Version 10 - please, please bring back hide-note-pane (rightmost pane) option

Julian

Idea

32 replies to this idea

Sorry to necropost, but has anything been done about this?  Apart from the inconvenience of not having this quite basic feature, it also imposes a heavier load when you click on a long, media-rich notes.

• Like 1

Really fed up about this issue - why would you remove a basic bit of functionality leaving a big space permanently taken up wasting a ton of screen real estate? I love the tightly packed set of notes listing in 6.25, not I get a small number of widely spaced note listings and a huge preview pane *THAT I DON'T WANT*!!!!!

I'm recycling back to 6.25 solely for this issue, but at the Evernote roduct managers - what were you thinking? why delete an option and reduce screen real-estate? Did you even think about talking to people before you did this? It just appears to fall into the "We know best, so you get what we provide" way of thinking which is the start of terminal decline for tech companies that stop thinking about their customers needs in favour of what their internal design team like.

Also now re-investigating how to migrate off and g to MS Notes. 

• Like 1
On 10/25/2020 at 4:03 PM, Julian said:

Sadly I have v10 installed and can't 100% remember what the option was called but I previously had Evernote on my Windows 10 PC set up so that the main window only had 2 panes, the sidebar and the middle pane where you can select to see the note cards and I had the option set to disable the rightmost pane that shows the content of the currently selected note. I think that option might have been something like "Show note contents (or preview?) pane" or something like that and it was probably under the "View" menu in the previous release but I can't find it anywhere now.

If I wanted to see the contents of a note on my previous configuration I simply double-clicked on a note card or hit new-note to pop up a new window for the note. Now all that the rightmost pane does for me is waste screen space and make my main Evernote window look cluttered.

You offered the option to hide the note preview (rightmost) pane in the previous version so please, please (pretty please) implement that option in this latest version.

Your current use case is entirely reasonable. However, I think there is an additional problem. Launching a note in a separate window is incredibly slow. For me about 5 seconds is normal compared with pretty much instantaneous in the old version. Unless this speeds up considerably I'm not sure that your work flow is actually viable. So I think you need both an improvement in the speed of launch in a new window and the ability to hide the note preview.

I will add my strong agreement to idea of allowing you to hide the preview pane.  If there were any options available that were even close to what I get from Evernote this could be something I would consider changing over.  The added screen clutter and just the idea that the starting page of a note is at all useful as compared to simply double-clicking the note to do editing/viewing in a separate window is beyond me.  PLEASE bring back the option to hide the preview pane.

• Like 2

Another voice in the chorus.  I am willing to take the perceived performance hit.  I do not want to have my display real estate taken up by the note.  Give me a scrolling list of notes and I'll decide what I want to see.

This might be a show stopper for my continued use of Evernote.  Still on the fence.

• Like 1

Ok... while we are all waiting for Evernote to take the hint and allow us to hide the preview pane I have a pseudo-workaround, albeit, a kinda lame one.

Move the main Evernote window to the right of your screen so that the preview pane extends past the edge of the screen, hence, out of sight.  It's not the prettiest alternative, but it does reduce the space it takes up, though it does tweak my somewhat anal need to center windows on the screen.

As I noted... kinda lame.

On 11/12/2020 at 9:40 AM, rah1420 said:

Another voice in the chorus.  I am willing to take the perceived performance hit.  I do not want to have my display real estate taken up by the note.  Give me a scrolling list of notes and I'll decide what I want to see.

This might be a show stopper for my continued use of Evernote.  Still on the fence.

This. All of it

• Like 1

I support hiding the preview pane also. It is in fact a privacy feature for when we are out of social distancing. I dont want someone looking over my shoulder and seeing the potentially private contents of notes which I do not even have open.

• Like 3

Incredible that the option to hide/remove the note content was removed. 

Please put the option back - then everyone can choose how they want to use this aspect of evernote.

• Like 1

I totally agree, although from a different perspective. I like having the extreme left pane, with my name, the "new note" and the trash can, etc. Then I like the rest of the space to be occupied by the current note I am working on - i.e.; most of the screen. I do not need the "All Notes" pane. In its current configuration, it takes up too much space and reduces the amount of space to write in. I understand people may want it and may wish to hide the extreme left pane, etc. But at least give us the option!

I spent months being told by my desktop version that there was no update. Finally decided to look online and check. Lo and behold, an update several numbers higher than my version. Once I installed it, it began trumpeting the new features - BUT no mention of removed features and reduced functionality. I appreciate that I have a free version, but I can't understand any upgrade that removes a useful feature and makes the potential workspace more cluttered.

I have tried other software, but kept Evernote because I liked the interface and the way that I could organise and view my notes. Now, I feel that it is much less attractive, simply because my writing space is compressed. Yes, I can remove the extreme left hand pane, but I do not want all my notes visible in little boxes. This is not just about privacy when working near others, but about having a less cluttered work area - this does not just mean physical space, but not being distracted by notes which may have nothing to do with the current topic. Other software has better functionality for things like databases/calendars, list views and so on, but is not as easy or natural for writing with. If Evernote wants to keep its customers, including those who might upgrade, then they need to do something about this.

Sadly, the fact that my software has told me for a year that there was no update, when there was, makes me think they won't bother. In which case, I have a notion that some of us will, regretfully, go elsewhere.

• Like 1

This is a must have feature for me. I typically access multiple notes at once, often on a small screen, which means that I must use the screen area as effectively as possible.  To accomplish that I hide the note panel and disable Snippet, Card, and Thumbnail Views. When I want to view a new note I reveal the main window (which may be hidden or minimized), double click the note of interest to view it in its own window, and minimize the main window again. This way I take up screen space for the note list only when needed instead of all the time. I've done this ever since I started using Evernote, and it's the most effective way for me to work given my constraints. Please bring this capability back. 

For what it's worth I previously reported this to Support.  They said "We haven’t built this feature into the new Evernote app. This is one of a handful of features we are still considering. Thanks for letting us know this feature is important to you. I will share this information with our product team." 

So, there's hope. 

• Like 2

I've simply registered on this forum to support this thread. Hiding note panel is essential for working with several notes and the notes list.

Also agree with Hopeful Theologian on

Once I installed it, it began trumpeting the new features - BUT no mention of removed features and reduced functionality. I appreciate that I have a free version, but I can't understand any upgrade that removes a useful feature and makes the potential workspace more cluttered."

I use evernote for a few years with paid subscription but installing this new version made me feel bad about using evernote at all. I would expect evernote team to work better in managing customers expectations.

Adding my name to the list.  I'm really surprised that the developers made such a big change when they have such a mature installed base. 

At the very least, please give us the option to toggle the preview pane.  I think it's quite absurd that this is the default, baked-in view, when people are using devices with smaller screens and/or may simply not wish to see a note preview.

It's not the end of the world, but it's kinda cr*ppy.  Like Evernote just became a chair with only three legs.

• Like 1

I find it incredibly distracting that over a third of my Evernote screen is taken up by a view of a note that has no relevance to what I am trying to do at that moment in time, and furthermore I have to wait while that note loads!

Ruined!

• Like 2

THX for pointing me to that feature at all 🙂. My screen is wide and CPU fast enough to always show the note content. Now - after Ctrl-F11 - I've a pretty overview of much more notes...

But: This makes it more important to get a possibility to change note tite, times, tags and even the notebook of notes from within a note list - without the need to open a note first (something like F2 - which focusses to change the note title in the note editing window in EN-11 but does nothing in Legacy if note window is not present 😞)

Ah, might this - https://evernote.com/blog/see-evernote-like-never-before-with-home/ - explain what to me was such an infuriating and perplexing removal of the hide-note-pane option that totally broke the way I used Evernote? I am still using the previous version of EN simply because of the loss of this option.

If this new Home dashboard can be configured such that the only widget on it is a list of all selected notes (via search, tags etc - or all notes if no selection criteria are in place) then that essentially reverts to the legacy setup I am running at the moment so long as whenever I click on a note in the notes widget it opens it in a new window leaving the EN main window still displaying the Home dashboard.  In fact this new Home dashboard is probably better than the simple hide-note-pane legacy option because it would give me the ability to have one widget at the very top with a few of my most used notes (e.g. I have a note called "*SCRATCHPAD*" if I want to very quickly jot down someone's number, essentially a virtual PostIt note) and then have my main notes list using the other 90% of the Home display. (I see that EN has explicitly created a "Scratchpad" widget so I would probably use that as a replacement for my "*SCRATCHPAD*" note depending on how the Home functionality transfers to the iPhone and iPad versions.)

If Home can be configured as I hope then that would resolve my concern and get me to switch from the legacy to the latest version. From reading that blog post I'm not sure if the Notes widget can actually display all or selected notes, they only talk about "recent" and "suggested", but if the direction of travel is enhancements to Home then I will certainly be trying out this new feature to see if it gets me close to, totally back to, or maybe even slightly beyond the legacy version in terms of what I consider a clean and efficient screen layout.

I do note however that the blog post says that "If you’re an Evernote Premium or Business customer, you can resize, reorder, or remove widgets to customize your Home" which I assume means non-premium users can't. I'm a premium user so that isn't a concern for me but as a community-minded person it would still feel very wrong to me that Evernote has worsened the user interface for non-premium users who use EN as I do and won't, as far as I can see from reading the blog post, have the possibility of configuring Home to reproduce the previous note-pane-hidden appearance so although I might have an escape route on this one I'm still left a bit perplexed as to why EN removed such a basic option.