Notebook View Missing?

Hi all, 

I've come across something that I find weird when using Evernote on Windows... it may just be a 'feature' that I've missed, but it annoys me slightly.

When attempting to look at my notebooks, all I get is a list of all my notes (in total). What I think should happen is that I get a list of my notebooks in the same fashion as when you click tags, but for some reason it doesn't seem to want to play ball with me. Did I miss the change/update where you can only create new notebooks, create stacks and rearrange the list from the left side panel?

I've added two screen shots, one from my Mac and one from Windows, both having clicked on Notebooks. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks,
Jordan

Mac_Notebook_Screen.png

Windows_Notebook_Screen.png

• Level 5*

Yep - there's another topic on this around the forum somewhere.  Think the team were cutting down on clutter and they decided that a list of all notebooks was superfluous - there's already one in the sidebar. 

That works for me with about 20 Notebooks and Stacks,  but I can see that someone with more investment into the notebooks feature is going to have to scroll a lot.  I'm sure on the same thread,  someone said they were bringing it back in a future version;  but I'm now on the Windows Prerelease and the list is still missing.

If you have a specific use case for this,  can you give chapter and verse?  Practical uses always get Evernote's juices flowing...

• 1 year later...

I'm on EN Windows Desktop latest version. I don't even have a little triangle in the sidebar to open my list of notebooks. I have 50 notebooks but can't see them in the desktop app. I have to go to the web version to see them. Thoughts?

• Level 5*
9 minutes ago, RulisonE said:

I'm on EN Windows Desktop latest version. I don't even have a little triangle in the sidebar to open my list of notebooks. I have 50 notebooks but can't see them in the desktop app. I have to go to the web version to see them. Thoughts?

Hi.  Screenshots are often helpful so we can see what you're missing...  sounds like you might have switched off the left panel.  Check out the View menu which you should have on the menu bar.  Or try F10 and F11 to see what switches on/ off.

• Level 5*

Ah.  You won't necessarily see an arrow unless you hover over the Notebooks heading.  You also seem to have lost the Note List and Note Panel  which are F11 and Ctrl+F11 or - as above - use the View menu.

• Level 5*
3 minutes ago, RulisonE said:

Sorry, here's a better screenshot. You have to have the mouse pointer in the left panel to see the triangles (or lack thereof).

IMG_1934.jpg.ddb615b4fa3285d93e244bfc08237c3c.jpg

Hmm, there should be a caret to the left of notebooks if you hover over the left panel, can't see one in your screen shot.  Have you tried a File - Exit and restart to see that clears the issue?

No caret left of "Notebooks". If I click on "notebooks" in the left panel, i just get a list of all notes in all notebooks. Not a list of notebooks, as you would expect. And no, I do not see my notebooks if I click on the drop down in the header area. Doing that just gives me a dialog to "search notebooks". 

I shut down every night and start fresh every morning. This has been going on for some time. I updated to 6.8.7.6387 (306387) Public (CE Build ce-1.36.3494) today, which, I believe, completely uninstalled previous version and installed new. Symptoms described here were unchanged after the update. 

Thanks for your time. If you think of anything else, please let me know.

I submitted a ticket direct to Evernote. If they come up with anything I'll come back and post here.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, RulisonE said:

Thanks for your time. If you think of anything else, please let me know.

Out of interest what happens if you do a search for notebook:thenameofoneofyournotebooks?

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, CalS said:

Out of interest what happens if you do a search for notebook:thenameofoneofyournotebooks?

I think that you're on the right track here, Cal. I don't see any notes showing in the screenshots above. No notes can mean that the user has somehow created a new account and logged into that, or else something bad has happened to the local database file (since the notes are visible in the web version).

I'd suggest making sure that you're logged into the correct account. But we'll see what tech support says...

• Level 5*
10 minutes ago, RulisonE said:

All the notes are there. I turned off the notes view for privacy before creating the screenshots. I can search and find notes just fine. I can't search and find notebooks, and can't even see my list of 50+ notebooks/stacks.

OK, so a red (or white) herring. If you enable Search information in the search panel (View / Search Information). You should see something like "Viewing <nnn> notes in [All Notebooks]". If you click on the [All Notebooks} dropdown, it should display a list of your notebooks.

I agree, and that is how it used to work, but now when I click on the "all notebooks" drop down, all i get is a mini dialog box saying "search notebooks". No matter what I type in that dialog (the letter "A", for example), it returns "not found".

All,

As I mentioned earlier, when I first noticed the problem, I "updated" Evernote to the latest version. This appeared to "uninstall" old versions then install the latest. However, that did not resolve the problem. Over the weekend I manually uninstalled Evernote, backed up/deleted my local database files, then reinstalled Evernote and sync'd. This has solved my problem. I can see all my notebooks again!

Thanks again to all who tried to help.
Rulison
  • 5 months later...

Archived