How can I remove the message "Press '/' for insert an element"

hace 3 horas, gazumped dijo:

Hi.  Sorry - you can't.  Not yet anyway.  Feel free to tell the company how you feel with feeback@Evernote.com - we're mainly other users here... 

@gazumpedI didn't know that I could send feedback to Evernote through that email.
I have already submitted my need to have a parameter to disable the "press / to insert an element..." message.

Thanks for sharing.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5

Some celebrate the slash-commands as the greatest invention since canned milk. Many dislike the display of the grey text.

You should send feedback at EN about your opinion:

Personally I am mildly irritated that every line of text is now prefilled. But there are greater evils in the world than this.

Remark: You have a keyboard with a stuck letter „j“, that’s annoying to me.

• Like 3
hace 7 horas, jjjjjjjjjjjjjikhkl dijo:

It is very very annoying! 

I have just been forced to update from an old version of Evernote. Where everything worked great. 

These newer versions are all so cluttered with nonsense that I don't need, at this point I may as well be using Microsoft word to write simple notes

I think the same, it is quite annoying to have the message constantly. For now we will have to adapt and learn to live with this 💩

In addition to sending the message to the feedback email, you can also write your feedback to the twitter account of @evernote and Federico Simionato @fedesimio

• Like 4

Damn the  "Press '/' for insert an element" is annoying. I sent an e-mail to feedback@evernote.com to give them my opinion too. are why is there not an explanation of what that message even mean? 

I use Evernote daily and if they think it is such a useful feature that is is worth sticking it in our face to replace the cursor,  I think they should tell us about what it is and why it is so important that it needs to be pushed so aggressively on us. You'd think it'd be a lifesaving or life-altering feature the way they are rolling this out. 

• Like 4

Thank God I found you all. Thought I was imagining things and that the "insert element" clutter must have been there all along. It follows me around like a stray cat from one line to the next.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
6 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Some celebrate the slash-commands as the greatest invention since canned milk. Many dislike the display of the grey text.

You should send feedback at EN about your opinion:

Personally I am mildly irritated that every line of text is now prefilled. But there are greater evils in the world than this.

Remark: You have a keyboard with a stuck letter „j“, that’s annoying to me.

I'm very annoyed also. I wrote and received a response: "The message was not delivered because feeback@evernote.com was not found or does not accept incoming messages".

• Like 4

I *HATE* constant suggestions while I'm typing.

I actually have my own thoughts, sometimes actually concentrate and focus, and phrase and other suggestions are a f###ing annoying distraction from actual writing.

Being able to switch it off is essential.

• Like 7
  • Level 5

@jjjjjjjjjjjjjikhkl and others who are just coming to v. 10 from Legacy, just FYI the / popup is not an original feature of v. 10. It only showed up in the last week or two. Hopefully they are getting our feedback@evernote.com and will refine this. E.g. make it work with Ctrl+/ Alt+/, not every / you type; and assume that after the first 5 minutes, we've got the idea and don't need the reminder.

EDIT: Ctrl+/ is already in use to access the keyboard shortcut list/dialog.

• Like 4
  • Level 5

They stick a huge carrot in front of you right now: v10.80 is out, and it offers collapsible and expandable sections.

You get at them by hovering the mouse over a header, and have an arrow to click at.

I rather tolerate a little text than goes away once I start typing (although I find it disturbing as well) to get the functional sections.

• Thanks 2
16 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

They stick a huge carrot in front of you right now: v10.80 is out, and it offers collapsible and expandable sections.

You get at them by hovering the mouse over a header, and have an arrow to click at.

I rather tolerate a little text than goes away once I start typing (although I find it disturbing as well) to get the functional sections.

You mean this? Could you explain, please, how does it work? I don't understand at all.

Ah, ok, I already have find here 

New features:

• Collapsible sections: you can now collapse and expand headings and lists in your note!
  • Arrow ligatures: character sequences like "->", "<->", and "=>" are now nicely rendered as arrows!
16 hours ago, blueviolet11 said:

I submitted feedback as well. Hopefully they give the option to remove this text soon. In the meantime, I reverted to the Feb 22 version (Mac OS), downloaded from this link (https://evernote.en.uptodown.com/mac/versions), as I couldn't tolerate this.

Thank you so much, this helped! I didn't know it was possible. God bless you. 

Windows https://evernote.en.uptodown.com/windows/versions 

Also for me this message (italian version) "Premi / per inserire un elemento" is really annoying. 

Please remove it or make it optional,

Thanks

• Like 1
1 hour ago, RichardThomas said:

You mean this? Could you explain, please, how does it work? I don't understand at all.

New features:

• Collapsible sections: you can now collapse and expand headings and lists in your note!
  • Arrow ligatures: character sequences like "->", "<->", and "=>" are now nicely rendered as arrows!

How can I have a NOT collapsed menu? I mean now instead of seeing all the sections like File, Edit etc. I see a burger menu. Why????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3 minutes ago, Doministry said:

How can I have a NOT collapsed menu? I mean now instead of seeing all the sections like File, Edit etc. I see a burger menu. Why????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is a different function, it seems to me. Not the one described in the release. Apparently the developers have a lot of unhealthy creativity. It would be better to do what people have been asking for a long time, as someone well said in another thread.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, RichardThomas said:

Thank you so much, this helped! I didn't know it was possible. God bless you. 

Windows https://evernote.en.uptodown.com/windows/versions 

20 hours ago, blueviolet11 said:

I submitted feedback as well. Hopefully they give the option to remove this text soon. In the meantime, I reverted to the Feb 22 version (Mac OS), downloaded from this link (https://evernote.en.uptodown.com/mac/versions), as I couldn't tolerate this.

Friend, tell me how to block updates now? It just came back without warning. Sh*t.

• Like 1
hace 3 horas, RichardThomas dijo:

I wrote several times to this address. And I always get the answer: “The message was not delivered because the service does not accept messages.”

I notice that in a message above you sent a message to the account feeback@evernote.com instead of feedback@evernote.com, perhaps that is the error.

You can also submit a ticket to technical support: https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Or write in the Twitter threads where they publish the news:

https://twitter.com/i/bookmarks?post_id=1765440225013019100

https://twitter.com/evernote/status/1765437123300139021

• Like 1

Just sent this in to feedback. I guess we should clarify, it's not the slash commands we don't like, but the constant prompt.

Do they not have beta testers? I can't believe this would have gotten past even casual users. 

hace 11 horas, dbvirago dijo:

Just sent this in to feedback. I guess we should clarify, it's not the slash commands we don't like, but the constant prompt.

Do they not have beta testers? I can't believe this would have gotten past even casual users. 

We are their beta testers ...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Hey hi, check your Scansnap ix1500 drivers are up to date and if there are any pending windows updates and install them and then verify the connection between your scanner and computer.

please please please please GET RID OF THIS CONSTANT PROMPT...IT IS VISUALLY INCREDIBLY IRRITATING. IT MAKES ME WANT TO JUST SWITCH TO ONENOTE. SERIOUSLY. PRESS / FOR ELEMENT COMING UP EVERY TYPE THERE IS A WHITE SPACE IS NUTS. PLEASE DISABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16 hours ago, carlosgm said:

I notice that in a message above you sent a message to the account feeback@evernote.com instead of feedback@evernote.com, perhaps that is the error.

You can also submit a ticket to technical support: https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Or write in the Twitter threads where they publish the news:

https://twitter.com/i/bookmarks?post_id=1765440225013019100

https://twitter.com/evernote/status/1765437123300139021

Thanks for noticing this error. I actually used the wrong address even though I just copied and pasted. But somewhere one letter was missing. Thanks again and I'll add my voice to the requests to remove some annoying features.

• Like 1

I just submitted a request to feedback@evernote.com as well, asking them to turn off the constant reminder of "Press '/'  to insert an element". I also reverted to the Feb 22, 2024 (MacOS) version at https://evernote.en.uptodown.com/mac/versions to keep my sanity until they provide a way to turn off that highly annoying message. Thanks to all of you who posted where to find and download previous versions of Evernote.

this "/" reminds me to an IT collegue who found it useful to start a Screenshot Printer each time you press "p" or "P" and installed this "feature" on every PC in the factory.. let me comment it friendly: If I were the boss of this company, my first action would be to fire this guy... immediatly

• Haha 1

I have submitted the same type of feedback in hopes they remove the constant reminder of Press "/" to insert and element. I'm new to Evernote, does the web client update get rolled out the same time as when they release a new windows/mac executable to download?

• Level 5
2 hours ago, Korben Dallas said:

I have submitted the same type of feedback in hopes they remove the constant reminder of Press "/" to insert and element. I'm new to Evernote, does the web client update get rolled out the same time as when they release a new windows/mac executable to download?

Welcome to the forums. In my experience, the Web client tends to get updated faster than the desktop. That's often where I learn that there is a new version. The desktop "check for updates" function is often days, sometimes many days, behind the actual release of the update, since they roll it out gradually across the userbase. You can always download the latest version from evernote.com/download. The filename will be "Evernote-newest"; you have to check the file properties to get the actual version number.🙄

The message that appears was a little annoying at first but I've gotten used to it and it doesn't stop me from working at all. Honestly, I'm finding the reactions here very exaggerated for something so small.

• Like 4
  • Level 5
55 minutes ago, Cristiano478 said:

The message that appears was a little annoying at first but I've gotten used to it and it doesn't stop me from working at all. Honestly, I'm finding the reactions here very exaggerated for something so small.!

You mean that isn't what software forums and other social media are for? I'm appalled! Outraged! Nauseated!😅

2 horas atrás, Dave-in-Decatur disse:

You mean that isn't what software forums and other social media are for? I'm appalled! Outraged! Nauseated!😅

You're right. In this forum there are certainly many examples of exaggerated reports from both sides. A small bug is like someone died. Fanboys defend Evernote as if they were paid by it. Legacy lovers think it is the greatest absurdity on earth to turn off legacy. Everyone here is crazy in their own way

• Like 5
9 hours ago, Cristiano478 said:

You're right. In this forum there are certainly many examples of exaggerated reports from both sides. A small bug is like someone died. Fanboys defend Evernote as if they were paid by it. Legacy lovers think it is the greatest absurdity on earth to turn off legacy. Everyone here is crazy in their own way

You got it in one!

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, agsteele said:

The / command message is due to gain and on/off switch in the next desktop app release in the next day or two.

I wish EN would focus more on some major issues, for example the not working links in filtered notes

• Like 1

Help me solve the problem, maybe I just don’t know how. Despite blocking updates, my Evernote was updated today. And my AI banner closes the menu. I can't move it, I can't do anything with it. In the guide it was written that it was movable, but this is not so. Help.
This shiny thing on the right, you've probably seen the same thing in yours. (I can't find where to switch the application language for better display on the forum.)

Evernote_IrCtL0VWBb.png

I'm tired. Update blocking does not work, there are no answers from support, there are always unexpected and dull interference in the work. The application regularly slows down. This AI block has finished me off. I'm going to explore Obsidian.

• Like 1

Do you know how long it usually takes for a new version to be available when you click "check for updates..." in the app itself? Mine recently updated to 10.80.3 and is running SOO slow. Hoping the latest version is faster. Thanks!

BTW: Even though I am happy that the slash command can be hidden now (and is still stays active), I was surprised to find the switch on the … menu of a note. Evernote calls is "of the note editor", but look at the other options of that menu: all specific to this particular note!

Thus, my fear was that they made the switch note specific. No, they did not, it carries over to other notes. This is good!

But I submit that it is a bad choice to put he option/switch onto this menu. It has little to do with the note open (except that it affects it, too).

It should have gone to the global options of EN. But for some inexplicable reason (to me), they abhor  those settings. Option are dispersed now to all parts of EN.

YMMV.

• Like 2

I'm forced to use the web interface since the Evernote team bailed on the Linux client. So far, I don't have that "slash command" section in my menu. I would have thought that the web upgraded to the latest version before the desktop clients, but I'll admit I really have no idea how those things are rolled out. Hopefully coming soon to the web.

4 minutes ago, LaFlamme said:

I'm forced to use the web interface since the Evernote team bailed on the Linux client. So far, I don't have that "slash command" section in my menu. I would have thought that the web upgraded to the latest version before the desktop clients, but I'll admit I really have no idea how those things are rolled out. Hopefully coming soon to the web.

But it is available through the web interface:

image.png.0bd47ac4517ece0dd9281de75c789bb5.png

1 minute ago, Razmataz said:

But it is available through the web interface:

What I meant is that the ability to turn it off hasn't arrived yet for me.

Sorry, right. No switch in the web version yet.

I wonder if the setting (in one client) will carry over to others, such as the web access.

I think it should.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

With settings it is simple: The settings done in a client usually are changing only the behavior in that client.

Settings done in the account information pages affect the app in general, some affect only the web client that has no other settings options.

For those in the web client, the option is now available. I kept looking in "Settings" but you have to click on the three dots, "..." in the upper right hand corner of the editor. It should be right above the "AI EDIT" button.

When you click on that you will see a drop down menu with an option called "Slash commands". Click on that and you will see an option to "Hide inline hint". Hope that helps people who were having a hard time finding it in the web client.

• Like 1

Can't find the setting to disable it.
I'm on windows, checking for updates gives me this:

You’re up to date!

Evernote 10.80.3 is currently the newest version available.

On 3/20/2024 at 8:00 PM, RichardThomas said:

I'm tired. Update blocking does not work, there are no answers from support, there are always unexpected and dull interference in the work. The application regularly slows down. This AI block has finished me off. I'm going to explore Obsidian.

I left Evernote for Obsidian when Evernote was sold to bendingspoons, b/c I thought it was the end after many false starts and promises.

Obsidian is good, the developers are responsibe, and the community is great at building a bunch of useful plug ins, but in the end I found it all too "technical" for me and I really never warmed to the UI.

Recently I had a quick look at Evernote again and I must say I am impressed. I like the developers and they seem very responsive. They are evolving things imho in a positive way, and things like the "/" and the AI block are easy to ignore (well at least the / is now that you can hide it).

I'm back, got a big discount on my first year of personal and enjoying being back in the fold.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Is the setting to turn it off in the WIndows version yet?

If they add a constant at-your-face visual features, they need to have to a setting to turn it off. Any UI expert knows this.
This feature is really annoying and it clutters every line.

Recent series of update have been cluttering and quite useless. Really takes away the user experience of using Evernote. The core product is good without these disruptive bells and whistles. This particular update is clearly annoying and unnecessary. 

• Level 5

Others enjoy the development - this /-command means you can insert quite complex elements with just a few keystrokes.

Don‘t like the direction - go watching for an alternative. You find enough Threads about it in the forum.

15 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Others enjoy the development - this /-command means you can insert quite complex elements with just a few keystrokes.

Don‘t like the direction - go watching for an alternative. You find enough Threads about it in the forum.

No one is saying to stop the development. We're asking for settings to turn off these disruptive features. Not everyone enjoys a UI that's heavy in bells and whistles. Some of us prefer a minimalist UI and hidden features. When we want something, we can turn it on on demand.
We know about the / feature already. No need to show it all the goddamn time!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

Update to 10.81, if you don't have it installed yet. Select this option (2, 3) on the 3 dots menu (1):

image.thumb.png.6e4676acef3dcfd7931028b9479aeeb1.png

I am at 10.80.3 and Evernote says I have the most current version. Are you downloading this from some link or updating from within Evernote?
Maybe the updates are not available to the world at the same time.

Where are you accessing the 3 dots from? My 3 dots don't anything like this. I know yours is German. It seems you're on a Mac so maybe that's why the different version. BTW, I asked about Windows.

• Level 5*
3 minutes ago, abdu said:

I am at 10.80.3 and Evernote says I have the most current version. Are you downloading this from some link or updating from within Evernote?

Download the latest version from the Evernote.com website.  The in app update sometimes lags behind.

21 minutes ago, Efraim Queiroz said:

Does anyone suggest a tool that respects the user and does not create rules to harm usability?

Haha, that's a good one.

I am afraid those things are not done with  "tool". They are done with a state-of-mind of management, in particular product management.

It's anyone's guess, whether EN has that state-of-mind for respect of users and usability.

YMMV.

On 3/27/2024 at 1:07 PM, Efraim Queiroz said:

Does anyone suggest a tool that respects the user and does not create rules to harm usability?

This statement is very general.

You can post here about what feature in Evernote that's embedding your definition of usability and maybe there's a workaround. 
There's a setting now to hide the issue that caused this thread.

• Like 2
On 3/13/2024 at 7:42 PM, blueviolet11 said:

Why downgrade, while we cannot reject updates - in a week or so they will have updated away the older version you downloaded... 😡 

• Evernote Expert

These are user-to-user support forums so it is unlikely you will get Evernote staff support.

In answer to your initial question, ensure you are using the latest desktop application ( evernote.com/download )

Install the latest version of you haven't already done so. Open a note and select the desired option to show our hide the / command prompt.

HTH

• Like 1
On 3/13/2024 at 9:04 PM, PinkElephant said:

You tolerate it, I don't.

I just want to be able to think about what I am about to write.

All the pleasure of using this once great program has gone. In fact, I don't use the Windows version anymore, and doubt very much I will pay for another round of that...

Hey - this is still issues - and the new 'customize' setting doesn't work.  I found this (see picture below).  I set it via a note on my home laptop... and it seemed at first to work... as it made the '/' invisible

image.png

However --1) it doesn't fix my pop -up problem... ever time I press '/' the menu pops up then, hides, pops-up, then hides, then pops-up, then hides...

This is a real issue for me because I use the / backwards slash for in multiple ways...

The v10.79 update did this as a supposed benefit... but for me it is a real issue for me... can you ** Please ** allow me to disable the popups and/or remove this feature?

image.png.dff7bb9b7e877bb49febedf551915a17.png

2) Second, making the '/' invisible doesn't carry over other devices... re:  in my work laptop, the '/' still visible... 

image.png.98bcbf03646c9a3aeae136a79c1dd05b.png

• Level 5

@jrdunson, as you may have noticed by reading through the thread:

• These are user-to-user forums, so you are not addressing Evernote with the request to fix the issue. You can do so at feedback@evernote.com.
  • The menu option (also available through the ... menu at top right of a note) is to show or hide the inline hint that (if shown) appears at the beginning of every new paragraph. It's working as intended.

I can absolutely understand the desire to disable the thing. I use it sometimes, but I don't see that it does anything that I can't do almost as conveniently by other means, with the inconvenience of the popup on the relatively rare occasions I type a /. Clearly it needs more work.

• Like 1

It worked! I removed it after an update today!

Took a few tries.

Click on Note, then on  slash commands, as shown above, then turned it on and off a few times, made a new note using the slash command, turned it on and off and the Press "/" disappeared!

YA!

Dave, thanks... however, what I've experienced....is that sending info to feedback@evernote.com is basically a dead end.   The recipients don't respond.   I am a Premium supporter - it seems like evernote should have better customer support. 

I've also noticed another 'pop-up'  'hint' that is an issue... that is, when I highlight paragraph, a pop-up called 'AI Edit' appears... this is also an annoying feature... that I would like to disable... i don't need the pop-up for every paragraph or note I take... 

It seems that the developers just add thing - ** assuming ** that users will like it... and present them as 'great new features'   

When it fact, it just makes some us to want to go else where... to do note-taking or writing ... 

Why can 'new features' be optional?

Jarrell

image.png.fae469d558bd3005a0b72f0d6c42edaa.png

6 minutes ago, jrdunson said:

Dave, thanks... however, what I've experienced....is that sending info to feedback@evernote.com is basically a dead end.   The recipients don't respond.   I am a Premium supporter - it seems like evernote should have better customer support. 

I've also noticed another 'pop-up'  'hint' that is an issue... that is, when I highlight paragraph, a pop-up called 'AI Edit' appears... this is also an annoying feature... that I would like to disable... i don't need the pop-up for every paragraph or note I take... 

It seems that the developers just add thing - ** assuming ** that users will like it... and present them as 'great new features'   

When it fact, it just makes some us to want to go else where... to do note-taking or writing ... 

Why can 'new features' be optional?

Jarrell

image.png.fae469d558bd3005a0b72f0d6c42edaa.png

if you're expecting more than a Thank you reply, you should contact them through the contact us page if you want personalized replies. 
If their feedback mailbox is not connected to their ticket system, don't expect much.. or anything. 

Some of these mailboxes are just queues for when someone has time to look at them.

• Level 5
18 minutes ago, jrdunson said:

Yeah, there's at least one whole separate thread on that one. What a pain, and so utterly pointless with the big button sitting right on the toolbar.

• Like 1

Thank you.

I went to the trouble of registering to this forum to appreciate the response on how to remove the grey "/" comment on every blank line.

Thank you again. I was annoyed and disturbed.

It's also good to know that i was not alone on this.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

This has been solved and the solution posted in this thread 20 days ago. Please read a thread before posting yourself.

Given that the solution is buried in the middle of what looks like a 100 + long thread, I don't see any harm in having the solution posted again at the end. 

• Level 5

And I see no harm in reminding you that we should not extend threads with repetitive information - and avoid double positing of the same information in different threads as well. I see your intention to do good, but in effect it makes already long threads longer, without adding anything new.