Please bring back GRID VIEW for notebooks

ericwicklund

Idea

Please please please return to the stack view for Notebooks. I VERY much dislike the current list view. Why not offer a choice? I'm really concerned about the developer sensibility - this feels / seems like we're chumps who simply must take whatever we're given rather than have users' wishes taken into consideration. Sigh.

• Like 8

I am in the same boat - I hate the new UI and had I known about this change I wouldn't have updated Evernote on my Mac.  This is totally ridiculous and makes me want to find an alternative to Evernote.  And I am a very, very long time Evernote power user.  I just started using Bear which has a much better design and UX, I was just going to use the free version in addition to Evernote but this change is seriously hindering my productivity.  Tags are much more intuitive in Bear and it supports Markdown, too, btw.  Still not sure if it's a suitable substitute for Evernote, I hope the Evernote team decides to allow the old Notebook view back soon.

• Like 8

This upgrade clearly has to be an oversight.  No one is silly enough to enrage loyal users by removing the main "home" metaphor and not even make it an option.  Especially when that metaphor is an option in other areas (e.g., when viewing cards - View>Cardview).  Please tell us that this is just a silly mistake.  Please?!  PLEASE!!!

• Like 7

I'm genuinely annoyed about this  — Like most serious Evernote users I have found a comfortable, efficient way to utilise it and then discover that the developers have decided to mess around with a major part of he UI. I wonder how they would like it if somebody came into their office in the middle of the night and rearranged their files or tinkered with the things on their desks? Forcing a single-column notebook list is utterly thoughtless, messes with the long-established workflow/muscle memory of users and is the sort of "change for change's sake" which is something of an insult to long-term paying customers who have committed to Evernote and rely upon it for their work. Crucially, for anyone using a wide-screen monitor rather than a tiny laptop, the ability to see all the notebooks at a single glance is now gone. Thanks a bunch, Evernote. Kindly bring the original view back and soon. 

• Like 3

As someone suggested, there is an option to go back to the previous version but I am afraid to do so. Has anyone successfully done this?

Maybe a better option is to switch to another product. Can anyone here evaluated an equivalent product? I know it is a pain to switch App after using it for a while (particularly with multiple notebooks), but it is inconsiderate of Evernote to simply remove a feature.

• Like 2

Hello,  i initially came here for the same request. 

I absolutely love Evernote, but this new notebooks view is a major step back !!  

I have more than 50 notebooks, a 24" screen, but i have to scroll 5 times the height of my screen to see all my notebooks. 

I used to have all my notebooks immediately available without scrolling before this update.

Another thing i would like to say, is that i realized now i have no idea whats the first character of the notebook i'm looking for. So i even don't know where to scroll to. I think my brain used to record the column or place where things where.

• Like 5

I also came here searching for answers to the new notebooks view. I greatly miss the old grid view as it was easy to navigate and organize my 81 notebooks. Why can't we choose between the grid view and list view? The lack of customization seems to be hampering this once great application. I'm hoping for a quick fix to this new update as it seems be an issue for many Evernote users.

• Like 4

Yeah. I opened my Evernote today at the start of an important meeting and l looked like a chump. I was totally sideswiped. I'm not normally someone who hates on change for change sake but one of the reasons I was happy to take the plunge for a premium account is that the grid (mini notebook) layout is better for me as a spatial reasoning person. 

The thing that I enjoyed most about this product was that whoever the original designers were seemed to really think like me. It was hyper-intuitive. This is really clunky and off putting. I LOVE the product. You are a major part of my personal life and my business. I guess this is why it feels like such a huge deal to me. Betrayal is a strong word....butima use it. 

PLEASE PLEASE BRING BACK THE BOOK LAYOUT

• Like 4

Evernote just made a new update but they didn't fix the Notebook layout! 

C'mon let, us know if you will fix it or not so we can leave Evernote. Someone at Evernote is always "figuring out" ways of aggravating loyal users!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for the responses guys. 

Please bring back the grid/multicolumn feature of v6.11. It was very useful to quickly see all the notebooks in one shot/view. Having this list view "feature" is unfortunately not as useful :-/

If requests are really high for a list view "feature",  maybe it could be added on as an view option,  depending on how difficult it is to implement... 

• Like 4

Dear Evernote team,

I absolutely love(d) your app, it changed the way I interact with my computer in so many positive ways and I've always been promoting and recommending it to all of my acquaintances and friends. The removal of the grid/multicolumn viewing option completely destroys the efficient Evernote user experience I had to this point. It may be practical for those who do not have a lot of notebooks, but for those who do  - in other words, the real aficionado and loyal Evernote user base - it's a disaster! The lack of a grid/multicolumn view is seriously going to slow down our productivity :( Please don't do this. You may lose a lot of users (old and new)!!!

• Like 4

OMG yes, please bring Notebook layout back!  I spent 20 minutes looking for the preference setting that would allow me to get out of this eye-numbing list view and back to notebooks. I'm here looking for clues as to how to do it and am disappointed to see that its not an option. Please bring it back.  I am with everyone else in this thread - that view worked so well. I'm not usually one to fuss over inevitable changes, but this one has been quite disappointing. 

• Like 3

I've been an Evernote devotee for 4 years and this is the first time I've ever posted to any of these forums.  I had to though - this change was soooooooooooo disappointing!  Ugh! 

The visual aspect of this app was a BIG part of what made it so special.  Hate the list view.  Will continue to use it, but will not be singing praises about Evernote to my friends any longer.  PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE restore the graphic notebook view.

• Like 2

I add my vote to all that have asked for the grid notebook view to return. The visual layout, dragging one note book on top of another to create a stack, opening/closing stacks and seeing their components spread out visually -- all these things were key to my decision to embrace Evernote.

Please bring back the visual notebook grid view!

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
4 minutes ago, Joel Culley said:

Any recommendations? 

I recommend you indicate your support for this request.  
The voting buttons are in the top left corner of the discussion.  
The current vote is 59bfee3f615ee_ScreenShot2017-09-18at09_02_47.png.ba6e15f9af5d446dedb6de13ab917dd5.png

On 9/25/2017 at 8:27 AM, DTLow said:

You could monitor the release notes; I’ll post a link if something comes up

Otherwise, this is just a feature request; one of many.  I’m sure Evernote has taken note of it and included it it prioritization for future development

I'd suggest that this is NOT a feature request, but a regression error.   There was a function in the product before the update, that function no longer works, ergo a regression bug.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Allias Montoi said:

Surprised that given the strength of feeling here that no one from Evernote has responded?

i see there are only 51 votes at the time of writing - we need to make some more noise...   Take to Twitter?  Facebook?  The streets?

I think social media may be the best strategy, as EN seems to be ignoring this forum completely. 

I tweeted them.

Does anyone have an idea of an alternate database that's vetted and likely to be around a while? I'd used SOHO Notes for about 10 years, until their lack of communication (when an OS update broke it and they didn't reply to pleas to know if they'd fix it or not) caused me to leave. This access change and lack of communication about it feels like the same customer disrespect to me. I'm interested in trying again - maybe 3rd time is the charm - find a company with a good product AND good customer communications.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Allias Montoi said:

Surprised that given the strength of feeling here that no one from Evernote has responded?

i see there are only 51 votes at the time of writing - we need to make some more noise...   Take to Twitter?  Facebook?  The streets?

I'm also surprised at the lack of a response from the Evernote team concerning this issue. It seems many users are upset about the removal of this feature. What's the point of a feedback forum if there is no acknowledgement from the development team?

• Like 1

Long time Evernote user and I have to say, I miss the grid and the notebook layout. It was visual and fast to get to what I wanted. Don't like the list form. Even better if you'd let us select an image for the notebook's cover, so we can recognise it quicker in a screen of notebooks. And while you're at it, please provide for better text formatting. I know MWord this is not, but surely Evernote can do something better than what we currently have.

Ditto what everyone here is saying. I am a visual user and the notebook layout works for me. Like others, I have spent hours trying to get it back to the notebook view. I was thinking it was something I did. I don't understand why you would take away the option to view whichever way suits the user. Please, please, please bring back the Notebook View option. PLEASE!!

So I do love Evernote. I've never liked their arrogance toward design though. They come up with fantastic ideas but then the think they "know it" ,  it seems they only design as THEY like it. Omniscient beings that always know what we the users --paying users!!!--  need or want.l

It's not a conspiracy, it's just business; THEY DON'T CARE!. It's about numbers. So, if enough users complain, they go back on their decision, but if not enough users complain, then they were infallibly right and they'll just keep being in many areas design gods.  

That arrogance is what irks me from Evernote- love everything else. To bad. 

I don't think I can really stay any longer. I gave this arrogant design decision time for it "to grow on me". But it didn't. My work flow--which developed through time because of Evernote's design-- starts with the Notebook view. So scrolling  and searching is agains the grain for me --an ignorant non-flexible user--. Why not just add this awful new layout to the user choices for Notebook view so WE THE USERS CAN CHOSSE!

I will be moving to another platform. It's probably best for Evernote because it's obvious I'm not in their customer radar. To bad. :(

• Like 1

This is typical of the behaviour of many tech/software companies. Apple, for one, is notorious for making forcing unwelcome changes on users. For example, when they dumbed-down Pages to the point of uselessness, they aggravated countless business users who then had to purchase alternative software because Apple had decided to "improve" a perfectly good product. However, it has a customer base which has heavily invested in their hardware and so has to be pushed very hard indeed to turn to other providers. 

Without this security Evernote is skating on thin ice when it messes around with the interface like this. Personally, I had no idea how much I actually used notebooks at all, rather than just searching by tags, until they made this change and my workflow was slapped down by the idiotic new single-colum list they decided to impose. Why the hell did they think that it would be more efficient for people who had got used to having a big screen will all notebooks visible at once to have to scroll up and down trying to find the right one? 

If anyone from Evernote is actually reading this, please consider this point:
Serious users of any software do not value change for change's sake. We want to work efficiently. If we don't like something we will tell you and will appreciate it when you listen. If you have a great new idea than tell us and we'll probably love you for it, perhaps even pay you more. We remain loyal. But messing around with major parts of software UI is like sneaking into users' offices while they are out and rearranging their stuff. We do not like it at all if you encourage us to work a certain way and then suddenly make that impossible. We can — and will — take our money elsewhere if you make that a sensible choice. 

• Like 3

This was the response I received from support:

With the 6.13.2 release, we are trying our best to maintain a common view across all platforms due to customer requests. I understand that this change is not ideal for certain customers.

I responded with, OK so ADD that option, not take away options.  Whoever ASKED for a list view doesn't have over 100 notebooks spanning a decade as I do. 

• Like 1
Does anyone know why it was removed??
Having the book option was great. The new look for notebooks is brutal. Why change something that works??

Can we please have the notebook option back???
Please consider bringing the "book" view back to the app for Mac.

• Like 3

I love the concept of Evernote but hate this change so much that it will probably lose my custom. I subscribe in the hope of improvements - not downgrades. It's high time the notebooks were customisable but having the basic notebook replaced with a clunky list is inexcusable. A very poor show.

• Like 3

Switching back to a previous version is never a good option since you don't want to run the risk that suddenly your Evernote stop will stop working in future OS updates. Evernote, please bring back the Grid/MultiColumn view!

It's the developer's communication that's the key for me. I was a loyal and faithful SOHO Notes user through many of their iterations, until it broke with an iOS update and they simply DID NOT REPLY to any of their many users' plaintive questions about whether and when they'd be updating. So by the time they did reply - maybe a year later - I'd moved to Evernote, even though I like it less. And now this significant layout change WITH NO COMMUNICATION or response to our queries is making me equally nervous. Maybe time to move again.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
3 hours ago, Sri Nathan said:

As someone suggested, there is an option to go back to the previous version but I am afraid to do so. Has anyone successfully done this?

I do it frequently.  It’s more complicated if you have Local Notebooks, otherwise the master version of your data is maintained on the Evernote servers.  For a  new installation, the app will rebuild your Mac copy of the database

On 9/10/2017 at 8:38 PM, singhr85 said:

Hi,

The list notebook view is extremely bad. I can just go use Asana or MS Notes if I wanted this view. The best part about notebooks is to visually see notebooks and have them stacked. This is a major step back. 

Please allow to revert back. 

Thanks

You can vote to bring it back.  See the link below

• Like 1

It felt very uncharacteristic of Evernote to make such a massive and sudden change to their product.  I loved the visual notebook layout which displayed information in way that felt very clear to me.  I deeply dislike the new notebook view, which feels no better than Google Drive.  I am disappointed both in the decision to make such a change and lose such an iconic element of Evernote as well as in the method of rollout.  Like many customers, it took me awhile to realize that this was a formal change from Evernote and that I had not inadvertently made a mistake myself.  Please bring back the former view. 

• Like 6

Terrible, terrible change ... if I knew Evernote would end up showing a list I would have chosen another tool...

At least let us choose between the list layout and the usual visual layout! I don't want to go back to older versions, either, because this means no more updates. Really, I don't understand why this change has been made.

It's simple. Bring back the the old notebook view (ie stacks) and make that available for both macs and PC's as soon as possible. The list view is simply terrible, less efficient, and frustrating. I normally don't post on forums but this was enough to make me do it. There are probably numerous users who will not post but just suffer through it. 

• Like 2

Please bring back the old view for the notebooks. I now dread going on Evernote because it's a labor intensive process to scroll through a list to find notebooks (of which I have many) rather than the simple old view. I'm extremely disappointed in this change. I can't imagine who tested it and thought it was a move forward. Please return it to the old view or at least give users the option to revert to the old view. Thank you. 

In the latest Evernote release 6.12.2 the column/grid view's removal issue, which has had a severe impact on our productivity, and that we are all addressing here, has not been resolved.

Please, Evernote team, we beg you, address this issue in the next :unsure:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Unbelievable update. What on earth are they thinking. Removing a key feature completely rather than just giving it as an option. The mind truly boggles. 

I'm in the early stages of using this app, so seriously considering moving over to one of the other options. Any recommendations? 

2 minutes ago, jrzap said:

C'mon let, us know if you will fix it or not so we can leave Evernote. Someone at Evernote is always "figuring out" ways of aggravating loyal users!

I thought the very same thing. I am hoping that the next release will bring it back.

I completely agree with everybody here. I don't necessarily want to downgrade to an old version because the new updates are really helpful, but I just don't understand why the Notebook has to be JUST a list view. The folders were visually effective and made everything more accessible and organized. At least give us the option to switch from List view to Folder view! It's completely taxing to have to scroll through my many many notebooks to find what I'm looking for. Text is small and I just can't help feeling lost. Please bring the folder view back!!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
On 2017-09-25 at 8:20 AM, sublime said:

Should we expect some sort of acknowledgement from EN? or do we just wait it out?

You could monitor the release notes; I’ll post a link if something comes up

Otherwise, this is just a feature request; one of many.  I’m sure Evernote has taken note of it and included it in prioritization for future development

5 hours ago, sublime said:

Should we expect some sort of acknowledgement from EN? or do we just wait it out?

I'd like an update on this as well. I tried to downgrade to 6.11 but kept getting an error saying the new database was incompatible with the older version. The list view for notebooks is so annoying. I really hope the grid view returns ASAP. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
27 minutes ago, janstet said:

I tried to downgrade to 6.11 but kept getting an error saying the new database was incompatible with the older version.

Your app and database were at v6.12

If you’re downgrading you should address both the app and database.  

1. The app AppCleaner is recommended to completely remove Evernote from your Mac
  2. Then reinstall the app and the database is rebuilt from the servers.  Warning - the rebuild does not include Local Notebooks or unsync’d  notes
  • Like 1

This is a total backward step… it is so un-user friendly – just such a terrrible idea. I loved being able to drag notes around between notebooks and now this is impossible. Please give us visually enabled users the option to organise using our eyes rather than some listing logic board via keyboard!

On 22/09/2017 at 3:10 PM, jrzap said:

Is there somewhere to post this that is more likely to be taken seriously? Do the EN people even look at this? like @jrzap said, I'm baffled that they just updated but didn't fix this. Surely the EN user community are hacked off about this, no?

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Joel Culley said:

Is there somewhere to post this that is more likely to be taken seriously? Do the EN people even look at this? like @jrzap said, I'm baffled that they just updated but didn't fix this. Surely the EN user community are hacked off about this, no?

These are the forums set up by Evernote to solicit feedback.  I’d say this is the best place

If you wish to indicate support for this request there are voting buttons in the top left corner of the discussion

Please, please let us go back to card view for notebooks. I have spent 20 minutes trying to fix this, thinking I had flipped a switch somewhere. I need the grid to see where I am. I can't remember the names of my notebooks and I've got dozens. 

I love Evernote and have been user since 2011. I pay for premium and I really want this feature back.

Like many here, I just spent a bunch of time after upgrading looking for an option to get back the icon notebook view. Then I went to the internet and found this thread. Please implement an option for a grid layout for notebooks. Meanwhile, I guess I'll try reverting back to an older version.

Completely crazy move to get rid of the grid view. I've used Evernote for a long time and have 100 notebooks and this change is almost like downgrading from Windows (or MacOS) to green screen technology.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, jcebersole said:

This is really disappointing. It's making me think seriously about moving to Microsoft OneNote, where visual grid notebooks are not only possible, but you can choose the color of the notebook cover as well.

Maybe if more of us made noise about leaving -- especially the paying users -- there would be more openness to their responses.

Not happy!

Thanks for that-- your comment inspired me to look into OneNote. This article is pretty convincing, even though the author chose to stay with Evernote for the time being. OneNote appears to offer all the key functionality of EN with the added very cool feature of converting handwriting to text. And yes, customizable grid notebooks. 

https://michaelhyatt.com/evernote-alternatives.html

The only real drawback I see is a problem with importing from EN, but It might be worth some extra work to get away from a platform that just pissing me off at this point. 

• Like 1

I see I'm not the only one who is sooooo disappointed with the new layout change!  The new list format is far, far less efficient than the grid format.  I feel like we've gone back in time with this 'update'. I am amazed we aren't given the option to choose between the list format or grid. 

You now have four pages of complaints about this change, so I hope you will take this into consideration when you are doing your next update and at least give us the option of returning to the grid format please. 

For the love of god, Evernote team! Why haven't you addressed this issue yet? This is so disappointing.

Mark my words, if you don't listen to the feedback of your loyal user base you're putting the future of Evernote at risk!

The column view can be hidden in the settings for all I care but bring it back ASAP

• Like 1

The disrespect is in not communicating about what clearly for some is a major design change - or being responsive about. I'm only one little customer but it cost them my paid subscription. I find the new layout very much not to my liking, but it was the way it was handled that most rankled.

• Like 1

Same here, long time, dedicated, paying Evernote user and super disappinted about the new notebook view for all the reason people have described here in detail. Very unfortunate if something like this is done without "manners" (user testing, giving choices to go back, informing about this change ahead of time etc) Seems like trouble is ahead with this company. Have started to check out Zoho Notebook to use it in parallel for a while, as an exit strategy. I' so loayal to Evernote, it will break my little digital heart if I have to leave, but what can you do if the dark side takes over. 

• Like 1

This why I hesitate to upgrade.  You're taking the chance they will break something that you loved.  Yes, for me this is breaking Evernote, it is no longer workable for me.  I may see if I can download an older version and use while I can, but Zoho notebook is looking good.  Am I correct in thinking that Evernote believes that this is an improvement and doesn't seem incline to give to users the option of how they want to view their notebooks.  For the life of me, I can't see how anyone thinks this list view is better.

• Like 1

Hi @adeyemob,

Welcome to the forums. The grid layout for the notebook view in Evernote Mac was removed with the 6.12 update. I've moved this thread to the Mac Product Feedback forum as a feature request.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

• Like 5

Another vote from me to bring back the grid view - this long scrolling single column is very frustrating, far less elegant and not as efficient.

If developers have to constantly iterate the UI, please give us the option to change the view to how we've become accustomed. I use Evernote constantly all day and its consistency is key to its ease of use. I don't want to have to relearn a UI just because a developer has become bored with what works.

• Like 3

I recently upgraded my Evernote account and one of the factors in doing so was the TILES view. I am really not pleased that this facility is no longer working. Evernote doesn't feel special without such features and the competition is now starting to look favourable !! Also, it happened without warning/notification ? Really !!!

Yes, PLEASE PLEASE bring it back. I'm a paying user and that view was something that drew me to evernote in the first place. I've been pulling my hair trying to figure out how to get it to work and I find out that it's been removed in this version. This is a big deal for me, I'd like the choice to use a grid or list. Please bring it back!

12 hours ago, sublime said:

Nope :(

Screen-Shot-2017-10-06-at-5_26.10-PM.jpg.266484835cfaabcf980385f8b595bd81.jpg

This is really disappointing. It's making me think seriously about moving to Microsoft OneNote, where visual grid notebooks are not only possible, but you can choose the color of the notebook cover as well.

Maybe if more of us made noise about leaving -- especially the paying users -- there would be more openness to their responses.

Not happy!

• Like 2

Evernote has kept me sane since 2012 and this is the first time I've ever posted to any of these forums.  I need to add my voice to the "bring back the visual notebook view." Begging you. I can't 

I, too hate the list view.  I'm going to have to find an alternative unless you PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE restore the graphic notebook view.

• Like 1

I have a big problem with this whole idea...

If I have to beg a software company to reinstate a feature that is critical to the user interface. And if the management of the software company is so utterly clueless that they remove critical aspects to the user interface. Then, folks, it is time to move on. That's exactly what I did and I'm not looking back. I switched to ZoHo Notebook after reviewing a few different software packages. I do not reward stupidity with loyalty. And over the years there have been several stupid changes to Evernote and quite frankly a clear and shameless disrespect to the user base. So to quote another dummy,  "Fool me once shame on you - fool me twice, can't get fooled again".  But that's another story. Good luck everyone!

• Like 5

I also register my dislike to the new list format for notebooks.   The previous format was much more user-friendly, enabling me to see my groups at a glance.  Now, this multiple scrolling to get to my notebook is time-consuming and cumbersome.    I vote for the previous boxes/grid view.   At the least give us the option of choosing one or the other. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
23 hours ago, cmartin44 said:

I know I'm in the minority here but I just wanted to say that I like the list view, personally. I could see where an option might be helpful (old vs new).

Before the view disappeared, we did have the option switch.  It's good compromise 

• Like 1