This version of the app is outdated. You need to install the latest version to keep using Evernote. Update now

• Evernote Expert

And if the software just stopped working? For months we've been warning that the writing is on the wall for the older apps.

In this case, the owners are damned if they tell you and damned if they don't.

Instead of being annoyed, make your plan for your way forward. You can get rid of the warning by updating or choosing a different service.

• Like 2

choosing to update or choosing a difference service is easier said than done. I've been using this system for 10 years, thus I've become accustomed to how I work with Evernote.

I don't know what to do... 

• Like 3

Is there a topic in here somewhere that compares the features of Legacy v6 to this latest v10. 

I'm scared to upgrade.. I said previously in a different post that I tested the latest version and I was shocked. 

I'm now reading on random posts which are fairly out of date to be fair that you can't import documents (import folders), no local data exists.. god knows.. hence why I'm asking if there is a post in here that compares side by side what is missing and what is present.

I can't even believe you can't open a document by right clicking and selecting open with.. which means, you have to save a document to desktop , makes change and re-import (if this is possible) and then you can't change the date stamp if your able to reimport.. in v6 you can right click open with makes changes save to original place and the file is updated within Evernote.. obviously making alterations to the date-stamp if you want things organised.

I've got a feeling I'm going to blow a fuse..

I need to know exactly what features have been stripped out and what the limitations are.. what about backing up ENEX files now ? 

All I use Evernote for is scanning documents, moving them to an import folder on my desktop, filing them in their respective folders.. Sometimes I go to view a file and it changes the date/time stamp so I manually change it to what it was. If this has been stripped out we'll have documents / files/ notes all over the place sorted by updated .. sometimes it makes sense that the updated time stamp is set to the same as when it was created.. It's like when I scan a document for example, the date of the document may be different from the time it is imported into EN, thus it's important to be able to change these fields..

I also perform periodic backups using the method I shared with you guys and I don't think that will work on v10..

Please point me in the right direction of a comparison of features or lack of features thereof.

Thank you

• Like 1
  • Level 5

You can simply install v10 side by side, and find out.

One simple method is by using the new version as the web client. It is close to feature complete, except some specifics of the installed client. Both sync to the same database. You open your account, find your notes, dit them and can look it up later in legacy, or vice versa.

The only thing may be that you get an unknown data message in legacy when trying new features in v10, like Tasks. Legacy can’t read this information.

• Like 1

Thanks PinkElephant - I don't really use tasks or calendar really to be fair. I only use evernote for note taking, storing images, snippets, scanned documents etc.. My use case in simple and yet the features I use I noticed last time they were missing. Like now I just looked up a random note via my phone it modified the update date and I can't change it.. only in legacy.

what about the features I mentioned above like import folders , creating backups in v10 ?

Also how would one run side by side on local PC as opposed to using the web? 

Look I don't mind making changes, and sacrifices but they have to be positive and not cause me to have serious headaches moving forward and not to waste valuable time.

Not being able to adjust the date/time stamp is doing my head in already and not being able to open with > App is another major blow.. If one can't import files via an import folder then what is the point of it all. Then I've backups to worry about.. and then there is the unknown of what next will I encounter that I use in v6 legacy that no longer exists.. I'm really worried.

How does one run this side by side on local PC ? I can''t do much on the web.. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, KoZz said:

Like changing the creation date/time stamp.. inability to right click and open with.

Changing the Creation Date is done in the Note Info box on V.10 (keyboard Shortcut for Window Control+Shift+I) or select from the Hamburger menu on the top right of the Screen.

• Level 5*
49 minutes ago, KoZz said:

Look I don't mind making changes, and sacrifices but they have to be positive and not cause me to have serious headaches moving forward and not to waste valuable time.

I appreciate you're worried about the different behaviours of v10 - I held off downoading the new version for something like a full year when it was first launched,  and I still have the Legacy app working on a 6 year-old laptop as a 'backup';  but I genuinely hadn't used that version for ages until yesterday - when I found the big red warning.  My day-to-day resource is v10.62.3

It is a bit of a culture shock to change initially,  but with that new warning it is clear that Evernote is going to take some action in the next few months that will seriously impact Legacy users.  They already have to take some fairly extreme measures to keep the app available - v10 uses a different note structure forinstance - and I guess they're getting frustrated at the cost or the time involved in -effectively- coding changes twice - once for v10 and again for compatibility.

Installing v10 should be  fairly easy,  but may temporarily affect your existing installation,  so the safest process would be to find your current Databases folder (Tools > Options > General) and copy that to your desktop.  Search your system for your installation files too - 6.25.1.exe maybe saved somewhere.  If it is not,  then a new copy can be found on the internet.

Then just download and install v10.  It will take a while to install itself in a new location so give it some time to itself.  Try to use that version for your day-to-day operations.  When you find something that doesn't work,  please post your query here.  We can either point you to the new location of some features or suggest work-arounds for anything that is still missing.

(Import Folders do still exist - now its under Tools > Settings)

There's no side-by-side comparison of features because the details keep changing - we've had three updates in the last month forinstance.  But any comparison would be pointless anyway - Legacy is going away completely at some point 'soon' - how many months it has left,  we simply don't know.

You won't lose any notes whatever happens - your database is saved on the server;  but your only access would then be through v10.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, KoZz said:

choosing to update or choosing a difference service is easier said than done. I've been using this system for 10 years, thus I've become accustomed to how I work with Evernote.

I have been using Evernote for 12 years now and have to admit that I did not like V10 when it was introduced as it did not SEEM to do the same as Legacy, and certainly, a lot of features were lacking.  My issue was that much stuff had moved to other places on the screen, pushing me out of my comfort zone.  Lots of items missing have reappeared and now work again in V10.  Yes, it is a learning process, just the same as any other software that updates. I realise you don't need Tasks or Calendar, but I find them very useful as my Home Screen shows me everything I need for the day ahead without having to consult other applications.  After about four weeks of using v10, I realised that Legacy was superfluous for my needs as V10 was better for my use case.  I am not implying that this will be the case for every user.  There are lots of short videos on the Evernote. Youtube Chanel that explains the workings of V10.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, gazumped said:

I appreciate you're worried about the different behaviours of v10 - I held off downoading the new version for something like a full year when it was first launched,  and I still have the Legacy app working on a 6 year-old laptop as a 'backup';  but I genuinely hadn't used that version for ages until yesterday - when I found the big red warning.  My day-to-day resource is v10.62.3

It is a bit of a culture shock to change initially,  but with that new warning it is clear that Evernote is going to take some action in the next few months that will seriously impact Legacy users.  They already have to take some fairly extreme measures to keep the app available - v10 uses a different note structure forinstance - and I guess they're getting frustrated at the cost or the time involved in -effectively- coding changes twice - once for v10 and again for compatibility.

Installing v10 should be  fairly easy,  but may temporarily affect your existing installation,  so the safest process would be to find your current Databases folder (Tools > Options > General) and copy that to your desktop.  Search your system for your installation files too - 6.25.1.exe maybe saved somewhere.  If it is not,  then a new copy can be found on the internet.

Then just download and install v10.  It will take a while to install itself in a new location so give it some time to itself.  Try to use that version for your day-to-day operations.  When you find something that doesn't work,  please post your query here.  We can either point you to the new location of some features or suggest work-arounds for anything that is still missing.

(Import Folders do still exist - now its under Tools > Settings)

There's no side-by-side comparison of features because the details keep changing - we've had three updates in the last month forinstance.  But any comparison would be pointless anyway - Legacy is going away completely at some point 'soon' - how many months it has left,  we simply don't know.

You won't lose any notes whatever happens - your database is saved on the server;  but your only access would then be through v10.

OK I'm going to install v10 manually and attempt a side by side scenario and see what happens. I will also do what you suggested and will post issues I encounter into this post.. 

Appreciate all the feedback from you all.

• Like 4

Ok I've downloaded evernote-latest.exe from the website.

My folder structure on C: is as follows:

image.png.8e35bcb388c05be1161f45671cc42416.png

Evernote Legacy contains files exe's etc which I presume pertains to v6.. the properties of evernote.exe shows:

image.png.3d2e85f7da61fd7163db57d205f71360.png

So the legacy folder is OK the Evernote folder as per snippet above in the Evernote folder in Program Files (x86) is empty. Do you think v10 will install into that.. I can then access Legacy by simply making a shortcut to the legacy app executable?

Also before I perform an installation. Shall I create a new database location . My database is on an SSD also called Evernote .. Can I create say a new folder on the same SSD but call it maybe Evernotev10 ??

Let me know and I'll commencing testing 

Regards
K 

Ok guys I'm on 

10.62.5-win-ddl-public (20230928204806)
Editor: v176.13.0
Service: v1.74.5
© 2019 - 2023 Evernote Corporation. All rights reserved

I noticed it removed Legacy during the installation.. But I created a copy of the folder just by means of copy & paste in c:\program files(x86).... I went into that folder double click on the copy of Legacy and it opened.. so now I have a side by side arrangement - many thanks.

However, I need to pick your brains.. the main exe for the v10 is now stored in C:\Users\AppData\Local\Programs\Evernote\Evernote.exe

Upon checking the Database in v10 in Tools > Settings it points to: %appdata%\Roaming\Evernote... 

So is this normal. Ideally I'd like to move the database off the C: drive.. However, I have the old Database for Legacy on my F: (SSD) drive which is called also Called Evernote at root level.. Is there a way I can move it to the same disk or should I move elsewhere,  it's just that my C drive doesn't have a vast amount of free space to be honest.. I'm sure it will not allow me to modify the name of the folder upon a move, it's specify a destination and move type situation.

Anyway so far so good and I'm not being funny, but it's a lot faster than it was before this version, a lot faster.. These AI tools seem interesting too!!!

Like I said, I will go on what gazumped suggested and I will post any issues I may identify in here hopefully there are solutions and maybe it may help you guys too who knows.. but I will do what gazumped suggested and use v10 as my daily driver for now to become accustomed unless I do need to open legacy to perform any specific tasks.. 

Please do let me know about the database move and if it'll conflict with my other database if I move to the same drive - I'm sure it will.. I've also noticed that the database folder is smaller in appdata in v10 as opposed to v6.. the v6 evernote folder is 13.5gb where the newly created database folder is only 9gb.. maybe it needs time to populate?

• Like 1
4 hours ago, bmcl26 said:

Changing the Creation Date is done in the Note Info box on V.10 (keyboard Shortcut for Window Control+Shift+I) or select from the Hamburger menu on the top right of the Screen.

Yeah you are right you can update the created but not the update :( having the ability to update the updated stamps helps keep things fairly organised .. well it did for me in legacy

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, hmackiernan said:

If they would *just* give us back on-demand, manual sync button, I would have switched to v10 ages ago. That's the only reason I'm clinging on to Legacy for dear life.

Why?  V10 implemented real time editing which essentially is instantaneous syncing.  They have been working through some problems but it removes the need for a sync button.

• Like 2

My entire life is based around being able to sort tags. I don't understand why that feature was taken away. I can't upgrade without a complete overhaul to my modus operandi. That is not something I have time for. And now I'm being told that the legacy version is going away. Why? Why? WHY??

• Like 3
  • Level 5*
Just now, kkarney said:

My entire life is based around being able to sort tags.

What process do you use that requires multiple tags to be sorted?  There must surely be a search-based option?

Just now, kkarney said:

And now I'm being told that the legacy version is going away. Why? Why? WHY??

It's out of date,  unsupported,  a security risk and it's preventing Evernote from developing their new product correctly.  And their choice whether they continue to provide the service.   

• Like 1

I will NEVER move to the new version until custom fonts are brought back. I do not care if things look the same across platforms. I only care about Mac, Windows, & Linux; the last of which this company doesn't even do. If the old app is cut off I will simply take myself and all my employees elsewhere.

Earlier someone suggested that you can use the Legacy and new versions side by side. 

You can, but be aware that if you edit a note in the new app all the image indentation information will be stripped out of the note.  When you edit again with the legacy app all your images in that note will be moved to the left edge. 

58 minutes ago, KoZz said:

Is there a way I can move it to the same disk or should I move elsewhere,  it's just that my C drive doesn't have a vast amount of free space to be honest..

Yes, V10 allows to move local databases to other disks like Legacy did... (see in first page of the settings dialog)
These settings (both versions) and  your local databases are retained if you update EN10 later and reinstall Legacy (because it will be uninstalled with every EN10 installation 😞).

• Level 5*
32 minutes ago, patanne said:

I will NEVER move to the new version

Legacy will stop working at some stage - better to get a jump on the change rather than be forced to  use an unfamiliar app to see your own notes...

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Legacy will stop working at some stage - better to get a jump on the change rather than be forced to  use an unfamiliar app to see your own notes...

never! they have taken the features i care about. if they force me, they will force me elsewhere, and certainly not where they want me to go. i have watched this organization make some horrible decisions. my opinion of them is less than zero. either they are not a group i want to work with any longer or the use cases for my company are better suited to another product. if they break a product that is presently working, that i am paying for, i know which answer it was.

• Like 3

We have used Evernote for over 10 years. We have multiple accounts and did try the newest version. We had to switch back to legacy because of the numerous syncing issues we had. Notes wouldn't sync, it would constantly delete uploaded attachments, took for ever to update to the other users. Basically just a complete joke that we were spending countless hours trying to fix. We considered a change then but found out we could use the legacy version. I guess we will  be forced to find new software that will meet our needs. Makes me sick to my stomach thinking about moving because we rely on it so much.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, patanne said:

If the old app is cut off I will simply take myself and all my employees elsewhere.

It is when not if.  The decision on custom fonts was made in the design of V10.  They decided to go for uniformity across the platforms rather than allow for custom fonts.  If this is a line in the sand for you, then the time to move to a different app is now.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*

If you just installed V10, two things: there is a one-time back-end note conversion process for each old note that takes a little time.  Also, depending on the size of your database, it can take some time to download it.

Yep .. crashed.. froze.. I'm having to kill v10 using task manager .. very odd .. anyone else having this problem ? well i can't work like this.. so this is the first major issue so far in v10.. maybe it's still updating or something god knows...

2 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

If you just installed V10, two things: there is a one-time back-end note conversion process for each old note that takes a little time.  Also, depending on the size of your database, it can take some time to download it.

would that cause freezes ??? 

I'll leave it open until tomorrow.. it's gone up to 11.1GB from 9GB database size.. we know the DB size is 13.5gb from the folder on my F: SSD drive where legacy resides.. shouldn't cause pdf's to crash though.. and what's suspicious is the fact that Evernote is displaying the PDF's correctly in it's own propriety way only when I right click and select open, or if I quickly double click on it.. i'll give it the benefit of doubt :) i'll allow it to synch fully and we can test this again....

"there is a one-time back-end note conversion process"

I remember someone else talking about this back-end conversation. I think it was gazumped ages ago mentioned this.. I presume this could take days then if notes are being converted and how will this work if you have to access notes again in Legacy ? Any negative affects ?

I guess this is the incentive I need to move to a different system. I was able to email reminders to Evernote then check them off in the reminder list when complete. It's much more cumbersome to do that in the new version. I looked into tasks, but you can't email a task into Evernote.

• Level 5*

Is it truly crashing or are you just getting the spinning icon?  Unfortunately, and this has been discussed a lot in the forums, the note conversion is not done all at once in the background.  It is only triggered as you access each old note, so leaving it open doesn't help this conversion process.  Try to open one PDF and wait to see if it does eventually load.  This is my guess as to what is happening, but maybe there is something else going on.

3 minutes ago, Curt Wohleber said:

I guess this is the incentive I need to move to a different system. I was able to email reminders to Evernote then check them off in the reminder list when complete. It's much more cumbersome to do that in the new version. I looked into tasks, but you can't email a task into Evernote.

By "this" -- do you mean watching someone live update their experience drinking from a firehose? Because nothing in this thread has anything to do with reminders.

Is it truly crashing or are you just getting the spinning icon?  Unfortunately, and this has been discussed a lot in the forums, the note conversion is not done all at once in the background.  It is only triggered as you access each old note, so leaving it open doesn't help this conversion process.  Try to open one PDF and wait to see if it does eventually load.  This is my guess as to what is happening, but maybe there is something else going on.

If I right click a PDF the screen goes light , like faded and the spinning blue icon. Expectations are for it to be loaded instantly with whatever app is associated with PDF's in my case PDF X-change (default) .. It sits there spinning.. not sure how a back-end note conversation would limit or affect PDF's .. god knows.. I can leave it but i've got a feeling it'll sit there spinning all day

What's buggin me though is this.. The built in PDF viewer in Evernote is working rapidly and is displaying PDF's in v10 in a very nice presented way to be fair. I'm wondering if the built in PDF viewer whatever it is they use to view PDF's has hooked into the PDF using it's own software / API and when you trigger to open the file by means of a right click it's causing some kind of conflict.. Anyway for the benefit of doubt.. I'm going to leave this sucker running until tomorrow.. not opening anything else or doing anything and will leave it to do it's back-end note conversation thing.. I'll then try again.. if it fails.. I will change the default PDF viewer in windows.. I've got to do this anyway now that the ability to open with no longer exists.. if I'm going to be opening PDF's in Evernote v10, i'm going to want to open with Adobe Acrobat for editing purposes..

Man, I hope this works fingers X and thanks for everyones support

UPDATE: changed default PDF app to Adobe .. Same thing.. I'm going to leave the spinning icon now.. I'll set a timer for an hour.. if it doesn't open in an hour I'm killing it via task man will open it again and leave it be.. bit of a headache to be fair.. we haven't even started!!!

LOL

The note conversion only works when you open a legacy note in V10 for the first time. Its not all done in the back end. If you then open the same note again in Legacy the note is converted back. It happens on a note by note basis when you open them on the V10 app.

This sometimes times time with really big notes. Most of the time for me a couple of seconds.

PDFs should display fine in the note. Single page or multi page and you can annotate your PDFs as well. Works pretty quickly here on a beaten up old Dell.

I imagine the delay you're having is the initial sync of all the data and the local indexing of notes. This can sometimes take a while.

• Like 2

KoZz, you mentioned earlier that you didn't have a lot of space left on your c drive.  Did you take advantage of the option in version 10 to relocate your version 10 database to a different drive?  If Evernote is trying to download your data to a drive without much space, I could imagine that it will take a lot longer to do, and that you would be more likely to have issues while Evernote was doing it.  (Settings/Application - and scroll down -- / Evernote Local Data - and use the three dots to change the storage location.) 

I suggest you go into the version 10 setting menu and use the option there  to relocate your version 10 data.  That may help things along.

Also, it might help some of those who are more expert here than I am to know: did you download version 10 from the evernote web site or from the windows store?  (the evernote web site is apparently a better choice.)  And, under Help/Evernote, what is the exact version number that you have installed?

Good luck.

Vinnie

3 hours ago, KoZz said:

So is this normal. Ideally I'd like to move the database off the 😄 drive..

You can choose to move your V10 data to a different drive.  I created a Folder on G:    G:\Appdata   To move the data to a folder on a different drive press the Gearwheel on the top left-hand corner to take you to settings . The first option in Settings is Preferences (See Below)

Make selections as you wish.  The bottom line will show where your data is currently stored to change this click on the circle and then select the d\folder that you wish to move it to

image.png.dc5e3632b67d96840b69abacb2e398e6.png

• Like 1
1 minute ago, bmcl26 said:

You can choose to move your V10 data to a different drive.  I created a Folder on G:    G:\Appdata   To move the data to a folder on a different drive press the Gearwheel on the top left-hand corner to take you to settings . The first option in Settings is Preferences (See Below)

Make selections as you wish.  The bottom line will show where your data is currently stored to change this click on the circle and then select the d\folder that you wish to move it to

image.png.dc5e3632b67d96840b69abacb2e398e6.png

What ever is going on with Evernote at the moment I don't think I should do anything until this has settled down.. It's really utilizing some serious CPU usage carrying on like it's CineBench.. crazy

8 minutes ago, KoZz said:

Not sure what to do.. I@m going to leave it but Jesus it's hammering away at my i9!!!

This will settle down over time it takes quite a time for it to download your database.

Here is mine

image.png.ab034f471dc66d2c5834cf53e0d3cf49.png

1 hour ago, KoZz said:

If I right click a PDF the screen goes light , like faded and the spinning blue icon. Expectations are for it to be loaded instantly with whatever app is associated with PDF's in my case PDF X-change (default) .. It sits there spinning.. not sure how a back-end note conversation would limit or affect PDF's .. god knows.. I can leave it but i've got a feeling it'll sit there spinning all day

Same with JPGS.. Same behaviour !

• Level 5

No thrill - the percentage is 100% = a single core is occupied. Your i9 should have plenty of reserves.

The v10 client is running in a framework. Think of it as a Chrome(ium) browser running with the app as front end. Chrome is a resources hog.

After the database is organized, things calm down. On my Mac (i7) the desktop client needs below 10% on idle, 20-30% when busy and never goes beyond 60% for a few seconds.

1 minute ago, PinkElephant said:

No thrill - the percentage is 100% = a single core is occupied. Your i9 should have plenty of reserves.

The v10 client is running in a framework. Think of it as a Chrome(ium) browser running with the app as front end. Chrome is a resources hog.

After the database is organized, things calm down. On my Mac (i7) the desktop client needs below 10% on idle, 20-30% when busy and never goes beyond 60% for a few seconds.

Well i'm going to leave it but i'm worried about the inability to open files using right click open.. so it's not specific to PDF's but JPGS too.. this is going to be interesting!  

You know what I don't understand : 

Old database (legacy ) F: drive:

image.png.c9707902a3cc329d7a3f354c23fca28b.png

V10 Database in progress .. Look at the files:

image.png.16fe286b2fdfa1ce3c3541476dbdcfd2.png

It don't make no sense! 

What's with the thousands of files and folders ?

3 hours ago, s2sailor said:

Why?  V10 implemented real time editing which essentially is instantaneous syncing.  They have been working through some problems but it removes the need for a sync button.

My first experience with this so-called 'instantaneous syncing' was multiple instances of duplicate notes, lost data, notes not syncing.   Admittedly I haven't tried it in a while because after getting burned the first 20 times *why would I*  -- but now the choice has apparently been made for me so oh well.  Maybe as you say it's all puppies and rainbows now and I'm just a never-satisfied crank for not trying it sooner. Guess we'll see!

• Like 1
4 hours ago, s2sailor said:

I work on 2 different devices—a PC desktop and a PC laptop. The last time I tried to use the updated version, I could not get my changes on one device to sync so that the other device would be updated with those changes (so I could keep working where I left off on the other device). 

Like hmackiernan said, the lack of a manual sync button has been the main reason I have kept using Legacy exclusively. When using the updated version, when I stopped working at my PC and wanted to switch to my laptop (to leave the house, for example), I had to sit and stare at my PC screen, waiting and hoping that my files would sync. In my experience, they did *not* sync in real-time. It seemed random, with an unknown lag time between when I'd make a change and when it would sync, because those changes I made on my PC wouldn't show up on my laptop. I was able to wait for *minutes* without the sync happening. I gave up and switched back to Legacy. 

With a manual sync button, I can force the remote database to update, so when I sync on my other computer, I can be confident the other computer will be retrieving the most updated version of my work. 

Legacy's manual sync button is the main reason why I, too, have used Legacy for years. The last time I used the updated version (earlier this year, 2023), it did not do this, so I went back to Legacy (again). 

Like hmackiernan, I've also lost notes or had duplicate notes when using the updated version. So, I am worried about losing the Legacy version. 

• Like 1

I tried installing the newer version a couple of years ago and didn't like it at all (really didn't like the look & feel / usability) so I went back to Evernote Legacy.

Not happy that continue using the Legacy app isn't an option.

I have been thinking about switching for years now, maybe this will be the push that I needed.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

@KoZz Yes it does. Legacy stored a lot of content inside of a database. From the outside you see one database file.

v10 has a central database as well, but stores content in a broad structure of folders and files. The database holds the reference data only.

The final size should be similar.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
47 minutes ago, hmackiernan said:

My first experience with this so-called 'instantaneous syncing' was multiple instances of duplicate notes, lost data, notes not syncing.   Admittedly I haven't tried it in a while because after getting burned the first 20 times *why would I*  -- but now the choice has apparently been made for me so oh well.  Maybe as you say it's all puppies and rainbows now and I'm just a never-satisfied crank for not trying it sooner. Guess we'll see!

I don’t know about it being at the puppies and rainbow stage yet, but it has improved greatly since it was first introduced in, I think, May. I also had some problems with it initially, but as of recent releases, it has worked pretty well for me.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
42 minutes ago, Peto said:

The last time I tried to use the updated version, I could not get my changes on one device to sync so that the other device would be updated with those changes (so I could keep working where I left off on the other device).

If it has been a while, I would suggest giving it another go.  If I open the same note on two devices I can see updates being made on one device as I’m typing on the other.  

• Like 2
  • Level 5

You can repeat this with 4 or 5 devices - all typing at the same time into the same note. It is syncing in real time. You see 5 little flags in different colors (the same as the rim of the avatar pics) marching along the note, each leaving new text appear behind them.

There is no more regular syncing - unless a device was offline, or the client closed.

This even happens when you have opened a note in a new window, and the same note open in the client window. Both will show an avatar, and sync between them, as if they were 2 clients.

With legacy this would create a cascade of duplicated and conflicting notes.

• Like 1

This is a bit excessive and trust me if it remains like this then I'll uninstall the latest version. How long is this supposed to last ? 

A

image.thumb.png.28ae00b6d83f5ae1d888d83648657495.png

Also just out of curiosity what are your guys Evernote folder like in terms of number of files.. This has shot up big time ...

image.png.d336cb4e1b8456ce4187722929642da6.png

This isn't sustainable .. No app should consume 70% CPU usage... I'll give it the benefit of the doubt but trust me.. I'm super cheese off with all this madness.. and trust. .It's madness what else is this?

Imagine my rig was subpar.. it would have blue screened by now!

I've actually got things to do and I cannot do anything until this finishes.. even with my home CCTV software.. CPU idles at 2% constantly.. hope this Evernote isn't going to be an issue or it'll have to come off my system and I'll have no choice but to revert back to Legacy regardless of problems such as opening PDF's , JPGS etc.. if this affects CPU usage after it's doing whatever it's doing then I'm uninstalling.. 

I just don't understand it .. my entire day has been wasted today and I'm sitting here and my PC fans are cracked up because of the elevated CPU temps because evernote has decided to unpack itself or something along those lines :( all to my C drive too.. 

• Level 5

It uses 70% of one core. If you have an 8 core, this is equivalent to 8.75% of total CPU resources. Not really much, it is currently building a multi-GB local database.

An alternative is the web client, that runs in a browser. But it doesn’t have a local database, and only works while it has an internet connection.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Your own screenshot posted way above this posting shows the total of all EN processes at appr. 40%.

Beside this even if it would be higher - what is the purpose of a potent CPU ? I think to use it.

That the i9 has a heat problem by design, and will make excessive use of the fans is not the fault of EN. I installed the v10 client last on my new M1 MacMini. Just took it, build the database without showing any distress.

But I digress. This is how it looks on my MacBook Pro with i7, with the EN desktop client open and idle:

image.png.6b6e6426ca27f2de1deb5192d3735a2b.png

13 hours ago, KoZz said:

I just migrated over to another app today, for many of the same reasons you've shared. Went smoothly. I don't think I can get a refund mid-subscription, so I will still have Evernote available through the end of the year if needed.

I've been sticking to the native Evernote for as long as possible, but had to install 10.* today. Check out the size difference on the app:

Screenshot2023-09-29at4_52_58PM.png.2bffdc3b3534c2d4724307586bb7619d.png

1 hour ago, Not Will said:

I just migrated over to another app today, for many of the same reasons you've shared

Which app did you migrate to? 

I have some lots of GB of data (mostly PDFs) and will probably have a hard time migrating to something else. I rely heavily on V7 and will not (again) invest time in V10.

I made several attempts and was appalled at how Evernote 10 was missing basic functionality that was present in V7 - apart from data loss and corrupt and / or dupliate (multiplied) notes.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

Your own screenshot posted way above this posting shows the total of all EN processes at appr. 40%.

Beside this even if it would be higher - what is the purpose of a potent CPU ? I think to use it.

That the i9 has a heat problem by design, and will make excessive use of the fans is not the fault of EN. I installed the v10 client last on my new M1 MacMini. Just took it, build the database without showing any distress.

But I digress. This is how it looks on my MacBook Pro with i7, with the EN desktop client open and idle:

image.png.6b6e6426ca27f2de1deb5192d3735a2b.png

How will I determine when this back-end process has finished ? I've just checked the folder of the %appdata%\roaming\evernote and it's exceeded the size of the legacy Evernote folder.. the legacy folder was 13.5GB and this one is now... 13.7GB .. that's taken 8+ hours lol to even get here!

I'm sure it'll be done by the morning but what is the indication that it's completed CPU usage drops back to normal one would presume ? 

I rebooted and CPU seems fine I persume this has finished doing what it's doing. Anyway major issue.. Evernote cannot open any file within Evernote i.e. any file that needs to be opened with an external program.. .PDF , .JPG, . DOCX (Word ) Therefore cannot open any attachments in v10.. Legacy is fine.. 

Again spinning blue circle.. doesn't even attempt to launch program.. Ahh hold on.. could be controlled folder access I hope not!!!!

Ok PDF , JPG, Word opening.. so it's possible that some people may have CFA enabled in Windows Defender .. Obviously because v10 is new , one would need to allow permission for the application to make changes to protected folders i.e My documents etc.. this was causing the issue and the freezing.. sorry this was an oversight on my part.. 

Anyway guys, we have progression.. v10 installed so far so good, CPU back to normal and it looks all right to me.. 

I'll run side by side and I'll be posting in here any issues I encounter moving forward...

Goodnight

• Like 2
  • Level 5
39 minutes ago, Feitz said:

I made several attempts and was appalled at how Evernote 10 was missing basic functionality that was present in V7 - apart from data loss and corrupt and / or dupliate (multiplied) notes.

Recent updates (recent weeks and recent months) have addressed data loss and duplicate issues. WRT missing functionality, can you say more? Again, if it's been a year or more since your last look at v. 10 it's possible that what you're looking for is back. And of course there are features such as backlinks that Legacy never had.

3 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Recent updates (recent weeks and recent months) have addressed data loss and duplicate issues

Thank you for your answer. The last time I made an effort to switch was about 6 months ago, so I might have missed these improvements. On the other hand it is not reassuring that these issues - which should be absolute show-stoppers for any serious user - have only been resolved lately (how long is V10 online?).

OK strange question before bed.. I just moved the local database to my SSD F: drive and I've noticed that it only moved like 5GB into a new folder I created called Evernote-v10.. the remaining data still resides in the roaming folder in %appdata%.. is this normal?  I thought the the entire folder would move across?

The reason I have Evernote database on a differnet drive is because sometimes my system may crash and I may need to perform a system restore using like clonezilla for example.. this works well with Evernote because the database is stored on a different SDD thus the structure of data is not impacted. Whereas imagine if evernote was contained on C drive and then a restore took place which restored data from a month ago.. that would cause chaos..

So what I'm trying to ascertain here is what was moved .. it was only 5gb and what was retained in %appdata% as I'm a bit concerned this may be impacted in I ever have to restore my system.

This is the amount of files and data remaining in %appdata% on the C drive :

image.png.35deeae285add3e240b7745bc42a2877.png

This is what has been moved over to F: \ Evernote-v10

image.png.c1c20c09fc7024720d65b3cdfa01f90a.png

Another question I have, in Legacy I had a method I used to save changes direct to notes.. I could say open a jpg and make a change to it and rather than save it out of evernote and have to reimport it.. I could click on say save to original folder which I think was in the Evernote\Databases\Attachments folder - Save it over the file which was opened in there and it would save directly over the note without having to do all that long windedness... How do I get this to work in v10 ?

• Level 5*
10 hours ago, Feitz said:

have only been resolved lately (how long is V10 online?

It may be more relevant to remember that the new owners are (apparently) very successful software developers but only took over development a few months ago...

• Like 1

So far I'm impressed.. Glad I'm over that initial hurdle, been deferring for ages... in fact, looking at what they've incorporated , I may be able to take productivity to a new level. I was looking at the new features in v10.x last night before I went to bed and David Allen (Getting Things Done) kept springing to mind.. I may be able to implement his GTD system in this version of EN.

However, the points I've raised above need looking into as I'm not sure what would ever happen if I needed to perform a system restore. Like I said, I've moved the DB to a different SSD yet some files remain in the roaming folder in %appdata% .. Also I figured out that temp files are created in "My Documents" this is what threw the software off with regards to CFA (controlled folder access) .. So when I asked how you could open a file say a jpg, resize and save to the original location.. that location in this version of Evernote is in My Documents.. it creates temp files there.

Anyway the only reason I've jumped back into Legacy to made any changes , is to change the Updated time stamp... I'm going to see how things go..

But I do need to make sure I know how things work in a disaster recovery scenario 

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, gazumped said:
10 hours ago, Feitz said:

have only been resolved lately (how long is V10 online?

It may be more relevant to remember that the new owners are (apparently) very successful software developers but only took over development a few months ago...

I am aware of that but since my Evernote data is critical to me I don't care why sync caused data corruption. The fact it was allegedly resolved only recently is not reassuring.

I was working in SAP infrastructure. One thing I have learned is that you simply don't upgrade to recently updated software but rather wait until it has proven it works flawlessly.

Are you confident that data loss and corruption are solved for good in Evernote?

At least it works on Legacy so I'm staying as long as possible.

I know you guys have concerns about synching etc.. 

I was messing around last night in the new v10 environment and I created a Task which had an unchecked "radio" button...

I opened that same task on my mobile phone, and the very moment that I pressed the radio button it was "instantly" marked on the PC end - it was literally actioned in real time.

As for syncing notes. I noticed if I dragged documents into the import folder on the my desktop those didn't appear straight away - the way I got round this was to simply create a new note called test and then they appeared.

However, going back to the the radio button in a task note. That was super impressive, real-time actioning!

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, Feitz said:

At least it works on Legacy so I'm staying as long as possible.

My point was that (IMHO) in the last few months we've had more new features and service improvements than the previous few years.  And if you actually start using the new app you'll be fully up to speed with its capabilities when Legacy finally closes down forever.  As it is,  you'll have all the joys of learning new processes thrust upon you at some future time...

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
16 minutes ago, KoZz said:

But I do need to make sure I know how things work in a disaster recovery scenario

One of my prime feature requests is an easy backup system.  I used Backupery (subscription required) to get a daily snapshot of my account whilst I used Legacy,  and I've used it - less often - since for some contingency backups.  (It's now exporting from the server copy of my database, not the local files,  and takes a long time to complete).

There's another (more technical but free) option here https://github.com/vzhd1701/evernote-backup

To recreate your account you only ever need to download the latest installer from Evernote.com and log in - everything else will be downloaded and processed from the server.  But it's my data,  so I feel like I want a local backup copy too...

1 minute ago, gazumped said:

One of my prime feature requests is an easy backup system.  I used Backupery (subscription required) to get a daily snapshot of my account whilst I used Legacy,  and I've used it - less often - since for some contingency backups.  (It's now exporting from the server copy of my database, not the local files,  and takes a long time to complete).

There's another (more technical but free) option here https://github.com/vzhd1701/evernote-backup

To recreate your account you only ever need to download the latest installer from Evernote.com and log in - everything else will be downloaded and processed from the server.  But it's my data,  so I feel like I want a local backup copy too...

No I understand what your saying. I'm just a bit concerned there may be a conflict (maybe notes overwritten even) if I were to ever perform a system restore from say a snapshot which is over a month old (does happen with me).

The DB folder which is only 5gb (doesn't make sense) is now on a different drive and yet 8gb folder is the appdata\roaming\evernote > very odd how it's split it like that. 

Not sure if this will cause a problem. Also, I tried to do mass export in the latest version of EN using the sign-out , ctrl - shift E method and no joy. So for now I can still use legacy and perform rapid full backup in less than 3 minutes using that method, however,, once they ditch legacy what would be the way to obtain a copy of notes for local retention using the latest version? the github.com/ backup method ?

We'll cross that road when we get to it I guess.. and your right. having local copy of notes is important. I have found in the past I've screwed a note completely and having local copies I've been able to import the note I lost or messed up from the respective notebook .enex backup which is well handy to have.

Any ideas what the shortcut is in v10 that brings up the crosshair to clip a snippet directly into Evernote? 

On Legacy it was ctrl - alt - s.. it brought up horizontal and vertical lines displaying Realtime coordinates and you could clip directly into a new note.. it's not working neither in legacy maybe because of this side by side situation ?

image.png.153d047b4adb519f2f40ae4b252248a0.png

Doesn't work :(

For me on Win 10 ALT+CTRL+S works for screen clipping. Maybe another app/legacy or your OS as taken it over?

Shut down legacy when using V10 as you could end up with the same notes open on both and them trying to convert/reconvert all the time.

The keyboard icon at the bottom of the sidebar on V10 lets you see all shortcuts and you can re-map quite a few as well.

7 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Screen clipper doesn’t work on Win11, thanks to Win11. The alternative is the Windows own screen clipper, then copy & paste into a note.

Screen Clipper worked in Win 11 for Legacy. I used it all the time > the problem using native windows screen clip using alt , shift + s..  is that it creates those individual clippings which are located in my documents\pictures someplace.. found this the other day. The folder is jam packed..

Your right though, this isn't working in win11 for v10.. I've closed Legacy and it's not having it.. oh well standard clipping tool is going to have to do for now.. just saved a lot of time being able to clip directly into EN.. Oh well 

Hi,

I am a teacher and have been using Evernote for around 10 years now. I use Evernote in only one way, to create ink notes (handwritten notes with digital pen). I have been using version 6.25.1 for a number of years now and it works perfect for me.

If I update, will I be able to continue to create handwritten notes? What will happen to all the notes that I have? I am happy with the "linear paper" for handwritten notes in version 6.25.1, will that be the same when I update?

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, KoZz said:

I'm just a bit concerned there may be a conflict (maybe notes overwritten even) if I were to ever perform a system restore from say a snapshot which is over a month old (does happen with me).

Hmmn.  There's a lot that can go wrong with both old and new versions around backups,  including the fact that if you replace a current database with an old one,  the server will detect that your replacement note is older than its own copy and will promptly overwrite your correction with the previous version again.

General best practice would be:

• only ever export single notebooks to ENEX.  The file format doesn't hold notebook information, so your restore from an account-level export it would be into one big notebook.
  • if you have to replace note content,  restore the whole notebook to a temporary notebook,  copy the individual content and paste it into the current version of that note,  overwriting the current content.  Delete your temporary notebook.
  • in v10 don't mess with Evernote's local files - they're not user-friendly!

As for copy/ pasting - I use ShiftWinS to grab an area (in windows 11 watch out fo rthe little menu at the top of your screen with options) and once grabbed I can paste the result immediately into a note.  No processing required.  The screengrab goes straight to the Windows Clipboard.

• Level 5*
10 minutes ago, patrik.friggebo@vrg.se said:

If I update, will I be able to continue to create handwritten notes? What will happen to all the notes that I have? I am happy with the "linear paper" for handwritten notes in version 6.25.1, will that be the same when I update?

V10 does not really support handwriting.  You'd have to try out the 'Sketch' feature to see if it measures up,  but most folks (I believe) prefer a specialist handwriting app.  These have been mentioned here before...

16 minutes ago, gazumped said:

V10 does not really support handwriting.  You'd have to try out the 'Sketch' feature to see if it measures up,  but most folks (I believe) prefer a specialist handwriting app.  These have been mentioned here before...

Thanks for the info. Do you know what happens to my ink notes when I update? Will I even be able to see them?

9 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Hmmn.  There's a lot that can go wrong with both old and new versions around backups,  including the fact that if you replace a current database with an old one,  the server will detect that your replacement note is older than its own copy and will promptly overwrite your correction with the previous version again.

General best practice would be:

• only ever export single notebooks to ENEX.  The file format doesn't hold notebook information, so your restore from an account-level export it would be into one big notebook.
  • if you have to replace note content,  restore the whole notebook to a temporary notebook,  copy the individual content and paste it into the current version of that note,  overwriting the current content.  Delete your temporary notebook.
  • in v10 don't mess with Evernote's local files - they're not user-friendly!

As for copy/ pasting - I use ShiftWinS to grab an area (in windows 11 watch out fo rthe little menu at the top of your screen with options) and once grabbed I can paste the result immediately into a note.  No processing required.  The screengrab goes straight to the Windows Clipboard.

Well I was thinking. Maybe to be on the safe side.. If I ever were to perform a system restore due to a problem with my environment.. Maybe once I'm back into windows , first thing would be to uninstall Evernote without opening it.. that way it's gone and then re-install the latest version from evernote.com and allow it to populate the latest version of the database from server side..

In legacy there were no issues - I've carried out numerous system restores when things have gone pair shaped and because the Evernote Database is in it's own folder on a separate drive I didn't have to worry about Evernote, I could open the app despite restoring my system to say a few months prior and it would be current and up to date. 

The problem with the new version is where the devs chose where and how to house files especially in that %appdata%\roaming\evernote folder.. 

Do you have any idea why by me moving my DB via settings\tools to F:\Evernote-v10 that this folder in question is only 5.2gb? Yet roaming\Evernote in %appdata% is still 8.2gb ?

So Legacy database is 13.2gb in one file "name".exb

There is some connection to the database that was move which is only deemed as 5.2gb (which is strange) and the remainder of those files which still reside in roaming..

Anyway glad we've had this discussion because 100% to be on the safe side, if I ever have to restore a system image from a previous date. I will most certainly uninstall Evernote as a first port of call and then re-install which should bring me back up to speed but yet it'll take a day to update like it did yesterday which is fine.. besides.. If Legacy is still working because I'm now in a side by side arrangement , that won't be affected as we've established program vs database files are completely separate and on separate disks!

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
29 minutes ago, patrik.friggebo@vrg.se said:

Do you know what happens to my ink notes when I update? Will I even be able to see them?

You'll certainly be able to see them - I don't know whether you would be able to make any changes though.  If you don't have a working v10 yet and are willing to share* one of those notes with me by DM,  I can open it in v10 and see what happens...?

EDIT - sorry,  *meant: copy the share link into DM or export to ENEX and send me the file (!)

18 minutes ago, gazumped said:

You'll certainly be able to see them - I don't know whether you would be able to make any changes though.  If you don't have a working v10 yet and are willing to share* one of those notes with me by DM,  I can open it in v10 and see what happens...?

EDIT - sorry,  *meant: copy the share link into DM or export to ENEX and send me the file (!)

Many thanks! Attached to this reply you will find a .enex file of one of my ink notes.

Bohrs atommodell (inkl. historik, väteatomen, energinivådiagram och excitation).enex

What's the situation with this? I noticed that since I closed Legacy that files are building up in my import folder

image.png.c61a63ea5d9f2d38880bda28edf68f4e.png

Remove source file (coming soon) will remove it once it's imported ? 

So for now I need to delete manually right ?

3 hours ago, gazumped said:

My point was that (IMHO) in the last few months we've had more new features and service improvements than the previous few years.  And if you actually start using the new app you'll be fully up to speed with its capabilities when Legacy finally closes down forever.  As it is,  you'll have all the joys of learning new processes thrust upon you at some future time...

Apologies for the very basic questions here. Looks like I will finally have to update to V10. I use Evernote to organize information that becomes historical files for future reference once the project/topic is completed.

Like Kozz I am quite nervous about the update. I have used EN for more than 14 years & depend on it to maintain an organized, searchable database of my work, leisure, & volunteer life. I would like to find the step by step directions for using Legacy & V10 side by side.
One comment was to 'use new version as the web client'. The meaning or how to implement that is unclear.
Anopther suggestion was to 'copy the databases folder to the desktop as well as the installation file for legacy'. Then installing V10 will be easy... Sooooo - the V10 install will create all new program files (will not overwrite the legacy program) & empty databases etc?  How would I then be able to go back to the legacy program to access information if there were to be a problem? 

1 hour ago, betnel said:

Apologies for the very basic questions here. Looks like I will finally have to update to V10. I use Evernote to organize information that becomes historical files for future reference once the project/topic is completed.

Like Kozz I am quite nervous about the update. I have used EN for more than 14 years & depend on it to maintain an organized, searchable database of my work, leisure, & volunteer life. I would like to find the step by step directions for using Legacy & V10 side by side.
One comment was to 'use new version as the web client'. The meaning or how to implement that is unclear.
Anopther suggestion was to 'copy the databases folder to the desktop as well as the installation file for legacy'. Then installing V10 will be easy... Sooooo - the V10 install will create all new program files (will not overwrite the legacy program) & empty databases etc?  How would I then be able to go back to the legacy program to access information if there were to be a problem? 

This is easiest way if you follow what I did you'll be up and running in no time.

Go into C:\Program Files(x86)\Evernote . In there right click and copy Evernote Legacy and paste it there it'll create a new folder called "Evernote Legacy - Copy" You'll be using this to access legacy moving forward for the side by side situation...

So after you paste, you'll have two folders one without the - Copy.. The original folder without the copy, will be removed when you update to v10.. but the "Copy" will remain as it's not included as part of the v10 clean up wizard.. it'll remain intact and this you will use for running the side by side with v10.

Don't worry about copying anything to desktop,  I didn't do that and in fact , even if you copy the database to desktop, you'll delete it later.. it's of no use. it's just backup, but you don't need it.. Just make sure in Legacy EN you move the database elsewhere PRIOR to the upgrade...

So go into Evernote Legacy > Tools > Options > under General at the bottom. Select a different drive and move the DB. This takes very little time and is automatic don't worry.. It'll move the DB to wherever you specify.

image.png.be0092647b90a0824a7cf5c4a76894d4.png

Once you've moved the DB to a different location, and I would move it into a folder like I have , don't move it at root level or you'll complicate matters. Create a folder called Evernote on a different HDD/SDD and move it into that to be safe.

Once that's done, go to https://evernote.com/download > this will download the latest installer.

Double click the installer, it'll say we need to a cleanup/uninstall of the old version etc .. yes don't worry about this because we've created a copy which will be excluded from that process.

If you read above you'll know where the v10 install will reside, in %appdata%\roaming\evernote.. 

Let it do it's thing. And when you want to run side by side go into c:\program files\(x86)\evernote\Evernote Legacy - Copy create a shortcut to the evernote.exe and put on your desktop or wherever you'll be launching it from as to not waste time having to navigate into that folder constantly.. and that's it.

Legacy is a grey icon and v10 is a white and green icon :

image.png.49e9005202638ee5bd55a31e2ab65784.png

Good luck it's not difficult at all trust me. I was worried to.. I'm happy so far with v10.. way way WAY more features and it's very smooth after it replicates etc!!!

I may even incorporate my calendar today and where have Tasks been all my life!!!! Damn!!

P.S.. Create a backup real quick before you do anything. Click file top left of Evenote > Sign Out > on the splash screen press Ctrl Shift E > export all notes desktop. this won't take long, depending on your DB..  I'd DO THIS FIRST.. it'll backup everything in their respective notebooks as ENEX files and then at least you have an entire copy of ALL your notes in their respective notebooks.. then carry out the steps above..

Peace
KoZz

• Like 1