Version 10 - please, please bring back hide-note-pane (rightmost pane) option

Julian

Idea

Sadly I have v10 installed and can't 100% remember what the option was called but I previously had Evernote on my Windows 10 PC set up so that the main window only had 2 panes, the sidebar and the middle pane where you can select to see the note cards and I had the option set to disable the rightmost pane that shows the content of the currently selected note. I think that option might have been something like "Show note contents (or preview?) pane" or something like that and it was probably under the "View" menu in the previous release but I can't find it anywhere now.

If I wanted to see the contents of a note on my previous configuration I simply double-clicked on a note card or hit new-note to pop up a new window for the note. Now all that the rightmost pane does for me is waste screen space and make my main Evernote window look cluttered.

You offered the option to hide the note preview (rightmost) pane in the previous version so please, please (pretty please) implement that option in this latest version.

• Like 9

14 replies to this idea

Completely agree with this. Evernote just went from an essential part of my desktop to taking up way too much space to keep open all the time. Please bring this option back 

• Like 4

Absolutely agree. I strongly dislike the distraction of having note view open all the time.  Seriously, the option to hide note view needs reinstating asap.   

• Like 1
On 10/25/2020 at 4:03 PM, Julian said:

Sadly I have v10 installed and can't 100% remember what the option was called but I previously had Evernote on my Windows 10 PC set up so that the main window only had 2 panes, the sidebar and the middle pane where you can select to see the note cards and I had the option set to disable the rightmost pane that shows the content of the currently selected note. I think that option might have been something like "Show note contents (or preview?) pane" or something like that and it was probably under the "View" menu in the previous release but I can't find it anywhere now.

If I wanted to see the contents of a note on my previous configuration I simply double-clicked on a note card or hit new-note to pop up a new window for the note. Now all that the rightmost pane does for me is waste screen space and make my main Evernote window look cluttered.

You offered the option to hide the note preview (rightmost) pane in the previous version so please, please (pretty please) implement that option in this latest version.

Your current use case is entirely reasonable. However, I think there is an additional problem. Launching a note in a separate window is incredibly slow. For me about 5 seconds is normal compared with pretty much instantaneous in the old version. Unless this speeds up considerably I'm not sure that your work flow is actually viable. So I think you need both an improvement in the speed of launch in a new window and the ability to hide the note preview.

I will add my strong agreement to idea of allowing you to hide the preview pane.  If there were any options available that were even close to what I get from Evernote this could be something I would consider changing over.  The added screen clutter and just the idea that the starting page of a note is at all useful as compared to simply double-clicking the note to do editing/viewing in a separate window is beyond me.  PLEASE bring back the option to hide the preview pane.

Another voice in the chorus.  I am willing to take the perceived performance hit.  I do not want to have my display real estate taken up by the note.  Give me a scrolling list of notes and I'll decide what I want to see.

This might be a show stopper for my continued use of Evernote.  Still on the fence.

• Like 1

Ok... while we are all waiting for Evernote to take the hint and allow us to hide the preview pane I have a pseudo-workaround, albeit, a kinda lame one.

Move the main Evernote window to the right of your screen so that the preview pane extends past the edge of the screen, hence, out of sight.  It's not the prettiest alternative, but it does reduce the space it takes up, though it does tweak my somewhat anal need to center windows on the screen.

As I noted... kinda lame.

On 11/12/2020 at 9:40 AM, rah1420 said:

Another voice in the chorus.  I am willing to take the perceived performance hit.  I do not want to have my display real estate taken up by the note.  Give me a scrolling list of notes and I'll decide what I want to see.

This might be a show stopper for my continued use of Evernote.  Still on the fence.

This. All of it

I support hiding the preview pane also. It is in fact a privacy feature for when we are out of social distancing. I dont want someone looking over my shoulder and seeing the potentially private contents of notes which I do not even have open.