REQUEST: "Format Painter"

nefianna

Idea

• Level 5*
Is there a way to quickly copy format (font in particular) in Evernote 4.x?

Nope. The only workaround that I can think of is to copy a piece of text with the formatting that you want (one character should do it), and paste it in to the place that you want to use the formatting, then type what you want. Then go back and delete the piece that you pasted.

For example:

Here's my starting point: "Here is my text with fancy styling. I want the same fancy styling "

Pick up the 'f', and paste it at the end of the second sentence: "Here is my text with fancy styling. I want the same fancy styling f"

Type the rest of your text: "Here is my text with fancy styling. I want the same fancy styling fhere."

Delete the pasted bit: "Here is my text with fancy styling. I want the same fancy styling here."

But there's no way to apply a formatting style to an existing piece of text that I know of.

If not, is this going to be added in the near future? I'd consider this basic functionality.

Not up to me. It'd be a nice touch, though.

~Jeff

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Thanks jbenson2 and jefito. I said "format painter" because most people know what that does, but I'd be ok if the font drop down "remembered" previosly applied fonts and put them at the top of the list for example or having a quick font select button like the Underlined or Italics buttons which would make applying different format on a note more efficient.

• Like 1

I am not only using Evernote for web clipping, sharing information with others by hand written notes as work prospect etc. Please add "Format Painter" feature to make thousands life easier.

Thanks

Nickelage

+1. Yep, definitely a must to compete with OneNote. This is probably not an easy feature request, but I'm sure your talented engineers could come up with a creative solve.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

I don't remember exactly when but I started requesting this type of feature well over a year ago:

http://discussion.ev...6892#entry76892

Not sure why but nobody seemed very interested in the idea -- To this day I think I am one of the few maniacs (as I assume the EN staff would call me) that cares to use >1 font within their notes. I am the type of deranged lunatic who likes to organize, beautify and style my notes consistently so that text stands out and is easy on my eyes when I go back to later recall things. I am just the kind of sicko who likes to click just One time when styling a block of text rather than Eleven.

Apparently we are, with the exception of the few who have +1'd this thread, a minority within the EN user base.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Well, I hope that this feature will be added soon, 8 months ago dlu sent me a message telling me: "Thanks for the suggestion, I saw that thread earlier. I have it down as a feature request.", so they have this feature on their list, but with a low priority I suppose

+1

I've been using Evernote for a couple years now and none of the problems I've experienced was enough to get me to sign up on the forum (upgrade problems, text randomly disappearing when editing/switching between Win7 desktop and Android app, etc.) but format painter would be huge.

I spend an inordinate amount of time dealing with formatting issues in Evernote, especially when using it to organize and keep notes on source code, SQL schema, Linux terminal output, etc... It's nice to be able to have prose/documentation in a proportional font and everything else that is terminal output in monospace so everything lines up correctly.

Like others, I only care about this feature in the desktop version. I doubt anyone really needs it that badly in the mobile versions. If format painter is too hard, maybe just the ability to set pre-defined styles rather than having to highlight, select a font face, select a font size, select a font color, etc.?

Thanks!

• Level 5

Looks like we got a major upgrade to v5  on the Windows client today. They claim "packed with over 100 new features" — I guess adding an easy way to style text (a.k.a Format Painter) must have been Feature #101 on the To Do List

8ac32f65.png

Please, add a format painter or custom styles. So incredibly tedious to do it in an efficient manner. IF you can't add this, then you could at least expose all your formatting/font/styling, ALL of it, to keyboard shortcuts - Please, please please! Thanks for your eyeballs and attention

+1

Evernote is for collecting ideas and information from different places. However, without format painter, it hurts to organize those info from different places into one note nicely. That is also the reason why I am using Google docs, instead of evernote,  to collect those important stuff which need to be nicely organized together.

I had my Evernote account for a long time, used premium for some time as well. Never felt using to take text note (I was really content with google drive), again started the Evernote premium two days back for important documentation and saw it lacks the format painter tool.. :( really disappointing. A note tool without a format painter?? and it's been reported back in 2010..and still nobody cares?  

Please can the developers of Evernote think about this seriously? Thanks.

I say this with regret, so don't misunderstand... I'm done with evernote.

Features like reminders I couldn't care less about. I had those on mac and on windows.

Missing features like:

• Format Painter
  • Basic image editing
  • Ability to quickly jot something down without finding a place for it first
  • Organized Notebooks that make sense ... i.e. can create a notebook in another notebook without having to drag it in

I like evernote, but there are such glaring deficiencies that other tools do a better job. The only reason I'm writing this is in hopes at some point in the future it will improve... 

I've looked at everything on the market, and I'm literally switching today to Apple Notes and Google Docs (documents) as a replacement option.

Good luck guys.

+1 please please please

I use evernote to document command line and programming notes. Its a MUST to separate thoughts from code or commands. This would make a HUGE difference in readablitiy.

Just as a quick fix, Just add styles to the hightlighter.  It's basically a hardcoded format painter.

• Like 1

OMG, PLEASE ADD THIS - using any formatting is so painful right now!  Seriously, I love Evernote & rely on it but without styles and/or format painter it is REALLY hard to do any formatting!

The ability to copy and paste the formatting of another part of the text (colour, font, size, spacing etc) is something that is incredibly useful in other word processing products, and the inclusion of a similar function would be greatly appreciated!

(apologies if a duplicate post, couldn't find one in the forum archive)

• Like 3

Absolutely mind-boggling that this feature is not already in there.  How do you support all common formatting options found in standard word formatting applications and not this.  If you're going to support anything outside of 'plain text' abilities, (i.e. fonts, colors, bolds, bullets, etc), then the support of format painter is a very obvious inclusion.  Virtually every other rich text application I use has this—even google docs has it!  It happens to be very useful in that I don't have to point-and-click countless times all over my note highlighting various text and then applying the same exact formatting in a very tedious and frustrating manner.  No brainer, really.

• Like 1

I can't believe this thread has been going since 2010 - 6 years and still nothing has been done about it.

The absence of 'Format Painter' is enough for me to consider moving to another productivity tool.  Evernote is great but this simple function is not a luxury but a necessity.  Its 2016 and people want to be productive and efficient.  Having to click Bold, then increase font size, then change colour, every paragraph is anything but productive and efficient.  

I'm a Premium subscriber but seriously considering jumping ship to another tool such as OneNote

• Like 1

Format Painter NOW!!! 

When I copy and paste from websites, please,  at least give me a special paste, stripped of all external formatting.

Cmon even Word Pad has this and it's older than the developers at Evernote.

• Like 1
On 11/16/2015 at 4:15 PM, ReganHouse37 said:

Absolutely mind-boggling that this feature is not already in there.  How do you support all common formatting options found in standard word formatting applications and not this.  If you're going to support anything outside of 'plain text' abilities, (i.e. fonts, colors, bolds, bullets, etc), then the support of format painter is a very obvious inclusion.  Virtually every other rich text application I use has this—even google docs has it!  It happens to be very useful in that I don't have to point-and-click countless times all over my note highlighting various text and then applying the same exact formatting in a very tedious and frustrating manner.  No brainer, really.

Agree 100% For some strange reason Evernote team has avoided to implementing a good text editor for a long time now. Even the editor in Forums can do more in some areas. But they are working on "Editor" changes in the Evernote  from what I understand. I hope we see it soon.

+1. This is badly needed. Formatting in my online Notes is all over the place depending on the source from which I've copied it - I need to be able to match destination formatting at least and Format Painter should be available too.

19 hours ago, CleverGoat said:

This works for me.  You just have to edit all of the text components via Cntrl + D.  Then when you hit F4, it translates all the attributes.

What functions are Ctrl+D and F4 assigned to?

The inability to correctly format text is what keeps me from buying into Evernote and really using it. Even the "remove formatting" tool doesn't even really work. I'd be willing to go in and correct the formatting to what I want if I could just get rid of all formatting. As an example, I had a note with all our family doctors with addresses, phone numbers, websites copied from their individual websites. The note was a hot mess with different fonts, sizes, spacing, etc. In attempting to remove all formatting to get all the text consistent, all it did was remove "bold" and changed some spacing but it was hardly consistent. I ended up copy+paste into Word, made it look how I want, and then pasted it into back into Evernote - and there is STILL formatting issues. And the edit toolbar doesn't have a line spacing option. It's just ridiculous that formatting text is such a hassle and obstacle. 

• Level 5*

The editor package was being updated and rewritten to be portable between all Evernote versions,  which (theoretically) makes it easier to introduce new features across all products without Windows users or Mac users complaining too much about being left out.  A 'new' editor was released for desktop and mobiles a little while ago,  which will presumably be the basis for future upgrades.  I'd imagine work continues,  although Evernote don't (usually) give progress reports.  And yes,  I agree a format painter would be a great additional tool!

This is an important issue for me as well! I need a few user-definable styles and a format painter. For easier development the painter could be as simple as to copy some text with desired format, then select text to be applied, then use a shortcut to apply formatting.

On 1/31/2018 at 3:40 AM, jeisenhardt said:

I really miss having a format painter for applying consistent format to sections of content made, often hastily, during a call.

This feature has been requested for a long, long time with absolutely zero response. 

At this stage, I'd be glad to hear a polite "this request cannot be implemented in Evernote."   Evernote... PLEASE let us know about this! 

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, wreckage said:

At this stage, I'd be glad to hear a polite "this request cannot be implemented in Evernote."

I don't believe this is a "cannot be implemented request".  I'd prefer to hear "this request has been implemented".

You can influence development priorities at Evernote by using the voting buttons in the top left corner of the discussion.  This request has 36 votes

I agree - this is absolutely needed for the desktop version. 

and only 8 years has passed since the first post ... I guess this is not on evernote top priority list ? ... but it should be!

Update: There is a most recent entry (only 2017!) with 100+ upvotes on it. Will be great if all of us who upvoted here, also go and vote on the following post board: 

Maybe then Evernote will eventually listen.. 

Really?

💩 and eggplant emojis, and a special button just for coding-specific formatting, but I can't apply text format from "over here" in my note to "over there" in my note? Holy Cow - the only text editing software I own without that rudimentary feature is NotePad, whose main purpose in my life is to *prevent* formatting. What a low bar that is.

After using EN intermittently for more than a decade, I assumed my inability to format gracefully was just because I had not learned the features (though not having a button was suspicious). How disappointing to come here to educate myself and find several ten-year-old threads with dozens of polite, articulate, and consistent requests for this specific feature - never implemented, or even remarked on, by EN. Just 10 years of crickets. 

+1 for me

And boo to whoever is ranking the features.  I have to infer you need 💩 more often than you need text formatting - I absolutely do not understand your workflow. 

Dear Evernote developers, could you please comment, why so needed feature like "format painter" hasn't been implemented till 10 last years?

Many useless UI changes espessially the last one with changed home screen that I have to get used to. But so voted feature is not taked into account, why? 

• Level 5

Is there a way to quickly copy format (font in particular) in Evernote 4.x? If not, is this going to be added in the near future? I'd consider this basic functionality.

Format painting is not available in Evernote. It certainly helps speed up the work of a power user. However, the ability to copy alignment settings, font size, font style, text color, background color with one drag and click is certainly not a basic function, especially for a program that has to support multiple platforms and a variety of smart phones.

I'd like to bump this thread. I'm so used to hitting Ctrl-Alt-1 for a "Header 1" style in MS Word that it was completely dumb-founded when I couldn't even find a drop-down list of preset font and paragraph styles or any way to define my own styles. I don't need a fully-functional format painter or even a full-fledged style designer. A simple equivalent to h1...h3 would go a long, LONG way. Keyboard shortcuts for those paragraph styles would probably satisfy me up completely.

• Level 5*

Ah well, the melodrama is cute and all, but nobody has actually called you any of those names; Evernote just hasn't seen fit to implement a feature like this yet, for whatever reason.

Yes please.  To be able to copy the format of text to anywhwere would be fantastic - Especially for text copied from a *.txt file where headings need to be of a larger size and bold, etc.

This is urgently needed, I feel.

Thanks.

At the very least, you should disable the old formatting when pasting.  I'd rather have it paste to the default formatting of Evernote rather than the pasted text being all over the place.  It becomes impossible to get the line space, etc correct.  Why even try if you are not going to follow through?

I don't even know how to code and i am pretty sure i could have figured this out by now.   

7 minutes ago, CleverGoat said:

At the very least, you should disable the old formatting when pasting.  I'd rather have it paste to the default formatting of Evernote rather than the pasted text being all over the place.  It becomes impossible to get the line space, etc correct.  Why even try if you are not going to follow through?

I don't even know how to code and i am pretty sure i could have figured this out by now.   

You can always paste using the SHIFT button. That will remove any formatting prior to pasting. 

7 minutes ago, CleverGoat said:

For those who want to be able to match formatting when pasting: paste with ctrl+shift+v (Windows), or right-click and choose "Paste and Match Style".

Not that that's a substitute for a proper format painter.

• Like 1