Selective Notebook Sync

csbrown

Idea

I too am for the selective sync feature. Not just disk space even bandwidth too is saved with that feature. 

Not sure if Evernote allow local notebooks be synced across different operating systems. In my case home is Mac and work is Windows. 

Sounds like Web is the way to go, but I like having notes app ability to access via a little icon on system tray. Keep the concerns separate.

I know a few who save all of their invoices and even manage tax via Evernote. All of them too say if such feature as selective sync was available, past years books can be left out sight.

This look like an old topic but does anyone know if selective sync will be introduced soon? I've been using Evernote now for 4 years - primarily online and on my iPhone. I'm running lout of storage calacity on my phone so will frustratingly have to cancel  my Evernote subscription soon if they don't do it soon!

talking of which can anyone give any advice on how to bulk save all my ever notes locally into a generic format so I don't need ever note to view them. 

Many thanks! Ed 

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, lazydog said:

This look like an old topic but does anyone know if selective sync will be introduced soon? I've been using Evernote now for 4 years - primarily online and on my iPhone. I'm running lout of storage calacity on my phone so will frustratingly have to cancel  my Evernote subscription soon if they don't do it soon!

There's no word from Evernote on Selective Sync, however I thought this was more of an issue for the desktop platforms.

On the iPhone, you have the option of selecting which notebooks are sync'd to your device (known as Offline Access)

>>can anyone give any advice on how to bulk save all my ever notes locally into a generic format so I don't need ever note to view them

As part of my backup procedures, I store an export of my notes in iCloud in html format. This export option is available on the desktop platforms.

I haven't used it, but I understand there's an service called Cloudhq which exports notes to Dropbox in pdf format.

There is always the web platform to access notes.  While you can't use Evernote Web with IOS, you can still access notes on your iPhone using the note link.

24 minutes ago, lazydog said:

talking of which can anyone give any advice on how to bulk save all my ever notes locally into a generic format so I don't need ever note to view them. 

Many thanks! Ed 

Don't hold your breath, sir. Evernote is infamously apathetic about feature requests, no matter how reasonable, logical, or productivity-enhancing said features might be.

Thanks for letting mw know - thats very disappointing to know. I'll have to plan to leave evernote - does anyone know how hard it is to save your files in another format before stopping your membership?  

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, lazydog said:

Thanks for letting mw know - thats very disappointing to know. I'll have to plan to leave evernote

I don't get it - You have selective sync on your iPhone , so you're disappointed and have to leave Evernote?

You might want to keep your account open at the free basic tier.
It will give you access to your notes via the web platform.

>>does anyone know how hard it is to save your files in another format
HTML format can be exported on the desktop platforms.  I think the only export format on the iphone is enex or mailing a note - and its on a note-by-note basis
You can also look at the share list, there are some other options available; like pdf to ibooks - still only for single notes.

No!  The problem is I do not have selective sync on my iPhone (and apparently little hope of it being available soon). I will have to stop using ever note as I'm running out of space on my phone (I have a lot of notes with voice recording etc)!

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, lazydog said:

No!  The problem is I do not have selective sync on my iPhone

If you're not using offline books - your notes are not taking up much space on your iphone
They are stored on the web server

• Like 1

Agreed. The problem though is i need selective sync. Many of the notes I need when i don't have internet access (i'm a hospital doctor working in a hospital with lots of wifi black spots!). I need to be able to choose which I have off line and which I don't (as i can with dropbox for example.) 

• Level 5*
21 minutes ago, lazydog said:

Agreed. The problem though is i need selective sync. Many of the notes I need when i don't have internet access (i'm a hospital doctor working in a hospital with lots of wifi black spots!). I need to be able to choose which I have off line and which I don't (as i can with dropbox for example.) 

You can have one notebook for offline sync.
Store the required notes in that notebook.
All your other notes will remain on the Evernote servers

Many thanks for tip. Unfortunately i have quite a few notes i need which are structured across quite a few note books - i don't want to have to move them to one note book. 

Although how do you set up just one notebook for off line sync (Really surprising if you can do one notebook they don't let you do the other!)

• Level 5*
On April 25, 2016 at 9:28 AM, lazydog said:

Although how do you set up just one notebook for off line sync

See https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209005177-How-to-set-up-offline-notebooks-on-mobile-devices

>>i have quite a few notes i need which are structured across quite a few note books - i don't want to have to move them to one note book. 

You might want to think about switching to a tag structure.
As you can see, a notebook structure has the disadvantage of blocking you from some features since you are locked into the features of the notebook

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Frank.dg said:

Could you expand on this please?

>As you can see, the notebook structure has the disadvantage of blocking you from some features.

I have three main notebooks - Inbox, Filing, Trash
and other notebooks for their special features:  Sharing, Local, Offline

In putting my note in a specific notebook, I'm locked into its set of features. I've avoided this by using a tag organization structure instead of a notebook structure.

Tags vs Notebooks
- tags have unlimited hierarchy (desktop feature)
  notebooks have 2 levels via stacks
- multiple tags per notes; single notebook per note
- search for multiple tags; search only allows for one notebook

- in a .enex export/import, tags are retained, notebooks are not

• Like 1

Using notebooks does not preclude the use of tags. But tagging has been given quite a boost in Windows v.6 with being able to select a parent tag and have all the children filtered for as well. More of a genuine nesting dynamic now :-)

Re: shared notebooks... You're right in that a tag-based system would allow one to pop miscellaneous notes from multiple hierarchies into a single notebook for offline and/ or sharing purposes. 

I see a notebook-based setup as a particular challenge as it relates to @lazydog's needs. Although I've always thought that it would be great to have "offline tags" so as to share all notes related to a single tag. That would, I think, make both sides (if it were in fact a polar thing) happy... People could continue using notebooks and use "offline tags" for sharing miscellaneous, spread-out notes... or if using a tag-based setup, one would not have to create notebooks for the purpose of sharing. 

Afternoon Everyone,

I see this is an old thread, about a year, so I think it's worth re-visiting (because I was specifically looking for this feature and can't find it.)  

I am using EN Windows current client (6.x), and am not seeing a Selective Sync feature yet.  

Is it there and I'm not seeing it, or is it not availabe (and is that "YET???", or "No, they aren't going to do it.")  I'm asking because I don't want two separate EN accounts (one for work, one for personal), you wouldn't think EN would want that either, but, anyway, I digress.  Is there a Selective Sync feature at this point?

Thank-you,

David

• Level 5*
On June 29, 2016 at 11:45 AM, David Reed said:

Is there a Selective Sync feature at this point?

Currently only available on the mobile platforms

This has been submitted as a feature request in the feedback forum.  You might want to go there and show your support by voting

• Like 1
7 hours ago, DTLow said:

Currently only available on the mobile platforms

This has been submitted as a feature request in the feedback forum.  You might want to go there and show your support by voting

I will do this!

It seems like EN has ignored what I think is probably the most-requested feature, and reduced functionality (number of devices) and increased price...do I have that right?  Really liking EN, but, not having Selective Sync is a b*tch...it's the one thing that, if it had it, would make it worth paying for.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, David Reed said:

It seems like EN has ignored what I think is probably the most-requested feature, and reduced functionality (number of devices) and increased price...do I have that right?  Really liking EN, but, not having Selective Sync is a b*tch...it's the one thing that, if it had it, would make it worth paying for.

Can you explain "probably the most-requested feature"?
The request doesn't seem to have gotten that many votes (in the current time frame)

Edited by DTLow
Added (In the current time frame) to my comment on votes
  • Level 5*

it's probably not "most requested." i guess nested notebooks, raising the notebook limit, or functioning bullets in the editor  would be more popular requests. the vote counts are a poor reflection of user interest, in my opinion. selective sync has been a problem since evernote's earliest days, so it is, at the very least, a long-requested feature.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Totally agree - I don't mean to hijack the subject, but... the vote count has little correlation to reality. Especially when the vote count can be used on 1.)  multiple threads re-stating the same topic or 2.) individual posts that contain a variety of topics or 3.) confusing vague posts.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, DTLow said:

The request doesn't seem to have gotten that many votes

In addition to GM's comments the voter mechanism (warts and all) is relatively new and doesn't capture or reflect the years of prior requests.

• Level 5*
12 minutes ago, jbenson2 said:

Totally agree - I don't mean to hijack the subject, but... the vote count has little correlation to reality. Especially when the vote count can be used on 1.)  multiple threads re-stating the same topic or 2.) individual posts that contain a variety of topics or 3.) confusing vague posts.

10 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

In addition to GM's comments the voter mechanism (warts and all) is relatively new and doesn't capture or reflect the years of prior requests.

The voting numbers are one of the indicators that I use; and Evernote has said they are using it

Anyways, the issue I was contesting was "I think is probably the most-requested feature"

• Level 5*
14 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Anyways, the issue I was contesting was "I think is probably the most-requested feature"

Yes, I suspect @David Reed was just commenting based on his subjective reading of the forum over time. 

The point I was trying to make is that the voting mechanism can "not" be used as an indicator of the most requested feature since it is newly implemented and does not capture the years of customer input that occurred on this forum before the voting mechanism existed.

I would agree that it can be used as "some" indication of current desire but even then, the voting system, as currently implemented, has problems as others have indicated.

• Level 5*

I edited my post to show my comment on votes related to the current time frame

Maybe now this conversation will get back to Selective Sync

• Level 5*
9 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Maybe now this conversation will get back to Selective Sync

Well, it was "your" response to @David Reed that started the tangent.  The other posts were just comments and clarifications based on that.  

If you want to police the forums and keep them on topic I would suggest that you first look internally.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
47 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

Well, it was "your" response to @David Reed that started the tangent.  The other posts were just comments and clarifications based on that.  

If you want to police the forums and keep them on topic I would suggest that you first look internally.

Fine - I apologize for causing the tangent by mentioning most requested feature and voting ;)

Lending my support for this feature.  We have on the mobile versions so why not the desktop version?  Google Drive and Box both have this feature and it is great to be able to store things on the cloud and be selective as to what goes onto my various computers.  As with others, the issue is space on my SSD Macbook.   I would go so far as to say I use Evernote less than I otherwise would because this feature does not exist - I have made a lot of use of Google Drive instead (which has the feature).

I think this is in Evernote's commercial interests.

(I too have a Macbook with SSD)

choices are: 

• 60Mb free
  • 1Gb Plus
  • 10Gb premium

with tools like PDFPenpro I can search anyway

I'm not a big fan of context

- If I can't manage what I store where - must I cut back? - If I cut back why not downgrade my plan...

it'll save money, whilst I evaluate the alternatives

• Level 5*
27 minutes ago, JohnG said:

- If I can't manage what I store where - must I cut back? - If I cut back why not downgrade my plan...

I'm not clear on how downgrading your plan has anything to do with the selective sync issue?

On 7/8/2016 at 7:23 AM, DTLow said:

Can you explain "probably the most-requested feature"?
The request doesn't seem to have gotten that many votes (in the current time frame)

I can, but I won't.  Seems fairly self-evident to me.  But seeing I didn't conduct an actual survey, I included the word "probably."

On 7/8/2016 at 7:37 AM, GrumpyMonkey said:

it's probably not "most requested." i guess nested notebooks, raising the notebook limit, or functioning bullets in the editor  would be more popular requests. the vote counts are a poor reflection of user interest, in my opinion. selective sync has been a problem since evernote's earliest days, so it is, at the very least, a long-requested feature.

:)  

On 7/8/2016 at 11:25 AM, s2sailor said:

:)!

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, David Reed said:

I can, but I won't.  Seems fairly self-evident to me.

I agree that you don't need to defend your assertion.

However, it apparently is NOT self-evident to Evernote designers.  IMO, it is not only self-evident, it is extremely obvious.  I have no idea why Evernote has not implemented this feature (selective sync).  (Please, no rebuttal from pseudo programmers who have no idea about the real level of difficulty of doing so.)  Even if this is hard to implement, it seems to me that it is just a matter of time before many of us have more notes than will fit of some of our devices.

• Level 5*

The fact of the matter is that DIY selective sync is pretty easy to implement. Get a free Evernote account for the storage-challenged device, and share notebooks to it. It's not that hard.

You all can keep arguing about whether the need for this capability is self-evident or not, but geez, Dorothy, you've always had the power to go back to Kansas -- just close your eyes and tap your heels together three times and think to yourself "There's no place like Evernote."

There's always some way to "work around" a limitation in any application, even if it's something completely outside the box.  If you work at it hard enough and dump enough resources into it, you could launch a man to the moon with a rubberband and a slingshot, but that doesn't make it the best, or even a good, way to do it.  Like @JMichaelTX, I can't understand how this isn't one of, if not THE first "feature" that wasn't added to EN way back when in the late 2000-oughts.  I ran smack into the problem of space on my device in a matter of under two months using it on my mobile device.  I admit that it was because I synced some notebooks for offline use (a mistake on my part), but that brought to light another problem.  There was no way to get that space back without deleting the app and re-installing.  IE, just un-selecting those folders for offline use didn't remove the previously synced for offline use space.  Imagine how puzzling THAT was.

I think it's the best product of its kind out there.  I also think it has, shall we say, many opportunities and avenues for enhancement.

• Level 5*

You know, it's awfully fun to play armchair quarterback for a product you don't make, and you can wait around and kvetch about it and whether it's the most requested or needed feature until maybe Evernote finally come to their senses and see things your way (that's even if they were to deliver selective syncing the way you want it, which is not guaranteed), or you could just go ahead implement the two-account solution and get on with your life. This is not rubberbands and slingshots, or outside the box; it's certainly not hard and requires few extra resources (a new email account?); it just uses notebook sharing, which has been a batteries-included part of Evernote for a long time.

• Level 5*

It's looking like iOS will probably be my "workaround" for the limitation.

I am not terribly keen on the separate account (I've got four or five now?) workaround for the limitation, because my problem is that the Premium account has a 10 GB monthly upload limit, and my computer only has about 40 GB of free space left, so in a few months, I'll have to spend another 1300 to 1400 dollars to get a computer with more space, or cancel the Premium subscription (the lack of selective sync is one reason my record of Premium membership has been so uneven over the last 8 years). Using a very limited Basic account on my most powerful device (my Mac) and my Premium one on the weakest device (my iPad) is unappealing. But, we'll see what happens. The iOS app (with the exception of some rather severe bugs I recently encountered and reported) is a pretty good app that can handle uploads (send PDFs into an app on the iPad and upload from there). The question is whether I can do everything I need to do in Evernote with a combination of the Web and iOS app. Maybe. Maybe. 

Of course, from my perspective, the existence of selective sync on the iPad but not on the Mac is a glaring gap in coverage, and a disappointing lack of parity across devices. I also think encrypted notebooks should have been developed years ago, when everyone else started moving that direction. Evernote's competitors can accomplish these two things (selective sync and encryption), so I think it is about time they get it sorted out over at headquarters. 

But, as mentioned above, we aren't steering this ship, and we have to do the best with what we have. Evernote is a pretty amazing service, and it is worth at least considering workarounds to keep using it.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, GrumpyMonkey said:

It's looking like iOS will probably be my "workaround" for the limitation.

I am not terribly keen on the separate account (I've got four or five now?) workaround for the limitation, because my problem is that the Premium account has a 10 GB monthly upload limit, and my computer only has about 40 GB of free space left, so in a few months, I'll have to spend another 1300 to 1400 dollars to get a computer with more space, or cancel the Premium subscription (the lack of selective sync is one reason my record of Premium membership has been so uneven over the last 8 years). Using a very limited Basic account on my most powerful device (my Mac) and my Premium one on the weakest device (my iPad) is unappealing. But, we'll see what happens. The iOS app (with the exception of some rather severe bugs I recently encountered and reported) is a pretty good app that can handle uploads (send PDFs into an app on the iPad and upload from there). The question is whether I can do everything I need to do in Evernote with a combination of the Web and iOS app. Maybe. Maybe. 

Of course, from my perspective, the existence of selective sync on the iPad but not on the Mac is a glaring gap in coverage, and a disappointing lack of parity across devices. I also think encrypted notebooks should have been developed years ago, when everyone else started moving that direction. Evernote's competitors can accomplish these two things (selective sync and encryption), so I think it is about time they get it sorted out over at headquarters. 

But, as mentioned above, we aren't steering this ship, and we have to do the best with what we have. Evernote is a pretty amazing service, and it is worth at least considering workarounds to keep using it.

From your recent posts on Evernote I get the impression that you are switching your academic work back to Evernote after experimenting with Devonnote and NVALT. Is this correct? It would be interesting to have an updated blog post on this. It seemed to serve you well during your earlier work. 

hi, I have the same demand but for a different purpose. Now evernote allows uploading to 10Gb per month however, my laptop harddisk does not have enough space. Can one set some notebooks to be backup only in the cloud, but not stored in local database? Thanks, adn look forward to such a new function!

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, guot said:

hi, I have the same demand but for a different purpose. Now evernote allows uploading to 10Gb per month however, my laptop harddisk does not have enough space. Can one set some notebooks to be backup only in the cloud, but not stored in local database? Thanks, adn look forward to such a new function!

This functionality does not exist on Windows or Mac clients (it does on Android and iOS). The only known way to do this at this time is to have two Evernote separate accounts, one master account, presumably synced onto a device that has enough storage to store all of your notes, and a second account for your laptop, with which you share only the notebooks from your master account that you need on your laptop.

On the other hand, it's unlikely that you'll be able to actually upload and use 10GB/month in a single account; my understanding is that very large note databases do not perform that well, though that may have changed (but I've not heard any different).

Good luck.   Sadly, over the past few weeks, I've left Evernote and moved over to OneNote.  Thus far, I like it better, and I'm using my Apple Pencil far more for handwritten notes.(and I can selectively sync with some creative OneDrive usage)  Too little, too late.  I wish Evernote had the selective sync and not the price increase.  I likely wouldn't have looked elsewhere. 

What is the status for developing selective sync of notebooks, a feature that was requested already in 2011.

with selective sync I mean: if the evernote client is installed on several platforms or computer, user can select whis notebooks to sync (keep a copy of locally). everything will be store in the cloud. Dropbox and onedrive can do selective sync  very simple.

The evernote client  has in my opinion fast better user interface than the web solutionand I prefer that.

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, haga2000 said:

What is the status for developing selective sync of notebooks, a feature that was requested already in 2011.

with selective sync I mean: if the evernote client is installed on several platforms or computer, user can select whis notebooks to sync (keep a copy of locally). everything will be store in the cloud. Dropbox and onedrive can do selective sync  very simple.

The evernote client  has in my opinion fast better user interface than the web solutionand I prefer that.

Selective sync of notebooks has been implemented for the mobile platforms.
No indication from Evernote as to the windows/mac platforms.

Note: For the windows/mac platforms
           - Currently a complete copy of the data from the cloud is kept on the device
           - Users can specify a notebook as "local", and it's data will not be sync'd to the cloud
           For mobile platforms, users can specify a notebook as "offline" and a copy of it's data is stored on the device

There is a request post at https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/17244-request-selective-sync/?do=findComment&comment=85708
You can indicate your support by going to this post and voting; voting buttons are in the upper left corner

• Level 5*

The status of selective sync that it is not implemented in the Evernote desktop clients.

You can achieve something similar to selective sync if you're willing to use multiple accounts (two should suffice) and notebook sharing: set up a master account that holds all of your notes, and a slave account that you want to use on some device. Share the notebooks you want from the master account with the slave account. Awkward, but it works.

Based on the 150 +  different quotes/and requests on selective sync in this forum I think selective sync should be a priority feature request. 

If you have the  evernote with notebooks A B C and D   and the desktop solution on 2 ore more different machnes,  you should be able to select that on machine 1 you sync with notebook A B and on machine 2  from notebook A B and C and note book D is only in the cloud for instance

this is how OneDrive  and dropbox in practise work.

It would most welcome if someone from EN developer team could comment on this

I have been a premium user since the start of evernote and would be willing to pay for a feature like selective sync as described above and this more than 5 years old thread

• Level 5*

Sure, the use case is pretty well understood. Feature prioritization is aided by requests in the forums, but is not the only input to the process. It would certainly be a welcome feature for many Evernote users, but Evernote folks tend not to comment on future features until they're pretty much ready to go. I can't recall off the top of my head whether there's been comment on it, or not; if I come up with one, I'll post it here..

• Level 5*
7 minutes ago, totalz said:

+5, since I've been waiting for it for 5 yrs...  where's the vote button?

Voting buttons are in the upper left corner of the discussion

Screen Shot 2016-12-29 at 6.50.41 PM.png

Hi,

I had started a thread very long back for selective sync for evernote desktop client but I couldn't find it again here. So I am starting this new thread. I use Evernote for Everything that happens in my life and utilize all its features its been several months I stopped using all other cloud storage providers. The Only BIG PROBLEM I'm facing with evernote is the lack of Selective-Sync for Evernote Desktop client for Windows OS. I think there was a thread for mac as well

I am not sure if anyone started for Windows OS. We also have same problem and I don't want all my stuff downloaded to computer eating all my storage. I'd like bring this one more time. I've STOPPED using evernote desktop for this only reason.

Please make this high priority before this issue impacts all users of evernote.

Hi All other evernote users please vote up on this topic if you are facing same problem so Evernote can prioritize a fix for this.

Thanks,

Sudhir.

• Level 5*

Searching the forum for "selective sync" turns up a number of feature requests, including Windows client specific requests. Why not add your vote where appropriate rather than creating brand new feature requests for the same thing?

• Level 5*
7 minutes ago, sudhir.personal said:

HI I couldn't find any featurerequests for specifically windows client. All I could see is for Mac OS. Can you share link here so I can vote there.?

Not clear why you want to make this request specific to Windows - you're posting in the General forum

You can add your vote here

I've growing addiction to evernote for it's ability to increase my productivity and so far I could only see one thing that's missing which is Selective - Sync... only because of this reason I had to use webclient time to time. which is annoying to my productivity and performance along with it my hard disk free space. I'm a windows 10 user for evernote and I need this feature as early as possible. 

Thanks,

Sudhir.

• Level 5*
On 1/2/2017 at 1:08 PM, sudhir.personal said:

I've growing addiction to evernote for it's ability to increase my productivity and so far I could only see one thing that's missing which is Selective - Sync... only because of this reason I had to use webclient time to time. which is annoying to my productivity and performance along with it my hard disk free space. I'm a windows 10 user for evernote and I need this feature as early as possible. 

If you absolutely need this, then the best way around it is to have a second account on your space-limited machine, and share notebooks from your full account to the other account. It's not a perfect solution, but it does have the effect of giving you control over which notebooks appear on that machine.

The Demand Sync is new in the latest Windows beta, I don't have any feel as to how well that works, but it might be worth a try.

16 hours ago, DTLow said:

Not selective sync, but the latest release offers "Demand Sync"

It must be notebook settings, not account.

Some of my notebooks I want to have all offline, and some of them "on demand sync".

It works in iOS/Android where we have "offline notebook" feature, but on the desktop we don't have it.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, andrey.demidov said:

It must be notebook settings, not account.

Some of my notebooks I want to have all offline

My need for offline acess is actually at the Note level

Currently; I have to create a offline notebook and move the notes (IOS offline feature)

Actually a Tag would work best.  I could just flag the notes I need offline access

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, Santanu said:

When will selective synching of notebooks be available for Mac and Windows versions? 

The current version of Windows is part way there with On Demand Sync.  With this function the note is downloaded only when you need it.  I don't think storage is being released currently if a note hasn't been accessed in a while.  That may be the next step.  But you can free up disk space on Windows if you need it using this.  FWIW.

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, Santanu said:

When will selective synching of notebooks be available for Mac and Windows versions? 

Don't expect time-frame estimates from the Evernote folks; they rarely give them out.. As @csihilling says, they've taken a step forward in the Windows client with on-demand syncing. You can learn more about what that entails in this topic (in particular look for kvitekp's comments): 

10 hours ago, Santanu said:

Look how old this thread is + response from Evernote: Never.

• Level 5*
37 minutes ago, jHi said:

Look how old this thread is + response from Evernote: Never.

Sure about that? Did you read this post and the one that follows in the previously linked topic? 

4 hours ago, jefito said:

Sure about that? Did you read this post and the one that follows in the previously linked topic? 

Just looked at it. More "some day" talk since 2011 - yes, I am still 100% completely sure.

Anyway, I deleted my Mac OS X evernote app in 2012, missing out on Evernote filling up my harddrive and crashing frequently so re-sync was needed again and again.

Instead I have been scanning to a local folder and dragging the scans manually onto the web app for 5 years now. Feeling irritated then grateful for actually having that opportunity.

Luckily, paper is a dying animal in my country, so today I mostly open docs on iPhone/iPad and just export directly to Evernote there. I also scan 1-2 page docs directly to Evernote with my iPhone, but multipage double sided paper docs are too tedious for that.

I feel lucky I do not desperately need selective sync for work, and have not been forced to use the App all those years ... for professionals selective sync is such a glaring omission from an otherwise great concept, that it obviously made the iOS App immediately.

I remind myself that, in the end it is Evernotes stuff, so they are free to do what they feel like they need to do for them selves, to feel they have a fun day at work year after year.

• Level 5*
On 4/27/2017 at 6:20 PM, jHi said:

Just looked at it. More "some day" talk since 2011 - yes, I am still 100% completely sure.

Funny, the feature exists in the Evernote Windows client version 6.5 as of 3/21/17, as this indicates. This is not just "some day" talk, though it's also not exactly the same as the 'selective sync notebooks' concept.  That has been an option for the mobile clients (Android and iOS for years, as you know, because of obvious memory limitations on those devices. I don't follow the Mac product, you're on your own there. But hey, you're not an Evernote user any more, so ???

though it's also not exactly the same as the 'selective sync notebooks' concept.

My comments where exactly regarding the "selective sync notebooks" concept.

That has been an option for the mobile clients (Android and iOS for years, as you know, because of obvious memory limitations on those devices.

As seen in this thread, many people including myself have obvious memory limitations on the desktop/laptop. The existence of "on demand sync" recognises this, and seems helpful.

But hey, you're not an Evernote user any more, so ???

Not a user of the Evernote desktop app.

I scan and drag to the web app, and use the iOS apps and the web app to look up - excellent for what they are intended to do.

• Level 5*
On 2017-08-20 at 11:05 AM, psimekjr said:

I wonder if this feature is still considered to be implemented. Can anyone from Evernote answer this?

No word from Evernote.  Demand Sync was implemented on the Windows platform/device, and we have this post from an Evernote employee indicating that Selective Sync is being investigated

• Level 5*
16 hours ago, DTLow said:

an Evernote employee

Note that Peter K has moved on from Evernote, which may or may not have any bearing on the selective sync feature's likelihood of implementation.

Yes, selective sync would be the one feature that would ensure my continued use of Evernote. Being a historian-in-training, I just spent a month in the archives, scanning hundreds of documents with the Evernote app using my iPhone camera. Because there is no way to un-sync them from my iPhone after syncing them to my laptop, I hardly have any space left and had to delete seven apps already to be able to proceed with my research.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, Delamontaigne said:

Because there is no way to un-sync them from my iPhone after syncing them to my laptop, I hardly have any space left and had to delete seven apps already to be able to proceed with my research.

Selective sync is already an iPhone option
Actually be default, note data is not stored on the mobile devices.  We have to enable notebooks for Offline download
If your notebook is not Offline enabled, the data will be dropped and retrieved from the internet when needed

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, Delamontaigne said:

Yes, selective sync would be the one feature that would ensure my continued use of Evernote. Being a historian-in-training, I just spent a month in the archives, scanning hundreds of documents with the Evernote app using my iPhone camera. Because there is no way to un-sync them from my iPhone after syncing them to my laptop, I hardly have any space left and had to delete seven apps already to be able to proceed with my research.

Hmmm, it is not supposed to work that way.  The IOS device by default on demand sync unless you have checked any notebooks as offline.  Any chance the notes are in an offline notebook?  Also, any chance anything go added to the camera roll?

Recently accessed notes are kept on the device but after some storage point or time is reached (not disclosed by EN as far as I know) the storage is released.  Workaround for this is to delete EN from your phone and then add it back.  Probably easier than deleting a bunch of apps.

EDIT:  Just remembered reading another post, there is a Clear Cache option on the Account - Support screen in the IOS device.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, truinx said:

Welcome to 2018. ...  Evernote is on version 7.  ...    What's up?

It's 9:00 am here and the sun is up

Did you have a specific question/comment about Evernote.

• Like 1
On 4/25/2011 at 5:25 PM, csbrown said:

I am a paid user and have many Notebooks. I have notebooks that relate to my hobbies as well as my career. On laptops that I bring to work, I only want my business-related notebooks to replicate. After installing Evernote on a new computer, is there a way to tell it what notebooks I would want on that computer?

Thanks!

+1 for Selective Sync

I have loooooooooooooots of notes. About 30GB of notes (I'm an old user...). Syncing is a pain... I almost give up Evernote, and that was one of the biggest reasons.

Local Notebooks are not a solution. 

• Level 5*
12 minutes ago, fjgirante said:

Syncing is a pain

Why is syncing a pain?  
For me, it's a background operation and I don't really notice it.

15 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Why is syncing a pain?  
For me, it's a background operation and I don't really notice it.

I believe they meant it is a pain because it is taking so much space on their hard drive, not the actual syncing procedure that takes just a few seconds. 

Sync is also a pain if you need to setup a laptop for travel which is not commonly used, or have to reinstall - I've had a Surface which required a reinstall two days before a trip.

Fortunately, the Windows version allows for on-demand download but that's still not a substitute for proper selective sync on desktop.

• Level 5*
19 hours ago, psimekjr said:

I believe they meant it is a pain because it is taking so much space on their hard drive, not the actual syncing procedure that takes just a few seconds. 

6 minutes ago, AndyDent said:

Sync is also a pain if you need to setup a laptop for travel which is not commonly used, or have to reinstall - I've had a Surface which required a reinstall two days before a trip.

The pain here is with the offline download of data; not the sync process.

• Level 5*
59 minutes ago, CalS said:

The difference being?   ?  Just syncing more stuff.

Syncing is low volume and should be transparent and painless; I know there are bugs on some  platforms

The offline dowload is high volume
- there is pain from the disk space requirement
- there is pain from the initial download; about a week on my iPad (IOS)

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Syncing is low volume and should be transparent and painless; I know there are bugs on some  platforms

@AndyDent  is referencing a laptop and rebuilds, probably not using on demand sync..  Not much to do with offline notebooks.  I just think it's too fine a hair and misleading to say sync is only meta data and not the whole kit and caboodle.  On my PC sync is the whole enchilada, on my phone its just the tortilla, but they are both syncs.

• Level 5*
52 minutes ago, CalS said:

I just think it's too fine a hair and misleading to say sync is only meta data and not the whole kit and caboodle. 

No argument; Syncing involves metadata and potentially note content.
The initial offline download also involves metadata and potentially note content.

Still, Syncing tends to be low volume, only notes changed now and then.
The initial offline download is high volume, our entire note set.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, DTLow said:

No argument; Syncing involves metadata and potentially note content.
The initial offline download also involves metadata and potentially note content.

Still, Syncing tends to be low volume, only notes changed now and then.
The initial offline download is high volume, our entire note set.

Agreed. 

On 8/29/2018 at 12:28 PM, AndyDent said:

Fortunately, the Windows version allows for on-demand download but that's still not a substitute for proper selective sync on desktop.

I have to get my travel laptop ready for a trip and have a question. On demand sync is set up on the laptop. I want to sync my Travel notebook and all its contents. I can find no way to do that, other than manually selecting each single note within that notebook one at a time. It's going to take forever. Isn't there a way to download the entire notebook? (by download I just mean sync)

• Level 5*
13 minutes ago, lisec said:

I have to get my travel laptop ready for a trip and have a question. On demand sync is set up on the laptop. I want to sync my Travel notebook and all its contents. I can find no way to do that, other than manually selecting each single note within that notebook one at a time. It's going to take forever. Isn't there a way to download the entire notebook? (by download I just mean sync)

Don't know if either would work since I don't use selective sync. but three thoughts:

1. Add a tag to all the notes and see if sync pulls the note content down.
  2. Export the notes to ENEX and see if that causes a sync.
  3. Select all the notes and print to PDF to see if that causes a sync.

If you attempt or have already attempted any of these I would be interested in the results.  

35 minutes ago, CalS said:

Don't know if either would work since I don't use selective sync. but three thoughts:

1. Add a tag to all the notes and see if sync pulls the note content down.
  2. Export the notes to ENEX and see if that causes a sync.
  3. Select all the notes and print to PDF to see if that causes a sync.

If you attempt or have already attempted any of these I would be interested in the results.  

Nice call. However, none of the options worked. The tags were applied though, and the pdf did print, but all the of unsynced notes had just headers and no content.  

To be fair, though, I have 6.8.6 on that mini-laptop. I'm afraid of upgrading on that machine because I know this version works on it, but I suppose I should. Not sure it would be faster than selecting each note though!

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, lisec said:

However, none of the options worked.

1). Turn off on demand sync, sync, turn it back on after??  

2)  Move the notes  to a local notebook, I would hope this forces a sync, serious design flaw if not.   Export then import to local notebook on the travel laptop   Reverse when back  

In either case a PITA, but should work (disc space not being an issue in the first case).

EDIT: be sure and use copies of notes to test.  

Edited by CalS
  • Level 5*
22 minutes ago, CalS said:

2)  Move the notes  to a local notebook, I would hope this forces a sync

Perhaps copy the notes instead of moving them.  Delete the local notebook when no longer needed.
Even if this doesn't force a sync, you have a local copy of the notes and you're good to go.