• 3
Chantal Leonard

Evernote for Windows 6.5 GA Released

Idea

Today we're releasing version 6.5 GA - you cadownload it here. This release finalizes our work on on-demand sync and includes some bug fixes where content was not always visible or searchable when not yet downloaded. A huge thanks to the Beta community who helped us uncover some important edge cases in the behavior of that feature. 

Below are the finalized release notes and screenshots of our major feature improvements. 

Thanks,

Chantal and the rest of the Windows team! 

--------------------

Evernote for Windows 6.5 Release Notes

New:
Spend less time searching–view all your shared notes and notebooks from the Shared section in the sidebar.

Speed up the syncing process–limit sync to recently changed and frequently used notes. To turn it on, go to Tools > Options > Synchronization and select "Enable on demand sync."

Improved:

Handling of large notes including those with big images or attachments on 32-bit systems.

Fixed:        

An intermittent error syncing when connecting to a business account for the first time.
Issues with the printing of notes with tables.

----------------------------------

Screenshots

  • Shared view: can now quickly browse all notes you've received via Work Chat from the "Shared" section in the left panel.589d4a00972ff_SharedSection.png.0326cae9cbc6ce23c6983200461d705a.png

 

  • On demand sync: an option if you want note content to be downloaded only when you see the note in the note list. This is ideal for users with many thousands of notes who want to save some disk space. You can enable this by checking the "Enable on demand sync" option under Tools>Options>Synchronization. If you do not check this option, Evernote will download all the notes content in advance. 589d4d2bcc5b0_Enableondemandsync.PNG.d329587bb082f8d9a5af380a54e31bdb.PNG

 

 

 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post

88 replies to this idea

Hmmn.  It's an idea for people to check their preferences after updating - my 'on demand sync' was selected in beta before the update,  but the new install left that box unticked.  I had also previously terminated with extreme prejudice the 'automatic formatting' options but the new install showed them selected again...  I put my choices back to where I wanted them.

Edit:  Sorry - should have said.  The on demand sync (hereinafter referred to as ODS) has so far proved to be awesome on my not-very-smart backup laptop.  Much faster operation and minimal disk footprint.  Great innovation guys! (and non-guys) :)

Share this post


Link to post

The bug which was introduced a couple of betas ago which prevents the note window from scrolling when content goes beyond the bottom is still present.

Much as I'm sure this new release is awesome, it would be great if there was at least one release in which EN just fixed a few bugs rather than introducing new features and the inevitable slew of new bugs to go with them.

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post

Looking forward to some new beta releases!

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post

I reported a pretty annoying bug (to me anyway) in the last two betas here and here, it has to do with saving file attachments where existing files are blindly overwritten. Prior versions of EN would ask to overwrite first. Asking is pretty standard behavior. Maybe three times is charm to get it fixed. Can't be much of an effort to fix it.

Also, will you please have the courtesy to not spam plus users with ads to upgrade to EN Premium (such as document search). If I wanted/needed premium I would certainly purchase it. 

Share this post


Link to post

I've shared a note, but can't see a "Shared" section in the left panel. Why? (EN Windows 6.5.4.4720 304720 Public)

Share this post


Link to post
24 minutes ago, akrde said:

I've shared a note, but can't see a "Shared" section in the left panel. Why? (EN Windows 6.5.4.4720 304720 Public)

Have you synced/ restarted the app since sharing?

Share this post


Link to post

 

11 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Have you synced/ restarted the app since sharing?

Yes, both.

Share this post


Link to post

Another question: I'm adding notes mostly on my Windows PC, very rarely on my Android device. Is the new "on demand sync" useful anyway on my Windows PC?

Share this post


Link to post

If you add notes on the PC they'll stay on this PC (as well as being synced to the cloud and to Android),  so no advantage that I can see.  If you ever install Evernote on another computer however you can avoid a long database download if that one is set to ODS.

Share this post


Link to post

@akrde

2 hours ago, akrde said:

I've shared a note, but can't see a "Shared" section in the left panel. Why? (EN Windows 6.5.4.4720 304720 Public)

How specifically did you share it - via Work Chat, or email, or ??

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, phils said:

@akrde

How specifically did you share it - via Work Chat, or email, or ??

Via "Copy Share URL".

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, akrde said:

Via "Copy Share URL".

Ah, OK.  You're not actually sharing the note with another Evernote user; you're just putting a URL to the note in your clipboard which URL allows anyone to view that note in their web browser.

The "Shared" section in the left panel is for notes shared via Work Chat with another Evernote user (and in the case of a personal non-business account, also for notebooks that have been shared with you or that you have shared with other users).

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, phils said:

Ah, OK.  You're not actually sharing the note with another Evernote user; you're just putting a URL to the note in your clipboard which URL allows anyone to view that note in their web browser.

The "Shared" section in the left panel is for notes shared via Work Chat with another Evernote user (and in the case of a personal non-business account, also for notebooks that have been shared with you or that you have shared with other users).

Would be more useful, if it would show every shared note. Back to saved search until then. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/22/2017 at 9:45 AM, Liam Gretton said:

The bug which was introduced a couple of betas ago which prevents the note window from scrolling when content goes beyond the bottom is still present.

Much as I'm sure this new release is awesome, it would be great if there was at least one release in which EN just fixed a few bugs rather than introducing new features and the inevitable slew of new bugs to go with them.

Window scrolling works fine for me, can you please describe your scrolling problem in more detail?

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, eric99 said:

Window scrolling works fine for me, can you please describe your scrolling problem in more detail?

Add some content to the end of a note, whether by pasting or just typing (a few carriage returns will do). The cursor and content will disappear past the bottom of the note window rather than have the window automatically keep scrolling to show the last line.

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
18 minutes ago, Liam Gretton said:

Add some content to the end of a note, whether by pasting or just typing (a few carriage returns will do). The cursor and content will disappear past the bottom of the note window rather than have the window automatically keep scrolling to show the last line.

Indeed, I have the same problem. Hopefully, we get an update soon...

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post

Posted (edited)

Having problems with the latest version: I load the tag selection with CTRL-ALT-T, and Evernote hangs. The only way to get out of it is to do CTRL-ALT-Del. I checked the log and found this:

12:39:18 [9348] Sync rate configuration changed:
12:39:18 [9348] * syncStateIntervalMillis=900000
12:39:18 [9348] * updateNoteWhenIdleForMillis=30000
12:39:18 [9348] * updateNoteDuringEditIntervalMillis=60000

What is up with that - did someone add an extra couple (or more) zeros for testing purposes and forget to remove them? Is this peculiar to my installation? Or am I misreading what the above details refer to? Syncing is also taking a long time. Syncing, exiting using the menu (file/exit) didn't help.

The same thing happened when I tried to use the menu to access the tag list dialog. 6.5.4.4720 (304720) Public.

I use this way of tagging notes a lot, and some of them may include a lot of tags, which makes the alternative methods a PITA.

Note added: I turned off instant sync in the options, and the expected activity for CTRL-ALT-T is restored.

Edited by FactMan
Add note about instant sync.

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, FactMan said:

Having problems with the latest version: I load the tag selection with CTRL-ALT-T, and Evernote hangs. The only way to get out of it is to do CTRL-ALT-Del. I checked the log and found this:

Hi.  Same version,  but not the same problem.  Reinstall?

Share this post


Link to post

Posted (edited)

On 22.03.2017 at 3:06 AM, Chantal Leonard said:

Handling of large notes including those with big images or attachments on 32-bit systems.E

 

Thanks fot this! Every day I use Linux as my operating system. However, due to some features that are not available in web or android version I have an old laptop with evernote installed. I noticed improvements in handling large notes and speed in performance - immediately after installation.

New feature request in In future releases - quick link

Sometimes I use NixNote2 client. From there, I would like you to hook up the function of quick link. It is very helpful, useful, fast and handy.

 "quick link".  If you highlight text in a note and choose the quicklink option it will search for a note with the selected words in the title.  If a match is found it will create a link to that note.  If multiple notes are found it will bring up a dialog box to choose the correct one. Look at the screenshot below.

 

quick_link_feature.png

Edited by kepilif
I attached the wrong attachment

Share this post


Link to post

I haven't changed my preferences since upgrading, but now find my notes are being synchronized automatically; has anyone else noticed this?

2017-03-28 18_08_47.png

Share this post


Link to post

I'm not sure whether this is a bug that has crept in with this release, but while I am typing in the body of a note the focus suddenly jumps to the title and I find myself suddenly typing there instead of where I was.  I think this occurs when an automatic sync takes place—with instant sync switched on it is quite disruptive.

Apologies if this has already been observed by others...

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, Enertse said:

I haven't changed my preferences since upgrading, but now find my notes are being synchronized automatically; has anyone else noticed this?

2017-03-28 18_08_47.png

I'm having the same problem with same settings. Just thinking about reinstall to see if it helped.

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, connies123 said:

I'm having the same problem with same settings. Just thinking about reinstall to see if it helped.

I think this is a 'feature' of the update.  Various settings were reset by the new version.  Just change them back and continue using it - it's annoying,  but no big deal...

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, gazumped said:

I think this is a 'feature' of the update.  Various settings were reset by the new version.  Just change them back and continue using it - it's annoying,  but no big deal...

None of my settings were changed, so there is nothing to change back. They are the same as Enertse showed. But still syncs automatically.

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, gazumped said:

I think this is a 'feature' of the update.  Various settings were reset by the new version.  Just change them back and continue using it - it's annoying,  but no big deal...

The problem is that there is nothing to change back to: the same settings that behaved one way before the upgrade now behave differently after.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now