Pin notes to the top of notebook

sjgmail

Idea

• Level 5*
On 2017-10-31 at 10:55 AM, Kristen Crane said:

I wish there was a way to be able to organize your notes in a specific order as well as an option to pin a note to the top

An option is to adjust the dates or prefix the titles so they automatically sort to the top

Hi Evernote,

I've been using evernote for 5 years and then comes **another product from competitor** and introduces note coloring and note pinning and it's suddenly so intuitive to use!

Here are the suggestions:

1. background color of the note snippets (only snippets) so they can be easily distinguished by color in the list of notes inside the notebook. The background of the note itself doesn't change so it doesn't become hard to read. As one exception, a title space of the note can have the same color as the note snippet to connect style of the note to the snippet.
  2. pin notes to the top of the notebook - this is such a no brainer! There are notes which just must be on top all the time, period, while other notes must follow normal sorting pattern.

Evernote is much more powerful than alternatives but its interface is still a pain.

Thanks.

Best Regards,

George

On 10/3/2017 at 3:14 PM, jefito said:

That works, too, if you have a relatively small number of notes that you want to pin. I almost always use snippet view and have a fair number of reminder notes, some dated and some not, and I like the sorting / filtering ability that carries over into reminder notes, so that's why I use that. Good suggestion.

Why if you just created a tag "reminders", and then added the "reminders" tag to the bar across the top for fast access?

It would be extremely helpful to be able to pin a note or notes to the top of my list so they’re not constantly getting lost among updated notes. I realize I can use tags or add them to the shortcut menu, but that does me no good on mobile when I’m looking at all notes, which is how I’m using Evernote 95% of the time. Pinning a note to the top would allow me to prioritize a note at my leisure without shuffling around my organization; I could then remove that priority at any time and carry on. This would be helpful, for example, if you have notes that trigger thoughts or reminders that serve as visual cues. I would use this feature regularly on the mobile app.

• Like 1

Hello.

It's my first time I ever wrote English post in the forum. So i'm afraid my English skill might not fits in your senses. I hope you could understand what I was trying to appeal. And if there's something disturb you in my post, please let me know. I will adjust it.

Evernote is such a nice program. I scrap everything I like in evernote by web clipper, write everything that comes up to my mind. While I write at least 20 notes a day, The number of my notes has became quite too many. Now I have 8000+ notes in my evernote. And I even subscribed to the premium account thanks to the student sale. 

I usually divide my notes in various notebooks according to the projects or topics. And each projects and topics has somewhat more important notes than the other notes contained in the same notebook. For example, A note that contains every single link of the other notes. But options I could choose to align my notes is very limited. by the title, by the time it's modified, the day this note has been created... etc. So I'm experiencing some hardship in aligning my notes. 

Evernote already has bookmark function to dealing with this aligning matter. But it is very global, regardless of which notebook they belong to. Bookmark function is not enough for me. People that has too many notes but using it not just to archive things, but to organize their thoughts and divide their effort needs something more than bookmark. 

So I was hoping that if you could add sticky notes function for each notebooks. Just like sticky threads that always remain at the top of this forum. I guess in this forum, it's called 'pinned'. 

If I could pin some notes in my notebooks, it would be very comfortable. So I suggest you this function. What do you think about it?

Thanks for your patience, and your attention. 

ScreenClip.png

• Level 5*
11 hours ago, TRIUM said:

So I was hoping that if you could add sticky notes function for each notebooks. Just like sticky threads that always remain at the top of this forum. I guess in this forum, it's called 'pinned'. 

If I could pin some notes in my notebooks, it would be very comfortable. So I suggest you this function. What do you think about it?

Evernote has two sections where you can pin notes; Reminders and Shortcuts

For the other sections, I work with the existing sort features; title, create date, modification date
I adjust these fields so the notes are always sorted to the top of the list

Been doing some digging around and I'm surprised this still isn't an implemented feature.  Besides changing the date (which will be edited everytime the note is), you figure this would be a useful thing for notes such as tasks (that you need to reference daily).

Anyone have any tips in that regard?

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
On 2018-01-14 at 8:32 AM, richford said:

Been doing some digging around and I'm surprised this still isn't an implemented feature.  Besides changing the date (which will be edited everytime the note is), you figure this would be a useful thing for notes such as tasks (that you need to reference daily).

Anyone have any tips in that regard?

Work-arounds are
- change the note's creation date and sort on creation date (it does not get edited everytime the note is)
- add a prefix to the title, and sort on title

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, Heynando said:

The fact that users can't pin notes is shameful in my view.

shameful??

Note, "pinning" is available in the Shortcut and Reminders sections; users have shared their solutions in this discussion

>>This is so simple to resolve. So weird

Please share.  What's the process for resolving this?

Agreed. The mobile experience leaves much to be desired. 

FYI the Reminders feature can be used as a kind of pin. Just set a reminder on the note and it will show up at the top of the list in the Reminders section (as well as below). It will ask you to choose a date and time for the reminder but you can just tap outside of that to just set a reminder with no date. 

Annoying thing though is that if you have any reminders set with dates those notes will show up above notes that have reminders with no dates. Honestly I think there just needs to be a separate pin function, completely independent of reminders. A pin function that works like the one in Apple notesor Google Keep does.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
10 hours ago, jyc23 said:

Annoying thing though is that if you have any reminders set with dates those notes will show up above notes that have reminders with no dates

In the Windows client, at least (since nobody has specified which Evernote client this pertains to), you can sort the reminder list by Date (which does indeed sort reminders with actual data above reminders with no date) or not, in which case you can move reminders to arbitrary locations in the list (so sorting by hand). I find reminders to be very handy, but, like keeping  extra tabs open in your browser, having too many of them kinda defeats the purpose. I do actually prefer sort-by-date, as that puts reminder notes that I have specific dates for up front, as opposed to reminders that don't, which for me are a sort of bookmarky, get-to-it-sometime kind of marker (i.e. lower priority). YMMV, per usual.

So I use the mobile version for IOS. I’m mobile probably 90% of the time using Evernote, and on occasion I’m on the laptop. But on mobile, i use the All Notes view since I’m usually in a rush and just want to access everything real quick. When I set a reminder to a note, it doesn’t bump it to the top of my list as mentioned above. Doesn’t matter if I set a date or not; all it does is ping it to go to the Reminders folder if I’m sorting. I don’t sort or have time to sort on mobile—I want to jump in and out within All Notes. Hence the reason for this original post—it would be nice to be able to pin a note to the top of that All Notes list and unpin it when I’m done using it as a priority. Sure we can organize folders and reminders and sort and use shortcuts and I can eventually have a two to three click system if I want, but it’s not practical for me on mobile. Works great on laptop when I have more time but not mobile. Just my experience.

• Level 5*

I added my vote

This is not just a mobile issue.  
The request is to flag notes so they automatically appear at the top of any list regardless of sort sequence

• Like 1

I agree about having a push-pin / priority list.

The reminder idea is fine... but I have four team members who are technically challenged as it is. I'm trying hard to encourage them to use EN, and I don't think  they will remember about using reminders.. plus it's confusing, since one doesn't want to make a reminder, but instead make a priority list. 

• Like 1
On 1/18/2018 at 5:02 PM, DTLow said:

>>This is so simple to resolve. So weird

Please share.  What's the process for resolving this?

I read your question as antagonizing, not sure whether that's correct. Just in case: One very simple solution is to add another column in the note database for pinning. And then do two search queries instead of one when you retrieve the data to display, like this:

SELECT Title FROM Notes WHERE Pinned="True" ORDER BY Date DESC;
SELECT Title FROM Notes WHERE Pinned="False" ORDER BY Date DESC;

It's an easy fix. There might be more elegant ways of solving it, but this was just top of mind.

• Level 5*
13 hours ago, infectious said:

One very simple solution is to add another column in the note database for pinning. And then do two search queries instead of one when you retrieve the data to display

I was hoping for a simple solution; changing the database and UI is complicated and beyond the skills of the average user

That's how Evernote does pinning in the Reminder Section (another column)
The column is called Reminder Order; and contains a value to indicate the pinning sequence

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, infectious said:

One very simple solution is to add another column in the note database for pinning. And then do two search queries instead of one when you retrieve the data to display, like this:

Always remember that Evernote is a cloud service. The note database is a local cache of the account information stored in the Evernote servers. There is no "pinned" designation in Evernote at this time, so what you're really suggesting is a local change to the Windows client that would not ripple through your global Evernote account. In other words, a note pinned in your Windows client wouldn't be pinned, say, on your phone, unless the changes were made to Evernote's architecture and API (and the phone's Evernote application).

https://dev.evernote.com/doc/

Spaces (currently in public beta for Evernote Business) have a pinned notes feature. We do want to bring spaces to personal accounts too, lots of us want to use them on our personal accounts as well :P

As for pinning within notebooks, reminders work fine. We have some shared notebooks internally that definitely use reminders this way, like to pin a "Table of Contents" note in a large notebook.

• Level 5*
4 minutes ago, rezecib said:

Spaces (currently in public beta for Evernote Business) have a pinned notes feature

Thanks for the news.  I'm looking forward to using the Spaces feature.

>As for pinning within notebooks, reminders work fine.

It's an option and works for some users.  Personally, my Reminders section is full of   ....  reminders

Reminders don't display in "List" view, so that's out.

Using a prefix would work but only when sorted by name, and in the correct Notebook, so that's out too.

Using a shortcut would work but your note has to have a short name otherwise it takes up too much shortcut real-estate and you can't rename a shortcut. But it still interferes with workflow because if you have just created a complicated search then click on the "pinned" note-as-a-shortcut your entire list changes. So that's out.

I use tags 0, 1 and 2 and keep important "pinned" notes as 1. But that's a filter, and like using a shortcut, it will interfere with workflow by changing the list. So that's out.

So yes, there are multiple ways around "pinned" notes, but none of them are true "pinned" notes.

Add me to the list of people who would love this functionality.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
41 minutes ago, lisec said:

Using a prefix would work but only when sorted by name,

Since you identified this solution, I'll point out that notes may also be sorted by date.
The Win/Mac platforms allow adjustment to the note dates
You might want to cover all three sort sequences

edited: There are six sort sequences when ascending/descending is considered
              Adjusting the title/date can't conver both ascending/descending

Just now, DTLow said:

Since you identified this solution, I'll point out that notes may also be sorted by date.
The Win/Mac platforms allow adjustment to the note dates
You might want to cover all three sequences

I would not consider changing the date daily on a note a viable solution. I would need a pinned note to remind me to change the date on the pinned note ;-)

4 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Not daily - only when the note is created or modified

For example, in descending update sequence, the note dated 2099/12/31 will be listed at the top

ah, a future date. Right.

• Level 5*
13 minutes ago, lisec said:

I would not consider changing the date daily on a note a viable solution. I would need a pinned note to remind me to change the date on the pinned note ;-)

If you view in created sort sequence you don't have to edit the date often if at all, if not, just don't modify the note I suppose.  :(  But then I'm not a note pinner.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, lisec said:

That's true (and unfortunate), but you can still sort by the ReminderTime field in the list view. It's not a drag/drop 'pinning' operation, but it does honor the reminder time that you can set in a note.

• Level 5*
7 minutes ago, lisec said:

It's funny how all of the various workarounds for pinning a note involve searching/finding a note when "pinning" actually means never having to search or find!

Actually the way "pinning" works is by a sort column (a field in the note)

For example, in the Reminder Section the column is called Reminder Order

3 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Actually the way "pinning" works is by a sort column.

For example, in the Reminder Section, the column is called Reminder Order

A "pinned" note stays at the top no matter how you sort.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, lisec said:

A "pinned" note stays at the top no matter how you sort.

It's not a workaround if you use snippet view (my favorite), since you can actually order reminders arbitrarily in the reminder list, which which is actually a lot closer to your definition of 'pinning' (though my preference is to just sort using reminder time). It does make it a two-step operation, though. In any case, why it's not available for the list views is a mystery to me.

We'll see how the upcoming 'spaces' changes work out with respect to pinning and other facilities. Still trying to understand what Spaces are and how they fit in with the Evernote scheme.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, jefito said:

Still trying to understand what Spaces are and how they fit in with the Evernote scheme.

You may do better than I, but I read the below and still not 100%sure what a Space is.  My reading says it's a new name for Stack with the addition of what's new and pinning, though not sure the last two have anything to do with notebook structure.  Interested in your read.

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/115015761208-Getting-Started-with-Evernote-Business-Beta

• Level 5*
7 minutes ago, CalS said:

My reading says it's a new name for Stack with the addition of what's new and pinning

And Sharing

And for the future, there's an indication of note/notebook assignment to multiple Spaces

3 hours ago, jefito said:

IWe'll see how the upcoming 'spaces' changes work out with respect to pinning and other facilities. Still trying to understand what Spaces are and how they fit in with the Evernote scheme.

Yeah, I got a bit excited reading about Spaces. From what I've read it reminded me of the old OS/2 days where you could create desktop shortcuts that would open entire projects (programs, files, etc).  Your "deck" icon would open your deck-related files, programs, whatever without having to open the program first. It just didn't care where the deck-related info was coming from or what format it took.  I'm guessing spaces lets you gather everything related to deck-building (notebooks, notes, tags) and allows you to share and/or collaborate on the whole shebang.

On 5/3/2016 at 1:45 AM, CalS said:

Workaround, change the recent edit (updated) date of the note to 12/12/2030 or the like if you sort in reverse order.  

No official way to pin notes.  You can do some note placement with reminders but typically a PITA if you have a lot of notes in the mix.

wish that feature was added as soon as possible. Shortcuts are available, so should pinned notes. I think Evernote is a bit slow in bringing new features.

• Sad 1
  • Level 5*
6 minutes ago, NIzi said:

wish that feature was added as soon as possible. Shortcuts are available, so should pinned notes. I think Evernote is a bit slow in bringing new features.

Feature requests have been posted
Please indicate your support using the voting buttons in the top left corner of the discussion

A feature request is posted here

• Level 5*
17 hours ago, lisec said:

Yeah, I got a bit excited reading about Spaces. From what I've read it reminded me of the old OS/2 days where you could create desktop shortcuts that would open entire projects (programs, files, etc).  Your "deck" icon would open your deck-related files, programs, whatever without having to open the program first. It just didn't care where the deck-related info was coming from or what format it took.  I'm guessing spaces lets you gather everything related to deck-building (notebooks, notes, tags) and allows you to share and/or collaborate on the whole shebang.

This seems to be the direction that spaces is going in, though I haven't been able to winkle out all of the details of how everything hangs together. I think that that will be useful for my own work life, even though it's more aimed at a collaborative environment. 

• Level 5*
17 hours ago, CalS said:

My reading says it's a new name for Stack with the addition of what's new and pinning, though not sure the last two have anything to do with notebook structure.

It's gotta be a separate beast from stacks (stacks are really not containers with external existence, but just a name in a notebook, which is used to collect other notebooks that have the same stack name) and because stacks exist out there in the field already. Spaces appear to be containers in their own right and should be part of the Evernote architecture as something more than pasted on, which is what stacks feel like to me.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, jefito said:

It's gotta be a separate beast from stacks (stacks are really not containers with external existence, but just a name in a notebook, which is used to collect other notebooks that have the same stack name) and because stacks exist out there in the field already. Spaces appear to be containers in their own right and should be part of the Evernote architecture as something more than pasted on, which is what stacks feel like to me.

I was taking a logical view.  Per the promo page, "Quickly view, share, and edit a collection of related notes and notebooks in one place", it would seem notebooks/notes can exist in multiple spaces.  Not clear if spaces will contain stacks.  Anyway, for someone who doesn't have many notebooks or use the collaboration capabilities, meh, pending elucidation.  :)

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, CalS said:

Anyway, for someone who doesn't have many notebooks

My primary reason for using notebooks is to share notes.

Instead, as I read it, I will use Spaces; multiple Spaces per note

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, jefito said:

Yeah, waiting for that, too. Not sure why they didn't consult us before setting off to design and implement this new feature... :)

Nah, I prefer providing feedback after the fact.  ;)

• Like 1
On 2/24/2018 at 8:21 AM, lisec said:

Perhaps this is recent (I work on backend, not clients), but this is what I see in our current Mac client nightly:

5a947f5ca747b_ScreenShot2018-02-26at1_41_27PM.png.31f47b25ff5ab09393b41f64a2cbd603.png

23 hours ago, CalS said:

Not clear if spaces will contain stacks.

Currently they cannot. Not sure if this is planned, I'll try to find out. Edit: Not planned as far as I could find out.

As for a more general overview of Spaces, they consist of:

• A set of notebooks, just like a stack (which currently can each belong to only one Space, but we want to allow multiple)
  • A set of notes that belong to the space itself; in this sense it's kind of like a notebook of its own
  • A "what's new" section that shows notes recently edited, and who edited them
  • A "pinned notes" section, which can have notes from the space itself or any of its notebooks

You can think of them like a revamping of stacks with more features, sure. They were designed with collaboration in mind (part of why they're launching for Business first), so there's also a dedicated sidebar section for spaces, a Space Directory that lists spaces that are shared within the business, and spaces themselves can be shared.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, rezecib said:

• A set of notebooks, just like a stack (which currently can each belong to only one Space, but we want to allow multiple)
  • A set of notes that belong to the space itself; in this sense its kind of like a notebook of its own
  • A "pinned notes" section, which can have notes from the space itself or any of its notebooks

You can think of them like a revamping of stacks with more features, sure. They were designed with collaboration in mind (part of why they're launching for Business first), so there's also a dedicated sidebar section for spaces, a Space Directory that lists spaces that are shared within the business, and spaces themselves can be shared.

Thanks for the detail.

• Level 5*

Currently they cannot. Not sure if this is planned, I'll try to find out. Edit: Not planned as far as I could find out.

This makes sense as they seem to pretty much replace and improve on what stacks are. Perhaps a tool or command to import a stack into a space would help some users to transition.

• A set of notes that belong to the space itself; in this sense it's kind of like a notebook of its own

Will the sections be configurable? i.e. can you remove sections that aren't desired (like say, what's new?) Will there be a section that has sortable lists of notes, as in the normal desktop? I envision a space as a container of references to notebooks, rather than containers of notebooks, and hopefully that leads to a notebook being able to be a member of more than one space.

• Level 5*
16 minutes ago, jefito said:

This makes sense as they seem to pretty much replace and improve on what stacks are. Perhaps a tool or command to import a stack into a space would help some users to transition.

Could be spaces provide a way to have a notebook exist in two stack like groupings, each not containing the same notebooks.  Sounds like one could have a stack containing all synced notebooks and then have spaces made up of notebooks to be shared with different folks.  So may not replace stacks.  Just spitballing about something of which I know next to nothing, which is the best kind.  :D

36 minutes ago, jefito said:

Perhaps a tool or command to import a stack into a space would help some users to transition.

That sounds reasonable to me. Doubt it will be there with Business launch, but it makes a lot of sense for when Spaces come to Personal.

Will the sections be configurable?

They aren't right now. Don't know if it's planned, but I personally would want it.

I envision a space as a container of references to notebooks

That's how we want it to be. It's not there yet.

Will there be a section that has sortable lists of notes, as in the normal desktop?

Right now the sections are:

What's New     |     Pinned Notes

---------------------------------

List of contained Notebooks/notes

The list shows (title, updated time, updated user, sharing status). All notebooks show before all notes. Notebooks can be expanded to show the list of notes inside of them.

The list is not sortable in the Mac client right now. I believe sorting by the fields that it currently shows is planned, but it seems that notebooks always show on top no matter how you sort.

I hope it gets some improvement, but I don't know more about what's planned in that area. As it is right now it works when a Space is small, but could become cumbersome if it gets large -- I personally would like parity with the existing note list views and sorting capabilities.

14 minutes ago, CalS said:

Could be spaces provide a way to have a notebook exist in two stack like groupings, each not containing the same notebooks.  Sounds like one could have a stack containing all synced notebooks and then have spaces made up of notebooks to be shared with different folks.

Hmm, looks like this is how it works, yeah. But we want to have spaces alone provide this capability, by allowing a notebook to be in multiple spaces. Currently, though, notebooks only go in one, and you can kind of get a separate organization going with stacks, because the two features ignore each other.

Edited by rezecib
Clarified current vs desired notebook-space relationship
  • Like 1
  • Level 5*
2 minutes ago, rezecib said:

Hmm, looks like this is how it works, yeah. But we want to have spaces alone provide this capability, by allowing a notebook to be in multiple spaces.

That would seem optimal.  Perhaps I misread the above, I thought it said a notebook could be in one space to begin.  If I misread it, then yeah, stacks are pretty much replaced.

Hello community,

I'm a 5y+ Evernote user and I'm enjoying the experience! I might repeat with other similar requests, but that's better.

My request is to have the ability to PIN a note on top of others, so it stays that way (e.g. telegrams ability to pin a chat on top).

I use snippet view and I would like to have important notes pinned in the middle column.

Looking forward to a solution,

Greetings,

CG

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, cosmicgate said:

I would like to have important notes pinned in the middle column.

This isn't the first request for a pinning feature. 
Evernote supports "pinning" in the shortcut and reminder lists but no such feature in the note list

There are work-around suggestions
My solution is to adjust the note title and dates so the note automatically sorts to the position

================

A comment on the note list.  
The display may be "All Notes", or a specific notebook, or search.  
Would an "important note" apply to all contexts?

You might make use of the shortcuts section for pinning important notes.  
You could even use tag:Important-Notes and use a shortcut to the tag

>>I might repeat with other similar requests, but that's better.

I'm not clear how duplicated requests are better.
Also, you posted your request in the Windows forum.  This would seem to be a platform wide request

We're all different - so one man's meat is another man's poison.

With that in mind I prefer to do it this way:

• Create a new tag : "pinned" (or similar)
  • Create a saved search for tag:pinned
  • Drag the saved search onto the shortcuts toolbar.

I then just tag notes as pinned, and can see all my pinned notes with a single click via the shortcut.

Unpin the note by removing the tag.:D

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, Andy Warburotn said:

Create a new tag : "pinned" (or similar)

I have over 300 tags, but I don't consider this to be "pinning "

I sort notes by date updated, and want to keep that method. But I also have one or two notes in the work project notebook that I need all the time. These get pushed down the stack as other notes are updated. 

So I would love a way to pin one or more notes to the top of the stack, independent of sort order, so that they are always there. Yes, I know I can just create a separate notebook for those, but switching notebooks is more than I'm looking for. 

• Level 5*
On 6/2/2018 at 2:16 PM, Ordinant said:

I sort notes by date updated, and want to keep that method. But I also have one or two notes in the work project notebook that I need all the time. These get pushed down the stack as other notes are updated. 

So I would love a way to pin one or more notes to the top of the stack, independent of sort order, so that they are always there. Yes, I know I can just create a separate notebook for those, but switching notebooks is more than I'm looking for. 

As has been noted previously in this thread, you can use reminders (with some restrictions) to 'pin' notes to a separate list at the top of your note list (I use the WIndows and Android clients most frequently, and the reminder lists are implemented on these applications). They generally go along with whatever search filter you're using, so they're not universally pinned. You can generally sort your reminder list differently than your note list, and the reminder list is independently collapsible..

• Level 5*
On 6/2/2018 at 11:16 AM, Ordinant said:

I sort notes by date updated, and want to keep that method. But I also have one or two notes in the work project notebook that I need all the time... So I would love a way to pin one or more notes to the top of the stack

There's no pin feature.  On Mac/Win platforms we can adjust the updated-date of a note so it will always sort to the top of the list

• Level 5*
29 minutes ago, DTLow said:

There's no pin feature.  On Mac/Win platforms we can adjust the updated-date of a note so it will always sort to the top of the list

What I like about reminders is that they work independently of the updated date.

I have found myself many times creating notes I want to refer back quite often or be reminded of their existence but the majority of such notes get lost in the clutter. I know that you can have notebooks, etc but when you open Evernote the most recent notes or changes are always on top. So with this feature you will be able to pin a specific number of notes ( so that you don't have for example over 10 pinned notes ) and these pinned notes will always be on top no matter how many notes you create or perform changes to.

Thank you all for your kind comments. What I mean by pinning, if you, right now open Evernote you will see a list of all the notes you have created. Now, imagine if you could pin one of these notes on the very top, so everytime you open Evernote or perform changes, that specific note will always be on the very top no matter what.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Defkalion said:

I know that you can have notebooks, etc but when you open Evernote the most recent notes or changes are always on top.

May not be 100% what you want, but if you put the notes in a notebook, make your context the notebook, and then File - Exit EN, that notebook will be the context whenever you open EN.  Windows anyway;  Plus if you add the notebook to the shortcuts section you can see all the notes with one click.  FWIW.

• Level 5*

A number of Evernote clients support separate lists for reminders, which can be used as a sort of pinning mechanism. I use this in the Windows client all the time. For day-to-day operation, I tend to live in the reminder list rather than the wider seas of all my notes.

What about adding it to the shortcut list? That way it is available either in the left pane or on the toolbar in desktop versions, as well as in a dedicated menu on the mobile apps.

Edited by logandb
Grammar
  • Level 5*
35 minutes ago, logandb said:

What about adding it to the shortcut list?

That does pin the note, but not to the top of a notebook.
Its not just a notebook thing; I have note collections where I want to control the top note

My work-around is to adjust the sort factors so these notes automatically sort to the top of the list.
This is mostly a title thing.  In title sequence, a title prefixed with "-" is at the top; for example    -Project Master Note
I can also adjust the note update/create dates for the other sort sequences.

18 minutes ago, DTLow said:

That does pin the note, but not to the top of a notebook.
Its not just a notebook thing; I have note collections where I want to control the top note

My work-around is to adjust the sort factors so these notes automatically sort to the top of the list.
This is mostly a title thing.  In title sequence, a title prefixed with "-" is at the top; for example    -Project Master Note
I can also adjust the note update/create dates for the other sort sequences.

Fair point, @DTLow.  I love shortcuts, but they don't give any hint as to where the note originated.

I, too, would love this feature.

In the meantime, here's my workaround: I add a reminder to the note, using the alarm clock button at the top of the note I want to pin.

From the Evernote page about that function:

"Reminders appear in a to-do list pinned at the top of your note list where they can be sorted, marked as complete, and more. You can opt to receive email alerts on the day timed reminders are due. Once you've completed a task associated with a reminder, check it off in the reminders list. Checking off a reminder does not delete the original note."

Hope that helps!

MB

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
8 minutes ago, M. Black said:

In the meantime, here's my workaround: I add a reminder to the note, using the alarm clock button at the top of the note I want to pin.

Yes, that works in the web version. I also use the Windows application a lot, and this works in Snippet view there. I use reminders a lot, mainly for this reason.

Note that this is a separate list that appears above your note list, and can be closed separately.

Also note that you can order your reminders either by due date or by "custom". The latter means that you can drag reminders around the reminder list, and that order will stick. Pretty handy.

• Level 5*
On 9/3/2018 at 10:32 PM, filmhiker@naver.com said:

I would like to have the ability to pin a note to the top of a notebook.

2 hours ago, M. Black said:

Reminders appear in a to-do list pinned at the top of your note list where they can be sorted

I never found the Reminder Section useful in All Notes view, and I basically use a single notebook.
My reminder section is full of  ........ reminders

However this is useful if you have a focused set of notes; it could be a notebook or a saved search.
As can be seen in the screenshot - The note sucessfully appears at the top of the list
164783264_ScreenShot2018-09-14at12_45_14.png.7a939bd517b2891ff1122d445a42f664.png

• Level 5*
55 minutes ago, kloy said:

While in card view/expanded card view, is there a way to see what notebook it is in?

There are no options to display the notebook in card view.

>>Is there a way to pin notes to the top of a notebook?

There is no "pin" feature for the note list.

I usually adjust the title or dates so the note sorts to the top of the list.

At the top of the note list, you will see the Reminders section.94B09E28-418D-4107-9F5E-28A428E12817.png.908958ef6a0a7fac1a67c19d52d00f95.png
You  can set a note reminder to pin a note title in this section.

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, CabbageTree said:

It would be great to have ability to pin notes to the top of the actual notebook (and in addition to have a dynamic notebook with all the pinned notes). Google Keep has this feature. Awesome!

No "pin" feature.  My method is to adjust the title and/or dates so the note naturally sorts to the top of the note list.
Other users use the Reminders Section which appears at the top of the note list.

For the "dynamic notebook", I would apply a tag to the pin notes.  A search will retrieve the list.

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, CabbageTree said:

It would be great to have ability to pin notes to the top of the actual notebook (and in addition to have a dynamic notebook with all the pinned notes).

Windows Evernote users have to ability to have reminder notes to appear at the top of various note list types (snippet, card, thumbnail, but not the list views) in a separate list what can be sorted independently of the note list, or arbitrarily ordered. The Android client also has reminders available at the top of the note list as well. I use this feature a lot.

Currently, only the latest edited note shows on top, this brings a difficulty to me as I maintain a notebook for each project and a summary note within a notebook to keep track of the progress. Becuase we do not have a way to pin the summary to top it is being pushed down as and when I add new notes to the notebook. It is not a deal breaker but definitely causes me inconvenience when updating summary note.

• Level 5*
27 minutes ago, Harsh Nannur said:

Currently, only the latest edited note shows on top

You set the list sequence; date or title.

My process for a project review is  to switch to title sequence.
I pin the  project  master note to the top by prefixing the title with  "-"
For example:     -Project - aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

My task notes are  prefixed with "+"
The Next Action Task is prefixed with "++"

My standard sort is by Updated, but for certain notebooks is Creation date, others that can be used are Title and reminder date, etc.  You can save each separate view in the Windows version at least.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, Harsh Nannur said:

Currently, only the latest edited note shows on top, this brings a difficulty to me as I maintain a notebook for each project and a summary note within a notebook to keep track of the progress. Becuase we do not have a way to pin the summary to top it is being pushed down as and when I add new notes to the notebook. It is not a deal breaker but definitely causes me inconvenience when updating summary note.

I use reminders for this, as it works well with snippet view, which I use almost exclusively, as well as card view and thumbnail view (doesn't work with the list views, unfortunately). Reminders form a separate, collapsible list above your note list, and it can be independently sorted from your note list, or even sorted arbitrarily by dragging notes up and down the list.  I find this to be super handy for keeping important notes readily available.

Pinning notes is and should be a pretty fundamental utility for an App that's been around as long as Evernote. I've used Evernote extensively for both work and personal for yers but this has always been a bugbear - for example checking quickly for a recently uploaded note now involves wading through countless 1/1/2100 created notes (or reminders). It really needs to be sorted. The suggestion that "Spaces"now has this function just doesn't cut it. I already pay for premium and can get this function in Bear and similar, why not Evernote?

Pinning notes is and should be a pretty fundamental utility for an App that's been around as long as Evernote. I've used Evernote extensively for both work and personal for yers but this has always been a bugbear - for example checking quickly for a recently uploaded note now involves wading through countless 1/1/2100 created notes (or reminders). It really needs to be sorted. The suggestion that "Spaces"now has this function just doesn't cut it. I already pay for premium and can get this function in Bear and similar, why not Evernote?

Pinning notes is and should be a pretty fundamental utility for an App that's been around as long as Evernote. I've used Evernote extensively for both work and personal for yers but this has always been a bugbear - for example checking quickly for a recently uploaded note now involves wading through countless 1/1/2100 created notes (or reminders). It really needs to be sorted. The suggestion that "Spaces"now has this function just doesn't cut it. I already pay for premium and can get this function in Bear and similar, why not Evernote?

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, Worfed said:

for example checking quickly for a recently uploaded note now involves wading through countless 1/1/2100 created notes (or reminders). It really needs to be sorted.

Not clear what this has to do with pinning a note?

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, Worfed said:

for example checking quickly for a recently uploaded note now involves wading through countless 1/1/2100 created notes (or reminders)

Still no "pin" feature

I would use filtered lists to avoid "wading through countless  ..."

Please indicate your support for this request using the voting buttons at the top left corner of the discussion.

• Level 5*
On 11/11/2018 at 7:11 AM, Павел Фоменко said:

I almost fell off the chair when I found out that such a wonderful notebook don't let me arrange headings as it can be done with my paragraphs ?

The "arrange headings" and "wonderful notebook" is confusing.  
You can prefix your note titles wih a number, then view then in title sequence;
for example  01 Note Heading, 02 Note Heading, ...

I've read the discussion about 'spaces' and I don't think it will be useful for me in my situation. However I would like to have the facility to 'pin' a note to the top (or bottom) of a notebook, resistant to sorting notes within the notebook. I realise I can get close to this functionality with 'reminders' (or tags) but 'pinning' would avoid confusing real reminders with note I specifically want easy access to.

While the concept is simple I understand that it might not be quite so easy to code for, but it would increase the functionality of Evernote. You could have all your cut & paste favourites in one easy to access note. All your technical fixes (or the internal links to their separate notes) for your operating system in one place. Key summary points of various notes in the notebook or quotations in one easy to access note. 

Tags are great but I don't want to search for them to get to something I use frequently. Pinned notes would save searches.