Control Which Image Shown in a Note's Thumbnail/Snippet View

marcelo

Idea

• Level 5*

So.  527 votes as of today.  My maths is a little  vague,  but that seems to mean that .0003% of users here are vehemently in favour.  Assuming there are another 100 or so forums where similar support has been expressed,  that might move it up to .003%  Hard to see why Evernote haven't tried to accommodate folks..

And please stop saying "this is simple".  Changing Evernote's live code is like changing an LED on a racing car - while it's in use.

I totally agree this is a nice to have - but if you really need this feature now.,  please cancel your account and find something else that provides the flexibility

• Thanks 1

@gazumped - Yeah I guess that kind of puts it in perspective.... Though to alter perception again, my guess is that 80-90 percent of users would love to have this feature if they even knew what it would do for the management of their notes. We're just the 0.0003% who bother to try and find out why it isn't already in place.

This is the only feature request I've ever made I think... and this is the only thread I follow on Evernote Community Forum. I've been here for years as many of us have.

Others will have doubtless left EN by now for other pastures, but I'm a bit too invested in the architecture currently with thousands of notes etc - so am reluctant to re-train elsewhere. Not to say I won't do it one day.

I accept that the coding to create this is likely to be harder than many of us might think... but adding features and altering / bettering functionality is what all successful providers of this kind of service have to do daily - otherwise they get left behind. I know you already know this!

I think a lot of people here also feel a bit un-listened to. TBH, 0.0003% or not, to be able to identify your specific notes using a thumbnail image is really pretty basic in terms of how human logical / ergonomic interactivity works. Icons are everything, and we've known this for decades... so it seems a bit of a shame that this tiny percentage of sad, long-term users have existed here trying to point out that it is more than just worth the effort to make this feature a functioning option... and then have those at EN who monitor this page ignore us instead of thanking us for our observations and for our patience.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
41 minutes ago, spiketrain said:

those at EN who monitor this page ignore us instead of thanking us for our observations and for our patience.

I think the number of pages on which Evernote have responded in the past has been in the same percentiles we're just talking about.  Can't guess how many threads there are in the Forums,  but there are hundreds,  probably thousands of suggestions for changes,  many in this sort of votable thread and many more which pre-date them. 

Evernote would have to fund a team of agents to respond to any given number - and where do you draw the line?  500 votes in favour?  100?  10?...  and then (for I used to run a support team) you'll get the ones who didn't get a response wondering why those who did are so special,  and those who did get a response pushing to know whether any work has been done on this yet,  and when's the release date. 

The staff responding would be tying up time with managers and coders asking questions internally...  I believe the expression "can of worms" covers the situation here.

All of which is great for the competition who know what to work on and when to release it (usually about a week before Evernote plans to.)  It's corporately better to say nuffin' and let folks think what they may - and let your team get on with their coding so you can release something you have already planned for as fast as possible.

I do agree with you that Evernote could be vastly better in many ways - but given that they have a vast technical debt because of the client data and format they already have,  and an admin debt in that they have new owners and (hopefully lots of) new staff on the job,  my opinion as always is:

"Stay if you can work around an issue - leave if you can't"

• Like 1

Hello Everyone,

Has this function been added to Evernote, already?

I cannot find it so probably not. If so, I'd like to join the requesters below.

If I had a chance to make a one and the only one adjustment to Evernote, it would be: selecting the thumbnail image by the user.

I do hope this function finds its way to the app.

Thank you.

I get so many updates for activity on this thread! Surely that's some anecdotal indication that this is a missing quality of life feature that many people have been grinning and bearing for years. 😅

22 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

No, this is open, and no signs it will be implemented.

Not necessarily a very encouraging one, but a glimmer of hope perhaps?  Recently I got this response back to my user feedback submission regarding the thumbnail selection issue.  On the other hand, I have seen the same  language in a response to at least one other of my inquiries I submitted, so it could just be completely meaningless boilerplate stuff.

I understand you would like the thumbnail image to be user-selectable.

We haven’t built this feature into the new Evernote app. This is one of a handful of  features we are still considering. Thanks for letting us know this feature is important to you. I will share this information with our product team.

Steven

• Like 1
3 hours ago, caineo said:

I get so many updates for activity on this thread! Surely that's some anecdotal indication that this is a missing quality of life feature that many people have been grinning and bearing for years. 😅

Me too.  I'm need to unfollow.   Not important.  But the other day it occurred to me "if they didn't put images there at all - it might be better?   But eventually even the wrong images help one identify.  And they are often right or close enough.   

The issue is that the images are basically an avatar for the topic.  Or illustration to an article.   Fantastic to have an illustration, but a constant grating feeling to have a picture of a train or a worm representing your article about cats.   Only a few get significantly misrepresented but it just feels wrong to keep seeing a topic illustrated in a conflicting manner.   If you are going to show an avatar, either let me choose it or make it so generic that it's not wrong at least.  

A little thing that does not go away if you use EN steadily.  But I ignore it like those barking dogs that always go off.  Such is life. Little things.

• Like 2

This is so much like MYOB who ignore their users too.

It seems the bigger and better these organisations try to claim they are, the reality is so often the opposite.

I cant believe it still has not been resolved with a feature addition - in 12 years, 12 years, can you believe that? For a feature that directly affects the main interface between the user and their data and their ability to "identify" their data. Its front and centre in the interface, but instead the developers get caught up in how THEY want it to look. What, they can't spare 1 developer to have a crack at this in 12 years? They are showing that they in the game of making money, not useful tools. If they once did care, they have long since lost their sense of direction. 12 years, did I mention that?

Then you come across a developer who is a one-person-band and ask for a feature in their App and within weeks its added. Case in point Calengoo - brilliant calendar app and a developer that stands head and shoulders above these corporate conglomerates and its not even a subscription model.

The bigger they are the dumber they are and the worse they get.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
15 hours ago, ACTTEL said:

MYOB meaning "mind your own business"?  I don't actually see the connection.  Nor do I see the connection between the fact that Evernote simply does not (usually) comment on whether or not they plan on adding a feature until they actually add it,  and despite the number of votes this feature has,  it signifies that only a fraction of a fraction of a percent of users are agitating for it.  200 Million people use this service (OK - after all the fuss 100 Million:  let's agree on a LOT of users) and messing with the features is not something you do just on a whim.  If they plan to add this feature into the new app (released with many features requested by users) they'll do it when they next schedule image-handling changes - which might be sometime in the next 2 years... or not.  If you can wait - fine;  if you can't,  there's other note-taking software that will welcome your business.

15 hours ago, ACTTEL said:

It seems the bigger and better these organisations try to claim they are, the reality is so often the opposite.

I cant believe it still has not been resolved with a feature addition - in 12 years, 12 years, can you believe that? For a feature that directly affects the main interface between the user and their data and their ability to "identify" their data. Its front and centre in the interface, but instead the developers get caught up in how THEY want it to look. What, they can't spare 1 developer to have a crack at this in 12 years? They are showing that they in the game of making money, not useful tools. If they once did care, they have long since lost their sense of direction. 12 years, did I mention that?

Then you come across a developer who is a one-person-band and ask for a feature in their App and within weeks its added. Case in point Calengoo - brilliant calendar app and a developer that stands head and shoulders above these corporate conglomerates and its not even a subscription model.

The bigger they are the dumber they are and the worse they get.

Why don't you use a notes app from a one-person-band then?

I would absolutely love to be able to control the image that is shown in the thumbnail, but I don't believe throwing shade is going to help get that done any better than voicing support in a positive way.

• Evernote Expert

This is a known request and had been almost forever in Evernote terms. I am pretty sure that it isn't the highest priority so enjoy your Evernote renaissance but don't hold your breath waiting for this to arrive.

• Evernote Expert

It's easy to believe since it had never been a feature in Evernote. Perhaps it should be but there is no evidence that it has ever been or will ever be. 🤕

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, TedChuang said:

many advanced features in competing platforms

..I'm not sure that all of them do thumbnails!  I do know Evernote don't comment in areas like this,  so if choosing your thumbnail is important to you,  you should follow the work-arounds that have been mentioned many many times before,  or find a competitor that provides this functionality - Evernote may include this is their next update - or leave it for another year or two while they work on something they give a higher priority.

It's a shame that after 13 years this function isn't implemented.
I have a bunch of clips that have the wrong thumbnail, by which I can't recognise the item in question.

Evernote is still the best web note taking app, but it is by a hair.

• Like 1
Em 10/06/2023 at 07:39, GeckoGroen disse:

It's a shame that after 13 years this function isn't implemented.
I have a bunch of clips that have the wrong thumbnail, by which I can't recognise the item in question.

Evernote is still the best web note taking app, but it is by a hair.

I think this feature will never get implemented unfortunately. Still using EN daily but I gave up on trying to get the right thumbnail to show. 

The way it works now, for some of my notebooks the thumbnail is useless as all of them show the first image it found -> my company logo 

Crikey. I'm a paying customer, not sure if that matters. Anyway, visual recognition seems like 101 in the note biz. I know I'm waisting my time if after 12 years they haven't created a solution despite a lot of interest but just in case... 

Dear Evernote, 

When searching for notes I use my eyes and images help. The algorithm you currently use now is not effective, in fact, it makes things more confusing. Please offer a way to set the image that's most helpful/useful to the customer.

Thank you,

Visual Guy

• Like 6

So frustrating. I have both personal and business Evernote accounts. In my personal account, I keep a record of all of my sewing patterns, including the image of the pattern cover. Invariably, Evernote picks an image of the pattern dimensions and NOT the image of the actual item. This makes recognition of the item while scanning an impossibility. How is this STILL not a feature! 

It's nearly enough to make me finally quite Evernote. And if you're listening Evernote, that's my entire team I'd like to move. 

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, mnewcome said:

And if you're listening Evernote

This is a mainly user-supported forum.  Try contacting Support. 

Since it's now much easier to create links between notes,  I'm using a "table of contents" note with one image in an 'Index' notebook linked to one or more other child notes in a library.  View the Index notebook and you see only the image you chose to include.  Choose one note to see it's linked child(ren).

Evernote's new owners have only been around for 6 months and have been fixing speed and reliability.  Image choices may be on their radar at some time in the future,  but until then there's only work-arounds...

• Thanks 1

From what I can tell this note was created in 2011, TWELVE (12) years ago.

I saw an earlier reply that asked us to put our responses here as they take our suggestions/feedback seriously.

So all I can say is after 12 years, users are STILL UNABLE TO CHOSE THE IMAGE TO USE ON THE THUMBNAIL?! REALLY?!

I would appreciate hearing from EN on why this has not be resolved after 12 years?

• Level 5*
9 minutes ago, Myztique said:

I would appreciate hearing from EN on why this has not be resolved after 12 years?

Hi. 

1. New owners took over Evernote six months ago,  since when they've been concentrating on making basic operations faster and more reliable - and fixing a few bugs along the way.  They'll get around to dealing with suggestions at a later date.
  2. In all the 12 years you mentioned,  Evernote have never commented on any individual post in any of the Forums - I wouldn't expect them to start now.
  3. A couple of work-arounds have already been mentioned here - they're easy to use.
  4. As users,  we're allowed to make suggestions... as owners Evernote may or may not decide to adopt them.  It's entirely their choice,  no justification necessary.
  5. This is a -mainly- user-supported Forum,  and it's never necessary to SHOUT to get attention. Please don't.
  • Level 5*
12 minutes ago, Myztique said:

I'll make that suggestion to the new owners, daily, if I have to.

There's nothing like a well thought out,  reasoned explanation of the need for a new feature to motivate a company to consider spending a lot of money developing and releasing it.

I am not the only one who wants this feature.  It has been asked for and gone unanswered for 12 years.  I am also a premium subscriber who just wants a functional app.  This app has gone downhill since I started using it 10 years ago.  More noticeable recently.  Hey what would you use if you wanted to leave Evernote?  I am looking!

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, gazumped said:

There's nothing like a well thought out,  reasoned explanation of the need for a new feature to motivate a company to consider spending a lot of money developing and releasing it.

Maybe the best way to show the need is with a few examples.

image.png.05905cd164d012d6f5ee9b941a183597.png

image.png.a4ffd7e74a0ce37d49464ccaa193aa3e.png

image.png.2f749ec9614576c5741863fbdc100723.png

I have hundreds like this.  These are just a few recent ones.  I'm sure these are all nice people, but their images don't help with the subject matter at all.  This is mainly an issue with web clips for me.  Web clips usually contain several images, and at least one of them would capture the subject well.  If only I could select the one I want ...

• Like 3
3 horas atrás, s2sailor disse:

Maybe the best way to show the need is with a few examples.

image.png.05905cd164d012d6f5ee9b941a183597.png

image.png.a4ffd7e74a0ce37d49464ccaa193aa3e.png

image.png.2f749ec9614576c5741863fbdc100723.png

I have hundreds like this.  These are just a few recent ones.  I'm sure these are all nice people, but their images don't help with the subject matter at all.  This is mainly an issue with web clips for me.  Web clips usually contain several images, and at least one of them would capture the subject well.  If only I could select the one I want ...

I have employee files as Evernote notes. It would be great to see the picture of the employee in the note instead of some random meaningless document picture. 

for me I think about 20% of the l pictures selected as the thumbnail make sense. The rest are meaningless. 

• Like 2
  • Level 5*

I already suggested this above I think - but to avoid any extensive editing,  how about simply having an 'index' note with only the picture of the employee and any other details you need quickly,  plus a link to the original note filed in a 'library' notebook somewhere...?

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*

The thing about work-arounds is they will work immediately,  while waiting for Evernote to 'fix' something takes anywhere from months to years, depending on whether and when they will schedule the work.  The Editor is probably a bit complicated,  so they'll want to collect all possible fixes and features in one place and then decide which to implement.  Unless they're working on the Editor already,  I doubt you'll see any progress this year...

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, gazumped said:

while waiting for Evernote to 'fix' something takes anywhere from months to years,

Who’s waiting?  If my usage of Evernote depended on this I would have moved to a different app years ago.  I’ve been a user since 2007 so this obviously isn’t holding me back but it is an irritant that I hope the team sees fit to rectify some day.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
27 minutes ago, jaranovich said:

Choosing a note's thumbnail is one of the most important usability features.  This issue has been raised 12 years ago and is likely wanted by most users, it being still unresolved is a reflection on Evernote's management.  As the notes that we have accumulated over time cannot be ported effectively and efficiently to another application, Evernote's users are  hostage to a company that, as in this case, disrespects its customers.  Shame on you!

Wow. I'm impressed. You could not be more wrong.

1. Choosing the thumbnail is not my - or many others' - most important feature
  2. The issue was raised 12 years ago with the previous owners,  as a suggestion;  there are new owners now who haven't had time work out their priorities yet.
  3. This is NOT wanted by 'most users'  - 544 votes here is slightly outclassed by a 200 MILLION silent majority.
  4. Notes are fully downloadable from the Notebooks page as HTML PDF or ENEX files and many competitors offer conversion routines if you want to move.

Evernote,  like Word and Acrobat and Lightroom is a software package that invites suggestions from users for possible improvements.  It is not required that the company comment on suggestions,  or explain when or whether they will extend their product.  Suggest away - but it's Evernote's decision if they do anything with that information.

10 horas atrás, gazumped disse:

I already suggested this above I think - but to avoid any extensive editing,  how about simply having an 'index' note with only the picture of the employee and any other details you need quickly,  plus a link to the original note filed in a 'library' notebook somewhere...?

Yes this workaround would work for any note you would want to have control over the thumbnail if you have a static environment.  But it is very cumbersome, especially when working in a team and when you start sharing and linking notes. 

If you would like to update the employee picture then it would be a pain to go through all linked and shared notes and rework everything. Not very productive for a productivity app. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

I really wish the 200 million number wasn’t bandied about.  It is terribly misleading and only used to falsely strengthen a point.  What is the origin of that number?  Included, I’m sure, are abandoned, multiple and free accounts.  What none of us know is the number of paying users, and that is really the metric that should be used.  What percentage of these paying users visit the forum and vote?  I would speculate far fewer still.  All we can gather out of forum votes are some trends.  Vote totals shouldn’t be used as absolute.

• Like 4
  • Level 5*
12 hours ago, Boot17 said:

Just curious if you even use the Snippets view?

Not usually,  no.  Don't get me wrong - I'd probably use the 'choose thumbnail' option if we get one,  but it's low down the priority of getting things faster and more reliable,  and tidying up a zillion other things.

11 hours ago, s2sailor said:

only used to falsely strengthen a point.

Y'mean like "most important usability features" or "wanted by most users"?  My point was that the Forums here are not the pinnacle of customer feedback for Evernote - Facebook and Reddit have several active groups,  plus there's the blog and Youtube,  and all the direct feedback to CS and Support.

And let's not forget

1. These are suggestions not instructions.
  2. Some requests may be commercially or technically easier than others.
  3. Some requests may be commercially or technically faster to implement than others.
  4. Evernote -like most other companies- is unlikely to say whether or when a feature will be added.
  5. End of the day - the company doesn't have to explain or justify its decisions to users.
  • Level 5*
On 8/14/2023 at 6:21 AM, gazumped said:
  • Evernote -like most other companies- is unlikely to say whether or when a feature will be added.
  • End of the day - the company doesn't have to explain or justify its decisions to users.

I agree, but I would also suggest that Evernote can't be held up as an example of company success.  They were once at mythical unicorn status to now ... sold.  The VCs got tired of waiting and got what they could.  Once the current fix activity settles down, the new owners might consider a little more transparent engagement with their user base.  Poor communication wasn't Evernote's only problem, but it was certainly a contributor.

• Like 2

I've only posted recently in this thread -- a dozen times over maybe the last couple of years compared to its 12 years of existence. I've only found two ways to get satisfaction from the thumbnails:

#1 - Only have one image and one image only in your note. This is, of course, not really a good or practical solution.

The best solution that I am now using is my recently discovered #2 option:

#2 - Don't use the snippet or card view. Seriously.

I used to be a big time snippet view person. That's all I used and the thumbnails were pretty much worthless. So why did I persist using it? I don't know.

Now I'm using the side list view on Desktop and I am in ignorant bliss of the thumbnails (probably joining with some of you) and am finding the side list view better in some ways anyway (easier to see the date modified, tags, easier to switch sorting on modify date or title). Should have just been using it a long time ago.

Dear Snippet View,

You're dead to me.

Signed, @Boot17

Ah, peace at last... 🤣

(Just some light-hearted jesting there... but really, I'm finding the side list view more useful now for me personally.)

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

PLEASE! Please, please, please. I desperately want to be able to change the thumbnail pictures. If I accidentally upload a wrong image and then delete it, the thumbnail still remains! We really need the ability to decide what thumbnail image is shown. Even have the ability to upload a separate image that isn’t in the note. It’s September 2023… 10 years later?! ASKING FOR THIS FEATURE! PLEASE! 

• Like 3
  • Level 5*
5 hours ago, ChipWhitehouse said:

PLEASE! Please, please, please. I desperately want to be able to change the thumbnail pictures. If I accidentally upload a wrong image and then delete it, the thumbnail still remains! We really need the ability to decide what thumbnail image is shown. Even have the ability to upload a separate image that isn’t in the note. It’s September 2023… 10 years later?! ASKING FOR THIS FEATURE! PLEASE! 

Hi.  The new owners have been in place for most of this year,  and seem to be spending their time fixing up old code that the original software engineers put togther in something of a hurry.  The current focus is on improving stability and speed.  Until that's done I don't think they'll be messing with details like this - and even if they do,  unless they're working on it already,  I'd imagine the production timeline is several months at least.  Unless and until they get there,  there's an easy fix which has been mentioned above.  Create a new note with the correct picture(s) copy the old note content across.  Delete old not with wrong pictures.  Easy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the fix of "Create a new note with the correct picture(s) copy the old note content across.  Delete old not with wrong pictures.  Easy." 

Sounds great and works great -- just so it's recorded here in case developers ever take a look,

1 - NOT necessarily "easy" when you have many Evernote notes linked to each other -- deleting the note means that I have to redo links in any notes I've manually linked it to. 

2 - I forward a LOT of emails to Evernote. When I can remember to delete any / all images I wouldn't want as thumbnails, then I get the thumbnail I want in Evernote proper. But to do that in dozens of emails every day is tiresome and pointless. Would be sooooo much easier to be able to choose thumbnail. Eventually! :)

Edited by raojenkins
  • Like 1
On 8/14/2023 at 6:21 AM, gazumped said:

Not usually,  no.  Don't get me wrong - I'd probably use the 'choose thumbnail' option if we get one,  but it's low down the priority of getting things faster and more reliable,  and tidying up a zillion other things.

Y'mean like "most important usability features" or "wanted by most users"?  My point was that the Forums here are not the pinnacle of customer feedback for Evernote - Facebook and Reddit have several active groups,  plus there's the blog and Youtube,  and all the direct feedback to CS and Support.

And let's not forget

1. These are suggestions not instructions.
  2. Some requests may be commercially or technically easier than others.
  3. Some requests may be commercially or technically faster to implement than others.
  4. Evernote -like most other companies- is unlikely to say whether or when a feature will be added.
  5. End of the day - the company doesn't have to explain or justify its decisions to users.

Completely disagree. Thumbnails are important. This is how I work around it:

When creating a note, the first thing I do is:

• Paste the image I want to be the thumbnail.
  • EN will then lock that image in.
  • Add title 
  • Add hyperlink
  • Finish the rest of the note with content and images

If I want to change the thumbnail, I build a new note and erase the old.

Certainly would be much easier if EN just added an image selection feature. This is an example of indifference to the Human Experience and being engineering code slaves.

• Like 5
  • Level 5*
8 minutes ago, SxWerks said:

Completely disagree. Thumbnails are important.

I disagree that we're disagreeing - thumbnails may be important to you,  but they're not especially so to me;  and Evernote's current feedback from users presumably doesn't indicate otherwise.  So if this is going to be fixed.  it won't be very soon.  Plus - your workaround,  which has already been repeated several times in the thread,  is easy enough when necessary.  I'll certainly use the 'choose thumbnail' option - if and when we get it - from time to time,  and I don't mind if everyone else pile in.  Just saying it may take some time...

So you decide that since you don't want this feature, nobody else does. You just don't understand the human experience. People recognize images, faces etc. This triggers the very idea and reason for the note. To deny the choice is what a coding engineer would seem perfectly logical but is blind to the human experience.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, SxWerks said:

So you decide that since you don't want this feature, nobody else does. You just don't understand the human experience. People recognize images, faces etc. This triggers the very idea and reason for the note. To deny the choice is what a coding engineer would seem perfectly logical but is blind to the human experience.

Hmmn.  That's not what I said either.  I'm another user, not a coding engineer.  Evernote receive their own feedback and decide what features to add.  It's a matter of fact that the feature is not currently available (and will not likely be available) for some time,  because it needs to go through development and testing.  If and when it is available I'll probably use it,  but it isn't an issue for me. 

Since it matters to you,  there are two options - use a workaround or find another app.  Your choice.

I'll add myself to this list. Not much new to say (although mine is the first comment in a new year!). I've an Evernote set-up which would be transformed in positive ways by being able to set the thumbnails. It's currently an irritation for me to manage them, and kills one use-case for me. Paying customer; since 2011 looking to minimise irritations and increase good-news stories with my commitment to this platform. Significant enough of an issue for me to reactivate this forum account I forgot I had. Now I'll go and find somewhere to vote and send in a support ticket.

• Like 5

HI,

Would be nice to have this feature. This in particular since the current 10 version does not refresh the thumbnail if you add or change a picture. Even if you remove the picture the thumbnail it remains as thumbnail. In the "earlier" time with Legacy and before you could at least resize a picture to make it smaller or put a larger picture and this would work out as you want it . This workaround doe not seem to work for me anymore. It seems that the thumbnail is actually generated once per device and not refreshed later. I therefore have thumbnails across devices that are different based on when I synced the note first. Not too nice...

Does anybody know have to force the refresh of the thumbnail?

Thanks

• Like 1

The inability to select the thumbnail image is a continued source of irritation especially as I do sometimes need to change the selected image which Evernote seems unable to handle. To have to create a fresh note just seems totally the wrong thing to do. Very frustrating over the years of using Evernote that this has not been addressed.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
3 hours ago, jpservices said:

Does anybody know have to force the refresh of the thumbnail?

48 minutes ago, BSJ said:

To have to create a fresh note just seems totally the wrong thing to do.

Doesn't always work,  but you can use the fact that Evernote won't change the thumbnail against it by creating a new note with one image and adding more content after the thumbnail shows up.  It's a work-around,  but since the new owners have been around for less than 18 months and have already rebuilt the product from the base code it's maybe not their highest priority amongst thousands of requests like "lose the '/' prompt"...

Yeah that does not work, at least not forever. I used that workaround on many notes and just like that one update changed all my thumbnails... They need to implement a proper solution.

• Like 1

Long time user, posting for first time on greatest issue I find with Evernote. (I feel as though I am just tagging onto a request that has been out here unresolved forever...sigh 😕) Why are there so many issues with the image preview on a note? I find that I create a note and NOTHING populates as an image preview - or it does so randomly, not even the top or largest image. I am a heavy users of images within my notes so having that show via the card/snippet view would be HELPFUL. I'd think we should have the ability to select an image in the note and choose "select as image preview") or something by now. Developers out there...this can't be that difficult an improvement or fix, right? Any updates on whether this will become a reality someday? Thanks. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
2 minutes ago, Mike Eilers said:

Why is this broken feature (or improvement) being overlooked?

No idea, but the company is under new ownership and recently has been adding some new features, so hopefully they have this one on their radar.

• Level 5

This is in fact no long lasting issue, because picking the thumbnail was never offered as a feature.

The workaround you mention stopped working when v10 was released. There are several older threads about it - you can find them in forum search, or way up in this thread.

You can send feedback to ask for it again. Explain why it would be helpful for your use of EN.

8 minutes ago, Rileydog6 said:

Please fix this issue!!!!

Evernote - at least show some respect to customers and provide us with an update or reason why this is still not done. 

I suggest you change your EN forum sort order to "sort by date" unless you have just actively chosen to ignore the previous post.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
11 minutes ago, Eduardo Estefano said:

Im not sure they read this forum anymore. 

It's not something they stay up to date with on a day-to-day basis,  but they are fixing some of the issues that get raised here.  They won't respond in this forum - use a Support ticket for that - but I'd bet that it all gets read sooner or later...

Finally some good news! I hope they fix it soon, because it's a disaster at the moment. For me the thumbnail for the same notes are a lot of times different on Android and Windows client. :(

• Level 5*
7 minutes ago, matej1990 said:

Finally some good news! I hope they fix it soon, because it's a disaster at the moment.

Technically they are not fixing anything.  The inability to select the thumbnail has been, frustratingly, there from day one.  This has been one of the most long requested features on the forum.

Good news indeed!!

• Like 2

Yeah I do not agree with you. They are fixing it. Both clients are on the latest version. 2 latest notes, 2 different thumbnails. Look what I see at the moment:

Android:

AP1GczOa3WOQ_WpdncMfYP3mvKK1JhMjN7lJIxOQ_VGWyU2LFWzoG3XMu18Z4t85JneupilmeL_9WPIy28MWWmhFizQRjXDgk7Z6XUSiDDYJ7YKmnneKn31AOfi688wuhOuywpJzwnjw2F0bmXZadIHiMq08R_F2ZJzvIcChU5Zmj2v8Z5EjFsXwPZhUM0FmU4s1xs8rxEocv626OzsK0CUdmQ-CKS5FFO0yNW8bb5VfoTakuRW9jtnnl46diet2jDdasZ3bKtwkt8yEB18CYi0VeQhkNm8y9SY2INk4OsP92ocNtgWK-WGpNtgASjktv5DIklZ1x5oiujvQnGI1z7GxVfltcBMrELhXE_Gn0VfuV8GZ3FD0VavwUt6jDtcXiAd3shDKA9tyMdi-tiE5J9BwNUNIHlbgJ3C-ap-F4nsjaaLYZcZ0Df-I7Ra5LaqSmCbKKwE9fE4Ro5Rok59hBqeV567vdsWomFIwVTtij9m5zjfpH9Jk-0uh9hF041XLYKZwcYIhKyLyjgWwX8D7ZMrX26F4AyKSrP_rA3cPNGkdqhYXIvtDoMdZARAgVR9CniA3_N3kXamYOvVN_q9k8775DB1cCGLCW2gyyh0dZHowe2SAaMI4zbkH-z9cR5skQPwjVvXhGRB5-UAu0cssj9YpgmkFhW01tLuq9r0NU6Mi-mcqtPLTvHz_CjMS4L1WNxpCpcBpgJgpQRgVXipqYkSDqzuYYOJIauRSUB0MMy2ZEfg1M8hCAXnTBqALln0qKsVangVK-Xz1snsAeu-ACNaAXsUbOBJKqrKwABXbM-5S53UxuJAzOEyOyn_LNK-Ol0r0vF6pB3ygp44c9nl7ogZdJCkp1AY7xaYAhzKNGwVCfdIqXHh7NtoR46dw9wxnmG5lo5kTKR0uyJggBB14b3W-eSgePXS5Yjw4cqWvbXHuh5IkluCdEyJGqocG8xej=w988-h1369-s-no-gm?authuser=0

Windows:

image.jpeg.898e8e71feb83c489cd78d495208f822.jpeg

And yes, I did force close both clients and opened them again. Same result.

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, matej1990 said:

And yes, I did force close both clients and opened them again. Same result.

Which is expected - the fix will be released soon;  I don't think anyone has the update yet.

• Like 1

I don't know about anyone else, but I am anxiously awaiting this long-needed fix/improvement!! Just created a note today and it grabbed the last image in the note, rather than the first and most important image - to finally have control of the thumbnail will be incredible.

• Like 5
  • Level 5*
15 minutes ago, jhanks64 said:

I want to remove a thumbnail when by deleting all images from a note, but the thumbnail stays there.

Create a new note - copy content across - delete old note.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
7 hours ago, M-Mark-E said:

I mean does Evernote need more money? Why can’t this VERY basic request be granted?

It's already in the pipeline - coming in an update soon.

it is coming finally! First step was taken, they said they fixed the thumbnail image updating when changing the picture in the note. Since they are already working in this area, next natural step would be to allow to select an image.

5 hours ago, Eduardo E said:

they said they fixed the thumbnail image updating when changing the picture in the note.

Except, for me at least, they haven't.

For me one of the top features on my wishlist.
I have a lot of notes where not a single image is (auto-)selected as thumbnail, others where thumbnails are selected that are not relevant.
Having the choice to set the thumbnail would make navigation and search much faster

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
11 minutes ago, belgiumbart said:

Having the choice to set the thumbnail would make navigation and search much faster

The desktop release notes already say that thumbnail changes will follow content changes - which is an indirect way to offer some control.  Whether it's also possible to select which image becomes the new thumbnail remains to be seen...

• Like 2

I'm surprised this simple function isn't available.  If I have a recipe note, I want the thumbnail to be the food,  not the author. Or,  if i have a note on a street rod,  I want the thumbnail to be of the car, not  some random pic of the interior.  This is dumb.  Give us some control of the thumbnails. 

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Mark8 said:

I'm surprised this simple function isn't available.

I'm surprised when one who has no knowledge of the software thinks that adding a new function should be simple.  I don't know if it is easy, but since Evernote has never had the function, there is either some difficulty to it, or they placed it in low priority, or maybe both. That said, we have been told that it is currently being worked on and I'm also looking forward to this.

• Level 5

Thumbnail creation and inserting it into notes is a server side function. In addition the thumbnail code had no user interaction - it was executing encapsulated. EN has been very reluctant to touch server functions (the massive block of code was called the "monolith").

Maybe after streamlining the servers they are more willing to touch functions like this.