New blog post: Evernote Free accounts will have fifty notes and one notebook

4 hours ago, Annika K said:

I just want the removal of the limits and slightly higher note size and upload limit for those that need those features more than I do. I really hope this gets rectified and a lower price tier is added. But until then its a saddened farewell to an app that's been my companion for over 7 years of my life... :(

I have similar experience using EN - for 9 years - and all this time the free plan was enough for me. I don't need more devices to sync or download limit or note size limit or setting the dashboard and so on. I need just a service for text creation, editing and organizing notes. So I was happy with EN and that sudden tariff change was a complete surprise for me. I don't see the point in paying current price for Personal. Apparently I have to move all my content created over 9 years from EN - that includes >40 notebooks and >2000 notes. 😢

• Like 2
  • Level 5
2 hours ago, Sungreen said:

Apparently I have to move all my content created over 9 years from EN - that includes >40 notebooks and >2000 notes. 😢

That’s an absolutely serious use that has nothing to do with a Free model any more. Yes, it was possible under the old use model, but I am pretty sure it was never intended.

I think it’s conclusive that this sort of use case will be eliminated by the new rules.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, janndk said:

They are both co-founders of Bending Spoons, and it's quite clearly stated everywhere that Evernote is owned by and a part of Bending Spoons. So it would be reasonable to assume that Evernote will follow Bending Spoons' common core values and practices.

Evernote is still a subsidiary and is still being managed in a different way.

Just now, Boot17 said:

How could you possibly know that?

It's clear based on the way they manage their mobile apps vs the way they are running Evernote. It was their largest acquisition and clearly it's being treated differently. The BS CEO is also a dedicated EN user which is one of the reasons they purchased it. They clearly don't want to ruin the product as they are users themselves.

6 minutes ago, mackid1993 said:

It's clear based on the way they manage their mobile apps vs the way they are running Evernote. It was their largest acquisition and clearly it's being treated differently. The BS CEO is also a dedicated EN user which is one of the reasons they purchased it. They clearly don't want to ruin the product as they are users themselves.

Clearly your opinion and not fact mingled with some facts.

• Haha 2
31 minutes ago, mackid1993 said:

So much pessimism and distrust in here. @Federico Simionato has been incredibly transparent with their intentions for the product.

I'm not doubting Bending Spoons or Federico. I'm doubting that you know how Evernote is being managed.

Also -- what does your screenshot have to do with a new Editor. Nothing in that screenshot looks new. (Edit -- nothing in that screenshot was new -- just a nice bit of misdirection. Bravo.)

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Boot17 said:

I'm not doubting Bending Spoons or Federico. I'm doubting that you know how Evernote is being managed.

Also -- what does your screenshot have to do with a new Editor. Nothing in that screenshot looks new.

I got a prompt to give feedback regarding the new editor, believe me it's a new editor. It must be a staged rollout.

• Like 1
17 minutos atrás, mackid1993 disse:

So much pessimism and distrust in here. @Federico Simionato has been incredibly transparent with their intentions for the product.

Hey we just got a new note editor today!

I'm not being pessimistic; it's the reality! There's no more transparency in support. Frederico mentioned that a feature would be reintroduced, and so far, nothing, even after several updates. You provide details with screenshots, app logs, and the support simply responds that it can't be resolved 'without more details.' Is all of this pessimism, or are you just being a yes-man?!

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

This is going wildly off topic folks - please start another thread if you want to continue.  While all of us are entitled to our outlook and opinion,  it's not really useful to exercise them here - we'll find out what Evernote is doing when they get good and ready to tell us.

I think the current lack of transparency is because everyone is maxed out fixing things - what say we let them get on with it and just get back to making best use of what we have?

• Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, gazumped said:

This is going wildly off topic folks - please start another thread if you want to continue.

start a new thread... if anyone wants to continue with the new Editor bit right? Still free to continue for the new fifty notes limitation announcement?

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, Boot17 said:

start a new thread... if anyone wants to continue with the new Editor bit right? Still free to continue for the new fifty notes limitation announcement?

The last dozen posts have been more about transparency and stuff none of us have any actual information about than anything else..  can't we all just be friends? (that's a Jack Nickolson reference from Mars Attacks for anyone in doubt...)

C'mon - the rules are:  asking for help = good.  Giving help = good.   Existential discussions about the charitableness or otherwise of a commercial organisation = boring.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5

@Annika K, welcome to the forums. This is an especially busy thread. I just wanted to reply briefly on a couple of points. I'm a longtime paying user -- I started for free, but quickly found that Evernote was providing me value, and I felt that I should pay for the value I was getting, even if I didn't use every feature. But I agree with you that there should be a low-feature, low-price "budget" tier, for people whose financial lives are not yet booming and for those whose are no longer booming. If the features are low enough, I think there's money (small money) to be made there.

I hope you'll pardon a bit of gentle pushback, though. I've seen a lot of "if only they'd add this I'd pay" forum posts. I've never seen one that said "they added this so I paid." There's always a reason for one more free lunch. Only reducing the lunch to airplane pretzels will get people to reach for their credit cards. But yeah, the lunches don't have to be only Business and First, there could be Coach.

Thirdly, I'd suggest that if you're writing things that include multiple chapters and a lot of other organizing, Evernote may not actually be the perfect tool for you. There are dedicated tools for creating work that involves research, organizing, writing, chaptering, etc. Evernote is very multifunctional, but past a certain point of specialization, you find the limits. (Coders constantly complain that it doesn't offer syntax highlighting.) I recommended to another writer here recently that they might take a look at Scrivener -- purpose-built for writers, very sophisticated, and while not free, not a subscription, just an old-fashioned one-off purchase.

EDIT: I should have added that Scrivener is not cross-platform syncable like Evernote; and there is no Android version.

• Like 7

I wanted to raise my disappointment.  I have been a user of the free tier as this was the best at the time to provide a quick note taking.   I don't feel the features added were of interest that I would pay for it.  To be fair to evernote, there are no adverts to fund their development.   

I will be curious to read their Yearly reports to see what is the conversion rate. 

As to me, I'll stop using evernote.  I have 462 notes I need to transfer elsewhere - or delete.  

And as other people mentioned, I just noticed this from an email today, about the end of the service Yesterday. 

All the best to the evernote team!

• Like 1

My lunch costs me EUR 8 a day. That lunch serves me for about half a day...

Evernote serves me several hours a day for at least 25 days a month...And it costs me about the same as that lunch.

By the way, I've been paying for two accounts for years... One for work and one for personal use. Because it suits me better...

I still don't understand how people can't grasp the fact that if you have something for free, you have basically no right to complain about any unilateral changes from Evernote or any other service.

And if you've had something for free for years and it suited you...and now you don't like the price, it's easy.... I guess it's not worth it to you and why make such a big deal out of it?

• Like 6

I still don't understand how people can't grasp the fact that if you have something for free, you have basically no right to complain about any unilateral changes from Evernote or any other service.

Here is a guess of a couple of possible reasons: (1) people in general hate change that they don't have any control over and (2) there was no direct advance notice for this change (like an email a couple months ahead of time).

I'm kind of actually surprised that we haven't seen more venting in the forums since it's the next day after the December 4th D Day. I wonder if it was a staged rollout and we are still in the calm before the storm period.

• Like 3
19 minutes ago, janndk said:

There is quite a lot of Free-user bashing at the moment.

Yeah - I almost commented the other day that it felt like I was witnessing a feeding frenzy on people who are frustrated, but then didn't, but now I mention it because I guess I'm not alone feeling that way.

• Like 1

I just lost all the notes I entered in Evernote from 2022. Apparently this is because of a change Evernote made without notice??? I am shocked. As a free user, I have no access to support. But why would I pay a company who treats its subscribers this way?

• Like 2

Hi!

The weird thing is I only have one notebook and 17 notes, but I am unable to add new ones. The prompt for me to upgrade keeps popping out which is getting on my nerves, and there's no way for me to reach out to the customer support.

Does anyone here encounter the same issue?

• Like 1

After 10 years this is goodbye, Evernote. Time to move to a competitor. The constant upgrade nags already had me looking at other options. This change, and particularly the way it was communicated, were the final push I needed. My notes are exporting now. 

• Like 4
20 hours ago, janndk said:

There is quite a lot of Free-user bashing at the moment.

I haven't seen posts "bashing" "free-users." Some paying users in this forum are taking a dim view of people complaining about a for-profit company deciding to limit freebies. It's not "bashing" people, it's criticizing behavior. Any and all of it is fair game as long as it doesn't run afoul of forum rules.

If Evernote has been stupid and given something away for free (for many many years!) - it's not the users to blame.

Literally no one is saying that it's "the users to blame." No one. Back when Evernote had an extremely generous free plan, I don't remember a single post criticizing people who took advantage of it. What some of us, myself included, are taking issue with is the idea that free users are being wronged by Evernote. It's an entitlement mentality.

As an aside, it's interesting that no one seems to be addressing Bending Spoons' assertion that the majority of free users are already limiting themselves to a single notebook and a maximum of 50 notes. I'm guessing we're dealing with a noisy minority.

It's fully understandable that people get upset when terms are changed in very short notice.

With respect to a free service? I'm not sure it is understandable. I think we could reasonably say users of the free service had a responsibility to anticipate this could happen. 

Besides, those who have more than one notebook and/or more than 50 notes aren't losing their data. They just can't create new notebooks or notes. There are plenty of free services they can jump to for creating new notes, and time to decide what to do with their Evernote content if they don't want to keep anything there.

I like the Evernote service. So I pay. If I ever change my mind, I'll cancel. Pretty simple.

• Like 5
  • Level 5
8 minutes ago, Bill Myers said:

It's fully understandable that people get upset when terms are changed in very short notice.

With respect to a free service? I'm not sure it is understandable. I think we could reasonably say users of the free service had a responsibility to anticipate this could happen. 

I take your point, but I think from a broader perspective that it is just human nature, when you've been offered something and it's been working well, that when the terms change drastically and very suddenly, one gets upset. Rational expectation doesn't cover all the ground here, IMHO. So it's understandable, if "understandable" can include "not necessarily reasonable." Evernote is clearly not wronging anyone here, but I get the sense of stunned surprise.

• Like 5
9 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

I take your point, but I think from a broader perspective that it is just human nature, when you've been offered something and it's been working well, that when the terms change drastically and very suddenly, one gets upset.

Sure, but complaining about the complaining is also human nature. As is complaining about the complaining about the complaining. Not to mention the complaining about the complaining about the complaining about the...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

This is a disaster,
I am a paying Evernote user (for personal use) and Free user for my work computer.

Evernote just locked me off my work tool by not allowing me to create more than 50 notes (of course I have more).

They did not even send a heads up.

It's become slow and glitchy more and more over the last years, just last few days I've been experiencing severe issues with search.

Surely I won't pay and I will stop paying for my personal license.
Then once I am switched to OneNote - I will convince to switch my wife who is also a paying customer and just few days ago mentioned how frustrated she is with the new cost hike.

I am so frustrated!
That's it for me with Evernote, once a good app.

• Like 2
22 hours ago, ferol said:

My lunch costs me EUR 8 a day. That lunch serves me for about half a day...

Evernote serves me several hours a day for at least 25 days a month...And it costs me about the same as that lunch.

By the way, I've been paying for two accounts for years... One for work and one for personal use. Because it suits me better...

And if you've had something for free for years and it suited you...and now you don't like the price, it's easy.... I guess it's not worth it to you and why make such a big deal out of it?

Spare us please your "lunch analogy" and righteousness........ 

To go from $0 to $140/year for notetaking for a "non power user" is absurd.    

Microsoft 365 Family is $99/year for 6 people.

Bending Spoons obviously can do what they want. 

I believe it will be a big marketing blunder for not having a "Lite" plan for $40/year (which  is all it is worth to me).

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5

@jFog It completely (no: COMPLETELY) escapes my imagination how somebody can build his work performance around a tool that is Free, and because of that may change the conditions of use any other day. If I earn my income with my brains and wits, I make sure that my tools are reliable and performing on a high level - not toying around with a collection of "Free" software.

Part of them will only be collecting my data (and those of my customers, clients, contacts, suppliers etc.), which for example in the EU makes them illegal for my own use at the workplace. Another part will always struggle, forcing me to make changes to my workflows every time and then.

There is a simple enough solution for your situation, however: Open a notebook in your paid account. Share it to your Free account at work. This notebook belongs to the paid account and is not restricted by the new Free plans limits. It has some own limitations, as a shared notebook, but in general it works. Nobody can go beyond the sharing, your general Personal account is still protected.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
15 minutes ago, jFog said:

That's it for me with Evernote, once a good app.

You know this is a user forum, right? The main purpose of which is for users to request help from other users? There's no need to make a big announcement here that you're leaving Evernote.

Lots of people cancel services every day but we don't hear about it. Because there's no need.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5
2 minutes ago, delawaredave said:

I believe it will be a big marketing blunder for not having a "Lite" plan for $40/year (which  is all it is worth to me).

Personally I believe the biggest marketing blunder was for years that every user who decided for a subscription needed to accept that on his bill, 10 so called Free users were allowed to surf their own Free wave. You could not avoid it, and at the same time you could see during the legacy days how the company was struggling and falling behind on investments, building technical debt year by year.

THIS is the biggest blunder you can do - making your paying users feel they are the only ones stupid enough not to avoid paying at all.

It's good (and good business practice) that this seems to be over now.

About ON: Just go ahead, you are convinced so what stops you ? I know they couldn't PAY me enough to start using this specific software, but that's my individual opinion.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, delawaredave said:

Spare us please your "lunch analogy" and righteousness........ 

Uhm... so it's "righteousness" when someone points out, you know, math? Or finds value in something you don't?

8 minutes ago, delawaredave said:

To go from $0 to $140/year for notetaking for a "non power user" is absurd.

OK. Then don't subscribe.

Microsoft 365 Family is $99/year for 6 people.

OK. Then use OneNote.

If you want Evernote, you pay Evernote prices. Otherwise, find something at a price point you prefer. 

It remains to be seen whether this will be a blunder or not. 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, delawaredave said:

Ušetrite nás, prosím, svojej "obedovej analógie" a spravodlivosti...... 

Prejsť z 0 na 140 dolárov ročne za zapisovanie poznámok pre „nevýkonného používateľa“ je absurdné.    

Microsoft 365 Family stojí 99 USD ročne pre 6 osôb.

Ohýbacie lyžice zjavne môžu robiť, čo chcú. 

Verím, že to bude veľká marketingová chyba, ak nebudeme mať „Lite“ plán za 40 dolárov ročne (čo je všetko, čo mi stojí za to).

This explain Apple that their mobiles and tablets are 2-3x more expensive than other Android brands... and strangely enough they are still in that market.... So analogy: "In my opinion, Apple has been making a huge marketing mistake for 20 years with those overpriced things"...

And by the way. Personally, I don't buy Apple because I find them unnecessarily expensive for my use. But I don't go to their forums crying that it's expensive...

And sorry, don't take it personally. But if you're such a marketing specialist and you can judge instead of the new owners of Evernote if they're doing well... who paid a really good chunk of money for it, you should be earning so well that an annual subscription should be raspberry for you...
Otherwise to me it's the same discussion and criticism as from the guys over a beer who know everything from how footballers should have played, how MPs should have voted, how actors should have acted....

• Like 3
On 12/5/2023 at 3:26 PM, Boot17 said:

wonder if it was a staged rollout and we are still in the calm before the storm period.

It could be. I am still on the free version and and have been able to add new notes yesterday and today---and I have far more than 50 notes. I've often thought about getting a paid version but none of the additional features are ones that I need. I did not know about the change until today (Dec 6!) when I got an email from Evernote about an important update. I think not letting people know about the change until after it goes into effect is customer "dis-service".

• Like 2
On 12/4/2023 at 11:03 PM, Annika K said:

New forums user, but I've been using Evernote itself for 'roundabout 7 years now. I picked it up in early highschool and loved it enough, despite its problems (notably a lack of darkmode for so long, and I'm light sensitive!), that I've stuck with it for this long - but 50 notes and 1 notebook is just ridiculous without making another, lower priced tier solely to remove this limit. I never payed for Evernote because I've never needed any of the stuff personal offered. Why would I pay 130$ for unlimited devices when I only ever use my computer and phone? Why would I pay 130$ for 10GB of download when I never hit the 60MB free monthly limit in my 7 years of using the app? Why would I pay 130$ to customize my home dashboard when I'm completely comfortable with the basic one? Why would I pay 130$ to email support I've seen other users say is unresponsive anyway? In fact, I think the only thing in all of the personal plan I have any desire for is the higher note size, but its pretty unusual for me to hit the free limit on a note anyway so that was never enough of a pain-point to justify the expense. In short, I don't need 130$ worth of features. I just need the plain and simple notetaking and organizing app that it's always been. Not offering a more reasonable Evernote Basic (or something) tier to allow that without making me pay for a bunch of features I don't need / will never use just feels greedy when those basic features used to be free. When Evernote begins offering a lesser plan that removes these new restrictions for like, 5$ a month max (the price I could pay to remove ads from other comparable notetaking apps that don't limit my creativity), then I'll pay for this. But I simply can't justify the price of personal compared to other apps I could use.

Your description above could be mine. I don't mind paying for things I like and use. I do not want to pay for things I don't need or would never use.

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, Boot17 said:

Hope you're ready for an onslaught of "freeloading users don't get service so how could they be disserviced" type responses.

Given the number of people I have recommended to the paid version of Evernote (my manager, the department head, and others who pay for it), I don't feel bad about it.  An Evernote "Basic" level, with much the same as the free version would be much appreciated by those of us who do not need the extras. I haven't hit the 60MB upload size since 2010. Why pay for things I don't need?

PS: I've been online long enough to know how to ignore trolls.

Edited by MHochberg
Needed to add more
  • Like 2
36 minutes ago, MHochberg said:

It could be. I am still on the free version and and have been able to add new notes yesterday and today---and I have far more than 50 notes. I've often thought about getting a paid version but none of the additional features are ones that I need. I did not know about the change until today (Dec 6!) when I got an email from Evernote about an important update. I think not letting people know about the change until after it goes into effect is customer "dis-service".

I assume they send that mail to everybody (all plans)? I got it on 5th dec, telling new limitations starting 4th dec. Although it doesn't affect me directly, I think it's extremely bad communication.

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, MHochberg said:
29 minutes ago, Boot17 said:

Hope you're ready for an onslaught of "freeloading users don't get service so how could they be disserviced" type responses.

Given the number of people I have recommended to the paid version of Evernote (my manager, the department head, and others who pay for it), I don't feel bad about it.  An Evernote "Basic" level, with much the same as the free version would be much appreciated by those of us who do not need the extras. I haven't hit the 60MB upload size since 2010. Why pay for things I don't need?

lol - caught me for the 3 minutes that I had a weak moment and made a drama comment before I thought better and deleted it!

• Like 2

I think this is important feedback thread and it shows a lot of the meta of the program and the company.

1) there are commenters scolding the others for using the Free version, which is inappropriate. The Freemium model is a way to ATTRACT users. Pulling the rug from under them with extreme changes does not gain trust, especially when the product is promoted as an archive.

2)If their conversion rate is so poor, and they are not sustainable, there are better ways to have gone about it. They have been unreliable in projecting trustworthiness.

3) I have lightly used EN for 14 years and went to paid with the $40 teaser rate, which I felt was very fair and reasonably priced. $130/yr, no. What they appear to be saying is that the quality they had was not sustainable at an attractive price for their target.  It seems to be the move of a business in deeper trouble and the lack of transparency is something that would support this. Even a , "Sorry Guys But....." level of apologetic, explanatory statement would have been evidence that they share a commitment to those using the product.

A marketing move should not make the prospect start looking elsewhere.  Clearly, they want me to move on, rather than convert me to a product they can support.  I'm a sailor. There is righting the ship and there's manning the boats. A lot of that has to do with trusting the captain.

• Like 3
  • Level 5*
18 minutes ago, Lowdown said:

The Freemium model is a way to ATTRACT users.

Demonstrably not - see posts from users with thousands of notes collected over years,  during which the cost was considerably lower than it is now.

20 minutes ago, Lowdown said:

there are better ways to have gone about it.

It's a business,  paying for expensive bandwidth and storage and giving it away for free.  They had to take action to cut costs,  not spend more in hopes of converting 'some' new customers.  (And by the by - Evernote do say that they chose a 50 note limit to cover 'most free users'...)

22 minutes ago, Lowdown said:

I have lightly used EN for 14 years and went to paid with the $40 teaser rate

So the increase in cost was the factor here,  not the restriction on free use?  Fine - if you don't think the service is worth it,  there are plenty of other options...

24 minutes ago, Lowdown said:

Clearly, they want me to move on

I agree.  Bye.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
7 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

@jFog It completely (no: COMPLETELY) escapes my imagination how somebody can build his work performance around a tool that is Free, and because of that may change the conditions of use any other day.

Well, hundreds of thousands of businesses are using free version of software to run their business. And there is nothing wrong with that.

I'll give you an example - Docker (i do not know if you know it or not, but it was a big deal in dev wold), a wile back they restricted their free version to limits a company I know was not able to using going forward (several hundreds of developers).

Did the company regret that one day in the past they went with Docker? No. They used it successfully for years and then they just switched to an another solution.

Why they did not feel the pain?

Because Docker communicated the change way ahead and let their users to choose what to do.

In my case - I learned about the change in the middle of a meeting when I tried to create a note to record the meeting minutes.

On top of that Evernote is impudent enough to charge $130 for a note taking app!
In the world where Adobe Photoshop + Lightroom costs $120 and full MS Office (including OneNote!) for family costs $99...
... and where Evernote is incredibly glitchy and slow.

This was what caused my frustration.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

There are 2 models that shouldn’t be mixed up: Free versions of software that usually comes with a subscription, and open source software that is shared (including it’s code), where the dev often sells related services.

EN is the first case, Docker the second.

About the price: Either you use and value a set of features, or you don’t. If you don’t, why should you pay ? If enough users believe they get the value they are looking for, the price is OK.

If you loose your company over your Free model, the Free model is NOK. Which was proved in the last years looking at EN as an entity.

• Like 1

1 notebook with 50 notes will eliminate most of the free users. This spec is very limited. 
I think that's what the company wants. Either pay up or leave.

I am surprised the original Evernote company didn't do something similar. 2 devices with unlimited? notebooks and notes serveds many users well including myself for many years until I became a paid member today.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, abdu said:

1 zápisník s 50 poznámkami odstráni väčšinu bezplatných používateľov. Táto špecifikácia je veľmi obmedzená. 
Myslím, že to je to, čo spoločnosť chce. Buď zaplatiť, alebo odísť.

Som prekvapený, že pôvodná spoločnosť Evernote neurobila niečo podobné. 2 zariadenia s neobmedzeným? notebooky a poznámky slúžili mnohým používateľom vrátane mňa mnoho rokov, kým som sa dnes nestal plateným členom.

They just wrote that they did an evaluation and most of the free users have less than 50 and only one notebook. Maybe that's why there's not so much hype on the forum... that this really only affects advanced users who have been using free accounts for a long time...

• Like 3
4 hours ago, ferol said:

Maybe that's why there's not so much hype on the forum... that this really only affects advanced users who have been using free accounts for a long time...

In my case I received the in-app popup only today. I was able to create notes yesterday.

So it may also explain why the forum is calm.

• Level 5*
11 hours ago, jFog said:

On top of that Evernote is impudent enough to charge $130 for a note taking app!
In the world where Adobe Photoshop + Lightroom costs $120 and full MS Office (including OneNote!) for family costs $99...

I understand.  It is a lot of money.  If you are only using Evernote for the occasional note, I agree, it is not worth the price.  There are plenty of other free, or lower price options out there.  Evernote can do much more, and although I think the price point is too high, I’m willing to pay for another year to continue using it and see how it evolves.

• Like 3

I have a paid for account and another older Evernote account  that still has a lot of professional relevance to me, which I was working happily under the one computer/60mbpcm rules. The rule change on free accounts is draconian to me.

Am I now expected to pay twice? or is there a method of 'extending' my subscription to cover the older database? It's not as if I can easily download the whole of the older database and merge it into my newer one - I'd have to do it notebook by notebook.

With a doubling of the subscription price and a halving of my ability to use it, these changes are forcing me to look elsewhere for another home - who knows what changes will be next?

• Like 1
On 11/29/2023 at 1:50 PM, WilliamL said:

I personally think the limitations are fair and still allow collaboration with a family user or work colleague who isn’t using the app exclusively. 

I’ve expressed elsewhere a disappointment at how this is communicated to users. My view is a company must strive to offer what they publicly state they are offering. For Evernote this has not been the case. This could have been mitigated by simply popping something on the website and maybe a blog stating trials were occurring as changes likely are coming. 

As I said I understand why this is being done, but I think it could have been done more transparently and I am concerned by that. I do hope consideration is given to a new basic tier that users who don’t need power features but more notes etc could be considered (basically what was the free tier but a few quid a month). 

I am glad there is now clarity. 

Can this be the reason I've had 2 notes disappear since this date?  I cannot find them anywhere?  I have very many notes on the free app.  

• Level 5

I doubt it - you can't make new notes at all when the restrictions are applied to your account. The integrity of existing notes should not be in peril.

What I can think about the two notes you mentioned: Maybe they got lost in sort of an internet hiccup , preventing notes to properly serve with the server. If they escaped syncing, note history will not show the notes either.

3 hours ago, woods2014 said:

Can this be the reason I've had 2 notes disappear since this date?  I cannot find them anywhere?  I have very many notes on the free app.  

No, check trash for them. Notes shouldn’t disappear once created, sometimes sync issues can cause this though, I really wish they would get those finally resolved. 

7 hours ago, Jackanory said:

Mám platený účet a ďalší starší účet Evernote, ktorý má pre mňa stále veľký profesionálny význam, s ktorým som šťastne pracoval podľa pravidiel jedného počítača/60 mbpcm. Zmena pravidiel na bezplatných účtoch je pre mňa drakonická.

Očakáva sa, že teraz zaplatím dvakrát? alebo existuje spôsob, ako „predĺžiť“ moje predplatné na pokrytie staršej databázy? Nie je to tak, že by som si mohol jednoducho stiahnuť celú staršiu databázu a zlúčiť ju do mojej novšej – musel by som to robiť zošit po notebooku.

So zdvojnásobením ceny predplatného a znížením možnosti používať ho na polovicu ma tieto zmeny nútia hľadať inde iný domov – ktovie, aké zmeny budú nasledovať?

Access to existing notes remains, you just can't add new ones over 50 in free account.

• Level 5

@Jackanory and @santiherm, if I understand you rightly, you have both paid and free accounts and are interested in merging them as the new limitations on Free set in. I'm sure this can be done, presumably by exporting notebooks from the free account and importing into the other. I've never done this myself, but others here I'm sure can offer advice. The Evernote Help article on exporting (https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209005557) explicitly lists merging 2 accounts as one purpose of this function. 

• Like 1

I do not care anymore. The last time I paid for Evernote was in januari 2023 .... And that will be the very last time. Already stopped adding notes month ago, switched to different app and workflow. Evernote has become so totally disappointing in previous years, gave it the benefit of the doubt two times. GOODBYE EN after 15 years of which 12 years payed subscription. Got the price increase notice today .... it is over and out EN .... goodbye 

• Like 3

Well, notebooks is the only reason I've used Evernote faithfully for like 10 years instead of just dumping things into Google drive docs. It was literally the only reason I picked Evernote when I settled for not having the option of OneNote at home, I needed that hierarchical organizing. Guess this is the final push to go to another notetaking app. One notebook is silly, 50 notes I could maybe handle. Free users are imperative to ad revenu. It's fine to change the business model, but pulling the rug out from under a very large and loyal user base is in poor taste. I got no notification about this change until it's already happened. I work in software, it's common practice (and common courteousy) to give your users a heads-up about such a large change weeks in advance so they can prepare. Insulting! Now I have to spend time over the holidays exporting to something else because, clearly, I'm not going to get a good faith notification that Evernote is going to stop letting me access my existing notebooks and notes (something I'm sure is coming soon). The "offer" to keep going? $130 per year? Kick in the teeth, no "thanks for being a loyal user for a decade, here's a special offer even though we're cutting you off at the knees with no warning."

• Like 2

They have been posting in your face ads for discounts for months but they couldn't put similar notifications or warnings that free users will only be able to have 50 notes and one notebook!? Come on Evernote. They did this sweeping move to 'force' users to upgrade and get a sudden influx of revenue. I paid for one month and probably will move to another app during the month. I found one that's 1/3 of Evernote's price.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, abdu said:

They have been posting in your face ads for discounts for months but they couldn't put similar notifications or warnings that free users will only be able to have 50 notes and one notebook!? Come on Evernote. They did this sweeping move to 'force' users to upgrade and get a sudden influx of revenue. I paid for one month and probably will move to another app during the month. I found one that's 1/3 of Evernote's price.

You didn't find the big red flash that said "You're using outdated software" a big enough hint?  And they're not 'forcing' you to upgrade - they're just as happy if you make a decision and leave.  They either get some income to pay for your months of use,  or they put an end to a drain on their resources.  I'd say it's a win either way.

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, gazumped said:

You didn't find the big red flash that said "You're using outdated software" a big enough hint?  And they're not 'forcing' you to upgrade - they're just as happy if you make a decision and leave.  They either get some income to pay for your months of use,  or they put an end to a drain on their resources.  I'd say it's a win either way.

I have never ever seen  "You're using outdated software" red flash . I am using the latest v10.x and always update when there's a new version. It's not outdated. You must be confused with users using the legacy version.
What's the relationship between 'outdated' software and changes in plans and feature? Outdated software does not indicate change in plans. 

Yes they are forcing users to upgrade if they don't notify clearly to users that what they used to be able to do won't work anymore. I am not talking about their business decision and why they did it. They know that without warning users about the change, some users will have to pay so they can add notes. They're not going to have enough time to do research for a new app, migrate and be able to add notes in the new app in a very short time. I paid for a month so that I can give myself time to research other alternatives and make a decision to move or stay. I am certainly not happy for not being able to add notes suddenly. 

I also didn't get emails about their plan to change their offerings. All I have been seeing is the discounts and 'last chance' which showed for a very long time causing its lack of effectiveness.
My whole reply was about their lack of giving users enough notice. You can stop talking about why they changed their plans. We already know why and how good it is for them.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, anticdisposition said:

Free users are imperative to ad revenu.

Please explain this.  The only ads that Evernote has ever had are ones to encourage users to either subscribe or to update into a higher tier.  Free users don’t provide any revenue.  That is the problem and it is not sustainable.  Free users may be a large and loyal group but they are not helping to pay the bills.  Converting some of them into a paid plan and cutting the rest will.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, anticdisposition said:

One notebook is silly, 50 notes I could maybe handle

You can achieve basically the same thing with tags that you can with notebooks. Plus tags are additionally more versatile in other areas. 

Kind of surprised they don't limit the number of tags too. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
5 hours ago, Boot17 said:

Kind of surprised they don't limit the number of tags too. 

I'm also surprised that existing users with (way) more than 50 notes get to keep their free online storage.  I agree that closing that down overnight would be totally unacceptable - but I'd be surprised if Evernote were not monitoring how many non-subscribers use more than say 1.5GB of storage,  and planning to do something about that at the end of next year when all of the subscription changes have rolled through...

(Apologies by the way for the earlier brain freeze when I got legacy users mixed up with price rises...)

• Like 3
3 hours ago, gazumped said:

I agree that closing that down overnight would be totally unacceptable - but I'd be surprised if Evernote were not monitoring how many non-subscribers use more than say 1.5GB of storage,  and planning to do something about that at the end of next year when all of the subscription changes have rolled through...

I was thinking something similar. I use a cloud-based tool called Nirvana and they have a policy of purging data from free accounts if those accounts haven't been touched in a year.

Nirvana, BTW, sends two separate emails to the customer warning them. So you can keep data in a free account in perpetuity -- you just have to use it. And some people were up in arms about that policy. 🙄

On 12/6/2023 at 6:12 PM, ferol said:

And sorry, don't take it personally. But if you're such a marketing specialist and you can judge instead of the new owners of Evernote if they're doing well... who paid a really good chunk of money for it, you should be earning so well that an annual subscription should be raspberry for you...
Otherwise to me it's the same discussion and criticism as from the guys over a beer who know everything from how footballers should have played, how MPs should have voted, how actors should have acted....

People aren't predicting Evernote is going to fail. They're wishing Evernote will fail. Because that would validate the idea that what they want just happens to be the only path to Evernote's business success. 

The alternative is accepting that the world doesn't revolve around any of us, and that just because we want something doesn't mean anyone has a moral imperative to provide it to us. And that can be a bitter pill to swallow.

• Like 6

Very sad way to treat your user base. 

1. Send continual nag upgrade messages 

2. Increase prices dramatically and not have a lower tier option for a casual user. I don't need all the options on your lowest tier offering and I would have to pay almost twice the annual cost for Evernote than I do for my Office 365 subscription that gives me tons of applications!

3. Give virtually no notice period before making Evernote basically useless with a 50 note limit

I would pay for a low tier option but you are forcing me to move to Joplin or OneNote :( Please consider adding a low price option.

• Like 3

ATTENTION EVERNOTE LEADERS AND MARKETING TEAM:

I have been listening to my academy of Evernote users as we have talked about our Evernote journeys, and have come to the conclusion that the new Evernote free account limits are a big mistake.  

Purpose of free accounts:  give new users a taste of what the app offers and leave them happy and wanting more so that they will subscribe.

The new limits, in our opinion, do not meet this purpose. One notebook is not enough to give a true taste of what Evernote can do. Let new users see that Evernote is not just creating notes and storing them in a notebook - yes, Evernote is great at this, but so are many other apps.  Let them see how easy it is to move notes, organize a stack, jump from note to note and from notebook to notebook, the joy of adding a shortcut.  Let them experience Evernote's power as the master of capture, note-links, flexbility to meet any workflow, and simplicity with its three levels of organization: notes, notebooks, and stacks.  Ask Tiego Forte to share his video "Notes: Taking Notes Effectively" in his new Pillars of Productivity course where he demonstrates setting up his PARA/Second Brain system using four stacks.  I wouldn't be able to test this workflow in Evernote with the new Evernote free limits.

We propose these limits: a minimum 4 notebook limit with 15 notes per notebook which would allow new users to create stacks and explore Evernote's strengths and still want more.  Up that to 8-10 notebooks if you want users to be able to set up Forte's PARA system with stacks.

I never would have paid the close to $200 subscription fee for Evernote based on what I could do with 1 notebook and 50 notes.  C'mon, Evernote.  If you want more loyal users like my Evernote academy members, you need to let people experience a bit more of the wonders of Evernote.  The original free plan gave too much, but now you are giving too little.  

Thanks for listening,

Lynnae Lathrop, Professional level subscriber

• Like 2

I will always be a light Evernote user and will never subscribe to any plan.  I understand the push to monetize, but these annoying pop-ups and constant notifications to subscribe are making me think I need to leave Evernote altogether. There are dozens of alternatives available.

It would be nice to have the option to never remind me again.

• Like 2
  • Level 5

You can send feedback through the function build into the apps.

In the forum among us users we have diverting views on the new Free plan.

Personally I think it is OK for a test drive. What should readdressed are large old accounts where the users seem to expect that even if they don't use them, everything needs to be active right on login.

I think after a certain time without account activity, every account should be automatically set to "inactive", and the data moved to a Glacier-type of cheap, slow storage. Probably after some more time (we talk years here, not weeks) the account should get deleted. This would keep those users untouched who use their Free accounts as an archive, but would remove those from the active servers who doesn't access their data any more.

It would contribute a little to the goal of a greener planet by removing hoards of inactive data from the most energy consuming server storage.

• Like 2
  • Level 5
16 hours ago, anticdisposition said:

Well, notebooks is the only reason I've used Evernote faithfully for like 10 years instead of just dumping things into Google drive docs. It was literally the only reason I picked Evernote when I settled for not having the option of OneNote at home, I needed that hierarchical organizing. Guess this is the final push to go to another notetaking app. One notebook is silly, 50 notes I could maybe handle. Free users are imperative to ad revenu. It's fine to change the business model, but pulling the rug out from under a very large and loyal user base is in poor taste. I got no notification about this change until it's already happened. I work in software, it's common practice (and common courteousy) to give your users a heads-up about such a large change weeks in advance so they can prepare. Insulting! Now I have to spend time over the holidays exporting to something else because, clearly, I'm not going to get a good faith notification that Evernote is going to stop letting me access my existing notebooks and notes (something I'm sure is coming soon). The "offer" to keep going? $130 per year? Kick in the teeth, no "thanks for being a loyal user for a decade, here's a special offer even though we're cutting you off at the knees with no warning."

I should probably let this go, since the reasoning here is so flawed. But.... First, as @s2sailor said, Evernote has no "ad revenue." This is not Google. They don't grab your stuff and process it into advertising. They get $00 revenue of any kind from free users, only costs. Where did you even get the idea that they got ad revenue?

Second, you have no reason to think Evernote is going to suddenly cut off access to existing notes and notebooks. They explicitly say that you can continue to access and even edit those notes going forward, just not create new notes or notebooks. IOW, you get to continue to be a drain on their resources (paid for by me, among others, BTW), just not an endlessly growing drain.

I agree that the notification was badly done, and this seems to be typical of Bending Spoons. But what exactly is a "faithful" and "loyal user" in this context? What did your loyalty consist of, other than steadily taking for 10 years and never paying? IMO (no H about it), a loyal user would be one who said, "Hmm, I've been using this service for 2 years, it lets me organize my materials nicely and find them readily, I should start paying something for it."

An image for this whole thing that is starting to appeal to me: a large fruit-growing company fails to put a fence around its orchards. People wander in and pick the apples, put them in their backpacks and carry them home. They consider themselves loyal patrons of the orchard. Then one day there is suddenly a fence around all but a few of the trees, and they feel betrayed.🙄

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Loyal Evernote User said:

ATTENTION EVERNOTE LEADERS AND MARKETING TEAM:

I have been listening to my academy of Evernote users as we have talked about our Evernote journeys, and have come to the conclusion that the new Evernote free account limits are a big mistake.  

Purpose of free accounts:  give new users a taste of what the app offers and leave them happy and wanting more so that they will subscribe.

The new limits, in our opinion, do not meet this purpose. One notebook is not enough to give a true taste of what Evernote can do. Let new users see that Evernote is not just creating notes and storing them in a notebook - yes, Evernote is great at this, but so are many other apps.  Let them see how easy it is to move notes, organize a stack, jump from note to note and from notebook to notebook, the joy of adding a shortcut.  Let them experience Evernote's power as the master of capture, note-links, flexbility to meet any workflow, and simplicity with its three levels of organization: notes, notebooks, and stacks.  Ask Tiego Forte to share his video "Notes: Taking Notes Effectively" in his new Pillars of Productivity course where he demonstrates setting up his PARA/Second Brain system using four stacks.  I wouldn't be able to test this workflow in Evernote with the new Evernote free limits.

We propose these limits: a minimum 4 notebook limit with 15 notes per notebook which would allow new users to create stacks and explore Evernote's strengths and still want more.  Up that to 8-10 notebooks if you want users to be able to set up Forte's PARA system with stacks.

I never would have paid the close to $200 subscription fee for Evernote based on what I could do with 1 notebook and 50 notes.  C'mon, Evernote.  If you want more loyal users like my Evernote academy members, you need to let people experience a bit more of the wonders of Evernote.  The original free plan gave too much, but now you are giving too little.  

Thanks for listening,

Lynnae Lathrop, Professional level subscriber

I wish you the best of luck with this, but bear in mind that Bending Spoons is not a government you can petition for redress of grievances. Their leadership is not elected. They are a for-profit company.

I'm sure their executive team discussed this in depth and decided that the one notebook / 50 note limit is what's best for the product and their company. If it is a mistake, it's their mistake to make. 

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

An image for this whole thing that is starting to appeal to me: a large fruit-growing company fails to put a fence around its orchards. People wander in and pick the apples, put them in their backpacks and carry them home. They consider themselves loyal patrons of the orchard. Then one day there is suddenly a fence around all but a few of the trees, and they feel betrayed.🙄

An image for this whole thing that is starting to appeal to me: a large fruit-growing company fails to put a fence around its orchards. invites people wander in and pick the apples, put them in their backpacks and carry them home. They consider themselves loyal patrons of the orchard. Then one day there is suddenly a fence around all but a few of the trees, and they feel betrayed.🙄

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

I've come to the conclusion that there is nothing we could possibly say to dissuade the complainers or their defenders. It's become abundantly apparent that it's not so much about what they have to say as it is hearing themselves say it. 

All I can say is that it is interesting that so many people declare that Evernote is a crappy product with one breath, and then with the next demand free or low-cost access to it when there are free or low-cost alternatives. If Evernote sucks so hard, why are people so unwilling to walk away from it? Or upset that they feel they have to?

I guess I'll never know. Peace out.

• Like 3
7 hours ago, gazumped said:

I'm also surprised that existing users with (way) more than 50 notes get to keep their free online storage.  I agree that closing that down overnight would be totally unacceptable - but I'd be surprised if Evernote were not monitoring how many non-subscribers use more than say 1.5GB of storage,  and planning to do something about that at the end of next year when all of the subscription changes have rolled through...

(Apologies by the way for the earlier brain freeze when I got legacy users mixed up with price rises...)

These users won't be able to add any more new notes. I am pretty sure users who have many notes add new notes frequently. If they can't anymore, I expect they would either upgrade or move away. Both outcomes is what the company wants.

• Like 4
  • Level 5*

It seems a time limit trial for new users and a sunset day for existing basic users would provide a fair testing environment and an eventual clean up. 

One notebook and 50 notes sounds like target practice with no bullets.  And not sure free makes sense for a kind of mature product.  One opinion in the wilderness. 

2 minutes ago, CalS said:

It seems a time limit trial for new users and a sunset day for existing basic users would provide a fair testing environment and an eventual clean up. 

One notebook and 50 notes sounds like target practice with no bullets.  And not sure free makes sense for a kind of mature product.  One opinion in the wilderness. 

Users like free options. Me included. I was using a weather service to get historical weather data using their free plan. The first next paid option is $35/month. I am not going to pay that for using the service a bit.

We also like to test products for a long time to make sure it works. Sometimes we get busy and forget to test the product and when we have time or remember, the trial has expired and we're stuck with having to pay. The free plan is already pretty limited. They can purge inactive users. The ones who seems to have  moved to another company but kept their Evernote account, just in case and it's free anyway.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

@abdu I don't know what long time means to everyone.  A month or two seems fair to me to evaluate something like EN.  Years makes no sense.

I've used free as well.  Still have some free cloud storage, a few GB, that I haven't moved to MEGA or OneDrive, it's not pressing.  DropBox changes their plan I'll move it. 

Personally I think EN gave away too much for too long. When I signed on in 2008 or 2009 I subscribed right away as I liked the product and wanted to pay for the value received.  Likewise, when V10 came along and my use case got borqued I moved on and quit paying. 

End of the day I have never understood the free lunch mentality.  It's the company's choice not the user's.  Though BP could show a bit more grace providing transition timelines.  🤷‍♂️

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, CalS said:

@abdu I don't know what long time means to everyone.  A month or two seems fair to me to evaluate something like EN.  Years makes no sense.

I've used free as well.  Still have some free cloud storage, a few GB, that I haven't moved to MEGA or OneDrive, it's not pressing.  DropBox changes their plan I'll move it. 

Personally I think EN gave away too much for too long. When I signed on in 2008 or 2009 I subscribed right away as I liked the product and wanted to pay for the value received.  Likewise, when V10 came along and my use case got borqued I moved on and quit paying. 

End of the day I have never understood the free lunch mentality.  It's the company's choice not the user's.  Though BP could show a bit more grace providing transition timelines.  🤷‍♂️

I am not sure what you're proposing. Remove the free plan and put instead a free trial? Why?
The new 1/50 limit will purge many users in upcoming weeks. Freeing storage and resource.
Some of us get a free trial to kick the tires then get distracted or we weren't that interested initially. We're not actively evaluating the software to make a purchase decision.
For example, I may come to EN today to check out the software and start a trial, if they had one, and I am also checking other notes software and this is taking some time, maybe weeks and come back to EN and find out the trial expired, guess what will happen? I am going to concentrate on the apps that have free options and take my time with them. EN has lost me as a potential customer. Unless I contact EN and ask for a trial extension. I don't think many people do this. People are lazy.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

People are lazy - right so: Lazy enough that some trials took 15 years now, and were not finished when the new plan kicked in.

No wonder these users get emotional: Just a few years more, and they would have been ready to decide …

Lazy 🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
13 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

People are lazy - right so: Lazy enough that some trials took 15 years now, and were not finished when the new plan kicked in.

No wonder these users get emotional: Just a few years more, and they would have been ready to decide …

Lazy 🤣🤣🤣

There were no trial plans with EN. If a plan works for years and it's free, of course they will stick to it. What did you expect?
Why pay when you don't have to. 

• Level 5

I better don’t tell you what I expected.

I am just happy that my payments will now stay in the company, driving services and development instead of financing the greed of others.

That there is a Free plan, and eternal use was not sanctioned does not mean I must agree that it’s „normal“ to avoid payments, and let others foot the bill, for up to 15 years.

Not everything that’s legal is right.

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

I better don’t tell you what I expected.

I am just happy that my payments will now stay in the company, driving services and development instead of financing the greed of others.

That there is a Free plan, and eternal use was not sanctioned does not mean I must agree that it’s „normal“ to avoid payments, and let others foot the bill, for up to 15 years.

Not everything that’s legal is right.

If you want to pay, go ahead and pay. Good for you and for the company.

If the company is offering a free plan and the company thinks it's right and people are making use of it, you shouldn't have an issue with it. 
The company is offering choices and people are choosing. You seem to have a gripe that you're paying and others are not. You get what you pay for.
You get more because you pay.

On 11/29/2023 at 11:28 AM, Federico Simionato said:

As a senior citizen on a very low retirement income, I find it extremely difficult to add one more monthly payment. With Evernote I have helped other senior citizens with health problems at no cost.

I'm sure there are thousands of us that have the same problem, many of them who have served our country in battle and are disabled.

Your industry has a reputation for executives having multi-million dollar homes and yachts. That may not be the case in your situation, and I don't know whether you are oblivious, clueless, or uncaring towards senior citizens, but thousands of companies have considerations for low-income users.

I hope the decent, sensitive people in your company see this and act accordingly.

Thank you for your time and consideration,

Mitch M

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, abdu said:

The company is offering choices and people are choosing. You seem to have a gripe that you're paying and others are not. You get what you pay for.
You get more because you pay.

True. I would be perfectly will to pay for what was the "free" level if that was all that was covered (2 devices, 60MB upload limit, web clipper). Paying for a lot of things that I will never use does not make sense.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, abdu said:

I am not sure what you're proposing. Remove the free plan and put instead a free trial? Why?

Force the issue.  Fair shot at kicking the tires for a prospective user.  Onus is on the user to see if the software meets their needs.  Both sides participate in the bargain.

14 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

You are soooo right.

Excel has 430 functions, and now I counted, and I only use 41 of them.

Am I now entitled for a 90% rebate ? Have to urgently request it from Microsoft.

‘ll be back soooooon 🏃🏻‍♂️

Why don't you ever quote what you're replying to!? I lost track of whom you're replying to and what the point you're trying to make.This thread has multiple users making comments in case you didn't notice.
You seem to be bothered about something.