Mobile Home Screen Change

• Level 5*

I haven’t seen other comments on this.  Maybe I missed them or I’m on an early test rollout, but the new mobile Home Screen is starting to appear.  It is similar to what @Federico Simionato showed on X.  I understand the desire to streamline in for mobile, but unless I’m missing it, some of the functionality that I used has been stripped away, such as the scratch pad and pinned note.  I’m hoping adjustments are coming.

IMG_1872.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sad 3
  • Level 5

😞😝😡🤬 I haven't seen it yet, but I'm fearful. As with the desktop UI, nothing was broken and this does not look like a fix. I note that it has both the existing multifunctional + New button at the bottom and the giant, redundant New Note, New Task, Scan, etc. buttons at the top, with only the most bare-bones means of accessing existing content in the middle. Looks like Windows 8. Please send something to feedback@evernote.com or wherever to give your opinion.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
2 minutes ago, ben353253 said:

It's very hard not to see some double standards here. And that's me putting it very delicately for you. 

It is not a double standard, but a difference in the timeframe.  Three (ish) years ago when it was first announced that Legacy was being replaced, there were many justified comments on why that was thought to be a bad decision.  Some were by me.  Now that the decision has been made and the deadline is imminent, complaining now that Legacy is ending is, well, too late.  That boat has sailed and it is time to accept it and move on.  If you are interested in using v10 and there are things you want to see improved on V10, push to help improve it. Offering comments on something currently under development, that we can hopefully influence, is justified and timely. 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, s2sailor said:

Three (ish) years ago when it was first announced that Legacy was being replaced, there were many justified comments on why that was thought to be a bad decision.  Some were by me.  Now that the decision has been made and the deadline is imminent, complaining now that Legacy is ending is, well, too late.  That boat has sailed and it is time to accept it and move on.

Hahaha. Are you me? Before I had scrolled down to your comment I was thinking.. man, that ship sailed three years ago! And there were a lot of improvements done to v10 to make it better since it's first release -- at least some of those based on constructive feedback I'd guess.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, ben353253 said:

No, why you don't you just accept this and move on? (Trust me, you're going to have to, because they don't listen and are not interested in what you have to say). No it is a clearly a double standard. Time has nothing to do with it. Moreover I only knew about this a matter of weeks ago, not three years ago. 

Understand this: they are not up to the task and are disinterested in creating a professional product. They've proved this again and again. 

.... maybe they listen?

Screenshot_20240308_173424.jpg

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
15 minutes ago, Boot17 said:

And there were a lot of improvements done to v10 to make it better since it's first release -- at least some of those based on constructive feedback I'd guess.

I agree, and now that much of the backend work is likely complete, they seem to be actively engaged in making some usability changes.  As @Dave-in-Decatur points out, some of the buttons are redundant and I wonder about the attachments button.  Personally, I would never use that, but maybe others will.  The scan button is a nice adder.  It appears they may have embedded the Scannable code.  You can select image or PDF format which I don't believe we could before.

I'm looking forward to the "next" iteration of this.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

No, the previous scanner created PNG only.

To get a pdf it was only possible to "print" the note with the embedded pictures to pdf (or export it) which, given the rudimentary printing features was not really useful.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, ben353253 said:

Gross, isn't it?

I agree with you on this one, but I would call it unnecessary.  Alexa personally greets me each morning if I ask about the weather and it irks me every single time.

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

No, the previous scanner created PNG only.

To get a pdf it was only possible to "print" the note with the embedded pictures to pdf (or export it) which, given the rudimentary printing features was not really useful.

Scannable did output PDF.  That was the only reason I used it.  It was a toggle between PDF and image.

• Like 1

I think there's a quite a few mock ups of the home screen going around. I've seen some different to this.

Personally I'm not a fan of the home screen widget stuff on mobile, huge fan of it on desktop.

What I'd like to see is a fast and easy way to create something and find something and have a scratchpad lurking around plus some indicators about whats happening "today".

I don't envy the task of making something both fast in performance and functional but spoons have made some seriously good phone apps so happy to trust them.

• Like 4
  • Level 5
5 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

Scannable did output PDF.  That was the only reason I used it.  It was a toggle between PDF and image.

Yes, I know. The build in scanner did not.

Actually I use since long the app ScannerPro by readdle. They allow to setup workflows that import a scan into a specific notebook, and with predefined tags. I have roughly 10 workflows, and it covers 90% of my scan&file needs. The PDFs are already OCRed by the scanner app, which I prefer over the EN OCR.

I use the scanner build into EN mainly for 1 page scans, just to grab an information quickly.

• Level 5*
4 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Actually I use since long the app ScannerPro by readdle.

I'm also a ScannerPro fan, though lately I mostly use the Scansnap desktop scanner and on rare occasions Scannable, but now it will be the Evernote scan button.  You now need an Evernote subscription to use Scannable.  I wouldn't be surprised to see that separate app sunset.

I’ve also got a new iPhone menu screen this evening. Looks like a different layout to OP’s above. Think I prefer the OP one as there’s no quick access to go straight to my note list.

One huge bug - when I click the new note button, there’s a huge lag before the editor on the new note becomes available and I can capture something.

*update: I deleted & reinstalled the app, and am able to create a note via the new screen without any issue now

IMG_1540.png

My iPhone hasn't updated yet. Are those with the new mobile UI saying there is no longer a shortcuts or a similar list to quickly access notes/notebooks? Or am I misinterpreting the comments?

20 minutes ago, thefryhole said:

My iPhone hasn't updated yet. Are those with the new mobile UI saying there is no longer a shortcuts or a similar list to quickly access notes/notebooks? Or am I misinterpreting the comments?

You can access all the existing functionality by sliding over the existing side menu (at least on the version which was pushed to me).

IMG_1542.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Don’t know whether they still have the „continue where you left the last time“ priority.

Maybe the new layout only shows for the „selected few“ who are testing right now, to generate rapid feedback ?

• Level 5
On 3/8/2024 at 3:50 PM, PinkElephant said:

Don’t know whether they still have the „continue where you left the last time“ priority.

Maybe the new layout only shows for the „selected few“ who are testing right now, to generate rapid feedback ?

In which case, please feedback vigorously! Either feedback@evernote.com, or maybe https://waz9zvkd1f2.typeform.com/newuifeedback.

• Level 5*

I received an update today and was hoping for a change to the Home Screen.  Not yet, unfortunately.  BTW this is how it looks on an iPad, a lot of underutilized space IMO.

IMG_0042.jpeg

• Level 5
20 minutes ago, Dave Green said:

The most recent changes move into the area of effecting workflow.  I hope they provide some configuration options to allow folks to tune to taste/need.

Absolutely! Fortunately, I haven't gotten it. I took a screenshot of my current home page, so if I do I can explain to feedback@evernote.com exactly how really useless and ugly this is in comparison to what we've had.

• Like 2
  • Level 5

Off topic, but for the benefit of people outside the U.S., or maybe for non-English speakers: even though I know what it's about and support the topic, the title of this thread always makes me want to think that it's about changing the screens in one's mobile home.

I have not gotten that new one but now iOS and iPadOS clients come up with “Recent Notes”. Alas, it is sorted by my default sort for other views (by name) and since it contains lots of notes (perhaps all) -- I only scrolled through the first couple 100.

This is now “Home” and there is now a “My Widgets” selection made visible when I select the hamburger icon in the lower left corner.  One of my chosen widgets is the notes one which shows either recent or suggested.  That recent view comes up empty until I select suggested when I get the list like the above.  Switching back to recent shows it with the same contents.

Ugh.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

This was raised on X and Federico replied. Some random users have been given these to see what the feedback is - Federico says it’s NOT been positive and they are looking to develop this way more before it would roll out to others. 

Personally I like the clearness but I would like it customisable - what WE need on our mobile Home Screen - so if folks wanted that they can, if they want widgets bash on and add em. I would leave the iPad one well alone, the desktop home works absolutely perfectly on that size of screen. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Yea, I don't like this new "Home" on mobile. I prefer the old one. I could get right to my scratchpad or calendar or tasks. There was nothing getting in my way of quickly creating a new note cause of that button at the bottom.

I'm using iOS and if Evernote want to make it faster and easier to add tasks/notes they already have that in widgets.(Btw...please make them interactive, like checking off tasks.) They could bring back 3D Touch action on the icon, although I may be one of the only ones who still like that.

• Like 3

This really confused me.  Suddenly my iPad Evernote "Home" screen changed to a useless nearly empty screen with a few links for new notes , new task etc.

Gone were all my recent notes etc.

Took some time for me to relise that the iPad had a new "My Widgets" menu option (below "Home").  This was my old "Home" screen.  Yay!

Even weirder is that the bottom of the "My Widgets" screen has a button labelled "Customise you Home".   Which seems to be for customizing your "My Widgets" screen, not the new useless "Home" screen, as it implies (which doesn't appear to be customizable).

Now I just need to know how to make "My Widgets" into my "Home" screen, so I can get back the Home screen functionality I previously had on the iPad?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3
Em 13/03/2024 at 12:55, robfuzz disse:

Yea, I don't like this new "Home" on mobile. I prefer the old one. I could get right to my scratchpad or calendar or tasks. There was nothing getting in my way of quickly creating a new note cause of that button at the bottom.

6 horas atrás, GregZone disse:

This really confused me.  Suddenly my iPad Evernote "Home" screen changed to a useless nearly empty screen with a few links for new notes , new task etc.

Gone were all my recent notes etc.

Took some time for me to relise that the iPad had a new "My Widgets" menu option (below "Home").  This was my old "Home" screen.  Yay!

Even weirder is that the bottom of the "My Widgets" screen has a button labelled "Customise you Home".   Which seems to be for customizing your "My Widgets" screen, not the new useless "Home" screen, as it implies (which doesn't appear to be customizable).

Now I just need to know how to make "My Widgets" into my "Home" screen, so I can get back the Home screen functionality I previously had on the iPad?

This new home screen appeared on my Android and I didn't like the experience. There are now two home screens and one of them is hidden. It doesn't make sense to have that.

• Like 3
  • Level 5*
9 hours ago, GregZone said:

That was well hidden.  Thanks, I thought the Home Screen was gone.

• Level 5
9 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Don’t see this, but maybe I am not on the latest version.

My AppStore tells 10.80.0 is the latest release for iOS. That’s what I am running.

It doesn't seem to be per version but per you-win-the-UI-lottery selection. If you get it, that would not be the day to buy an actual lottery ticket. Fortunately, it has still not shown up for me.

• Level 5*

I'm on 10.80.0.  Now that I've found you can return to the old Home Screen, I've just switched over and ignored the "new" one.

• Like 4

I use Evernote on Windows, Android and iPad. This latest update dramatically reduced the functionality for me by adding a useless "good morning" screen. I really want my pinned notes back on the HOME Screen or the ability to set what my home screen is. Right now it takes multiple clicks to get to what I want. And the way I use it, I am jumping back and forth between other apps and Evernote to make notes on those apps or to set a to do. This is a major downgrade in usability and I don't understand why they did this. In fact, notes still say "pin to home" but there are no pins on the new home screen. Please fix this.

• Like 4
  • Level 5
3 minutes ago, ddavoust said:

I use Evernote on Windows, Android and iPad. This latest update dramatically reduced the functionality for me by adding a useless "good morning" screen. I really want my pinned notes back on the HOME Screen or the ability to set what my home screen is. Right now it takes multiple clicks to get to what I want. And the way I use it, I am jumping back and forth between other apps and Evernote to make notes on those apps or to set a to do. This is a major downgrade in usability and I don't understand why they did this. In fact, notes still say "pin to home" but there are no pins on the new home screen. Please fix this.

Folks here agree with you, but we are not Evernote, just other users, unable to fix things. You can email feedback@evernote.com,

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, ddavoust said:

Right now it takes multiple clicks to get to what I want. And the way I use it, I am jumping back and forth between other apps and Evernote to make notes on those apps or to set a to do. This is a major downgrade in usability and I don't understand why they did this. In fact, notes still say "pin to home" but there are no pins on the new home screen. Please fix this.

We are only users here.  Please tell feedback@evernote.com

You can get back to the old home by pressing the three line (hamburger) menu - My Widgets

The setting seems to stick for a while.

I have sent a couple of notes to Feedback. In the last one I let them know I will be downgrading to Personal. They made such a big deal out of the home page and widgets. And "Home Dashboard     Full customization," was my only reason for upgrading to Professional. If I have to click into the menu on what is now, apparently, the Home page, I can get what I need done using a tag. 

• Like 2
On 3/17/2024 at 5:58 PM, s2sailor said:

I'm on 10.80.0.  Now that I've found you can return to the old Home Screen, I've just switched over and ignored the "new" one.

For me, on the same version on Android, it 'resets' to the new 'Home' page. Hopefully this becomes an option soon. 

• Level 5*
7 minutes ago, dbvirago said:

For me, on the same version on Android, it 'resets' to the new 'Home' page. Hopefully this becomes an option soon. 

I’m hoping they are just floating ideas at the moment and haven’t made any final decision.  I have noticed that the screen does change back to the “new” screen when the app resets, which is often.

• Like 1

Just got update 10.81.0. Couldn't see What's New, it pops up and goes away. But they have kept the hew Home page, so I have to dig for my widgets still

• Like 1

As I said before, with this new update it's as if there were two home screens. This way, it would be better to have an option in the settings where the user could choose which home screen they want: the traditional one with widgets or the new one. 

• Like 5
  • Level 5*

I updated to 10.82.0 recently and interestingly, the “new” homepage has been removed from my iPad.  It is still there on my the iPhone, which makes some sense due to the smaller screen on the phone.

• Like 1

@Federico Simionato has an update on X. I think this looks nice, especially if it'll make the app faster. I'm loving the notes, calendar, tasks etc at the bottom of the screen.

The Android app has gotten better but is still far too heavy and I like what they are doing to make things more lightweight.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*

This look almost identical to their first pass.  It is missing some useful widgets such as pinned notes, saved searches and scratchpad.  On the iPad there is a lot of empty real estate.  I hope they are still iterating.

• Like 4
4 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

This look almost identical to their first pass.  It is missing some useful widgets such as pinned notes, saved searches and scratchpad.  On the iPad there is a lot of empty real estate.  I hope they are still iterating.

It looks like they added that bar on the bottom to provide faster access to calendar and tasks. I'd like to see scratch pad implemented somewhere. 

I think Federico was saying on X that the speed issues with the mobile app are related to the home dashboard and widgets.

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, mackid1993 said:

It looks like they added that bar on the bottom to provide faster access to calendar and tasks.

I’m pretty sure that was on the version I originally posted about.  I’m surprised he mentioned speed issues.  I can’t say that I’ve noticed that personally.  I wish they would work on stability.  It seems to reboot often and many times search gets stuck, won’t respond, and I have to close and restart.

9 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

I’m pretty sure that was on the version I originally posted about.  I’m surprised he mentioned speed issues.  I can’t say that I’ve noticed that personally.  I wish they would work on stability.  It seems to reboot often and many times search gets stuck, won’t respond, and I have to close and restart.

This is what he said. I guess I read between the lines a little. Sorry if I mislead, but it sounds like where he is going.

image.png.26e19ca633e1bd91458b375d90e8bbfb.png

4 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

I’m sure whatever is decided I’ll find something to be grumpy about 😀, but I’ll make do and carry on.

I'll miss tasks right in my face when I open the app, what I won't miss is waiting 3 minutes for my tasks to sync.

• Level 5

Thanks, @mackid1993, for keeping us non-X-users up to date. I'm having trouble getting a sense of what the new proposal for the Home page actually has on it, since the image in the X post seems to be a compound of a couple of images. Is there a screenshot that just shows the first screen we'll see on Evernote?

I guess my comment, WRT the app being "heavy," is that my Samsung S22 Ultra is not a flip phone, and it's far from the biggest Android device available. I love having my chosen Home page image there when I go to Evernote, and I don't mind scrolling down to find pinned notes and other widgets. I understand that a lot of users, maybe most users, want to be able to grab Evernote and start a new note in a hurry, and that makes sense. But in fact #2, browsing/searching notes, is actually usually the first thing I want to do. I like visual stimulation from a phone app, and a screen of boring blobs, all variants of "make a new note," feels like a real step backward. (And reminds me of Windows 8.)

• Evernote Expert

I think that there several Home Screens in the wild at present. Response and use is being monitored. The intention is, I think, to give quick access to the most commonly used mobile app uses. One thing not addressed yet is the location of the Scratchpad.

I'm not one of the privileged few to have received the new layout. I'm told that one of its benefits is that the app loads more speedily - we'll see when the time comes.

12 minutes ago, agsteele said:

I think that there several Home Screens in the wild at present. Response and use is being monitored. The intention is, I think, to give quick access to the most commonly used mobile app uses. One thing not addressed yet is the location of the Scratchpad.

I'm not one of the privileged few to have received the new layout. I'm told that one of its benefits is that the app loads more speedily - we'll see when the time comes.

If it really loads faster, then feel free to put all the red circle I need to click on at the top and then let something meaningful appear :)

57 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Thanks, @mackid1993, for keeping us non-X-users up to date. I'm having trouble getting a sense of what the new proposal for the Home page actually has on it, since the image in the X post seems to be a compound of a couple of images. Is there a screenshot that just shows the first screen we'll see on Evernote?

I guess my comment, WRT the app being "heavy," is that my Samsung S22 Ultra is not a flip phone, and it's far from the biggest Android device available. I love having my chosen Home page image there when I go to Evernote, and I don't mind scrolling down to find pinned notes and other widgets. I understand that a lot of users, maybe most users, want to be able to grab Evernote and start a new note in a hurry, and that makes sense. But in fact #2, browsing/searching notes, is actually usually the first thing I want to do. I like visual stimulation from a phone app, and a screen of boring blobs, all variants of "make a new note," feels like a real step backward. (And reminds me of Windows 8.)

This is what he shared. Sorry about the size, these are Federico's images not mine and the forum doesn't let me adjust image size.:Image

I think the new "home" is very promising, especially if it sticks to the selection one used at last, i.e. "Notes" or "Tasks".

That would fit for different types of users, those who mainly create new notes, the persons who mainly look up recently edited notes, etc.

1 minute ago, ghon said:

I think the new "home" is very promising, especially if it sticks to the selection one used at last, i.e. "Notes" or "Tasks".

That would fit for different types of users, those who mainly create new notes, the persons who mainly look up recently edited notes, etc.

I like that, I just replied to his tweet with that suggestion.

I would really like Evernote to give us an option to start on a specific note each time. My recollection is that it has always been an option.

I use one particular note hundreds of times a day, every day, and I would like it to always open up to that note. I am not sure why that functionality was removed.

This would be instead of it forcing me to start at a list of notes every single time.

For me it is still possible to start from a particular note. Why do you think it has been or will be removed? I think it will just replace the "old" home screen.

• Level 5
2 hours ago, mackid1993 said:

This is what he shared. Sorry about the size, these are Federico's images not mine and the forum doesn't let me adjust image size.:Image

Thanks. I see that as 2 separate screenshots, one showing new note features, one showing note-browsing features. Looks like a row of tabs on the bottom from which you can pick which of these and other views to see, and then hopefully that view will appear the next time you come back. But still no widgets: no pinned notes, shortcuts, etc. That's a really big loss, since "browsing notes" means just scrolling through everything, instead of getting to what you want.
@mackid1993, if you're feeding back to @Federico Simionato, I'd love it if you'd feed back to him that the widgets on desktop and Web client home pages are useful on mobile devices as well, and should at least have their own tab, if not any easier access.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Thanks. I see that as 2 separate screenshots, one showing new note features, one showing note-browsing features. Looks like a row of tabs on the bottom from which you can pick which of these and other views to see, and then hopefully that view will appear the next time you come back. But still no widgets: no pinned notes, shortcuts, etc. That's a really big loss, since "browsing notes" means just scrolling through everything, instead of getting to what you want.
@mackid1993, if you're feeding back to @Federico Simionato, I'd love it if you'd feed back to him that the widgets on desktop and Web client home pages are useful on mobile devices as well, and should at least have their own tab, if not any easier access.

I replied to his tweet and mentioned the lack of widgets, and also shared this thread.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I didn't find this thread before making a post about it myself (see below).   However I want to add my voice here in the hope that Evernote developers or support are reading it.  I have been a paid Evernote user since 2009 and I think this is a terrible change because: 

1. It wastes so much screen space with the silly "Good morning" business.  Patronising and useless. 
  2. On a phone screen there is no direct access to existing content in my Evernote account.  When I open Evernote, 9 times out of 10, that is what I want to do, usually via Shortcuts or Recent Notes on the previous Home screen.   I notice that on my tablet there is  sidebar - why not on my phone where most of the screen space is wasted? 
  3. Too many clicks to get to an exisiting note because of this design.
  4. It takes a lot of space for features I almost never use (Audio or Sketch notes) or that can be easily accessed from inside a generic note.  Clearly thie Home Page has to customisable for the individual user's favourite features.

So Evernote, PLEASE REVERSE THIS CHANGE!  

• Like 3

I liked the new home page because it is more practical and simple. However, it doesn't make sense to include the old home page (with widgets) in the menu. I think it's better to have an option in the settings where the user can choose which page they want to start with: the old or the new. I have already sent a message to feedback@evernote.com with this suggestion.

• Like 3
  • Level 5*
52 minutes ago, Cristiano478 said:

However, it doesn't make sense to include the old home page (with widgets) in the menu.

I'm not sure about that.  I like letting a user select which page they want presented but I also want an option to access the widgets if the basic homepage is the default.  I see can the basic homepage is a nice default for my phone but if I need to access the scratchpad or one of the other widgets, I want to be able to do that.

• Level 5
7 hours ago, Cristiano478 said:

I liked the new home page because it is more practical and simple. However, it doesn't make sense to include the old home page (with widgets) in the menu. I think it's better to have an option in the settings where the user can choose which page they want to start with: the old or the new. I have already sent a message to feedback@evernote.com with this suggestion.

Simple is not the same as practical, if the main thing you want to do (access existing notes) is not one of the simple options, as @jowett2001 said. An option to choose Home page style would be my preference also, but I wonder if they'll go that far. Generally it's "out with the old, in with the new" with Evernote.

Another problem with this new home page is that (on my Android device), when you get a notification that a task is due, clicking on it brings you to this home page, not the task that you have to deal with.   So then you have to remember what the task was and search for it.  

This is definitely a bug. 

• Like 2

The edit Home Screen button in iOS lets me set my background and widgets for Home. But Home is the screen shown at the ugly default screen shown at the top of this thread and not the screen I’ve set up with background and widgets. To get to that screen I have to click on the hamburger menu at bottom and choose Widgets. On the desktop, Home is what I’d expect, the one for which I set a background and widgets. This is messed up. 

Edited by Tony Robinson
missing word
  • Like 1

I got the mobile UI on my work account, it was a little broken. On the home screen the top nav elements overlapped and Android status bar. It was rolled back suddenly I assume because of that bug. It was extremely fast. There was also an option when you tapped your profile picture to open a side menu and that had an option to look at your widgets. @Dave-in-Decatur I think you'll be happy to hear that.

Now it would be nice if they let you customize the bottom nav bar.

• Like 1

It's a completely useless change which has no value add or user friendliness whatsoever. You could configure the same buttons that you have now on the homescreen anyway, by selecting the desired buttons from the settings. It's completely messed up, not to mention that now your User icon overlaps with the phone clock.

29 minutes ago, Akos_M said:

It's a completely useless change which has no value add or user friendliness whatsoever. You could configure the same buttons that you have now on the homescreen anyway, by selecting the desired buttons from the settings. It's completely messed up, not to mention that now your User icon overlaps with the phone clock.

That's clearly a bug. It rolled back for me, I'm wondering that that's why they rolled it back so suddenly. I have it back, overlapping bug included.

Does BS actually realize that a lot of us actually DEPEND on being able to access the data we have in EN?!?!  This isn't some F'ing game we're all playing here.  Stop rolling out un-authorized, un-tested, un-explaind changes to all of us: We're not paying to be your beta testers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
On 3/8/2024 at 11:50 AM, dtwhite said:

You can access all the existing functionality by sliding over the existing side menu (at least on the version which was pushed to me).

IMG_1542.jpeg

That is the most helpful post so far. It is faster than a bunch of clicks to get to my widgets. Thanks 

• Level 5
6 hours ago, enfan-01 said:

Does BS actually realize that a lot of us actually DEPEND on being able to access the data we have in EN?!?!  This isn't some F'ing game we're all playing here.  Stop rolling out un-authorized, un-tested, un-explaind changes to all of us: We're not paying to be your beta testers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I actually agree with this pretty completely. I don't know if this is the BenSpoo corporate culture, if they take this lab-rat approach to the users of all their apps, or it's something they're trying out with Evernote. Want to change the UI of the desktop/Web and then mobile apps? Try this: announce a beta group and experiment on them! But then you want to know how a group of non-self-selected-volunteers would react? Too bad--you can't do that. After the beta test, then announce the change so people can look at it, and then make it, and if it draws a lot of fire tweak it or roll it back. Takes too long? No, it doesn't. It takes the amount of time necessary to do something right. It may take the sum total amount of time for BenSpoo equivalent to all the time taken by unsuspecting users trying to figure out what the 🤬 is going on under the current system. Oh, we could have found out about it on X or the blog? I waste too much time in these forums doing meta-Evernote stuff, and have too much concern for my mental health to ever go on X.

And yes, I will be sending this to feedback@evernote.com.

• Like 8

I dropped Twitter when it became X so can't give feedback there. I did give it to the Feedback email address. Also let them know I was dropping Professional. At the old company's urging, I spent a lot of time and effort designing my home page and paid for Pro to get unlimited customization. The things I needed to see where front and center when I started the app. Now everything is at least one or two clicks away and nothing is in the same place. If this becomes their Home, I'll go back to one of the options I used when v10 was new and the Android app was completely broken. I don't mind clicking around if I'm on my laptop, but when I'm out on mobile I need what I need when I need it. This no longer works for me. And I won't support two systems indefinitely. That doesn't work either. 

• Like 4

I’ve been updated to the new home / splash screen - the one with a welcome and no direct way to view access notes. This is a really poor UX change. 

I know other people use Evernote for functions other than notes but notes are primary use, it now takes me several more unnecessary interactions to access them. 

If I’m editing a note, then navigate away to another app for a short period (a couple of minutes) I’m pushed back to the splash screen rather than the note I was previously editing. I can’t see how or why either of these changes benefit users. 

Have sent my feedback in. 

• Like 5

I received today the option to give feedback regarding the new welcome screen, when I opened the app. Did anyone else receive it also?

Another new update to 10.84.1. Still have no idea what changed as it doesn't tell us anymore, but I still don't have My Home page instead of the useless array of buttons they have given us. In the process of deciding what to use for my Mobile notes. 

• Level 5*

Unless they changed it recently, your old homepage is still there, but now, unfortunately, a few clicks back.

Hamburger menu icon -> My Widgets

19 hours ago, s2sailor said:

Unless they changed it recently, your old homepage is still there, but now, unfortunately, a few clicks back.

Hamburger menu icon -> My Widgets

Unfortunately, indeed. Where else is a homepage a few clicks away? Why is the desktop homepage different than, and superior to, the mobile? And why does the mobile edit home button (with a house icon) affect not the home page but the widgets page. Widgets should be home. 

And is anyone from Evernote monitoring this forum? Can we get some response from Evernote?

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
3 minutes ago, Tony Robinson said:

And is anyone from Evernote monitoring this forum? Can we get some response from Evernote?

Unknown but unlikely.  Feedback@evernote.com is your best chance.

The only thing I would use with any regularity on the new homepage is the “new note” button. The other widgets are distant edge cases for me, or completely useless. (I do not use Evernote for my calendar or for managing tasks.)

There are other major use cases for Evernote besides “create something new.” The previous home screen was much more useful for me with its scratch pad, pinned notes, recent notes, and shortcuts link. I’m glad I can still get to it through the hamburger menu. But I dislike having to go through that menu every time I boot up the app.

Sending my feedback to EN now.

• Like 4

One of the BASIC provisions of a lot of software (if not most), is the ability to create your very own, personalized, expedient, helpful, and aesthetic, HOMESCREEN! The key words being BASIC and HOMESCREEN! Say those two words together, and repeat them a few times- "BASIC HOMESCREEN, BASIC HOMESCREEN, BASIC HOMESCREEN". See how well those two words go together?  

Many, years ago, someone thought of how helpful it would be to provide a way for the user to personalize their system, by customizing the homescreen. Throughout the years, that idea has been proven to work, to be beneficial, and also to be EXPECTED (or maybe a better way to say it would be "never suspected it to be obsolete".

Now, someone has thought "oh, you know that old idea of allowing a user to customize their homescreen, and how people have loved that, and used it year after year? Well, hold on tight, I have a new idea! Let's get rid of it! Let's put what we think is best on the homescreen! People just don't know what they are missing!"

I know that I  may sound a little animated, but to be very clear, that's because I AM animated.

My final words are "Give it back", and "PLEASE?"

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
7 minutes ago, Mr Midge said:

My final words are "Give it back", and "PLEASE?"

Mostly only others users here.  Send comments to feedback@evernote.com

On 4/11/2024 at 9:11 PM, Twitchly said:

I do not use Evernote for my calendar or for managing task

I don't either & have always wondered why we're not able to remove those unused buttons (app homescreen & desktop sidebar).  And yes, I've asked EN.

• Level 5*

A customizable sidebar and menu would be useful, but currently I just ignore what I don’t use, like I do in all other apps.

• Like 1

Yeah, that's part of the problem.  We've ignored items like this & they continue to be un-fixed.  Ever notice that we're able to show/hide other things in the sidebar that don't apply to us all by ourselves?  They just work.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, enfan-01 said:

Yeah, that's part of the problem.  We've ignored items like this & they continue to be un-fixed. 

There is no problem, and that is my point.  I don't have any app that lets me customize it perfectly.  There is nothing to fix since it is working as designed.  You are welcome to request a change to this behavior, but it isn't a bug.

• Like 1

The new home screen In IOS is useless. I understand that not all users have the same needs, but my goodness. I now have to use the hamburger icon to get to my "Widgets" app to be able to use what I consider to be the home screen. Everything takes longer to do now and I find myself frustrated everytime i try to use evernote on IOS. And what do they think "Shortcuts" are for if you have to go menu diving to get to the shortcuts? This is crazy. 

I loved the previous home screen that was customizable. I had scratchpad, shortcuts, recent notes, and "new note" all immediately available. Now our homescreen has a bunch of unsorted, uncategorized notes in a list (not helpful), and then the bottom of the screen has buttons for a "home screen" that isn't really a home screen, a button for notes and notebooks (makes sense), and then buttons for tasks and calendars that I don't use.

Please go back or forward, but don't stay here. Let us customize our home screens like in the previous iteration. I'm really struggling. I was convinced i had a bug because certainly nobody could have designed this home screen on purpose. I submitted a service ticket because it had to be a glitch. Turns out it's intentional. 

Am I missing something? Tell me hope is on the way.

• Like 2
  • Level 5

You can’t send emails at support.

You need to issue a ticket. You know you have a ticket when you got a confirmation with a ticket number.

And yes, support experience currently is slow at best. In most cases I experienced it to be useless, at least up to my area of experience with my tickets.

On the other hand the EN team is really fast these days with fixes 😀. But it comes with a flood of releases 🙁. And sometimes it seems for each 🐞 squeezed there are 2 new 🐞 🐞 introduced 😡 .

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

You can’t send emails at support.

You need to issue a ticket. You know you have a ticket when you got a confirmation with a ticket number.

And yes, support experience currently is slow at best. In most cases I experienced it to be useless, at least up to my area of experience with my tickets.

On the other hand the EN team is really fast these days with fixes 😀. But it comes with a flood of releases 🙁. And sometimes it seems for each 🐞 squeezed there are 2 new 🐞 🐞 introduced 😡 .

Aggree. They seem to be focused on just rolling out new features. This looks good on the front-end but generates plenty of bugs on the back-end.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

Evernote doesn't send confirmations with ticket numbers anymore. Only thing you get is a standard mail (without any ticket number). To find a ticket number, you have to login to help and go to "my tickets" to find it.