(Archived) Evernote 5 beta Desktop for Windows - Feature Requests / bugs

dguillaume

Hi,

Just a list of things i would like to be customizable in the new Evernote 5 for Windows beta

Suggestions

1. View all notes without having to dislay the "Left Panel" (usefull for smaller screens)

2. Only show the editing toolbar when opening the note in a seperate window

3. Only show icons in toolbar (hide the sync activity and new note text)

4. Change size of search bar

Bugs

1. When maximised on Windows 8 bottom is hidden by taskbar - http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/39968-evernote-5-beta-window-too-huge/

• Level 5*

1. F6 will always clear the current search, and put you into the search control ready to type in a new one. Unfortunately, in V5, it will then pop up the search control recent/saved searches drop down, which you may not want. ESC dismisses that.

2. Some people edit in the normal window. I do.

3. Right-click on the toolbar, select "Customize", and remove any toolbar elements that you don't want.

• Level 5*

Right clicking on the toolbar lets you choose to "show labels" or not.

Right -- you got the correct interpretation that I missed. Thanks.
  • Level 5*

1. F6 will always clear the current search, and put you into the search control ready to type in a new one. Unfortunately, in V5, it will then pop up the search control recent/saved searches drop down, which you may not want. ESC dismisses that.

F6 "should" always clear the current search but doesn't in this beta.  If I first do a tag search and then press F6, the prior tag search is not cleared.

I've been using v5 for Windows for about a week now.  Shortcuts are a great idea.  The UI improvements look good.  

One thing I do not like is that the title bar of open notes no longer contains the note title.  This makes it difficult to tell apart multiple open notes.  In fact, you can't even tell what note you're looking at once you scroll down past the title area.  This really isn't functional -- please go back to putting the title on the title bar.

• Level 5*

F6 "should" always clear the current search but doesn't in this beta.  If I first do a tag search and then press F6, the prior tag search is not cleared.

What can I say? It does for me...

• Level 5*

What can I say? It does for me...

Hmmm, maybe this is it ...

If you use the search bar in the third pane to first search on a tag and then press F5, the first search by tag is cleared.  If you instead first search on a tag by using the "Click to filter by tag..." window in the second pane and then press F5, the search by tag is not cleared.  Not sure if that is intended or not.  I would think the global search key should clear all filters.

Right clicking on the toolbar lets you choose to "show labels" or not.

1. View all notes without having to dislay the "Left Panel" (usefull for smaller screens)

- Found the All otes button under customize

2. Only show the editing toolbar when opening the note in a seperate window

- Would like this as a preferance - Jefito

- Thanks TrantJD

4. Change size of search bar

- less of an issue now that i've turned off labels

• 2 weeks later...

+ 1 for not displaying recent searches when using the short-cut for search. I use that short-cut to make Evernote visible. In 5.0 the recent searches are presented in front of the note itself. Only the 5 most recent but I would prefer to have none.

A seperate short-cut to activate Evernote with nothing selected is also fine.

Adding my wish for 5.x:

A proper editor. Meaning:

• Better handling of tables (the current table management is unusable)
  • Correct copy/paste out of EN, into EN (ever tried to paste a note containing lists into Outlook?)
  • Highlighting (sigh ...)
  • Ability to show only the most used fonts on top of the font selector (no, I never used Harlow Solid Italic)
  • Styles (header 1-3, paragraph - fine for me)
  • Local anchors - good for long notes!

It's amazing that my web-based wordpress editor works better than the native Evernote editor...

Background: When I started using Evernote, I mostly used unstructured notes. I threw everything into EN, not caring about the layout. But now I'm using Evernote Business, sharing content with others in my team. Now I feel the pain of bringing a note in shape.

Edit: Just noticed (again): When notes are being synced, there's no way to continue editing. IMHO notes being edited should be excluded from syncing.

Is there any way to switch back to Windows interface? It seems that this new custom grey interface overrides Windows theme and no matter what theme is set (Aero or classic) it doesn't change. Maybe not a big issue, but it looks ugly!

Some time ago I've found another program that changed interface to very similar one (Foxit Reader) and it lets you choose between "ribbon" and "classic" (which is default Windows) interface. Something similar in EN would be great!

It's amazing that my web-based wordpress editor works better than the native Evernote editor...

I don't know why that should amaze you.  Wordpress is designed for formatting text.  That's like comparing MS Word or Excel to Evernote.  Word & Excel are designed to format text or make spreadsheets.  Evernote is designed to collect, organize & retrieve information.

I don't know why that should amaze you.  Wordpress is designed for formatting text.  That's like comparing MS Word or Excel to Evernote.  Word & Excel are designed to format text or make spreadsheets.  Evernote is designed to collect, organize & retrieve information.

I think that being able to format my notes into intuitive and visually appealing documents (by being able to create more than just a rudimentary table, or grab the corner of a picture to make it smaller, as examples), helps me be better able to collect and organize that information better. The formatting options in OneNote keep calling me back to that platform. I don't want Evernote to be a desktop publishing client, but would love the application even more if I could create notes that weren't quite so ugly. 

I've listened to Phil Libin talk about Evernote being a 100 year company. I hope that I don't have to wait that long to have better formatting options in my notes.  :)

I'm experiencing something on my system that seems like a bug:

When I add an existing tag to a note, I get the type-ahead fill in feature like we've always had in Evernote. In the beta, however, if I hit enter to accept the suggestion, it creates a new tag with a shortened name. 

An example that just bit me occurred when I went to add my "Assemble Launch Team" tag to a note. I started typing, and got to "Assem" before I noticed that the right tag was being suggested, so I hit enter. My note was now tagged with a new tag titled, "Assem." 

I'm just glad that I didn't hit enter after typing only three letters instead of 5.   ;)

Evernote clearly has pretensions to be a note editor, at the very least. The evidence is in the presence of the formatting functions. The problem is that they're adequate at best and many of us have a desire for them to be improved.

My primary use of Evernote is to take notes, mostly typing directly into Evernote itself and formatting the text as I see fit. The lack of styles and decent table, image, list features, etc is hugely frustrating. andreb's point is perfectly valid. Even this forum's editor has superscript and subscript features which aren't present in EN and that are a pain to work around.

The EN5 beta release is particularly depressing for people like me. Despite the many requests for highlighting, better editing and so on, the developers have decided to put their efforts into making EN5 look like a dog's dinner instead. It's obvious they're not really listening to their customers: I don't recall seeing overwhelming requests on these forums for tiny scroll bars and a flat colourless redesign, for example. Most of the other oft-requested features are not present in the beta.

I don't enjoy being this critical, EN is my primary work tool and there's still some way to go before I'd feel forced to jump ship to OneNote or something else. But the direction they're going with EN5 doesn't fill me with confidence.

just to say I agree with this 

used evernote since 2006 and premium for years and thought the editor would have improved by now, but I guess other stuff is the priority.  I'm moving more and more stuff to note editors like rightnote stored on things like dropbox and skydrive just to get a bit more flexibility of text entry.

the note title is just irritating - i used to tab down from that to the note content, now that goes to the notebook list if you don't have the note opened in another window which is huh?  why would you ever think that was the best thing.  I'm trying to find what keyboard shortcut lets me navigate from the note title to the note content

I think that being able to format my notes into intuitive and visually appealing documents (by being able to create more than just a rudimentary table, or grab the corner of a picture to make it smaller, as examples), helps me be better able to collect and organize that information better. The formatting options in OneNote keep calling me back to that platform. I don't want Evernote to be a desktop publishing client, but would love the application even more if I could create notes that weren't quite so ugly. 

I've listened to Phil Libin talk about Evernote being a 100 year company. I hope that I don't have to wait that long to have better formatting options in my notes.  :)

yeah I agree, I've been using Evernote since 2006 and we're not looking for full blown word type word processor functionality but every other app like this I've used lets me do something more flexibly with tables and isn't so full of bugginess when trying to enter lots of text and format it nice.  So you end up doing all that stuff in other files and storing them in evernote, which then, although evernote sync is awesome, there are things designed for just that like google drive, dropbox, skydrive which can do that job well.

Archived