You no longer have access to this notebook Permissions lost popping up when I do a search

Go to solution Solved by Morgan G,

• Evernote Expert

There is a bug in v10 59.5 which is affecting some users. I haven't seen it but I think that searching in an individual notebook can produce the error. Instead search on all notes and see if that works.

Alternatively others are reporting that they have rolled back the software to the previous version.

• Like 6

I got the same problem, never share the notebook with anyone. The 'permissions lost message' pop up when I search in the notebook. I tried logout then login again, can search a couple of time, before the 'permissions lost message' pop up again.

image.png.c8a9fb1004fddcdf62e80012a8ace486.png

• Like 4

Haaa <sigh>, will have to use this way of search and notebook filter at the moment, until Evernote fix the bug. 😑

4 hours ago, Morgan G said:

Same issue here.  <sigh>

Experimentally, I've found that I can search all Notes and then apply a notebook filter to still find what I'm looking for.

• Like 1

I was experiencing the same, just started today - view notes in a notebook, then search. Using web client v 10.59.5 web 0. Found this, then tried different browsers - didn't have problems with Brave or Chrome on Ubuntu. Now my original browser (Firefox) is behaving too.

3 minutes ago, Steve K said:

I was experiencing the same, just started today - view notes in a notebook, then search. Using web client v 10.59.5 web 0. Found this, then tried different browsers - didn't have problems with Brave or Chrome on Ubuntu. Now my original browser (Firefox) is behaving too.

And now it's happening again in all browsers

18 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

@amiroulfaiz and @Flish, welcome to the forums. See the earlier response from @agsteele.

Thanks, I can't confirm but it seemed to me that if I searched across all notebooks I got no results, it just seemed to return all the notes ?!?

I've since reinstalled 10.58.8 and all is good, so avoiding upgrades for now

• Level 5

No software will roll back as an option. It‘s always moving ahead.

They improved the auto-updater some time ago, on user requests, here in the forum and probably at support. As a result, your first challenge is to get the installer for an older version, the second is to stop the newly installed „old“ version from updating again.

It can be done, but requires to edit two .json-files. Maybe a little bit to much „Supermario“ action for most users.

earlier comment(s) indicated web app working OK.  NOT TRUE.  I'm having the same problem with BOTH web app and desktop (windows) app.

This is a MAJOR problem for me and how I use Evernote.

Does anyone have a link to an installer (windows 10 desktop) for the latest WORKING version?

I have tried to use EN support (chat/ticket) but all avenues for support do not get a response. My last ticket was created 7/03/2023 with 2 responses indicating the issue was being escalated (7/21/2023) and the ticket was flagged as "solved" with no resolution.  I'm not hopeful that creating a ticket for the "permissions lost" problem but I'll try.

Thanks / A.

Screen_Capture_-_Jul_27__11_05_PM.png.aa7d0317859eceb631216b50f3dc63f0.png

I'm also having this issue. I'm a (paying) power user of Evernote going back well over a decade and for Evernote to still be manifesting these sorts of major bugs on minor software updates is amateurish and embarrassing. The software has two basic jobs: search and formatting, and it's still doing just barely good enough on both of those on a good day. This is not a good day. Get it together, Evernote. One Note isn't that great but it's looking better and better all the time.

• Like 2

possible work-around for the "Permissions lost" problem :  

• Go to "home"
  • Go to "Notes"
  • under the Notes list panel, select the filter icon, then
    • in the filter form (add filters)
      • specify the notebook (the "Located in" field) you want to search
      • specify additional filters, including tag(s)

NOTE: if the filter form does not show a "Located in" field, you'll have to try other options, including boolean search of notes where you specify your search terms and include notebook: and or tags:  in the standard search bar.

Have not tried on the web app, but the windows desktop app works OK.

If the "Located in:" does not show up in the filter form, you know the notebook will have the permissions problem and you'll have to start over (with home>notes ...)

• Like 1

I have a workaround, but it's annoying for me because I normally search within a notebook, but if you go right to the top under "HOME", there's "NOTES". Click on Notes to highlight it and then search. It will do the search and work, but it will pull up EVERYTHING with your search parameters instead of just what's in your specific notebook that you want to search in. Annoying, but it's a workaround until this is fixed.

• Like 1

I have the same problem. I don't know if it's just me, but Evernote is becoming very creaky these days. Some functionality has been removed and sometimes notes just get lost - I've started backing up to Dropbox on a regular basis because I worry that all my work will disappear...

10 hours ago, DeannaL said:

It will do the search and work, but it will pull up EVERYTHING with your search parameters instead of just what's in your specific notebook that you want to search in.

Don't forget you can then filter your results by notebook after you have searched.

image.png.57fd953909aeceebb2da2ff06b475015.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Evernote Expert

With no intention to belittle the challenges some are facing with 10.59.5, I am pleased to see @Mike P's reminder that instead of filtering then searching, it is as possible to search then filter. :)

I've been having the same problem in the last week or two. If I persist with searching, it seems to go away, but it's very annoying. Thank you to DeannaL & agsteele above for the workaround tips!

In fact, given that Evernote has been so slow in the past to improve basic functions (remember the "Find & Replace" hell we endured for many years?!) and that I recently read an article on Evernote's decline and organizational problems that may lead to shutting down, for anyone from EVERNOTE reading this, I have a request:

Begin NOW--not later--creating a migration feature that allows ALL Evernote Stack, Notebook, and Note data to be exported and imported on other platforms INTACT so that you're ready to go if you do close down.

Thank you!

On 7/26/2023 at 5:28 PM, agsteele said:

There is a bug in v10 59.5 which is affecting some users. I haven't seen it but I think that searching in an individual notebook can produce the error. Instead search on all notes and see if that works.

Alternatively others are reporting that they have rolled back the software to the previous version.

thanks - having same issue.

• Level 5
4 hours ago, emmjayess said:

I've been having the same problem in the last week or two. If I persist with searching, it seems to go away, but it's very annoying. Thank you to DeannaL & agsteele above for the workaround tips!

In fact, given that Evernote has been so slow in the past to improve basic functions (remember the "Find & Replace" hell we endured for many years?!) and that I recently read an article on Evernote's decline and organizational problems that may lead to shutting down, for anyone from EVERNOTE reading this, I have a request:

Begin NOW--not later--creating a migration feature that allows ALL Evernote Stack, Notebook, and Note data to be exported and imported on other platforms INTACT so that you're ready to go if you do close down.

Thank you!

These are basically user-to-user forums, not a way that Evernote uses to collect requests. For that, contact support: https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/requests/new.

• Evernote Expert
7 hours ago, emmjayess said:

A guy can dream, can't he? 🤷‍♂️

Actually, I tried that link and could not find a "feature request" submission area.

Just submit the suggestion as a technical support issue.

The Feedback option is returning to applications. Use that it you have it.

On 29/7/2023 at 17:59, Mike P dijo:

Don't forget you can then filter your results by notebook after you have searched.

image.png.57fd953909aeceebb2da2ff06b475015.png

Thanks, @Mike P!! 
I'm experiencing the same problem with permissions (Win 10, Evernote 10.59.5), but your method of selecting the Notebook as a filter works. I have to do it twice (don't know why... the first time, it doesn't apply the filter, then I do it again and it works). It is a little annoying but at least I can navigate...

• Evernote Expert

This is an issue with the 10.59.5 release. Some users have found an earlier release and reverted to that.

Otherwise a new release is scheduled for the end of this week or more likely early next.

1 minute ago, agsteele said:

Otherwise a new release is scheduled for the end of this week or more likely early next.

Do we have any evidence that the scheduled release will solve the problems in 10.59.5? I have certainly not had any feedback from my support requests that they have even been able to reproduce the problems, yet alone solve them. My experience is that patches for bugs tend to get introduced in a few releases time from when they are created. I guess if the problems on 10.59.5 are being treated with greater priority , then a solution could happen earlier, but again I have seen nothing to give me any hope.

I had hoped for an off-schedule 10.59.n (where n>5) release, specifically to deal with the problems. You see I can be optimistic!

• Evernote Expert
2 hours ago, Mike P said:

Do we have any evidence that the scheduled release will solve the problems in 10.59.5? I have certainly not had any feedback from my support requests that they have even been able to reproduce the problems, yet alone solve them. My experience is that patches for bugs tend to get introduced in a few releases time from when they are created. I guess if the problems on 10.59.5 are being treated with greater priority , then a solution could happen earlier, but again I have seen nothing to give me any hope.

I see evidence neither way. I simply observed that there is a release scheduled for the end of this week. Given that I've not experienced any of the 10.59.5 issues I've not had to raise any support interaction.  But I did raise the 10.59 issues in the Experts conversation last week. They had already been reported a week earlier so I am sure that the issues are noticed. It will depend upon how complex the issue is to resolve.

• Thanks 1
8 hours ago, GerardCS said:

I have to do it twice (don't know why... the first time, it doesn't apply the filter, then I do it again and it works).

That is another feature of the 10.59.5 problem. Tags applied as a filter, either through the filter menu or the sidebar, need to be selected twice. You don't have to select the same tag twice, it is just that only every other click works - so you can select A then B, or B then B again, to select B

4 hours ago, agsteele said:

But I did raise the 10.59 issues in the Experts conversation last week. They had already been reported a week earlier so I am sure that the issues are noticed. It will depend upon how complex the issue is to resolve.

But why the hell it is impossible to EN to simply remove this damned version from their download servers? 🤔

• Like 1
  • Level 5

AFAIK they shut down practically the whole offices in California and in Chile (where they had located a significant part of their technical staff some years ago). The tasks were moved to Milan, where Bending Spoons, the mother company is located.

If every individual staff member was replaced, we can’t know. But it was looking like a mass layoff, with some redundancy payments.

• Like 1

I'm with all of you. This issue started last week after updating to Windows 11. Thought it was the update to 11. Maybe not. Or maybe it is that in cohoots with the EN 10.59.5-win update. Same issue here. Desktop app works for a few searches at startup. Then the dreaded "no permission" popup rears its ugly face and won't go away. So far after reading some of these replies the website based version is working. But I wonder for how long. And the work around to search all of the notes and then filter is tedious at best. Especially since you have to try 2 times before it may work. This really is inexcusable. Search is my main tool. And I'd assume for most others. Especially for those of us with upwards of 15k notes. Regardless of how many notebooks there are to reduce the amount of notes.... to "scroll and find" is not an option. Looking into ways to backup and/or migrate information to another service just to be safe. 

• Like 1

When Ian Small was interviewing his engineers on YouTube during the version 10 Electron rebuild, they must have been his California-based staff. I'm assuming these employees had the best overall knowledge of what must be a very complex system. I wonder if the new crew is in over their heads. 

• Like 1

One additional comment on Permissions Lost problem:

After doing the contortions necessary to get a search to work.. you might want to SAVE the search.

I've had pretty good luck avoiding the "Permissions Lost problem " when I used saved searches.

Hope this helps...  waiting for a new version that will FIX the problem.

• Like 2

Same "no access" issue on Mac desktop app.  I did not notice the issue until updated MacOS this morning to latest Ventura patch.  What I have running:

MacOS Ventura 13.5 (22G74)

MacBook Pro M1 Max

10.59.5-mac-mas-public (5236)
Editor: v174.13.3
Service: v1.70.3

In my case, the issue starts rearing it's ugly head when I:

• apply a search term to filter results
  • apply another search filter
  • remove the first filter
  • Repeat one more time
  • ... and then something goes sideways with the filter syste.  It states 2 filters are applied but only 1 (or none) show in the Filters section.  
  • After selecting "clear" (to clear all filters),  on next new search: "Permission lost...You no longer have access to the XYZ notebook"

On 7/30/2023 at 1:07 PM, emmjayess said:

Thank you!

23 hours ago, emmjayess said:

A guy can dream, can't he? 🤷‍♂️

Actually, I tried that link and could not find a "feature request" submission area.

So, I sent the Technical Support a message--basically what I wrote above, and they just answered:

I understand that you're getting a "You no longer have access to the notebook" error.

I have checked on my end and can confirm that this is an issue that our development team is already aware of. While I am unable to confirm if this will be fixed on the next update, please know that our team is working for a solution on this. My apologies for the inconvenience this is causing you.

In addition, please know that Evernote will continue to exist despite the acquisition and changes that have been made. However, your honest feedback is greatly appreciated and I'll take note of it as a feature request to our development team,

Thank you for your time and patience.

Of course, they always said they were aware of the Find & Replace requests, but that took years to be implemented. So who knows?! 🤷‍♂️

Surprise! I also just received a reply from Tech support (Eden S.).  
Here are the 2 paragraphs of most importance:

"Upon checking our resources, it appears that our team is currently aware of this issue. Although I don't yet have a time frame for when this issue will be resolved, I can assure you that we're working diligently to fix it as quickly as possible. I understand that this could be causing disruptions to your workflow, but we are hoping to release a fix for this in an upcoming update.

Please try to search within all notes as a workaround while you're unable to search in the notebook view."

On 7/28/2023 at 6:40 PM, amInMarina said:

Thanks for the instructions for a workaround. I haven't tried it yet because I'm too pissed off and need to calm down for bedtime. I will try it tomorrow. I'm sorry I clicked on the "relaunch to update" link.

Check for updates message:

"Stay tuned! We're working hard behind the scenes to fix bugs and add new features to help you accomplish more every day."

Right now, we don't need new features. No need to bundle the next update with new features.

It's time for an urgent update to the current system to fix access to Evernote.

This is akin to OneDrive, Dropbox, Google Drive, or iCloud Drive going down. How long would one of these online storage systems stay offline if they knew how to fix the problem?

Evernote, it's time roll back to your prior version. Your system is down and your users are frustrated. 

No new features.

Just give us the old version ... NOW!

• Like 2

I might as well chime in as another paid user of Evernote for many years. I updated from Evernote 6 to 10 kicking and screaming. My experience with 10 has been less than thrilling. But this Permissions Lost search thing takes the cake. Just bit me in the ass this morning, so I came here looking for insight, and boy did I find it. 

People have mentioned rolling back to the 58 version. Is there a link to that anywhere? Or were they just diligent in keeping past installers? 

• Level 5

In fact I keep the installer files of apps that I update or install - but more out of practical reasons, emptying my trash only every other month. Sometimes it is useful. But not in this case, because I’m on Macs.

A source for older installers, including the most recent might be this:

https://evernote.de.uptodown.com/windows/versions

Just keep in mind that the „new“ old version will try to update again. To stop this, you need to modify 2 .json files. You find the thread probably in the forum when you search for it.

• Level 5
5 hours ago, Jason Goldsmith said:

Check for updates message:

"Stay tuned! We're working hard behind the scenes to fix bugs and add new features to help you accomplish more every day."

Right now, we don't need new features. No need to bundle the next update with new features.

It's time for an urgent update to the current system to fix access to Evernote.

This is akin to OneDrive, Dropbox, Google Drive, or iCloud Drive going down. How long would one of these online storage systems stay offline if they knew how to fix the problem?

Evernote, it's time roll back to your prior version. Your system is down and your users are frustrated. 

No new features.

Just give us the old version ... NOW!

Probably no point in saying this, but ... Evernote is not here. The forums are almost entirely user to user. If and when someone from Evernote staff may scan over them, we do not know. So this is not the best way to address requests, let alone demands, to them. For that, https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/requests/new, although that department is pretty well swamped at the moment.

I'll join the chorus - I have the same problem and likely the same reaction everyone has. My problem is I run a business using Evernote. This error wipes out my ability to run my month-end.

Has anyone found a similar product that we could migrate to?

Same. Just edited a note in my History notebook and have now lost permissions to my notebook. Using a MacBook Pro. Notebook doesn't even show up in my list of notebooks any more. This is scary -- how many of my notebooks are going to disappear!!?

Dear Evernote Dev team,

We appreciate you are working to fix the issue at hand as soon as possible however, a _working_ version (any!) is better than waiting for an update to the update that fixes the update that was broken.  That should be priority number one.  Workarounds are great, but they require _work_ and we have enough on our plate without extra.

Please  provide us the ability to roll-back to 10.58.xx (or whatever came before 10.59.5 that crippled usability and/or  a link to Mac, Windows, etc platforms previously working versions with roll-back instructions.  That is an easy "fix" to us marooned users while you sort out whatever faulty code is... at fault.  

Thank you for your understanding and urgent attention to the issue at hand.

Thanks, Expert.   Doing a search from Home as opposed to within a notebook seems to be a successful work-around.  I was also able to sign into the Evernote website and do a search within a notebook.  However, I didn't try this repeatedly and someone mentioned that the problem emerged after several searches within a notebook.  I wonder if the programmers are aware of this?  Certainly, they keep their eyes on the Community, yes?  

• Level 5
1 hour ago, Jason Goldsmith said:

... my whole Evernote system is broken and unusable. 

Looks like your EN install is broken. Log out, uninstall using Revo Uninstaller, restart the PC.

Download the installer from the EN website. Install, log in. You see your account, and can use it. For full offline use let the app run for a while - it will download your content to local storage.

• Like 1
On 7/31/2023 at 8:06 PM, AlbertR said:

But why the hell it is impossible to EN to simply remove this damned version from their download servers? 🤔

Actually I think the windows version is not for download anymore. On my windows machines https://evernote.com/de-de/download only gives me the link to the 10.54.4 version for mac (.dmg). No windows download on the official website actually. Obviously a roll back for mac, too. No idea, why they do not offer the roll back for windows, too. Maybe only a bad linking?

I am having this issue, as well. (Error: You no longer have access to the ___ Notebook" when I try to search in a Notebook.  I used the workaround of searching all Notes, then filter by Notebook. Seems to be working for now. I hope they fix this issue soon.

12 hours ago, Alxa said:

Actually I think the windows version is not for download anymore.

Yep - link points to a 10.54 which is more than one step back 🤔. Unfortunately I didn't log newly introduced features with all the versions - so this might be one of the pre-RTE versions?

Beforehand it's a good sign that 10.59 has been removed. But it's a kind of chaotic (italian 😉) management of the problem 😞

25 minutes ago, AlbertR said:

Unfortunately I didn't log newly introduced features with all the versions

But EN does it 👍Previous release notes for Evernote for Windows

26 minutes ago, AlbertR said:

so this might be one of the pre-RTE versions?

RTE itself is not mentioned directly. But 10.55 was the first one with the phrase "We are focused on strengthening the foundations of Evernote across all platforms.".

So they are refocusing to really stable sync methods? 🤔

• Thanks 1

Thank you for the link. This is really a huge roll back step. Just checked, onboarding for windows users still not possible as there is no official windows client download offered. Something serious must be going on... Lost trust in the software and the new development handling with it, switched to legacy only on windows until this is sorted out by Evernote.

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, agsteele said:

If I go to the Download page, click download I get 10.59.5

Same here, but the name of the download is now hidden. So you either have to at least begin the download or start looking under the bonnet of the download button to find out what the current download is.

13 minutes ago, Jeffav said:

Same issue 'permissions lost' in version 10.59.5

Hope this is not a sign of how things are going to go with Evernote loosing most of their staff a decision by the new Italian owner, Bending Spoons

https://www.theverge.com/2023/7/9/23789012/evernote-layoff-us-staff-bending-spoons-note-taking-app

Thanks, Jeff, for that news.  I didn't have a clue until this moment.  That gives chill bumps -- I've got so much material on Evernote, as most of us probably do.

Anyone have a RIVAL APP they'd recommend???    Thanks in advance!

21 minutes ago, Bob-on-Evernote said:

Anyone have a RIVAL APP they'd recommend???

Quite a lot of discussion here that might start you off:

I'm currently looking at 

image.png.a9d3a65656b01208605950e52af06d76.png

I still prefer EN, but if 10.59.5 is not a one-off, I may need to reconsider

47 minutes ago, Mike P said:

I'm currently looking at 

image.png.a9d3a65656b01208605950e52af06d76.png

I still prefer EN, but if 10.59.5 is not a one-off, I may need to reconsider

I sure hope it doesn't come to this. Up to this point, I had been appreciating the ability to use Evernote as a "Personal/Business Archive App" and OneNote as an "Active Business Project Use" app. The separation worked well for me. 

It looks like even though it says "Permissions Lost" they're really not lost. It is a bug in the software for sure. Pink Elephant's workaround works fine. Writing software is like whack-a-mole... you fix one thing and another problem pops up. It's just the nature of the beast. And then when you introduce a new feature, chasing all the new bugs starts all over again. It's annoying but as long as there's a workaround, it's tolerable. I'm willing to be patient. I still think Evernote is the best of them all! :)

• Like 1
On 7/28/2023 at 6:40 PM, amInMarina said:

• Go to "home"
  • Go to "Notes"
  • under the Notes list panel, select the filter icon, then
    • in the filter form (add filters)
      • specify the notebook (the "Located in" field) you want to search
      • specify additional filters, including tag(s)

NOTE: if the filter form does not show a "Located in" field, you'll have to try other options, including boolean search of notes where you specify your search terms and include notebook: and or tags:  in the standard search bar.

Have not tried on the web app, but the windows desktop app works OK.

If the "Located in:" does not show up in the filter form, you know the notebook will have the permissions problem and you'll have to start over (with home>notes ...)

Good clear and concise summary of successful workaround. Successful on Windows desktop version. Tried it on web version - also works, but pay careful attention to the filters actually "taking." I mean that the web version failed to apply the second filter for tags, but immediately selecting that same filter for tag again was successful. This seems to be a difference between desktop and web versions, but I will try to replicate my findings on both platforms and report here.

I haven't read all 95 posts above, but just adding my name to the list. I'm experiencing this same problem on Windows 10.

10.59.5-win-ddl-public (5236)
Editor: v174.13.3
Service: v1.70.3

• Like 1

Same as RussP41 above - I'm adding my name for Windows 11. It's unsettling to receive this message. And I have received it now for two notebooks, one Wed, Aug 2, and one today Fri, Aug 4. And I'm noticing the first report was July 26 - so this has persisted for over one week.

• Like 1