• Announcements

• Shane D.

Evernote Webinars   12/01/2017

We've recently begun conducting Evernote Webinars for various topics and subjects. Take a look at the Calendar to check them out, and see if they interest you! Keep an eye out as there will be more to come in the future!
inconsequentia

How to Turn Off Work Chat?

How do I get rid of the new 'Work Chat' button in the Mac Client's toolbar?

I don't want it and I don't want to have to see it. 

There should be a way to disable the feature and any of its mentions wholesale. If it takes a Premium subscription to be able to get rid of Work Chat, I will pay for Premium just to have that.

I know I can just 'not use it' – but that's not enough.

• Like 6

That’s a shame. I am certain that this 'Work Chat' is a great tool but there are two fundamental problems with it:

1. It's fairly aggressive to shove major features in people’s faces like that, especially when

2. Some of us use Evernote to do intimate, personal creative work. The Evernote window is a safe space and even the suggestion of outside interference is enough to threaten the perceived safety of the workspace that we inhabit for so many hours a day.

Here's hoping that an update rectifies this by giving us the ability to opt out. I'm sure this sounds batshit crazy to some of you but it would be enough to quit Evernote, and I've been a user since Evernote was in beta in 2008.

• Like 6

While I use EN both personally and at work, I also doubt I'll ever use this feature (I believe I'm the only one using EN at work as it is...)

So while it's nice to see this new feature added (I would have preferred audio recordings time cued to the text I'm entering), I have to admit constantly having that button sittng there, especially on my Note 3, taking up valuable screen space does become annoying quickly.'

That button could easily go into the triple-dot menu or better for me, a setting "Enable Work Chat Features" which can be ticked on if you really need it.

-Will

I completely agree with the feelings expressed her. I don't use Evernote for collaboration work so the chat buttons taking up space for me. It makes more sense for the "work" environment. For personal use, not so much. There needs to be a way to turn this feature off for those who are interested in using it.

• Like 6

Once again, we bump up against the fact that for some strange reason, Evernote DOES NOT HAVE A CONFIGURABLE TOOLBAR..!  Yeah, I know I keep banging on about this, but nobody seems to listen.

I have zero use for Workchat, BUT - that bloody button is right there in my face on my Mac client, right next to the "Add new page" button, but the "Email note" is now relegated two-deep in a menu, when I want it on the toolbar.  Alongside the Print button, that I also can't put on there.

And to make it worse, they've now done it on the iOS client too - there is a big button for "Chat" that I cannot get rid of. AARGGGHHH - I WANT IT ALL SWITCHED OFF AND BUTTONS GONE! 

And while we're on the subject of the iOS version, when oh when is Evernote going to do something about that stupidly tiny "two sloping arrow" button to make the note go full screen, that is too tiny for my big fingers, and is right below the Close button on my iPad, which I hit constantly while trying to make the note full-screen? I'm referring here to the iPad version (which also has the silly "Chat" button!)

Evernote - please listen - give us back our configurable toolbar on the desktop clients (especially the Mac one), and add an option to disable Workchat COMPLETELY on all clients, and if switched off, make that button disappear.

What is the point of having a button in our face if we're never going to use that function?

• Like 9

Totally agree with you. I hate it when new ideas are forced on you rather than made optional. I will never use work chat. Hate the concept. Hate the name. Evernote is for me, for my private notes and information. I don't want to share anything. Get your own bloody notes. Maybe it is time they should split Personal and Business into two separate products.

These days I'm using OneNote more and Evernote less, especially since Microsoft got its act together and put out pretty decent OneNote apps for iOS and Android. Evernote needs to raise its game, especially with the tired editor. I've been waiting years for page colours, macros, templates - all of which are possible with ON. In short, I'm running out of reasons to stick with Evernote.

• Like 2

Totally agree with you. I hate it when new ideas are forced on you rather than made optional. I will never use work chat. Hate the concept. Hate the name. Evernote is for me, for my private notes and information. I don't want to share anything. Get your own bloody notes. Maybe it is time they should split Personal and Business into two separate products.

These days I'm using OneNote more and Evernote less, especially since Microsoft got its act together and put out pretty decent OneNote apps for iOS and Android. Evernote needs to raise its game, especially with the tired editor. I've been waiting years for page colours, macros, templates - all of which are possible with ON. In short, I'm running out of reasons to stick with Evernote.

I have other far more pressing things that will ruin my day. I just ignore the button and the feature and move on. 

After all, it doesn't occupy additional computer resources and it doesn't do anything unless you tell it to, so, no impact to the system or my workflow (except for a the pixels devoted to displaying the button in the vexingly non-configurable toolbar).

Have been using Work Chat with colleagues. Hate it.

They have hidden the email option in the Notes toolbar;

impossible to tag a note unless the author has used the tags i want to;

hard to move shared note to non-shared folder

i have not worked out how to delete worksheets.

I love Evernote. Hate this latest iteration, unfortunately.

I have other far more pressing things that will ruin my day. I just ignore the button and the feature and move on. 

After all, it doesn't occupy additional computer resources and it doesn't do anything unless you tell it to, so, no impact to the system or my workflow (except for a the pixels devoted to displaying the button in the vexingly non-configurable toolbar).

It completely changed the way notes are shared is what it did.  Has had a major impact on our business, so in fact it does matter.

• Like 1

It completely changed the way notes are shared is what it did.  Has had a major impact on our business, so in fact it does matter.

All of the old ways of sharing notes still exist.

You can email notes to anyone (Note>more sharing>email note) (on iOS select the three dots>share>email, which is where it has always been)

You can make notes public (cmd-/)

you can make notebooks public (right click>publish notebook)

The only time you need to use work chat is to invite a fellow evernote user to collaborate on a notebook. In this case, I don't see what harm is being done because the recipient must be an Evernote user by definition (and this has always been the case, even before work chat).

Perhaps I have missed something. Where are you finding you are unable to share things the way you used to?

You can email notes to anyone (Note>more sharing>email note) (on iOS select the three dots>share>email, which is where it has always been)

The only time you need to use work chat is to invite a fellow evernote user to collaborate on a notebook. In this case, I don't see what harm is being done because the recipient must be an Evernote user by definition (and this has always been the case, even before work chat).

Perhaps I have missed something. Where are you finding you are unable to share things the way you used to?

When I try to share a note via email from a shared note, the send via email is grayed out.   This is how we shared an update in a note before.  Work chat also does not work from these notes.

Another Premium user who wants the option to disable Work Chat from all devices.

You cannot disable it. You *can* remove it from some of the UI on some devices (e.g. the left panel/sidebar and toolbars of the Windows client)

• Like 1

Another premium user who is annoyed by workchat's prominent positioning.  I use Evernote for personal notes, not in a workplace.  The workchat button is grating.

• Like 4

When I try to share a note via email from a shared note, the send via email is grayed out.   This is how we shared an update in a note before.  Work chat also does not work from these notes.

We had multiple premium accounts.  A notebook is shared from account A.  In the past account B could work on the note, then update our ordering person with an email share.  Now the email is greyed out on Account B.  This work chat really messed up our workflow, and made our lives miserable.  We are now attempting business because it is easier to share a notebook.  We do not need work chat to share anything.

We had multiple premium accounts.  A notebook is shared from account A.  In the past account B could work on the note, then update our ordering person with an email share.  Now the email is greyed out on Account B.  This work chat really messed up our workflow, and made our lives miserable.  We are now attempting business because it is easier to share a notebook.  We do not need work chat to share anything.

Actually if you put all of your employees and colleagues, such as your Ordering Person, into an Evernote Business account (which it sounds like you are based on the underlined text), then you will need Work Chat, because that is the primary means by which notes are shared between Evernote users. I suspect that on-boarding your other staff could make things like updating your orders person a bit easier actually, so long as they can wrapt heir heads around Evernote. 

That being said, some things just don't work for all people. It would be regrettable if Work Chat totally ruined your workflow even after you give it an honest chance. 

It might also be worth submitting a bug report via the support system about your greyed out email (I don't have two premium accounts so I can't test your situation for myself). It may be a bug, or another form of regression that Evernote may choose to address. 

Yes we have indeed spent almost three times as much on Business, so we could continue using it.  Work chat would not even work correctly in the scenario I presented.  Instead the receiver of the work chat would get an email  with a link that would take you to the web only.  Would not even show up in the desktop app.  For us the latest version including work chat really sucks.

Grateful to Scott for this tip - it is still possible to email without cutting and pasting. And I can try to answer Scott's last question

FROM SCOTT

"All of the old ways of sharing notes still exist.

The only time you need to use work chat is to invite a fellow evernote user to collaborate on a notebook. In this case, I don't see what harm is being done because the recipient must be an Evernote user by definition (and this has always been the case, even before work chat).

Perhaps I have missed something. Where are you finding you are unable to share things the way you used to?"

It's less convenient. I used to use the share option on the right hand side of the page to email notes, now can only choose chat. The chat is unpleasant to me and confusing for the people I send to. But what irked me was losing the convenience of the right hand option - the flow is much better for me. I thought there was no more simple way to email without the tedious link generate, copy open email and paste. So, it is a change. And an unpleasant one for me and the people I share notes with. HTH explain some of the comments by users. I looked for this forum with that helpless rage that comes from these sorts of changes. I just want to get things done, so the tweaks are bumps in the road. Maybe they are "good for me" but . . . :)

me too!  I am a sole proprietor, premium user, use this for work and business, but do not have any need for Work Chat.  I think it is probably a great addition, but want to be able to turn it off and turn off all annoying popup messages about it.  please!

I have it removed from my left bar, but I still get all kinds of reminders.

Looking forward to this in future updates.  thanks much!

• Like 2

Popups should only ever appear once per install (if you reinstall the app, you'll be subject to a barrage of popups again). 

Aside from the icon in the toolbar, Work Chat shouldn't really even be in your way if you never need it. It doesn't consume additional resources and aside from the (usually) one-time popup, it shouldn't really be something you ever notice. 

Are you seeing Work Chat use up resources or prevent you from doing what you normally do? Perhaps I've missed something in my day-to-day use. 

Yes, you can hide it from Evernote desktop, but not so lucky with other platforms. On Android it takes up a prominent chunk of precious screen space above "All Notes" and "Notebooks". And with both iOS and Android it adopts an icon very similar to the familiar "Share" icon which you use to export notes or open in other apps and worse still relegates that feature onto the three-dots "more" menu so its very easy to tap that button to mail or print a note and find yourself confronted with the work chat dialogue. New features are all very well but they should let users opt in rather than have to opt out and at the very least give users the option of opting out. I know some of you think we are overreacting to this but when you like something you don't want to see it messed with. Remember the fiasco when they changed the Coke recipe? Or how about the free U2 album on iTunes? ASK people if they want something before just giving it to them.

• Like 2

My desktop did have the pop-up one time, but on my android it is a pop-up prompt every time I click share. Not even just in the list ... a push for work chat. I do not like it

• Like 1

My desktop did have the pop-up one time, but on my android it is a pop-up prompt every time I click share. Not even just in the list ... a push for work chat. I do not like it

• Like 1