F2 to change any note property inside a note list

AlbertR

Idea

Background: A note list is configurable and sortable by note properties like title, dates, notebook and so on... It's the perfect tool to search and order masses of notes.

Use case: During gardening work on such note masses, I want to set created day, reminder time, note title, notebook and even tags of notes to specific values. But therefore I have to go to the note editing window...

User Story: I want to change all note properties inline within a note list - like we all know it from other grids like Excel. I want to

• point to a field (by using a mouse click or by navigating using keyboard arrow-keys and page up/down
  • press F2 to enter an inline change mode of the current field
  • change or input some new values (hopefully type checked with regard to dates or tags - allow only already defined ones!)
  • press ENTER to end the change

• Like 1

6 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Currently, Evernote presents a note list panel   
- Side List and Top List are view options and  provide a grid view of metadata (desktop platforms)
- Column options are limited to specific metadata fields    
- Sort options are limited to specific metadata fields

>>I want to set created day, reminder time, note ...

Currently, the note list panel is view-only with no edit functionality

I know this - but I want to have enhanced it 😉

About sorting: Legacy allows to sort by any field that might be displayed. EN-10 restricts sorting to Titel, Changed and Created date - why? From a programmer's point of view, Side List and Top List are grids of which all modern frameworks offer simple to implement sort opions... This makes me optimistic about sorting.

Changing viewing grid cells to editable grid cells is more sophisticated and might take some more time to implement. But they can start to think about at every (near) time...

• Like 1

So frustrating. I finally relented recently due to the nag popups and upgraded to v10. I avoided it as long as possible. 

They removed so many features it is sickening. I used to import notes in bulk and then edit the creation time of each note for sorting/filtering. 

Can't do that anymore. 

Why???

12 minutes ago, Harry Slaughter said:

I used to import notes in bulk and then edit the creation time of each note for sorting/filtering.

You can still sort (by some of the fields) and filter the note list, but you cannot edit the creation time directly in the list - I don't recall whether you could do that in legacy. However if the a note is highlighted in the note list then ctrl+shift+I will bring up the note information panel and the creation date can be changed there. All date fields, wherever you come across them, are pretty hard to change by anything other than a few days within the same month.

16 minutes ago, Harry Slaughter said:

Why???

Who knows. Just fellow users here.

Just one of so many features they removed. Another one they removed was the ability to sync to a local directory. So you could automatically import a folder full of other docs you might be working with.

And the slowness is unbearable. 

• Level 5

Use Import folders.

What for me is becoming unbearable is the attitude of some fellow users to post statements (misleading ones) instead of asking the simple question „HOW can I …“.

If you want a tip about speed, just ask …

• Like 1