Introducing Work Chat

• Ex Employees

WorkChat-Logo.png

Work Chat lets you discuss your work with the individuals that will help you get it done, right in Evernote. Share notes and notebooks, exchange ideas, and get feedback from colleagues in an instant. You can share and collaborate with as many, or as few, people as you like. The notes and notebooks that you reference will show up in the chats so that they’re easy to open and find.

To make all of this work beautifully, we’ve enabled read/write sharing of single notes and opened read/write notebook sharing to all users. Plus, when you email a note to someone, it’ll show up in Work Chat so you have an permanent communication history.

Part_10_1.jpg

When we decided to introduce the concept of ‘people’ into Evernote, we knew that the best decisions come from a combination of communication and awareness—an ambient knowledge of what your team is working on. It’s like popping your head over your monitor to ask what your neighbor is up to.

There’s an important connection built through knowing what others are working on. That’s how it is in real life, so that’s how it should be in Evernote.

Part_4_1.jpg

Soon, you’ll notice that shared notes and notes will show the faces of your teammates. These faces indicate that the individuals are actively engaged with the content that you both have access to. The fascinating aspect of this feature is that it’s not just happening within the note that you’re currently viewing. You’ll see these images in your note and notebook lists. This tells you that a colleague is working on something even if you’re not looking at it. All of a sudden, you have a reason to start a conversation in Work Chat or review what they’re adding. All without ever leaving your workspace.

Coming soon
This is a major new step in Evernote’s development. We’ve spent years building a great product for individuals, and in November we’re adding a truly collaborative, social component that will improve the quality of your work. Work Chat is coming soon to all major desktop, web, mobile, and tablet versions of Evernote. Stay tuned at the Evernote blog!

THIS is the set of collaborative tools Evernote has been bragging about for years, but never had until now. I think this will be a very, very, useful addition to bringing Evernote closer to the collaboration tool it has always claimed to be. 

We're super excited about all of this, but my personal little tapdance is going to be reserved for single note read/write sharing, which is introduced with Work Chat.

We're super excited about all of this, but my personal little tapdance is going to be reserved for single note read/write sharing, which is introduced with Work Chat.

Especially when housing a virtual Kanban Board. I know Evernote had previously pushed for "remembering" our information vs. task management... but it would be a pity if these awesome new collaboration tools did not extend to the ability to collaborate in real time on any set of tasks among team members, similar to Trello and other apps in whatever shape or form. I'm not particularly pushing for task management in Evernote... but the new Work Chat in tandem with the growing set of collaboration tools needs to find a way to consolidate task management. Not just in the form of checklists - but at the very least provide us with an easy way to create a Kanban template with the dimensions we want which can be copied to an Evernote note for team collaboration. Maybe Evernote will create a totally new document type that we can embed in our notes... and edit right there, with a set of Evernote tools similar to annotating. Come to think of it, one can drag and drop elements in Skitch and in the Evernote app annotation. Haha, maybe therein lies our collaborative Kanban board :-)

YES agreed.

I am very stoked for these features. While my wishlist is still long, the announcements today have me excited about evernote again!

Like a kid in a candy store. Even though I don't eat much candy.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Ex Employees
You may have noticed a new ‘Work Chat’ button in your account. Work Chat is our newest feature which allows for collaboration and communication from within Evernote.

With Work Chat, you can:

• Share individual notes
  • Chat others from within Evernote

• See who’s viewing or editing a note

Work Chat is available on iOS, Android, Web and both Desktop Clients. Full details on this feature can be found in the following Knowledge Base articles:

Also, from a forum perspective--we're going to be religiously tagging Work Chat threads with "Work Chat" so our product gurus can filter and find them very quickly and easily by product. If you see or post up with feedback, please tag it with Work Chat, it would be much appreciated! We'll be doing the same.

• Level 5*

What happened to the below post that I received via notification email:

Hi guys! I use Evernote as a personal tool, not a collaboration service. Is there some way to disable Work Chat on the new android client?

• Level 5*

I was wondering the same thing - work chat is just clutter to me - how do I disable it and remove the button? 

In the WIndows client, you could try right-clicking on it in the left panel, and selecting "Remove from Sidebar", but I don't see any entry in View / Left Panel that would allow you to restore it (I'd bet that there is a registry setting, though, I just haven't checked it out yet).

• Level 5

I was wondering the same thing - work chat is just clutter to me - how do I disable it and remove the button? 

In the WIndows client, you could try right-clicking on it in the left panel, and selecting "Remove from Sidebar", but I don't see any entry in View / Left Panel that would allow you to restore it (I'd bet that there is a registry setting, though, I just haven't checked it out yet).

The left panel menu item is misnamed "Show Messages". That was the old name for Work Chat; we'll fix that.

• Level 5

On the Mac client (5.7) how can I remove the "New Chat" button? It is annoyingly close to the "New Note" button and I don't want to use the chat feature. Is there a hidden setting or plist I can edit somewhere to shut this off?

I40fFIL.png

On the Mac client (5.7) how can I remove the "New Chat" button? It is annoyingly close to the "New Note" button and I don't want to use the chat feature. Is there a hidden setting or plist I can edit somewhere to shut this off?

I40fFIL.png

THIS. Evernote is increasingly a lifestyle brand based on clarity via clean design, so the lack of being able to do even the most basic toolbar customization is frustrating. For every elegant UI element added, you give us the awkward preferences dialog inputs and a new toolbar button that isn't removable and doesn't have a correct inactive window state on Mac.

• Level 5*

Evernote designers always seem to be so concerned about "clutter".

Well, I have no need for WorkChat, and it's buttons and UI are cluttering my toolbar.

Please give us an option to turn it off.

• Level 5*

There is an important discussion about Work Chat going on in the EN for Mac 5.7 thread.

There seems to be a large outcry from long time users about the lost of email from Evernote, and the aggressive pushing by Evernote to get everyone to use Work Chat instead.

This post sums it up nicely:

The old "email note" functionality is getting deprecated. You can now email a note by clicking share and typing someone's email. This provides a better experience for the recipient because it doesn't rely on their email client to render a version of the note with limited capabilities.

The most reliable way to send a read-only copy of a note from Evernote is with Work Chat. If you do not want to send via Evernote, a public note link will ensure reliable delivery and rendering.

1 ) Work Chat does not allow me to send a static version of the note (i.e. if I make further changes to the note after sending, those changes will reflect in the note the recipient receives)

2 ) Work Chat requires the recipient to sign up for Evernote

3 ) Sending a public note link is less secure and unacceptable alternative in many cases.

4 ) I don't always want to chat about notes that I send, I just want to send them.

5 ) I have never had any one complain that notes which I forwarded were not formatted correctly.

I have been an Evernote premium user since 2008 and have never considered migrating to other note application but this type of attitude toward users (i.e. we're deprecating this useful feature, too bad you liked it and found it useful) is making me strongly consider that route.

I'm trying to share a note with a colleague today and the only way to send it today is via this work chat thing. 

Getting my colleague to use Evernote is NOT going to happen.  So, for me to no longer be able to simply send an email means that it's harder for me to use Evernote for my own needs while meeting the needs of my colleague.

PLEASE - bring back the straight email this note option.

Thanks,

Melinda

"Work Chat" is not bad. But it cannot replace "shared by email" completely. Work Chat is similar to IM, which requires instant feedback. But most of the time we prefer low speed asynchronous communication via email.

BTW, is there a way to "fork" (make a new private copy) of the shared note via Work Chat? Should this feature request belongs to a better thread, please point me to the right place. Thanks.

• Ex Employees

Emailing out of your desktop clients is still available but with a little different flow. 

Windows - Select Share >  Send by Email...

Mac - Right click on a note > Select Share > Email Note

+1 for a configurable toolbar. (Sorry - I know I've been harping on about this for umpteen versions of EN).

Also, repeating my heartfelt plea from the other thread for keeping the ability to email a note (work chat requires the other person to have Evernote), and also to put it back where it belongs - on the Share button.  Now it's buried two levels deep in a menu!

Also +1 for being able to configure the bar and remove the button.

Currently an evernote premium user, would quite like to be able to configure the product to my spec. rather than have features forced on me. Doesnt seem a great way to enable a good user experience.

That deleted post about disabling it was me: I realised afterwards that it was the very first user response, which seemed unnecessarily negative for a new feature that a lot of people have worked very hard on! Would still be nice to be able to hide the button, though :)

I just used it with a colleague and there is about a 10-15 minute delay between when I send a chat and the person receives it. Does not sound like chat to me...sounds like really slow email. What gives?

I'm with Mark on this one.

I thought for some reason it would be instant, but messages only come through when you sync!

I don't think I can find a use for this in my company, or am I missing something?

To be honest, if I want instant comms with any company individual, supplier or customer nothing seems to beat facebook! I am sure some of you have better solutions.

Regards

Chris

Although not instant (there's a few-second delay for me), in my experience, even on desktop, it does not require a sync to have the messages populate. They may need to put a lot more work into it to have it running "smoothly" for all users - if they choose to use it.

I am all for Evernote expanding and providing new features... but I think they're assuming a lot here if they're expecting their current user base to automatically start using the features they tack on. I'm sure it will be useful to some users in some of their use cases, provided they have the collaboration material in Evernote to begin with... but it doesn't make sense for a number of reasons:

From the beginning, Evernote expressed that they were not going to move into the area of task management - and it seems like the implementation of the "Reminders" feature last year was just sort of throwing people a bone. Although the diversity of what you can do in Evernote allows one to wangle a full-on task-management system out of it... it is not that intuitive to figure out. Take, for example, these 2 posts I made on setting up a full task-management solution in Evernote, which although I do not personally use, some people have raved about:

http://www.productivitymashup.com/blog/2014/10/7/kanban-calendar-evernote-series-1-of-5

http://www.productivitymashup.com/blog/2014/10/16/kanban-calendar-evernote-series-2-of-5

So I'm not saying that Evernote is not capable of being an integrated solution for the stuff we need to do - but rather, they do not as of yet have an intuitive integrated solution. I don't see people fully warming to a collaboration tool unless they can manage tasks within that tool. Trello, Asana and Basecamp are just a few decent teamwork-oriented platforms which Evernote cannot as of yet match up to. Not even close. They do task management and collaboration. 

I think they're putting the cart before the horse on this one, because people are not going to drop their task management platforms to start using Evernote as such, especially not for Work Chat, which allows one to collaborate - but on what? I get that if the material were created within Evernote or can be edited within Evernote then Work Chat is the logical progression for communicating on that - but people are really loathe to attempt tasks management across multiple platforms. 

The catch-22 I foresee here is that if Evernote were to somehow  come out with their own in-house solution to rival other collaboration tools (inherently task-management tools) - they'd be shooting themselves in the foot by alienating 3rd party apps that are built around Evernote for task management (Gneo/ Sunrise Calendar, etc, etc.). It is these 3rd party apps that have directly contributed to Evernote's success over the years. They directly promote Evernote. And then to suddenly come out with better, more integrated solutions in-app - this would make them obsolete. Either Evernote bolsters the task-management area which can be integrated into Work Chat and risk losing the support (and the good-will) of countless app developers... or they keep the spirit of their open API alive and well, at the expense of not giving their work space a boost. This is the thing: an all-purpose work space would not only provide an environment in which to write, capture creative ideas and have the material they need surface - but equally as important - it would need to have an integration of task management solutions for their collaboration tools to have a fighting chance. As it stands, I think Work Chat - for the vast majority -  is only worth tinkering around with. Evernote most definitely needs to find their missing puzzle pieces for people to fully embrace specifically the Work Chat thing

The concept and vision they have now (which intrigues me) simply does not currently have the tools in place to be a serious contender (specifically in the area of collaboration). A small part of the idea - which I think is very smart - would be to have Work Chat cut out unnecessarily copious numbers of company/ work-related emails flooding one's inbox - which is in line with, as they say, making work "suck less". That's a big part of the whole "inbox zero" area of productivity - and tools that facilitate this by providing more instant communication means to help combat unnecessary emails have been around for years. Evernote needs to seriously do its homework in the area of task management/ productivity and the concepts surrounding it - if not, they're not going to fully understand why their brilliant ideas in this area will not gain the momentum they hope to achieve.

I'm fine with the change in Evernote's vision. I'm comfortable with it... but they are mere babes in the area they're trying to tap into. The challenge of Evernote's reinvented/ re-imagined vision, mid-stride, as it relates to the area of collaboration, is that they have not, over the years, built the key foundations they need in the area of task management - and are now coming out with a tool that would really need this if people are to stick with it long-term. 

Hi Frank,

I am far from a software tech, but I cannot see how it can pass the information without a sync? Surely that is the basis of Evernote? 

Checking it in the office, it only seems to work after a sync has taken place. Not got the time for extensive tests, but that is what it appears to be.

Best regards

Chris

Hey Chris,

I'm probably further than you at understanding these tech issues... but all I can say is that when I tested it out with another user from the forums here, it updated at regular intervals, which seems to suggest that it may be an independent thing to the EN sync which you can set to auto sync at a minimum of 15 minutes on desktop. I tested it out on both desktop and on iOS... there was a slight lag time on desktop (Windows).  They might have to iron things out for it to work in real time for everyone... but for all intents and purposes it seemed to be working in real time... even on desktop.

So hopefully you can figure out what's going wrong there...

Cheers,

Frank

• Level 5*

Once established, work chat seems to be fairly quick at shipping messages back and forth - a second or so?.

Work chat isn't dealing with notes, correct? So it makes sense that it's not involved with the note syn process. Remember there's also note locking going on as well, and while that's related to note syncing, it doesn't entail a sync operation. Interesting that we're not seeing work chat info logged in the activity log on Windows.

Once established, work chat seems to be fairly quick at shipping messages back and forth - a second or so?.

Work chat isn't dealing with notes, correct? So it makes sense that it's not involved with the note syn process. Remember there's also note locking going on as well, and while that's related to note syncing, it doesn't entail a sync operation. Interesting that we're not seeing work chat info logged in the activity log on Windows.

Yep... I'd say about a second or two, in my experience. More instant on iOS.

Not sure I understand the thing about dealing with notes... but the editing of notes shared via Work Chat is updated immediately too... once you save and exit, I think. I think Work Chat has it's own sort of activity log... in that the icon turns blue (on Windows desktop) and shows an unread message count. The chat that appears, I guess, would be the actual activity log/ record itself, so to speak. Not permanent if you delete it, though. 

Ah!

If you only send one message and nothing for a while, it seems to take a few minutes.

But once you get a conversation going it is fairly instant.

Is it the same if you are in different locations or does it only work across a network?

Regards

Chris

• Level 5*

Not sure I understand the thing about dealing with notes... but the editing of notes shared via Work Chat is updated immediately too... once you save and exit, I think. I think Work Chat has it's own sort of activity log... in that the icon turns blue (on Windows desktop) and shows an unread message count. The chat that appears, I guess, would be the actual activity log/ record itself, so to speak. Not permanent if you delete it, though. 

Ah. Just talking about the chat part of things. I didn't know about the note sharing aspect of that. I would think that sync would be part of that, but whether its triggered via the normal sync stuff, or it's coordinated with the chat stream, I don't know.

I think this is pretty much how the note collaboration works in Work Chat:

- You share a note via Work Chat (depending on options on whatever platform)

- notes can be edited back and forth between collaborators... But the note will not show up in your notes list unless it has been shared with you the "old, regular" way.

In other words, someone can "share" a note via Work Chat, but it will not show up in your note list/ account unless there's been a sort of double sharing via 2 processes, including the sharing we had before. If not, the note can always be accessed again through the attachment shared within the Work Chat dialogue.

My question is whether there is a way to share a note via Work Chat and also have it automatically appear in your note list for you to search at any point.

How do I remove the workchat buttons in my sidebar and toolbar? It's taking up space of my most used areas (recent notes, new note) so now I'm constantly having to avoid clicking on these buttons.

I'm all for evernote adding new collaborative features, but please don't force it down our throats, some of us use evernote as our own personal external memory, not a tool for collaboration.

It cannot be removed from the toolbar, as the toolbar has not been modifiable for several years for some strange reason. 

To remove it from the sidebar, the process is identical to all the other sidebar elements. Right click and select "remove from sidebar", or:

view>sidebar options>Work Chat

Hi Phil,

I assume you are using an iOS client or Mac client.  If so, we asked for contact permissions for other reasons as well, not just with Work Chat.  If you've ever emailed your notes to someone or shared a notebook with someone, we will ask for access to your Contacts to populate those UIs.   On the web client we also prompt you at some point to connect to your Google Contacts so that we can help you email your notes and share notebooks as well so your contact information could be coming through that route.

If you use business card scanning, we will ask for access to your Contacts when you choose to save the card information to your Contacts.  

There is no other means for us to surreptitiously access your contacts without your permission.

You may have noticed a new ‘Work Chat’ button in your account. Work Chat is our newest feature which allows for collaboration and communication from within Evernote.

Actually I have not seen that button.

The last update on my Nexus 7 first generation made the app so slow that I open it like ones per week or so.

Form should follow function and I have seen so many apps that wanted to look good with less working functions, please go back to the function part before you do any form parts.

Bug? -

Windows 7

Evernote version 5.7.1.5586

When I select one or more notes and select to share them in Work Chat, once I send the mail, the tags I had specified on the notes are all removed.

A tag belongs to your account.  If you share a note, you wouldn't want someone to change your tags and it is debatable as to whether or not your tags would make sense to someone else.  

• Level 5*

Bug? -

Windows 7

Evernote version 5.7.1.5586

When I select one or more notes and select to share them in Work Chat, once I send the mail, the tags I had specified on the notes are all removed.

A tag belongs to your account.  If you share a note, you wouldn't want someone to change your tags and it is debatable as to whether or not your tags would make sense to someone else.  

You guys (Evernote) continue to make sweeping assumptions about your users that are flawed.

IMO, IF the user is sharing with a close-net group, the Tags on the Notes are most likely very relevent, and will be clearly understood by the people with whom the note is shared.

At a MINIMUM, you should give the transmitting user the option of whether or not to include Tags.

Please stop acting like you guys always know best.  This is just not possible with a user base of 100M+.

Hi JMichael,

Sorry if I wasn't clear.  

Currently there is no way to share a tag btw 2 accounts unless they are a part of a business.  We did not include tags in shared notes due to this reason and didn't feel it was a big issue because of the reasons I mentioned before.  If you guys feel strongly that we need to include it, we'll consider it for a future release.  

This is just the first release of Work Chat.  We will continue to listen to your input and use cases to look for ways to improve the feature over time.  

Thanks for the feedback.

• Level 5*

Hi JMichael,

Sorry if I wasn't clear.  

Currently there is no way to share a tag btw 2 accounts unless they are a part of a business.  We did not include tags in shared notes due to this reason and didn't feel it was a big issue because of the reasons I mentioned before.  If you guys feel strongly that we need to include it, we'll consider it for a future release.  

This is just the first release of Work Chat.  We will continue to listen to your input and use cases to look for ways to improve the feature over time.  

Thanks for the feedback.

This is NOT correct.

When you share a NB in just a Premium/Free account, the recipients can view/use the Tags assigned to the Notes of that NB.

In fact, there is a bug/issue, that if the recipient unjoins the shared NB, the Tags remained in their account.

• Level 5*

A common, shared vocabulary for categorizing notes is a pretty good collaboration feature, I would have thought. I even use a simple set of tags to manage to-do lists in both of my accounts, which also have shared notebooks. Why use two separate vocabularies for what is in essence the same process?

If you have the same tag (say "A") in two separate accounts, things can get a little weird (in the Windows client at least):

Search: a search across all notes will turn up any note, from either account, that has tag "A". OK, so search just uses the tag's literal label; it doesn't take into account the source account of the tag. That makes sense to me. However, the flip side is that you cannot, in search, make the distinction if you want to. That is, I cannot search for notes that have the "A" from account 1 specifically. Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad one; it might be a nice-to-have for some folks.

UI: if you do a search on "A", the search controls (both of them) will show two "A" tag icons, even though they're identical in terms of search (the search explanation exhibits no such silliness). Moreover, you cannot delete them by clicking on the hover 'x', as you can for non-duplicate tags. You click on it, and it just stays there with its twin.

Of course, they're both sitting in the tag list, side-by-side, even though they are functionally equivalent.

I've peeved about this before; not a huge annoyance, just a quirky corner of the Windows V5 experience. The notion of shared identical tags has seemed to be not quite fully baked, as if nobody really wanted to think it through and make them look and behave consistently. Is "A" the same tag, functionally, no matter where it comes from? Then it probably makes sense to treat it as such when presenting it in the UI. Of course, then you have to weed out all of the places where it makes sense to make a distinction -- "hey, I deleted tag 'A', but it won't go away" sort of thing.

Any word yet about giving Android and other mobile clients a way to turn off and/or hide the Work Chat function?

Amen - in the latest update I have to keep getting rid of "helpful" prompts that wanted to tell me about how wonderful workchat is. 

Any word yet about giving Android and other mobile clients a way to turn off and/or hide the Work Chat function?

It isn't a feature I am actively using, but it is also a feature I don't even notice. There's no discernible impact on performance on any of my machines, so I am not sure what benefit I would receive by turning it "off".... 

Aside from the small segment of pixels occupied by the work chat button, is Work Chat interfering with your use of Evernote in any way? 

Amen - in the latest update I have to keep getting rid of "helpful" prompts that wanted to tell me about how wonderful workchat is. 

Those prompts, annoying though they may be, should only appear once on each device Evernote is installed on. They should only appear again if you do a fresh install. 

I40fFIL.png

Totally agree.  I've hit this several times when I want to open new note.   Developers Please hear us; give us a way to remove from tool bar!  I will never use work chat.

I like how the new Work Chat is rolling out, but allowing users to email the note directly to intended recipient should still be around instead of implementing users to do it indirectly via share. A little draconian on the way how EN is promoting Work Chat  <_<

Please have an unsubscribe button on the spammy emails I am getting informing me about unread chats I haven't read.

Otherwise I will mark the mail as spam in gmail and this could impact delivery on other users with similar content.

I can't read it  on my mobile as my app isn't compatible and I don't want to be spammed relentlessly on my desk top.

Please have an unsubscribe button on the spammy emails I am getting informing me about unread chats I haven't read.

Otherwise I will mark the mail as spam in gmail and this could impact delivery on other users with similar content.

I can't read it  on my mobile as my app isn't compatible and I don't want to be spammed relentlessly on my desk top.

That sounds frustrating. 

However, and thankfully, this is configurable: (Screenshot)

https://www.evernote.com/l/ABnEZEnmHa1Fq4HMZmScqyvx4b9IDfr_Ljg

Evernote.com>Account Settings>Personal Settings

I've twice tried to share an entire notebook using what *used* to be the "share" icon. (remember the little curved arrow that was on each notebook? It's no longer a share arrow, but a Work Chat icon)

Anyway, when you hit the icon, it opens a work chat window and asks you to enter a user name OR email address. 

When I entered an email address, I got a pop-up message that said, "Participant is not a business member."

Does this mean that I can't share a notebook with someone unless they have an Evernote Business account? 

Or does it mean that the person isn't listed as a "Member" of MY business in my Admin Console?

In any case, I am no longer able to email / share a notebook. I hope this is just a bug in the new release, as I CAN still share an individual note with anyone I like, regardless of whether they have an Evernote account or not. 

Anyone have input on this? 

Thanks!

I've twice tried to share an entire notebook using what *used* to be the "share" icon. (remember the little curved arrow that was on each notebook? It's no longer a share arrow, but a Work Chat icon)

Anyway, when you hit the icon, it opens a work chat window and asks you to enter a user name OR email address. 

When I entered an email address, I got a pop-up message that said, "Participant is not a business member."

Does this mean that I can't share a notebook with someone unless they have an Evernote Business account? 

Or does it mean that the person isn't listed as a "Member" of MY business in my Admin Console?

In any case, I am no longer able to email / share a notebook. I hope this is just a bug in the new release, as I CAN still share an individual note with anyone I like, regardless of whether they have an Evernote account or not. 

Anyone have input on this? 

Thanks!

Copied from my reply to a discussion on the same issue:

Ok, so there are a few distinctions that need to be made:

1) There is the private sharing of a notebook

2) There is the "public" sharing of a notebook.

With respect to 1, there has never been a way to privately share a notebook with a non-evernote user. The only way to share a notebook with a non-evernote user is to go with option 2, which is to generate a "public" link. I put public in quotes because it is only public in the sense that you could post that link in a public place and everyone could access it. If you never posted that link, it'd be a stroke of luck that somebody stumbled upon it. 

When you privately share a notebook as in 1, you can grant view and edit privileges. This requires (and always has required that the recipient be an Evernote user)

When you publicly share a notebook, as in 2, you can only grant view privileges. This does not require, and never has required, a recipient (or visitor?) to be an Evernote user.

Changes

There have been no changes to either option 1 or option 2. 

First, for option 2, you can still invite any existing Evernote user to your notebook and grant them view, or view and edit privileges. The main change here is that the default mechanism is to send this invitation via Work Chat instead of by email alone. This isn't such a big deal since your recipient will always also be an Evernote user with Work Chat. 

Second, for option 1, you can still generate public links that allow non-evernote users to view your notebook. This is done by right-clicking on the notebook and selecting "publish notebook". 

So, as of version 6.0.1, you can do all the same sharing that you could in 5.X.X.

I've been trying out the new Work Chat feature.

I use Evernote for Windows with the Left Panel hidden - I always have done. This makes Work Chat impossible to use because there is no way to get to the Work Chat list without clicking on the Work Chat button at the top of the left panel.

Back when the UI was redesigned (for v5?) we had the same issue with not being able to get to the 'All Notes' list without having the Left panel visible. Then Evernote released a version which enabled you to add a "All Notes" button to the toolbar.

Can we have the same option to add a "Work Chats" button to the toolbar, please?

Thanks!

• Level 5*

Can we have the same option to add a "Work Chats" button to the toolbar, please?

Interesting. The Windows client has a "New Chat" button that you can place on the toolbar, but not a "Work Chat" button. That'd probably be useful. That, plus a keyboard shortcut, and the ability to add it to your Shortcuts.

No, for me it's justva minor annoyance. I just wondered since it seems to be more than an easily ignored feature for some users.

It isn't a feature I am actively using, but it is also a feature I don't even notice. There's no discernible impact on performance on any of my machines, so I am not sure what benefit I would receive by turning it "off"....

Aside from the small segment of pixels occupied by the work chat button, is Work Chat interfering with your use of Evernote in any way?

I've been with Evernote almost since day one. And I've been Premium almost as long. I use it for personal stuff and I love how personal Evernote feels. Now I see Evernote going the way of many of the apps in the mobile/cloud market, increasingly focusing on "business" users to cash in on the higher profit margins. That's perfectly fine and I want Evernote to have a sustainable business model so it doesn't end up like Springpad - dead.  But here's the rub - I don't have any need for Work Chat. It impersonalizes my Evernote experience, clutters up my UI and I'd like ability to turn it off please. Keep the business features and business marketing focused on your business users. Let personal users keep Evernote personal. Some people do not want work to pervade everything. Thank you.

I've been using Evernote for years and am flummoxed by the way the new "Work Chat" has been pushed into the sharing function.  I don't think I'd ever need the Work Chat feature, but I do need to be able to setup shared notebooks with individuals.  Please make it easy and clear how to accomplish this.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm definitely voting to bring back the easy option of sharing a note through a simple email and not "work chat" it's misleading to the Evernote primary user and the person they're sharing with. One of my fav features of EN was that I was able to share notes EASILY via email to anyone, whether or not they used EN. Please just reserve this for business users, "work chat" does absolutely nothing for me. Luckily I scoured the forum and was able to find a loophole where I can right click and still share via email (thank God) but if it were 1 button press away that'd be ideal. 

The reason I don't want to use "work chat" to email a note is b/c if I share it w/ someone who doesn't user EN I'd be scared that they'd just ignore the email entirely rather than registering for an EN account. If I share the note via email using the additional sharing options, I have the peace of mind that the recipient will get the information I'm sending them within the email and won't face any barriers (attachments, user registration etc) to get the info making it quick and easy for them.

don't know if this thread already covered this topic, but, i would like to know how to save the note my friend shared with me. She shared with me a view-only note and i was not able to save it. after i hit the "done" button, it just disappeared. I can't seem to find it back. 

Can someone provide some guidance?

THANKS!

• 3 weeks later...

Please don't cross-post. Once is enough. Thanks.

Hello! We are UX students at General Assembly London, and have been tasked to produce a full communication/chat solution for Project management tools as part of our coursework. We'd love to get your input via a short 5 min survey to help us understand our users and their needs. Thank-you and feel free to pass on, http://bit.ly/1tN7TLu

I40fFIL.png

+1  This is a pain in the ****

I have no use whatsoever for a 'chat' feature as I only use Evernote for my personal notes so this button is just a fugly waste of space on a toolbar that can't be customised. Every other Mac app allows the user to customise the toolbar except Evernote!

Worse still is that if the window is smaller and the notebook name is longer it will push the search box off the toolbar altogether. i.e. hide the thing I use all the time to force feed a feature I'll never use - GREAT!

evernote-toolbar.png

Is there any way to share a notebook without going thru work chat?  I've shared that way redently and I am not sure it works or connects to the evernote users i want to share with....this seems to have changed from the old method of sharing...anyone know why?

Sorry if this has been asked before but we can you share without using chat?  What used to be simple and straightforward is no not. I want to share files not chat. 

I dislike the thought of having to move our team from evernote but we hate chat.

You're not the only one who hates WorkChat. I've been trying (in vain) to get my head around it and still no luck. I share things with people and I have no idea if they ever receive them because WorkChat doesn't make it clear WHO you can "work chat" with. So I might *think* I'm sharing a notebook with someone but who really knows? Evernote doesn't tell me anything once I've shared it. Again I'll say that Evernote has gotten too complex. It used to be straightforward and now it's no longer user friendly. Such a bummer. 

don't know if this thread already covered this topic, but, i would like to know how to save the note my friend shared with me. She shared with me a view-only note and i was not able to save it. after i hit the "done" button, it just disappeared. I can't seem to find it back. 

Can someone provide some guidance?

THANKS!

Hello ninjapiggy,

It depends on how the note was shared.  If the person sent you a link via email or some other means, you should be able to click on the link again and in the web page that appears, there should be a button to "Save a Copy" of the note to your account.

If someone shared the note with you via Work Chat, the thread of discussion you had with that person should still contain the link to the note which you can tap / click on to find the note.  Currently there isn't a way to copy a note shared with you via Work Chat as this is geared more for collaborating around the note.  I.e. If your friend wanted your feedback on the note or wanted you to contribute something, you could edit the note right from the chat thread OR provide your comments via chat.  

If you have a long discussion with this person on Work Chat the link still exists via the thread.  You just need to tap the (i) or Chat Details button to see all the notes and notebooks shared via that chat.  We are looking at better ways to expose this information as we learn how people use this feature more.  If you have any suggestions please feel free to comment.  Thanks.

Sorry if this has been asked before but we can you share without using chat?  What used to be simple and straightforward is no not. I want to share files not chat. 

I dislike the thought of having to move our team from evernote but we hate chat.

You're not the only one who hates WorkChat. I've been trying (in vain) to get my head around it and still no luck. I share things with people and I have no idea if they ever receive them because WorkChat doesn't make it clear WHO you can "work chat" with. So I might *think* I'm sharing a notebook with someone but who really knows? Evernote doesn't tell me anything once I've shared it. Again I'll say that Evernote has gotten too complex. It used to be straightforward and now it's no longer user friendly. Such a bummer. 

Hello War Eagle, Frenchgirl,

I'd like to understand a bit more why you feel notebook sharing is now harder with Work Chat than before.

Previously when you shared a notebook with someone, you specified their email address and we would deliver the notification via email.  The recipients were required to create Evernote accounts to add their content or edit notes in that notebook.  There was not notification about someone acting on your invitation.  You would only know if someone added content to the notebook.

With Work Chat, the requirements on the recipients are the same but the invitation process and the feedback should be much more efficient and immediate.  With Work Chat you can share a notebook with anyone regardless if they have an Evernote account or not.  The goal is that you shouldn't have to worry about the person's account status or delivery of the invitation.  Currently you can invite them via email or phone number.  

Once they receive the notification, the recipient is required to create an account as before.  Once they've done this, you have several means to get feedback. 

- The recipient can reply to your Work Chat to tell you

- If you and the recipient are viewing the same note or any content in the notebook, you should see their avatar in the note header or the note list of the notebook

- The recipient can add their own content as before.

If this wasn't made clear via our first launch experiences or marketing, please let us know so that we can help others understand.  If there are other concepts that aren't clear please let me know and I'll try to explain as well.

I understand that not everyone wants to share their Evernote content but I want to understand why people who want to collaborate feel we made things more difficult

Thanks for your feedback.

Work Chat is useless to me and to apparently a lot of other ENB users simply because of our business models. It's also not at all informative about what it's doing. For example: 

When I "shared" a notebook with myself to test the system, I entered my own alternative Yahoo email address and I got a warning box that says this: 

"You are sharing business notes or notebooks in this chat, which includes people outside your business. Click confirm to share with all chat participants."

Number one, I'm a consultant so EVERYONE on planet Earth is "outside my business" -- so does that mean I can't share the notebook? Number two, I'm not starting a "chat" of any kind -- I just wanted to share a notebook. Why is it asking me if I want to share the notebook with *everyone* on the chat when there is only ONE person I'm trying to share with and it's not even a chat?

So anyway, once I click 'confirm' I get another message in the window that says, (again):

"Chat participant is not a business member." 

Ok. Again, what does that mean FOR ME? Does it mean that my shared notebook didn't go through? Or am I just being informed that this person is not a business member and if so, why? What is the point in continually telling me that every single person I share with it not a business member? There is no context so you can't even tell whether it's an error message or not. It's utterly useless. So there I am, worried that wondering if the notebook that I just shared ever went to the intended recipient

The only reason I know it did go is because I checked my Yahoo email and it was there (although it took about ten minutes to come through). When I received the email I noticed it comes FROM Evernote and not from my name. This is a potential issue because if someone isn't already an Evernote user, they are unlikely to open an email addressed from Evernote, and it may even be filtered out as junk mail by their spam filters.

I guess my frustration and the frustrations I hear from so many other users on this forum is that note and notebook sharing worked JUST FINE before Work Chat. It's clunky, it's needlessly complex and there really seems to be a limited use case for it. 

• Level 5*

I'd like to understand a bit more why you feel notebook sharing is now harder with Work Chat than before.

It is unbelievable that Evernote does not get that chatting and sharing are two completely different things.

It should be extremely obvious to Evernote that there are many, many, use cases where the Evernote user does NOT want to engage in a real-time chat, but DOES what to share a Note, or a Notebook, with other people.  This happens all the time with consultants who are trying to provide their clients with information.  Maybe the client has asked a question, and the consultant is providing an answer from an EN Note.  A chat is NOT required, and, in fact, would be a BIG WASTE of time.

Evernote, are you really so blind????

I've been deliberately quiet for the last 2 or 3 weeks, as I was getting so frustrated by the apparent disdain in which Evernote holds the opinions of those who engage with them here.

However, the response above describing how we can share a NOTEBOOK with someone is completely, totally missing the point. I don't want to share a notebook - I just want to share a NOTE.

I keep patient information brochure sheets in Evernote, and after a consultation, I can email a copy of a single note - NOT A NOTEBOOK - to the patient. This has been a big help over the years, as patients often are so emotionally challenged by the consultation that they don't take it all in. And if they need an operation, they need to know all the risks, complications, etc. These are all in the information notes.

I most certainly do NOT want to share notebooks with them, I sure as heck do NOT want them to have to open Evernote accounts just to receive my notes, and I do NOT want them to be bamboozled by these strange requests and links for some chat function. I JUST WANT TO EMAIL THEM A NOTE. One note. A single note.

Yes, I can still do it, but you're gradually moving it out of sight - it's currently buried two deep in menus. And the toolbar, of course, is not customisable, so I can't add a button on there to "Email Note" like we used to be able to do.

Why can't Evernote just LISTEN to the opinions and wishes of those who have taken the trouble to engage with them on here?

Posted · Hidden by charboyd, January 16, 2015 - internal survey being shared
Hidden by charboyd, January 16, 2015 - internal survey being shared

Evernote just  sent out a survey on Workchat. I am part of a facebook group, one that teaches the use of evernote and overall consensuses is that people hate it. Only 1 person liked chatting with her assistant. I can use my 300 other chat options for that. Here is the link.

Make your voice heard. They are obviously aware there is a problem.

Online Survey Software | Qualtrics Survey Solutions

Where I think the developers and product managers at Evernote are having trouble is understanding that I want only one place to search for correspondence with my contacts - my email. If I had a discussion about a product design I sketched up in Penultimate, annotated in Skitch, and shared via Evernote, I don't want to have to search in two places for the discussion. I want to search my email. That's it.

Can you imagine if there was separate chat in Excel and Word and Photoshop and Illustrator for every conversation I've had about documents from those applications? It's asinine and the height of hubris to assume Evernote would somehow be different enough to violate this core workflow.

Devs, seriously - get rid of Work Chat. It doesn't work as intended, causes a great deal of user-confusion, and pushes people AWAY from your product. Stop trying to be something you're not.

I'm going to add my vote to business users who hate chat. I have zero use for chat. We use Podio for project management and have integrated Google apps with chat there as well. I have limited my team to ONLY Podio instant messages so we're not all going in a million directions. I did not want chat in Evernote. Can I say again how much I hate it? I tried to share a notebook today for a critical project and could not share it without using chat - and even then it felt entirely klugey and I wasn't ever really sure I had actually shared it. Then I got the whole "I thought we weren't using chat in Evernote" questions.

Please, please, please make chat an optional feature and decouple notebook sharing from it. I may have to go back to OneNote (shudders). 

Please, please, please make chat an optional feature and decouple notebook sharing from it. I may have to go back to OneNote (shudders). 

YES!! If you want to keep that stupid "chat" feature, by all means, keep it but let us: 

A: HIDE the chat button and 

B: UNCOUPLE it from notebook sharing! 

That's a brilliant solution for the 12 users worldwide who are actually using and have a need for "chat" within Evernote. 

Hello War Eagle, Frenchgirl,

Previously when you shared a notebook with someone, you specified their email address and we would deliver the notification via email.  The recipients were required to create Evernote accounts to add their content or edit notes in that notebook.  There was not notification about someone acting on your invitation.  You would only know if someone added content to the notebook.

With Work Chat, the requirements on the recipients are the same but the invitation process and the feedback should be much more efficient and immediate. With Work Chat you can share a notebook with anyone regardless if they have an Evernote account or not.  The goal is that you shouldn't have to worry about the person's account status or delivery of the invitation.  Currently you can invite them via email or phone number.  

Once they receive the notification, the recipient is required to create an account as before.  Once they've done this, you have several means to get feedback. 

- The recipient can reply to your Work Chat to tell you

- If you and the recipient are viewing the same note or any content in the notebook, you should see their avatar in the note header or the note list of the notebook

- The recipient can add their own content as before.

If this wasn't made clear via our first launch experiences or marketing, please let us know so that we can help others understand.  If there are other concepts that 

I understand that not everyone wants to share their Evernote content but I want to understand why people who want to collaborate feel we made things more difficult

Thanks for your feedback.

On the one hand (see your text which I bolded and turned red), you said that "With work chat you can share a notebook with anyone regardless of whether they have an Evernote account or not." 

But then just two lines later (see the second piece of test that I bolded and turned red), you said, "Once they receive the notification, the recipient is required to create an account as before." 

Sooooo do you see why I'm confused? 

AND (see the last piece of bold red text), where you said "I want to understand why people who want to collaborate feel we've made things more difficult."

It's because you DID make things more difficult. You really don't see that?

The simple process of sharing has been commingled with some useless "chat" feature which is confusing and doesn't inspire confidence that the person on the receiving end of the sharing has even gotten a notification. The process is convoluted and unnecessarily so. It's clear that Evernote is not reading the forums, not listening to your users and not grasping the concept that SHARING is not chatting, and CHATTING is not sharing.  From the vast amounts of negative feedback to work chat's release, most people have NO USE FOR CHATTING. You've made the process of sharing information convoluted and the lame communication throughout the rollout doesn't help. Finally the work chat interface is clunky and confusing for reasons I have posted on other posts within this thread.

Alright... Someone help me out please. I've been trying to get a chat to work. I am an author so I am  using Evernote to collaborate with my alpha readers but none of them (who all have the Evernote program on their computers and accounts) seem to be getting my chats. What am I doing wrong?

Alright... Someone help me out please. I've been trying to get a chat to work. I am an author so I am  using Evernote to collaborate with my alpha readers but none of them (who all have the Evernote program on their computers and accounts) seem to be getting my chats. What am I doing wrong?

I'm having the same issue. I have a gmail account that I use for personal use. This morning, in response to your question here on the forum, I tried to share an existing notebook with my own gmail account. It APPEARED to let me share it (the send button became clickable and I clicked it). Yet, as of an hour later, still NOTHING has arrived in my gmail mailbox. 

Then I created a NEW business notebook and shared it with my gmail account. This time, I can't share it with my same gmail address. The "send" button won't become clickable.

The interface for Work Chat makes no sense at all. Presumably, the top half of the window shows you old chats? And the bottom part of the window shows "contacts."

When I right click a notebook and select "SHARE" I can sometimes choose a "CHAT" and it will allow me to share. However, not ALL people in the chat window are able to be shared with! I have shared with my gmail account before with no problem, but today? No dice.

I CAN however, share with ANY CONTACT in the bottom half of the work chat window. 

Can ANYONE explain this? It's straight up confusing.

I'm having the same issue. I have a gmail account that I use for personal use. This morning, in response to your question here on the forum, I tried to share an existing notebook with my own gmail account. It APPEARED to let me share it (the send button became clickable and I clicked it). Yet, as of an hour later, still NOTHING has arrived in my gmail mailbox. 

Then I created a NEW business notebook and shared it with my gmail account. This time, I can't share it with my same gmail address. The "send" button won't become clickable.

The interface for Work Chat makes no sense at all. Presumably, the top half of the window shows you old chats? And the bottom part of the window shows "contacts."

When I right click a notebook and select "SHARE" I can sometimes choose a "CHAT" and it will allow me to share. However, not ALL people in the chat window are able to be shared with! I have shared with my gmail account before with no problem, but today? No dice.

I CAN however, share with ANY CONTACT in the bottom half of the work chat window. 

This work chat thing is supposed to work with free accounts too... I don't know what you are talking about with the contacts. All I know is that when I start a new chat, it only lets me go to outlook contacts (which I don't have) or type in an email address... Does Evernote have a contact book somewhere? (That would be nice... you know... to add people who create evernote accounts just to help you out..)

• Level 5*

Nikki, are you trying to share a single note or a notebook? Do you want your readers to respond to you via Evernote?

If it's a single note and you don't need the Evernote feedback loop then you can (on a mac) just share by email (Note/More Sharing).

Despite the protestations from Evernote staff this really seems like a half baked feature.

Nikki, are you trying to share a single note or a notebook? Do you want your readers to respond to you via Evernote?

If it's a single note and you don't need the Evernote feedback loop then you can (on a mac) just share by email (Note/More Sharing).

Despite the protestations from Evernote staff this really seems like a half baked feature.

It depends on the day. I have single notes and Notebooks I need to share (the reason they are not all one notebook is most of the single notes are completely unrelated to each other and the notebook). 

Just the fact that SO MANY experienced Evernote users are having trouble with Work Chat should be an indicator to EN that there's an issue with it. So unfortunate, as sharing is a very important part of using EN for business. 

If it's mainly single notes and you don't need all your feedback to come through Evernote then I'd use the email note feature and forget Work Chat.

What about those of us who need to share entire notebooks? You can't share a notebook using email unfortunately.

I have shared multiple notebooks with myself this morning and ZERO emails have hit my gmail letting me (as the recipient) know that a notebook was shared. This is really not good for anyone's business if they believe they are sharing notebooks and the person on the other end isn't getting any notification of the sharing. 

• Level 5*

According to Evernote, this is a better solution than what they had before......

If it's failing for you then you could open a support ticket/support chat and see if they can help.

Please add my voice too.

This "work chat" feature is very very annoying and unproductive.

I am seriously thinking of leaving Evernote. Besides the interface that is now very drab, the work chat feature if a pain.

I was able to hide the button (right click-it and hide it from the tool-bar in Mac) but the problem remains with sharing files. Very serious problem already described:

-Very lenghty process (about an hour before the notification is received by my clients)

-Totally confusing for new clients. It develops an unprofessional approach (the "invitation" focuses mainly on chatting - I look like I am proposing a single-dating invitation)

It worked well before. Why not keep things simple and remove this functionality !

• Level 5*

Can't Read Shared Note Without Evernote Account -- Unacceptable

Just updated to EN Mac 6.0.6, and AFAIK you can't share a Note except via Work Chat, and the recipient can't view it without an Evernote account.  

• This is totally unacceptable
  • I don't want to chat, I just want to share a Note
  • The recipient doesn't want (and will NOT create) an Evernote account -- they just want to read/view the Note as simply and quickly as possible.

Please respect the wishes of many, many of your users, and decouple sharing and Work Chat, and make shared Notes and Notebooks like they used to be -- visible in a web browser without Evernote, with an option to add to your (the recipient's) Evernote account.

Here's a screenshot of the recipient's email notification:

EN-Mac-606-Shared-Note-EMail.png

• This is totally unacceptable
  • I don't want to chat, I just want to share a Note
  • The recipient doesn't want (and will NOT create) an Evernote account -- they just want to read/view the Note as simply and quickly as possible.

Please respect the wishes of many, many of your users, and decouple sharing and Work Chat, and make shared Notes and Notebooks like they used to be -- visible in a web browser without Evernote, with an option to add to your (the recipient's) Evernote account.

Yes, absolutely this.

For the umpteenth time, I hit the close box on a banner in Evernote telling me I should try Work Chat. No. No I should not. I work alone. I like working alone. I use Evernote to keep information about all my creative projects in one place. Why do I have to continuously close this message on my tablets and my phone?

I have gone into the settings and turned off the 'work chat' section of the mobile version's home screen. Evernote keeps on telling me I should try Work Chat.

I've been a paying user for several years now. When people ask about my creative process, Evernote often gets mentioned. But this is starting to drive me nuts. If I've taken the deliberate step of hiding Work Chat, then please stop telling me I should try it. Don't keep on popping up banners about it when I'm trying to get to a note.

Hello War Eagle

Sorry that Work Chat is causing so much frustration for you.  These sound like bugs.  If you would share the platform and app version you're using I can work with that PM to diagnose the problem.

Here is a screen shot to help explain the interface a bit more:

https://www.evernote.com/l/AAyXf0xCA3ZGxZfr4adSLlV4FLpTW0IYQow

After clicking on the share icon in the note list or selecting the "Share Notebook" right click menu option from a notebook in the notebook section you'll be presented with a chat screen.  The intent is that you can share and tell your recipients about what you are sharing in one step.  We understand this is confusing to people at the moment and looking at ways to adjust the UI to make it less confusing.

As you noted, in the chat window we have already expanded the recipient list to show your most recent chats in the upper portion of the drop down and your contacts in the lower portion.  Your contacts come from your device and Gmail if you connect your Gmail account.  On Mac, the device contacts come from the Apple Contacts.app. On Windows we implemented a Outlook connector to access your Outlook contacts as well.

You should be able to select from either list.  Once selected you should be able to tap the Send button.  If it isn't enabled, its a bug and your platform and version number should help us identify where the problem is.  

As for why you may not have received any emails, please see my post in this discussion for how we manage email identities.  https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/80767-sharing-notebook-premium-to-free-problem-with-certain-destination-email-address/

Archived