• 2
Chantal Leonard

Evernote for Windows 6.6 GA Released

Idea

Today we're releasing version 6.6 GA - you cadownload it here. This release gives all users access to the new editor including better tables and image preview functionality along with some improvements to the share dialog. 

Our new editor has some changes in it's behavior including how it handles copy/paste, simplify formating and lays out content. We're continuing to track feedback in this and other areas to understand what to refine next in terms of the experience, so please keep the feedback coming as we're expecting to include more tweaks along with more editing features in 6.7 and upcoming releases.

Thanks,

Chantal and the rest of the Windows and the Editor teams! 

--------------------

Full release notes for version 6.6: 

Evernote for Windows 6.6 Release Notes

Major improvements to tables!

Some highlights:

  • Quickly add rows and columns – via the plus button
  • Easily select cells – by clicking-and-dragging, or by clicking the column/row headers
  • Efficiently drag and drop rows & columns – by clicking on the row/column headers, and then dragging and dropping the row/column elsewhere
  • Better copy/paste – copy multiple cells, then place your cursor anywhere in the table to paste into multiple cells
  • New fixed width columns – so that as you increase/decrease one column’s width, it does not affect the next column’s width
  • New horizontally scrollable tables – so that you won’t need to expand your window wide to view a table that has many columns
  • Access advanced table functions – via the new menu which provides options such as
    • Resizing the table width to match the current window size
    • Distributing selected columns evenly
    • Adjusting alignment of content in cells
    • Changing cell background color
  • Additional info: The new tables do not support "table-in-table" or "merged cell" functionality. If you paste incompatible tables into a note, then the tables in the note will not have the updated table features or controls (including resizing). In a future update, we plan to support pasted-in tables that have merged cells.

New image gallery!

Double-click on an image to enter the gallery mode, which allows you to quickly browse all the images in your note!

New editor

Evernote for Windows now utilizes the new editor, which has been rewritten to allow for more rapid improvements to the editor moving forward.

Improved Share dialog

More easily share notes via our improved UI which allows sharing to another evernote user or through a public link.

Bug fixes

A number of user reported bugs are now fixed in this release:

  • Notes with tables and checkboxes were sometimes causing the app to hang
  • Line breaks were sometimes hidden below the bottom margin of the note
  • When attempting to repeatedly add attachments to a note, sometimes attachments fail to be added to note
  • When copying text from an email that contains dates/times that have were auto-formatted as links, sometimes the dates/times were not pastable into Evernote
  • If a user had changed their font size, began typing text and creating line breaks, and then deleted some text, the font size would sometimes unexpectedly revert back to the default size
  • Undo often did not work on the first try when there was a table in the note

----------------------------------

Screenshots

image.thumb.png.9e446002c7745046ca14d4a9d11d69c5.png

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post

111 replies to this idea

On ‎2017‎-‎06‎-‎02 at 6:50 AM, gustavgi said:

There is still something weird going on since beta 1 with Note font and font size in Options affecting parts of web clipped notes, as well as other changes to the note layout.

 

Skärmbild (246).png

Skärmbild (228).png

 

Two screenshots of the same old clipped note. First picture is 6.5.4 and second picture from 6.6 has:

-Changed the font of the title
-Changed the alignment of the first column to the middle, and not the top
-Removed the background colors
-Changed the colors of the links
-Made the space between the numbering and the text in the body smaller

 


These problems still exists two months later, which makes this GA version cause the same data loss by corrupting clipped notes.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, gustavgi said:


These problems still exists two months later, which makes this GA version cause the same data loss by corrupting clipped notes.

Evernote has always had issues with Fonts between systems. Several Options, such as font size are available with different Options on web and Windows. Android doesn't have them at all. I just gave up proper formatting with Evernote, it is not worth the hassle. I read a couple of times now, that the Editor is to be upgraded though with the same one on all platforms. Let's see when that happens.

Share this post


Link to post

Merge is still broken when you are Sync on Demand enabled. See this post. It was also reported in the 6.6 betas.

Bottom line is the merge happens even if the notes aren't downloaded so only the subject is merged, the note body is simply thrown in the trash.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, jaykob said:

Evernote has always had issues with Fonts between systems. Several Options, such as font size are available with different Options on web and Windows. Android doesn't have them at all. I just gave up proper formatting with Evernote, it is not worth the hassle. I read a couple of times now, that the Editor is to be upgraded though with the same one on all platforms. Let's see when that happens.

Yeah but this is not simply issues with fonts between systems, this is forced simplified formatting of a note across all platforms if you make the slightest edit..

Share this post


Link to post

I can't get sync with 6.6, nor the public version nor beta version. But the 6.5 has no problem with syncing. PS. I use both versions in China.

Evernote for Windows 6.6.4.5512 (305512) Public
OS: Windows 10.0.15063 
User: 
Memory: 88.2 MB
Created: 2017/08/03 02:02:16
---
Bootstrap info: loadedFresh
---
Unavailable
01:59:48 [23824] Utility Store request has failed. Error: Sync failed due to unexpected problem server side
01:59:49 [16948] 0% HTTP request failed, code: 500, error: Internal Server Error
01:59:52 [16948] 0% HTTP request failed, code: 500, error: Internal Server Error
01:59:54 [21484] Failed to retrieve messages from the Communication Engine Client
01:59:54 [21484] * HTTP request failed, code: 503, error: Service Unavailable
01:59:55 [3032] Client synchronization started
01:59:55 [25876] 0% Loaded updateCount: 34070
01:59:56 [25876] 0% HTTP request failed, code: 500, error: Internal Server Error
01:59:56 [3032] Client synchronization finished, status: failed
01:59:56 [3032] * error: Sync failed due to unexpected problem server side
01:59:56 [3032] * elapsed time: 1s
01:59:57 [3032] Client synchronization started
01:59:57 [25876] 0% Loaded updateCount: 34070
01:59:57 [16948] 0% HTTP request failed, code: 500, error: Internal Server Error
01:59:57 [25876] 0% HTTP request failed, code: 500, error: Internal Server Error
01:59:57 [3032] Client synchronization finished, status: failed
01:59:57 [3032] * error: Sync failed due to unexpected problem server side
02:00:05 [4188] Registered session count: 1, last session: 2017/08/03 02:00:00
02:00:09 [16948] 0% HTTP request failed, code: 500, error: Internal Server Error
02:00:33 [16948] 0% HTTP request failed, code: 500, error: Internal Server Error
02:01:19 [16948] 0% HTTP request failed, code: 500, error: Internal Server Error
02:01:47 [21900] Received status code 200 when accessing URL https://update.evernote.com/public/ENWin6/ReleaseNotes_6.6.4.5512_en-us.html

 

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks as always for the update; appreciate that Evernote is still growing and improving.

Today, this area struck me, so, I wanted to take some time to write about it.

I took a picture of a document using my iPhone Evernote app, using said app's "Document" mode.  When you come to desktop / Evernote for Windows, the "Document in Evernote" attachment shows what it looks like.  It's stretched or tall.  If you maximize the window, the document just stretches; it is not much help.  You have to double-click to open the viewer to get a semi-decent view of the document.  This has been true since the new editor came into existence.

I almost didn't write this post.  I thought, "Well, maybe that's livable."  But, then I looked at a "card" I took a picture of.  See the "Card in Evernote" attachment.  Yuck.  If you look at "Card in Evernote on iPhone" (the attachment), well, that's what a document should look like.

My food for thought; being that the iPhone and Evernote provide for document capture, document viewing needs some thinking/help.

 

Document in Evernote.png

Card in Evernote.jpg

Card in Evernote on iPhone.PNG

Share this post


Link to post

I really hate this new image viewer, and how clicking in the picture while inside the viewer suddenly zooms in. Although I could definitely how an image viewer is an improvement, it feels broken and ***** to use. I cannot find a way to turn it off, and to use the default  program I use, which is the Windows Photo Viewer.

I wish I could use my mouse to click and drag to pan around the viewing the picture, and use mouse scrolling to zoom, just like it works on the Windows Photo Viewer. I wish I could right click the picture while in viewing mode, to have options.

Having this image viewer thing pushed into me like this is really really frustrating to me.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, rushfan said:

I really hate this new image viewer, and how clicking in the picture while inside the viewer suddenly zooms in. Although I could definitely how an image viewer is an improvement, it feels broken and ***** to use. I cannot find a way to turn it off, and to use the default  program I use, which is the Windows Photo Viewer.

I wish I could use my mouse to click and drag to pan around the viewing the picture, and use mouse scrolling to zoom, just like it works on the Windows Photo Viewer. I wish I could right click the picture while in viewing mode, to have options.

Having this image viewer thing pushed into me like this is really really frustrating to me.

When you select a picture in Evernote note, it gains blue border and mouse cursor changes to the zoom icon. When you left-click it again, it will open the picture in the Evernote viewer. Instead of doing this, right-click on the picture and select "Open" from the pop-up menu. This will place it in Windows Photo Viewer. The very next option is Open With, which let you select from different programs to view and/or edit your desired picture. As a matter of fact, you do not need to first select a picture in order to invoke the menu. Just point your mouse to it, right-click on it, and then choose one of desired options from the right-click menu. But I do agree, that they could have made the better job with the viewer.

Share this post


Link to post
28 minutes ago, keisoko said:

When you select a picture in Evernote note, it gains blue border and mouse cursor changes to the zoom icon. When you left-click it again, it will open the picture in the Evernote viewer. Instead of doing this, right-click on the picture and select "Open" from the pop-up menu. This will place it in Windows Photo Viewer. The very next option is Open With, which let you select from different programs to view and/or edit your desired picture. As a matter of fact, you do not need to first select a picture in order to invoke the menu. Just point your mouse to it, right-click on it, and then choose one of desired options from the right-click menu. But I do agree, that they could have made the better job with the viewer.

That takes too many steps and mouse movements, it is extremely annoying to have to do that. You have to right-click, then hover over "Open with", then hover and click on "Windows photo viewer".

I just want to be able to decently view the pictures. In fact, it might actually be a good thing having an image viewer in Evernote. I just cannot adapt to the way it currently works, and wish they would not force this ***** sandwich on me. 

Share this post


Link to post

Hi,

Issue in this version: i can't copy an image from a mail (gmail app) and paste it in a note, this worked in the previous version.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

I use checkboxes heavily to organize my daily work. I regularly prioritize tasks by cutting and pasting lines in my to-do list into an order that suits me. 

It seems that in this new release the ability to gracefully cut/paste checkboxes is broken. 

Can you please fix it?

 

Capture1.PNG

Capture2.PNG

Share this post


Link to post

Is it just me, or did the margins in the notes increase in 6.6? Seems like a lot of wasted space in the left edge of the notes field, which means I can see less of a note's content at a glance without opening up the note into its own window.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, tavor said:

Is it just me, or did the margins in the notes increase in 6.6? Seems like a lot of wasted space in the left edge of the notes field, which means I can see less of a note's content at a glance without opening up the note into its own window.

They did. They seriously need to go on a diet. Way too big. 

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

They did. They seriously need to go on a diet. Way too big. 

In my 4K display they look incredible fine! It is most beautiful new feature in release :)

May be we need a setting for the size, but I happy with default current value.

Share this post


Link to post

I can't believe this, I waited for the official release because the beta messed up with "Paste and match style", and the official release still doesn't work, both types of paste are identical!

I understand if something that was broken before is still broken, but I have difficulty with something that worked fine before being now broken in the official release, particularly when it seems like basic functionality (plain text pasting).

Since I don't yet understand what all the fancy dancy new table features are for, and the beta discussion seemed to suggest data corruption may occur because of them, I guess I will go back to the previous version, but honestly, this is annoying.

I use plain text pasting everyday, need this feature!!

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post

Am I the only one having some specific printing problems with 6.6? 

To be precise, those wonderful new tables do not print  as formatted.  

Anything else from within Evernote will print as saved and seen on display.

Win 10,  32/64Bit  Creators Update.

Known issue? Any idea how to fix?

 

 

as formated.png

as print preview shows.png

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

I use plain text pasting all the time, need this feature!!

"Paste in current style" from context menu works for me fine.

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, Don Dz said:

I can't believe this, I waited for the official release because the beta messed up with "Paste and match style", and the official release still doesn't work, both types of paste are identical!

I understand if something that was broken before is still broken, but I have difficulty with something that worked fine before being now broken in the official release, particularly when it seems like basic functionality (plain text pasting).

Since I don't yet understand what all the fancy dancy new table features are for, and the beta discussion seemed to suggest data corruption may occur because of them, I guess I will go back to the previous version, but honestly, this is annoying.

I use plain text pasting all the time, need this feature!!

Example in attachment: paste and "paste in current syle":

2017-08-03 22_02_50-Все блокноты - demas@fastmail.com - Evernote.png

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, andrey.demidov said:

"Paste in current style" from context menu works for me fine.

I just deleted the new version, I did not see "currently style" in the context menu of the new Windows update.  I would be willing to try again, but if you are correct, then what exactly is the difference between "Paste in current style" and  "Paste and match style"?

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

 then what exactly is the difference between "Paste in current style" and  "Paste and match style"

I thing it is the same menu. I am using non-english localization and translate it in English by myself.

But this feature works for me.

Share this post


Link to post
11 minutes ago, andrey.demidov said:

I thing it is the same menu. I am using non-english localization and translate it in English by myself.

But this feature works for me.

I see.  Copy and paste from a web page pastes everything including graphics, tables and formatting, as is, in normal paste, or just text in "paste and match style".  Your example contained no graphics, just a little formatting (just font size as far as I can tell), could you confirm with an example full of formatting and graphics?  Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Don Dz said:

This is what I mean:

Normal paste 

Image.png

Paste and Match Style:

154
 
The Urban Dictionary Mug
One side has the word, one side has the definition. Microwave and dishwasher safe. Lotsa space for your liquids.
 
BUY THE MUG
 
This is with the old version, the new version would show both pastes with the graphics and full formatting.

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

 the new version would show both pastes with the graphics and full formatting

Yes, I just can confirm it.

Share this post


Link to post

Can you specify how the changes in "simplify formatting" and possibly "remove formatting" are intended to work? I can't figure it out, and it just seems to not work. 

Not that I'm entirely happy with how it used to work (eg, it inserted lots of line breaks between paragraph, and sometimes broke tables), but it removed font information and converted everything to "default font" on whatever platform, which was very useful. Can't seem to get that.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now