Chantal Leonard

Evernote for Mac 6.12 GA

Idea

Today we're releasing version 6.12 - you cadownload it here. Thank you to the Beta community who helped us uncover a few critical launch blockers. Please stay tuned, we'll be releasing 6.13 Beta 1 in a few weeks. 

Fixed in GA build

• An issue where the app would sometimes hang on quit 
  • An issue where some apple scripts would not work 
  • An issue where the stacks caret for expanding and collapsing these in the sidebar was not visible

Thanks,

Chantal and the rest of the Mac and the Editor team! 

--------------------

Full release notes for version 6.12: 

Evernote for Mac 6.12 Release Notes

Major improvements to tables!

Some highlights of what you can do with tables now:

• Add more rows and columns with a single click: Point to where you want a new column and click the plus button that appears.
  • Choose the entire column or row just by clicking the header.
  • Drag and drop entire rows & columns.
  • Copy and paste multiple cells: Select the cells you want to move, copy them, move cursor to a new spot and paste all the cells with one click.
  • Adjust the width of one column without affecting the width of the column next to it.
  • Scroll horizontally to view a table with many columns without expanding your window.
  • Hover within a cell to activate advanced table options. 
    • You can distribute columns evenly
    • Match the table width to the width of your window
    • Change the alignment of items within cells
    • Add and change background colorsQuickly add rows and columns – via the plus button

New image gallery!

Double-click on an image to enter the gallery mode, which allows you to quickly browse all the images in your note!

Better multi-tasking 

Keep your Evernote content organized using tabs. Create a new tab by selecting the 'New Tab' option under the File menu. 
Pick up from where you left off - if you exit the app and re-open it, you'll return to your previously opened windows / state.

Separation of Business and Personal

No longer intermingle your business and personal content in your Evernote experience but still multi-task when you need to. 

Bug fixes

A number of user reported bugs are now fixed in this release:

• Evernote does not update business tags list after the sync
  • Pasting a large amount of text into a note fails with no error message
  • An intermittent crash on account switching
  • Images in some notes created by clipper were not displayed in the note  
  • Pasting content before a horizontal rule was sometimes resulting in the deletion of content below the horizontal rule
  • Like 1

99 replies to this idea

luckman212    81

I deleted every trace of Evernote 6.12 and rolled back to 6.11.  Had lots of freezes, "spinning spinners" when creating new notes, problems with code blocks (every line getting rendered as if it were a separate code block), tables randomly resizing themselves, etc.  The list of bugs I encountered in a 2 hour period was really disappointing. QA at Evernote is at an all time low, and this version is most certainly not ready for release status.

• Like 1

DTLow    2,225
4 hours ago, Chantal Leonard said:

Today we're releasing version 6.12

Bug Report: Constant Sync Activity

I noticed the sync icon spinning all the time.  I had sync set at 5 minutes, so I changed it to Manual
Syncing is still happening.  I can confirm this by having a web window open at a note

Also the activity log shows something ongoing

• Like 1

rkapurple    51

## Location

Removing the Atlas main menu option is a major change and should have been included in the release notes. Here's a great idea for making location more useful for new and experienced customers alike:

- created as a filter (like tags/reminders) rather than as a seperate full section in previous version would help improve discoverability and usability. I would have used location in the app much more if it was a filter. Often I now what type of work I'm looking for by notebook/tag but *then* would like to filter the selection by location.

- e.g. Holiday notebook. The notebook includes itineraries, photos of trips taken in chronological order. Customer wants to see only the trips taken in Greece.  They could open the holiday notebook and click on the location filter and choose Greece, either by placing a pin on a may or using a search box and typing 'Greece'

PC00    8
17 hours ago, luckman212 said:

Crashes for me every time I quit now. QA??

macOS 10.12.6 (16G29) - EN 6.12 (455415 Direct)

I assume I can't just "roll back" to 6.11 because my database was updated and re-indexed when I first launched. So I am stuck with a crash on every quit now.

Yep, I get the same. Crashing every time I quit.

It's so crazy, I saw the update available in the mac app store and almost didn't download it because every time I download a new update there's something wrong. Lo and behold, this time was no exception. Should've listened to my intuition.

QA is non-existent at Evernote it seems. How every developer there hasn't been fired long ago is beyond me. Every single new update brings a ton of problems. Consistently.

Does the CEO even use the product??

Is he holding people to account? Product managers, etc?

It's truly astonishing.

I think it might be time to cancel my sub once and for all. New Apple notes app on High Sierra looking really nice. Tables, pinned notes, and you know it will work flawlessly. And it's free.

Evernote, you used to be so good but it's been at least 3 years now. What a fall from grace.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, HerbyDE said:

Problems with German Umlaute: copy a text of a note to Word, Outlook and so on makes wrong characters

evernote-umlaute.jpg

I am experiencing the same problem with Chinese. Copy and paste would result in mojibake.

bgmckinley    0

Just upgrade to Evernote 6.12 and now the application crashes every time I close it. I get a bug report notification every time I open the application. I have tried completely uninstalling Evernote and deleting all all traces of files and folders. Problem continues. Is there anyway to roll back to an older version of Evernote? 

Bug Report:

When typing inside the Business Card fields, the cursor keeps jumping to the beginning of the line.

For example, if your have "John" in the name field and you click after "n" and start typing, the cursor will jump to before "J" when you start typing. You need to click and immediately start typing in order to be able to get the text to stay after "John". If you wait a couple of seconds the cursor will jump.

1 hora atrás, Derek BRM disse:

Im having major major issues with 6.12. I use Evernote for 80% of what I do at work. 6.12 has turned a seamless work solution into a complicated mess of a system. It is adding extra steps to every single thing I do. I wish you would have taken the, "if it aint broke, dont fix it" attitude. Not only did the update cause me to lose a day of work because my Evernote got stuck on "Migrating notes"  for 24 hours.

When it finally opened I realized how messy this new system is. I work in a million notebooks throughout the day which means I need to be searching all the time through multiple notebooks. The search function is now a disaster. Before it would pull up all notes in a side view right away. Now it seems to want to pull up my personal tell me theres nothing, and below it will say "57 notes related to this in business. So you click that (extra step), then it brings them up not in list view so I have to click each one (extra step) then I click the note to go to it, and I cant, you have to click edit (extra step). I hate the block view, thats not the way I ever view things in Evernote.

Taking away the ability to blend personal and business is a nightmare as well. I have all my coworkers send me email via personal and then I switch them to corresponding business notebooks as I go through. So I keep one window of personal open and one business window open. You can no longer do this. You switch one and it flips the other. I need the second window even more so since youve taken away the ability to easily search. Switching notes is complicated because now you have to wait for syncing. And my evernote seems to be syncing every 5 seconds.

I feel like we stepped into a beta version of evernote, this is adding time and extra steps to every single thing I do. I would seriously consider abandoning this version and switching back. Everyone in my workplace that has switched has regretted it and everyone who hasnt is trying frantically to keep their computers from updating. Do you have any solutions or reasons for why you ever thought any of these changes were a good idea?

Same here. 

UN-productivity #1: I send a lot of stuff to my Inbox notebook (private default). then to send this to business now takes more steps.

UN-productivity #2: I have a lot of personal notes / notebooks that I use WHILE working. Some are references that I use at work. I find myself having to search in BOTH accounts in order to find a especific information. It would be great

UN-productivity #3: My Inbox notebook is where I keep "pending" items, that I need to work on. I have it on my favorites. Now if I'm on a business notebook, I need to switch back to the personal in order to get to Inbox. Could the Default notebook be available in both accounts? There is a default business notebook setting but i'm not sure what it is for.

• Sad 1

DTLow    2,225
1 hour ago, MJGwater said:

Is there any way to revert back to version 6.11? I just upgraded to 6.12.1 and now the search function doesn't work nearly as well. I don't use notebooks to organize my notes so now I can't even find the note I was looking at right before I clicked upgrade?

I haven’t seen any changes to the search function

Instructions for reverting at

DTLow    2,225
On 2017-08-29 at 8:48 AM, Chantal Leonard said:

Today we're releasing version 6.12

edited: I can no longer reproduce this error.  My scripts are running ok
afaik   The only thing changed is that my database was being indexed at the time of the error

Bug Report - Applescript error    Evernote got an error: Export failed for unknown reason
Actual Statement:                        
export theTemplate to tempFile format ENEX with tags

On the plus side, the "find notes" aborting has been fixed so I’m able to find the note to export

luckman212    81

I assume I can't just "roll back" to 6.11 because my database was updated and re-indexed when I first launched. So I am stuck with a crash on every quit now.

DTLow    2,225
6 minutes ago, luckman212 said:

Not necessarily.  You can completely remove Evernote from your Mac; app, database, ....
The app AppCleaner is recommended for this
Install the Evernote app and the database will be rebuilt from the server.  Warning, the rebuild does not include Local Notebooks or unsync'd notes

I am an ECC.  I'm on a MacBook Pro running macOS Sierra v. 10.12.6 and installed Evernote v. 6.12 Aug. 29, 2017.  I have over 3400 notes.

I was very excited to get this update because I use tables extensively.  However, since I installed the update, I've had major issues with existing tables.  If the columns had to be resized due to the update, I understand that, but there are tables that I cannot resize now, or the green resizing line is out of alignment and I can't grab it.  This means all the templates I've created with tables are going to be a huge mess to fix if I basically have to redo all the templates.

I've attached some screen shots showing what's going on.  In both cases, I cannot resize the columns.  I thought it was due to the indexing but either that's still going on (it's been about 6 hours) or those tables have to be recreated. The screenshot with the orange boxes shows you one table that I could resize and one immediately below it that I could not.  In the same note.  The shot with the green line shows how the resizing line is not lining up with the actual table lines.  I can't grab them.  Sometimes I can go out of the note and go back in it and the lines move to where they should be so I can resize.

Open to suggestions about how to fix this.

Screen Shot 2017-08-29 at 5.15.53 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-08-29 at 5.15.31 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-08-29 at 5.19.04 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-08-29 at 5.31.03 PM.png

nicolml    28
9 hours ago, luckman212 said:

Thanks for reporting. We're aware of this and we are working on releasing a fix soon. 

• Like 1

luckman212    81
14 hours ago, luanrfsilva said:

"code" does not work inside the tables

Another bug with code blocks is that now when using the "simplify formatting" command, all code blocks get removed. In 6.11 they were preserved.

Seems like they messed with the codeblock feature a lot (to its detriment).

Oh, man.  I was so looking forward to the overhaul of tables.  I use them all the time, and the options that were in there were limited.  So after I installed, rebooted, and loaded up 6.12, to my horror ALL the existing tables were thrown out of whack (just like one of the gentlemen above mentioned.). I've got hundreds of tables.  To reformat all of them will be a tremendous time-sucker.  Ugh.  I wish there were a way to keep existing tables in their original form.

Cannot seem to copy/paste into cells.  Beyond frustrating.  Will try to roll back.

I can't complain much, though.  I'm among the users of the free app, so this is a lump I'll have to take.  If I were a paying customer, though, I would probably be a little more miffed.

Edited by lifesDADventures
More bugs to add to post.

Jason Miller    84
17 hours ago, Sandeelynne3 said:

I am an ECC.  I'm on a MacBook Pro running macOS Sierra v. 10.12.6 and installed Evernote v. 6.12 Aug. 29, 2017.  I have over 3400 notes.

I was very excited to get this update because I use tables extensively.  However, since I installed the update, I've had major issues with existing tables.  If the columns had to be resized due to the update, I understand that, but there are tables that I cannot resize now, or the green resizing line is out of alignment and I can't grab it.  This means all the templates I've created with tables are going to be a huge mess to fix if I basically have to redo all the templates.

I've attached some screen shots showing what's going on.  In both cases, I cannot resize the columns.  I thought it was due to the indexing but either that's still going on (it's been about 6 hours) or those tables have to be recreated. The screenshot with the orange boxes shows you one table that I could resize and one immediately below it that I could not.  In the same note.  The shot with the green line shows how the resizing line is not lining up with the actual table lines.  I can't grab them.  Sometimes I can go out of the note and go back in it and the lines move to where they should be so I can resize.

Open to suggestions about how to fix this.

Screen Shot 2017-08-29 at 5.15.53 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-08-29 at 5.15.31 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-08-29 at 5.19.04 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-08-29 at 5.31.03 PM.png

Is this a nested table?  (and obviously something is getting through our protect old tables, logic) do you happen to have a problem note you can share so our dev folks can take a look at what is going on?

• Like 1

nicolml    28
17 hours ago, luanrfsilva said:

The feature "code" does not work inside the tables. I need this!!!

This is by design. 

Jason Miller    84
16 hours ago, luckman212 said:

I deleted every trace of Evernote 6.12 and rolled back to 6.11.  Had lots of freezes, "spinning spinners" when creating new notes, problems with code blocks (every line getting rendered as if it were a separate code block), tables randomly resizing themselves, etc.  The list of bugs I encountered in a 2 hour period was really disappointing. QA at Evernote is at an all time low, and this version is most certainly not ready for release status.

Not sure what I can hep with then.  Do you have a note(s) that can be shared that show the broken behavior, so I can take the info to Dev?

Jason Miller    84
54 minutes ago, lifesDADventures said:

Oh, man.  I was so looking forward to the overhaul of tables.  I use them all the time, and the options that were in there were limited.  So after I installed, rebooted, and loaded up 6.12, to my horror ALL the existing tables were thrown out of whack (just like one of the gentlemen above mentioned.). I've got hundreds of tables.  To reformat all of them will be a tremendous time-sucker.  Ugh.  I wish there were a way to keep existing tables in their original form.

Cannot seem to copy/paste into cells.  Beyond frustrating.  Will try to roll back.

I can't complain much, though.  I'm among the users of the free app, so this is a lump I'll have to take.  If I were a paying customer, though, I would probably be a little more miffed.

We put in logic to help prevent this, obviously you have tables that aren't being handled correctly - can you share such a note so Dev can take a look at it and make our table protection logic better? 

Jason Miller    84
7 hours ago, Jonathan Michael Copeland said:

Hey, love the update! 

One bug is that you cannot insert code blocks into the new tables.

By Design, Code Blocks where breaking tables

3 minutes ago, Jason Miller said:

We put in logic to help prevent this, obviously you have tables that aren't being handled correctly - can you share such a note so Dev can take a look at it and make our table protection logic better? 

I've attached a note, exported with the Evernote settings.  It's a pretty long note--you'll need to scroll down a bit.  You'll see the tables come up, though.  Some are two rows, some are 30+ rows.  All are three columns.  Even the tables that I created today in 6.12 have reverted back to the scrambled settings.  Please advise.

Note w Tables.enex

• Like 1

Jason Miller    84
21 minutes ago, lifesDADventures said:

I've attached a note, exported with the Evernote settings.  It's a pretty long note--you'll need to scroll down a bit.  You'll see the tables come up, though.  Some are two rows, some are 30+ rows.  All are three columns.  Even the tables that I created today in 6.12 have reverted back to the scrambled settings.  Please advise.

Note w Tables.enex

I think I am a big confused, the tables when I load the ENEX file don't seemed messed up (attaching a screen shot) - I am not paying attention to the right thing? (or if open a problem note, leave it and return does it get fixed or more messed up? 

Screen Shot 2017-08-30 at 10.28.42 AM.png