(Archived) V5 beta

dlu

• Level 5*

Unfortunately, I tried it out and the problem still persists.  Hopefully, a checkbox can be provided in the preferences for this to be changed within the client.

Darn. Sorry that didn't work out for you.
  • Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Overall I'd give the beta an average rating. Nothing in it will dramatically improve my use of EN, but there is nothing that will materially hurt it, either. With all the love Mac products have gotten, though, I'd hoped for something more engaging. A few comments (most if not all of which have already been submitted):

*HATE that the Title is inside the note. Others have expressed it better than I can. To me, the title is meta data, equivalent to tags and should be outside of the note content

*There is a delay after typing the title before I can actually start typing the body of the note. Not horrible, but irritating

*LOVE the new shortcuts

*Don't love that when I open a new note to full view, the entry box is not full length of the window. I haven't typed anything yet so there are no related notes, and I like to compose with space. Yes, when I finally fill the window more lines are added (though only one at a time), but I want a full blank note, not a few lines. 

*Changes to adding tags where the type ahead doesn't automatically highlight the tag is frustrating. I've been adding and deleting partial tags all week.

*When I open a note, the screen size is really small. Is there a way to change the default size?

*Would love ability to highlight text in notes

• Level 5*

Overall I'd give the beta an average rating. Nothing in it will dramatically improve my use of EN, but there is nothing that will materially hurt it, either. With all the love Mac products have gotten, though, I'd hoped for something more engaging. A few comments (most if not all of which have already been submitted):

*HATE that the Title is inside the note. Others have expressed it better than I can. To me, the title is meta data, equivalent to tags and should be outside of the note content

*There is a delay after typing the title before I can actually start typing the body of the note. Not horrible, but irritating

*LOVE the new shortcuts

*Don't love that when I open a new note to full view, the entry box is not full length of the window. I haven't typed anything yet so there are no related notes, and I like to compose with space. Yes, when I finally fill the window more lines are added (though only one at a time), but I want a full blank note, not a few lines. 

*Changes to adding tags where the type ahead doesn't automatically highlight the tag is frustrating. I've been adding and deleting partial tags all week.

*When I open a note, the screen size is really small. Is there a way to change the default size?

*Would love ability to highlight text in notes

Highlighting and Reminders are on the way (http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/38605-highlight-text-within-evernote/?p=217439).

Didn't see any comments on this bug and I tested it out and it's repeatable so I figured I'd type up the description of the problem.

If you have enough tags on a note to be too long to display and get the dropdown menu, clicking on the 'x' to remove a tag in that dropdown results in the tag being removed from the note BUT the tag name still shows in the dropdown list. If you close out the dropdown and re-open it, the tag will not show up.

In my testing, I did have one time where the correct behavior occurred and the tag was removed from the list but the rest of the time, it just stayed listed.

• Level 5*

I have been using version 5 since it became available. Generally I do like it. However, as others have commented the uppercase menu items, the lack of the shortcut bar at the top, and the lack of the always visible title are problematic for me as for many others. Particular concerns for me are as follows:

1.  The left panel no longer has the ability to search by attributes. For example, in version 4 we had the ability to quickly identify all notes containing PDFs. In version 5 we have to enter into the search bar space "resource:application/PDF" which is a challenge to remember. I have saved this search so it now appears in my shortcuts list.

2.  I wanted to search for files that are attached to notes but could not find a way to do it. I searched on this site and found "filename:attachment*". Despite trying various combinations  of upper and lower case F and A, I could not  get any notes to show. A manual scroll through all my notes with attachments show quite a lot of notes that should meet this criterion.

3.  The tags entry on the left panel used to allow me to display only the assigned tags. This is great for refining a search. However, there is no option to do this on right-click now. Please restore this functionality.

4.  The toolbar allows me to show just icons which gives me a lot of space between the icons and the search bar. It would be great if I could install my important shortcuts in that location. I know that not everyone has a widescreen like I do, but there should be the opportunity to stack toolbars in the same way that Microsoft allows in MS Word.

Of course, I would also like to see an improved note editor and the ability to highlight text within a note, but know this is probably not an easy thing to do. So keep up the good work. At the moment, unfortunately it seems like version 5 is one step forward but also 2 steps backward.

• Level 5*

1.  The left panel no longer has the ability to search by attributes. For example, in version 4 we had the ability to quickly identify all notes containing PDFs. In version 5 we have to enter into the search bar space "resource:application/PDF" which is a challenge to remember. I have saved this search so it now appears in my shortcuts list.

Yes, a definite "missing in action". I'm hoping that the eventual plan is to add it to the search control (which is located on the upper right), similar to other clients, Android at least (Search / Advanced / Other), though Android doesn't have the resources search available.

2.  I wanted to search for files that are attached to notes but could not find a way to do it. I searched on this site and found "filename:attachment*". Despite trying various combinations  of upper and lower case F and A, I could not  get any notes to show. A manual scroll through all my notes with attachments show quite a lot of notes that should meet this criterion.

"filename:attachment" is not a valid search for attachments, unless you have attachments named, literally, "attachment". "filename:*" with return all notes with attachments, "filename:a*" will return all attachments with names starting with the letter 'a', "filename:ba*" will return all attachments with names starting with the string "ba", and so forth. At least that's what the posts in this topic say: http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/23367-search-doesnt-index-filenames-why-not/. I didn't test this much.

• Level 5*

Thanks, Jefito, Actually, the attachments were named "Attachment.pdf" and I did vary the search terms to include every possible combination of lower and upper case. Curiously, your search worked when I searched for "attachment:M*". All the Attachment.pdf files arose from FileThis imports. They have now changed their system so I get longer file names, so I am unlikely to need that particular search again.

• Level 5*

@Factman: I'm not claiming that the search actually works as described, mind. It's kinda under-documented, even in the developer search grammar documentation (http://dev.evernote.com/documentation/cloud/chapters/search_grammar.php). Fact is, I'm kinda getting the feeling that the search grammar is getting getting left behind with respect to UI capabilities as you are now able to do note filtering using the UI that you cannot do with pure search. Bugs me, actually.

• Level 5*

ANyone tried exporting their entire personal database? I can do this with v4.x no prob. I have roughly 12,500 notes that is about 7-8GB in my personal notes. I tried exporting twice and it hangs in the 9,100 note range, so I tried to export notes 1-9,000, and this time it hung at around 7,600, so it seems to get 75%-80% through and just stops. I checked the memory and it didn't peak at 2GB, so that isn't the issue.

Hey Guys,

I like the look of the new beta - hoping this propagates to the Android version as well (clean white look, maybe with a dark theme option hint hint?).

-Tom

yeah there needs to be a dark theme sooooo badly..  my windows and android both have dark themes.. and these white apps are blinding...

I with you guys, the white is too much. Tone it down a little.

Forgive me if this was already mentioned.  When note window is open (i.e. open note in seperate window),neither I cannot move the window nor use the close buttons. Only Maximize/Minimize work on the window bar. The only way to close the window is through the file menu. Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit.

I agree with the previous writer that it is too "flat".  I miss some color and differentiation between the sections.  I don't like to have to work so hard to see the different sections.  (Sounds whiney...sorry).

It used to be really easy to find the edges to the sections to change size.  The colors are too similar...too much gray, too.

LOVE LOVE LOVE what Evernote does.  It is my number one FAVORITE program/app of all times, and I couldn't live without it.  Just don't make me work so hard.  : )

I think you have probably gotten the message by now, that everybody wants the Evernote color scheme to return.  Being creatures of habit and visual recognition, the Green Evernote scheme gave us our mental bearings to know where and what we are doing.  The current B&W/Grey format tells our mind that we might be anywhere... or nowhere. :wacko:  (I'm sure Phil would prefer to see Evernote stay "Green" as well.)

I think most of the glitches I've seen have already been covered in previous posts, but I'd like to second the comment that... now is the time to add text highlighting to notes :D

Eagerly awaiting the next release.

• Level 5*

I think you have probably gotten the message by now, that everybody wants the Evernote color scheme to return.

I don't really care all that much about that, particularly because I feel that the underlying implementation has some deep unresolved inconsistencies. For example, there are a number of problems related to use of shared notebooks that make them difficult to work with. Existing valid saved searches are broken. Really, the paint job doesn't matter all that much when what's under the hood doesn't work well.

Being creatures of habit and visual recognition, the Green Evernote scheme gave us our mental bearings to know where and what we are doing.  The current B&W/Grey format tells our mind that we might be anywhere... or nowhere. :wacko:  (I'm sure Phil would prefer to see Evernote stay "Green" as well.)

I'm guessing that if Phil had wanted it to be different, it would already be.

I think most of the glitches I've seen have already been covered in previous posts, but I'd like to second the comment that... now is the time to add text highlighting to notes :D

I want highlighting (and reminders), sure, but I'd prefer that existing flaws in handling of search and categorization be resolved before tripping lightly off into new feature land.

Initial Requests:

I would really like to have the favorites bar back.  I have my left panel hidden most of the time and use favorites for the searches that I use all of the time.

I have a saved search: notebook:"Work" any: -tag:* tag:"Todo1-Now" tag:"Todo2-Days" tag:SmartEver

It worked fine in evernote 4,  The goal is the catch any items that are not tagged at all, and items tagged with a few other specific tags.

Now it shows no items.  Update, it seems like the -tag:* works by itself, but the Any: function doesn't seem to work.

I would also like to see the saved searches on the left panel as well.  I would like to be able to click on them if I don't want to start typing in the search window.  I think the best would be to have them in both places.

When Opening a note, the window does not open to the same location as the last Opened note.  It is shifted to the left by the width of my windows task bar (running Win7x64 with the taskbar on the right monitor in a dual monitor setup, primary screen is left one, taskbar is set to not autohide)  Evernote 4 had the same behavior.

• Level 5*

I have a saved search: notebook:"Work" any: -tag:* tag:"Todo1-Now" tag:"Todo2-Days" tag:SmartEver

It worked fine in evernote 4,  The goal is the catch any items that are not tagged at all, and items tagged with a few other specific tags.

Now it shows no items.  Update, it seems like the -tag:* works by itself, but the Any: function doesn't seem to work.

Yup. "any:" search is broken. Still works in the web client, for what it's worth.

I would also like to see the saved searches on the left panel as well.  I would like to be able to click on them if I don't want to start typing in the search window.  I think the best would be to have them in both places.

Searches that you save should get placed in the Shortcuts tree in the left panel. Not exactly sure whether existing saved searches get imported in automatically when you install V5 the first time.
  • Level 5*

Searches that you save should get placed in the Shortcuts tree in the left panel. Not exactly sure whether existing saved searches get imported in automatically when you install V5 the first time.

Not for me it didn't. The saved searches are in a dropdown in the upper right search bar. Nothing in my shortcuts, nor do I see a way to put them there. Not that they would be very useful since you have to scroll to the top to see he shortcuts. We need a shortcut button to see the shortcuts.  :huh:

edit: had the search bar incorrectly listed as on the left, not right.

I did find out that any does work if the search is only for text and not for tag:

So this works for my need: notebook:Work any: todo1 todo2 smartever -tag:*

Does anyone know how long older versions of EN tend to work?  For instance, if I went back to version 3.0, would it still work and sync fine?  Just wondering how long the current version will work once 5 comes out?

Not for me it didn't. The saved searches are in a dropdown in the upper right search bar. Nothing in my shortcuts, nor do I see a way to put them there. Not that they would be very useful since you have to scroll to the top to see he shortcuts. We need a shortcut button to see the shortcuts.  :huh:

Just agreeing with what you've stated here and elsewhere, for the best implementation of a feature such as a shortcut it should always be visible, otherwise it sort of defeats the point.

Search in current context doesn't work if a tag is chosen.

If I click on a notebook, and then type in the search and select a tag, it will show that tag in all notebooks instead of the "current context" of the notebook I was in.

I think you have probably gotten the message by now, that everybody wants the Evernote color scheme to return.

I don't really care all that much about that, particularly because I feel that the underlying implementation has some deep unresolved inconsistencies. For example, there are a number of problems related to use of shared notebooks that make them difficult to work with. Existing valid saved searches are broken. Really, the paint job doesn't matter all that much when what's under the hood doesn't work well.

+jefito  Sorry if you read my comment as implying that nothing mattered except appearance.  Of course, all the functionality of previous EN releases should be available and working, and new functionality should be wrung out and verified.  However, don't ignore appearance...  When your time sharing between multiple apps, office visitors, and phone conversations, visual recognition can be extremely important as well.

Being creatures of habit and visual recognition, the Green Evernote scheme gave us our mental bearings to know where and what we are doing.  The current B&W/Grey format tells our mind that we might be anywhere... or nowhere. :wacko:  (I'm sure Phil would prefer to see Evernote stay "Green" as well.)

I'm guessing that if Phil had wanted it to be different, it would already be.

+jefito  My intent was not to speak for Mr. Liben... and I assume your's was not as well. The quotes around "Green" were to suggest many interpretations of the word as well. 

Evernote, keep up the good (great) work.  V5 is Beta.. we don't expect it to fly perfect first time out of the hangar.

Just wanted to give credit where credit was due on a little touch I appreciated. 

Many of us have experienced the "Work Offline" problem in which EN can't sync when the PC has slipped into "Work Offline" mode.  (A common occurrence when I use a cellular modem to connect.)  It was frustrating, but occurred rarely enough that I had to put the workaround commands in an EN note to jog my memory.

Today, this happened again.  But in this version, the sync error popup actually mentioned the root cause and told me to fix my IE offline settings. 

Nice touch.  Thought I'd mention it lest this board seem like it's only a bugs/gripes forum....

M

• Level 5*

Evernote, keep up the good (great) work.  V5 is Beta.. we don't expect it to fly perfect first time out of the hangar.

No worries -- just expressing a little different point of view...

In older versions of Evernote I was able to view only the tags that are in the selected notebook. Is this not a feature in 5 beta?

You can do it by clicking on the tag icon to the right of the notebook name on the top bar of  the Note List.  The dropdown will only include tags that are used in that notebook.

• Level 5*

In older versions of Evernote I was able to view only the tags that are in the selected notebook. Is this not a feature in 5 beta?

You can do it by clicking on the tag icon to the right of the notebook name on the top bar of  the Note List.  The dropdown will only include tags that are used in that notebook.

Doesn't really work in the way that it used to. You have to click on Tags in the left-hand panel, then select the tags you want. Control click works just fine to select multiple tags, then you click on show notes. Probably works fine if you have a small number of tags but the bar for scrolling across is very narrow. It also doesn't show up very well against the white background. But that has been noted many times before in this thread.

I believe that the new method is better than the old one, but it would be nice if the space at the top of the list of tags could be filled with the tags that you have selected. That way you would also know very quickly if you had forgotten to press control.

Doesn't really work in the way that it used to. You have to click on Tags in the left-hand panel, then select the tags you want. Control click works just fine to select multiple tags, then you click on show notes. Probably works fine if you have a small number of tags but the bar for scrolling across is very narrow. It also doesn't show up very well against the white background. But that has been noted many times before in this thread.

I believe that the new method is better than the old one, but it would be nice if the space at the top of the list of tags could be filled with the tags that you have selected. That way you would also know very quickly if you had forgotten to press control.

The space at the top does fill up with tags... perhaps I'm misunderstanding?

Clicking on the tag icon at the top right to show the tags in the selected notebook, only seems to work for my personal notebooks.  For those, I see all the tags therein.  

However, when I do this for my business notebooks (both shared and not shared), no tags show up

OMG

well. first. although the redesign LOOKS cleaner - not having any other colors to help distinguish the different areas of the program is really hard on the user.  Not that Kelly Green is my favorite color - but basic design sense is that a FEW colors to help delineate different areas is pretty standard app design.  

also not really crazy about the all uppercase top menu.  again not in line with 99% of app design ... 

was this on purpose?  to get the beta out?  given the careful design in the other apps including the web version, i can only assume your graphic designer has not been on board yet for the design of this version.  

if this design is on purpose ... i will really have to reconsider upgrading if 5.0 comes out looking like this.  REALLY poor design  AT THIS STAGE. 

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE bring back colors to the design!

Hopefully the design will IMPROVE!

moving on. 

I have been a paying user of EVERNOTE since it started, i LOVE your product and can not live without it. I care VERY much how this product works.  

1 after install, it froze the first time opening.  

2. froze the second time opening

3. third time.  ok so it opens and then took about 10 minutes to write the screen ... really .  

4. all notebooks were listed with their number of notes (i have about 3000+ notes).  however when i clicked on the first notebook ... it said there were no notes.  this behaviour happened thruout every single notebook. 

5 i went back and clicked on the first notebook to open and now a few notes appeared - i could tell because the dates were very old. 

it seemed to read from the oldest to the newest.

note i did NOT see the SYNC arrows moving AT ALL during this time. 

then i repeated on each note book and got a mixed reaction - some had a few notes some still said no notes. 

i closed normally ;o

6 fourth time opening after install. 

now the first notebook has more notes.   AGAIN NO ARROWS moving on the SYNC button on the top bar. 

i decided to do something else and come back. 

about 20 mins later i come back.  i changed the view to show the status bar and then saw that it was syncing still... 

and the arrows finally started to show they were syncing.

7.  still many of the notebooks didnt show notes UNLESS i opened the notebook and waited sometimes up to 40 seconds for the notes to show up.   i had to open each notebook at least two times to get all the notes to show finally. 

8 viewing notes

VERY VERY VERY SLUGGISH. when moving from one note to the next in the SAME notebook. 

ok i am really surprised at this - isnt there a local database with the notes information ?  what is causing this to be so slow.  

Also using the down arrow key on the keyboard - yes there are MANY of us who live on the keys and not by the mouse ;o - using the keys on the keyboard ... evernote has a hard time catching up .... if i just hit the up arrow three times to move up three times, it goes up the three notes - but it displays each note in the viewer right side as it goes up ... so it takes awhile for the arrow to move to the note you want.  

ok maybe not many people will work this way - but this is a CHANGE from the current version and is annoying to me. 

9  often the first note in the notebook is NOT the note that is selected when you open a notebook. (based on your sort selection ) but somewhere in the middle. not consistent 

ok... i will play with tags etc this weekend.

========================

a few questions

1 how does installing beta on one computer affect the data if on another windows pc i use the current non beta version?

2 what about current TRUNK programs - for example Sticky Notes? 

i am sure there will be more... 

thanks for your hard work... keep it up!

opps i was just scrolling down thru  my notes in the NOTES (all notes) at the top of the app.... when EN closed.. 

at that i am signing off.  

(win7 pro 64 bit on the pc that i upgraded to beta;.  home is win7 pro 32 bit will keep at current version) 

OMG

well. first. although the redesign LOOKS cleaner - not having any other colors to help distinguish the different areas of the program is really hard on the user.  Not that Kelly Green is my favorite color - but basic design sense is that a FEW colors to help delineate different areas is pretty standard app design.  

also not really crazy about the all uppercase top menu.  again not in line with 99% of app design ... 

was this on purpose?  to get the beta out?  given the careful design in the other apps including the web version, i can only assume your graphic designer has not been on board yet for the design of this version.  

if this design is on purpose ... i will really have to reconsider upgrading if 5.0 comes out looking like this.  REALLY poor design  AT THIS STAGE. 

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE bring back colors to the design!

Hopefully the design will IMPROVE!

moving on. 

I have been a paying user of EVERNOTE since it started, i LOVE your product and can not live without it. I care VERY much how this product works.  

1 after install, it froze the first time opening.  

2. froze the second time opening

3. third time.  ok so it opens and then took about 10 minutes to write the screen ... really .  

4. all notebooks were listed with their number of notes (i have about 3000+ notes).  however when i clicked on the first notebook ... it said there were no notes.  this behaviour happened thruout every single notebook. 

5 i went back and clicked on the first notebook to open and now a few notes appeared - i could tell because the dates were very old. 

it seemed to read from the oldest to the newest.

note i did NOT see the SYNC arrows moving AT ALL during this time. 

then i repeated on each note book and got a mixed reaction - some had a few notes some still said no notes. 

i closed normally ;o

6 fourth time opening after install. 

now the first notebook has more notes.   AGAIN NO ARROWS moving on the SYNC button on the top bar. 

i decided to do something else and come back. 

about 20 mins later i come back.  i changed the view to show the status bar and then saw that it was syncing still... 

and the arrows finally started to show they were syncing.

7.  still many of the notebooks didnt show notes UNLESS i opened the notebook and waited sometimes up to 40 seconds for the notes to show up.   i had to open each notebook at least two times to get all the notes to show finally. 

8 viewing notes

VERY VERY VERY SLUGGISH. when moving from one note to the next in the SAME notebook. 

ok i am really surprised at this - isnt there a local database with the notes information ?  what is causing this to be so slow.  

Also using the down arrow key on the keyboard - yes there are MANY of us who live on the keys and not by the mouse ;o - using the keys on the keyboard ... evernote has a hard time catching up .... if i just hit the up arrow three times to move up three times, it goes up the three notes - but it displays each note in the viewer right side as it goes up ... so it takes awhile for the arrow to move to the note you want.  

ok maybe not many people will work this way - but this is a CHANGE from the current version and is annoying to me. 

9  often the first note in the notebook is NOT the note that is selected when you open a notebook. (based on your sort selection ) but somewhere in the middle. not consistent 

ok... i will play with tags etc this weekend.

========================

a few questions

1 how does installing beta on one computer affect the data if on another windows pc i use the current non beta version?

2 what about current TRUNK programs - for example Sticky Notes? 

i am sure there will be more... 

thanks for your hard work... keep it up!

opps i was just scrolling down thru  my notes in the NOTES (all notes) at the top of the app.... when EN closed.. 

at that i am signing off.  

(win7 pro 64 bit on the pc that i upgraded to beta;.  home is win7 pro 32 bit will keep at current version) 

Sounds like you might've run into this sluggishness during the indexing stage. Which is why you didn't see the sync animation. It shouldn't affect how many notes show up in each notebook though. You should be able to install the beta on one machine without it affecting another machine

when in TAGS on the left side. 

if you click on one tag and then use the keyboard to arrow down to the next tag - focus does not change.  you have to use the mouse to select another tag.

again this is a change from the way it works now... not sure if its intentional or not.  but for many of us who use keyboards as well as mice ... it would be nice to see that there are options for all the menus.  

thanks. 

ETA the same behaviour happens with the Notebooks.  whichever notebook you select first with the Mouse, it will stay highlighted.. the down or up arrow will move up and down the list however, the focus will stay on the first item selected.

• Level 5*

The space at the top does fill up with tags... perhaps I'm misunderstanding?

It does if you press the down arrow on the tag button in F-10, but if you click on the tag button then control click the selected tags and not appearing at the top. Another feature that would be nice with this is if the selected tags would scroll across as you scroll through the tags to select them.

I also noticed that if you select 3 or 4 tags, then click on view notes you have the 4 tags just under the Evernote drop-down list. Then you also have them repeated where it says viewing 0 notes from all notebooks tagged with the for tags that are selected.if I click on the tags beneath the Evernote drop-down list, the tags to the right of the Viewing all notes do not change.

• Level 5*

ANyone tried exporting their entire personal database? I can do this with v4.x no prob. I have roughly 12,500 notes that is about 7-8GB in my personal notes. I tried exporting twice and it hangs in the 9,100 note range, so I tried to export notes 1-9,000, and this time it hung at around 7,600, so it seems to get 75%-80% through and just stops. I checked the memory and it didn't peak at 2GB, so that isn't the issue.

Has anyone from Evernote, or anyone at all, been able to confirm this?

The beta is cutting off the bottom of notes, particularly if there is a PDF attached.  

I'm losing all text below the PDF

Could you post a screenshot? I pulled up a few PDFs with text below and they weren't cut off

Sorry, I can't.  There were too many issues working with Business notebooks in the beta and the cut-off items were the straw that broke the camel's back.  I couldn't continue to do my work so went back to the release version of 4.  

Is there any way to run the beta as well as the release version on the same PC?  I'd still be interested in testing but I can't have it be my primary interface at the moment.  

I haven't had time to read every post here so consider any repeats a "+1". Here are the issues I've noticed in the beta:

1. Too many clicks required to change the sort order in Snippet View. I do this frequently.
  2. No shortcuts toolbar.
  3. I have my Left Panel hidden. This means that once I jave selected a Notebook in the SNippets View I cannot see an easy way of switching back to "All Notes" instead of the current Notebook. I seem to have to unhide the Left Panel. [i have now found that I can add a menu item for this.]
  4. UGLY CAPITALISATION OF MENU TEXT.
  5. The "Search all notes" text box is on the far right of the interface even though the results of the search are displayed in the Snippet View on the far left of the interface. There is a disconnect here since they're on opposite ends of the interface.
  6. The "Search all notes" text in the search box is a bit of a mis-nomer. If you select a particular Notebook in the Snippets View then the search is within that Notebook, not "all" notes.
  7. If you double click in an empty area within the Snippet View it opens the selected note. If you double-click on "nothing" you'd expect nothing to happen.
  8. I have my Left Panel hidden. This means that once I jave selected a Notebook in the SNippets View I cannot see an easy way of switching back to "All Notes" instead of the current Notebook. I seem to have to unhide the Left Panel.
  9. Scroll bars needlessly thin - what is wrong with the standard Windows scrollbar? This is especially true of teh note scroll bar which takes up just a few pixels on the edge of my screen when maximised - awkward.
  10. More clicks required to enter a note URL to a new note.
  11. ENScript crashes when I try and run an exportnotes command.
  12. Reminders missing.
  13. When running EN in fullscreen mode I lose access to my Windows taskbar.
  14. If I copy and paste an attachment within the same note (therefore creating a copy of it within that note) and then rename the second attachement it also renames the first attachment. This is only apparent when navigating away and then back to the note.

I'm happy to provide a detailed explanation/screenshots for any of these.

• Level 5*

I'm happy to provide a detailed explanation/screenshots for any of these.

A number of these have been reported already, in this thread and elsewhere.

I tried the beta on my home Windows box.  The flaws regarding have the black/white design and ALL caps have already been mentioned.  I did sort of like it because it reminds me of the Evernote on my new mac; it's definitely different from the current windows version.

That said, I have to roll back - it's just not good enough for power user work.  Things I can't deal with:

1. I've noticed that notes that I create in this version are duplicated.  I'll have two notes that are almost the same, just a few minutes apart.  If I notice it, not a problem, I just delete the older version.  But I don't need duplicate notes.

2. There is no way to search for a tag - love that feature in the current version's feature bar.

3. I can't turn off the merge-view, e.g., the view you get when you select more than one note.  There used to be a registry key that would let you go back to the old behaviour.  The use case is this, I see a few notes in my note list that I want to merge.  I click one - I see the note in the bottom pane.  I click another.  I want to see this note's content in the bottom panel too, so that I can confirm that it is the note I want to merge.  Or delete, or tag, or whatever.  I use this functionality all the time at work.  The fact that I lose it means I won't be able to upgrade to the beta.

• Level 5*

3. I can't turn off the merge-view, e.g., the view you get when you select more than one note.  There used to be a registry key that would let you go back to the old behaviour.  The use case is this, I see a few notes in my note list that I want to merge.  I click one - I see the note in the bottom pane.  I click another.  I want to see this note's content in the bottom panel too, so that I can confirm that it is the note I want to merge.  Or delete, or tag, or whatever.  I use this functionality all the time at work.  The fact that I lose it means I won't be able to upgrade to the beta.

I tried setting the registry entry "ShowMultiSelectView" to 0 (I'm guessing that this is the one you meant). Per usual, exited and restarted Evernote. I found that Evernote was resetting the ShowMultiSelectView to 1 on a restart, so while the functionality may still be present, Evernote is making sure that it's one. Not sure whether that's intentional or not.

Other things that come to mind as I'm back on the 4.x version...

* being able to see the title, anywhere in the note - I need that.

* being able to see/edit/follow the URL with minimal mouse clicks.  In EN4 I show the URL/tag bar (Show Note Info) all the time - I use this to quickly follow the URL, or more rarely, edit it.  In EN5, I finally figured out that if I'm in the note body itself, I can't see the URL, but if I click in the header, the URL field showed up.  Okay, that was acceptable, if annoying.  But to edit the URL, I had to click the 'i' and then click some more from there.  Why hide so much?  The URL is an integral part of many notes

* Adding a tag using F3 was annoying.  I'm used to typing a few letters, using the up/down keys to select the tag, and then Enter to assign it.  Everytime I tried that in EN5, I got these new tags because "enter" just created a new tag with the few typed letters.  Instead, I learned eventually that you had to use the "tab" key to assign the tag

• Level 5*

* Adding a tag using F3 was annoying.  I'm used to typing a few letters, using the up/down keys to select the tag, and then Enter to assign it.  Everytime I tried that in EN5, I got these new tags because "enter" just created a new tag with the few typed letters.  Instead, I learned eventually that you had to use the "tab" key to assign the tag

these kinds of things are the most frustrating for keyboard jockeys because we have to retrain our hands to so something different to accomplish the same result. I don't get why any keyboard shortcuts have to change, unless it is a new one for a new feature. for example, there needs to be a new keyboard shortcut to scroll the left hand navigation pane all the way to the top since everything, including the kitchen sink, is in there and it makes it far FAR less useful for those of us with business accounts and hundreds and hundreds of tags that are showing 100% of the time.

(Yeah, I managed to work that issue back in there.  :P )

Two issues I haven't seen mentioned (might have missed them)

1. Toolbar customization disappears after boot

2. Search pop-down suggestions hangs around  after I have chosen a suggestion, need to dismiss it.

I tried setting the registry entry "ShowMultiSelectView" to 0 (I'm guessing that this is the one you meant). Per usual, exited and restarted Evernote. I found that Evernote was resetting the ShowMultiSelectView to 1 on a restart, so while the functionality may still be present, Evernote is making sure that it's one. Not sure whether that's intentional or not.

Worked for me. I can turn the multi select view off and it stays off. As always, File -> Exit.

being able to see/edit/follow the URL with minimal mouse clicks. In EN4 I show the URL/tag bar (Show Note Info) all the time - I use this to quickly follow the URL, or more rarely, edit it. In EN5, I finally figured out that if I'm in the note body itself, I can't see the URL, but if I click in the header, the URL field showed up. Okay, that was acceptable, if annoying. But to edit the URL, I had to click the 'i' and then click some more from there. Why hide so much? The URL is an integral part of many notes

There is a new registry key that puts the sourceURL back into the note info panel (i.e. visible)

ShowSourceUrlPrompt

I apologize if the item I'm about to mention have already been mentioned but there were 13 pages of comments which is a little too much for me to read.

My only thing to report is that when I'm entering in tags on a note there is a delay between when I type the note and when auto-complete suggestions pop-up.

Now a question, is there a newer beta build that 5.0.0.782?

I apologize if the item I'm about to mention have already been mentioned but there were 13 pages of comments which is a little too much for me to read.

My only thing to report is that when I'm entering in tags on a note there is a delay between when I type the note and when auto-complete suggestions pop-up.

Now a question, is there a newer beta build that 5.0.0.782?

Thanks for reporting!

And no newer build yet

I am using the beta version. For the past 2 days or so every time I go to start evernote, it installs. It then asks about using the existing database, and I say yes. it then runs fine until i close it. then the next time i click the icon to start the program it re installs! I tried running it from the start menu, and it did the same thing. I installed and then ran. any ideas what might be causing this ?

Appreciate any assistance that can be offered

Jerry

Anyone else having trouble sending email notes today?  EN is locking up after I try to send something.  (First try the message went out, the second try it didn't.)  Getting the "Session Completed" popup, but with the progress bar still scrolling, and 'cancel' is unresponsive.

Thank you for great work.

I want to write about my impressions of Evernote 5 beta

I am sorry for my english.

1. Plane designe is fashonably, but in Evernote V5 there is problem: different elements of interface has no evident borders, separators. Design is very, too very plane, pale and incomprehensible. As result time of searching of elements too large.

One (just one!) example: I have ~50 notebooks and more than 100 tags with complex structure. In Evernote V5 i can't find difference between tags and notes in my long tree. I should scroll main tree several times back-to-back before i will find where tags has beginning. In Evernote before V5 all notebooks have green icons and all tags was without icons - it is more more useful.

2. I can't find quick links on toolbar. New tree in left panel is not useful. I need see several notebooks and main tags for applying tags to notes. But also i need in quick filters. In this case new tree with filters in left panel will less useful tool than buttons in toolbar. Left part of evernote too heavy.

Hi dlu,

There have been lots of comments, problems, likes and dislikes posted on this topic in the last 3 weeks, any schedule for a new release that you can divuldge to us yet?

I'm considering rolling back to 4.6, but if there's a new release of 5, forthcoming, I'll wait a while.

Thanks,

Slim

Feature request that I am still hoping for:

Support hierarchical tag searches.  You already support a hierarchical tag structure.  A wonderful addition to that support would be to allow me to search for a parent tag and find all notes tagged with a child as well.

For example, if my tag structure looks like:

• Vehicles
    • Ford
    • Toyota

Then doing a note search for TAG:Toyota would find all notes tagged with Toyota.  But searching for TAG:Vehicles would give me all notes tagged with Vehicles, Ford or Toyota.  Since I often use hierarchical tags to tag subprojects within larger projects, this would really help me out.

Also, as has been pointed out earlier, when typing the first few characters of a tab, the lookup takes a long time (a couple of seconds for me) and you've changed the behavior of typing the first few characters of a tag (enough to get it unique) and then pressing Enter to accept that tag.  This used to work wonderfully, and for any of us using Evernote as a GTD system it saved a lot of time.

I don't mind the boring flat interface; it doesn't get in the way at least.  And I am not seeing much value in the Related Notes feature yet but perhaps I just have too many notes (about 13,000 right now).

Hi everyone, a two quick questions. (Sorry if they were asked, there are a lot of pages and the search doesn't bring up any results from this forum/ )

1. What are the beta hotkeys? Where can I find them? Especially for reminders
  2. I can see the reminders in each notebook; is there a way to see ALL reminders in ALL notebooks at once? 

Lastly, this is not really a question but wondering how people work: 

I often create reminders via the phone and these, as you know, create empty notes. Is there a way to delete the reminders WITH the notes? How do you people work around it, assuming that some of the reminders you use don't really need to be a note to begin with? 

Thanks!! 

Hey all,

Just an observation I had when installing the upgrade 5.0.0.980 When I do the upgrades should it be asking me to authenticate my account the first time it starts? Because all the upgrades I've done just start up the first time with no authentication required. That to me seems like a security hole. I might be wrong but it's something I noticed.

Thanks.

Hey all,

Just an observation I had when installing the upgrade 5.0.0.980 When I do the upgrades should it be asking me to authenticate my account the first time it starts? Because all the upgrades I've done just start up the first time with no authentication required. That to me seems like a security hole. I might be wrong but it's something I noticed.

Thanks.

What exactly do you mean by authenticate? Did you see our sign in dialog? Or perhaps two step verification?

And what version of Evernote were you running before?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived