Selective Notebook Sync

csbrown

Idea

• Level 5*
29 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Perhaps copy the notes instead of moving them.  Delete the local notebook when no longer needed.
Even if this doesn't force a sync, you have a local copy of the notes and you're good to go.

Can’t sync a local notebook to the travel laptop.  And not clear what happens to the notes if moved to local.  I guess one could just copy to local on the travel laptop and see what happens.  Still not clear what happens to note detail.  

I was going to export the notebook from my main laptop and import it on my travel laptop. I figured that HAS to work. BUT.... I'm not sure the notes themselves would remain in sync if I made a change to a note. I'll try it when I get a chance. For now I've been clicking on each note. Damned pain in the butt. 

I'm sure it's a bug. I thought I read that when you select a notebook or do a search, all the results, ie the notes in the list view, get downloaded. I suppose it makes sense to only download what you click on, but they really should implement a "sync entire notebook" feature for those using sync on demand.

• Level 5*
56 minutes ago, lisec said:

BUT.... I'm not sure the notes themselves would remain in sync if I made a change to a note.

No, the note export/import creates brand new notes; also moving to/from local notebooks

>>I was going to export the notebook from my main laptop and import it on my travel laptop.

Just wondering why you can't do this export on the travel laptop.  I know you have on-demand set up, but you should still have access to your notes.

12 minutes ago, DTLow said:

No, the note export/import creates brand new notes; also moving to/from local notebooks

>>I was going to export the notebook from my main laptop and import it on my travel laptop.

Just wondering why you can't do this export on the travel laptop.  I know you have on-demand set up, but you should still have access to your notes.

Basically because if the import creates "new" notes, then updating one of those notes on my main laptop before I leave will not update it on the travel laptop and I certainly wouldn't want that.  

• Level 5*
59 minutes ago, lisec said:

Basically because if the import creates "new" notes, then updating one of those notes on my main laptop before I leave will not update it on the travel laptop and I certainly wouldn't want that.  

I think my point is being missed.
Just before leaving, use the travel laptop and copy the notes to a  local notebook. The notes will be available when offline.

Of course, the best solution is getting your on-demand notebooks to download 

48 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Just before leaving, use the travel laptop and copy the notes to a  local notebook. The notes will be available when offline.

Of course, the best solution is getting your on-demand notebooks to download 

Gotcha.  Yeah, that's what I was thinking, but I really don't want to leave that to the last minute.  I'll just keep hitting the down button on my list until everything is downloaded (and hope I don't forget anything).

• Level 5*
17 hours ago, lisec said:

I was going to export the notebook from my main laptop and import it on my travel laptop. I figured that HAS to work. BUT.... I'm not sure the notes themselves would remain in sync if I made a change to a note. I'll try it when I get a chance. For now I've been clicking on each note. Damned pain in the butt.

If you have space on your travel laptop just turn off ODS.  Same issue arises with the export if the actual note content doesn't make it to the export.  I would test that with a couple of copied notes first.  If export does include all of the note content, then you could export, delete from main computer, and then import to the travel laptop.  The notes would then sync to the main laptop and all would be to the same.  Key is whether detail is included in the export of an ODS note not referenced in a while.  

+1 There are hundreds of votes for this across multiple overlapping feature requests! Given the issues surround file architecture on Mac that prevent us from having the same option as Windows users to define a different EN DB location, Selective Sync seems to be the only viable option...

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, aswilson said:

Edit: Just noticed my Subscription:BASIC badge... do you know why?

This identifies the account subscription tier; Basic, Plus, Premium

On 3/4/2015 at 7:06 AM, soundsgoodtome said:

If Dropbox can do it, Evernote can.

It also seems you're failing to understand that selective sync will result in less data being pushed, not more.

I look forward to hearing Evernote's thoughts on this, rather than users' speculation on what Evernote can and cannot do.

If Google drive can why not evernote. Selective sync is a must to keep our PC space free for fruitful use. 

Another vote for this feature. Should be able to turn sync on and off on a per-notebook basis so that devices with limited capabilities or roles do not need to have an account's entire note database stored locally.

Example: Want to have one notebook on a client-furnished computer, must not update notebooks related to other clients. Forcing sync of everything would violate all sorts of contractual agreements.

Example: Don't have enough storage on a small tablet/laptop/phone. Self-explanatory. It's great to be able to compose and edit a few notes on a phone, but it's preposterous to pay a many-gigabyte price for doing so.

Example: Don't want to place personal notebooks on a business computer. Requiring this forces people to break company policies, potentially break laws/regulations, etc.

Example: Don't want to have "archived" (i.e., obsolete and no longer used, but kept for record-keeping purposes) notebooks show up on every new device. Big reason we have the cloud, y'know, is so we don't have to to keep copies of everything everywhere.

The suggestion of using separate accounts leads to a proliferation of accounts and authentication data, which is never a good thing. It is also an abuse of Evernote's free accounts, and an unacceptable cost if non-free accounts are required. And, of course, there is the ever-present risk that Eevrnote will change the terms of those free accounts.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, osibert said:

Another vote for this feature. Should be able to turn sync on and off on a per-notebook basis so that devices with limited capabilities or roles do not need to have an account's entire note database stored locally.

This exists for mobile (Android and iOS) as a premium feature, but not for desktop (Windows, Mac); Windows has a different solution, which is "On demand sync", which is not on a notebook basis. I don't know about the Mac. For web access, it doesn't matter.

Example: Don't want to place personal notebooks on a business computer. Requiring this forces people to break company policies, potentially break laws/regulations, etc.

So get a business account, separate from your personal account. You can share notebooks between accounts, if you need access to notes in the other account. I do this.

The suggestion of using separate accounts leads to a proliferation of accounts and authentication data, which is never a good thing. It is also an abuse of Evernote's free accounts, and an unacceptable cost if non-free accounts are required. And, of course, there is the ever-present risk that Eevrnote will change the terms of those free accounts.

I have two accounts, work (free) and personal (paid). Several shared notebooks. Not a problem for me, though now it's easier when I work at home, because I can have my whole work account open in a separate Evernote instance (another premium feature). I have no idea what you mean by "an abuse of Evernote free accounts". What's the abuse? 

+1

It would be great if one can decide how much cache Evernote is allowed to use. Or which Notebook should be only in the cloud and not as a copy with all the files on the computer.

Use case: Notebook PDF archive - where I want to put larger documents from projects but I do not need them in the Evernote folder in Windows anymore. Great to see them but it would be cooler if those files are not on my computer. I have just a small SSD.

Or / and in addition a variable cache one can define between for example 100 MB and X GB. So Evernote just temporally saves only those files one is relatively often working with.

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, BeEfficient said:

Or which Notebook should be only in the cloud and not as a copy with all the files on the computer.

The IOS/Android platforms support notebook selection for offline sync

With the v10 product, the Mac/Windows platforms support all or none for offline sync

>>I have just a small SSD

You can disable offline storage in Evernote>Preferences

• Level 5

There is the assumption (maybe wrong, looking at the storage sizes available on phones) that a full computer has much more disk space than a phone.

So on desktop it is offline data on or off, on mobile it lets you decide which notebooks are  relevant.

@PinkElephant

The point is that I clean up my computer form old projects and files, once I am done. So moving it to Evernote... However... I know that my laptop is stil "full of those old" files. Even if I delete them. Because I moved them to Evernote, it is still somehow on my computer and again, no free space was created on my computer.

I mean so many people would appreciate that and the fact that you have it on the apps already show, that the solutions exists and is implemented. But not for Windows / Mac so far.

I hope this will come soon. People are waiting for a solution that exists actually now for years 😞      

• Level 5

We will see if they implement this „offline selection by notebook“ for the desktop one day.

We have another request that would match this one: The possibility to define „archived“ notebooks, to keep data out of being searched any longer. It should be searchable, but only if the search is pointed to it.

If I take these 2 options together we want „archived cloud-only notebooks“. This would solve both issues in one feature.

• Like 1

if those 2 can be merged in 1 or should be seen as separated, i don't know.

what i simply know is that i want start my new projects with my employees with an absolutely fresh mind and setting on my laptop. for this... i simply don't want those old files on my laptop anymore.

it is our feeling of relief here at mckinsey 🙂

• Level 5

Whatever - if you have a Teams account, it would be very simple:

Just move the notebooks into an area where access for the team members is excluded by taking them out of the regular Spaces. Then they are removed for all but those who get access to an „archive space“.

Beside this I was not aware that this poor company can’t buy their staff laptops with sufficient drive sizes 😉

Looking at it from a compliance perspective, I doubt that McK allows their employees to hold project data (be it internal or clients projects) on personal cloud services. This case should not exist, if standard rules are followed.

At least when I had Mackies hired for a project at our company, they were not allowed to use anything but McK equipment and McK storage for anything.

we all get only 512GB SSD which are always full.

the pholosophy is to be focused what is really needed.

the same is true for very very limited space on outlook exchange. the more you need, the very much more you boss has to pay for every GB. again, just in order to be stay extremly focused every day and do what matters.

I use my EN with my colleauges because we have our own businesses running simulteanously.

wheter EN or our own servers... the philosophy does not change: relief from old issues and starton a blank page. this includes to say bye bye to the old files, somehow :-).

i am currently working by the way, casual 15 hours saturday.

• Level 5

If it is just to keep projects somehow documented, without a need to access them, you could do this:

Put all notes into one notebook 

Export the notebook as ENEX, give it a good file name, store it in a safe place (backup !).

Delete the notebook from EN

In case you need to access it, you go to reimport the ENEX file of the corresponding project.

• Evernote Expert
On 8/28/2021 at 8:39 PM, PinkElephant said:

If it is just to keep projects somehow documented, without a need to access them, you could do this:

Put all notes into one notebook 

Export the notebook as ENEX, give it a good file name, store it in a safe place (backup !).

Delete the notebook from EN

In case you need to access it, you go to reimport the ENEX file of the corresponding project.

Don't forget to empty the Evernote Trash otherwise the unwanted notes will still be in your account... ;)

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert
2 hours ago, totalz said:

Are we still waiting?

For many things. What do you have in mind?

This thread was started for the old software. There has never been any indication that this is planned or something to wait for.

Please consider and implement selective notebook syncing to a device, this is a valuable feature. 

Previously as a work-around, I simply created a second free account and shared only what I wanted from my paid account to that one.  Your recent notebook/page limit for free accounts has made this experience quite annoying, as you keep popping up ads to buy Evernote (which I own, however cannot use to meet my needs do to your lack of skill in coding and priority setting).

If not remedied soon, I'll have to find a new product for my notes.