Price increase and "new" Version

I have been a user since 2012 and this price increase is unacceptable 

Subscription price increase, last year my subscription was £45 approx now you have nearly doubled the subscription cost 

This is unacceptable, therefore I will be no longer be using your services, and reverting back to limited number of devices which is free of charge.

As a customer since 2012 I am saddened that I am forced to do this, but an increase to £79 from £45 is unacceptable.

I will be using other services

• Like 6

Subscription price increase, last year my subscription was £45 approx now you have nearly doubled the subscription cost 

This is unacceptable, therefore I will be no longer be using your services, and reverting back to limited number of devices which is free of charge.

As a customer since 2012 I am saddened that I am forced to do this, but an increase to £79 from £45 is unacceptable.

I will be using other services

• Like 4
6 hours ago, gazumped said:

if you remain unhappy - subscribe another app.  Realistically the only time a big company reacts is when their losses start to exceed expectations.  Impassioned complaints don't particularly help...

I think they are about to realise what they bought- and users will not pay for something that does not work.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, RobertJLee said:

I think they are about to realise what they bought- and users will not pay for something that does not work.

Had they read these forums and all the outstanding bugs in more detail, they would have known in advance that the software was unstable and half-baked

That said, I still believe the new owners are much more determined to fix all these issues. We just need to give them a little more time to get EN back on track. We can't expect them to fix something in 1 month that has gone wrong over several years...

• Like 2
4 hours ago, eric99 said:

We can't expect them to fix something in 1 month that has gone wrong over several years

Maybe but they can't expect us to take a 50% increase and act as beta testers- they should be paying us or reducing the subscription.

• Like 6
  • Level 5

It’s „their“ decision how much to charge. They don’t need to expect anything for setting a price.

It‘s your decision if you are willing to pay.

For me it boils down to the value EN creates for me. If you assume the service is not stable, it reduces the value you perceive.

If you don’t think the balance is OK for you, activate your personal „Plan B“.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

If you assume the service is not stable, it reduces the value you perceive.

It is not an assumption

It is fact

As is the 50% price increase

For a 10% beta program.....

I have 4 months to find a reliable alternative with a half decent web clipper- I don't trust EN anymore and am puzzled as to why someone like you who is obviously very computer savy constantly defends this lot.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5*

...Don't see any defences here,  only a realistic cold calculation:  do you feel the app is worth whatever the new price is in your local currency?  If not,  then by all means head for the exit.  Evernote clearly expect some losses - maybe they over-estimate their own security. 

I have a large database with occasional hiccups,  but no worse a situation than any other software I use,  and no immediate need to vacate.  If there's a better option in 12 months and the position here is the same and/ or costs have gone up again,  I may be strongly tempted.  Until then it's business as usual. 

Several other 'power' users seem to feel the same way,  but everyone's mileage is different.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5

No defense, I just comment based on how I experience the service. It works fine - for me. If it doesn't, I issue a support ticket, and provide support with information they ask for to solve the issue. Usually things are fixed in a reasonable time span.

There are different user experiences, documented by forum posts, among others. That is their (your) user experience. There is a certain bias, because usually users don't come here just to tell how great everything works.

If possible we "regulars" (all users, except those few who carry a "Staff" in their forum badge) try to help with experience and maybe a workaround. Serious problems should be reported to support.

It's the same with the price increase. It is clearly a question of allocating a (usually) limited budget on unlimited possibilities. If there is value created, you may accept a certain price. If it is raised, you need to decide about your budget allocation. If you think the value is not good enough any more (which can be driven by ANY aspect, from the color of the app icon to a perceived instability of the service), then you establish your best alternative, and move.

• Like 2

I don't mind the increase, but the updated version for Mac should never have been released.... is a step backward and wasting my time this morning .......can't turn off stupid auto formatting....all my fonts are gone....  etc.

On 6/28/2023 at 2:51 AM, RobertJLee said:

Cue the acolytes or those with a vested interest crawling out of the woodwork to explain how i am wrong/it is still worth it/it compares favourably with pricing of other products.

You get to express your opinion, but others have the right to disagree. That's the way of the world. 

On 6/28/2023 at 4:23 AM, gazumped said:

It's a big increase and if you don't think it worth it to stay you should absolutely cancel your subscription and use an alternative.  I just got caught by the increase more or less on day one,  so Evernote got a surprise pass on that;  but unless things are very different in one year I'll be out of here.

A little while back I canceled my subscription and subsequently received an offer to re-up at a pretty big discount, in exchange for a one-year commitment. That took some of the sting out of the price increase, so I rolled the dice and took the offer. Hey, it's not the riskiest risk I've ever taken.

I started learning about Bending Spoons and started to feel optimistic about them and the potential they could take Evernote somewhere. But they seemed to stumble out of the starting gate. The price increase combined with the recent issues some have had with data loss and the performance issues I and others are experiencing don't give me the warm and fuzzies. 

But decades ago I remember reading some advice that really stuck with me: do your worrying before you place your bet, not after. For better or for worse, I'm along for the ride for about 10 more months.

On 6/28/2023 at 4:23 AM, gazumped said:

Impassioned complaints don't particularly help...

Yes, this. Vote with your dollars and your feet. 

On 6/28/2023 at 2:51 AM, RobertJLee said:

Maybe it does but difference other products work, are improving and existing customers are not being financially violated violated.

"Violated" is... pretty strong language. I doubt anyone is going bankrupt over Evernote's new pricing. And it's not like this service is as vital as running water or even reliable broadband service. Other than using Apple Notes for shopping lists, my wife doesn't use notetaking software at all, and she is very organized and lives a pretty good life.

If things don't get better, or if Bending Spoons takes Evernote in a direction I don't like, I may leave at the end of my subscription. But I guarantee you I won't be posting to announce it, because in the end none of the people at Bending Spoons or the users in this forum will be emotionally impacted by my decision. And I'm OK with that. In fact, I think it would be a little creepy if anyone was that emotionally invested in whether I choose to stay or leave.

• Like 9

Hey all - superbly written thread this, lots of balance and consideration. I agree with everything quite honestly. Its a big hike, for sure. Pay it if you see it as justified, don't if you don't, and no one could question that. Rule one of productivity mgmt is surely to attach yourself to a process and system that works, not a particular provider. As it happens, for what it's worth, the thing works for me really really well and is in line with my system and my expectations. If it didn't I would be gone. But, like, there ARE bigger issues in the world, right? Like, for example, Everton's midfield......

• Like 4
  • Level 5

@Neil Maxfield I agree with what you say. Therefore I want to add 2 aspects:

Define your use case, then select your supporting service. If somebody was happy with EN until now, he likely still didn’t use all functions. So check for which you used, and how. If clipping content from the web is important, a markdown note editor will not help much, even if it looks hip.

Second always check for the EXPORT options before you decide. Most apps are happy to IMPORT your ENEX files, but often the same apps are insisting they have no export options worth using. But if you want to leave A today, you may be in a situation to leave B in a couple of years. So make sure B is not only taking your data, but will release them as well.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Neil Maxfield said:

But, like, there ARE bigger issues in the world, right? Like, for example, Everton's midfield......

I wish I got that reference.

1 hour ago, RobertJLee said:

They need to watch Ted Lasso there are some lessons to be learned there......

I haven't watched Ted Lasso. I'm not cool enough for this thread, clearly.

Everton = English football club struggling ( over the pond you call it soccer)

Ted Lasso = failing english football (soccer) club engage the services of an american "football" coach to coach/train/manage their failing football club.....with hilarious consequences

I have been a diehard user of EverNote since 2009, and I truly like this app and how they've worked to adapt it, but having to pay $200+ CAD/Yr is too much for the value I get from it. So, I'm sorry to give up on the Pro version and focus my info management on another paid app I have. Dear EverNote, I hope it's only a "goodbye" and not a "farewell"!

• Like 1

I'm pretty disappointed that this increase is coming on with very little to show for the cost. For my use of the product personally: 

• There's been no improvement in the last 2 years, or on the roadmap which I can point to and say "this is a great new feature that I needed and use".
  • There's been no movement toward very simple, long standing requests like collapsible sections in notes (among others).

Honestly I would switch to the free version because the ONLY thing I need is the ability to access notes from 4 different devices. There's nothing in the paid version which is a value to me, and hasn't been for some time. 

I almost left after the last increase but at the time I could afford it. I can't afford it anymore. Luckily for me, there are some very good alternatives now unlike last increase, but it's a real shame it has to come to that. 11 years I've been with Evernote, and I'm simply priced out - like with many companies these days we don't feel like we have a voice as a long time supporter-so while this will fall on deaf ears, at least I could say my peace. 

Good luck to all! 

• Like 3
  • Level 5

We got more new features in the last 2+ years, than in the 5 years before. Just as an example, "collapsible sections" can easily be avoided if you keep notes shorter, and link several together. We got backlinks recently, a great addition to navigate linked notes in all directions. You find out as well on trying that it is easier to handle shorter notes, less scrolling, more employed use time.

It may be you had no use for the new features. It may be as well you didn't really explore them, and didn't make them work for you. Nevermind, you should always follow the value, and if the value and the price get off balance in your personal view, it's time to take a decision. Good luck.

• Like 2

I suffered the same shock today when the email reached me that the subscription price for Evernote Personal is increasing ... from 59.99 EUR to 99.99 EUR annually! That's a 67% increase! 

Yes, I have been using Evernote for 10 years. Yes, I like using it, and it's a daily used tool that I don't want to miss. Yes, I am happy to pay the appropriate amount of money for the software and have paid several hundred euros over the past few years. And yes, I also understand that prices have to be increased.

But by 67%?! There is nothing to justify that! Neither with generally increased prices, nor with super-important new features, nor anything else. This is pure greed to the detriment of loyal customers and users.

If the Evernote management doesn't reconsider their demand, I feel forced to switch to another provider.

Translated with DeepL

• Like 1
On 7/2/2023 at 7:59 PM, Swader said:

Luckily for me, there are some very good alternatives now unlike last increase, but it's a real shame it has to come to that.! 

Yep I just canceled my sub too. What other service are you going for?

4 hours ago, EverGrope said:

Yep I just canceled my sub too. What other service are you going for?

I really do not know yet! I tried several apps, I looked into Apple Note.app and Microsoft OneNote ... but as I am so used to Evernote for a decade, I don't see an alternative yet.

• Level 5*

LOL shame we don't have a count of new users to see whether things are balancing out...  It's sad that happy(ish) users have to find a new provider,  but an increased turnover in subscriptions isn't likely to affect the company and is definitely not going to affect their pricing at least in the short term.  And look on the bright side - you'll have lots of nice 'new user' discounts to compare in the first year. But - to coin a phrase - the avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.

• Like 3

I've used Evernote since 2009, love the product.  Did not like v10 when it came out, it was more of a beta product than something that should have been released as final.  I gave it a try, posted in another thread in their forums my constructive feedback of what was missing, and went back to using v6.  Since then I have installed v10 now and then to see if it's gotten any better, and it has.  There are still things I don't like, but it is much improved.  After getting the nag to upgrade I finally decided to do it on one computer so I could give it an honest try.  My main gripe right now is no way to change the default normal text.  Many other applications allow this, it should be simple for them to do.

When I got the price upgrade I couldn't believe it.  I completely understand the need to raise the yearly price, things cost more, developers cost more, you need money to improve instead of just maintain, etc.  But that was a bit much.  For me, I use Evernote as my online notebook.  That's it.  I don't share notes, don't use the collaboration stuff, don't use the calendar feature, none of that.  I sent them an email proposing they make another tier that's in the $89-$99/yr range.  This tier would be for those of us who just use it as a notebook, not the collaboration stuff.  And I'm really not interested in the AI stuff.  Maybe in the future I might, but my use is very simple.  The support person who emailed me back said they passed this along, though I don't hold out any hope Evernote will do this.

I REALLY like Evernote, it's been a great savings to me so many times!  I don't want to leave.  The most current version still has issues, but it's now usable for me.  But this price increase is really tough to justify.  There are some other products out there I've been evaluating with one looking really good, but they don't have tables (it's in the works).  They do import from Evernote and the import looks good - again except for the tables.

I know a lot of people hate change, and v10 was a huge change.  For me, it wasn't the change, it was that so many things from v6 were missing and the product just didn't work.  Many of those features are there now, so they have been moving the product in the right direction.  I have always felt what I get out of Evernote is worth the subscription price.  Now I'm not sure, especially when there are other options that are a lot less and work well for what I need and how I use Evernote.  When v10 came out I felt the company didn't care about what their users were saying, they were gonna do what they wanted to do and if you didn't like it, too bad.  I'm hoping the new owners are listening better.  

• Like 2
4 hours ago, gazumped said:

But - to coin a phrase - the avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.

I'm not trying to start an argument, but I'm genuinely curious: is our "data" about the number of people leaving Evernote based on what's being said in this forum or is there some outside information I'm unaware of? I ask because I wonder if this forum is subject to the kind of "response bias" that survey researchers have to be aware of. This refers to the fact that there is a certain type of person who will answer surveys. Those who don't can't accurately be counted because... they don't answer surveys.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm the only person I know personally who participates in forums like this. So even if 500 people post here to say that they're leaving, it doesn't necessarily mean that there is an avalanche of people leaving Evernote. There may be a silent majority out there who just go about their day and don't post here about whether they're staying or leaving. Again, if there is a source of additional information I'm unaware of, that's a different situation. But if it's just forums like this, I'd be wary of trying to read the tea leaves based on those of us who are in that minority who post in places like this.

I'm also not sure why some people feel a need to take satisfaction in the thought that a software company that has angered them will fail (I'm not saying that's you, @gazumped, because I don't think it is, but it seems undeniable there are a few people posting in this forum who do). If something Bending Spoons does with Evernote upsets me, I'll leave. I don't feel the need to "get satisfaction" by watching them fail. I'll have improved my own life by walking away from a situation I don't like. I don't need anything else.

Before I get pilloried as being an Evernote or Bending Spoons apologist, I have my own concerns about the direction they're heading in. I recently upgraded my subscription from personal to professional, mainly because I have a use for pinning multiple notes to my home screen. I upgraded on impulse (it's in my nature to act impulsively from time to time) even though I had misgivings about the pricing. In my view, the price differential between personal and professional isn't really justified by the few additional features and benefits that professional has over personal. My concern is that if enough other people see things as I do, this could hurt Evernote's market position in the long term and result in my losing a solution that I still mostly like, even though they've had some pretty egregious technical problems of late.

But I don't feel the need to label Bending Spoons as "greedy" as some have. Bending Spoons cost structure may require them to charge what they are in order to have a chance of being profitable. Especially with their recent investments in RTE and AI. Or they may just not be doing a good job of reading the market. 

In fairness, not that long ago I was the type of person who needed to feel that a company that "wronged" me was suffering as a result. I've given up the need for schadenfreude. Sometimes companies have good intentions but poor execution. I hope that's not the case with Bending Spoons and Evernote. But if it is, I'll just walk away and save my emotions for something that matters more than cloud-based note-taking software. YMMV.

• Like 6

I have been a paid user since 2012.   There has been defintely a lot of ups and downs with EN.

The biggest issue I have is the increase in price right after I renewed in March .  I pay in March and then they want another full year's subscription at the higher price in June. What gives other than greed to treat your customer base in this fashion.

I am relunctantly planning on paying and stay the course, but I my wife will not.  She is not a power user and just typically looks at the notes I share with her.

This move does not fair well with the new owners trying to build trust.  I hope Bending Spoons does not turn out to be short for BS.

7 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

If you paid in May, and did so for  a yearly subscription, this price applies for a full year.

Contact support, ticket type Payment&Billing if you think something went wrong.

Thank you for your assistance, @PinkElephant, but there was no mistake regarding the annually costs, Evernote just increased the price by 67 (sixty-seven!) percent 😕

14 hours ago, DougFrye said:

I have been a paid user since 2012.   There has been defintely a lot of ups and downs with EN.

The biggest issue I have is the increase in price right after I renewed in March .  I pay in March and then they want another full year's subscription at the higher price in June. What gives other than greed to treat your customer base in this fashion.

I am relunctantly planning on paying and stay the course, but I my wife will not.  She is not a power user and just typically looks at the notes I share with her.

This move does not fair well with the new owners trying to build trust.  I hope Bending Spoons does not turn out to be short for BS.

I was one of the lucky ones as my Professional subscription was due on 28th May (only two days before the new pricing kicked in on 1 June).  I was charged the same rate as I paid late year £83.61p in the UK and I will not be charged any more until next year's Subscription is due on 28 May 2024.  Even then there is only around £25 increase for the year.

I had a paid plan and got an offer to upgrade to a higher tier for not much more money. I didn't read carefully and later found out my original plan was discontinued.  I just noticed the price of my current plan jumped from $70 to $130.  I was on the fence before the increase.  I'm out. If a free account doesn't meet my needs, I'll give One Note a shot.  I tried it once before and didn't like it much but I already have a Microsoft account.  Btw, $99 a year pays for five users to each have 1 TB of cloud storage and use of Microsoft's Office suite, including One Note.  I like Evernote but am not a power user.  I wonder how many like me stopped paying to use it.

Let me say this a little different about the price increase.  If I were just starting out with the free account then decided I like it enough to pay for it, I doubt I would pay $129.99/yr, I would look for other solutions.  Right now, I've got a TON of notes in there, back to 2009!  EN is obviously valuable to me, so it's almost easier to just say whatever and pay the new amount.  I don't think EN is thinking of new customers with a price like this.  Someone else mentioned OneNote and for $99/yr you get five users for the MS Office Suite, which includes OneNote.  It's a great deal, I have it for my family.  NoteJoy is another really good alternative.  They have four levels, free, $4/month, $8 & $12 (that's $48/yr, $96 & $144).  $4 gives me 5GB of storage, $8 gives me 10GB, and $12 gives me 20GB.  I'm honestly thinking of switching to them and would start with the $4/mo plan.  If 5GB isn't enough, I'll upgrade.

But as I said, if I were a new customer, I doubt I'd pay $129.99/yr for the way I use EN, as simply an online notebook.  

SRDJR,

I'm with you!! My account renews (69.99 to 129.99) on Aug. 1 I don't need any AI, and  the other new features. I'm fine. I want to stay, but go to the free - I can work with that - as long as my notes don't disappear, as I have been reading.

I really don't think, if I do leave, that MY notes should be locked into a proprietyary format (enex?). What the hay? Where can you use that to import to? 

Too bad the one option to export to OneNote just dropped off the face of the earth.

So, Evernote, make it possible to let me got to the free version, without losing my notes. If that's not possible, and you won't offer an open source export option, then I guess I'll just lose more than 12 years of stuff. I'm not a 'professional' user, just a run-of-the mill users.

This login, for the record, doesn't seem to tie in to my Evernote account. How the heck am I going to get a real response???

I've been an EN user since 2010, though have not been a frequent poster.  The corporate decision to relocate to Europe and the takeover does give me some apprehension,  But there are too many niches in a workflow that I am going to stick with EN with the increase (for me coming up in September) for at least another round.

Have been looking at alternatives, and at this point a top contender for me is Obsidian, but lacking some capabilities I find very useful (email capture, web page capture).  But maybe in a year, the situation may change.

On 7/6/2023 at 6:36 PM, richtpt said:

Let me say this a little different about the price increase.  If I were just starting out with the free account then decided I like it enough to pay for it, I doubt I would pay $129.99/yr, I would look for other solutions.  Right now, I've got a TON of notes in there, back to 2009!  EN is obviously valuable to me, so it's almost easier to just say whatever and pay the new amount.  I don't think EN is thinking of new customers with a price like this.  Someone else mentioned OneNote and for $99/yr you get five users for the MS Office Suite, which includes OneNote.  It's a great deal, I have it for my family.  NoteJoy is another really good alternative.  They have four levels, free, $4/month, $8 & $12 (that's $48/yr, $96 & $144).  $4 gives me 5GB of storage, $8 gives me 10GB, and $12 gives me 20GB.  I'm honestly thinking of switching to them and would start with the $4/mo plan.  If 5GB isn't enough, I'll upgrade.

But as I said, if I were a new customer, I doubt I'd pay $129.99/yr for the way I use EN, as simply an online notebook.  

I've made this point before... Evernote seems to have given up on attracting new paying users, and instead started concentrating on improving their revenue stream from the existing paying users who are deeply entrenched into its ecosystem. That already started happening before the new owners took it over, and they now seem to be making deliberate steps in the direction of rent-seeking. If they double the price and lose three quarters of free users and a quarter of paying users, they are still well ahead financially.

So yes, a new customer will likely not pay $130 per year, which is just over $10 per month. But a long term, deeply invested customer will easily justify paying $35-40 per month, because after all, a lunch a day costs more, cell phone service costs as much or more, internet costs more, and if they have tens of thousands of records in Evernote and built their entire daily routine around it, that service is on the same level of importance in their life. Heck, how many people you know who are buying a Starbucks latte every workday ? That's over $800 per year, if you do simple math. Evernote is still a whole lot cheaper.

So, unless the BS have a strategy to successfully grow the service - which the original company was rather unable to do - they still have a cash cow that can be successively milked for a couple decades, barring some major market disruption.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
7 minutes ago, Wanderling Reborn said:

But a long term, deeply invested customer will easily justify paying $35-40 per month

That is a pretty big assumption.  I can tell you it doesn't include me, and I'm sure others as well.  There are many other note services out there, and likely more coming.  I have a plan B ready if needed.  

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
10 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

Well, $40/month is way above what I’m personally willing to pay for a note app, and I’ve been using it for about 15 years.  

Who's paying $40 / month?  Last I saw,  the most expensive version was less than half that...  even less if you paid a year up front...

• Like 2

I started with 'Free' in 2009, and quickly saw the value in EN. I just mean, I used it often enough that the $1/wk was worth it. My account is Premium and last I paid $45 for the next year.  As Penultimate seemed to be abandoned, and simple things that should have been repaired were left broken, I started using Notability. Even though it's a different app with different features, many of those features replaced some that EN offered. Now I see the equivalent level  will cost me $130/yr. And I'll be spending some time figuring out how tough migrating my notes will be. I see members upset about a 50% increase. 45 to 130 is nearly 3X, a 189% increase. 

• Level 5

You were on a grandfathered plan - rebated Premium. You never paid the full price for a Premium account, or it would have taken you automatically to Personal 2 years ago.

That‘s why your math is crooked: You compare staying on a grandfathered subscription (with a raise as well) to a fully featured new Personal description.

In this raise there are 2 factors involved, one caused by the raise in subscription prices, the other by your own action to move to Personal.

Second you forget about inflation - a dollar 10 years ago had the purchasing power of maybe 1.5$ today. EN never increased prices for several years - they do now.

To wrap it up: The correct math in real terms would be 

A+B+C = new price

A is your decision to move from rebated old to fully paid new plan

B is the inflation that has happened meanwhile

C is the raise in prices, left over after deducting A and B.

And this is much lower than the 189% you claim.

We must not like it when prices raise. But we can at least do a correct calculation to see what it really means.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Wanderling Reborn said:

But a long term, deeply invested customer will easily justify paying $35-40 per month

I am on the Professional Plan, which is the second most expensive. Teams being the only plan that costs more, and even with the increase kicking in next year (I slipped in under the wire by 2 days as I only renewed on 28th May, two days before the increase for the existing subscribers kicked in and paid the same as last year £83.61p UK)  Even with the increase being applied next year this will only work out at an additional cost of less than £3 per month which bearing in mind the improvements over the last year in particular still make it excellent value.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, bmcl26 said:

I am on the Professional Plan, which is the second most expensive. Teams being the only plan that costs more, and even with the increase kicking in next year (I slipped in under the wire by 2 days as I only renewed on 28th May, two days before the increase for the existing subscribers kicked in and paid the same as last year £83.61p UK)  Even with the increase being applied next year this will only work out at an additional cost of less than £3 per month which bearing in mind the improvements over the last year in particular still make it excellent value.

2 hours ago, gazumped said:

So this works out at around $12 / month,  not $40??

I clearly haven't implied anywhere that the increases are $40, had I ?

It's just that here may well be enough deeply committed long term users that a $40/month or similar plan would not be that far fetched. After all, that's less than half the price of a Starbucks latte a day, and a whole number of users have no problem paying that.

My point is, there's basically several ways the company can grow the revenue and remain profitable and bring the new owners the return on their investment. 

a) Grow the number of paid users. I think it's obvious that that's not the direction they are taking.

b) Jack up the prices on existing users. Some will leave, many will remain, as long as the price increase ratio is higher than the user loss ratio, it's profitable. This is exactly what they seem to be doing.

c) Expand from consumer space into corporate space. They tried it. It didn't work out. Unless the new owners have a trick up their sleeve, it's not looking very promising.

d) Sell users' data. Not applicable here.

So, which way do you see them going ? They spend a lot of money, they need their ROI. 

• Like 4
6 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

You were on a grandfathered plan - rebated Premium. You never paid the full price for a Premium account, or it would have taken you automatically to Personal 2 years ago.

That‘s why your math is crooked: You compare staying on a grandfathered subscription (with a raise as well) to a fully featured new Personal description.

In this raise there are 2 factors involved, one caused by the raise in subscription prices, the other by your own action to move to Personal.

Second you forget about inflation - a dollar 10 years ago had the purchasing power of maybe 1.5$ today. EN never increased prices for several years - they do now.

To wrap it up: The correct math in real terms would be 

A+B+C = new price

B is the inflation that has happened meanwhile

C is the raise in prices, left over after deducting A and B.

And this is much lower than the 189% you claim.

We must not like it when prices raise. But we can at least do a correct calculation to see what it really means.

Do you know how we can tell if we're on a grandfathered plan? My membership renews in Sept and I'm trying to figure out if this price increase is gonna hit me, too. 

1 hour ago, cmartin44 said:

Do you know how we can tell if we're on a grandfathered plan? My membership renews in Sept and I'm trying to figure out if this price increase is gonna hit me, too. 

It should show for you under Account Level in Billing in your Account Profile:

image.png.66fba5f15be9f69a2b17c6944ed37bff.png

image.png.f8e3159d7c3b90b67532ce346e87b8aa.png

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
5 hours ago, Wanderling Reborn said:

So, which way do you see them going ? They spend a lot of money, they need their ROI. 

Depends on whether they see Evernote as a separate entity,  or part of the group.  Bending Spoons has,  I saw somewhere,  nearly a million users.  No doubt there's an overlap,  but if I were them I'd be trying to sell Evernote to those users and 'Spoons products to us. 

What we see at the moment (I think) is mainly fire-fighting;  they just got their feet under the table and started to deal with day-to-day priorities as well as realising that trying to manage a business something like a day's travel away from your home base is not viable.  I see no reason to think they're not looking for subscription business - that at least is a stable source of income.

The two chains they have around their corporate neck are backwards compatibility for Legacy users,  and the continuing use of bandwidth and storage space by free users.  They reallly have to do something about both medium to long term.  They're a business,  not a charity.

• Like 3

Actually, BS has over a hundred million users. Evernote, at the time of acquisition, had over 250 million. So the user base of EN was 2.5 times larger already. 

Also, just because some BS users are purchasing their video and photo editing software and some their 30 Day Fitness app, gives them very little advantage when trying to sell a completely unrelated product that isn’t easily bundled with their other products to create a synergistic experience. I am subscribed to Hulu, good luck with them trying to sell me a lawn treatment plan.

• Level 5

The vast majority of EN users are in a Free plan, and I have no clue how many accounts are actively used.

There must be plenty just opened to receive some shared notes, and others opened by accident, and never used again.

I think if you only count active accounts, numbers are already much smaller, and smaller still when counting subscribers.

Way to go …

• Like 1
17 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Shows you how oblivious I may be - I never realized I had anything 'rebated'. 

Do I have a decision here? I can stay on what you are calling "rebated Premium"? 

In the end, I respect your math, really, it puts things in a bit better perspective. But, from a customer perspective, it's strange to be grateful for "no increases over 10 years" and then suddenly see such an increase. Whatever the underlying reasons may be, I paid X, and unless my grandfathering continues (which now I am wondering), I'm asked to pay Y.  

• Level 5*

On the general question of subscriptions and customers vs users,  I'd say that if you bought something from a seller,  it's pretty routine these days for that seller to keep 'updating' you on the latest products available in hopes that if you're liking the current purchase,  you'll be more open to buying a new one.

Bending Spoons just effectively bought a multi-hundred-million user mailing list,  so I'd think they'll be looking to take some advantage of that.  Deals and discounts may be on the way in the future.  Meantime it would be embarassing to multiple-mail someone who bought 4 individual products at different times from different companies so I'd guess it's already someone's job to de-dupe user email addresses...

• Level 5

@JoeTaxpayer We are just other users here (except those with a staff badge). So it’s observation and speculation. 

We have no news about the grandfathered plans been abandoned, so there is probably an option to continue. But it may be sort of cloaked - the Free option is behind a „Skip trial“ text working as a button.

There will be a new price on the old plan as well. And the raise in percent will likely be steeper - because AFAIK all plans were raised by a similar total amount.

But as a subscriber you can use support - to get a definite answer.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, gazumped said:

They're a business,  not a charity.

About being a business: the question is what kind of business are they - a marketing business or a software business? 

About being a charity: "Since our first year in business, we’ve donated millions to charitable causes we believe in." (bendingspoons.com)

• Level 5

Donating part of your operating income to charity does not make your business a charity. It just proves you want to give something back to society (or you have a good tax consultant).

There is no „being a marketing vs. a software company“. If you don’t sell your product, you won’t succeed. If you don’t have a product to sell, neither.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
29 minutes ago, janndk said:

About being a business: the question is what kind of business are they - a marketing business or a software business?

Hard to be a software business without a marketing arm.

30 minutes ago, janndk said:

About being a charity: "Since our first year in business, we’ve donated millions to charitable causes we believe in." (bendingspoons.com)

They are supporting charities, not one themselves, and yea them for their support.

• Like 2

Read the handwriting on the wall.

They keep removing features that have been useful.

They are not communicating with the user base.

The new features are geared towards groups.

They are using Google Calendar (and this has been a Mac Product)

Evernote is moving to become a product for groups and offices that have deeper pockets.  I won't be surprised if there are no more single licenses.  The first thing a company does after a takeover is to reassure the customer base, and toss them a few bones.   They know that.  But they don't care.  We are no longer their customer.  But they are happy to keep collecting our money.

My license ended a week ago.  A few months ago, I compared plans and realized that $180 was not worth it to me, and I could live with the free version.  When I cancelled, I was told I could continue to use the free version. 

Then, when I opened Evernote, it would not give me access to my notes or data.  I could only get that by purchasing a license.  I don't care for extortion.  So I did so through Apple, with a 1 week free trial.  The next week will be spent exporting all of my data.

I hope I am wrong and you find that you can continue to use the program.  But it is always a good idea to keep your eyes open and have an exit strategy.

Be well!

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, Ryq G said:

Read the handwriting on the wall.

I think you have a faulty wall.

The original Evernote crew issued v10 as a 'work in progress' with a lot of features removed - many of them because they just weren't used enought to justify the work of including them.  In the two years and change since,  Evernote old and new have been adding back some original features plus many new ones - most specifically at the request of users.  The new management just bought into a multi-million user company 6 months ago - I think they may have been a little busy getting on top of everything that was going on,  though there have been some blog posts and the new CEO has been posting here.  I don't see any major move towards 'group activities' - other than those being prompted by users,  and most big companies are kinda concerned about their own,  or their staff data being kept on someone else's system - Evernote is not going to be on anyone's radar for a corporate product.

And Google calendar - a Mac product?

I don't know how you got confused into having to pay to log in,  but that's not expected behaviour - I have a free account for testing which is working quite happily.  I sympathise that you're unhappy and - as is completely your right - you're leaving. 

But while Evernote is going through a lot of corporate changes at the moment,  I don't see any aign that the sky is falling.  I've gone through a couple of corporate takeovers from the inside,  and trust me - it's not pretty.  I'm sad that we're (apparently) losing the experience of the existing team,  but Bending Spoons managed to develop software that's currently downloaded (I'm told) by 100 million or so users - they may even be good at this stuff...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
On 7/9/2023 at 1:20 PM, Wanderling Reborn said:

But a long term, deeply invested customer will easily justify paying $35-40 per month, because after all, a lunch a day costs more, cell phone service costs as much or more, internet costs more, and if they have tens of thousands of records in Evernote and built their entire daily routine around it, that service is on the same level of importance in their life.

Well, you might feel that way. But I don't. I don't have a lot of notes in Evernote, but it's a big part of my daily workflow. Nevertheless, at $35-$40 a month, I'd drop Evernote like a hot potato.

I think the thing about these discussions that is unfortunate is that none of us have the data necessary to know whether Bending Spoons' pricing is too high, too low or just right for market conditions. So why even bother? The market will do what the market will do. Bending Spoons will either succeed or fail with Evernote. 

All we can do as customers is decide for ourselves whether the current cost is justified. And those of us who choose to stay will have to do our best to assess the risk and our own tolerance for that risk, and act accordingly. We place our bets, and win or lose, life goes on.

• Level 5

The only way you can end up paying 30-40 bucks a month is when you buy subscriptions for more than yourself.

And then you are a business, and have a different way of computing operational cost vs. operational efficiency.

• Like 2

The most recent increase is ridiculous.

It is a 100 per cent rate hike.

You aren’t offering enough to double the price.

And yes you are upsetting long-time customers like me.

You need to rethink this.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, maharv said:

You aren’t offering enough to double the price.

Hi.  Strictly speaking "we" aren't offering anything - the Forum is mainly supported by users,  all of whom have complained about the increase in price.  The new owners however have a successful company based on products with similar subscription levels,  so I don't think they're willing to compromise just yet.  Even the highest level Evernote subscription is maybe a couple of coffees per week - the choice is less caffeine or less Evernote.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, maharv said:

You need to rethink this.

It's not gonna do any good. Have you seen some of the dumb sh*t I've posted in this forum? Those actually are my best thoughts. Thank God I'm just a user and not a Bending Spoons employee. Wanna see Evernote really go off the rails? Give me the reins. That'd be a total "hold my beer" moment.

• Like 4

Does anyone have an alternative? I am also willing to pay more and get a good or better working product. I use Evernote exclusively as a document repository for my household and two small individual companies.

On 6/28/2023 at 11:07 PM, RobertJLee said:

Maybe but they can't expect us to take a 50% increase and act as beta testers- they should be paying us or reducing the subscription.

I don't recognise your 50% increase I am on Professional Plan in the UK last year, and I paid £81 ($ 99) this has been the same price for the past three years.   I was fortunate in that my renewal date was 28th May, so two days prior to the new prices applying to Paid Subscribers, I again paid $99, this time £83 (the difference being the current exchange rate).  I will be subject to the new price next year of around £106.  so an increase of £23 pounds is nowhere near 50%.  But everyone needs to do their own evaluation of the value of the software,  do I  consider a daily cost of 23p per day good value?  I certainly do.  Will I still consider it a good value if this increases by around 4p per day next year?   Most definitely.

• Like 1

My mistake....40%

For the sake of clarity I don't really care what you are paying.

My last few years on professional plan have been £74.99

They now want £104.99

So an increase of 30 pounds a year.

40%

Enlighten me - what are we getting for a 40% increase?

Apart from a beta version of broken clapped out software?

Which other software developer could get away with this?

• Level 5

Bought milk recently ?

Ooooops, but it’s still 1 liter of the same as last year, 2 years ago, 10 years ago, and whenever. Why does it cost more today ?

We had stable prices for years, and a company loosing money on providing the product and service.

If you did your homework, you shouldn’t play being cheated and surprised here.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
35 minutes ago, RobertJLee said:

My mistake....40%

For the sake of clarity I don't really care what you are paying.

My last few years on professional plan have been £74.99

They now want £104.99

So an increase of 30 pounds a year.

40%

Enlighten me - what are we getting for a 40% increase?

Apart from a beta version of broken clapped out software?

Which other software developer could get away with this?

The price of Professional has been $99.99 for the past three years, if you only paid £74, you must have been on a discounted rate.

What I receive for my 23p a day are Calander Integration, Tasks, Home Screen, Backlinks Improved Sync and an app that works for me.  It may not work for you, and you are free to make alternative arrangements.  I do not recognise your "beta version of broken clapped out software"   Is it flawless of course not tell me a piece of Software that is.

44 minutes ago, bmcl26 said:

The price of Professional has been $99.99 for the past three years, if you only paid £74, you must have been on a discounted rate.

What I receive for my 23p a day are Calander Integration, Tasks, Home Screen, Backlinks Improved Sync and an app that works for me.  It may not work for you, and you are free to make alternative arrangements.  I do not recognise your "beta version of broken clapped out software"   Is it flawless of course not tell me a piece of Software that is.

Devil is in the detail 

74 POUNDS = approx 99 US DOLLARS= Normal rate

104.99 POUNDS = approx  137 US DOLLARS = Rip off

It is full of bugs

Does less than previous versions

and they want to increase price by 40%

• Level 5*

Doesn't matter what percentage increase,  or what total cost.  Either you get enough value from the product to stay with it,  or you don't - and you move on.  The amounts are complicated anyway with different grandfathering situations and local tax laws.  The new Evernote seems to have (I hope) re-evaluated the company from the inside and decided what they need to do to make it viable and technically stable.  They need time to do that.  Either you're willing to give them a chance,  or you're not.  Same choices apply.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5

@RobertJLee This discussion is completely beside the point.

You are charged X, if for thin hot air or anything that provides value is ENTIRELY up to yourself. Because you have decided to subscribe yourself - or was a gun pointed at your head ?

No value, drop it.

Valuable - watch for alternatives. Anything comparable with a better price - switch. Nothing similar - OK, you are doomed (if you choose to view it this way). Or blessed, because you can solve a problem, and it will only cost you some money.

• Like 1

I decided to cancel today and go the free route, and EN offered me 40% off. The new price is just a few dollars higher than last year, which I’m fine with. So I’ll be an EN subscriber for a while yet.

Once I run out of discounts, I’ll jump.

new to this forum but have used evernote for over 10 years.  Surprised by the increase given the bugs, the inability of tech support to address and the deteriorating quality.  I contacted support for excessive lag time in creating new notes, updating tags, or moving notes.  I have shared logs and note URLs.  Been close to two weeks.  No response, taking more time to create notes.  I have no problem paying for a service, but the service has to be reliable and the vendor has to be responsive when there are issues.  It does not seem that evernote cares about customers or resolving issues.

On 7/14/2023 at 4:56 PM, PinkElephant said:

This discussion is completely beside the point.

Ah sorry i didn't realise we had a forum adjudicator deciding what was on/off/besides point.

Sorry I will tow the party line from now on.....

Dream on.....

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
On 7/14/2023 at 5:34 PM, RobertJLee said:

Does less than previous versions

What is missing?

There are plenty of alternatives out there today. It's quite mind boggling (UpNote, Notesnook, OneNote, Obsidian, Notion, Craft, Bear, Apple Notes, Joplin, ... and the list goes on). I've tried a lot of them, but find myself going back to Evernote. Some are block editors, some are markdown editors, some do too little, some do too much (looking at you Notion), some are cheap, some are not. So I'm sure there's something out there that will fit your need, @RobertJLee 😀

• Like 5
  • Level 5*
On 7/16/2023 at 10:27 AM, info@drycoatingcompany.nl said:

All my comments and post of the price increase still not approved by moderator🤔

You managed at least three posts on the same subject.  I deleted one.  Please don't multiple post - you're only talking to the same audience each time...

• Like 1

I don't care about the price, honestly. I have gotten what I need out of Evernote for free for probably a decade and works great for me. If I had to start paying, I would.

This new version is terrible though. I just reverted to 7.14 and I'm not changing unless I have no choice. I would switch to another platform before using that mess.

Super annoyed with this price increase - which I describe as GOUGING

AND considering that there have been so many instances of late of content that I type into notes simply disappearing - AND whole notes that do not get saved, AND Evernote not syncing properly with the Brave browser via the web clipper, that I am seriously considering ditching Evernote once and for all. It would be a drastic and wholly undesirable thing to do but when you have no confidence that your content will even be saved, what choice is there really? 

The price increase is in essence extortion because it is not as if you can simply export your notes into another application. I have over 31,000 fully tagged notes. This means I am joined at the hip with EN for life whether I like it or not

• Level 5*
37 minutes ago, Bryanne said:

This means I am joined at the hip with EN for life whether I like it or not

Actually,  you're not - there's no extortion here,  because at any stage you can downgrade your account to 'free' (being cautious of the limitations on note size and access),  so you still have access to your current data.  You could then open an account with any competitor and use that for all new notes,  manually copying across any history that you need for that particular transaction.  It's also possible to export all notes to ENEX,  HTML or PDF files to use the features of a new provider to import your original data to a new account.

It's entirely up to you.  My take on the new owners is that they're a dynamic team with some grand ambitions to improve Evernote - hence the price increase.  I have enough faith in their expertise to have ponied up the new cost of my Professional subscription,  and I'll continue to give them the benefit of the doubt for the next 12 months at least.  If things are as chaotic then as they are now...  well this might be a different conversation.  But assuming things have settled down - I'll be quite happy to have paid a reasonable rate to help the company keep on going strong.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
49 minutes ago, Bryanne said:

it is not as if you can simply export your notes into another application. I have over 31,000 fully tagged notes. This means I am joined at the hip with EN for life whether I like it or not

Not necessarily true.  There are several options out there depending on your OS that will import from Evernote.  There is a lot of information in the forums on alternatives and people's experiences with them.

20 hours ago, Bryanne said:

Super annoyed with this price increase - which I describe as GOUGING

I can't help but wonder how many customers are at the free level? And what their cost is to keep these customers.

I've been paying for some time, $45/yr, and I don't even recall why I made the jump. Only that the paid version felt like it was worth every cent for what it offered. So in my case, using it for free for a time got me hooked. But, at $130/year, I'd have stayed with 'free' and kept looking for other solutions. Now, I own a NAS and self hosting my own cloud to replace Evernote leaves me enough $$ to also have real cloud backup to avoid a disaster. Asked, 'so, given they left the price the same for so long, what is a fair price today'? I'd say $75-$80, tops. Maybe it's an emotional thing, but cracking the $100 price point is tough. 

Edited by JoeTaxpayer
added thought
22 hours ago, s2sailor said:

Not necessarily true.  There are several options out there depending on your OS that will import from Evernote.  There is a lot of information in the forums on alternatives and people's experiences with them.

OK - thank you for that - perhaps I should do some homework then to prepare for a possible defection from EN - something I never thought I would do - but as they say, "never say never"

2 hours ago, JoeTaxpayer said:

I can't help but wonder how many customers are at the free level? And what their cost is to keep these customers.

I've been paying for some time, $45/yr, and I don't even recall why I made the jump. Only that the paid version felt like it was worth every cent for what it offered. So in my case, using it for free for a time got me hooked. But, at $130/year, I'd have stayed with 'free' and kept looking for other solutions. Now, I own a NAS and self hosting my own cloud to replace Evernote leaves me enough $$ to also have real cloud backup to avoid a disaster. Asked, 'so, given they left the price the same for so long, what is a fair price today'? I'd say $75-$80, tops. Maybe it's an emotional thing, but cracking the $100 price point is tough. 

That all sounds interesting. I like the idea of a NAS for use by home computers. I'm not sure about cloud self-hosting - a bit above my pay grade I feel.....lol------was it all hard to do? Perhaps you are a hard core techie?

And are you saying that with your new setup you can dispense with EN - but what app would you go to? 

22 hours ago, gazumped said:

Actually,  you're not - there's no extortion here,  because at any stage you can downgrade your account to 'free' (being cautious of the limitations on note size and access),  so you still have access to your current data.  You could then open an account with any competitor and use that for all new notes,  manually copying across any history that you need for that particular transaction.  It's also possible to export all notes to ENEX,  HTML or PDF files to use the features of a new provider to import your original data to a new account.

It's entirely up to you.  My take on the new owners is that they're a dynamic team with some grand ambitions to improve Evernote - hence the price increase.  I have enough faith in their expertise to have ponied up the new cost of my Professional subscription,  and I'll continue to give them the benefit of the doubt for the next 12 months at least.  If things are as chaotic then as they are now...  well this might be a different conversation.  But assuming things have settled down - I'll be quite happy to have paid a reasonable rate to help the company keep on going strong.

Thanks for your comments. It's a tricky one to be sure. Certainly if the price had doubled I would probably still hang in there - but be actively looking for alternatives at the same time

The problem with "workarounds" lies on the tagging side. Tagging is at the heart of using EN - as the content is used for writing and research purposes. Even Microsoft One Note is a lot weaker in that area I think. AND EN is unquestionably superior in importing content from the web

The way I am feeling right now is that I may well have to give up one weekly cappuccino and keep EN ...lol. Having said that, I WILL be expecting some of the syncing and stability issues (not to speak of content vanishing!!!) to be addressed by EN as a matter of urgency - as well as clear and obvious ongoing product development    

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
56 minutes ago, Bryanne said:

Having said that, I WILL be expecting some of the syncing and stability issues (not to speak of content vanishing!!!) to be addressed by EN as a matter of urgency - as well as clear and obvious ongoing product development    

You'n me both - and I believe they are actually doing that.   

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, gazumped said:

I believe they are actually doing that. 

Just like me: I am deeply convinced they are working on this with highest priority. But every solution and fix has to be tested and run through QA before being rolled out to avoid nasty surprises like we were confronted with lately. This ist the reason why the average time between two releases formerly was at least 3 weeks, lately - with BS-staff - tending to 5 weeks.

This on the other hand demands patience and trust on our side. Doesn’t help to cry loud for instant fixes…

• Like 3
On 7/10/2023 at 11:57 AM, PinkElephant said:

@JoeTaxpayer  But as a subscriber you can use support - to get a definite answer.

I wrote: "My acct is the old "Premium Member", last bill was $45.
Can you advise what my renewal price will be? I am seeing some large increases, and would like to know so I can plan ahead."

Reply: "I understand that you'd like to know if you're having an increase for your upcoming renewal. Thank you for getting in touch about this, let me help you.
Upon checking this on my end, I can confirm that there will be no price changes for your upcoming subscription renewal."

So, in the end, I'm sorry I didn't jump on your advice the minute I read it. Although, the exercise of trying to find software that replicates how EN handle PDFs was eye-opening. 6+ apps and none do it in a useful way. Now I just need to spend a few more minutes deleting all this useless other software.