Idea

Hi All,

You may have noticed that all threads requesting RTL (right-to-left) support have been merged into this thread, regardless of platform specificity. 

This was done in order to better enable us to quantify and qualify user requests, and amplify their voice.

While this does not mean this is a feature that will be coming, we certainly want to relay user feedback/sentiment to our various teams.

Moving forward, please put all commentary and votes for RTL (right-to-left) support here!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

This feature is necessary, Arabic language should be fully supported,

especially in mobile app where the text can't actually be written from right to left.

Evernote Please update us regarding RIGHT TO LEFT !

Millions of users worldwide have been waiting for it for years!

• Like 1

THIS IS NECESSARY 

IF EVERNOTE WANTS TO REACH ALL LANGUAGES IT HAS TO FULLY SUPPORT RTL FORMATTING 

EVERNOTE, PLEASE!

Well it seems Evernote is not a serious product. I have been using the good Quickmemo app in my LG, but it's not compatible with other Androids. Thought Evernote would be the solution for writing notes, including pictures, sketching, etc., and started using it.

However, the app is USELESS without RTL support. You just cannot work with it. Whenever you try to add words to a written text it puts them in the opposite side.

It's a shame that an app like this does not support Hebrew, Arabic & Persian, even though the request was sent 6 years ago!

You lose me as a user. I will look for a better app.

• Like 1

THIS FEATURE IS REQUESTED FOR LONG TIME!!

IM THINKING SADLY I WILL MOVE TO ONENOTE BECAUSE OF THIS :(

• Like 1

WE NEED THIS!!

We're in 2019 already, if this is not implemented soon, then Evernote will lose a huge customer base.

Many people are going to start using the internet now 24/7 and many apps will go bankrupt because not enough people are using their services. It is not just English and LTR languages out there, there's TONS of RTL languages!

EVERNOTE WE WANNA USE YOU BUT YOU MAKE IT HARD FOR US!w

This feature is being requested frequently for a couple of years. The most promising reply so far can be found here, where EN says:

"We are currently evaluating the ability to add RTL support to our applications (RTL input at least)" (October 2011).

This is definitely more than just "thank you" but still not enough.. B)

However there is some workaround for RTL, provided that one is ready to use the web client in Chrome (see here), as follows:

1. While in Google Chrome, sign into your web account.

2. Press right-control+shift, and start typing RTL (right-to-left).

3. To get back to English-style LTR press left-control+shift.

BTW There is an add-on for Firefox - Force RTL - which presumably works with FF 3. I tried it (a year ago) with FF 7, just in case, but it didn't work..

Good luck.

• Like 1

On 11/16/2016 at 1:31 AM, Matt W. said:

Hi @ghalibmeer,

We are still working on this for a future update. I will let you know as more develops.

Hi @ghalibmeer

when do you think this (RTL support) will be available?

i need to see it before updating my subscription. 

I agree with all above requests,Its very important to support RTL / Arabic language

In my computer if you press CTRL + Shift (the shift on the right), it will change to RTL writing. And if you press CTRL + Shift (the shift on the left), it will return to LTR writing. But I don't know what to do with the version for android.

• Like 2

On 7/4/2018 at 8:03 PM, Lucas Cardoso said:

In my computer if you press CTRL + Shift (the shift on the right), it will change to RTL writing. And if you press CTRL + Shift (the shift on the left), it will return to LTR writing. But I don't know what to do with the version for android.

On 12/24/2016 at 7:29 PM, Roy2012 said:

+ 1. I have the same need - writing right-to-left languages, on Mac, in Evernote. 

thanks a lot for briliant temperory solution

• Like 1

it means that you will be working on it?

No, it means he is thanking you for the suggestion.

• Like 1

I am able to use Evernote with Persian. But when my texts have some Unicode Control Characters, theses characters are lost at save.

Hi,

I am not using evernote 100% specially for the missing of right to left.

All the other note taking app have this geature updated, and evernote not.

Example of app : together, Notebook, Markdown Pro, Yojimbo, deJumble ....

Best Regards,

• Like 1

Hi,

I am not using evernote 100% specially for the missing of right to left.

All the other note taking app have this geature updated, and evernote not.

Example of app : together, Notebook, Markdown Pro, Yojimbo, deJumble ....

Best Regards,

You may want to try the latest Evernote Android beta, if you have an Android device, because it looks like Evernote has included RTL support in it.

• Like 1

That's exactly what's missing in Evernote in my opinion. And that's exactly why I use OneNote

• Like 3

That's exactly what's missing in Evernote in my opinion. And that's exactly why I use OneNote

it seems that i have to do so, numbers, english characters and ... are really messed in tables due to lack of RTL support!

You may want to try the latest Evernote Android beta, if you have an Android device, because it looks like Evernote has included RTL support in it.

It is partial LTR - the text behaves well, but bullets don't.

Also when you open it from the Windows client it doesn't show it right.

It is strange that we can use RTL in the iOS app but can't in Windows.

With other apps it used to be the other way around.

It us really is a serious limitation, especially since Microsoft supports it within Windows.

Any ideas when this support be added?

Itay

I'm also considering should I continue with this app - after using it for a long time. RTL is the way I write, and its impossible to use an LTR only app.

• Like 1

I am getting ready for Evrenote Devcup by addressing this issue. I have developed an application called NimbleBox. NimbleBox is an easiest and quickest way of taking notes in the window with special support for Right-to-left languages! Just press Ctrl+Shift and type your note.

Check out the website: http://nimblebox.me

Check out the Demo Video: http://nimblebox.me/...box-demo-video/

Please do add this feature - it's long overdue.

Lack of L2R is really preventing myself and countless others from fully integrating this amazing tool.

I'll have to explore using OneNote to create my notes in the meanwhile..though I'd love to use the Evernote Interface

Thank You

• Like 1

I cant find the setting in onenote on android which has rtl support. I write notes predominantly on my tablets.

Although I really appreciate all your good functionalities and features of your application, Shame to you Evernote for not supporting RTL.

• Like 2

Being said that it is a shame for Evernote not to support RTL, I have found a workaround for that problem.

• Create an RTL file in another application and put multiple line breaks (hit "Enter" key multiple times) to create a large space for you to write/edit.
  • Then copy that file's content to a new note in Evernote, and name it "RTL sample note" for example.
  • Every time you need to create a new RTL file, copy that note to the required notebook and start editing it in RTL format.

Have a good time.  :) 

• Like 2

Evernote should be aware that it is loosing million Arabic, Hebrew and Persian speaking people.

what's the big deal to support RTL anyway? it's 2014 not 1988... ^_^

• Like 1

Hi there everybody,

I just updated my macs' Evernote to the latest version, and something has changed.

Usually I'm writing in Hebrew. I had an option to set the paragraph direction to RTL (sadly, no such default option), and that would have set the note format to be kind of RTL note (kind-of because not all things worked correctly and some worked partially).

Now, with the new version, it still aligns the text to the right, but the "numbering" and "bulleting" does not work well.

As always, I select the entire text in the note editor, right click the selected text and chose "Paragraph Direction" -> "Right to left", This is causing the numbers to align to the right, and text will align to the left. Horrible :(

And there's this new option (or I just haven't saw it) which makes the note "plain text" .. what is this ?

Thank you for any help.

Shauli Antar

post-241384-0-24529400-1418627430_thumb.

suffering from the same problem,

doesn't seem to bother EN too much...

not even a single replay from any stuff member for over two months... :/

its nice to be a paying costumer yeah!

This was mentioned before but you can edit right to left in the Evernote web app.

Afterwards you can go on editing the note in the app for Mac or Windows and it will maintain Right to Left.

Hi.  Sorry this topic seemed to get forgotten in the general traffic on the forums.  As to the OP's question on 'what does plain text do?' - that would be exactly what it says on the can.  Content gets converted to plain text - no bold,  italic or large text.  Try it out on some test text to see the full effect.  As to the buggy RTL situation,  check that you're up to date with the latest version of Evernote (downloaded from Evernote.com) and of the problem still exists I suggest you submit a bug report on this.  You won't get any follow-up,  but it does mean that the devs will take a look at your situation and (hopefully) fix it in a future release...  submit a bug/ lost data report by choosing "report a bug..." in the first dropdown after logging in here> https://www.evernote.com/SupportLogin.action

Premium / Business users also have access to a Chat option (7am-7pm PST weekdays) - click 'continue' on the support page after logging in.
  • Like 1

Hi

Evernote program is very good and has many features. but there is a problem for Right-to-Left languages. which languages are rtl ? answer: Farsi(Persian) and Arabic. in evernote we can set align to right, but there is not any ltr to rtl changer and when be this problem the dot of end of sentence go first, and some other. Please add 'rtl direction' item to toolbox. Thankfully.

• Like 2

I started working with Evernote on my Desktop (Windows).

It looks promissing, but lacks RTL support in the note Title and Editor, so not friendly to RTL languages.

Is this part of the product limitations or can I achieve this somehow?

Thanks!

Mor

• Like 3

Hi.  RTL support is sadly lacking for the moment - it may be on a back burner somewhere,  but Evernote don't usually share their work in progress or likely release dates...

hey

were is support???

i paid you my money

and

i waiting in 5 month ago.

so

WHY YOU DON"T ATTINATION TO OUR PROBLEM????

WHERE IS RTL DIRECTION TEXT ???

WHERE IS NEW UPDATE EITH FOCUS ON THIS BOLLSHIT PROBLEM????????

I started using Evernote a few months ago for dissertation research that involves using Arabic. I was pleasantly surprised to see that Arabic is supported, even on Mac, in terms of correctly displaying and connecting the letters. I have also been able to change the paragraph direction (RTL) by right clicking and selecting for it.

What is annoying, and what I'm hoping Evernote will address, is the fact that you have to go through this cumbersome right-click>paragraph direction>RTL process every time you switch languages. It would be brilliant (and other software does this) that selecting for a new language automatically puts it into the correct paragraph direction. I hope that's a feature that will come out soon? It will make for a much smoother user experience! 

• Like 1

Hey Wazi, thanks for the input.

I cannot find the RTL in the right-click menu.

Are you in the Desktop application? How do you find it?

Mor

I am using the desktop application (premium account) on a mac. When working within a note, I right-click, select "Paragraph direction," and then select "right to left." 

I also just tried it on the web-based version. There, when you right-click, you can select "writing direction"and then "right to left."

Hope this helps!

Well, must be a trait of Mac then. I don't have "Paragraph direction" on the menu, only paragraph alignment...

:(

Thanks!

On 10/4/2012 at 1:49 PM, helix said:

However there is some workaround for RTL, provided that one is ready to use the web client in Chrome (see here), as follows:

1. While in Google Chrome, sign into your web account.

2. Press right-control+shift, and start typing RTL (right-to-left).

3. To get back to English-style LTR press left-control+shift.

Thanks @helix this works fine for me but I think it would be great if Evernote will make their Windows App RTL supportive.

• Like 1

@Muhammad Darwish - are you using a PC or a Mac? I've had full RTL support on Evernote (Mac, premium version, works on both desktop and web-based). 

it's seems right to left does exist- but there are many problems related to aligning, numbering, bullets and text direction. i think you should let some right-to-left language users test the system and show you the bugs. if you need examples, screenshots etc.- i would be glad to assist.

thanks!

So what's the story with rtl support?

coming or not?

I use Evernote In OS X, Windows and iOS, webapp couple of times in linux. 

Still no real rtl support yet on those devices. This is really frustrating for me as paying customer, 'coz I need that.

If it's not coming, I have to look up for alternatives and take my money to there.

Hello,

I'm not sure that it's the place but I would like to request such a feature

The right to left support is very lacking currently in the mac app -

1. You can't set in first place that the text is right to left (you have to do it after the text was created)
  2. When you add bullets - all becomes very messy... The bullets only allow left to right 

It would be highly appreciated by all Israeli users

Thanks!

Vit

I am writing from right to left in Hebrew.

since this morning (after an upgrade of evernote I believe?) all my notes are shown from left to right and I can not read them.

I have evernote plus.

the problem appears in my windows pc and in my android Samsung galaxy as well.

please help how to write and show my notes from right to left as I did till today.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Hello @aptowizard and @meirjean,

Thank you for posting. To make sure we are all on the same page, this started after a recent update to Evernote on Android, correct? Or did this start after an update to another Evernote application on a different device?

Do your notes still appear correctly on the Evernote website?

• Like 1

Thank you @Matt W. for the attention,

This indeed started after the update to the Android app - I believe it has to do with your new editor, right after you guys posted that there's a new editor the issue started .

Writing & editing on the web is fine..

BTW - notes that were written in the past & are accessed now through the app are still ok - they are aligned to the right as they should but just new notes cannot be aligned to right.

Editing anything in Hebrew or Arabic is impossibly confusing (clicking at the end of a line will start typing at its beginning & the other way around).

I have high hopes with you helping Matt - I use the app all the time & would hate to have to switch service (300 million right-to-left language speakers would probably have to do the same..)

A big thank you in advance!!!

(p.s. I would be happy to help with any further questions until resolution, I'm also sure it's not a specific issue with me - opened Evernote at a friend's android phone & it's the same..)

Hello @meirjean,

I definitely understand where you are coming from on this. We are currently looking into this and working on a solution.

• Like 1

Something went wrong. No more RTL support. I use to write a lot in Hebrew but now it's impossible! Please fix this it can be done.

-Who's with me?

• Like 1

Thanks again @Matt W.!

Don't know if this helps but here's more info:

Your Windows desktop program always had some confusing issues with Right-to-Left texts - the cursor doesn't follow the text while typing but is instead stationary, remaining at the beginning of the line (which is very confusing for editing) & placing the cursor at the beginning of a line produces the same effect as the new Android update does (it starts writing at the end of the line instead - placing it at the end starts writing at the beginning..)

I've come to terms with this & although it could sometimes be really uncomfortable it's somehow manageable. (your Windows App BTW is perfect & doesn't have this problem at all but is just less comfortable with a non touch screen..)

Hope this helps & can't wait for the Android app to come back to normal - maybe on the way you might fix the Windows program cursor issue also!

Hi

the problem still exist in my android.

the button of alignment is missing in the android while it does appear in the web or in the pc windows.

in my case all my previous notes which were written from write to left appear now in the pc windows and in the android from left to write.

the note on the web also appear the wrong way - from left to right.

that means it is impossible to read them.

I suppose it all began when there was an update in the android but I am not sure.

thanks Matt.

• Like 1

I've got the same problem just about 4 days ago. Moreover, my previous notes (that were right-to-left) are now left-to-right?!!

Using android...

• Like 1

Hello @meirjean,

It is currently "in-progress", which means we are working on it. I will keep you all posted as soon as I am briefed on it.

• Like 2

i have alot of notes written in arabic and i used to write arabic from right to left but after I updated my app to 7.9.1 it is no longer available ... i have to write arabic from left to right, it is so annoying.

Please fix this issue asap

Hey guys at Evernote, Any estimation regarding the RTL Support? 

I'm using the Mac version and it's really needed! Thanks.

• Like 2

On 5/20/2016 at 8:56 AM, Adambe said:

Something went wrong. No more RTL support. I use to write a lot in Hebrew but now it's impossible! Please fix this it can be done.

-Who's with me?

I'm defiantly with you!! We are in 2016 and still don't have rtl support

• Like 1

Hello @Mohammed Hassan,

Thank you for posting and welcome to the forums. It is currently "in progress" which means it is being looked into right now by the team. Once more details are made available I will be sure to post on the post mentioned by @Dave-in-Decatur.

Lots of support but no clicks.  To make an impact here,  please use the voting counter at the top left -

click.png

• Like 1

HI,

I see this is an old discussion, but I was just trying to look for a solution for the same problem.

I am writing a list in Hebrew and it would be nice if it aligned on the right side.

I have tried the right click on a list in a new note or editing an existing list but I'm not finding how to get it to align on the right.

I have recently updated my evernote so I believe I have the latest version.

Thanks, Elana

Working on Windows desktop and don't have RTL support. Why not?

Would love for this feature to be added. May not renew if its not added next year.

• Like 1

Me too! 
I will NOT Renew my subscription, If Evernote will not implement. This is getting ridiculous having text virtually unreadable for RTL Languages. Evernote is lagging far behind on this one.. 
  • Like 1

On 19. kesäkuuta 2016 at 4:40 AM, gazumped said:

Lots of support but no clicks.  To make an impact here,  please use the voting counter at the top left -

click.png

Thanks. Done that.

• Like 1

On 6/2/2016 at 8:56 PM, Matt W. said:

Hello @meirjean,

It is currently "in-progress", which means we are working on it. I will keep you all posted as soon as I am briefed on it.

Hi @Matt W.,

Anything?

-Meir-

• Like 1

6 hours ago, meirjean said:

Hi @Matt W.,

Anything?

-Meir-

Hi Meir,

We are testing this out currently, but there is not any specific time frame I am able to provide on a release. Once I know more, I will be sure to let you all know.

Thanks!

• Like 1

I also would like very much to be able to use Evernote in my Anderoid cellular but the only-left alignment makes it impossible.

I would appreciate if you would add a "change alignment" button, so right-alignment users, such as Hebrew and Arabic can use Evernote.

db

I use the Windows, Mac and Android versions and have been having RTL issues for years now. Generally speaking, paragraph direction isn't saved on notes. If you change it once in one place, it won't remember it.

Also Evernote Web doesn't support RTL very well.

This is kind of a problem since I find it hard to recommend Evernote to my primarily Hebrew-speaking friends and colleagues...

• Like 1

Adiron: Have you experienced this on the desktop version? I'm also curious if you're using free vs. premium. I use Evernote on a daily basis in Arabic (desktop, premium version) and have never had an issue with it reverting to the wrong paragraph direction. I'm wondering if the glitch is specific to Hebrew, for some reason? Sorry I can't offer a solution. I'm just curious why RTL seems to be a problem for some users and not others, since I also recommend Evernote to colleagues who work in RTL languages. 

I am an Arabic user and I would like to see Arabic fully supported in upcoming release of Evernote. I could use Arabic for notes but It appears in LTR direction. also Evernoe couldn't recognize scanable documents and cars for the lack of Arabic letter OCR. Arabic letter is used beside Arabic by Urdu, and Persian and other languages.

No Hebrew support in either the Windows or Android apps!
Took me forever to try Evernote because I was an avid OneNote user.
Finally decided to try it, and to my horror, realized there is no RTL support....

On the Windows app, you can justify the text to the right, which is half of the way - but the punctuation still displays at the beginning of the line...

On the Android app, you can't even do that...

There is no way I'm paying for this app until this is fixed, and probably not going to wait for it either.....

Pitty, because other than that, it's fantastic.

Looking back in the forum, I see that this issue has been raised way back in 2012 already - I would have expected Evernote to fix this problem, not for the measly Hebrew speaking market share, but for the huge, HUGE, Arabic speaking market share....

• Like 3

Hi @Matt W.,

I appreciate your efforts but this is just to let you know it's the first time I'm not renewing my premium account & I'm sad to say it

's for this reason :(

I've also stopped recommending Evernote to friends - I don't want them to be as frustrated as me with so much data with you already with just trying to figure out a way to transfer it to another service..

Good luck resolving this super critical issue for millions of users, if I've not completely moved to another service I would be sure to renew it once it resolves..

Please keep us posted.. :(

• Like 1

Hi @Matt W.

I am experiencing the same issue as well, months after the problem was first reported.

This is a major degradation of the app. Is a fix expected in the near future? 

• Like 1

Hello @Talr,

The team is still working on the integration aspect, as this covers all the platforms that use the note editor. I will keep you all posted once I hear more.

• Like 1

I am in trouble in using Arabic at Evernote for Mac because it does not support inputting from right to left.

Therefore, I am forced to use Evernote Web in Google Chrome because that is the only version in which I can select writing from left or from right.

(I could not find the same option in other browsers including Firefox and Safari...)

After using Chrome, I see Arabic sentences wrote from right in other versions including Mac; so I believe that it will not be a difficult issue for developers to add this option.

I really hope this option will be introduced to all the versions you offer, considering that the fee was raised.

Thank you.

On 11/16/2016 at 2:31 AM, Matt W. said:

Hi @ghalibmeer,

We are still working on this for a future update. I will let you know as more develops.

Thank you Matt, We'll be wating ;)

• Like 1