Price increase and "new" Version

• Level 5

Sorry, but it seems they replaced some human support staff by AI - you know it’s sometimes „hallucinating“.

If I’m not completely beside the track, I would expect your price to raise to roughly 75$. But keep that support answer safe & dry, could be valuable for another 1 year discount. In the end they told ..

EN has never fully figured out which audience that it is catering for.  Being all things to all people in app's that are available across all platforms is difficult if not completely  impossible though EN does a descent job with the latter so long as sync issues are looked after. 

EN is not MS 365 or other similar multi collaborative app offerings and shouldn't try to be one.  I use MS 365 and it is like a collection of apps that are held together with relational sticky tape.   Just look at what they have been doing with OneNote since 2016 - it is a mess on Windows and worse on OSX/iOS. For me, I scan doc's onto MS OneDrive and that directory is a linked folder to EN. If EN are looking to implement an appointment and task management system that is linked to objectives along with notes then they could do worse that look at how Daylite presents its data. So could Microsoft.   

A real annoyance with EN for is the lack of a HANDWRITING capability within EN notes.  Gosh, how long does it take a company to get a message - we were complaining about this 10 years ago.

The real challenge for the new company IMO is EU laws and GDPR.  I work in a community where ENCRYPTION is a way of life and it's hard using EN because certain types of data need to be looked after within GDPR rules and EN is not very good in that regard. Enabling encryption is a difficulty in an app with live sync but if they don't achieve it then individual users could get into legal trouble - and likely EN itself.

I've renewed at the new price and I will give them a year and see where they are going with EN.  They have a lot to straighten out an it's unlikely that they will sort it in a single year - but they could show us that they have a solid direction and are in it for the long haul - and will get us there.  Their financial commitment thus far is impressive - purchase of EN and cost of layoffs and moving to Europe. Let's give them a chance.

• Level 5*
29 minutes ago, Pat @ChildWatch said:

The real challenge for the new company IMO is EU laws and GDPR.

You realise that Bending Spoons is a respected corporate based in Italy - which is an EU member - and has been operating for years under local regulations and GDPR?

On 7/25/2023 at 2:56 PM, Bryanne said:

And are you saying that with your new setup you can dispense with EN - but what app would you go to? 

That was the issue, choosing the app. I loaded Synology Note Station and quickly found that it did not show PDFs the way EN does. For me, that's a deal killer. Then Joplin. Better, but the view was cut off, i.e. the PDF image is there, but only 1/3 or so, instead of viewing the full page at a time. Raven, AppleNotes, a couple more, and no luck. 

I realized, I should have listened to the advice to contact EN and ask what my renewal rate was. The replied quickly that my price will not change. I am at $45/yr. Every member seem to be getting different offers. In my case, I think I'll be with EN for a while. (And still just shaking my head that this one feature is so tough to find)

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, gazumped said:

You realise that Bending Spoons is a respected corporate based in Italy - which is an EU member - and has been operating for years under local regulations and GDPR?

Sure - I'm living and working in the EU with all the implications of GDPR and data management - and I'm quite happy about that. Companies bringing data from the US legal environment often find the real implementation of GDPR to be expensive and challenging.  I really hope that EN makes it.

• Level 5*
28 minutes ago, Pat @ChildWatch said:

Companies bringing data from the US legal environment often find the real implementation of GDPR to be expensive and challenging.

Yeah - Evernote has been operating worldwide for nearly 20 years and at one stage was described as being the largest repository of personal information in the world.  I think they're managing...  :)

• Like 1
7 hours ago, JoeTaxpayer said:

That was the issue, choosing the app. I loaded Synology Note Station and quickly found that it did not show PDFs the way EN does. For me, that's a deal killer. Then Joplin. Better, but the view was cut off, i.e. the PDF image is there, but only 1/3 or so, instead of viewing the full page at a time. Raven, AppleNotes, a couple more, and no luck. 

I realized, I should have listened to the advice to contact EN and ask what my renewal rate was. The replied quickly that my price will not change. I am at $45/yr. Every member seem to be getting different offers. In my case, I think I'll be with EN for a while. (And still just shaking my head that this one feature is so tough to find)

Thanks for the heads up re Synology Note Station. I had no idea that existed and based on what I have read about it just now I think that could be a good option - for me tagging and clipping from webpages are more important than how pdfs are displayed and Note Station seems to do that well.

Although I guess you need to have a Synology NAS to be able to have access to that.

It seems the leading NAS brands have their own note apps and they do appear quite good so this makes me think that EN is going to really have to lift its game as those NAS apps will obviously keep improving. And also more and more people will presumably go for having their own personal cloud as costs come down. Folk will like the idea of increased storage space as well as freedom from potential insecurity with traditional cloud storage as well as lack of speed (especially for video and multimedia), not to speak of ongoing costs

So since you first mentioned having a NAS setup I have gotten all excited about using one ...lol...but so many options and so much information it is doing my head in ...lol....but the pain could be worth it. And now, the Synology Note Station is yet another variable in the equation....eek!!!!!

By the way, I was paying AUD (Australian dollars) $9.99 a month and this has increased to AUD14.99 - an exact 50% increase. However, I have juts looked at the current EN pricing table and the month to month plan (which is what I am on - for Professional) is now $22.49!!!!! A 125% increase. And even if you pay annually it still works out at AUD17.50 monthly. So at $14.99 per month I suppose I should be happy. So yes you are probably right about pricing varying for each member and it probably depends on how long you have been a paying subscriber. It is interesting though that they told you your rate would not increase AT ALL    

Just got a receipt for the Evernote annual renewal of my Personal Plan.  Last year $69 this year $129 - an 87% increase.  This seems quite excessive.  I've been a member for a decade, but I will be looking for another option during this year's subscription period. Since I just store a few hundred scans for sharing with others, I think I can do this much cheaper just using my own website. Too bad there is no option for low volume users.

On 7/27/2023 at 1:41 PM, Bryanne said:

Although I guess you need to have a Synology NAS to be able to have access to that. 

I bought it just over 2 years ago. I had a small WD NAS that had promise, got me hooked on the idea of a good NAS, but didn't quite have the power for what I wanted. After a lot of time researching, I went with Synology, and happy I did. My main use has been to use it as a Plex server (an app that let me stream my video collection to any TV with access to the app). I can also watch video when away from home, on a TV, my phone or iPad. Second use is to backup from my computers. Not cheap, but was worth it, in my opinion. You can look and see if it's for you. Many, many apps run on it, depending what you want it to do. 

• Level 5

Synology note station can be useful for some users, but it doesn't cover all use cases EN offers.

Plus you keep in mind it's local storage. To access it from the road, you need to set up a safe remote access, knowing how to. And you need to run your own backups.

For Synology users there are possibilities to install a true DMS as well. But again, it won't cover all use cases. Storing documents, fine. But adding comment and mix content like it is possible in a note - no.

Just a correction to my earlier post - my monthly subscription has gone from AUD (Australian dollars) $9.99 to $17.99 - an 80% increase!!! Someone in my brain I thought it had gone to $14.99

On 7/29/2023 at 10:37 PM, JoeTaxpayer said:

I bought it just over 2 years ago. I had a small WD NAS that had promise, got me hooked on the idea of a good NAS, but didn't quite have the power for what I wanted. After a lot of time researching, I went with Synology, and happy I did. My main use has been to use it as a Plex server (an app that let me stream my video collection to any TV with access to the app). I can also watch video when away from home, on a TV, my phone or iPad. Second use is to backup from my computers. Not cheap, but was worth it, in my opinion. You can look and see if it's for you. Many, many apps run on it, depending what you want it to do. 

Yep, I had a look at Synology - looks great. I also looked at QNAP - looks brilliant too. Wow, some amazing apps that comes with these NAS products including home security. I suppose I should look at what DAS's are all about as a compromise on cost to complete my due diligence....but really, I just love the idea of a NAS - as I say, I love  the look of all those juicy apps!!!

But I suppose we are getting off topic now - someone is no doubt about to pull us up on that - fair enough too I suppose...lol  

On 7/29/2023 at 10:51 PM, PinkElephant said:

Synology note station can be useful for some users, but it doesn't cover all use cases EN offers.

Plus you keep in mind it's local storage. To access it from the road, you need to set up a safe remote access, knowing how to. And you need to run your own backups.

For Synology users there are possibilities to install a true DMS as well. But again, it won't cover all use cases. Storing documents, fine. But adding comment and mix content like it is possible in a note - no.

yes true

• Level 5

QNAP and Synology are maybe the two biggest fish in the NAS pond - there are some more, like Terramaster. I would avoid WD Mycloud at all cost, and QNAP for the last 2-3 Years had a row of security incidents that make me doubt they have an eye on OS security.

Disclaimer: I run some stuff on Synlogies and know them pretty well. Of other brands I have more of an outside view.

In all cases somebody need to invest maybe 500$/€ for any reasonable starter package. Plus you need to have or develop a good knowledge of networking and server operational skills, because you will be your own admin and operator. Some basic Linux Know-how is not bad either, because all the operating systems are based on a Linux Kernel (except when setting up a Windows Server, but that’s another story). But it’s fun, no question.

3 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

QNAP and Synology are maybe the two biggest fish in the NAS pond - there are some more, like Terramaster. I would avoid WD Mycloud at all cost, and QNAP for the last 2-3 Years had a row of security incidents that make me doubt they have an eye on OS security.

Disclaimer: I run some stuff on Synlogies and know them pretty well. Of other brands I have more of an outside view.

hmmm good comments - thanks - maybe I will have another look at Synology - and also Terramaster 

• 1 month later...

Outrageous level of price increase. Thankfully Apple warned me so I'm out after years of using the service. $89.99 up to $134.99 in Australian Dollars. The subscription model is only ever good for the companies selling them. With so many different products expecting an ongoing fee somethings gotta give. For me, I start by culling the most greedy. Happy to pay a 5% but, farewell Evernote!

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
On 9/23/2023 at 7:19 AM, Nate28 said:

Happy to pay a 5%

The internet says the current rate of inflation in Australia is over 7% and there have been no Evernote price increases for several years.  The new level is a big jump,  but necessary to maintain the company.

• Like 2

I see the damage control brigade are out in full force, defending a ridiculous price increase for a product that hasn't changed substantially since I started using it in 2011. 2-3 "pebbles" as one of them put it, trying to hold back an avalanche of disgruntled users. Anyway, EN tried to charge me £80 for a subscription today, that's not happening. Nothing on this service has ever or will ever be worth that amount. Consider it cancelled.

2 hours ago, Tamaru said:

I see the damage control brigade are out in full force, defending a ridiculous price increase for a product that hasn't changed substantially since I started using it in 2011. 2-3 "pebbles" as one of them put it, trying to hold back an avalanche of disgruntled users. Anyway, EN tried to charge me £80 for a subscription today, that's not happening. Nothing on this service has ever or will ever be worth that amount. Consider it cancelled.

The changes in the past two years have moved it on from a simple Note Taking App to something that has massively increased its value to me.  O, and I have also been using it since 2011, but my use has increased exponentially with the recent improvements.  Over the years, like all software, it has had its glitches, but these are usually addressed fairly quickly.   I am maybe fortunate in that I have not suffered some of the more serious problems that others have experienced, and I put this down to being patient and letting the software sync after adding or editing content, coupled with a good Internet connection.  If you are not getting any value from EN, plenty of other apps may suit your needs better.  I certainly don't grudge the 23p a day it costs me as I receive much more value than that by using it.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

Reported …

Aw diddums

1 hour ago, bmcl26 said:

The changes in the past two years have moved it on from a simple Note Taking App to something that has massively increased its value to me.  O, and I have also been using it since 2011, but my use has increased exponentially with the recent improvements.  Over the years, like all software, it has had its glitches, but these are usually addressed fairly quickly.   I am maybe fortunate in that I have not suffered some of the more serious problems that others have experienced, and I put this down to being patient and letting the software sync after adding or editing content, coupled with a good Internet connection.  If you are not getting any value from EN, plenty of other apps may suit your needs better.  I certainly don't grudge the 23p a day it costs me as I receive much more value than that by using it.

That's nice. I haven't found use for any of the "new features," and I, like the vast majority of the userbase, just need a note taking app, which is what Evernote is supposed to be. As you said, there are other note taking apps that do what Evernote does without overestimating their worth and I will turn to them. 23p a day or not, an 80% increase in price is absurd for what Evernote is. Better hope you loud minority power users are enough to keep Evernote afloat as they alienate everyone else.

25 minutes ago, Tamaru said:

Aw diddums

That's nice. I haven't found use for any of the "new features," and I, like the vast majority of the userbase, just need a note taking app, which is what Evernote is supposed to be. As you said, there are other note taking apps that do what Evernote does without overestimating their worth and I will turn to them. 23p a day or not, an 80% increase in price is absurd for what Evernote is. Better hope you loud minority power users are enough to keep Evernote afloat as they alienate everyone else.

Each to their own, your opinion, not mine. Don't be so deluded that you think you can tell me what mine is.

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, bmcl26 said:

Each to their own, your opinion, not mine. Don't be so deluded that you think you can tell me what mine is.

I never claimed to? In fact, no one even asked for your opinion, period, lol.

2 minutes ago, bmcl26 said:

Nor yours

I'm exercising my right as a paying consumer of this product to feedback on its price. I'm sorry if this upsets a loud minority of power users who have nothing better to do than desperately come to this company's defence. You people have managed to respond to every critical post in this thread with deflections. Here's a collective WHO ASKED? from all of us.

Just now, Tamaru said:

I'm exercising my right as a paying consumer of this product to feedback on its price. I'm sorry if this upsets a loud minority of power users who have nothing better to do than desperately coming to this company's defence. You people have managed to respond to every critical post in this thread. Here's a collective WHO ASKED? from all of us.

You are entitled to your opinion, I am entitled to mine.  I am not desperately coming to the company defence merely pointing out that I reap a higher value than I pay for the amount it costs. If this does not suit your narrative tough.  I could not care less.  Good luck with your new Software whatever you decide on.

Just now, bmcl26 said:

You are entitled to your opinion, I am entitled to mine.  I am not desperately coming to the company defence merely pointing out that I reap a higher value than I pay for the amount it costs. If this does not suit your narrative tough.  I could not care less.  Good luck with your new Software whatever you decide on.

Thanks mate. And you enjoy your overpriced, overbloated software.

• Haha 3
  • Level 5

Somebody may not have found use of new features. This means they have not been found, or they have not been searched. Somebody may have a similar app, so the need is covered.

Never mind, nobody is forced to use EN, and anybody can use it „just for note taking“.

The „emotionally engaged“ users show a tendency to speak for all / the majority/ a large group of users, without knowing.

The more experienced users point out that there are no 2 identical use cases, so there are no 2 identical value perceptions.

This plus a different evaluation of the own personal time leads to a lively discussion.

If it goes beyond, Forum Rules of Conduct are a good place to start.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
5 hours ago, Tamaru said:

Aw diddums

That's nice. I haven't found use for any of the "new features," and I, like the vast majority of the userbase, just need a note taking app, which is what Evernote is supposed to be.... Better hope you loud minority power users are enough to keep Evernote afloat as they alienate everyone else.

You claim to speak for a vast majority, and to denounce a loud minority. Have you got any statistics? Research? Or just your own opinion? Which you have a right to express, as do the those who disagree, but it remains an opinion. Lots of loud voices in these forums claim to represent a majority of unhappy users. But support forums are venues to offer complaints (among other things), and so they attract complaints. They don't provide an objective overview of opinion.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Tamaru said:

I'm exercising my right as a paying consumer of this product to feedback on its price. I'm sorry if this upsets a loud minority of power users who have nothing better to do than desperately come to this company's defence. You people have managed to respond to every critical post in this thread with deflections. Here's a collective WHO ASKED? from all of us.

As this is mainly a user Forum, your Feedback would be better sent to Evernote.

1 hour ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

You claim to speak for a vast majority, and to denounce a loud minority. Have you got any statistics? Research? Or just your own opinion? Which you have a right to express, as do the those who disagree, but it remains an opinion. Lots of loud voices in these forums claim to represent a majority of unhappy users. But support forums are venues to offer complaints (among other things), and so they attract complaints. They don't provide an objective overview of opinion.

I have common sense. Enough common sense to know that for any company, it isn't the small dedicated base of power users that keep the lights on. It's having mass appeal, it's a numbers game. And I also have enough common sense to know that when you inflate the cost to the customer up by 80% while offering little in return that is appealing to that mass market, they're going to go elsewhere en masse, as I have done after 12 years of being a customer. These are not grandiose claims, I'm not breaking new ground. If someone doesn't think your product is worth the price you've valued it at, they're not going to buy it. If you can't see the truth in that, I don't know how to help you, but I can't think of a bigger waste of my time than going out and doing research and finding statistics to prove the sky is blue, except maybe having 21,293 posts on a forum for a notetaking app.

Enjoy dealing with posts like these from various people for the next several months :)

• Haha 2
  • Level 5*

As with many of the threads dealing with price increases,  this one got to the insults phase pretty quickly.  Difficult to understand how one group who don't see the value of something are massively offended by the mere existence of those that do. 

Regardless; we do have (some) standards around here,  so please keep the discussion polite and based on real facts. 

If you're leaving - G'bye;  no need to announce your departure.

If you'd like to stay - try your luck with Support;  they may have some sympathy with those who face a massive increase.

If you want to complain please do it to support - we don't care:  we're mostly other users who have accepted,  or are already paying the new higher rate.  Our lack of sympathy is what you'd expect.

If you want to get abusive - please don't.  Posts outside the Forum Code have been known to disappear suddenly.

Have a nice day.

• Like 4
  • Level 5
6 hours ago, Tamaru said:

I have common sense. Enough common sense to know that for any company, it isn't the small dedicated base of power users that keep the lights on. It's having mass appeal, it's a numbers game. And I also have enough common sense to know that when you inflate the cost to the customer up by 80% while offering little in return that is appealing to that mass market, they're going to go elsewhere en masse, as I have done after 12 years of being a customer. These are not grandiose claims, I'm not breaking new ground. If someone doesn't think your product is worth the price you've valued it at, they're not going to buy it. If you can't see the truth in that, I don't know how to help you, but I can't think of a bigger waste of my time than going out and doing research and finding statistics to prove the sky is blue

So no, no facts, and no willingness to obtain any. No doubt, people leave when the price goes up. But how many leave, and what the size of the power user base is, is guesswork without numbers. Just like that supposed "loud minority" of power users -- a quick read through any of these grievance threads will show who's loudest.

OK, I'm letting it go. Certainly you'll find "just a note taking app" that works best for you at the best price. If Evernote decides to be more than that and charge accordingly, there seems to be a market for that as well.

• Level 5*
17 hours ago, Richard.Negri said:

Did we get warnings that the annual rate was increasing this much and I missed it?

There was a warning in April,  and you would have been sent an individual notice that your subscription was going up.  I'm staying,  because Evernote is worth it to me.  If that's not you,  then there are -apparently-  lots of other similar apps around...

• 2 weeks later...

So what is the consensus view re. viable alternative? Have tolerated this sub-optimal situation (unintuitive UI, unreliable sync, sheer basic stuff like all my notes not downloading despite me selecting that option, lack of Watch OS app) a while now, but not interested in paying ~60% more - simply not justified; nor am I interested in bankrolling a bunch of 'features' I don't need, when the ones I do either are unreliable or entirely absent. And this coming from a user since 2011 - sad.

• Level 5

Up to yourself, you can’t outsource your decision making to the forum.

For starters identify your „best alternative“, which may or may not be better, but is the „next best of all“.

Then you don’t have an infinite search area of possible options, it’s down to A or B.

If you still can’t decide, this may help:

🪙

2 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

It’s a coin, the ultimate digital decision maker of all times.

Ah, I see - humour, cute.

Actually, I gladly pay for things that provide value.

Perhaps some input from those who don't work for Evernote might be useful.

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, RoamingNick said:

So what is the consensus view re. viable alternative?

There really isn’t one.  I think I’ve seen every single alternative app loved by some and despised by others here.  Everyone has a different view on what is important to them.  There is a lot of input on the forums and elsewhere on the internet.  Read some of the comments and try some of the other options and you will better know what will work best for you.

• Like 1

There is missing some low budget subscription - no i get offer with 40% sale and what I saw 15 EUR / month with sale extra 11 EUR / month.  and for something what I dont need (20gb uploads...) and before i paid 4 EUR/month ? I will move to free subscription or change app ...... so sad 😞

• 2 months later...
On 6/28/2023 at 11:20 AM, RJLUK said:

I think they are about to realise what they bought- and users will not pay for something that does not work.

is there a way to export articles and files to another service?  I do not think so. Evernote has made this impossible to trap users in their system.  It's not worth 124/year but many of us are imprisoned in evernote with so much content that we do not want to lose.  Just switching to another service is NOT as easy and simple as you suggest. It sucks to be here.

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, justnewlistings said:

is there a way to export articles and files to another service?  I do not think so. Evernote has made this impossible to trap users in their system.  It's not worth 124/year but many of us are imprisoned in evernote with so much content that we do not want to lose.  Just switching to another service is NOT as easy and simple as you suggest. It sucks to be here.

There are several export options in Evernote that can be used to import your data into another app.  You are most definitely not trapped.  

• Like 1

not from the videos and articles I just read and watched.  there used to be an import tool in OneNote that is retired.  Another Evernote2OneNote does not work with large notebooks thanks to evernote.  There are numerous threads on various sites noting the challenge of any large export to another service.  If you have one put it here sincerely and please.

• Level 5*

OneNote is problematic but that is on their import process, not Evernote’s export process.  Some report success, others don’t.  There is no perfect replacement for Evernote, but there are many to consider depending on what is important to you and on what devices you want to use it on.  Options, in addition to OneNote, that are often mentioned here include: Joplin, Obsidian, Notion, Upnote, Bear, Devonthink, Apple notes, and Google Keep to name a few.

• Like 1

I have switched to Papleress NGX. It has only advantages. Free, open source, you can host it yourself, files are not stored in a database, so you are also independent, and much more that is better. 
I can only recommend the migration to Paperless NGX to everyone. 
I will now migrate all my customers.

• Level 5

Installs in Docker, for example on a NAS.

Which means get a NAS (able to run Docker), get the drives and learn the tunes.

The first position is 400€, or upwards, the drives maybe 200-300€, plus some hours to set it up.

What you get is a capable document dump. With OCR, structured filing, quite OK.

It‘s not a notes app, and documents only.

• 3 months later...

nooooo, those prices are for professional users, they forget about home users, I don't need 10gb of transfer per month, I just need to be able to make unlimited notes. 3, 4 or 5€ I could pay monthly, not more money.