Links to Tags, notebooks, stacks, and saved searches

Debayne

Idea

Hi guys,

Just a quick query, I know you can create Note Links, but is there any way or if not any plans to allow Notebook links. Let me explain

Our EN structure is a Notebook for each project/lead (I know the arguments about Notebooks vs Tags but it works for us :P ). In each notebook there is a Main Project/Lead note listing all the details of the projects/lead.

We also have a Master Note that lists all the projects, leads etc and it is like an index so we can see at a glance where we are up to.

At the moment in the Master Note, we have note links to the Main project/lead note, but it would be great if we could link to the Notebook not just to the Main Note, so that when we clicked on it it goes straight to the notebook.

I hope this makes sense :unsure:

Thanks in advance,

Debbie

• Like 2

the things is that jumping to a TOC master note would probably be sufficient if not the best for me. But at the moment - afaik - the (automatically generated) TOC notes do not update themselves automatically (for a reason!).

I'm working on different projects and "dump" every day notes into the project notebooks. Therefore a TOC is almost always outdated and in order to keep it updated, I'd have to generate a new TOC note which renders the "link to the TOC master note" useless and I would have to update that link with the new TOC note -> impractical. Hence the request to link the notebook per se as that link wouldn't change.

it is actually "funny" as Evernote can link to a notebook through the shortcut function. If one could link to a shortcut, the problem would be solved...

But technically, an automatically updating TOC note would also be a great feature solving this - I'd love to have this anyway to get a quick overview and access to the note in the notebook.

On 17.7.2017 at 2:00 AM, csihilling said:

One issue to consider with your scenario would be that if you are changing notebooks often you might end up with dead links in your notes, should EN ever add notebook links.  Not the worst thing in the world for sure, but could be an annoyance..

Yeah, some of what we do here on the forums is to present workarounds for functionality not in EN, whether it may ever be added or not.  Some times it helps and some times not so much.  Anyway, an alternative would be to use autotext to kick off a more specific PE phrase.  The phrase above could be changed to the below and be triggered whenever jnqui<space> is keyed (jump notebook quick, an arbitrary standard just created).  PE removes the jnqui from wherever it is typed and transfer to the Quick notebook ensues.  

{#CTRL {#ALT -chars f}}{#alt {#SHIFT -chars n}}{#sleep 3}{#NONE -chars quick}{#sleep 3}{#ENTER}

Replace Quick with whatever other notebook name and give it its own text hot key.  Not saying this a particularly elegant solution, but it will do the job pending if you don't mind type 5 or 6 characters to jump to a notebook.  FWIW.

the notebooks per se are not changing but the notebooks I am working with are changing. I do have a stack for "active project" notebooks, which is useful but refering/jumping to those notebooks (ideally also out of other applications/documents with a weblink) would be super in creating workflows and cross-references. E.g. one could jump from a to-do-app item to the EN notebook with one click. Of course, this works with a note already but the task is not necessarily related to an individual note etc. Plus, the note might be revised or deleted over time but I do keep the notebooks in an archive stack.

I guess "the problem" is I'm using EN a bit similar to a "Windows Explorer" kind of logic. For me this is the most efficient as I put a lot of material into EN every day and tagging has the problem that I do not have an overview of different projects, etc. I actually do tag notes in the notebooks but the main problem with that is that I need to remember all the tags I used.

There are good tagging systems out there but call me old fashioned: clicking that notebook and scrolling through works very well for me rather than going to search and search for all project notes with a tag;) I guess I am using EN very actively/dynamically and not only as an archive only sort of thing.

But the hot key solution is definetely good for the notebooks most often used! Thanks!

6 minutes ago, gazumped said:

I don't know whether there are any technical issues with creating a shortcut to notebooks,  but the practical concerns would be along the same lines as adding eye color to George Washington on Mt Rushmore.  A small amount of effort and very limited skills required for the actual job,  but the preparation work and the access could be a monster,  and the actual benefit (for Evernote) once it's done?....

hm, I do not see the point as

1. such link already exist in two forms: 1. shortcut/favourite bar link (for all i know this might be just a saved search which would be even more useful!) and 2. shared notebooks

2. I don't see how this will be a bigger monster than sharing(!!!) notebooks and notes - I actually only want to share the notebook with myself...

3. it would benefit users... If sharing notebooks with people makes sense, why "denying" this option to "single users" who want to use such links internally?

:)

• Like 1

@gazumped Let's not heat up this discussion - "denying" was provocative wording, sure, but I think I never ordered EN to do anything. Certainly, I did not mean to do so or imply EN has to do something.

I'm making the case for links to notebooks but that doesn't mean EN needs to react on this. Of course and undeniably, there is a lot of work involved and all users are grateful what the EN team does. But I think those two points are a given for any feature request post. But, you are certainly right: the EN team doesn't get enough credit in such forums.

But thanks to your post I had an idea: couldn't one "abuse" a notebook-sharing link for using the link internally? :)

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, Laimonas said:

What if I could add a saved search as a hyperlink in my note

I merged your post with an ongoing discussion   
To indicate your support, use the vote button at the top left corner of the discussion

• Level 5*

Hi Debbie - not sure what you mean by 'link to notebook'. If your main project note contains a list you could link to that note, or save a search which would lead to that note plus all the others containing a key term or (sorry) an appropriate tag. There's no way (AFAIK) to jump to a specific notebook however, other than to click/ tap on the name.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

gazumped is essentially correct. You can also do the same thing using a saved search that specifies only a notebook scope modifier, e.g., "notebook:MyNotebook". This is what clicking on a notebook in the notebook list does behind the scenes.

If it were possible to have a clickable link that specified a search query (yes, Evernote folks, this is a feature suggestion, though I'd be the first to say that I don't know the ramifications of implementing this), then you'd have the ability to accomplish what you want, and much more.

• Like 1

I'd like the ability to link to a notebook as well. In my case, I want to set up closer integration between EN and my GTD system (DoIt.im). For each project in DoIt, I have an associated EN notebook containing reference materials for that project. I want to be able to put a link in the project's description that will take me to the relevant notebook in EN; right now I can put in a note link but that's not ideal as I want to go straight to the notebook, not a particular note.

I'd like the ability to link to a notebook as well. In my case, I want to set up closer integration between EN and my GTD system (DoIt.im). For each project in DoIt, I have an associated EN notebook containing reference materials for that project. I want to be able to put a link in the project's description that will take me to the relevant notebook in EN; right now I can put in a note link but that's not ideal as I want to go straight to the notebook, not a particular note.

This is EXACTLY what I wish was available as well.

• Level 5*

One idea that's been batted around (by us users anyways) is the notion of an embedded search link: a saved search that you can stick in a note, such that when you click on it, it executes the search. This would fill the bill, I'd guess, and have plenty of other uses too.

• Like 1

I have lot's of notes in Evernote and great tip for organization all this mess is one INDEX note that have note link (Note>Copy note link) to most important notes. It would be great to create note link for tags and notebooks it 'll simplify tasks as research and study...

PS
Great tips also is Favorites bar (View>Show Favorites Bar). Notebooks, Tags and single note can be drop on it for quick access ;)

I'm new to Evernote (used it years ago when it first came out and just didn't use it). And I'm also new to GTD- here is what I do. I just share the notebook, copy the notebook link (it'll be a public link) and add that to a project note. When I click the link it opens in a new tab and I have to answer the popup that asks how I'd like to view it every time- but at least I have a link to my reference material inside a project note.

So for example- I have a project "Chicken Coop". I use my Project Info Sheet that I keep in my Template notebook (in reference) that has the project name, projected outcome, brainstorming (that I can review for next actions), and reference locations. In the reference locations I list links to any other places I have info on the chicken coop- like my pinterest board that has images for coop and run ideas, etc. (I already had this so no need to add each one to evernote), any google drive docs I may have already, and links to my chicken coop reference notebook- the shared notebook link.

For now it will work- I'd love to be able to add a tag used for any notes I'd collected 'chickens' I guess creating the tag search and coping that link will have to do- great idea!

Hi guys,

Just a quick query, I know you can create Note Links, but is there any way or if not any plans to allow Notebook links. Let me explain

Our EN structure is a Notebook for each project/lead (I know the arguments about Notebooks vs Tags but it works for us :P ). In each notebook there is a Main Project/Lead note listing all the details of the projects/lead.

We also have a Master Note that lists all the projects, leads etc and it is like an index so we can see at a glance where we are up to.

At the moment in the Master Note, we have note links to the Main project/lead note, but it would be great if we could link to the Notebook not just to the Main Note, so that when we clicked on it it goes straight to the notebook.

Thanks in advance,

Debbie

There is a really simple answer to this. Create a blank note in the notebook that you want to link to. Give it the same name as the notebook. Use the link to that note in your sidebar.

• Level 5*

Hi guys,

Thanks in advance,

Debbie

There is a really simple answer to this. Create a blank note in the notebook that you want to link to. Give it the same name as the notebook. Use the link to that note in your sidebar.

I tried this, and it works, but it feels like a bug. Normally, when you drag a note to the Shortcuts list, it creates a link to that note. In this case it creates a shortcut to the notebook (or stack) with the same name, but using the note icon rather than the notebook icon. Not sure why this would be a special case of the note shortcut; in any case, dragging a notebook or stack to the Shortcuts list accomplishes the same thing, and seems more natural that the counter-intuitive empty note.

Even more to the point, none of these solutions does what the poster was asking for, which is make a link to a notebook that lives inside a note (the Master Note, in their case).

Edit: Even more: after syncing, the link stopped filtering on the note's notebook, even more evidence that something's not quite right with this usage.

Hi guys I'm very interested to this topic as a general feature.

Specifically I'd like to use the link to a notebook in android: I use evernote as a sort of crm for my customers n' i'd like to put a link to my specific customer's notebook in my calendars events (appointments or reminders) that are already linked to my android specific contact...this would be a dream 'cause i would be able to access everything i need through my calendar widget. I actually already have this setup but I'm forced to put everything about a customer in a single note that i then link (share) with my calendar...but I'm not so happy with a single note customers setup...the link to a notebook would be fantastic so i indeed share your feature request...unless some of U geniuses have some workaround for my setup that i didn't think about:)

cheers thanx

Hi,

Could someone tell me if there are plans to implement this into a new version of Evernote?

The lack of this feature is one of the things that I dislike about Evernote. Linking could drastically improve your Evernote workflow!

For the developers, it should be really simple to extend the evernote://view/ protocol with a evernote://search/ subhandler.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Hi.  Evernote don't share development plans,  so the answer to your question is moot.  You can already save searches,  favorites and link between notes,  so what exactly are you looking for?  The ability to search Evernote from a saved link?

• Like 1

You could put your "saved search" syntax into a note and set up a Hotkey with something similar to PhraseExpress which will take the search parameters (text) you've selected and pop them into the search box. That might somewhat simulate what you're hoping to achieve... a saved search in a note as opposed to in the Shortcuts menu or search bar context menu. 

Let's say you got the feature you wanted... wouldn't it be a little clunky having to access a specific note to click on your proposed saved search link... when it's more readily accessible via the options we already have, no matter the context you're in?

• Level 5*
On 2/15/2016 at 1:26 PM, timva said:

Linking could drastically improve your Evernote workflow!

Great idea!  It would often be useful to have a link to a block of notes (via a search) saved in a Note.  This would be kind like a super TOC.
This is especially useful since Evernote doesn't really like long notes, and there is no way to link to sections within a Note.  So we end up having a bunch of short Notes that are highly related.

• Level 5*
On February 15, 2016 at 11:26 AM, timva said:

Could someone tell me if there are plans to implement this into a new version of Evernote?

No plans that I've heard of.
Which platform do you use? I'd like to move this to the product feedback forum so it can be voted on.

• Level 5*
31 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I'd like to move this to the product feedback forum so it can be voted on.

Don't be so quick to move.  This is likely a multi-platform request.  @gbarry is working an allowing voting in this forum, the General Discussions forum.

• Level 5*
15 minutes ago, JMichaelTX said:

Don't be so quick to move.  This is likely a multi-platform request.  @gbarry is working an allowing voting in this forum, the General Discussions forum.

I wasn't aware of that.  I'll hold off on future moves.  Most of the requests apply to all platforms.

This request should be multi platform, but I use Windows.

The problem is: I use 2 notebooks. One for "inbox" and the other is "processed". I do this because Evernote enforces a 250 notebook limit, which is not enough for me. I use Evernote for *everything*.

This means I have a lot of notes that belong to a list, for example: notes with my goals, my values, my projects, calendar events, just all kind of notes that are tied to each other by the tags.

I already have a long list of "shortcuts" that are saved searches. This helps, but because there is no way to make groups or levels in the shortcuts, the list gets too long to function properly.

The ideal work flow situation would be something like this:

You have a note about 1 big topic, inside are links to notes relevant to this topic. You could make all these links manually, but that's not progress! So: you should be able to have a link that automatically searches in evernote. Something like: evernote://search/mytag+anothertag. If you click on this link, the search is used and voila, you have everything you search for!

You could organize your contacts this way. One note "contacts" and then you can link to "customers", "future clients", "suppliers", and so on. You can't put this in the "shortcuts", because you'll end up with hundreds of shortcuts.

Couldn't you just type in the tag you want to search for? Yes offcourse, but the whole idea of Evernote is to let Evernote remember the stuff, not me. Links = easy, typing = remembering the tags, formats, not easy

So, I went ahead and made a program to do this. I called it "EvernoteSearchHandler". It's essentially a URL protocol handler tool. In the old days, you could use irc://server/room to open your favorite IRC program via a link. This works the same way. You can create a link: esh://tag1 tag2/ and when clicked, my EvernoteSearchHandler starts up (invisible), and puts "tag1 tag2" in the search textfield and "presses" ENTER.

I wrote this in C# and it is 7 lines long... I can only imagine how fast Evernote developers could replicate this and put it in their program.

Great!

Well... not really. For some reason, Evernote breaks the links. Sometimes they stay "links", sometimes -after being clicked on- the link is removed and it is regular text again. Sometimes a copy and paste resolves it, sometimes the first doesn't work, but the second link in a note does. Either way: Evernote apparently doesn't like custom protocol handlers.

I also though of writing a webserver, so you could link to a regular http link, like: http://localhost/tag1 tag2/ This also works, but an internet page is opened each time you click. So not good again.

I ended up with a shortcut or a batch file (not my idea, found it on the internet) to open ENScript.exe. This works, but that shouldn't be how to do this properly!

So: dear Evernote developers, could you please implement this feature, a simple evernote://search/mytags handler is all we need. This shouldn't take more than 1 hour for a full implementation with full testing. I suspect that one time this was planned, since there is already a evernote://view/ option in the evernote url protocol handler.

And other people would like this too!

Evernote is great in syncing, caching images locally, etc. But It lacks some basic features that could make it way better. Some other ideas:

- have an option to save the sorting per view (saved search or notebook). We're 2016, Win98 (maybe Win95?) could remember it's sorting per folder.

- have the ability to create custom columns (meta-data), so I can use the note list view properly. Now I have all sort of ways to get around this problem: I use the title in format:

prioritynumber. expected-result : current action : whos-taking-action dueto

That's also not the way I want to work in 2016... Implement custom columns (text, int, date) and allow sorting on them.

Like I said: Evernote is nice and syncs great and a good place to store information, but at the moment, it is not meant to improve your performance, it slows you down due to the lack of basic features.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
20 minutes ago, timva said:

So: dear Evernote developers, could you please implement this feature, a simple evernote://search/mytags handler is all we need

That would be totally awesome!

I would request one change for the search handler:  It should support the same grammar as the UI Search box does.
And, when we create a Saved Search, it should provide options (check the ones you want) of where to store it:  

• Saved Search list
  • Shortcuts list
  • Clipboard (which we could then paste into a Note, or any other app that supports rich text custom protocols.)

So, Evernote leaders ( @gbarry, @SoftwareMarcus, @Jackolicious, @PeeJayTee, @Stephane Lo), how 'bout it?  
Can you get this done?

If you guys would implement this, and make the change to support custom URL protocols in Note Links, it would make Evernote a very powerful tool, able to integrate with and become the center of all other apps in Windows and Mac.  In case you hadn't noticed, custom URL protocols are rapidly becoming very commonplace in all kinds of apps -- the new integration tool for apps.

15 minutes ago, JMichaelTX said:

...custom URL protocols are rapidly becoming very commonplace in all kinds of apps -- the new integration tool for apps.

That's a big part of what WorkFlowy's got going for it ;)

• Level 5*
18 hours ago, Frank.dg said:

You could put your "saved search" syntax into a note and set up a Hotkey with something similar to PhraseExpress

Until EN implements any of this I have implemented what Frank recommends, using PhaseExpress.  I created a macro that does a search in EN based upon whatever text I have highlighted in whatever app I am in at the time, EN - Browser - whatever.  The process is highlight text, Shift-Ctrl-Z, look at the results.  FWIW.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
On February 15, 2016 at 11:26 AM, timva said:

17 minutes ago, csihilling said:

Until EN implements any of this I have implemented what Frank recommends, using PhaseExpress. 

I don't have that many searches so the Shortcuts area is adequate for me.  
If not, and not using PhaseExpress or similar, I would just have the search in a note and simply copy it to paste into the search box.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, csihilling said:

Shift-Ctrl-Z is quicker for me

OK, you found my other problem; after cut and paste I can't remember shortcuts.  
Don't laugh - you too will get old.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
4 hours ago, csihilling said:

I created a macro that does a search in EN based upon whatever text I have highlighted in whatever app I am in at the time, EN - Browser - whatever.  The process is highlight text, Shift-Ctrl-Z, look at the results.

I have a very similar macro on the Mac, using Keyboard Maestro 

I made a solution myself. I'll post it online when it's a finished product for anyone that is interested.

A demo (movie): http://goo.gl/rwLpAJ 

I can now create a link (via an URL procol) in the format esh://tag=tag1 tag=tag2 searchtext/

When you click it (see video), everything after esh:// is put in the evernote searchbox.

You can to replace double points by equal signs in my formatting, otherwise the link breaks, they can't handle multiple :

I'm happy :-) I can now link to a "search result".

I have a link "supplier contacts", when I click it, Evernote searches for "tag:contact tag:supplier" and the first result is shown. I normally have the list view, but have hidden it for privacy reasons.

You can see, after the click, the tags are filled in automatically in the searchbox.

It also allows me to visually organize everything. I have ~1300 tagged recipes. I can now make a nice overview and when I click on "soup", I get a full list of all soup recipes. Ain't that cool. It would be even cooler if Evernote would integrate this. This is 1 hour of work for them.

recipes.jpg

Next, I'll try to add a sorting option, so you can specify the sorting column to be used in the notes' listview.

Evernote needs to step up on it's new features, or some competitor will take over their market share.

Hi,

I know I can share notebooks but for some reason I cannot get a internal link to a notebook which I could use in notes to jump to a specific notebook. If I work with the "share notebook" link, it opens the browser and opens the notebook there.

Doesn't have Evernote the option to link a notebook internally analog to links to notes which can be public (http://...) or internal (evernote://view/...)?

Did anybody figure this out? Would be SUPER helpful! THANKS!!

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, Maddhin said:

Doesn't have Evernote the option to link a notebook internally analog to links to notes which can be public (http://...) or internal (evernote://view/...)?

There is no link feature to notebooks that can be used within notes.
The only link I know of is the note url.
Also of interest would be a link to a saved search.

• Level 5*
On 14/08/2016 at 7:09 AM, Maddhin said:

Agreed there's no link feature,  but can you explain the need a little further? 

The one workaround I could suggest is to create a ToC note for all the notes in that notebook and link to the ToC

As regards why... adding notes to notebooks is easy from the add note process - just choose the notebook in the note header.  Editing notes is easy,  just use search and keywords.  Why go to a specific notebook?

I have notebooks for certain projects and want to jump/link/refer to those notebooks. E.g. in a "active projects" note/list.

The idea with the ToC is good and I thought about that before and that would be super IF the ToC would be dynamic or at least easy to update. But in the current setting, the ToC is outdateed as soon as I add a new note to the notebook.

I was also thinking about using tags and saved search. I do this for certain things such but for this particular task, I'd have to tag all notes for the project (which would be ok) but then I also could not add a saved-search-link into a note. Or?

It would be nice to be able to link to a tag, notebook, stack, and/or saved search within a note. 

I know you can make TOC notes on search results, but if new notes matching the search used are added, they are not automatically included in the TOC note. I think It would be nice to have a note that can guide me to related notebooks, topics, saved searches, or tags if I choose to do so.

I would just expect the link to take me to the list view I linked to.

• Thanks 2
  • Level 5*
On 2016-09-30 at 1:57 PM, JustinP8 said:

It would be nice to be able to link to a tag, notebook, stack, and/or saved search within a note. 

As a workaround, I make use of the Shortcuts area

I also use a script on my Mac, documented here

I'd like the ability to create a hyperlink to a notebook too — for the ability to have notebook links outside Evernote itself. (Right now I'd like to have one-click access to my Evernote "_Inbox" notebook from within OmniFocus, but I'd have plenty of other uses for this as well.)

• Level 5*
On 13/01/2017 at 0:05 AM, eurobubba said:

I'd like the ability to create a hyperlink to a notebook too — for the ability to have notebook links outside Evernote itself. (Right now I'd like to have one-click access to my Evernote "_Inbox" notebook from within OmniFocus, but I'd have plenty of other uses for this as well.)

Best we can offer at the moment is to link to a 'master' note in the notebook and go from there - but to open the notebook you need to open Evernote so that's a cart:horse situation.  What would you want to see after you click on your 'notebook' link?  A list of notes?

• Level 5*

Wonder if you could do this with a text expander like PhraseExpress.  Once you got EN started it would be fairly simple to simulate a shortcut search.  How would one start EN with a text expander?  Never tried that one since I always have EN open.

• Level 5*

Thought I would give this a try.  Steps I followed to create a link to my Inbox note book were:

1. Find ENScript.exe and send a shortcut to the desktop, C:\Program Files (x86)\Evernote\Evernote\ENScript.exe on my system.
  2. Right click and then Properties on the newly created desktop shortcut.
  3. Go to the Shortcut tab and modify the target field to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Evernote\Evernote\ENScript.exe" shownotes /q notebook:inbox, change inbox to the notebook of choice.
  4. Go to the Security tab and copy the Object name field.
  5. Create a link using the copied field wherever it is you want.

Seems to work well from the desktop shortcut and a link within a Word Document, the only two tests I ran.  Not sure about OmniFocus and the like.  FWIW.

• Like 1
On 1/13/2017 at 6:17 PM, gazumped said:

Best we can offer at the moment is to link to a 'master' note in the notebook and go from there - but to open the notebook you need to open Evernote so that's a cart:horse situation.  What would you want to see after you click on your 'notebook' link?  A list of notes?

Yes, basically the same view I get after double-clicking a notebook in the list of notebooks. (In case it's not clear, I'd want this in the desktop app, not the web interface.)

• Level 5*
10 hours ago, Maddhin said:

I see... but thanks for the update - although I don't quite understand why I can have a shortcut to a notebook but not a link to a notebook :blink:

Because EN doesn't support a link to a notebook, you have to create your own shortcut.  

Here's a PhraseExpress phrase that works.  It would need to be modified based upon where the notebook appears in your list.  If a notebook was added/deleted above the notebook in the list, the phrase would need to be modified.  Easy enough for me if I wanted this functionality since I don't use many notebooks nor do I add any..  I set Ctrl-Alt-0 as the hotkey for this test.  

But you do have to do it yourself.  ;)

• {#CTRL {#ALT -chars f}}{#ALT {#SHIFT -chars n}}{#DOWN -count 6}{#ENTER}
  •               Find All                                Jump to notebook list               To notebook                Go

ScreenClip.png.2921394e1e7323d90b683db9ad9c27eb.png

@csihilling Thanks, this is a great tipp! I will consider this to quickly jump to my inbox, etc.but my notebooks are changing often and I would need a dynamic link. Furthermore, I'd have to create 10++ links to notebooks - and I would have to remember the keyboard shortcut for each and have to maintain the links -> very troublesome in my scenario. My scenario is actually exactly the opposite of yours as I have a lot of notebooks (one day I start tagging!) and want to use the links to 'navigate' more efficiently (e.g. out of a 'active projects overview' note).

• Level 5*
21 hours ago, csihilling said:

Here's a PhraseExpress phrase that works.  It would need to be modified based upon where the notebook appears in your list.

Could the script work with the Search box instead?

The link text could be      notebook:aaaaaaaa

The manual process on my Mac is

1. Copy the link text (double click, command C)
  2. Switch to the search box (control command E)
  3. Paste the link text (command V)
  • Level 5*
13 hours ago, Maddhin said:

@csihilling Thanks, this is a great tipp! I will consider this to quickly jump to my inbox, etc.but my notebooks are changing often and I would need a dynamic link. Furthermore, I'd have to create 10++ links to notebooks - and I would have to remember the keyboard shortcut for each and have to maintain the links -> very troublesome in my scenario. My scenario is actually exactly the opposite of yours as I have a lot of notebooks (one day I start tagging!) and want to use the links to 'navigate' more efficiently (e.g. out of a 'active projects overview' note).

One issue to consider with your scenario would be that if you are changing notebooks often you might end up with dead links in your notes, should EN ever add notebook links.  Not the worst thing in the world for sure, but could be an annoyance..

Yeah, some of what we do here on the forums is to present workarounds for functionality not in EN, whether it may ever be added or not.  Some times it helps and some times not so much.  Anyway, an alternative would be to use autotext to kick off a more specific PE phrase.  The phrase above could be changed to the below and be triggered whenever jnqui<space> is keyed (jump notebook quick, an arbitrary standard just created).  PE removes the jnqui from wherever it is typed and transfer to the Quick notebook ensues.  

{#CTRL {#ALT -chars f}}{#alt {#SHIFT -chars n}}{#sleep 3}{#NONE -chars quick}{#sleep 3}{#ENTER}

Replace Quick with whatever other notebook name and give it its own text hot key.  Not saying this a particularly elegant solution, but it will do the job pending if you don't mind type 5 or 6 characters to jump to a notebook.  FWIW.

• Level 5*
12 hours ago, DTLow said:

Could the script work with the Search box instead?

The link text could be      notebook:aaaaaaaa

The manual process on my Mac is

1. Copy the link text (double click, command C)
  2. Switch to the search box (control command E)
  3. Paste the link text (command V)

It could for sure.  I prefer using the notebook drop down so as not to have notebook:notebookname remaining in the search box.  Call me OCD....  ;)  

It would look something like:

{#CTRL {#ALT -chars f}}{#sleep 3}{#NONE -chars notebook:quick}{#ENTER}

• Level 5*
14 minutes ago, Maddhin said:

the notebooks per se are not changing but the notebooks I am working with are changing. I do have a stack for "active project" notebooks, which is useful but refering/jumping to those notebooks (ideally also out of other applications/documents with a weblink) would be super in creating workflows and cross-references. E.g. one could jump from a to-do-app item to the EN notebook with one click. Of course, this works with a note already but the task is not necessarily related to an individual note etc. Plus, the note might be revised or deleted over time but I do keep the notebooks in an archive stack.

I guess "the problem" is I'm using EN a bit similar to a "Windows Explorer" kind of logic. For me this is the most efficient as I put a lot of material into EN every day and tagging has the problem that I do not have an overview of different projects, etc. I actually do tag notes in the notebooks but the main problem with that is that I need to remember all the tags I used.

There are good tagging systems out there but call me old fashioned: clicking that notebook and scrolling through works very well for me rather than going to search and search for all project notes with a tag;) I guess I am using EN very actively/dynamically and not only as an archive only sort of thing.

But the hot key solution is definetely good for the notebooks most often used! Thanks!

Got it, I think.  EN has neither a notebook jump link nor a deeply nested notebook structure.  So you can only get in the neighborhood of what you want with workarounds, unfortunately.

One project solution that has been discussed before is to create a project tag for each project with a prefix of period, .Project.  Then put those projects in a multi layer tag hierarchy, just like Windows Explorer, with the root being the parent of !Projects so as to float to the top of the tag tree.  One can then find projects through tag selection, Ctrl-Alt-T or by navigating the tag tree.  And not too many other tags.  Same sort of PE hotkeying for project jumps.  Lots of luck, hope you find something that fits your eye..  :)

@csihilling thanks a bunch - I'm actually ok with notebooks and stacks (I'm adding some hierachy by naming the notebooks) - and sooner or later I'll also figure out on how to integrate EN notebooks into other apps.

Frankly, the only thing that "annoys" me a bit is that EN has the ability of those links - as you can put the notebook in favourites and it jumps right to the notebook - but no way to utilize it outside the favourite bar;) 

• Like 1
On 8/14/2016 at 1:09 AM, Maddhin said:

Hi,

Did anybody figure this out? Would be SUPER helpful! THANKS!!

Hi, @Maddhin and @Evernote.

We can add a Notebook to our  Shortcuts (at least I just did on my iPhone), so how is that done behind the scenes...? Wouldn't it be possible for Evernote to make that process available to us to use within notes? 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
4 hours ago, DebiB said:

Hi, @Maddhin and @Evernote.

We can add a Notebook to our  Shortcuts (at least I just did on my iPhone), so how is that done behind the scenes...? Wouldn't it be possible for Evernote to make that process available to us to use within notes? 

I don't know whether there are any technical issues with creating a shortcut to notebooks,  but the practical concerns would be along the same lines as adding eye color to George Washington on Mt Rushmore.  A small amount of effort and very limited skills required for the actual job,  but the preparation work and the access could be a monster,  and the actual benefit (for Evernote) once it's done?....

• Level 5*

Evernote isn't "denying" anything - they just haven't gotten around to doing this yet.  If it was easy,  it probably would have been done - but Evernote for Windows is 20MB of code in which you need to insert the right extra line or lines to make this happen.  Then you need to do the same for Mac / Android and iOS...  and not break the existing features in the process. 

Not saying they couldn't or shouldn't do it,  just pointing out there's some work involved.  And judging by this thread a whole '1' user is waiting breathlessly for this to happen...  not much incentive for them to prioritize this feature above the thousands of other essential tweaks and bug fixes others have asked for.

Additional votes (click at top left of the page) may help to move it up the list... :)

1 hour ago, jefito said:

Moved to Feature Requests zone. Should probably be merged with the topic in the above post, as it's essentially the same thing.

thanks & I think it would be great to merge the two threads

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Infinite Identity said:

Bump on this feature request. 

There is no need to 'bump' feature requests. You should use the voting button, up at the top left of this topic.

One suggestion / workaround for the original idea is for the Windows client: if you are looking at a note, a Shift+Click on the notebook name in the notebook header will open up that notebook.

• Level 5*
Just now, JBKELLEY said:

The last comment here was six months ago. Anyone have an update?

The user vote count is 5a1edcd1d0325_ScreenShot2017-11-29at08_13_31.png.8e3841a0df2a619327796a2b317f1551.png

Evernote has not indicated any interest in implementing "Link from inside a note to saved searches"

I make heavy use of saved searches. I basically use saved searches as a "Project View". So if I have a project going on, or am planning a trip I create a project title (i.e. - "Kitchen Remodel 2017" or "Family Disney Vacation 2018") and title every note related to that project with that project title somewhere in the title of each note related to that project. I also put a tag called "Projects" on the note. I then can create a saved search that includes the project title (I.e. "Kitchen Remodel 2017) and the tag "Projects and I can see all relevant notes very quickly. To help maintain consistency of this system I will also maintain a reference note that lists out all my current 'projects.' I will use a table that lists project title, project description and relative time frame of the project.

It would be awesome to be able to include in that table a link that runs a specific search for that project so I could use it like a table of contents and not be managing a bunch of saved searches.

I'm sure someone will ask me why I don't just create a tag for each project. I specifically do not create a specific tag for each project because I will be ever increasing the number of tags and over time I will have a more cluttered mess of tags than I do now. Also, if I ever wanted to clean them up I would have to delete the tag which would effectively break the link between relevant projects. With the system I have devised I can always recreate the search query if I wanted to go back and review or search a specific project for something even if I have deleted the saved search.

• Level 5*
4 minutes ago, ChuckW said:

It would be awesome to be able to include in that table a link that runs a specific search for that project so I could use it like a table of contents and not be managing a bunch of saved searches.

Note that you can create Shortcuts to saved searches.

It makes access a little easier.  There are also feature request for links to Shortcut entries

As a work-around, you could store the search parameters in your note and copy/paste them into the search box
Using a script would make this easier

5 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Note that you can create Shortcuts to saved searches.

It makes access a little easier.  There are also feature request for links to Shortcut entries

As a work-around, you could store the search parameters in your note and copy/paste them into the search box
Using a script would make this easier

I do make use of the shortcuts to saved searches already, those are awesome. Had not thought of saving the search parameters in the note and the script sounds interesting, unfortunately not familiar with the script language used to do such a task. (I took lots of C and C++ back in college days but haven't used it since). Any guidance on where one could go to learn to write such a script?

• Level 5*
30 minutes ago, ChuckW said:

I do make use of the shortcuts to saved searches already, those are awesome. Had not thought of saving the search parameters in the note and the script sounds interesting, unfortunately not familiar with the script language used to do such a task. (I took lots of C and C++ back in college days but haven't used it since). Any guidance on where one could go to learn to write such a script?

You can also use a a text expander like PhraseExpress or AutoHotkey to automate your search process.

• Level 5*
On 2017-12-26 at 9:45 AM, ChuckW said:

Any guidance on where one could go to learn to write such a script?

If you're on a Mac, you should learn about the AppleScript utility.  The scripting layer is built into the Evernote app

I'm also checking out Workflow for iPads, but it's not as fully featured.

• Level 5*
20 hours ago, ChuckW said:

I'm sure someone will ask me why I don't just create a tag for each project.  I specifically do not create a specific tag for each project because I will be ever increasing the number of tags and over time I will have a more cluttered mess of tags than I do now. Also, if I ever wanted to clean them up I would have to delete the tag which would effectively break the link between relevant projects. With the system I have devised I can always recreate the search query if I wanted to go back and review or search a specific project for something even if I have deleted the saved search.

Using titles to link project notes together is problematic in my view: you cannot retitle multiple notes at the same time (leading to the brittleness you refer to); using tags seems like a better approach, since you can tag multiple notes at the same time.

In any case, I'm not sure why you'd end up with a cluttered mess of tags; you can organize those separately in the tag tree, that matters to you (spending time re-ordering my tag tree is a low-value activity for me, so I rarely do it). I'm also not sure why cleaning up your tags would require you to delete tags; you can move them around your tag tree without breaking any linkages to the notes they apply to, and you can rename them, again without breaking any linkages. Tags your notes accordingly, and don't depend on a tag/title link (tags are independent of titles). This should work fine.

On a deeper level, I'd ask whether you've considered using more general atomic tags rather than unique tags for each project/activity. That is,, don't use  specific tags like "Kitchen Remodel 2-017". Instead, use simple and general tags in combination to categorize your projects. Have a "Project" tag. Have a "Household" tag. Have a "Remodel" tag. Have a "Family" tag. Have a "Vacation" tag.  Have "2016", "2017",  and "2018" tags. Have a "Kitchen" tag. And so on, whatever categorizations are meaningful to you. These tags can then be applied in combinations to notes to make things more generally searchable. And add in specific tags, e.g., "Disney" as needed. So a search on "tag:Family tag:vacation tag:2017" will find all family vacations in 2017, a search on "tag:Family tag:vacation tag:Disney" will find all vacations your family has ever taken at Disney. A search on "tag:2017" will locate all 2017 activities. A search on "tag:kitchen tag:remodel" will locate notes related to your kitchen remodel. For each project, have a main note that -- similar to what's suggested above -- embeds the specific search to find all associated notes (each of which you would tag as required); hey, tag the main note with "Overview" so you can locate all project main notes. You can also plug those into ssaved searches as needed.

• Level 5*

@ChuckW

I agree with what @jefito says relative to tags being less problematic.  One difference however, is the atomic tag concept. 

I'd keep naming the projects as you have been with the addition of a period as a prefix.   So .Kitchen.Remoldel.2017 becomes the tag (or .2017.Kitchen.Remodel if a tag sort is important) .  Use periods between words to simplify search. 

This facilitates project searches, tag:.*, and also floats the project tags to the front of the tags displayed per note in either of the list views or the snippet view.  That being said, you have to do what suits your eye.

• Level 5*
On 2017-12-26 at 9:27 AM, ChuckW said:

I specifically do not create a specific tag for each project because I will be ever increasing the number of tags

I do create a specific tag for each project, and yes, it leads to an increasing tag count

My method of archiving tags is to prefix with an x.  The tags are still on the list, but sort to the bottom.  
I have 30 active "Project -" tags and over 700 "xProject -" tags

• Level 5*
12 minutes ago, CalS said:

One difference however, is the atomic tag concept. 

I'd keep naming the projects as you have been with the addition of a period as a prefix.   So .Kitchen.Remoldel.2017 becomes the tag (or .2017.Kitchen.Remodel if a tag sort is important) .  Use periods between words to simplify search. 

This facilitates project searches, tag:.*, and also floats the project tags to the front of the tags displayed per note in either of the list views or the snippet view.  That being said, you have to do what suits your eye.

Caveat if you use this technique: you can only match on a tag's prefix, not  on a substring inside the tag. I.e., if you use Kitchen Remodel 2017", this will only match queries like "tag:Kit*" or tag "Kit*", but won't match, e.g. "tag:Remodel*", "tag:*Remodel*", "tag:*2017*", etc.

That's why I choose to use atomic tags.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, jefito said:

Caveat if you use this technique: you can only match on a tag's prefix, not  on a substring inside the tag. I.e., if you use Kitchen Remodel 2017", this will only match queries like "tag:Kit*" or tag "Kit*", but won't match, e.g. "tag:Remodel*", "tag:*Remodel*", "tag:*2017*", etc.

That's why I choose to use atomic tags.

For sure, though not an issue for me.  In my world I never actually put a date in the project tag, just the name.  And If I go brain dead on the name, I just hit the tag selector with a . and scroll.

• Like 1
On 12/27/2017 at 8:41 AM, jefito said:

Using titles to link project notes together is problematic in my view: you cannot retitle multiple notes at the same time (leading to the brittleness you refer to); using tags seems like a better approach, since you can tag multiple notes at the same time.

In any case, I'm not sure why you'd end up with a cluttered mess of tags; you can organize those separately in the tag tree, that matters to you (spending time re-ordering my tag tree is a low-value activity for me, so I rarely do it). I'm also not sure why cleaning up your tags would require you to delete tags; you can move them around your tag tree without breaking any linkages to the notes they apply to, and you can rename them, again without breaking any linkages. Tags your notes accordingly, and don't depend on a tag/title link (tags are independent of titles). This should work fine.

On a deeper level, I'd ask whether you've considered using more general atomic tags rather than unique tags for each project/activity. That is,, don't use  specific tags like "Kitchen Remodel 2-017". Instead, use simple and general tags in combination to categorize your projects. Have a "Project" tag. Have a "Household" tag. Have a "Remodel" tag. Have a "Family" tag. Have a "Vacation" tag.  Have "2016", "2017",  and "2018" tags. Have a "Kitchen" tag. And so on, whatever categorizations are meaningful to you. These tags can then be applied in combinations to notes to make things more generally searchable. And add in specific tags, e.g., "Disney" as needed. So a search on "tag:Family tag:vacation tag:2017" will find all family vacations in 2017, a search on "tag:Family tag:vacation tag:Disney" will find all vacations your family has ever taken at Disney. A search on "tag:2017" will locate all 2017 activities. A search on "tag:kitchen tag:remodel" will locate notes related to your kitchen remodel. For each project, have a main note that -- similar to what's suggested above -- embeds the specific search to find all associated notes (each of which you would tag as required); hey, tag the main note with "Overview" so you can locate all project main notes. You can also plug those into saved searches as needed.

Thanks for the feedback as I find it really interesting on how others structure tags as I am going through a setup of Evernote Business for my business and struggling with appropriate level of detail on tags and also how to keep my arms around it so random and meaningless or duplicate tags don't appear.

Really though, I have no issue with my technique being brittle (at least when used by me as an individual, it would be more problematic in a team environment). I don't create notes 10, 5 or even 3 at a time. I create notes one at a time and I have to title all of them individually anyways, so it is easy to keep a "table of projects" list open in the background, copy and paste the title of the project in the title of the new note. For example: YYYY/MM/DD - Note Description - Project Title. The system works very well for me and hence I'm not really asking for advice on the use of tags to change it, I'm just looking for a feature from Evernote (which not being a professional programmer may or may not be feasible)  in which you can embed a search query as a hyperlink in a note. This would be useful even for folks that organize there projects with tags. I could then save a hyperlink on my Note that has all my projects listed out and have a link in the table that performs the search query to show all the relevant notes. For now I just use saved searches and it works fine. When I am done with the project I can delete the saved search, but at the same time if I ever wanted to go back and review the project for something I can still recreate the search.

Also, there is a problem with organizing tags in a tree with Evernote Business, it appears they don't allow you to tree them in Business version (if they do I haven't figured out how yet). Also the iOS versions don't let you view your tags by tree, only alphabetically which is another request I put in somewhere else. I tend to have a higherarchy of tags by category. I.e. - people (list of relevant people), Status (draft, final, rev 1 ,rev 2), Urgency (I try to use the Eisenhower Matrix so four tags: Urgent, Important, Not Important, Not Urgent) and Type (Letter, E-mail, Contract, Phone Call, Meeting Notes, Agenda etc). because of this organization system I wish you could see the trees in iOS but you cant. 

I do try to keep all my tags very high level and not get specific with dates.

• Level 5*

Aside from the off-topic wandering into tagging strategies, I think that relative to the request for embedding a search as a hyperlink, it would be nice to be able to select text in a note and search for it, similar to how you can select text in a web page in Chrome, right-click, and select "Search Google for <blah>". This would allow you do embed the text of a search in a note, and apply the search easily. For extra credit, allow adding the text to the current search, and allow the user to select and apply the selection as a search in either the current notebook/stack context or as an "All Notes" search.

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, jefito said:

Aside from the off-topic wandering into tagging strategies, I think that relative to the request for embedding a search as a hyperlink, it would be nice to be able to select text in a note and search for it, similar to how you can select text in a web page in Chrome, right-click, and select "Search Google for <blah>". This would allow you do embed the text of a search in a note, and apply the search easily. For extra credit, allow adding the text to the current search, and allow the user to select and apply the selection as a search in either the current notebook/stack context or as an "All Notes" search.

I implemented a workaround for this with PhraseExpress.  I select/highlight whatever text, then <Ctrl><Alt><RightMouse> over the highlighted text and next thing you know i have the search results for the text in EN..Even works for text I highlight in other apps.  Sometimes if the app doesn't have what you want you improvise.  FWIW,.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, CalS said:

I implemented a workaround for this with PhraseExpress.  I select/highlight whatever text, then <Ctrl><Alt><RightMouse> over the highlighted text and next thing you know i have the search results for the text in EN..Even works for text I highlight in other apps.  Sometimes if the app doesn't have what you want you improvise.  FWIW,.

Back to link to saved searches; the search parameters are stored in the database, accessed by shortcut name.  
This qualifies as a shortcut link in a note if we can script the access part5a45d92d717bc_ScreenShot2017-12-28at21_56_24.png.4c9fc701d178b85eb88575f4476c62fe.png
This is do-able using Applescript (Mac)

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, DTLow said:

Back to link to saved searches

Not sure what that means. Point is the capability to put a link in a note to a saved search doesn’t exist natively in EN.  One either has to go without or create a solution whether in a text expander or a scripting language, pending EN ever deploying something. 

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, CalS said:

One either has to go without or create a solution

And my work-around solution is: use a script to retrieve the saved search parameters from the database

It's a step up from storing the search parameters in the note content

An example is, I can add the name "GTD-Projects" to the note, and the script retrieves "tag:Type-Projects -tag:Archive"

• Level 5*
35 minutes ago, ChuckW said:

Children, Children...lets not fight over this..its a simple feature request! :)

Thank you for all the insight, I will look into PhraseExpress etc for the time being! Have a happy New Year!

You are welcome.  Mostly joy of the English language.  If you have any PE questions, feel free to post back.  Good luck.