Fourteen top features are now available for all users

You need 10.76.2 or above and right click a notebook, export as PDF should appear. Let me know if it doesn't as I'm on Professional so I can't see the personal side of things.

8 minutes ago, Jon/t said:

You need 10.76.2 or above and right click a notebook, export as PDF should appear. Let me know if it doesn't as I'm on Professional so I can't see the personal side of things.

image.png.a64312dac209ffd1c08a3cc9198fffcc.pngimage.png.895072f5875ed32daf1911704c862b8a.pngimage.png.b87e3728d80aa76ef3de9e12abc33ec5.png image.png.bd058bb2246dfbb2879a16854ed2579b.png

• Level 5*

Me too - available from the pop-out notebooks list when the left panel is hidden,  or from the Notebooks page (the notebook name,  but not the three-dots menu).notebookspopout.jpg.f82a759660509fe4e2e67794df042f6f.jpg

Moreover, release notes tell us the following:

Improvements:

• The breadcrumbs now also include the title of a note
  • Added alignment options for images within a note

Fixes:

• Resolved a problem where stacks were not displayed in the Notebook list during searches
  • Addressed a conflict issue in Scratchpad
  • Fixed Tags sorting issues in the new UI

But: My first tests figured out that

• note list cannot be sorted by tags
  • (normal) note list cannot be sorted by Reminder Time
  • (normal) note list seems to be sortable by title - but does not sort in all cases (haven't found a surely reproducable case or reason)
  • (reminder) note list is sortable by Reminder times - but cannot show Reminder Done times
  • if you are on the reminder not list tab and run a Favorite search, EN10-App hangs and has to be restartet...

All these problems have been mentioned either here in forums or in support ticktes. It's a pity that they're not solved. But I'll wait for them patiently because I see that they are working not only on pricing and nice UI outfit gimmicks 🙏

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Jon/t said:

Just checked my free account and can't see the export notebook as PDF so I've left a message about it.

Can anyone with a Personal Plan check?

I'm on "personal".

So, it's just Evernote sending an update without any testing - again.

But nice to see there is at least something new on the way.

4 minutes ago, AlbertR said:

Ah - OK - sorry. But why do they offer a command that does nothing (without a message)?

It works for me. It opens the print dialog but points to a PDF printer. This is tested on my Personal account.

6 minutes ago, mackid1993 said:

It works for me. It opens the print dialog but points to a PDF printer. This is tested on my Personal account.

OK, retested: Now it works for me also (after several switches between accounts?) - on single notes. But not on notebooks. Here the command is not available.

3 minutes ago, AlbertR said:

OK, retested: Now it works for me also (after several switches between accounts?) - on single notes. But not on notebooks. Here the command is not available.

Yes that seems to be the issue. My guess is it's a server side rollout and it's happening in batches.

5 minutes ago, janndk said:

Wow - a new feature ....oh, wait, it doesn't work either 🤔

Just checked in my free account and this is working OK.  Try with a new PDF. I know the OCR stuff is only working with attachments going forward.

2 minutes ago, Jon/t said:

Just checked in my free account and this is working OK.  Try with a new PDF. I know the OCR stuff is only working with attachments going forward.

It was a new pdf. Anonymizing info has been an "image only" (not pdf) feature. And it still is.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Jon/t said:

I know the OCR stuff is only working with attachments going forward.

I'm confused by that part of the blog post. I was under the impression that OCR always worked on personal plans?

3 minutes ago, janndk said:

It was a new pdf. Anonymizing info has been an "image only" (not pdf) feature. And it still is.

Anonymizing is image only on all plans as far as I know... I'm mention this wording.

1 minute ago, Paul A. said:

I'm confused by that part of the blog post. I was under the impression that OCR always worked on personal plans?

I can't remember as I've only had the professional plan. Pretty sure you had to pay for OCR which is now on all plans but will only work for new docs added.

2 minutes ago, Jon/t said:

Anonymizing is image only on all plans as far as I know... I'm mention this wording.

Quoting myself here! You can still draw blocks over PDFs to anonymise.

3 minutes ago, Jon/t said:

I can't remember as I've only had the professional plan. Pretty sure you had to pay for OCR which is now on all plans but will only work for new docs added.

I had always thought it available on personal too, a little concerned the OCR I’m quite sure I had I no longer do. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Jon/t said:

Quoting myself here! You can still draw blocks over PDFs to anonymise.

Added blocks can be easily removed afterwards. It's not anonymizing.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, WilliamL said:

I had always thought it available on personal too, a little concerned the OCR I’m quite sure I had I no longer do. 

I think I worded that wrong. OCR will work as normal if you had it. For the free plan it will only work with notes going forward.

2 minutes ago, janndk said:

Added blocks can be easily removed afterwards. It's not anonymizing.

True. I'll mention the wording as the blur tool is not available for PDFs on the professional plan.

11 minutes ago, Paul A. said:

I noticed the same thing. I have been on personal for a while now and OCR as worked just fine.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Jon/t said:

I think I worded that wrong. OCR will work as normal if you had it. For the free plan it will only work with notes going forward.

I think they need to update the language on the blog post to reflect this as well, then. Also, if it works on personal, then upgrading to personal should OCR previously uploaded documents not just upgrading to professional.

This whole thing feels a little slapdash. Further evidence for my theory that they're more than a little distracted by their two huge new acquisitions this year.

image8.png.f372825ea6ccaeefde9e50733cbe0991.png

This would be useful ...if it would work properly 😒

Don't know how it goes in other language versions, but it messes up all Danish phone numbers. (area code + eight digits), and the error can't get corrected manually.

28 minutes ago, janndk said:

image8.png.f372825ea6ccaeefde9e50733cbe0991.png

This would be useful ...if it would work properly 😒

Don't know how it goes in other language versions, but it messes up all Danish phone numbers. (area code + eight digits), and the error can't get corrected manually.

It worked flawlessly when I used it in the uk, again on the personal plan tho, so I had that feature, not sure if I lost it granted as it was rarely used.

image9.png.5b6fac04a47c4756ac05fe44f4570f55.png

This used to be one of my favorite functions (back in "EN Legacy" days) - but after EN10 changed checkboxes to checklists, it has only a limited use.

Checklist items - checked and unchecked - converts to bullet points when sending a note as email.

I opened a ticket about a year ago. Haven't got any response yet. I guess they are busy.

image.png.c51ba3fad6d455bbf5a591790867e1eb.pngimage.png.0c3554a34d3daafaf68e9cee39f9e029.png

• Sad 3
  • Level 5
6 hours ago, janndk said:

"Fourteen of Evernote’s most powerful features are being made available for all users—free and paying alike."
https://evernote.com/blog/14-features-for-all

Just as a general comment on this, I'm glad to see it, as it makes the "free trial" subscription more truly a trial. People can create an account, start adding notes, and quickly find out all that they can do with them. Hopefully that will give a more accurate sense of what one gets with a subscription, and encourage some free users to subscribe. Of course, for those who only want very basic note functions, it will still be frustrating to hit the 50-note limit if they are unwilling to pay just to make more basic notes.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Just as a general comment on this, I'm glad to see it, as it makes the "free trial" subscription more truly a trial. People can create an account, start adding notes, and quickly find out all that they can do with them. Hopefully that will give a more accurate sense of what one gets with a subscription, and encourage some free users to subscribe. Of course, for those who only want very basic note functions, it will still be frustrating to hit the 50-note limit if they are unwilling to pay just to make more basic notes.

I fully agree. A good idea. But it's a pity that many of those features don't work.

I care less about features, but after uninstalling previous version with Revo uninstaller and installing this version solved my Evernote performance issues with keyboard imput not entering data 50% of cases to focused note. Previously Evernote would wait several seconds before outputting any keyboard chars into note or not outputting at all.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Federico Simionato said:

As for anonymizing PDFs, thank you for pointing out this inaccuracy, it was an oversight on our end. We'll update the original post to just say "PDF and image annotation".

Good to see you back in the forums. I'm still confused about the OCR section, I thought personal and professional had the same capabilities previously, so why does it say that it's formally professional?

"Document & image search (Formerly Professional)

Instantly find text in PDFs, word documents, images, presentations, and scanned documents. Learn more."

I also don't understand the technical restriction. Why is upgrading to Professional required and not to Personal? Why can Personal accounts only search documents from today onwards when I thought they could always search documents? 🤔

"Please note that due to technical restrictions, document & image search can only be applied retroactively to accounts that upgrade to Professional. Free and Personal accounts with new access to this feature will be able to search documents uploaded from today onwards."

an evernote image bug 10.76.2 .

images appear to be layered out to the entire page instead of the original image size  , making it impossible to put 2 images horizontally , very weird bug  , the image on web is adjusting to the screen leaving a lot of 'white space' .  

this bug is part of the most recent update evernote 10.76.2 . the prior versions do not have this image 'white space' issue 

This also make it difficult to enlarge or make smaller an image because of the 'whitespace' 

please fix this , this is a disaster 

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, dannydu said:

impossible to put 2 images horizontally

Don't think I've ever managed 2 images side by side without creating a table first...

2 hours ago, AdmiralP said:

Regarding the PDF annotation, the "blur" and "crop" options appear greyed out on my EN version 10.76.2 for Windows

-Just to be clear,  are you annotating a PDF that's still part of a note,  or have you exported it to a separate file?

38 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Don't think I've ever managed 2 images side by side without creating a table first...

Was easily done (without tables). Squeezing images down until they fit on the same row. I used to do it quite often.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

why would I put images in tables ? why should my image have such 'white space' and stretch all over the screen . it looks ridiculous , I want some images to be smaller than others as well , and adjusting image size is impossible now . also in some notes I have 50 images , so i should create 50 tables to do a 'work around' on this ? I have never seen this image issue in any note taking software 

this needs to be fixed ASAP 

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, dannydu said:

why would I put images in tables ?

This was (and is) an easy workaround to force images to be placed nicely in lines and|or colums along with some explaining text. If you place images within table cells, the image size is reduced to fit to the cell boundaries. But it was and is additional work to insert and size the tables...

1 hour ago, dannydu said:

I want some images to be smaller than others as well , and adjusting image size is impossible now

Legacy allowed to place images floating in text. That means that Images (and other attachments) could be placed on one line. See this example of a typical note of mine:

image.png.cd603aac00cbabdba1ea2b71a8adef01.png

To get this effect in EN10 you have to place the attachment and the image in a small 2-column table:

image.png.0e82a287d262b44b77e08fd4071ca900.png

This is a big disadvantage of EN10 for me because I've hundreds of notes with images and text side by side. If I open these in EN10, every attachment and every image gets an own line with dump white space around 😡

I want some images to be smaller than others as well , and adjusting image size is impossible now

EN decided for any reason to disallow resizing images for all kinds. It works for .PNG but not for .JPEG (IIRC) 😤

I have never seen this image issue in any note taking software

Me too... EN uses HTML to display notes - so this is a real pain: HTML supports all kinds of image postprecessing in size and positioning absolute and relative to text...

• Like 1

So just to clarify your comments , version 10.75 does not have this issue .

Firstly all my images are PNG and sizing images does not work for PNG as well , if you do 'note fit' and then 'optimize readability' then images appear in the correct size, but the note is not comfortable to read this way. 

in terms of adding tables this is not a proper workaround , evernote can easily fix this issue in a moment , I am using Evernote desktop older version and its works as usual. pressing on an image and seeing this 'white space' which does not reflect the 'real' image size as well is not esthetic.

evernote can fix this issue if more users flag it as a concern and not suggest workarounds :) 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, janndk said:

Was easily done (without tables). Squeezing images down until they fit on the same row. I used to do it quite often

Yep - easily done. I also did it quite often.

When 10.76.2 first came out, I commented on it and knew it was going to cause issues for many users: "This new feature was added at the expense of being able to have multiple images side by side (sans a table). So images that were once side by side will now appear vertically stacked. I'm sure it will break other people's notes as well."

We are going to see a lot more complaints coming in the forums because of it.

• Thanks 1

The way tables are implemented right now leaves you a huge white space at the bottom or the top of the cell when there is just an image in there unless you use this workaround: 

And then you are still left with the padding in each table cell, which is now a lot wider due to the new UI revamp.

• Thanks 1

Guys creating tables to put images is crazy , if you want to print the note , you get a table , if you want to email a note you get a table , if you want to migrate a note to a different software you might complicate the note.

the issue is esthetics , having bigger images than others in purpose to highlight more important ones than others , evernote can fix this issue 

and yes having a few images horizontally is cool when you read through a long note, its easier on the 'eyes' make you read the note quicker 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, dannydu said:

Guys creating tables to put images is crazy

Plus this looks terrible on mobile. It worked so awesome before -- looked good on Desktop and Web with a wider screen then wrapped nicely on mobile.

• Level 5
8 hours ago, dannydu said:

an evernote image bug 10.76.2 .

images appear to be layered out to the entire page instead of the original image size  , making it impossible to put 2 images horizontally , very weird bug  , the image on web is adjusting to the screen leaving a lot of 'white space' .  

this bug is part of the most recent update evernote 10.76.2 . the prior versions do not have this image 'white space' issue 

This also make it difficult to enlarge or make smaller an image because of the 'whitespace' 

please fix this , this is a disaster 

Back to your original question, this is literally not a bug but a feature--or at least a really badly thought-out way of implementing a feature. The new feature is the ability to align an image left, center, or right. (Release notes for 10.76.2: "Added alignment options for images within a note.") The implementation is to put each image in a kind of invisible note-width tray with slots for left, center, and right. I'm not a programmer, but it feels like an emergency hack created by someone who'd spent the workday playing Warcraft and only had 15 minutes left to finish this. And it messes up the use of images in exactly the way you and others are experiencing. I don't use many images in notes, and don't usually need to put more than one on a line, but a person certainly should be able to do it, and also be able to align them in some non-kludgy way.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*

Not arguing here,  but just to deal with "why would I use a table"? - I found it convenient to organise multiple images for things like user guides in one note - this is just a random one I found - because if you click on one to show it full screen,  you can then page through the rest in order.  userguide.thumb.jpg.3ee0ddd01c982ad1de579baf4c08d3fe.jpg

vďaka Dave, v tomto prípade môžeme len dúfať, že túto funkciu zvrátia alebo vyladia, keďže je to katastrofa, možno na to môžu pridať režim „vypnúť“

I do not think you will be pleased if I dare to say that it will stay that way.
I've tested several systems recently, I'm currently testing Notion, and in all of these systems it behaves exactly like this when there is an option to align left, centre or right. Nowhere do they have the option to put the images side by side at the same time.
It looks to me like in Evernote they are "submitting" to competing systems...

• Sad 1
1 hour ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Back to your original question, this is literally not a bug but a feature--or at least a really badly thought-out way of implementing a feature. The new feature is the ability to align an image left, center, or right. (Release notes for 10.76.2: "Added alignment options for images within a note.") The implementation is to put each image in a kind of invisible note-width tray with slots for left, center, and right. I'm not a programmer, but it feels like an emergency hack created by someone who'd spent the workday playing Warcraft and only had 15 minutes left to finish this. And it messes up the use of images in exactly the way you and others are experiencing. I don't use many images in notes, and don't usually need to put more than one on a line, but a person certainly should be able to do it, and also be able to align them in some non-kludgy way.

One feature forward, two features back. 

I wonder if it's something they even knew to consider. There aren't as many years of Evernote user experience on the dev team as there used to be so I wonder if they are surprised to find out that they break things that were used by a good number of people. 

Perhaps they can address this in a future release fix or perhaps the new implementation makes it difficult to account for it. 

• Like 2
  • Level 5
34 minutes ago, ferol said:

I do not think you will be pleased if I dare to say that it will stay that way.
I've tested several systems recently, I'm currently testing Notion, and in all of these systems it behaves exactly like this when there is an option to align left, centre or right. Nowhere do they have the option to put the images side by side at the same time.
It looks to me like in Evernote they are "submitting" to competing systems...

Thanks for this. I withdraw my comment about an emergency hack--like the new UI, this is an up-to-date, ultra-contemporary implementation of disastrously ill-considered design principles.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Respectfully, to all,

I've use EverNote for _15+_ years, most of those premium/professional and would like to put in my two cents here about this change. For me this is a another annoying, dis-improvement.

The inline and ACROSS lines, side-by-side ability was a distinguishing and very useful feature for me. Without it, I'm not sure how different EverNote really is from the competition. I've put up with its flaky and frequent crashes for its extensive functionality, but removing features like this so cavalierly and WITHOUT warning in the little notes that come with the updates, is frankly a bit disrespectful. Really what those messages SHOULD emphasize(WARN?) is any LOSS of function -- doesn't that makes sense?

I would not have done the update had I known. Such behavior is making me think of looking for something else, sadly, or determining if I really need to be at as high a subscription level as I am.

I've used small thumbnails, for example, to do 'virtual builds' of my astronomy rig setups, up to a dozen+ small images across. I've then printed these out to keep in the travel boxes for reference when in the field. I could redo the builds for calculating spacing quickly by dragging around the images. I guess now it's back to MsWORD, or Google Doc which don't synch as  to my laptop/desktop and web like EN, especially in the field without Cellular or Internet; What a time waste.

I tried to implement the 'table' work around and it failed miserably. Not to mention the incredible waste of time just doing ONE build line took! And it dld NOT look like it would format compactly for printing. I may actually have to just use paper cut outs!

Just one of the OLD multiple pages:

20240217_180538.thumb.jpg.56aea921499067dd343aa1b59255de61.jpg

I, again, respectfully,  would suggest implementing a NOTE by NOTE switch/option to turn back ON the old way of handling horizontal, inline IMAGES. I believe I've got dozens, if not a hundred notes affected by this disastrous change.

For the moment, I will just keep using my old print outs, but perhaps someone could tell me how to REVERT back to the previous EverNote version that supported horizontal inline images as I've shown in the attached image.

I do think it is time to down grade my wife's account since she isn't really using it. 

If this was done to be like other Note apps, than why should ANYONE use EverNote?

Cheers.

• Like 5

Regarding tables , firstly , thanks for the users who try to solve issues , for now this is truly the best workaround , however a huge pain for those who have 50-100 images in a note and have lots of notes , still think the old way is superior in terms of esthetics and layout , and actually image layout is one of the reasons moving out of evernote was a pain point for me and reading comments here , seems I am not the only one . 

Having a note with 100 images , in the new layout also makes the note so much longer and messy to read, and not all images are the same size which again esthetics makes the note look messy.

Maybe adding 'Margin layout' like in word can fix this , it will also optimize the note in way that when you print the note or export to 'pdf' there would be less 'white space' and empty pages. 

I guess things could be worse and images one day might not upload at all or disappear , but Obviously evernote can reverse this feature/improve it with margin features(better than inserting a table) , hopefully with more complaints they will.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
15 minutes ago, Hoss_Boss said:

Please fix the issue with the images! I used to be able to resize and place images side by side and now I can't. 

See the post immediately above yours.  We're mostly other users here - no control over default picture placement.

• Level 5
30 minutes ago, Hoss_Boss said:

Please fix the issue with the images! I used to be able to resize and place images side by side and now I can't. 

Take a look at this post and the following discussion in that thread--you're not alone:

On 2/17/2024 at 11:10 AM, gazumped said:

-Just to be clear,  are you annotating a PDF that's still part of a note,  or have you exported it to a separate file?

Regarding PDF annotation, in 10.76.2 (Windows), I have a note that has a PDF attached to it. When I select the "Edit & Annoitate" option from the embedded PDF, it gives me the EN annotation screen with the options for adding arrows, text, shapes and stamps, but the "blur" and crop options are greyed out 

Screenshot 2024-02-20 at 12.03.29 PM.png

• Level 5
On 2/19/2024 at 12:50 PM, JoanStarr said:

I would really like to be able to customize the width of a widget on my home page. It bugs me that I can only see 2 items in the Notes widget.

Screenshot 2024-02-19 095020.jpg

Hi, and welcome to the forums. Widgets can be sized narrow, medium, and wide. When I select Customize on the Home Screen and then hover the mouse over an existing widget, a little size selector comes up at the bottom of it with three options. Here it is, using the Scratchpad as an example:

image.png.fcde0ece5319cc052b3f1f1447ecf26e.png

On the subject of widgets, the option that I'd like to see in the Nores widget would be to display the noters as a list rather than the snippet view currently available. That would reuce the amount of scrolling necessary and nmake things a bit more productive.

On 2/14/2024 at 6:15 PM, Jon/t said:

I know the OCR stuff is only working with attachments going forward.

What am I missing??? PDF search has been present in Legacy for years, along with annotation and image OCR. 

Do I lose this after a downgrade to V10??? Do I have to ask BS politely to reinstate it for me? Ah, wait, I'm on 'personal', while sometimes it says 'premium'. 

"Document & image search (Formerly Professional)
Instantly find text in PDFs, word documents, images, presentations, and scanned documents. Learn more. 

Please note that due to technical restrictions, document & image search can only be applied retroactively to accounts that upgrade to Professional. Free and Personal accounts with new access to this feature will be able to search documents uploaded from today onwards."

???

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Feitz said:

What am I missing??? PDF search has been present in Legacy for years, along with annotation and image OCR. 

No. Free plans didn't have OCR, they now do but EN isn't going back through millions of attatchments already uploaded. If you paid then nothing changes.

6 minutes ago, Feitz said:

will test that

Seems to work, but found a host of 'unnamed attachments' from V10 PDF imports. NOTHING SEEMS TO WORK IN EVERNOTE V10 !!!

(I know we're all users here).

• Level 5

1) V10 is no downgrade - let us start with this. It is an upgrade to a modern software, for all coming from outdated, unsupported clients.

2) OCR has nothing to do with the client, it is a server side feature.

3) BS is wrong in telling OCR would be new to the Personal plan, or even to the Free plan.

In fact OCR of pictures (JPG, PNG, GIF) was part of all plans, including Free. OCR of PDFs was part of all subscriptions, except the Plus subscription. So picture OCR should be there for all notes, no matter when they were created. OCR of PDFs should be there for all notes of a user for all periods of time when they were subscribed at least to Premium.

4) Depending on when you installed v10, and if you ran the client for quite some time it may be that not all attachments are downloaded yet. This leads to "unnamed attachments"

2 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Depending on when you installed v10, and if you ran the client for quite some time it may be that not all attachments are downloaded yet. This leads to "unnamed attachments"

can't be, I added them in V10 on the client and they have propagated to the other devices.

3 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

V10 is no downgrade - let us start with this. It is an upgrade to a modern software, for all coming from outdated, unsupported clients.

As long as there are so many fundamental issues in V10  it is a downgrade in my book. What does it help to have a more modern software simply doesn't work as it should? I don't care for fancy stuff like tasks that are so limited in use and won't work properly anyway?

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
4 minutes ago, Feitz said:

so many fundamental issues in V10  it is a downgrade in my book

Did I miss a memo somewhere?  What 'fundamental issues' are we talking about exactly?

• Like 1
  • Level 5

@Feitz For me it works properly. End of the story.

I have stopped caring for those who decided to stick to legacy, and I have stopped caring if somebody comes here just to vent his frustration. Most of what causes frustration works nicely, but slightly different. Instead of coming here to ask and learn, users come from legacy expecting the new client must rotate around the axis of their outdated experience.

No, it's not, v10 has long surpassed legacy and is software in it's own right.

Learn, switch or perish.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, gazumped said:

What 'fundamental issues' are we talking about exactly?

mixing up edit dates, loosing attachments, loosing attachment extensions, no tags filter per notebook, cpu hogging, reformatting of notes (they might have been formatted in a certain way on purpose) etc. 

10 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Learn, switch or perish.

Another helpful advice. What does my alleged learning curve have to do with Evenote issues?

• Level 5

Just to count them down: It updates the changed date differently, no, no, better filters than legacy ever had, sign of a corrupted local database (fixable if one follows advise), standard formatting (it is not a word processor or layout tool).

Your basic assumption is that legacy has set an immutable standard, and every new client needs to follow this standard. Dead wrong - there never was "THE" legacy client, it was a hodgepodge of clients, different from each other between platforms and in parts not even consistent in how they handled things. It would have been impossible to follow this "standard", because parts of it were contradictory and not feature complete between platforms. I know, I used legacy on PC and Mac - what a chaos.

So they did what is the better solution: Start with a white blank, and design a new generation that is close enough to each old client that most things will work similar to before.

But as I said: Nobody forces you to like it, or even join.

Learn, switch or perish is a simple list of options left.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Instead of coming here to ask and learn, users come from legacy expecting the new client must rotate around the axis of their outdated experience.

OK, let's start and I will be glad to learn from your insight: 

- how can I prevent edit dates from being modified and ruining my timeline just by viewing it?

- how can I avoid loosing attachments during sync or whatever causes this?

- how do I avoid loosing file extensions randomly and prevent them from reappearing during sync after I added them manually?

- how can I view only tags relevant to a notebook (like in Legacy) instead of having to memorize each and every tag that I ever used in Evernotes? It is presenting a scrolling list only.

- How do I stopp EN from hogging my CPU (when everything is supposed to be hapening on the server anyway)?

- how do I prevent V10 from ruining the layout of my notes?

Just now, PinkElephant said:

fixable if one follows advise)

I assume the database has been redownloaded when I switched to Sonoma and V10 a couple of days ago (took ages to download and not due to a poor line on my side).

How long can I expect a perfectly fine database to go without corruption? In my view it should hold out a bit longer than just a week... 

3 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Dead wrong - there never was "THE" legacy client, it was a hodgepodge of clients

At least the Mac client worked fine for several years. Android legacy as well, as opposed to V10 android. Now the new versions both suck, at least they do it consistently, I'll give you that.

If you've just switched from Legacy to V10 all of your notes have to be reprocessed on the server side to be compatible with V10 as well as RTE. I'd suggest giving it some time before jumping to conclusions that it's broken.

The issues that you are seeing are likely a result of using legacy past its end of life.

This is why you are seeing issues with sync, which is fundamentally different in V10 and requires additional processing on the backend to work.

• Level 5
15 minutes ago, Feitz said:

OK, let's start and I will be glad to learn from your insight: 

- how can I prevent edit dates from being modified and ruining my timeline just by viewing it?

- how can I avoid loosing attachments during sync or whatever causes this?

- how do I avoid loosing file extensions randomly and prevent them from reappearing during sync after I added them manually?

- how can I view only tags relevant to a notebook (like in Legacy) instead of having to memorize each and every tag that I ever used in Evernotes? It is presenting a scrolling list only.

- How do I stopp EN from hogging my CPU (when everything is supposed to be hapening on the server anyway)?

- how do I prevent V10 from ruining the layout of my notes?

1) The "changing date when viewing" WAS a bug, and it is fixed if you use the current client versions. Beside this update strategy is different, accept it as it is

2) stop using any legacy version right now, and never return. The conversion of the data structure between old and new database is the number 1 driver for inconsistencies.

3) same answer as 2)

4) you can't (and you know this, and I don't care). There is a ton of new selections possible through CONTAINS.

5) If you mean THIS by "hogging", it is as it is (Screenshot taken right now on my Mac, EN open and running idle):

image.png.b4dafabec732d9ee39a78fb364b86221.png

6) you get a standard layout. Take it or leave it.

And again:

Learn, switch or perish.

You guys sticking with legacy have one major problem with all of your arguments: Millions of users switched, millions of users work with v10 since more than 3 years now . You have been sticking with your cozy old software, doing things the way you ever did.

Your leverage telling things must be different and one can't use them as in v10 is now ZERO. You are just too late to be able to credibly tell only your way works. I am convinced you need to take it now as it is, like it or not, or move to another platform.

As a hint: EN v10 may not be the same, but it is still closer than anything else to old EN clients. So you can learn (with relatively little effort), or you can switch (with a larger effort). Sticking with legacy will find you one day ramping it up, and be greeted by a "game over" message.

@PinkElephant On top of what you are saying, using old unpatched software that hasn't been supported in 3 plus years isn't great security practice either. These clients are ancient and likely have vulnerabilities that will never be patched. It's like people still running Windows 7 because it's comfortable and they like it, or that one guy who clings on to Vista for some strange reason.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Actually we have a Windows XP Pro install at the company where my current project is done. It is well shielded from all perils, only able to write and read to a folder on the server, the only connection out of the VLAN in which it lives.

With EN it is much more complicated: Being a cloud base software, it NEEDS an internet connection. This is insecure for most old OS versions. And it can't be secured, because the loopholes and cracks are there, and not patched. It is noticeable with Mac legacy on all newer MacOS versions: The client does not display properly any more, because Apple removed some old libraries use by the EN client 7.14. On Windows Microsoft is still trying to keep every bit of old code alive, putting their users data at risk.

I concur - legacy is a security risk by itself. For the client, but as well for the user data on the server.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Actually we have a Windows XP Pro install at the company where my current project is done. It is well shielded from all perils, only able to write and read to a folder on the server, the only connection out of the VLAN in which it lives.

With EN it is much more complicated: Being a cloud base software, it NEEDS an internet connection. This is insecure for most old OS versions. And it can't be secured, because the loopholes and cracks are there, and not patched. It is noticeable with Mac legacy on all newer MacOS versions: The client does not display properly any more, because Apple removed some old libraries use by the EN client 7.14. On Windows Microsoft is still trying to keep every bit of old code alive, putting their users data at risk.

I concur - legacy is a security risk by itself. For the client, but as well for the user data on the server.

Especially so given what many people choose to store in Evernote. It's an attractive target!

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, mackid1993 said:

Especially so given what many people choose to store in Evernote. It's an attractive target!

13 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

My macs are reasonably secure, but how could the type of client have any influence on vulnerabilities on the server?

Other than a secure password and two-way authentication there is little I can do on the client side. 

The risk is on the server side with unencrypted content.

And I'm currenty on the latest software on all active clients and the database is only a week old...

2 minutes ago, Feitz said:

My macs are reasonably secure, but how could the type of client have any influence on vulnerabilities on the server?

Other than a secure password and two-way authentication there is little I can do on the client side. 

The risk is on the server side with unencrypted content.

And I'm currenty on the latest software on all active clients and the database is only a week old...

Hence the problem. I'm sorry but I suggest you educate yourself a little more before coming on here and getting angry with other users. The issues you have are caused completely by using an unsupported client for a very long time while significant changes have been made to the data structures used in the current clients. 

Moreover, the content on the server is encrypted at rest and so is the connection between you and the server. 

My point has nothing to do with encryption, it has to do with unpatched and actively exploited vulnerabilities in an end of life piece of software that has been discontinued for several years putting both your machine and your data at risk.

You come in here very combative, yet have no clue that the problems you are having are caused by your own misuse.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Legacy needs to use the old API. That's the entrance to the server, and it is as old as the clients it is supporting.

If (!) there are vulnerabilities then this is more than negligent by BS / Evernote. Leaving a possible vulnerability unfixed just because the client is no longer developed is beyond careless.

As long as this API is available it has to be supported and secured. 

This is no client issue (like Windows XP) where I am responsible for my data. Evernote has allegedly hundreds of millions of user with a good portion of them probably still using Legacy, so they better make that API as secure as possible - even if that includes client side patches. 

6 minutes ago, Feitz said:

If (!) there are vulnerabilities then this is more than negligent by BS / Evernote. Leaving a possible vulnerability unfixed just because the client is no longer developed is beyond careless.

So Microsoft is negligent when vulnerabilities are found in Windows XP long after it's end of life date? Or the user is negligent for using such software! This is so much PEBKAC that I can't even argue with you anymore. I'm sorry but before you come on here and fight with people, learn how computers work.

7 minutes ago, mackid1993 said:

Hence the problem. I'm sorry but I suggest you educate yourself a little more before coming on here and getting angry with other users. The issues you have are caused completely by using an unsupported client for a very long time while significant changes have been made to the data structures used in the current clients. 

I am on V10 on all clients and although I am totally clueless I doubt the issues I have have anything to do with data structures, like the changed edit dates that have been an issue here on the forum for some time. 

Just now, Feitz said:

I am on V10 on all clients and although I am totally clueless I doubt the issues I have have anything to do with data structures, like the changed edit dates that have been an issue here on the forum for some time. 

In V10 the date updated is modified when the note is updated because it is the date the note is updated. The date created remains static. This would be one of those things that could have been answered by being less combative and asking.

2 minutes ago, mackid1993 said:

So Microsoft is negligent when vulnerabilities are found in Windows XP long after it's end of life date?

XP is my own responsibility, BS hosts lots of user data that it is responsible for, so this is not a good comparison. 

1 minute ago, Feitz said:

XP is my own responsibility, BS hosts lots of user data that it is responsible for, so this is not a good comparison. 

It's a very good comparison. It's an unsupported product. I'm certain the servers are patched. The clients however are not patched. It doesn't work the way you think it does. You are completely wrong about all of this. You were warned not to use these clients in 2021, now you are paying the price for continuing to use them.

• Like 1