New blog post: Evernote Free accounts will have fifty notes and one notebook

• Level 5

Mixing up a business and a charity, it seems. 

If millions of Free users (there are no „free subscribers“, subscribing means paying for a product or service) need to find another app, it’s up to them.

You either pay for a service if so required, or you need to find a permanent free offer. EN has decided that they won’t offer such a plan any more.

The current Free plan users could as well decide to subscribe. Up to everybody’s decision, nobody is forced. If subscribing is called expensive, and most free users decide to leave, it just proves that the „eternal“ Free plan was a failure as a marketing tool from the beginning.

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Mixing up a business and a charity, it seems. 

If millions of Free users (there are no „free subscribers“, subscribing means paying for a product or service) need to find another app, it’s up to them.

You either pay for a service if so required, or you need to find a permanent free offer. EN has decided that they won’t offer such a plan any more.

The current Free plan users could as well decide to subscribe. Up to everybody’s decision, nobody is forced. If subscribing is called expensive, and most free users decide to leave, it just proves that the „eternal“ Free plan was a failure as a marketing tool from the beginning.

In order to comment meaningfully on social media, one has to have some basic reading comprehension skills and knowledge of terminology.  Free membership has been a feature online since the early days of the Internet and is still continuing, as I showed before with some examples. Once you register for an app, you are a subscriber even if you have a free account as long as you keep on using it unless the terms of use change. When Web companies ask you to upgrade, that are never saying, "Please become a subscriber" because you already are. They are asking you to pay for an increased number of benefits that come with a paid subscription. Very rarely do they severely curtail your app's functionality as a free user and almost never do they seriously jack up the prices for paid ones. NEVER do they make upgrades seriously inconvenient in the largest potential market in the world by not accepting a major credit card used in that market or (God forbid) listing the offer in the major currency of that country and the globe. 

• Level 5

Mixing up a free user with those who paid for their use of the app may serve your intentions. It still is dead wrong, a stupid game of semantics.

A free user subscribed to nothing, he had no obligations, didn’t commit to anything. And obviously many of those expected others to foot the bill forever.

Good this is over ! 

• Like 2
40 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Mixing up a free user with those who paid for their use of the app may serve your intentions. It still is dead wrong, a stupid game of semantics.

A free user subscribed to nothing, he had no obligations, didn’t commit to anything. And obviously many of those expected others to foot the bill forever.

Good this is over ! 

You failed to refute (because you couldn't) my chief initial arguments about Bending Spoons' non-transparency vis-a-vis notifying free users about upcoming changes and the company's insufficient preparedness to meet the probable onslaught of upgraders from America. Therefore, you switched to my less important point of free users, about whom you seem to have an obsessive hatred. At this point, I will observe Mark Twain's advice and curtail this pointless exchange: "Never argue with an unreasonable person because he will drag you down to his own level and beat you with experience."

• Like 1

I've been an Evernote user since 2014. I have been a paid subscriber for the last seven years—the last two professional. I've yet to find anything better. I've got 18,000 notes. I've tried most of the competitors, and they all have their strengths, but I keep returning to EN. The real-time sync is the feature that will keep me. It's amazing. 

I'm currently experimenting with Apple Notes, and it's horrible. The sync is terrible. I have three different note counts for three devices. EN syncs in an instant. 

The free lunch is over. EN is not going to survive on free users. EN brings me value, and I'll gladly pay.

• Like 5
  • Level 5
On 12/13/2023 at 7:53 PM, Kristen Kelly said:

You made me cry!  I’ve used Evernote for more than 5 years. It’s become a daily component of my life. I use it to journal personal thoughts. I keep my grocery list in it. I make notes for the kids’ school work. I even make lists of what Christmas cookies I plan on making. So yes after years I have much more than 50 notes. I feel betrayed and that a huge part my life has been high jacked from me. I’ve been a loyal user for years. I’ve recommended it to so many people and family members. 

@Kristen Kelly in case you're still here, "we" here are not the ones having this effect. The forum is just other users. You can reach Evernote itself at feedback@evernote.com.

You've done a lot with Evernote over the years, and that's great. At the same time, please consider that all of that has cost someone else money. Evernote is a business with employees who need paychecks. They kindly offered a very generous free service for a long time, hoping that people who used it extensively for personal or professional purposes would see that they were getting something valuable and decide to pay for it. Lots of us did. Lots of you didn't. At some point, this becomes economically unsustainable for the business. "Loyal users" who recommend to their friends and family that they also use Evernote for free obviously have a limitation on their loyalty: it doesn't extend to paying for what they use. Loyalty from the business, it turns out, also bumps up against a limit at some point.

As a fellow user, I can tell you that I could feel a little betrayed by people who've been organizing their lives on my dime for years. I choose not to. I actually love the fact that this wonderful tool has been so useful for you, and I hope you might consider chipping in.

• Like 1

I can't understand how people rely so heavily on something that is free. If you aren't paying for it either you are the product or if in the case of Evernote where you aren't the product and it's just a great free service you run the risk of it going away or being limited as that free service begins to cost too much to run for free.

I can't wait for Notion to eliminate their free plan that way the people who are here complaining will start complaining about Notion and this forum can actually be a place to discuss Evernote rather than people with accounts with less than 10 posts to come in and complain that that they didn't have their notes deleted or access to their account restricted but simply can't make more notes unless they pay.

• Like 5
On 11/29/2023 at 3:04 PM, Jon/t said:

Yeah I think if you cancel or downgrade then nothings gets deleted or removed and folks can export when they want. Just can't add more. 

is there a way to export articles and files to another service?  I do not think so. Evernote has made this impossible to trap users in their system.  It's not worth 124/year but many of us are imprisoned in evernote with so much content that we do not want to lose.

17 minutes ago, justnewlistings said:

is there a way to export articles and files to another service?  I do not think so. Evernote has made this impossible to trap users in their system.  It's not worth 124/year but many of us are imprisoned in evernote with so much content that we do not want to lose.

There are absolutely other writing programs that can import ENEX files. Of the alternatives I've tried because this gross rugpulling makes Evernote unusable for me going foward, Joplin (which is open source and free) seems to be the frontrunner so far. I am also experimenting with a trial of Scrivener for my writing, but that can't import them, and is really a different kind of thing. None of the alternatives I've come across really do all the same things as Evernote, especially when it comes to the whole sync to multiple devices thing (Joplin can do it but requires you to bring your own syncing service, they do also offer one at thirty euros a year but can also use DropBox or OneDrive or the like, but they have no web client), so what you might want to go with depends on your use cases. But if your first priority is to get all your things out of Evernote into something else and figure out the rest later, then Joplin, Obsidian, and probably some others I haven't tested can do it the easiest.

33 minutes ago, justnewlistings said:

No. That's not true. You can right click on a notebook and export in different ways. A lot of other apps have import functionality as well.

• Like 1

from what I'm reading all over the place there is not good importing/exporting available.  There used to be an import tool in OneNote that was retired.  And work arounds such as Evernote2OneNote have problems with larger notebooks thanks to evernote.    Show me the great export funcationality related to another service.  When i right click a notebook I get this anyway.  Maybe I need to download the desktop app for it to be effective. trying now.

evernote export notebook.png

• Level 5*
Just now, justnewlistings said:

Maybe I need to download the desktop app for it to be effective. trying now.

Yes, you need the desktop app to export.  You have asked this question in three places.  For the benefit of others, please pick one and ask any follow up questions there.  I suggested options in one of your other threads.

And why does the help section of evernote on this topic not mention needing a desktop app? Nor anyone else for that matter?  sheesh.  First attempt to download evernote app from pc laptop just sends me to cloud/internet tab to use evernote.  is there a desktop program to download from within my evernote account?  This should be simple stuff no?

nvm.  After going to help and entering download desktop evernote or desktop app still NO answer.  finally after some scrolling on random evernote page found a download link.  This is a 100,000,000 company or something?  the customer service side is BS for $120/year.  I mean seriously pathetic stuff going on here.  it is what it is I guess.

• Level 5*

You may not be aware but Evernote was recently sold.  I’m guessing profitability was not there.  The new owners are trying to get this back on solid ground, hence the changes to the free program and the cost increase.  Online documentation is down level and their support system appears to be swamped.  That said, they are updating the software and fixing problems so I’ve signed up for another year to see where this goes. It is a big price increase and it is understandable if the value isn’t there for some and they want to move on.  There are numerous options out there, so decide what features are important to you, do your research and good luck with your decision. Whichever app you decide on, check out their export options.  Nothing is forever.

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, KennyMan666 said:

There are absolutely other writing programs that can import ENEX files. Of the alternatives I've tried because this gross rugpulling makes Evernote unusable for me going foward, Joplin (which is open source and free) seems to be the frontrunner so far. I am also experimenting with a trial of Scrivener for my writing, but that can't import them, and is really a different kind of thing. None of the alternatives I've come across really do all the same things as Evernote, especially when it comes to the whole sync to multiple devices thing (Joplin can do it but requires you to bring your own syncing service, they do also offer one at thirty euros a year but can also use DropBox or OneDrive or the like, but they have no web client), so what you might want to go with depends on your use cases. But if your first priority is to get all your things out of Evernote into something else and figure out the rest later, then Joplin, Obsidian, and probably some others I haven't tested can do it the easiest.

Don't mention FREE anything because you will incur the group think wrath and contempt of this forum's LV 5's. I've tried Joplin and One Note, but they are not a viable option for replacing Evernote unless you use them for basic note-taking purposes. I like the phrase you used for Bending Spoons' unprecedented action: gross rug-pulling.

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, biglarry5 said:

I've tried Joplin and One Note, but they are not a viable option for replacing Evernote unless you use them for basic note-taking purposes

I tried One Note a few years back and the import process failed miserably for me, plus I wasn’t a fan of the interface.  I don’t think there is an officially supported importer any more for One Note, yet others have reported migrating successfully to them so they found a way.  Many seem to be happy with Joplin.  I’ve not tried it so can’t comment.

You will see many different note app competitors mentioned here because there is no one perfect replacement for Evernote, but depending on how you use it and what is important to you, there are several good options out there.  We all have different use cases so you will need to do some testing to see what works best for you.

I’m a lvl 5 and don’t think I’ve beaten down any free users.  Please refrain from generalizations.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, justnewlistings said:

nvm.  After going to help and entering download desktop evernote or desktop app still NO answer.  finally after some scrolling on random evernote page found a download link.  This is a 100,000,000 company or something?  the customer service side is BS for $120/year.  I mean seriously pathetic stuff going on here.  it is what it is I guess.

The millions of free users who declined to subscribe to the very reasonable Plus plan are the real reason why subscribers need to pay such high prices now.  😞

• Like 2
1 minute ago, PinkElephant said:

Reddit - hmmm.

What do you expect ?

I wasn't even talking to this guy. I was have a constructive conversation with someone else. They just started replying to all of my posts in the middle of the night while I was sleeping just saying unhinged things.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
10 minutes ago, mackid1993 said:

Ironically this week I needed to move content at work from OneNote to EN and couldn't without legacy. It wasn't much so I moved what I needed manually.

Interesting.  I think there was another post recently suggesting there may be a difference in enex files between legacy and v10, but I don’t remember anything conclusive.

8 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

Interesting.  I think there was another post recently suggesting there may be a difference in enex files between legacy and v10, but I don’t remember anything conclusive.

I just didn't want to install legacy on a work computer, work is very cautious about software being patched.

• Like 1
On 12/16/2023 at 6:05 PM, biglarry5 said:

Hello, Newman! You are talking out of your nether ***** in an unsuccessful attempt to be funny and maybe suck up to Evernote. Who knows, maybe you are an employee with a vested interest too. I've had free Spotify with stationary ads for 10 years now. I just renewed VIPRE security for two years for about 50 bucks. I've had free Microsoft Outlook email for about 30 years. My chief complaint about the new system is the fact that its introduction was not transparent enough, i.e., free customers were not informed adequately about the new rules by repeated notifications. Only a management that has something to hide or is incompetent would expect most free subscribers to waste time on this website, which apparently contained the info about the change. Only a management that is incompetent would offer me, who lives in the U.S., to upgrade by paying in Indonesian rupees and now in euros instead of American dollars. I was ready to upgrade until I saw the new subscription price (about $120 per year)  - probably one of the highest prices of its kind in the Internet app world. Even if I eventually decide to upgrade, I won't even consider  it until the offer is in USD.

I wish a was on Evernote payroll but i am not.

I know enough about SAAS companies to know that they are not our friends. 

They care about ARR, MRR and growth. This is the end of a line. Many great products are killed because faulty business models.

The new management is moving fast because the company is on a leased time. I am betting Evernote got less than a year to make a buck before it resold again. It can be resold again even if they make a buck. But they might keep it. Right now the entire company's future is concentrated on one Excel sheet.

If you want stability and future, you should move to other app. I repeatedly suggested One Note due to my experience at work.

On 12/9/2023 at 11:17 AM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Hi Mitch, and welcome to the forums. To be clear, they are populated by other users, with very occasional threads started or responded to by Evernote staff. Bottom line, you won't reach Evernote's decent, sensitive people, or their heartless bean-counters, here. Best option is to email feedback@evernote.com.

That said, I agree with your overall point. The suggestion/request for a modestly priced, entry-level Evernote plan for people with limited incomes has been made in many posts in this and other threads. I'm retired too, fortunately in decent financial shape, but I know not everyone can handle an extra $10/month. I hope you'll email them at the address above, and that they'll hear from enough people to consider how to wedge in a bottom-dollar tier.

"Bottom line, you won't reach Evernote's decent, sensitive people, or their heartless bean-counters, here."

But you will meet some heartless LVL 5 users who act like wannabe bean-counters with their hateful harangues about free users. They seem to model themselves on the charitable personality of Elon Musk.

• Level 5

LOL

When they spread my subscription money for years at that bunch of ungrateful wannabe note heroes, I get very bean-counterish. Just need to read the usual comment here to know that every single dime was wasted.

I’m just sorry for those who really couldn’t afford a subscription. They get pushed off as well.

• Like 3

what a freaking disaster. when I import enex files into onenote the notebooks are emtpy. I'd pay someone $100 to get me set up in onenote/onedrive.  guess zoho note has an import feature is what I read with evernote.  I lost 3 hours on this and can tell I wont' get any further.  when I first tried to use evernote2onenote I had some success. but when I dtried to get it to sync to android onenote something got messed up. if there is any contractor that can help me.....

On 12/11/2023 at 5:40 AM, Franco Crocetta said:

Bending Spoons is known for buying struggling companies, augmenting their products with weekly/monthly subscriptions and driving them to death until the last drop of subscription money...writing was on the wall when they acquired Evernote. There are many alternatives on the market, I guess is time to look around.

As someone that might be living in Italy based on your name, do you know anything about Bending Spoons affiliations with the new ultra-right government of Meloni? Such businesses are well-known for their maximize-the-profits-at-all-cost and scr.w-the-little-guy philosophy, which goes well beyond the regular capitalist doctrines and ends up actually hurting their bottom line or even leading to their demise. Proper balance or the golden mean in everything is the recipe for success, which was known as far back as Aristotle.

38 minutes ago, mackid1993 said:

LOL, you'll also find a ton of trolls coming here to complain.

I haven't been to this site in years. I only came because of the new rules of the game - to get some info and express my complaints about the marketing incompetence of Bending Spoons even when I tried to sign up for a personal account. If that is trolling in your book, you need to look up the meaning of the word and stop sucking up to LVL 5's or the new ownership.

Edited by biglarry5
spelling
  • Like 2
Just now, biglarry5 said:

I haven't been to this site in years. I only came because of the new rules of the game - to get some info and express my complaints about the marketing incompetence of Bending Spoons even when I tried to sigh up for a personal account. If that is trolling in your book, you need to look up the meaning of the word and stop sucking up to LVL 5's or the new ownership.

No one is sucking up to anyone. Some of us are just super happy with Evernote, love the product and wish to have a normal constructive discussion about it. Send your complaint to feedback@evernote.com the forums should be for users to discuss Evernote and help one another. Venting here will do nothing but annoy people that have nothing to do with the decisions you are upset about.

I got called a "bootlicker" on Reddit because of my choice of productivity app. I don't understand what is wrong with people.

• Like 2

The app provided a one-time option to upgrade to Personal subscription for free.  But I usually just click pop-ups away and so now I can't get that offer back.  

I would recommend that Evernote provides the "Personal" upgrade deal a few times to users so that we can take advantage of a low-friction upgrade path and have more than 7 days to enable the choice we want.

Without that option, I am forced to use the app in a "Free" mode and I find it very limited and am unable to explore all the features of the tool.  I am thus moving all my content off the platform - choosing to export older content to PDF/GoogleDrive, and any active text content to Notion.AI or into Scrivener for authored content.

The biggest value for Evernote is that it is a very simple interface that allows sync across multiple devices.  So while other Apps allow me more sophisticated widgets, and some have better UI, Evernote is hands down, the best App I've used to capture my thoughts and real-time data creation anytime, anywhere and have access to that on any device.  

I do intend to continue using EN for my real-time data capture.  But need to evaluate at what subscription tier makes sense for this use case.  Any thoughts are welcome on this point.

6 minutes ago, mackid1993 said:

No one is sucking up to anyone. Some of us are just super happy with Evernote, love the product and wish to have a normal constructive discussion about it. Send your complaint to feedback@evernote.com the forums should be for users to discuss Evernote and help one another. Venting here will do nothing but annoy people that have nothing to do with the decisions you are upset about.

I got called a "bootlicker" on Reddit because of my choice of productivity app. I don't understand what is wrong with people.

You omitted the primary reason for my response - the fact that you wrongly called me a troll. How does that square with this site's avowed philosophy of keeping the dialogue nicey-nice? Secondly, there are tons of current and former Evernote users who feel the same way about the unprecedented trick Bending Spoons (BS for short) has pulled on them. You are bringing up unrelated material yourself because I never complained about Evernote the app but about its new ownership policies and inept marketing, affecting their bottom line and causing unnecessary annoyance with potential customers.

• Like 1

I'm a long time (freebie) Evernote user.  All of the note taking apps have moved to subscription.  I'm glad that Evernote is catching up to that, it has always brought a lot of value to me, and I'm happy to pay for whichever app provides the most value

Part of the value in a subscription App is the community of users. I'm really shocked to see the vitriol in this forum.  Yeah, I can see a bunch of freebie users getting wrapped up around losing a free lunch. But I'm more surprised to see the existing user base attack newbies.

Not a good signal for the community being fostered...

• Level 5*
26 minutes ago, biglarry5 said:

...tons of current and former Evernote users who feel the same way about the unprecedented trick Bending Spoons (BS for short) has pulled on on them.

Hmmnn.  I must have missed the memo on that one.  Where are all these offended users commenting again?  And what trick was that exactly?...

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Hmmnn.  I must have missed the memo on that one.  Where are all these offended users commenting again?  And what trick was that exactly?...

If you have to ask, you'll never know. And, if your post is not trolling, then you don't know or are pretending not to know what trolling is.

On 11/29/2023 at 2:39 PM, Latrellbelle said:

I've downloaded all daily notes going back to Mar 2023 and deleted them from the program; I have one notebook with 20 notes and it's still telling me to upgrade.  It has removed my shortcut for making templates and when I try to create a new note it still wants me to upgrade.  Is there a glitch.

Same. I had 119 notes. I deleted all but 43 of them. I still can't make a new note because it says I've reached my 50 note limit. I only have one notebook, synced it with my Mac, updated the app and I'm the only user. Nothing worked. 

2 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

The writing was on the wall for quite a while.

If EN would have been a stellar success , the owners wouldn't have sold the company. Basically everything should be expected to be questioned after such an acquisition .

It seems like it came down to poor management, giving too much away for free and charging too little for paid. Evernote started at a time before SAAS was really a thing, everything was either free and ad supported or freemium like Evernote. Now most services offer a trial and then it's paid.

Dear Evernote Developers

I have used Evernote for years. However, I use it infrequently. Maybe, once or twice a week. Sometimes less. It is a very well made tool. I've always used the free version because of my very light use, but now I'm being squeezed out by a pay wall. I have several notebooks and hundreds of saved notes over the years, but now I'm told I have a limit that I've already exceeded.

On top of that, before I discovered I'd been cut off. I was offered some discount. Obviously, I declined and went to add another note and learned that my limits were met. An issue that never existed before. To add salt to the wound that offer was now gone. I think that is a really rotten thing to do.

Understand, I'm not against paying some amount for an app like Evernote but the price is to much for my very limited use and forcing me out with newly created limits. I'll be forced to find another free or more affordable product. It took me years to collect what I have and now it's going to take me a long time to transfer everything over to another app. Your note taking app is no longer the "belle of the ball" so-to-speak.

I just wanted to bring this to your attention because I thought that was a very bad business decision for some users like myself and I'm sure there are others that don't use it a great deal, but may have stored a lot of things over time.

Sincerely, Thomas Person

• Like 2

Please could someone tell me how to export my notes. I have been a free user for a few years but am a light user. I was unaware of the change until I tried to add a note. I have tried deleting notes but I was still unable to edit, move, change or create notes without paying the subscription. I decided to export my notes but I can't find a way to do that now. I was unable to do it on the phone app or the web browser so I tried to open the Windows Evernote app on my pc but all I get is the pop up window that says I must upgrade to sync devices or disconnect all my devices. There is no cross in the corner to close the window. 

I then went back to the phone app to find that every time I try to open it I get this same window which I can't close so I can't even view my notes.

The Evernote website says:

In keeping with Evernote’s 3 Laws of Data Protection, and to ensure that you retain full ownership of your data, any Free user who currently has more than fifty notes and one notebook will still be able to view, edit, export, share, and delete existing notes and notebooks. 

This doesn't appear to be true as I can't access anything. I am being offered a 7 day free trial but I am worried about signing up to this is case EN continue to take payments after I cancel the subscription as, from what i have read here, it is impossible to get any support when this sort of thing happens.

Does anyone have any advice please regarding a way to export my files?  Some are important documents that I scanned into Evernote then shredded as I thought that EN was a trustworthy place to store them. 

Thank you.

• Level 5

There are always users who suffer when a decision is taken that changes a business model. However it seems the excessive share of Free users of the total usage was not sustainable any more.

Your notes are still there, waiting for export. Search for another tool that does what you need, and make the switch.

I find it extremely hard to believe that the limiting and price hiking was because free users used up too many resources and made it unsustainable. I exported all my notebooks, containing a total of almost 1200 notes made over the course of over ten years of use, and the total filesize of all of them was a whopping... 25 megabytes.

If it was really the case, then putting a lower limit on the allowed total space used would have been the answer, not the number of notes and notebooks.

• Level 5

You don’t need to be a believer - just follow the new rules, and that’s it.

If you managed to have 1.500 notes inside of 25MB, you didn’t go very far with your use case. But this is likely not typical for an average account, even on Free.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
12 hours ago, Thomas315 said:

I just wanted to bring this to your attention because I thought that was a very bad business decision for some users like myself and I'm sure there are others that don't use it a great deal, but may have stored a lot of things over time.

Welcome to the forums. These are almost entirely user-to-user, not a way to contact Evernote directly. For that, email feedback@evernote.com.

• Level 5
On 12/17/2023 at 2:35 PM, Adgie said:

I do intend to continue using EN for my real-time data capture.  But need to evaluate at what subscription tier makes sense for this use case.  Any thoughts are welcome on this point.

I suppose one way to decide would be to take out a Personal subscription on a monthly basis. After a couple of months, if you find that you're getting your money's worth out of it, you could bump up to yearly to save a little, assuming you could afford the yearly price all at once. If not, then a lower-cost service (which might not have all of Evernote's features) might make more sense. If you feel like you could use the more expansive, and expensive, features of Professional, then you could upgrade. Because everyone's way of using Evernote is so individual, trying out what works best for you is probably better than an abstract answer from someone else.

• Like 1

You are out of your god damn minds?   I've put up with broken software for well over a decade I gladly payed for over these years. You think my piles of notes are going to export cleanly into "my choice to leave to other software".  People are going to have piles of locked data and dataloss.  Oh yeah, I'm sure this will all export cleanly.  Back it up and have it butchered and landlocked.   As it stands, the product is so broken people are stuck resorting to the old version, because the old version's idea of "broken and unsupported" is safer to their data and workflow than the current versions  because there is no RELIABLE way to export that amount of data, while being able to keep track of what 56,000 notes are butchered, bricked, or flat out missing.  I've been an apologist for this bloatware for so long , happily muddling through all the workarounds because this is the system I entrenched myself into since 2009,  but this is glorified ransomware at this point.  

"the notes in your trash count toward the 50 note limit", LMAO.  This is coming from someone who has always paid.  The software and company has regressed, it should be BEGGING users to come back. Another perk of being a paid user is apparently not being notified of these little new changes.  This is highly alarming for premium users as well. Especially those of us with years of ongoing shared notebooks with other users I drug into this mess.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5

There are ways to export, and there are apps that import without an export. And the export from the app works as well, at least it always did when I tried.

But since you didn’t ask, but made a statement I only say: Your are wrong, that’s a fact.

About changes of the Free plan: Subscribers are not affected. If a subscriber wants to inform himself (for example before dropping his subscription), he finds all necessary information on the EN website.

• Like 1

I’m creating an account so I can reply to this thread. I use Evernote for the past few years, I’ve been using it to write my journals and more often to take notes of my business meetings. Today during our meeting, I tried to take notes again, only to see the ad keep popping out asking me to subscribe, didnt have time to read it during the meeting so I had to switch to iPhone’s notes. When I get back tonight and read the ad, can’t believe it says now I must subscribe to write more than 50 notes, I mean, I’m happy to pay like a dollar or two per month to support the startup, but not the entire $15 per month, after all there’s not much difference between iPhone’s notes and Evernote, I use Evernote for the idea that my notes can be kept forever, even though a few times, Evernote did lose everything I wrote on a note, and I had to pay once to get it back. Anyways, I think it’s a terrible idea that you just start to tell people they have to pay now, and there’s not even a tiered payment option, maybe you can do like $1, $5, $15, people using more feature will be willing to pay more. Too bad you are losing me as a customer unless you will start the tiered payment option right away, otherwise I’m moving back to iPhone’s notes. 

On 11/29/2023 at 9:04 PM, Jon/t said:

Yeah I think if you cancel or downgrade then nothings gets deleted or removed and folks can export when they want. Just can't add more. 

that's not quite right.

at the moment I can neither read nor edit or export my existing notes because I always get the message on all channels that I have reached my limit of synchronised devices and also the limit of possible deletions and would now have to pay to upgrade for at least 12 months. 

This is an absolute cheek and contradicts the company's own announcements in the blog entry dated 2023/11/29:

"In keeping with Evernote's 3 Laws of Data Protection, and to ensure that you retain full ownership of your data, any Free user who currently has more than fifty notes and one notebook will still be able to view, edit, export, share, and delete existing notes and notebooks." 

• Level 5

@bill77, thank you for stomping in here cursing at your fellow users. You have no idea how it brightens our day. If you'd care to actually curse at Evernote staff: feedback@evernote.com. Most of us here have left the old version in the dust months if not years ago. I know you will pity us for our stupidity, but we find that v. 10 works well for us, including doing a lot of things (e.g. backlinks) that the old version couldn't and can't. People who built precision workflows around things that only Legacy can do have problems with the new version, which is a shame. But for most users v. 10, after its ugly rollout, has improved and been superior for quite awhile.

• Like 5

@Thomas315, if you're still here... Given that you only have "hundreds of notes" and "several notebooks," you might be able to reorganize your account to comply with the new free use restrictions and continue to Evernote to meet your needs.  Whether as a permanent fix or a temporary way to buy time while you decide on an alternative, this might be an option.  

The approach would be to merge notes so that you have one single note for each general topic area (perhaps like you use notebooks now).  Then move those notes into the single notebook allowed to you.  You might be able to use tags as a further way to group and  identify notes.  With a relatively simple use case, using search and these tools available to you, I think you would likely still be able to find information you need without too much difficulty.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Vinnie

12 hours ago, tangtoni said:

I’m happy to pay like a dollar or two per month to support the startup, but not the entire $15 per month

I think it's probably easier to convert 1 free user (that is getting serious value out of Evernote) to $15 per month than it is to convert 15 free users (getting marginal use out of Evernote) to paying $1 per month. Plus it's probably just easier to manage.

Also, as a business, I'd guess they don't want any $1 per month lifelines for people already paying $15 per month. As a paying subscriber, I now know that it's keep paying or find something else -- dropping back to free or a cheaper plan for lighter use is not an option. Given those two options, I'm bound to subscribe for a year or two longer since I'm invested -- as long as the price doesn't get too unreasonable for me personally.

• Like 2

The tone of Top Users This Week could be better. 

It is very simple. Evernote was portrayed as a free-use service (100k notes) - unless you hit the monthly upload limit or needed the perks. This is how millions made a conscious decision to choose it over the alternatives. (Many gradually became paying customers.) 

Changing this so abruptly and significantly and causing considerable inconvenience to the dependent users who had ongoing projects/exams is not the best move, in my humble opinion. Over the years, I have inspired my colleagues and friends to use Evernote. The frustration I noticed in the recent discussions is evident.

My colleague gave an interesting analogy:

In the olden days, there were many kingdoms, and the monarchs (service providers) had much land (cloud). While all the monarchs tried their best to grow, there was one good king who offered people his land to build homes and conveyed that he would not charge for the land unless people wanted to construct a 100-foot-tall house. With these fair and transparent terms, this king became much loved all over the globe. Individuals loved it, businesses moved to his kingdom, and he started getting paid indirectly. The king's new finance minister thought that he needed more revenue and decided to cut the golden goose. One fine day, he declared overnight that the people would have to pay exorbitant amounts for the use of land - unless their house/factory/shop were less than 0.05 feet. Now, people have to decide whether to give in to the exorbitant demands, continue to use whatever they have built as is, or gradually move to kingdoms that better suit their situation. Most will quietly move out over time, including and especially the new paying users. The usually non-quiet ones might also avoid raising their voices out of fear of being called a freeloader.

P.S.: Before someone starts bashing me for using common sense, let me disclose that I have paid Evernote for three years. 

I am not a big business yet, so I might not qualify to comment on the decisions made by Evernote. However, with my little experience in software, I am sure I would not take the path that Evernote did if I had to remain the dominant player in the game.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

The Free goose never laid an egg, not a normal one, and for sure no golden.

Anybody could use the Free plan under the conditions given to it by the company, that's not the point.

What's the point for me is the position quite a couple (not all) Free users take as if a birth right was taken away. They are aggressive, use arguments that are so absurd and hair splitting that they really ask for not to be taken serious. Or confronted with their own nonsense - I am for sure guilty of this crime, no remorse.

Nobody has lost access to his notes, the argument of the poor student close to an examen is a non argument: He can use everything he has, no limits on this. He can even edit notes that are there, for example when prepping for the quizz.

If somebody urgently needs to add notes, anybody can subscribe for a month - it's less than a coffee to go per week. I don't think this is asking too much, even if on a tight budget.

About the intentions behind the move we all can only speculate. What's obvious is that EN in the future will be on a sound financial footing. Probably much less users than it had for a long time - but these users have their use cases, and they are able and willing to pay for the value they get. All the waste around it will be gone, which allows the company to focus on the best service they can achieve (IMHO way to go if this is the goal, just to mention).

Those who leave find enough alternatives, they just need to move out of their comfort zone. It doesn't matter if that move would have be announced way ahead, or executed the way it was done now. It's over when it's over.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, TomDickHarry said:

It is very simple. Evernote was portrayed as a free-use service (100k notes) - unless you hit the monthly upload limit or needed the perks. This is how millions made a conscious decision to choose it over the alternatives.

No argument from me on this.  I agree.  IMO there has been way too much free user bashing going on.  I think in most cases the intent is to bash the free plan loss whining and I'm on board with that, but some of the feedback seems to be aimed at those using a program that Evernote encouraged.  That is on Evernote and not the users.

(Many gradually became paying customers.) 

I'd suggest not enough became paying customers and that is why we are see the plan change now.  IMO it should have been done much sooner.  I have never been thrilled about subsidizing free users.

Changing this so abruptly and significantly and causing considerable inconvenience to the dependent users who had ongoing projects/exams is not the best move, in my humble opinion.

Communication of this change was awful, agreed.  I don't understand why they just sprung it on everyone.  At least 30 days should have been provided.

Over the years, I have inspired my colleagues and friends to use Evernote

Many mention this and I'm not implying this was true for you, but I think the conversation was usually along the lines of "Hey, I found this great free app!  You should give it a try."

• Like 4

I've started the migration, to Obsidian.

Yeah I might be able to get by with 50 notes -- I have way more than 50 -- but it's also possible that in a year or even sooner, they will reduce the number of free notes even further.

Since I wasn't going to pay $130 or $180, might as well jump now.

EN has been a great tool, made me aware of something that I didn't consider before I discovered EN, which was to have searchable, taggable notes which could have embedded graphics or photos and available on both your mobile devices as well as desktop.

Hopefully Obsidian will be a useful alternative.  Maybe it will also have restrictions on free accounts but for now it will have to do.

Good luck to other EN users.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
5 minutes ago, hyyen said:

Yeah I might be able to get by with 50 notes -- I have way more than 50 -- but it's also possible that in a year or even sooner, they will reduce the number of free notes even further.

Since I wasn't going to pay $130 or $180, might as well jump now.

Good plan.  I don't see the current free plan as being useful for anything other than a trial for new folks, or an archive for current.

Obsidian is a solid choice and is one of my plan B options.  Good luck with the migration.

• Like 1

A few people have raised this question, but so far nobody has answered it:

How does one export one's notebooks from Evernote if one is using the Web version.  There seems to be a method if you have the desktop versions.  But Evernote's 3 Laws of Data Protection indicate that all Evernote users have the ability to export all of their data, not just some of them.  

With the recent service restrictions, free users can't add a new platform (i.e., a desktop version) to their account.  

Is there a way to export data from the Web version without taking a subscription, and if so, what is it?

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, crcurrie said:

How does one export one's notebooks from Evernote if one is using the Web version.  There seems to be a method if you have the desktop versions.  But Evernote's 3 Laws of Data Protection indicate that all Evernote users have the ability to export all of their data, not just some of them.  

With the recent service restrictions, free users can't add a new platform (i.e., a desktop version) to their account.  

Is there a way to export data from the Web version without taking a subscription, and if so, what is it?

A desktop version is required.  If you don't have a desktop version already as one of your two devices, you need to reduce your number of devices to 1 and then load the desktop version.  Or sign up for one month if you don't want to deal with removing devices.

8 minutes ago, crcurrie said:

That isn't possible in the web client. Unsync some devices and install the desktop client and export your data.

I am in tears at what Evernote has done across us with this draconian restriction to the Free version let me explain why.

I am an Evernote Premium subscriber and have been using Evenote for 9 years as a paid loyal subscriber. Many times I have suggested to Evernote that they introduce a family subscription limited to 4-5 users, Every time, I have been ignored.

I have a disabled daughter and my Wife, Daughter and I have been using my Premium Subscription and my wife and daughters free versions, to research my daughters dreadful illness to try to find a cure for my daughter. Evernote has been essential and since my wife is retired and my daughter undable to work, the free version has been essential to us. At a stroke, Evernote has hamstrung my wives and my daughters copies and my daughter can no longer add notes about her illness to her copy. She is inconsolable and in great distress. What angers me most about Evernotes unforewarned descision is that any stress greatly exacerbates her condition. You have literally made her condition worse.

Now lets look at the price hike. I quite understand why you are passing the costs of implementing AI on to users, fair enough, but lets talk about "Value for money". For the same annual price as a buggy, slow version of Evernote, with dreadful customer support and a help system that has never, once, come up with an answer to any of my questions, I get, from Microsoft,

Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Access, Outlook, One Drive, Teams and One Note,  Sharing with five members of my family and one Terabyte of Data for EACH of my shared family members. Oh and AI as well! All for the SAME annual price as Evernote. And GREAT customer support!

I ask myself why on earth should I continue to subscribe to Evernote at the new price?

It seems to me that they on on a Corporate Rollercoaster to Oblivion. Unless someone at the new owners, with a scintilla of intelligence, actually begins to address the Real World problems of using Evernote.

They could start by actually publishing how to contact their Complaints Department. So far I can find no way to contact a real human being at Evernote to compain. Unless you all know of a way!

I'm mad as a bagfull of wasps over this. And next years renewal, which they won't catch me out by billing me early, like they did this year, will NOT be happening.

Disgusted,

Peter Creed

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, PeterCreed said:

Many times I have suggested to Evernote that they introduce a family subscription limited to 4-5 users, Every time, I have been ignored.

Hi.  I'm sorry that in your unusual circumstances this change has caused so much grief.  However things may not be as bad as you imagine,  and your assumption that Evernote is making users pay for their AI service is just plain wrong.  Let me explain...

1. Evernote has not increased its subscription for several years,  so it needs to catch up with inflation - which is currently pretty high - in order to stay in business.
  2. The 'Free' account has been used to run businesses,  support studies and generally collect useful information to the extent that some users have thousands of notes and hundreds of notebooks.  It was never intended to be so intensively exploited - and such use costs the company a huge amount in time and use of facilities.  Some measures were taken to restrict users,  but they weren't effective.  No company can continue to give away a substantial part if its income.  I don't know any actual figures,  but I'd guess it was a significant percentage.  Hence the much more draconian changes now.
  3. Free account users with more than 50 notes still have access to those notes,  subject to the existing 2 device limit.
  4. Subscribers can share notebooks with free users and also share their much higher limits - although I understand that free users still can't create new notes,  they can edit existing ones;  so your sharing a notebook with them containing 100 blank notes (forinstance) should be possible,  and the 'free' user (or users) should then have access to edit those blank notes.
  5. It is also possible to export notes to ENEX files from the desktop app,  and your family could clear out their limited accounts into separate notebooks on your own account so that they have 'empty' accounts and can resume use within the 50-note limit.

I hope this goes some way to alleviating your concerns - if you need more help with sharing or exporting,  please let us know...

If you still wish to contact Evernote your own account should have a Feedback option in the mobile app settings,  and you contact them via https://help.evernote.com/hc/requests/new although given the recent changes and the holiday season I'd assume it will be next year before you hear anything back...

• Like 1

12/12/23 My free Evernote just stopped working and is demanding that I pay $130.00 per year if I want to use it. I am retired and just use it to file notes and occasionally a photo. I don't need or want all the extra bells and whistles. It has been working fine up till now. Has anyone migrated there Evernote to OneNote.
When I set up my Free account it said nothing about 50 note limit which I am way over.
Basically I would just like to migrate my notes in EverNote free to Onenote.
Thanks for the help.

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, Bill W said:

demanding that I pay $130.00 per year if I want to use it.

Actually it's not - it offers you upgrade options that (usually) include a first-year discount.  Be careful you don't lock the account by using too many devices to access it - you have a limit of two.  Disconnect everything but one device - preferably your desktop or laptop - and export your notes as here.  It may be worth checking out OneNote to see if they can import your  notes directly - I know some other services do.

Export notes and notebooks as ENEX or HTML

• Level 5*
8 minutes ago, Bill W said:

12/12/23 My free Evernote just stopped working and is demanding that I pay $130.00 per year if I want to use it. I am retired and just use it to file notes and occasionally a photo. I don't need or want all the extra bells and whistles. It has been working fine up till now. Has anyone migrated there Evernote to OneNote.
When I set up my Free account it said nothing about 50 note limit which I am way over.
Basically I would just like to migrate my notes in EverNote free to Onenote.
Thanks for the help.

It does sound like that Evernote, and especially at the new price, is overkill for your needs.  OneNote is one of the trickier apps to migrate to.  That is on Microsoft for not having an official enex importer. I've not tried it but others have recommended https://www.wikihow.com/Migrate-from-Evernote-to-OneNote

If that doesn't work out there are numerous other apps that will import the Evernote enex files. 

• Like 1

Please forgive me if these questions has been answered - searched through this topic and could not find an answer!

For many reasons, I am jumping ship on Evernote after using it for years. My question is what happens to my existing notes, literally thousands of them, once I pull the plug? 

• Will Evernote delete all notes except for fifty within one folder, or block me from entering new notes? The latter sounds fair, deleting notes of legacy users seems crazy and immoral, like a form of blackmail to hold on to paying subscribers
  • If the plan is to stop legacy users from accessing old notes is there a way to export them to a file? Or will it be possible to disconnect syncing and keep the archived database on your computer(s)
  • Anything else I can use? 

I am sad to leave, as no alternate program works as well for me. However, the following issues are causing me to leave after being a loyal customer - 

• Inability to toggle autocorrect on and off. I have depended on autocorrect and have continued to use the legacy version, which is no longer possible
  • Rising cost for subscribing. This wouldn't bother me as much if the program hadn't lost some functions that are vital for me
  • Evernotes' lack of response to users who have asked about loss of functions such as autocorrect. I still don't understand why it was discontinued from program when this function is embedded in the Mac OS
  • Fears that Evernote will fail as a company, as some have claimed. 
  • Level 5*
23 minutes ago, curry.jm said:

Will Evernote delete all notes except for fifty within one folder, or block me from entering new notes?

Evernote will not delete any notes.  You can view, edit and export them.  You only cannot add beyond the fifty.

• Like 1
On 12/5/2023 at 4:44 PM, mackid1993 said:

Evernote is still a subsidiary and is still being managed in a different way.

Everspoons has updated the website. Before it was "About Us (Bending Spoons)", now it's very clear: "About Bending Spoons". Not a separate subsidiary, as far I can see.

image.png.80d77f0715459c2c4e042237bec8026a.png

1 minute ago, janndk said:

Everspoons has updated the website. Before it was "About Us (Bending Spoons)", now it's very clear: "About Bending Spoons". Not a separate subsidiary, as far I can see.

image.png.80d77f0715459c2c4e042237bec8026a.png

It also says Copyright 2023 Evernote Corporation. That would be a subsidiary of Bending Spoons. 

Without any warning, I'm suddenly limited to 50 notes and have to come here to find out what is happening. I am okay with paying, but $130/year to keep shopping lists?

There needs to be an intermediate plan where you can keep a couple of hundred simple notes synced across maybe 5 devices for $30/year.

I'll be migrating to Google Keep.

32 minutes ago, paulj1x said:

Without any warning, I'm suddenly limited to 50 notes and have to come here to find out what is happening. I am okay with paying, but $130/year to keep shopping lists?

There needs to be an intermediate plan where you can keep a couple of hundred simple notes synced across maybe 5 devices for $30/year.

I'll be migrating to Google Keep.

Your "intermediate plan", which was formerly known as the Plus plan, existed for years with the hope that all users would contribute a little bit. Unfortunately, not enough users subscribed to the plan, which caused a dead price spiral that was now paid by a minority of subscribers to cover the costs for all free users. 

EN is currently facing a dilemma. If they provide a reduced price plan, there is a possibility that current subscribers will downgrade to the cheaper plan and not enough free users will subscribe...

• Like 3
  • Level 5
19 minutes ago, eric99 said:

Your "intermediate plan", which was formerly known as the Plus plan, existed for years with the hope that all users would contribute a little bit. Unfortunately, not enough users subscribed to the plan, which caused a dead price spiral that was now paid by a minority of subscribers to cover the costs for all free users. 

EN is currently facing a dilemma. If they provide a reduced price plan, there is a possibility that current subscribers will downgrade to the cheaper plan and not enough free users will subscribe...

I've been in favor of a lower priced plan for more casual users, and you're right that in the past free users with generous terms have not felt any incentive to choose such a plan. Now some are requesting it, though, which suggests to me that perhaps the new extreme limitation of the Free plan might be enough at last to motivate people off of it and onto a low-tier paid plan. But the lure of the free lunch and the skill of people at maneuvering within it may be limitless.

• Like 3
  • Level 5*
51 minutes ago, eric99 said:

If this is the case it might say the price point of EN isn't quite in the sweet spot. 

How one finds that spot is a mystery to me.  Folks always want to pay less but where's that I'm happy to pay it amount that attracts the most traffic.  Or maybe it is multiple spots, heavy and light users.  Sweet mysteries of life.

• Like 1

For the record - in the help articles it is not clear that the Export function only works on the desktop app, not the desktop browser.  I thought it wasn't working and was freaking out!  I need to get off the platform.  I have 1.2k notes and I only had these options on the desktop browser, for each notebook

image.png

I would pay a one off fee to get my data out of Evernote and into a new place like Google Keep if that is what it takes.   I have now exported everything, but it is in a very clunky format and I will be doing many hours of cut & paste to rearrange everything. 

• Level 5*

What device are you on and what version are you using?  You can only export from a desktop version.  Your picture looks like it is from a desktop version but below the Add to Stack there should be a horizontal line and then the option Export notebook...  Alternatively, in the left hand pane, if you right mouse button on a notebook name you should see the following menu with Export notebook... at the bottom.

image.png.61b8f563adc02f09eefe6c3f4061c0d5.png

Hi @gazumped.  Thanks very much for replying but I fear that you've missed the point! You quoted the salient point in my post but did not actually address it. Clearly Evernote has decided that it must leverage it's free users but it's done this by driving them away, not drawing them in!

My point is that if they introduced a family subscription like Microsoft did, then they would a) Increase their Advocate Base b) Retain paying subscribers like myself who are about to ditch Evernote after many years. c) Increase their revenue from the family subscription. (I can't imagine that a father/ husband/ parent, who is a paid subscriber has not got family members on the free version who would benefit from a paid family subscription).

Evernote is a peerless tool, I've been a user for 9 years, but Evernote are really missing a trick here. Give us a family subscription at a reasonable price and I'd happily pay for it. One Note is poor in comparison as a research tool and I won't be comfortable with it but needs must, as I already pay for it I might as well save £79.99 a year and use it.

I have already ported all my Evernote Contents over to Joplin and set up a server to share it with my family so Evernotes days really are numbered, in this family at least, so Evernote is potentially losing many future years subscriptions from my family and in my book, that "ain't good business".

• Like 1
  • Level 5

It is quite easy to set up a family group with free users around a paid account. It’s more limited now than it used to be, but still possible. Notes created and then shared from the paid account don’t count against the Free limit.

But if you want several users with a full account each, it gets very close to a Teams account. And these have a quite different price point from what you imagine.

Hi @KennyMan666, I totally endorse your comments about backing up your ENEX files to Joplin. I started porting all my Evernote content over to Joplin about two months ago and will continue now to mirror new Evernote content into my copy of Joplin. It's a very prudent thing to do to have all of your Evernotes backed up locally in a program that looks and works like Evernote. After all Evernote seems to be struggling with it's business model and we all know the previous owners were on a knife edge too. I fully welcome the new owners efforts to improve Evernote still further but Evernote have consistently ignored my suggestions to introduce a family subscription at a reasonable price. Many fathers who have spent their working lives using Evernote, will recommend Evernote to their children as they go through school and on to University. A family subscription would enable families to send their kids off to Uni already fully experienced in a research tool that will straight away put them ahead of their peers.

Evernote your thinking is short term profit. Start to think long -term! Give us a Family Subscription! Think about the recommendations from all those kids going on to University!

• Like 1

I am extremely pissed off about this, I couldn’t be angrier. This is a classic bait and switch. Now I have to export years of university notes elsewhere manually or give in to the blackmail of 100€ p.m.

I hope they go bankrupt over this move. Merry Christmas 

• Level 5
On 12/23/2023 at 3:27 AM, PeterCreed said:

Evernote your thinking is short term profit. Start to think long -term! Give us a Family Subscription! Think about the recommendations from all those kids going on to University!

As mentioned earlier, Evernote is not here to address directly. You can email feedback@evernote.com.

• Like 1

I've been using Evernote for years. Just got used to it and have a lot of information in there. BUT I CAN'T PAY A SUBSCRIPTION, and in my opinion it's not fair, or elegant or even it shouldn't be legal to change their policies in such an agressive way to push clients to pay for a subscription. If Evernote company can do this, what will they do next?? Raise the subscription price to 300?? They are playing with people's time and effort. Of course, they are going to lose lots of clients here, starting with myself. Looking for a non-agressive-profit alternative to Evernote NOW.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
54 minutes ago, Hossbie said:

I've been using Evernote for years. Just got used to it and have a lot of information in there. BUT I CAN'T PAY A SUBSCRIPTION, and in my opinion it's not fair, or elegant or even it shouldn't be legal to change their policies in such an agressive way to push clients to pay for a subscription. If Evernote company can do this, what will they do next?? Raise the subscription price to 300?? They are playing with people's time and effort. Of course, they are going to lose lots of clients here, starting with myself. Looking for a non-agressive-profit alternative to Evernote NOW.

Hi.  You're using a FREE SERVICE and while I sympathise with the situation,  you have no contract with Evernote and (AFAIK) no legal rights to expect anything.  You DO have the right to abandon something and move elsewhere if you wish - see websites like https://noteapps.info or https://toolfinder.co for options.

• Like 2