brampeirs

Native Markdown Support

Idea

1 hour ago, jerry_c said:

The Chinese version of Evernote (印象笔记) is testing to support markdown.

My translation skills are poor.  Can you add details on how Markdown is supported?
Is it two way with the Markdown code stored and retrieved.  I'm thinking this would requires both an edit and display mode.

12 小时前, DTLow说:

My translation skills are poor.  Can you add details on how Markdown is supported?
Is it two way with the Markdown code stored and retrieved.  I'm thinking this would requires both an edit and display mode.

Yes, full support for Markdown (edit and display mode) on MAC client beta 1 (released yesterday), but read-only on other platforms right now (they said they are working hard to bring edit mode to every platform).

They add another standalone button in side bar under the present “huge” New Note button. This will create a special note called "Markdown Note", which can not switch to old type Evernote note. 

I think this solution is not ideal and necessary for Evernote, because it's basically what Marxico can do right now. I wish Evernote original editor would evolve into a totally different, full-function tool for us, not this simple combination of two products.

The best solution I can figure out is "block", like Notion.so (unfortunately, its UI is not best for personal note taking). Web clip note or paragraphs would be treated as "HTML" block, and our own notes would be "Markdown". This different type blocks can coexist in one note, not isolated notes, like what Chinese Evernote "YinXiang BiJi" is doing now. This would be a solution for conflicts between HTML code and Markdown syntax. 

I think EN team will not do that. They just want to keep the original editor simple and let third-party extensions do the other things. Partly, I agree with this thinking. However, the lack of “quote” and "code indentation and highlight" features really makes me feel the present editor is like a toy.

This used to be implemented on Web.  Sometime a while back it was removed.  I used to be able to use single quotes ` and triple quotes ``` to markdown my content in web.  i loved this feature.  Aside from synchronization cross-platform, this was the most important feature to me.

I'm about to host my own Laverna server and offer it to others for use as a service.

On 6/10/2018 at 9:47 PM, ekivemark said:

Markdown support would be great. I find myself using markdown more and more. I am now using Bear.app on Mac, iPhone and iPad and love the ease of Markdown editing. Bear's Markdown support and hashtag based filing has resulted in me turning to Bear to work on documents more often than Evernote.

Thanks for the suggestion. Checking it out now, also because it has a dark theme. It looks quite nice! 

I stop using evernote because of non-markdown support. But other competitor lack of features so this feature will make me come back.

Yes please, Markdown would be extremely useful (especially for technical documentation).

• Like 1

I use apps other than Evernote on my Android, iOS, Windows and Mac devices to create and manage Markdown documents. This means that almost no documents that I create are created, stored or managed by Evernote. And the number and variety of my Markdown documents is increasing rapidly. 

Having to use multiple platforms to do one thing is frighteningly inefficient. Evernote is available on all of my platforms and it needs to fully support Markdown.

In other words: For me, Creating, previewing, exporting and managing Markdown documents needs to be an Evernote capability.

--Dwight Brooks

8 hours ago, Pepper787 said:

I use apps other than Evernote on my Android, iOS, Windows and Mac devices to create and manage Markdown documents.

I use apps other than the Evernote editor to create and edit documents; anything beyond basic notes; word processing, spreadsheets, pdfs, images, ...
A note can contain files of any format; I store all my documents in Evernote.  Currently over 12k documents.

Evernote is quite capable at handling my documents; syncing to the cloud and my devices.  Previewing is built in for many document types.  Export is a simple process.

I would also like to express my interest in Evernote supporting markdown and LaTeX mathematical typesetting.  I take extensive technical notes for my research and development and I have a very consistent need to document code and math together in the same note.  Additionally, a quote field (in line with the markdown suggestion) would be very helpful.  If there were another note taking application that supported these (and I could easily import my existing history of notes to it), I would leave Evernote over this.

There are many editors supporting mark up features like Markdown and LaTeX.  
No need to  leave Evernote.  You can store the documents as note attachments in native or pdf format (or both)

On 9/12/2018 at 5:58 PM, xKamex said:

If Bear ever moves to Android/Windows, youll lose a lot of customers over this missing feature. 

I'm thinking about moving to Bear too.

I have also been a premium user for many years now and I am finding myself slowly moving away from Evernote. I have many thousands of clippings using the Evernote Web Clipper stored and each time I start writing notes in Evernote I find myself frustrated at the lack of Markdown support.

I have tried to read this thread but I am unclear on this topic. Does Evernote ever intend to implement this feature or not?  If it's not even on the horizon then I know to take my subscription somewhere else...

Greenhamsam really explains everything very well. 

Of all the applications I use outside of Evernote, the one that allows me to use and write with Markdown is the most popular: over time the presence of Markdown inside Evernote is becoming vital..... I just can't understand this immovable position of Evernote towards a feature that I don't think requires a lot of work to be implemented...

On 9/18/2016 at 3:13 PM, lrainaldi said:

I feel on the biggest missing features is native support for Markdown. Please add native Markdown to Evernote.

After being a premium and business user for more than 10 years and 3 years respectively, I just created a forum account to vote up markdown language support in Evernote.  It's quite a natural extension to the product and I think Evernote should implement it as a priority. It's existing editor is probably the weakest part of it's offering IMHO.  In any event when Evernote first created it's edit functionality, Markdown was just a pup. By all means keep the buttons and do it as a single panel -- perhaps with a switch view implemented by a button. It is clear that we don't want to alienate those who do not use/understand markdown.  My suggestion is that the native storage of notes is Markdown under the hood.  It would remove the need for 'simply format' and other issues with its internal representations that manifest from time to time.

On 10/20/2018 at 6:06 AM, Postie said:

My suggestion is that the native storage of notes is Markdown under the hood.

Well, golly, that should be a simple change...

• Haha 1

On 10/20/2018 at 3:06 AM, Postie said:

My suggestion is that the native storage of notes is Markdown under the hood. 

Evernote's native storage of notes is ENML/HTML under the hood (think web page).  If Evernote converted to Markdown, we would lose many editor features.

>>It's existing editor is probably the weakest part of it's offering IMHO. 

I successfully use the Evernote editor for basic notes.
I agree it's not a word processing quality product.

The Chinese team has started their native Markdown support back in august, I think as a popular language today, it should be supported in Evernote as well. 

• Like 1

I won't threaten anyone by saying "add that markdown support or I'll leave you" because evernote ist simply too good at what it does.

But it would be nice if there were at least some basic markdown tags to make formating notes a little easier.

I often use Evernote for summing up the content of something I read while I'm reading it. A possibility for structuring the content via markdown (or any other way of quickly structuring text without having to manually change font size and weight) would be very welcome indeed.

I would also like to see a Markdown integration.

Currently, I am just typing in Markdown, hoping that one day the magical "transform" button will appear.

Adding my vote for Markdown support

I'v been using Evernote since 2006 ! with premium subs. and just started to evaluate Bear which has MD as core feature

It hurts to say that as I'm a big fan of Evernote, but I'm overall concerned about responsiveness from Evernote on users's requests and bug fixes over the last Ys

It's interesting that the Chinese version of Evernote(印象笔记)already added markdown support(see attached image)

They are two separate companies now.

https://techcrunch.com/2018/06/07/evernote-is-spinning-out-its-chinese-business-and-it-plans-to-take-it-public/

I hope this feature could be backported to the original version someday.

Xnip2018-11-08_17-29-48.png

12 hours ago, laike9m said:

It's interesting that the Chinese version of Evernote(印象笔记)already added markdown support(see attached image)

Thanks for posting the screenshot with the markdown example
Is there any indication on the note to indicate markdown coding, or is markdown the default for all notes?

edit: Documentation at https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=zh-CN&u=https://list.yinxiang.com/markdown/&prev=search
         Looks like the notes are flagged as Markdown format
         Click on the top menu bar - File - New Markdown Notes

4 小時前, DTLow說:

Thanks for posting the screenshot with the markdown example
Is there any indication on the note to indicate markdown coding, or is markdown the default for all notes?

edit: Documentation at https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=zh-CN&u=https://list.yinxiang.com/markdown/&prev=search
         Looks like the notes are flagged as Markdown format

Basically you create a markdown note using the M+ button on top right and that piece of note is created as a markdown note. Currently they support editing as md on Mac Chinese version of Evernote (and viewing on other platform), but it seems that the team is trying to implement the functionality to all platforms.

TL;DR, I'm curious, after two years, this feature still hasn't been supported.

Is there anybody explained why?!

• Like 1

I have been a Premium user for over 6 years (or maybe 7) , I feel MarkDwon support is the most important feature to support in the future.

The Chinese version Evernote is already support MarkDwon, I don't understand why the progress of International Evernote is so slow?

• Like 2

Just want to add a +1

Evernote is great but I am checking every here and then for an alternative with markdown.

For me the core features in evernote are webclipper, tags and reminders. As soon as someone else, e.g. simplenote catches up (there only the webclipper is missing) I am going to leave Evernote alone.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lubob said:

Evernote is great but I am checking every here and then for an alternative with markdown.

I'm enjoying using Evernote as storage for my markdown files.1823724820_ScreenShot2018-11-22at07_34_54.png.04cba60868c2f24be66bc1ee143eaa91.png
There are many alternatives to the Evernote editor

Here's a sample from my Mac; my choice is Typora
I like that it presents a wysiwyg display, at the same time giving access to the markup tags

Yes, please! By the way, did anyone notice that even the comment box has more text formatting options than

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AiD said:

By the way, did anyone notice that even the comment box has more text formatting options than

Oh, the irony... oh wait, but it doesn't have Markdown, either...

Not sure if everyone knows, Evernote Chinese version (Yinxiang) has markdown support now.

Here is the official guide on markdown support: https://list.yinxiang.com/markdown/eef42447-db3f-48ee-827b-1bb34c03eb83.php

• Like 1

I would want markdown support if Evernote allowed us to sort notes in a manual order (via click and drag, NOT via naming them 001, 002, etc.). I subscribe to Ulysses and run a virtual machine on my PC to use it because manual sorting such a critical feature for me. 

If you have a Mac/iPhone/iPad/are willing to put up with a virtual machine on your PC, and need markdown support, give Ulysses a look. 

12 minutes ago, demonofsarila said:

I would want markdown support if Evernote allowed us to sort notes in a manual order

These are two valid requests, but why are you connecting them?

2 minutes ago, DTLow said:

These are two valid requests, but why are you connecting them?

Did you even bother to read my whole post?

17 minutes ago, demonofsarila said:

I subscribe to Ulysses and run a virtual machine on my PC to use it because manual sorting such a critical feature for me. 

Hey there! I would also love to have markdown support! Please do that. That's the only thing missing for me.

Guys, it is almost 2019... We need live markdown support. It can be an optional setting like dark mode. Not everybody will use it, but it is a deal breaker for many people.

unfortunately I cant renew my subscription without Markdown support anymore. 

To give this a case study, though maybe not specifically markdown:

Any idea how long it takes me to set up headers? Far more than it needs to be. I should be able, rather than setting a size, bold, italics, etc., that will not be consistent across all my notes, unless I remember every little detail. I should be able to pull down from a list and choose, Heading 1, Heading 2, etc. Simple.

57 minutes ago, Shanta said:

I should be able to pull down from a list and choose, Heading 1, Heading 2, etc. Simple.

Evernote doesn't have support for a styles pull down list.

You might be interested in third-party Evertool, linked below
Heading1, Heading2 ... and markdown

Since the Chinese version of Evernote has supported Markdown for a while already. Wonder if there is a plan to merge this feature back to the international version?

On 9/26/2018 at 4:51 AM, greenhamsam said:

I have been a Premium user for over 5 years, my entire life is in Evernote, and am on the verge of leaving the service because of the lack of this feature. It's becoming a deal-breaker for me. Markdown is the standard for most newer note taking apps. At the moment, I'm running three note taking apps concurrently: increasingly, I'm just using Evernote as a file and web clippings storage dump area, Google Keep (with a Markdown extension) for notes, lists and thoughts, and Ulysses (a Markdown writing tool) to develop notes into actual articles and books. This is SO irritating because I am constantly switching between three apps.

With Markdown support, I would be able to move entirely back to Evernote for all my note taking AND writing needs. Once again, it would become the most important app in my life.

Writing in Markdown lets me:

• Create proper structure to long and complex notes
  • Move from a rough thought, to research, to a full article, and even to a book, without worrying about formatting (I can focus on content)
  • Simply export and publish my writing to almost any publishing outlet (blogs, my actual print publisher... they all want Markdown!)

More and more, I'm asking myself why I'm paying so much money every year for Evernote when I could just use Google Drive for storage. You're already failing me for the actual notes-taking and writing parts. I know I'm not the only one who's thinking this.

Please guys: I love Evernote and I don't want to move my entire workflow over to a new system, but you are leaving me no choice.

Totally agree with this. I am using Evernote just because I already have many notes there, and because of the Scanning feature.

For my normal workflow, I moved to Trello because it supports Markdown.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BostonMatt said:

Support Markdown

Post was merged to existing Markdown feature request.

I think this would bring the product closer to perfection 👌 

I've been begging for formatting wysiwyg editor in evernote as its sorely needed to organize my content. I'd be happy if we could at least get markdown support.

Just about everything I write these days is in markdown. The one exception is Evernote. I do not use markdown for my notes because it is a pain in Evernote. It is not a great project to support markdown editing and display. The lack of markdown support diminishes the tool. Please add markdown support.

I agree, Markdown support is needed

• Like 1

I've been using an app called Journey for journaling, and their approach is to do markdown inline with syntax-based highlighting/updates to "preview" what your text would look like. Then when you look at the note outside of "edit" mode, you see the properly-rendered version.

I would love to see something like this for Evernote. I don't need a separate pane, but some simple syntax previews coupled with markdown rendering when you're not editing a note would be really great.

I really don't understand why Evernote misses this opportunity. When I do the notes, I don't really need all rich-text flexibility, i don't want to care about the style - what I really want is a way to structure my thoughts with headers, lists and tables. And it is perfectly solved with Markdown. 

Btw, the markdown may be displayed with different styles, which ones even may be sold in the internal store - so it is even an opportunity to increase sales per user.

I don't want to switch to another tools, but with no markdown support I would not have a choice in recent future.

• Like 1

Markdown, LaTeX, and (this will never happen) Emacs Org mode support would all be super useful for me as well as a way to paste in check boxes from plain text. (The latter could be accomplished by a regex looking for ^\s*-?\s*\[x|X| \]\s* or something like that maybe. Seems do-able.)

markdown +1 

plz support markdown as soon as possible

it's pending for a long time

在 2018/8/29 在 AM2點08分, Shane D.說:

Hi All,

You may have noticed that all threads requesting Markdown support have been merged into this thread, regardless of platform specificity. 

This was done in order to better enable us to quantify and qualify user requests, and amplify their voice.

While this does not mean this is a feature that will be coming, we certainly want to relay user feedback/sentiment to our various teams.

Moving forward, please put all commentary and votes for Markdown support here!

it's working progress ???

Yes please! I used Evernote for a long time but mostly abandoned actively using & adding to my Evernote in favor of Markdown. The reason is that I am able to extend my markdown documents in-depth through apps like Editorial on the iPhone/iPad and Atom on the Mac. I would really like to be able to import my Markdown notes to Evernote because the sharing capabilities of Evernote still make it an ideal platform for certain uses in my work.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gjohnh said:

The reason is that I am able to extend my markdown documents in-depth through apps like Editorial on the iPhone/iPad and Atom on the Mac. 

I'm able to extend my word processing documents using apps like Word/Pages on the iPad and Mac.  I'm able to extend my spreadsheets using Excel/Numbers on the iPad and Mac. ...

These are stored in Notes as file attachments

19 hours ago, DTLow said:

I'm able to extend my word processing documents using apps like Word/Pages on the iPad and Mac.  I'm able to extend my spreadsheets using Excel/Numbers on the iPad and Mac. ...

These are stored in Notes as file attachments

Not really the same thing.  There are dozens of times that I need the same content over and over again into an email or a document or a presentation.  I use Evernote as the "holding pen" for those snippets that I continually refine and use throughout my multiple "work lives" and being able to have formatted content that can easily be put into multiple documents would be a gigantic timesaver.

And, if the file attachment mechanism works for you, you can keep using it.  We're not asking your workflow to change.

I am strongly advocating for Markdown because the formatting in Evernote is extremely wonky.  There's no easy format painter and I often find myself copying a note into a plain text editor just to copy it back into Evernote and reformat to ensure the formatting is consistent throughout.

Markdown would also simplify formatting for notes that are continually revised with content from multiple sources.

PLEASE add this feature.  It would be a huge productivity boost for many of us.

On 4/22/2019 at 2:38 AM, ThomasZ said:

I don’t want to have another One Note that is clumsy for formatting.

1000% this.  I am able to use OneNote for free through my employer but I still stick with Evernote because it has been the easiest to organize and use for years. 

Now that Markdown is so ubiquitous in other tools, however, it's vital for Evernote to include it simply so we can keep a streamlined workflow through all of the tools we need to touch throughout the day.

It will be great help if you can adopt Markdown feature

As a work around, I use iaWriter on my iPad Pro.

But it means a more complicated workflow, and the need to jump between apps to and fro.

10 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

As a work around, I use iaWriter on my iPad Pro.

But it means a more complicated workflow, and the need to jump between apps to and fro.

Typora on Mac/Windows

iaWriter is available on the Mac as well, but much more expensive that on the iPad. So if one can switch devices, it is o.k. to use the iPad for the job. If you are not a heavy user, the Mac apps are often simply too expensive for an occasional job.

This is similar with many other apps - I hope that by the new feature of Catalina (ex Marzipan), there will be more and more affordable apps flowing from the iPad to the Mac.

9 minutes ago, eayllon1 said:

Markdown is an essential feature to how I take notes. 

There is a request posted at the top of the discussion.  You can indicate your support using tne vote button at the top left corner of the discussion.

Markdown is not supported by the Evernote editor, but notes can contain files of any format, including Markdown.   You can use an external Markdown editor to edit the file.

I am in favor of getting markup capability, and voted for this feature as well some time ago.

Just a word of caution: I do not think that adding this will be completely simple. It means additional stuff on the editor itself, plus an export function to make the markdown content usable for example as input for a blog or website. Just because a dedicated markdown editor looks simple, it is not necessarily so in the engine that drives it.

Because EN focuses on unifying the existing editor at the moment, I think that „deep“ additional features will not be part of the next release. This is far from „not listening“, it is just setting the priorities on features that will serve all users.

Yes please. Will start paying for app if md becomes available. 

Adding Markdown support for Evernote it's not a nice-to-have anymore, it's a MUST if you want to keep on the top selection of note taking apps in the years to come.

On 8/13/2019 at 8:28 PM, Ohad said:

As already mentioned above, I'm also reaching a point where I will abandon my beloved Evernote to another (e.g. bear-writer.com)

it's almost 2020 and there is no support for Markdown. how is it possible??

Maybe evernote should be open source and let their users to implement Markdown support.

Fine if you found your personal way of doing things better supported by another app.

Competition is what keeps the wheel turning and innovation flowing.

I think for myself that switching apps just to get markdown ability is a rather weak argument. There are enough editors around that provide markdown if I need it - but no app that supports my usecase for filing away and finding information like EN does.

But as I say: Competition is good for anybody’s improvement.

1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

There are enough editors around that provide markdown if I need it -

And generate .md files that can be stored in a note as a file attachment.

Posted (edited)

Markdown is a markup language, extremely simple,  used globally by almost cloud platforms actually and, as developer, I can say it is a simple feature to be implemented, maybe the biggest difficult is to make it compatible with current Evernote markup, so a possible solution would be adding an option "File > New > Markdown note" isolating this markup. I can afirm that many people do not use evernote and end up opting for an alternative (like Inkdrop) that offers fewer features because don't live without a markdown. I'm using evernote premium for some years, but currently I just have my old notes stored with Evernote, because I'm using just a markdown software and putting my files in cloud. Very annoying.

It's regrettable that users don't have voice here. For now I do not intend to renew my license after expiration (2020 January) because I realized that this request is old and never satisfied. Many users asking for, so my request also will not be considered, just one more. Anyway I hope I'm wrong, in this case you will continue to have a loyal customer to keep recommending Evernote. I have a good networking today.

Attached a competitor (Inkdrop) screenshot that is picking-up your customers, like me when my license expires. Let's keep Evernote as leader.

Certainly moderation will not approve my message, but it would be smart to understand the problem and pass it to the responsible team for analysis. I'm here because I like Evernote, but currently it can't be useful for my use. I have thousands of developers in my networking and if we have Markdown support many of devs community will use it.

competitor.jpg

Edited by luizgama
Adding final note
  • Like 2

Thanks to this post, I wouldn't even consider subscribing to Evernote like Everrrr...Even the most basic apps on Appstore these days support Text markup like Markdown, Textile.. and some form of automatic processing.

Without Markdown support, the rest of the features of Evernote are quite useless. Who has time to sit and photoshop your text documents to awesomeness..

8 hours ago, hmr said:

Without Markdown support, the rest of the features of Evernote are quite useless

Actually the Evernote features are quite useful, as well as the html support

Notes can contain files of any format; no problem with Markdown files - use an external editor
I use Typora and Textastic

>>It's not useful to use an external editor.

I find external editors quite useful

The Evernote editor works well for basic notes, but I need other formats; MarkDown,  Word, Excel, ...

>>Markdown syntax generates a preview

Evernote has inline viewers for some file formats (pdf, office/iworks, ...) A markdown viewer would be  useful

@DTLow, Maybe for you, but not for all. It's not useful to use an external editor. Markdown syntax generates a preview (see attachment). We write markdown and like to see the result, export and publish it. For developers markdown is a requisite for software documentation in most cloud platforms, it is a standard. My question is: there is a lot of FREE implementations of markdown, open source, but it is also simple to be implemented from scratch. Why a giant company like Evernote can't offer it as a new type of note?

sample.png

• Like 1

Of course. I also use a lot of external editors for different purposes. I was not clear, I'm sorry, I mean it's not productive to be writing markdown in an external editor, pasting into Evernote and sending back to external editor when I want to edit this markdown file. But I respect your opinion. I just think there are a lot of people that could be picked up by Evernote (like developers community) by offering this feature additionally without affecting features that is offered for already satisfied customers like you, just a new kind of note.

• Like 1

On 8/24/2019 at 4:33 PM, luizgama said:

Certainly moderation will not approve my message

The Evernote staff (I'm not one) appreciate all feature requests, and there's nothing in this one to not "approve". This one's been made before and been discussed pretty thoroughly, and for the sake of the forums here, I've merged your request and ensuing discussion with an already existing identical one. Feel free to upvote at the top left of the topic...

• Thanks 1

It's actually somewhat upsetting considering how long Evernote has been around and how many other competing apps support Markdown, that Evernote does not. Not only that, but there's no justifiable reason why Evernote does not, and in addition, no staff member has commented here yet for YEARS to help clear this up. Very poor PR for Evernote, as well as a lost solution for money for them. Ultimately, the decision to not support markdown is, sorry for the use of the word, STUPID. It just doesn't make sense.

+1 Markdown.  This should have been added years ago.

On 10/1/2019 at 2:30 PM, Ewright0 said:

It's actually somewhat upsetting considering how long Evernote has been around and how many other competing apps support Markdown, that Evernote does not.

And yet, Evernote is a very successful application by most measures. Many, many people are able to get by without Markdown. And some folks use third-party tools like Marxico. As for competitors, it's a bit hit or miss. OneNote, probably the most visible and comparable competitor, doesn't support Markdown natively. Others do support Markdown, sure, but they can have other weaknesses that don't compare favorably to Evernote. Markdown is a killer feature for some folks, and a "WTF is Markdown anyways?" for others. In other words, one feature out of a number of possible features on which to base your choice of note keeper software (or whatever category Evernote is in).

Not only that, but there's no justifiable reason why Evernote does not, and in addition, no staff member has commented here yet for YEARS to help clear this up.

So the question here is what do you mean by adding Markdown? If you mean Markdownish shortcuts to produce specific formatting, Evernote has done some of that in various of its clients, and could do more, but that's only a one-way thing. If you mean full two-way Markdown support, then that's where things get tricky. Evernote stores all of its note content in ENML, an XHTML derivative (https://dev.evernote.com/doc/articles/enml.php), and adding Markdown support would necessitate changes to ENML to accommodate the new content type .. So are we talking about a Markdown specific note type? Or are we  talking about modes where either the original Markdown or the resulting formatting is shown? How is the Markdown stored? How is round-tripping ENML _> Markdown --> ENML accomplished? How easy are all/any of these? If it's not trivial (I don't know for sure, not being privy to the code, but that's my guess) then it's certainly then a matter of Evernote's internal prioritization process. Bottom line: it's an entirely justifiable decision for them to make.

That no staff member has discussed t for awhile isn't particularly meaningful.  They don't discuss in the forums all decisions that they make in general, and if their prioritization calculation hasn't changed, then there's no real reason to keep repeating themselves. And even if they do have it in the works, they are pretty gun-shy about pre-announcing features.

Very poor PR for Evernote, as well as a lost solution for money for them.

Dunno about PR, but the real question is how much money would it add to the bottom line vs how much would it cost to add it and how much they might lose by implementing something else. In other words, the usual calculations that development companies make all the time.

Ultimately, the decision to not support markdown is, sorry for the use of the word, STUPID. It just doesn't make sense.

Asking for Markdown support is a fair request, of course (and a popular one, too), but calling Evernote's decision "STUPID" doesn't seem to make sense, at least without further knowledge of what's really behind it..

On 10/18/2019 at 7:12 AM, jefito said:

If you mean full two-way Markdown support  ...  So are we talking about a Markdown specific note type?  

My take on the solution is

• Two-way markdown
    specific note types; enml and markdown
  • separate editor modules

>>How is the Markdown stored?

Currently, notes contain a content.enml component 
For markdown, a content.md component is required

Marxico tries to embed the markdown code within the enml/html code.  
It's tricky and messy

>>modes where either the original Markdown or the resulting formatting is shown?

I vote for Both
I use the Typora app on my Mac; the resulting format is shown.  
When editing, the specific element reverts to markdown code

I'd like this option for the enml/html code.  Currently I have to switch to a text editor to update the code

Hi - it would be great to have Markdown support in Evernote, similar to how it is implemented in Quip.  Thanks!

its going to be 5 years. Evernote team are u guys listening? We need markdown support. 

1 hour ago, Amtriorix said:

Do you speak for Evernote, because I report your attitude.

You're posting in a user discussion forum. 
You are a user; I'm a user.

Evernote employees pop in ocassionally.  They are clearly identified in the sidebar.

On 8/15/2018 at 5:08 AM, Amtriorix said:

Currently our team is using the editor 'Remarkable' in combo with cloud storage.

Remarkable is a Linux product, and there's editors available for other platforms.  I use Textastic on Mac and IOS.  Both of these editors support Markdown formattining, but I still prefer Evernote's native enml/html format.
I'm a fan of using external editors when I need features not available in the Evernote editor.

Evernote is my tool for cloud storage.

On 2018-04-28 at 7:59 AM, ssxtrix said:

the reason people are still paying is probably because they have 1000+ notes like myself and it is a pain to migrate.

The software is free, no users are paying for it.
The majority of users subscribe to the Basic account, which is also free.

I have over 10,000 notes.  It's a 30 minute process to export my data.

>>why are you always defending this....

I'm not into "Boohoo, Evernote's so bad" posts.  I'm more interested in posts on how to make this product work better for me.

2 hours ago, lpuerto said:

@DTLow I don't think this feature would be an incredible amount of work and a lot of people like Evernote and pay for it, and like to simplicity of markdown for formatting. 

What would be your estimate for the amount of work required; hours, $?

There is an existing 3rd party product available (Marxico)    Evernote could integrate that service into their product.

Its not a feature I use, or am willing to pay for ($16US yearly), but close to 400 users have indicated support

On 2017-01-24 at 2:04 AM, darkandlong said:

I use it more than Evernote now, mainly due to Evernote's crappy text editor.

Evernote's editor definitely has a limited featureset

If you need more extensive features, I'd also recommend using a different editor, storing in Evernote.  Any document file can be attached to a note