Please bring back GRID VIEW for notebooks

ericwicklund

Idea

@cmartin44 - Yes, I think it probably is a subscription-cancelling level issue for me too.  I've been a premium user for 5+ years, and the lack of having multiple columns for notebooks has made it unusable for me... I'm in awe that they did this in a "upgrade"

• Level 5*
21 hours ago, cmartin44 said:

is really a subscription-cancelling level issue

Personally, I would just delay implementing the software upgrade; or downgrade to a previous version
I'm not being forced to use this version

• Level 5*
13 minutes ago, micheleley said:

I'm unwilling to pay to have to downgrade.

Evernote does not charge for any of the software versions.

>>I would have had they clearly communicated what the upgrade included.

I agree; it should have been clearly stated

43 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Evernote does not charge for any of the software versions.

>>I would have had they clearly communicated what the upgrade included.

I agree; it should have been clearly stated

I didn't communicate clearly - I meant that if I have to downgrade to a functional-to-me version, I'm unwilling to pay. If they'd communicated clearly beforehand, that's another story.

Is it possible to downgrade to get the grid layout? I'm a daily user of Evernote for several years now and am having so much trouble using it without the grid layout. Has anyone found a link or a way to downgrade? 

I'm spending time looking into Zoho and some other options, but if I could just downgrade today, I'd do it. Please let me know.

On 11/17/2017 at 11:06 PM, cmartin44 said:

I understand people have wishes for the software (we all do), but is really a subscription-cancelling level issue for you? I'm just curious because to me, while yes Evernote is imperfect, it is valuable service for me and I would not subscribe/cancel based on something like this. Are (were) you a paying customer? Legit curious why this is a dealbreaker.  

Yes, it absolutely IS a subscription-cancelling-level issue for me. I have been a paying customer for quite a few years, and the ability to view my items in the way that works best for me is imperative. The grid view feature has been an integral part of EN for as long as I've used it. EN's unwillingness to even acknowledge unhappy users' concerns only adds to the frustration. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, LindaElle said:

Yes, it absolutely IS a subscription-cancelling-level issue for me. I have been a paying customer for quite a few years, and the ability to view my items in the way that works best for me is imperative. The grid view feature has been an integral part of EN for as long as I've used it. EN's unwillingness to even acknowledge unhappy users' concerns only adds to the frustration. 

+1

• Like 4
  • Level 5*
37 minutes ago, RSB said:

Why isn't this feature listed in Evernote Feature Requests

The  Evernote Feature Requests forum is used for general cross-platform requests.
This request is specific to the Mac, and is correctly posted in the Mac feedback forum

You can indicate your support for the request using the voting buttons in the top left corner of the discussion

• Thanks 1

UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!

This issue has still not been fixed!?!?!!!!! 

Has anyone known of these forums actually promoting a positive response from Evernote, or any response for that matter? Or is this platform a way of Evernote fobbing off its paying customers off, due to its lack of actual support?

6 pages of outraged customers and no response......Evernote doesn't give a flying F*@K about us.

57 minutes ago, Robbin_G said:

I am due to renew my 9th year of Evernote premium. This single column view is going to make me use everything I can in my Google Suite instead of paying for this horrid layout. 

I've just downgraded to 6.11. Lets see how long it takes before something breaks from age!

On 11/18/2017 at 10:37 PM, DTLow said:

How do design changes become "lack of respect"
Does this also mean the other many design changes also "show lack of respect"

Lack of notification?  We had to ask about the missing option to find out it was a design change

For example. Say you are driving a FORD Explorer and you take it in for a tuneup to Ford Service. When you get it back, FORD management decided to remove the gas peddle. They tell you that you now have to push your car and jump in and steer when it reached proper velocity. Oh " but I needed the gas peddle to make my car accelerate".  "Well too bad Mr. Consumer - you now have to push your car" says FORD management. We decided you no longer need your accelerator. I would say that is pretty damn disrespectful to you as a customer. I don't want to be notified - what I want is to leave my ***** alone. You can add but never, NEVER, take stuff away that you've given. A major rule in keeping a customer happy. Or anyone for that matter.

• Like 1

Hello again, 

I have gone back to the previous version. This is not a small change, it is a decision that completely changes the user friendly experience. I assume that the person (people) that made the decision to take away this feature did not use it themselves and therefore have trouble imagining how practical it is/was. The consequence is that many users are finding that Evernote is  going from a very practical tool to a less practical tool....Again I would like to insist and ask evernote  to please reevaluate this decision, it is important that you listen to the users if you want to keep them and not develop for the sake of developing. Thank you!

• Like 1
1 minute ago, petraquilitz said:

Same here, long time, dedicated, paying Evernote user and super disappinted about the new notebook view for all the reason people have described here in detail. Very unfortunate if something like this is done without "manners" (user testing, giving choices to go back, informing about this change ahead of time etc) Seems like trouble is ahead with this company. Have started to check out Zoho Notebook to use it in parallel for a while, as an exit strategy. I' so loayal to Evernote, it will break my little digital heart if I have to leave, but what can you do if the dark side takes over. 

So far I've got 100+ notebooks in ZoHo. I'm crossing my fingers and toes that they will add functionality at a more rapid pace. There's a lot still missing with this software, like export, sorting (on the desktop version). I jump between the web, iOS and desktop versions depending on what I need to do.  I'm just so addicted to the aesthetics of the software, I've foolishly dove in and I'm not looking back.

On 1/4/2018 at 8:14 AM, Robbin_G said:

This was the response I received from support:

I responded with, OK so ADD that option, not take away options.  Whoever ASKED for a list view doesn't have over 100 notebooks spanning a decade as I do. 

I got the same lame response. It doesn't make any sense. WTF

Same here. First time in I don't even know how many years, I have to think about what else to use instead of Evernote. This software is like an extension of my body, or like a room in my house. Makes me dizzy thinking I have to change it. Why did they do that?

• Like 2

Please Evernote....I am begging. At least allow the option for Notebook card view for the Mac on OS. I, and evidently many other users, prefer a more expansive desktop experience on our DESKTOP. I would fiercely plead this for both iPad & Mac----but if not for iPad (which has rendered my iPad Pro useless for creating notes, which is an unspeakable shame, since I'd love to have the option to create mobile, on-the-go notes----is this not what the makes of Evernote endeavored to achieve!?) but then at least for the desktop version of the app. Please. Do not remove this option from me entirely.  

I am begging. This has DRASTICALLY reduced my productivity. 

This is not merely a change for developers to argue, "it's a change, they'll get over it." In this case, "getting over it" would equate to having to resign oneself to a permanently lesser, sub-par, inferior user experience that is less effective, less productive & less easily-maneuvered for some. Have you not considered that assuming a "one-size-fits-all" approach, will exclude many!? There are many that have different manners of learning, understanding, & processing information visually--and to remove this feature is to be dismissive of that reality. 

Please. Allow the user-experience of Evernote to be pleasant for all, and not something to be fumbled over,  by those of us dismissed users, who unfortunately LOVE your app.

Please. The least you could do is allow us the "option."

I would be more than grateful to speak to someone at Evernote and offer a personal testimonial of my experience, as this issue is very important to me.

I offer my most sincere thanks for reading, and allowing me the opportunity to voice my complaints. 

Evernote price keeps going up but my satisfaction with it keeps going down. Maybe there are people out there that would like a user interface with nothing but a screen full of words-- no color, no icons, no lines, no boxes, just clean white space and words. I'm not one of them. I need icons, spatial organization, color, pictures. And, even though it might look hokey, I'll take ALL those good old skeuomorphic design elements back. The ones that have been swept away by, apparently, all the powers that be at Evernote, Apple, etc.

Please add me to the list of people requesting just the OPTION of displaying notebooks in a grid like we used to be able to.

Agreed. You need to provide options when you change something so significant as a major layout feature. Let us choose between LIST and ICON views, same as any other OS layout. Thanks! Hope you guys will take note of all this feedback for future versions. 

Same with myself, I have kept five years of Fine Art degree notes in Evernote, was about to demonstrate it to undergraduate students where I work as an option for their portfolios and am left with the list view. Suited to business apps perhaps but not the visual community who have used Evernote for THAT REASON. Have been looking at Bear as an option. If you could make the changes to keep the Thumbnail views that would be preferred, but otherwise ... paaaah. https://bear.app/faq/Import & export/Migrate from Evernote/

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Ignacy said:

STILL NO UPDATES ON THIS ISSUE!? 

57 minutes ago, SMX-CT said:

Still holding your breathe? LOL! Good luck with that.

There doesn't seem to be much interest in this request   
To indicate your support, use the vote button at the top left corner of the discussion   
The request has 128 user votes

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, ericwicklund said:

On my MAC with 6.12 my grid/list view option under <VIEW> menu has been removed.   Can we no longer display notebooks in Grid? 

Short answer - No, you can’t have notebook grid view if you upgrade to 6.12

This was just discussed at 

Hello,

With the current update to version 6.12 on macOS, the standard multi-column view has been changed to single-column. Is there a way to change this back please? When one has a lot of notebooks or stacks, its very unwieldy to try and scan for folders by scrolling though a single column that takes up the entire width of the application window.

Thanks. 

Tunde

single column view v6.12.png

• Like 7
  • Level 5*
On 2017-09-02 at 7:00 PM, adeyemob said:

Is there a way to change this back please? When one has a lot of notebooks or stacks, its very unwieldy to try and scan for folders by scrolling though a single column that takes up the entire width of the application window.

The notebook list is a "feature" of v6.12

You have the option of reverting to v6.11 which has the grid layout

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 minute ago, GoProBeta said:

I would not have upgraded.  As it stands, I will reconsider other options for me and my team.

One option would be to downgrade to a previous version.

• Like 4

Fully agree with this. I use the notebook feature a lot and having all of my notebooks in a single list is cumbersome and difficult to navigate. I don't understand why this feature was removed for the new update but regardless of the reason, please bring it back. 

• Like 1

The stacks feature is great for a simplified view, but what happens when there are 20+ notebooks within one stack? Before you could expand a stack and see all of the notebooks at a glance. Now you have to scroll down to see all of the notebooks within a single stack. It adds friction for those users with large stacks. At least before there was an option to turn off the list view for those users who preferred the grid layout.

• Like 1
On 9/2/2017 at 7:00 PM, adeyemob said:

Hello,

With the current update to version 6.12 on macOS, the standard multi-column view has been changed to single-column. Is there a way to change this back please? When one has a lot of notebooks or stacks, its very unwieldy to try and scan for folders by scrolling though a single column that takes up the entire width of the application window.

Thanks. 

Tunde

you can vote to bring back the old view

• Like 1

Hi,

The list notebook view is extremely bad. I can just go use Asana or MS Notes if I wanted this view. The best part about notebooks is to visually see notebooks and have them stacked. This is a major step back. 

Please allow to revert back. 

Thanks

• Like 5
  • Level 5*
On 2017-09-02 at 7:00 PM, adeyemob said:

There's the option of converting from Notebooks to Tags
As you can see in the comparison below,  the Tag view displays  a multiple column view

59b60c1f8129e_ScreenShot2017-09-10at21_03_22.thumb.png.25a4d89f9e80e4b2e3ee2df76e0c32b1.png.abecaa91bd94644ab9f25584b5560a03.png59b60c13d678c_ScreenShot2017-09-10at21_05_52.png.83da0e4b1bc9f584c8b53c083d7ff375.png.112076f4e2bb708f894f69a2617fa04c.png

This new list view for a large amount of notebooks I have to say is horrendous. Please, please, please bring back the grid view Evernote team. I've been an avid EV user & promoter for years now but this change is just highly surprisingly not very user friendly.

Please VOTE to bring notebook grid view back EV community :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
On 10/10/2017 at 9:14 AM, Jennifer365 said:

I absolutely HATE the new display of Notebooks in a long list.  Really, it's awful.  So bad in fact that even after being an Evernote user for YEARS, I'm thinking of looking for a more elegant solution.  BRING BACK the former view.

i agree.. when i updated evernote app, the synching with my mac was so bad.. i had to delete and reinstall evernote again.. not sure why the display is so bad.. can we just return to the previous version ..

• Like 1

I agree with what's been previously written, the old view was much better and easier to use than the new list. It also looked nicer, more professional.

It should be possible to choose between views as a matter of personal preference and I ask Evernote to respond to this request.

• Like 1

Perfect timing, the suggestion of ZOHO. My Evernote paid subscription ends in a few days and I'll be moving on. Any major layout change without notification/warning/option to change COMBINED WITH zero response to customer queries about future options to return to the old layout = not worth getting my $$.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, micheleley said:

Perfect timing, the suggestion of ZOHO. My Evernote paid subscription ends in a few days and I'll be moving on. Any major layout change without notification/warning/option to change COMBINED WITH zero response to customer queries about future options to return to the old layout = not worth getting my $$.

Agreed. Honestly the lack of response from customer support over this change is appalling. What's the point of a "feedback" forum if no one from the development team responds? 

• Like 1
On 10/15/2017 at 5:37 PM, SMX-CT said:

I have a big problem with this whole idea...

If I have to beg a software company to reinstate a feature that is critical to the user interface. And if the management of the software company is so utterly clueless that they remove critical aspects to the user interface. Then, folks, it is time to move on. That's exactly what I did and I'm not looking back. I switched to ZoHo Notebook after reviewing a few different software packages. I do not reward stupidity with loyalty. And over the years there have been several stupid changes to Evernote and quite frankly a clear and shameless disrespect to the user base. So to quote another dummy,  "Fool me once shame on you - fool me twice, can't get fooled again".  But that's another story. Good luck everyone!

Thanks for suggesting ZoHo - sounds like a great product. Maybe we need EverNote's arrogance to motivate us to move to another (better) product. And we save $50 yearly fee. AND we can import from Evernote! Bye Evernote Hello ZoHo!

• Like 1

I am complete agree it is really a bad move from Evernote staff to remove gridview, it make no sense.
Where can I see the reaction from the staff, maybe they can explain why they have moved this feature away, maybe it is just a fault.

Please give us the freedom back, so we can make our own choice.

This first time in my life writing to this kind of forums, but it is such a shame to spoil a good APP  just like that.

Best regards from 

Michael Schilling

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Fab4real said:

Someone should really create a Change.org petition about this, i'll RT and share.

It would  improve life for many Evernote users, and impact global happiness in the world.

You could tweet to the CEO instead and ask him to wake up. He's obviously clueless or careless.

Hello, I am wondering what happened to the page where I can view my notebooks in a HORIZONTAL view? That was the BEST feature of Evernote and why I chose it over OneNote. I am an ADHD Coach and work with ADHD college clients and young adults. My clients and I rely on VISUAL organization (NOT TAGS)...which includes a Left-to-Right view AND/OR color differences. I do wish you had color capabilities with Notebooks BUT at a minimum PLEASE BRING BACK THE LEFT TO RIGHT FORMAT. In addition, it seems harder to move notebooks around to different stacks. Can you please bring that back as well? I really do NOT want to change back to One Note.

• Level 5*
16 hours ago, LindaElle said:

Anyone here used Milanote? I just heard about it, "Evernote for Creatives," it says, and it does look pretty cool. 

Personally, my purpose in using Evernote is as a filing cabinet, and not so much for "Creative"

There's a review at https://www.pcmag.com/review/351632/milanote

930CC6A8-410B-4DF5-BA30-D9A1A5C4BF53.thumb.jpeg.9792a8e344789b6ee99c41c3818064c1.jpeg

23 hours ago, cmartin44 said:

I know I'm in the minority here but I just wanted to say that I like the list view, personally. I could see where an option might be helpful (old vs new).

That's not the point. List view was always available.

• Like 1

I can't believe this is even a thing - that the best notebook view isn't available anymore.  I absolutely can't stand scrolling through my notes.

All I want is the grid view of my notebooks again.  Just add the capability back as an option, that's all.

Thanks!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, westontsmith said:

I can't believe this is even a thing - that the best notebook view isn't available anymore.  I absolutely can't stand scrolling through my notes.

All I want is the grid view of my notebooks again.  Just add the capability back as an option, that's all.

Thanks!

Yeah - I mean it's surreal. WTF were they thinking? Well, I've moved on, I can't be around stupidity and the decision makers at Evernote are making really stupid choices and they don't seem to have any respect for the user. I had a fit a few years back when they took away the 3d notebook covers but gritted my teeth and dealt with it - but this is beyond that. I switched to ZoHo notebook but I just heard about another app called Milanote that I also want to check out. There are many options at this point and Evernote has jumped the shark. Sadly.

• Like 1
On 10/19/2017 at 9:17 AM, Fab4real said:

Someone should really create a Change.org petition about this, i'll RT and share.

It would  improve life for many Evernote users, and impact global happiness in the world.

UGH, Why bother? There are many alternatives. Just move on - it ain't getting better. and they obviously don't care about you the user.

On 10/7/2017 at 9:50 AM, LindaElle said:

Thanks for that-- your comment inspired me to look into OneNote. This article is pretty convincing, even though the author chose to stay with Evernote for the time being. OneNote appears to offer all the key functionality of EN with the added very cool feature of converting handwriting to text. And yes, customizable grid notebooks. 

https://michaelhyatt.com/evernote-alternatives.html

The only real drawback I see is a problem with importing from EN, but It might be worth some extra work to get away from a platform that just pissing me off at this point. 

I just imported everything into ZoHo Notebook and it worked well enough. Plus I get to design my own notebook covers in photoshop and apply them to each notebook. It's still a young app and lacks several things but they are just starting out. I'm going to give them a shot. Good luck!

8 hours ago, SMX-CT said:

I just imported everything into ZoHo Notebook and it worked well enough. Plus I get to design my own notebook covers in photoshop and apply them to each notebook. It's still a young app and lacks several things but they are just starting out. I'm going to give them a shot. Good luck!

Were you able to do a multi-note import? I couldn't find a way to import more than one note at a time (though I didn't spend a lot of time investigating). Thanks again!

12 minutes ago, DTLow said:

It's very easy to export your notes from Evernote on the Win/Mac platforms.  I don't see an export option in Zoho Notebook which may be a problem in the future if you want to switch products

On a Mac, select the notes, then file > export; use the html format

On the Zoho Notebook side, use File > Import

Great! Thanks. :)

2 hours ago, LindaElle said:

Great! Thanks. :)

3 hours ago, DTLow said:

It's very easy to export your notes from Evernote on the Win/Mac platforms.  I don't see an export option in Zoho Notebook which may be a problem in the future if you want to switch products

On a Mac, select the notes in Evernote, then file > export; use the html format

In Zoho Notebook, use File > Import

3 hours ago, DTLow said:

On a Mac, select the notes in Evernote, then file > export; use the html format

In Zoho Notebook, use File > Import

That is a valid point. But like I said they are just starting out and I've been using them for about a month and so far so good for my needs. They do have an automated import that they sent me and the entire Evernote content was imported in one shot. I am concerned about the export - I'll need to find out about that.

5 hours ago, LindaElle said:

Were you able to do a multi-note import? I couldn't find a way to import more than one note at a time (though I didn't spend a lot of time investigating). Thanks again!

Yes - they sent me a link that did it automatically. My entire contents of Evernote in one shot. It did wipe out the dates and times of when each evernote was saved. So you lose that - not sure if it matters. It didn't for me.

6 hours ago, SMX-CT said:

Yes - they sent me a link that did it automatically. My entire contents of Evernote in one shot. It did wipe out the dates and times of when each evernote was saved. So you lose that - not sure if it matters. It didn't for me.

That's fantastic! Like you, I don't care about the date I saved the note. I just want to be able to work within a framework that doesn't make me angry every time I try to use it. 

3 hours ago, LindaElle said:

That's fantastic! Like you, I don't care about the date I saved the note. I just want to be able to work within a framework that doesn't make me angry every time I try to use it. 

Yeah - I love it. Still, needs a lot of work. Milanote looks good but it's $120/year. I do want to query NoHo about an important point that DTLow made. How do you export your materials. I don't want to invest a year into this thing and find I'm stuck on the platform without an exit strategy. In case they start charging high rate or decide to take Grid view away like our friends did here.

Guys,

believe it or not but because of this I have now finally moved to Onenote. Was about to become a paying Evernote user. Onenote is not perfect either but I can always tell myself that I am at least not paying for something that I am not really happy with.

So BAD!!!!

I started using Apple Notes app a lot due to ease of use (opening immediately, etc) for quick notes/updates. But I still love Evernote for its organizational capability, which I use for more important long term content that I want to remember. 

That means I do not have to log into Evernote as much anymore. Imagine my surprise to have this current notebook layout view. They did this before but still allowed you to revert back to original view. I expected they would learn a lesson when everyone opted for the old view, but now that option seems to have disappeared and the new view permanent.  So unfortunate. 

[I guess reverting back to the old version was so hidden and unadvertised that many people never knew. And Evernote made a business decision based on faulty data.]

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, Better D said:

when everyone opted for the old view

Everyone???  Where are you getting your data from....the vote count on this request

Touche.

If my reckless use of the word Everyone hurt your feelings, I'm sorry. Perhaps I just can't imagine how anyone would like the new view, thereby creating a biased perspective.

Regardless, it's bad... very bad... to everyone that matters.

Could someone please tell me the process to revert Evernote back to the original version? 

I've tried account settings > Evernote web > Go back to the old version. But there's no option to save the change and it doesn't revert back to the original version where folder icons were visible.

This is extremely frustrating!

Thanks in advance for any help.

Totally agree - please bring back the covers or give us the option to see a list view or cover view.  I can't believe you would take away the cover view?  Why?  Seems like it would have been great to just add in a "list view".  

I hate the list view!

• Like 1

Personally, I find the new notebook view effective. I can scan the notebook titles from top to bottom quickly and find what I want. It’s this reason alone that when given a choice between list and grid view, I choose list, unless there is some outstanding visual reason to choose grid (like it’s easier to identify through imagery).

All of the notebooks looked the same, so grid offers no benefit in my opinion; however, as pointed out, my opinion doesn’t matter. 

• Confused 2

I want to add a hearty "SECOND" to this motion! I came to this forum specifically to post this request and saw this post already addressed it. The new layout sucks and is driving me crazy. I already have a list view in my sidebar. Why in God's name would you force me to have the same exact layout in the main screen too? Bring back the boxes or tiles or whatever you call them! At the very least, give me the option of having it that way. In our modern world of advanced technology, there is no excuse for not at least giving me the option to see my notebooks the old way if I want to. That should be my choice. This new layout is a poor, poor idea by Evernote. Bring back the old view or give me the option to see it that way! 

Well done Evernote. People who need the grid view the most are people who have a lot of notebooks.

The grid view was the best way to quickly find a book without having to scroll a lot. 

Which means. most likely, the unhappy users are long term users, accumulating a lot of notes over time.

But also, it will be hard for these long time users like me to leave if they're not happy, as their data is stuck in here. 

It feels like a calculated risk on Evernote's part, to not care about these users needs, although it's hard to a see a worthwhile advantage of taking that risk. 

But if the focus is not on keeping loyal long term customers happy what is Evernote trying to do?

Is it all about acquiring new customers, who will never know or care about the grid view?

If so, what should the old timers do? 

1. Waste time posting on forums

2. Lookup this lifehacker post: How to Jump Ship From Evernote and Take Your Data With You 

https://lifehacker.com/how-to-jump-ship-from-evernote-and-take-your-data-with-1782841075

As soon as I can find some time now...

Notebook List view not as intuitive and workable.  Old Notebook display method was one of the strongest points of the Evernote product IMHO.  Now Evernote looks, acts, and performs like others in the herd.  For me there is no need to keep paying for Evernote 'Premium'.  I've already started moving my information to another service.  Pity.  Perhaps Evernote could offer some explanation to longtime, loyal customers like me.  I am happy to stay with the product if there is a net-new benefit of the new structure/function.  But I just can't see it.  So it's goodbye Evernote, Hello Onenote.  Best of luck to the Evernote Team.  Up to now, you've been top notch.

• Like 2