[Feature Request] Strikethrough on formatting toolbar

spence_johnson

Idea

66 replies to this idea

Hi Spence and welcome to the forums,

Didn't realise it was not there on the Mac, very annoying. Got it on my Windows computer and use it all the time, would certainly be lost if I had to be without it.

Regards

Chris

On the Windows version of Evernote, the strikethrough text button is on the toolbar. On the Mac, for whatever reason, this is hidden and only accessible through menus. This is really annoying. I use this option all the time, and would prefer this in the toolbar. Ideally the text editing toolbar would be the same and/or customizable.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

On the Windows version of Evernote, the strikethrough text button is on the toolbar. On the Mac, for whatever reason, this is hidden and only accessible through menus. This is really annoying. I use this option all the time, and would prefer this in the toolbar. Ideally the text editing toolbar would be the same and/or customizable.

Hi. Welcome to the forums. Try cmd + ctrl + k. I'm not sure why it is hidden either. I think the shortcut is preferable to the menu, so at least we have that :)

• Like 1

Hey Nics, I agree. So maybe you should try OneNote. We've pretty much moved there, better organization, great structure with section groups, sections, tabs, notebooks, and pages, plus all the normal formatting features. Only thing missing in OneNote is reminders. I did love Evernote and was an evangelist for many years, but just had to give up. I'm not a big fan of "tags" and in EN you must live tags.

Well each to his own but I'm a convert to OneNote now and quite happy. Ubiquitous, Android, IOS, OSX, Browser, and free... can't really go wrong!

Sorry Evernote :-/

Yes please.  I've made a Keyboard Maestro keyboard shortcut for this but it is a massive ommission.

I'm hopeful they are looking at the whole rich text editor on the Mac as it sucks.  As well as the no strikethrough. What about more highlight color options, just yellow is not enough.  Also more font options, sizes between 14 and 18.

• Level 5*
9 minutes ago, taguntumi said:

Yes please.  ...I'm hopeful they are looking at the whole rich text editor on the Mac as it sucks.  As well as the no strikethrough. What about more highlight color options, just yellow is not enough.  Also more font options, sizes between 14 and 18.

There is a priority for requests being implemented.  
You can influence this by upvoting the request (upper left corner).
The vote for this request is currently ....Screen Shot 2016-05-13 at 11.28.52 AM.png

Evernote is awesome! Use it all the time for collecting research, notes, organization, the world, etc.

I find myself creating to-do lists for the week all the time and personally love the strikethrough feature.

But, to strikethrough text I have to highlight, right-click, hover, and select strikethrough.

Why not, highlight and click the strikethrough?

Or even better, highlight and cmd + k or some other shortcut to strikethrough.

Strikethrough vs. checkbox is the new tabs vs. spaces; strikethrough is very visible and less prone to error; checkboxes can be unchecked with a single click and not as visible.

- a grateful 'spaces' fan

feature request sent

ps - this textbox has strikethrough!

• Like 1

I have a number of notes that I use as to-do lists and I like to strikethrough them as I complete them.   For some reason on the Mac version, the Format->Style->Strikethrough will not be active.  Nor does the shortcut do anything.

On the Windows version I can highlight the same text and strikethrough it just fine.

Any one else see anything similar or have any ideas on how to fix?

• Level 5*
14 hours ago, DHS said:

I have a number of notes that I use as to-do lists and I like to strikethrough them as I complete them.   For some reason on the Mac version, the Format->Style->Strikethrough will not be active.  Nor does the shortcut do anything.

Strikethrough works for me

Here are some self-help troubleshooting solutions

1. Upgrade to the latest version
  2. Reboot your device
  3. Deleted the app and database; Reinstall the app and let the database be rebuilt from the servers
    Warning: the rebuild does not include local notebooks or unsynced notes

You can contact Evernote support at      Contact Evernote Support 

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, JErnestGo said:

I hope it can do strikethrough, and turning the font to grey color when the check boxes are ticked

Strikethrough is still working for me

A checkbox only has two settings  checked and unchecked
- no other features like grey colour

• Level 5*
22 minutes ago, pgdahl said:

It has been made abundantly clear that Evernote is not going to implement this. 

I've not seen any indication either way.

My solution is to highlight text and use the keyboard shortcut
The official shortcut is control-command-K but I changed this to something easier to remember

On 1/10/2016 at 6:02 PM, kodymcdonald said:

on the Mac version the fastest way requires you to click through some menus

but actually it's

On 1/11/2016 at 4:16 PM, Metrodon said:

ctrl+cmd+k

I'm very addicted to using the touchpad as much as possible. I don't like clicking through menus, but that's what I've done for a very long time. But I've finally realized that I must start using keyboard shortcuts more. Here's a link to the Evernote shortcuts that I now refer to: EN Mac keyboard shortcuts.

11 minutes ago, trenchantly said:

It's ridiculous that there are so many fundamental design differences on Mac and Windows. And, ironic that it's an option on this web editor but not the Mac App. Do Windows users need to strikethough more than Mac users?

This was posted in other thread regarding a similar feature never added, Find and Replace. Maybe some resolution to these issues is on the horizon.

• Level 5*
16 hours ago, Andrew Orobator said:

On the Android client it is possible to format text as strikethrough, a line is through the text. But on the Mac client it is not possible. I would like to have the option to format text as strikethrough on the mac client.

Format > Style > Strikethrough

or use the keyboard shortcut58b1bae935e0b_ScreenShot2017-02-25at9_11_26AM.png.44c8927a75e044be6caeb8358261b10e.png

Hi -

I have what I think should be a relatively simple feature request, to achieve better parity between the Mac and PC versions (I use a PC at work and a Mac at home).  Can you please add the strikethrough formatting option to the Mac formatting toolbar?  It's in the PC version:

image.png.ccfcdb7e8619ed7e5c7d7b13dadf0a8e.png

But not the Mac one.

Thanks in advance

Natalie

Desperately needing that strikethrough button on all platforms for all people that I collaborate with. It only exists on iphone and windows desktop? That's strange. Android app, Mac desktop... lets get the button in there please!

On 11/20/2017 at 7:21 AM, Cing Sian Dal said:

^ + Command + K works on later version 6.13

I'm using version 7.1 and can't get the strikethrough keyboard shortcut to work. 

The shortcuts for other style formats work fine but I have to go to the dropdown menu in order to strikethrough text. 

It had worked in the past but maybe broke in one of the updates??

You have every other common formatting option up there (underline, bold, italic, font color) but you stop before adding strikethrough - why? This is a productivity app, meant in part to keep lists! I use the keyboard shortcut, but would love to see strikethrough text up on the main formatting bar.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Allison Jaynes said:

You have every other common formatting option up there (underline, bold, italic, font color) but you stop before adding strikethrough - why? This is a productivity app, meant in part to keep lists! I use the keyboard shortcut, but would love to see strikethrough text up on the main formatting bar.

Which platform?  Strikeout is in the Windows formatting bar. 

I'm guessing it's the non-beta web client (which is using the older editor since the new one broke a while back). Edit: looks like it must be the Mac client, actually

@Allison Jaynes You can get those extra formatting options back in the beta either web client, which you can opt into from the settings page. (the beta is missing a few features itself at the moment, but those should get in eventually). You could also try the checkbox lists (and then check completed items instead of doing strikethrough on bulleted/numbered lists).

• Level 5*
Just now, rezecib said:

I'm guessing it's the non-beta web client (which is using the older editor since the new one broke a while back).

Could it be the Mac version?  I don't think it is in the toolbar there.  Need to dig into the menus to find it.

• Level 5
1 hour ago, rezecib said:

I'm guessing it's the non-beta web client (which is using the older editor since the new one broke a while back).

@Allison Jaynes You can get those extra formatting options back in the beta web client, which you can opt into from the settings page. (the beta is missing a few features itself at the moment, but those should get in eventually). You could also try the checkbox lists (and then check completed items instead of doing strikethrough on bulleted/numbered lists).

When I look at the non-beta Web interface, I do have strikethrough, right after underline and before checkbox. See below.

image.thumb.png.44dbdccfc1a19ef676efdaeebf838c09.png

• Thanks 2

For clarification I would say (because I have the same concern and observation), the request is for the Mac desktop version.  I use Evernote across multiple devices and I do not see strikethough on the toolbar on the Mac desktop app.  And I really wish it was. 

Did you check general Mac's keyboard shortcuts? Maybe Command + Control + K is for something another in your system and because of it does not work in Evernote.

System preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts

Six years later and a strikethrough button has still not been added to the mac version of evernote.
Is there some reason this is particularly difficult to implement? It seems like such an odd thing to exclude, especially over years of updates.

I will note that a strikethrough button is clearly visible in the box used to make this comment. Like so. 

• Like 1
On 9/28/2018 at 11:41 AM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Again, for clarification, which platform does this concern? Mac, iOS, Windows, Web, Android? I know it's available in all of the last three.

Mac.

although you ought to have worked it out via process of elimination, and considering we're on: