Add right to left direction support

mostafa

Idea

I can't believe we are more than half way through 2020, and we still don't have RTL

A huge population of Arabic and Hebrew speakers who might feel as if evernote simply dosn't care much for us, as its been more than 5 years and still no support. 

• Thanks 1
21 hours ago, Ali Mayali said:

I just installed the latest beta version, I was hoping for the RTL support but unfortunately its worse now. Ctrl+right shift wont turn text direction. Deleting app now.

1. Not only on the beta version.
2. But only yesterday.
It has happened to me, yesterday , September 3rd, on the stable Windows version (6.25.1.9091 win 7 x64)
Today, September 4th it is working fine.

It will be helpful if more users report on their experience on the next few days (beta and non-beta users).

Actually I had to start use OneNote coz of it's RTL support. I don't need Evernote system to be totally Arabic but at least they can provide a feature which let us use Arabic inside our own notes. I'm learning Arabic as a second language and I need to take my notes in Arabic sometimes. Before yearly subscription I spent hours to compare, in conclusion I did prefer Evernote, but when I start to learn Arabic, it is being unusable. Anyhow, it is enough to get used to a new system for human -being if you give enough time.

3 hours ago, gazumped said:

? Apart from completely rewriting their software packages for all platforms so that this sort of feature can be added once rather than 5 times in different operating systems ?  They rolled out v10 a couple of months ago and are now adding new features every couple of weeks...

Lets hope RTL languages support will be one of the those new features but until then I'll stick to my Evernote for windows 6.25.9091 because although RTL is not fully supported in 6.25 (for example adding bullet lists and numbered lists make a mess of the note) I still can use right-ctrl-shift to add RTL text whereas it is reported that this "workaround" doesn't work on that new v10.
See "new version has broken RTL - Evernote for Windows Issues (Versions 10.0 and above) - Evernote User Forum" - https://discussion.evernote.com/forums/topic/130836-new-version-has-broken-rtl/

• Like 1

Is Evernote considering right to left languages like Persian (Farsi)?

It is annoying that when you write right to left in evernote, all the bullet points, paraghraphs looks weired and not readable.

P.s: I am Premium member since 2019 and working with Evernote since 2014. and still waiting for this change.

• Like 1

I get it. Probably a lot of work is needed for this feature and there are not as many users who are going to use RTL feature but still many like me love using Evernote but to write in Persian or Arabic etc, they have to use a different application.

On 12/8/2020 at 9:05 AM, iShachar said:

Hi man, 

What app and OS are you using? 

I use the Mac app (see version below) and I cannot change the text direction to be RTL

v 10.4.3 build 458395 public
Editor: v112.1.14477
Service: v1.23.6
© 2019 - 2020 Evernote Corporation. All rights reserved

any solution?

Hi, 

I am having the same problem on my Mac (desktop and web). 

I have lost so much study time, I think I am ditching it, email me when there are any new updates ;)

On 9/5/2018 at 12:05 AM, Shane D. said:

Hi All,

You may have noticed that all threads requesting RTL (right-to-left) support have been merged into this thread, regardless of platform specificity. 

This was done in order to better enable us to quantify and qualify user requests, and amplify their voice.

While this does not mean this is a feature that will be coming, we certainly want to relay user feedback/sentiment to our various teams.

Moving forward, please put all commentary and votes for RTL (right-to-left) support here!

There's this thread too
Windows version used to have a solution where you could ctrl+shift on the right side of the keyboard but it's not working anymore

2 hours ago, me@alexkubica.com said:

Unfortunately not. Please share here if you have any updates 

Guys if you could upvote this issue so it will get more recognition it would be great :)

• Level 5*

Don't know if we suggested it at some point in this narrative,  but has anyone thought of using an external RTL editor and saving the source file in an Evernote note?  If the editor outputs to searchable PDF files,  the documents would even be searchable - definitely for subscribers,  maybe for free users...

• Like 2
19 hours ago, gazumped said:

Don't know if we suggested it at some point in this narrative,  but has anyone thought of using an external RTL editor and saving the source file in an Evernote note?  If the editor outputs to searchable PDF files,  the documents would even be searchable - definitely for subscribers,  maybe for free users...

Do you mean - dragging a docx file to evernote? It just adds it as a file, not as text (unless there is something I do not know about and you can share). 
If you mean copy and pasting - I have tried that and this doesn't work. 

I contacted Evernotes support and they recommend to try and installed the legacy version of evernote.

In the meantime, I'd like to offer the Legacy version of Evernote. While we encourage everyone to give the new Evernote app a try, we recognize that there are some scenarios where using an older version is necessary or desired.

You can download the Evernote Legacy app by following the instructions in this Help & Learning article: Install an older version of Evernote.

You may install the older version of Evernote, and check if it works fine. Reverting back to the older version of Evernote is the option that we offer whenever some functionalities are not available in the new version.

Pros: The app is able to use rtl properly 🎉 (tested on a mac big sur)! 
By selecting the text => right click => paragraph direction => Right to left. 
Cons: the newer version has way more awesome features like not displaying the whole pdf file when dragged to a note (makes adding the lectures pdfs in my summaries for example). 

Hope this comment helps others and by the time that our storage gets full - Evernote will release a fix for that and we'll all get the premium ;). 

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, haul said:

It just adds it as a file, not as text (unless there is something I do not know about and you can share).

21 hours ago, gazumped said:

If the editor outputs to searchable PDF files

...It will be visible as text,  and may even be searchable - depending on your subscription level.  I'm also using the 'old' Windows version so I don't know how Win v10 operates.

4 hours ago, gazumped said:

...It will be visible as text,  and may even be searchable - depending on your subscription level.  I'm also using the 'old' Windows version so I don't know how Win v10 operates.

Hmmm I am not sure if I understand your last comment. I can open text files in evernote - not as files but as texts?

• Level 5*
51 minutes ago, haul said:

Hmmm I am not sure if I understand your last comment. I can open text files in evernote - not as files but as texts?

What I meant was that you can save or print most word processor files as PDF "portable document format" files which - depending on your device and account type - will be indexed and displayed in a note in an 'inline' window.  However what you said is also correct - if you attach a text file to Evernote it will be displayed as text - though not (AFAIK) using RTL.  You may have to experiment a little to find a method that suits your needs.

Earlier versions had the possibility to write from Right to Left, and by that be accessible for users who write in Hebrew, Arabic & Persian.
The new versions don't have this feature anymore.
After years of use, I'm now not using it anymore. sad.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
20 hours ago, sza said:

Let's get real. Users that need RTL are not their target users so they don't care.

Everyone is a target user - it's just that we targets have so many priorities that it takes a while to catch up...  And Evernote have NEVER offered any indication of what might or might not be in the pipeline before it actually hit the streets.  (Apart from announcing v10 last year...)

After a long time waiting for this feature it seems Evernote team won't do anything about it. I solve it my self by a little trick.

In chrome browser right click on note area and select inspect. Then find and select body tag inside iframe tag. then on the right pane on element.style add this css:

direction: rtl;

Problem Solved ! :)

As an old time Evernote user  I'm still waiting for the day Evernote listen to us. I am still using old version of Evernote windows and android due to its incompatibilities to RTL text. I didn’t upgrade my account to premium again until the time Evernote do something for this problem. Leaving Evernote and switching to thousands alternative outside? I am thinking about that, but I still hopeful for the day…

• Like 2
On 10/8/2020 at 11:59 AM, roniz5 said:

I simply cannot grasp how can Evernote simply not care about so many thousands of people around the globe - all Arabic, Hebrew, Persian speakers are having terrible experience and not only waste so much time every day trying to work-around the proboem, but more than that - it's a terrible feeling of helplessness and insult. You simply do not give a damn about us. 

The old editor had some very painful issues with that, and I wrote to you many times in the past few years asking to improve. 
Now that you have launched a totally new editor, I was very hopeful - but to my huge disappointment, the Right-to-Left support is now much much much worse !!

Please do try it yourself - please try to choose a Semitic language and try to write from right to left. 
The sentences are written right-to-left, but they start from left. Bullets to start each item are on the left, so I see them at the end of each sentence instead of its beginning. All punctuation marks (.,!?) jump to the start of the sentence instead of its end. And mixing English words in between Semitic words simply cause a total chaos. 

The new editor is simply impossible to work with for Semitic language speakers. 
I am still trying, since Evernote is extremely important to me, but I am very close to give up and move to a different solution. 

Best regards,
Roni

exactly my words!!
I am suffering with it for a long time 

I'm a payed member for so many years and the experience I have is bad

I have so many folders and notes that I can even think about moving and that is a huge problem.

the NOTES on the iPhone is working wonderful and great but lakes important features that I most have.

I am so desperate that I am willing to pay extra for them to add RTL support.

back in the early days it worked fine.... 

• Like 1

I am suffering for not having it a long time 

I'm a payed member for so many years since 2011 and the experience I have is bad

I have so many folders and notes that I can even think about moving and that is a huge problem.

the NOTES on the iPhone is working wonderful and great but lakes important features that I most have.

I am so desperate that I am willing to pay extra for them to add RTL support.

back in the early days it worked fine.... 

4 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

You have my sympathy for your request - but please don’t double post.

Double post?

It's my first post...I replied to a different one.

Anyhow they should notice us it's about time 

• Level 5

I agree, this should get some priority.

You posted an answer to another post that was nearly 1:1 the same as your posting.

Furthermore there is already at least one thread about RTL. Maybe you search it and add your vote - probably better than to start yet another one, splitting up votes.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5

EN only very rarely posts information in the forum. If they do, they are visible by a "Staff" badge at their user.

Usually it is some here & now stuff. EN usually does not tell about any features that may be in the development pipeline.

Yes please! I considered to purchase the app, but without support of RTL there's no way. even as a regular user...
such an elementary feature. I was shocked to read in the forums that this is an on-going problem...

• Level 5

Although I personally support that feature request - we should not exaggerate: An average of one supporting voice every other month does not yet make it a choir.

You better use the feedback function as well.

• Level 5

My sympathy - although it is a completely senseless action in terms of promoting this feature.

But if you feel better …

More productive would be to post alternative apps that support it. Why not, we have exchanged ideas about alternatives here in the past as well. If RTL is important for you, why not share this experience.

• Evernote Expert

Since it has been a long term request which had not been offered I guess that means you'll be moving to a new note taking application. It is fair to expect no action on this on the near future.

On 11.06.2022 at 11:23, agsteele said:

Поскольку это был долгосрочный запрос, который не был предложен, я думаю, это означает, что вы перейдете к новому приложению для создания заметок. Справедливо ожидать никаких действий по этому поводу в ближайшем будущем.

we are still here and we are still hoping for a solution to the problem! I can't believe this thread is still relevant...

It's really hard to believe that after all this time Evernote still hasn't put the effort in making this app RTL friendly.
This is not about lack of resources, or technical solutions. 
It's sheer disrespect.
As soon as I'll have the time to transfer all my information to a different app I will - and would advise any other RTL user to do so.

• Like 2
  • Level 5

Nobody promised anything, no timeline was issued. Why it‘s now time to switch defeats my imagination.

If a feature important for your use case is missing, choosing a different app seems the natural thing to do - at any time. To remind EN this feature IS important for many users, feedback through the app or a support ticket are the best options.

• Level 5

Posting this in the forum will go mainly ignored. There are only other users here.

If you want to promote your cause (which I support), send feedback from the app, or issue a support ticket (which requires a subscription for technical issues).

I wish I thought that would help. I tried that more than once. I don’t think they care - it’s all about the numbers. Back then, when they had a small user base, and there weren’t many apps that supported RTL it was worth their time. Now, they have enough users and just don’t care. I personally have hundreds of notes that are next to useless because they stopped supporting that. Those notes would not have been saved in Evernote if RTL wasn’t supported in the first place! 
so no, I don’t think they care but by all means - please everyone- go write a feedback!

• Level 5

I think it’s more a question of priorities: They had some urgent issues to solve, like the syncing problems, and a huge technical debt on the server software.

They are now talking about a new UI, and ask for feedback. Maybe this is another chance to remind them of all the - current and potential - users who natively use RTL languages.

I've given up on Evernote now that they're forcing me to update from the Legacy version to newer versions that don't support RTL. For those of you in similar situations, I've switched to Joplin - it has a similar UI to Evernote, and supports RTL. Plus it's free! Took me a while to import nearly 1000 notebooks, but so far it seems like I've found my solution. 

P.S. I tried switching to Microsoft OneNote first, but kept getting stuck when trying to import notebooks, so I gave up.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Level 5
9 hours ago, Chazz said:

I've given up on Evernote now that they're forcing me to update from the Legacy version to newer versions that don't support RTL. For those of you in similar situations, I've switched to Joplin - it has a similar UI to Evernote, and supports RTL. Plus it's free! Took me a while to import nearly 1000 notebooks, but so far it seems like I've found my solution. 

P.S. I tried switching to Microsoft OneNote first, but kept getting stuck when trying to import notebooks, so I gave up.

But this feature request was first posted in 2012, 8 years before the newer version came out. As far as I remember, RTL hadn't worked right in the older versions for ages. But it hasn't been fixed in v. 10, and definitely needs to be addressed. It might be good for as many as possible to make this request to feedback@evernote.com also.

@ferol, I know your wonderful list/table may be complete, but would it still be possible to add this? It's been over a decade, and the feature is absolutely essential for millions of users.

19 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

But this feature request was first posted in 2012, 8 years before the newer version came out. As far as I remember, RTL hadn't worked right in the older versions for ages. But it hasn't been fixed in v. 10, and definitely needs to be addressed. It might be good for as many as possible to make this request to feedback@evernote.com also.

@ferol, I know your wonderful list/table may be complete, but would it still be possible to add this? It's been over a decade, and the feature is absolutely essential for millions of users.

Done

A.23

• Thanks 1
12 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Yeah RTL worked in one of the Legacy versions (6.25.3.9348) which I've been using for years, ignoring updates so as not to lose the RTL support.

• Like 1