lrainaldi

Native Markdown Support

Idea

Yes, please! By the way, did anyone notice that even the comment box has more text formatting options than

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AiD said:

By the way, did anyone notice that even the comment box has more text formatting options than

Oh, the irony... oh wait, but it doesn't have Markdown, either...

Not sure if everyone knows, Evernote Chinese version (Yinxiang) has markdown support now.

Here is the official guide on markdown support: https://list.yinxiang.com/markdown/eef42447-db3f-48ee-827b-1bb34c03eb83.php

• Like 1

I would want markdown support if Evernote allowed us to sort notes in a manual order (via click and drag, NOT via naming them 001, 002, etc.). I subscribe to Ulysses and run a virtual machine on my PC to use it because manual sorting such a critical feature for me. 

If you have a Mac/iPhone/iPad/are willing to put up with a virtual machine on your PC, and need markdown support, give Ulysses a look. 

12 minutes ago, demonofsarila said:

I would want markdown support if Evernote allowed us to sort notes in a manual order

These are two valid requests, but why are you connecting them?

2 minutes ago, DTLow said:

These are two valid requests, but why are you connecting them?

Did you even bother to read my whole post?

17 minutes ago, demonofsarila said:

I subscribe to Ulysses and run a virtual machine on my PC to use it because manual sorting such a critical feature for me. 

Hey there! I would also love to have markdown support! Please do that. That's the only thing missing for me.

Guys, it is almost 2019... We need live markdown support. It can be an optional setting like dark mode. Not everybody will use it, but it is a deal breaker for many people.

unfortunately I cant renew my subscription without Markdown support anymore. 

To give this a case study, though maybe not specifically markdown:

Any idea how long it takes me to set up headers? Far more than it needs to be. I should be able, rather than setting a size, bold, italics, etc., that will not be consistent across all my notes, unless I remember every little detail. I should be able to pull down from a list and choose, Heading 1, Heading 2, etc. Simple.

57 minutes ago, Shanta said:

I should be able to pull down from a list and choose, Heading 1, Heading 2, etc. Simple.

Evernote doesn't have support for a styles pull down list.

You might be interested in third-party Evertool, linked below
Heading1, Heading2 ... and markdown

Since the Chinese version of Evernote has supported Markdown for a while already. Wonder if there is a plan to merge this feature back to the international version?

On 9/26/2018 at 4:51 AM, greenhamsam said:

I have been a Premium user for over 5 years, my entire life is in Evernote, and am on the verge of leaving the service because of the lack of this feature. It's becoming a deal-breaker for me. Markdown is the standard for most newer note taking apps. At the moment, I'm running three note taking apps concurrently: increasingly, I'm just using Evernote as a file and web clippings storage dump area, Google Keep (with a Markdown extension) for notes, lists and thoughts, and Ulysses (a Markdown writing tool) to develop notes into actual articles and books. This is SO irritating because I am constantly switching between three apps.

With Markdown support, I would be able to move entirely back to Evernote for all my note taking AND writing needs. Once again, it would become the most important app in my life.

Writing in Markdown lets me:

• Create proper structure to long and complex notes
  • Move from a rough thought, to research, to a full article, and even to a book, without worrying about formatting (I can focus on content)
  • Simply export and publish my writing to almost any publishing outlet (blogs, my actual print publisher... they all want Markdown!)

More and more, I'm asking myself why I'm paying so much money every year for Evernote when I could just use Google Drive for storage. You're already failing me for the actual notes-taking and writing parts. I know I'm not the only one who's thinking this.

Please guys: I love Evernote and I don't want to move my entire workflow over to a new system, but you are leaving me no choice.

Totally agree with this. I am using Evernote just because I already have many notes there, and because of the Scanning feature.

For my normal workflow, I moved to Trello because it supports Markdown.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BostonMatt said:

Support Markdown

Post was merged to existing Markdown feature request.

I think this would bring the product closer to perfection 👌 

I've been begging for formatting wysiwyg editor in evernote as its sorely needed to organize my content. I'd be happy if we could at least get markdown support.

Just about everything I write these days is in markdown. The one exception is Evernote. I do not use markdown for my notes because it is a pain in Evernote. It is not a great project to support markdown editing and display. The lack of markdown support diminishes the tool. Please add markdown support.

I agree, Markdown support is needed

• Like 1

I've been using an app called Journey for journaling, and their approach is to do markdown inline with syntax-based highlighting/updates to "preview" what your text would look like. Then when you look at the note outside of "edit" mode, you see the properly-rendered version.

I would love to see something like this for Evernote. I don't need a separate pane, but some simple syntax previews coupled with markdown rendering when you're not editing a note would be really great.

I really don't understand why Evernote misses this opportunity. When I do the notes, I don't really need all rich-text flexibility, i don't want to care about the style - what I really want is a way to structure my thoughts with headers, lists and tables. And it is perfectly solved with Markdown. 

Btw, the markdown may be displayed with different styles, which ones even may be sold in the internal store - so it is even an opportunity to increase sales per user.

I don't want to switch to another tools, but with no markdown support I would not have a choice in recent future.

• Like 1

Markdown, LaTeX, and (this will never happen) Emacs Org mode support would all be super useful for me as well as a way to paste in check boxes from plain text. (The latter could be accomplished by a regex looking for ^\s*-?\s*\[x|X| \]\s* or something like that maybe. Seems do-able.)

markdown +1 

plz support markdown as soon as possible

it's pending for a long time

在 2018/8/29 在 AM2點08分, Shane D.說:

Hi All,

You may have noticed that all threads requesting Markdown support have been merged into this thread, regardless of platform specificity. 

This was done in order to better enable us to quantify and qualify user requests, and amplify their voice.

While this does not mean this is a feature that will be coming, we certainly want to relay user feedback/sentiment to our various teams.

Moving forward, please put all commentary and votes for Markdown support here!

it's working progress ???

Yes please! I used Evernote for a long time but mostly abandoned actively using & adding to my Evernote in favor of Markdown. The reason is that I am able to extend my markdown documents in-depth through apps like Editorial on the iPhone/iPad and Atom on the Mac. I would really like to be able to import my Markdown notes to Evernote because the sharing capabilities of Evernote still make it an ideal platform for certain uses in my work.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gjohnh said:

The reason is that I am able to extend my markdown documents in-depth through apps like Editorial on the iPhone/iPad and Atom on the Mac. 

I'm able to extend my word processing documents using apps like Word/Pages on the iPad and Mac.  I'm able to extend my spreadsheets using Excel/Numbers on the iPad and Mac. ...

These are stored in Notes as file attachments

19 hours ago, DTLow said:

I'm able to extend my word processing documents using apps like Word/Pages on the iPad and Mac.  I'm able to extend my spreadsheets using Excel/Numbers on the iPad and Mac. ...

These are stored in Notes as file attachments

Not really the same thing.  There are dozens of times that I need the same content over and over again into an email or a document or a presentation.  I use Evernote as the "holding pen" for those snippets that I continually refine and use throughout my multiple "work lives" and being able to have formatted content that can easily be put into multiple documents would be a gigantic timesaver.

And, if the file attachment mechanism works for you, you can keep using it.  We're not asking your workflow to change.

I am strongly advocating for Markdown because the formatting in Evernote is extremely wonky.  There's no easy format painter and I often find myself copying a note into a plain text editor just to copy it back into Evernote and reformat to ensure the formatting is consistent throughout.

Markdown would also simplify formatting for notes that are continually revised with content from multiple sources.

PLEASE add this feature.  It would be a huge productivity boost for many of us.

On 4/22/2019 at 2:38 AM, ThomasZ said:

I don’t want to have another One Note that is clumsy for formatting.

1000% this.  I am able to use OneNote for free through my employer but I still stick with Evernote because it has been the easiest to organize and use for years. 

Now that Markdown is so ubiquitous in other tools, however, it's vital for Evernote to include it simply so we can keep a streamlined workflow through all of the tools we need to touch throughout the day.

It will be great help if you can adopt Markdown feature

On 12/20/2018 at 5:54 PM, user0035 said:

Evernote Chinese version(印象笔记) released a new PC version to support Markdown. I want to know when Evernote intends to incorporate this feature into the official version.
I have been using Evernote for a long time, but I am being frustrated by your delay in launching the Markdown feature. I have tried Bear for nearly three months. Markdown can really save me a lot of time. If there is no development progress of Markdown, I will export all my notes to Bear, leave Evernote, even though my premium still has two years of validity.

I am really disappointed with Evernote, and the reaction is so slow that it is unacceptable.

Exactly!! Please learn from the the Chinese version. Thanks!

As a work around, I use iaWriter on my iPad Pro.

But it means a more complicated workflow, and the need to jump between apps to and fro.

10 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

As a work around, I use iaWriter on my iPad Pro.

But it means a more complicated workflow, and the need to jump between apps to and fro.

Typora on Mac/Windows

iaWriter is available on the Mac as well, but much more expensive that on the iPad. So if one can switch devices, it is o.k. to use the iPad for the job. If you are not a heavy user, the Mac apps are often simply too expensive for an occasional job.

This is similar with many other apps - I hope that by the new feature of Catalina (ex Marzipan), there will be more and more affordable apps flowing from the iPad to the Mac.

9 minutes ago, eayllon1 said:

Markdown is an essential feature to how I take notes. 

There is a request posted at the top of the discussion.  You can indicate your support using tne vote button at the top left corner of the discussion.

Markdown is not supported by the Evernote editor, but notes can contain files of any format, including Markdown.   You can use an external Markdown editor to edit the file.

I am in favor of getting markup capability, and voted for this feature as well some time ago.

Just a word of caution: I do not think that adding this will be completely simple. It means additional stuff on the editor itself, plus an export function to make the markdown content usable for example as input for a blog or website. Just because a dedicated markdown editor looks simple, it is not necessarily so in the engine that drives it.

Because EN focuses on unifying the existing editor at the moment, I think that „deep“ additional features will not be part of the next release. This is far from „not listening“, it is just setting the priorities on features that will serve all users.

Just to add that I would really love native Markdown support. It's pretty much the only thing I feel is lacking now other than a native Linux client - but that's mitigated by the existence of Tusk :-).

1 hour ago, Amtriorix said:

Do you speak for Evernote, because I report your attitude.

You're posting in a user discussion forum. 
You are a user; I'm a user.

Evernote employees pop in ocassionally.  They are clearly identified in the sidebar.

On 8/15/2018 at 5:08 AM, Amtriorix said:

Currently our team is using the editor 'Remarkable' in combo with cloud storage.

Remarkable is a Linux product, and there's editors available for other platforms.  I use Textastic on Mac and IOS.  Both of these editors support Markdown formattining, but I still prefer Evernote's native enml/html format.
I'm a fan of using external editors when I need features not available in the Evernote editor.

Evernote is my tool for cloud storage.

On 2018-04-28 at 7:59 AM, ssxtrix said:

the reason people are still paying is probably because they have 1000+ notes like myself and it is a pain to migrate.

The software is free, no users are paying for it.
The majority of users subscribe to the Basic account, which is also free.

I have over 10,000 notes.  It's a 30 minute process to export my data.

>>why are you always defending this....

I'm not into "Boohoo, Evernote's so bad" posts.  I'm more interested in posts on how to make this product work better for me.

2 hours ago, lpuerto said:

@DTLow I don't think this feature would be an incredible amount of work and a lot of people like Evernote and pay for it, and like to simplicity of markdown for formatting. 

What would be your estimate for the amount of work required; hours, $?

There is an existing 3rd party product available (Marxico)    Evernote could integrate that service into their product.

Its not a feature I use, or am willing to pay for ($16US yearly), but close to 400 users have indicated support

On 2017-01-24 at 2:04 AM, darkandlong said:

I use it more than Evernote now, mainly due to Evernote's crappy text editor.

Evernote's editor definitely has a limited featureset

If you need more extensive features, I'd also recommend using a different editor, storing in Evernote.  Any document file can be attached to a note

On 2016-11-16 at 1:57 PM, justincbeck said:

Yeah, I'm reaching the point where I might abandon Evernote in favor of something that DOES support markdown.

On 2016-11-18 at 6:29 AM, thejasonparker said:

I'm thinking the same. People have been asking for Markdown support for some time now and Evernote just simply ignore it or fob people off with 3rd party solutions that add extra work and effort. Very poor show.

If markdown support is the most important feature for you, you should be looking at another product.
If purple highlighting is the most important feature for you, you should be looking at another product.
If .... (this list could go on and on)

In addition to whining, you can add your support to the feature requests using the voting buttons in the upper left corner of the discussion.  It will help indicate the request priorities

• Like 2