Restore Applescript Support - Answer: not yet available

DTLow

Idea

• Level 5

Electron is what teams choose when their boss comes running in shouting "guys, we also need a desktop app!". It saves them from having to hire native app developers, since the entire thing is just a shell wrapped around javascript which is the same core codebase that the web app runs on. No changes needed and Poof, out pops a "native" app for Web, Windows, Mac, Linux...

The dark side of course is that the app runs 10-100x slower than real compiled code, and lots of native platform features are not available- AppleScript, native Notifications, Spotlight, etc. Not to mention the GOBS of memory it eats up. Slack is a great example of this- uses 1-2GB of RAM, takes ages to launch, and runs like molasses in winter.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I understand from a single post here and some posts on other forums that Applescript is not supported in V10. For those that have worked out automations for Evernote using their rich script library this is a huge shock. I wanted to confirm this and create a place for people to comment about this. CMD+J has become muscle memory for me and is such an incredible time saver.

As much as I would love to update and pray that all the quirks of the old app have been addressed these pail into insignificance if my filing by applescript will no longer work. I'm not interested in maintaining two versions and their associated databased either.

Until now I have stuck by Evernote for over 10 years and this has been the first indication that I probably should have done what many power users did a few years ago and jumped ship. I still hold on to the believe that Evernote could be the best experience for me provided all the features of Evernote 7 for Mac are implemented into V10 including rich support for scripting and CMD J. I'm sure there are others that I will find out only after a bit of use. 

I'm more than happy to pay for the top tier of Premium as I get a huge amount of value from Evernote with its current set of features.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, finnmatti said:

Since the new Evernote is built on Electron, I have to say my hopes are somewhat slim that it will be actually delivered. Electron itself at least has no AppleScript support atm and from reading the issue ticket on Github it’s not a trivial task to implement support for it.

I have no knowledge of the Electron thing   
I only know that I will not switch to the new software until there's Applescript support

• Like 7
22 hours ago, zrstoo said:

The new version installed on my Mac this week and I was disappointed and caught off-guard by the lack of this functionality.  Any advice on how to rollback to the prior version?  (short of recovering from backup?)

Indeed. The "Evernote Legacy" app is available here: https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314-Install-an-older-version-of-Evernote

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Level 5*
18 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

That is import folders - yet another feature missing in this version.

Actually import folders was never an Evernote/Mac feature
We worked around this with Mac Folder Actions and an appleScript (sigh)

Just registering my/our request for this, as long-time (paying) Evernote customers. AppleScript is vital to our use of Evernote, so much so that we're now immediately investigating alternatives. 

But we'd prefer to stay with Evernote and just have this continue to work with AppleScript. Here's to hoping! 🤞

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Yes I got caught off-guard as well. It upgraded and I didn’t realise we would lose functionality.

Like a lot of you, I’m a 10 year Evernote user and am a bit sick of all of this "UI tinkering", and no new features. Just taking old features away. So sad. (I’m still holding a torch for Atlas).

Yes I know they say there is all this back-room engineering going on, but sorry Evernote, we all live in the front room. To me it is just UI tinkering for no good reason.

Back to legacy I go. Thanks for the link.

I had trouble with this as well. 

com.evernote.evernote works for Evernote Legacy on my machine. Not sure if it makes a difference but I delete the new Evernote from my system, even though I think you can run them side by side.

The script I use in Hazel is:

tell application id "com.evernote.evernote"
	activate
	create note from file theFile
end tell

This script watches a folder for files added and then activates.

• Level 5*
On 12/8/2020 at 10:48 PM, Balmain_Boy said:

I will do some searching for what the legacy evernote application ID might be. 

Or use   tell application "EvernoteLegacy"   (application name)

• Thanks 1

I think we are not going to see Apple Script at least in the way it was.   Bridging Electron with Apple Script is too mac-specific and I dont think that Evernote is goig to invest that time.

What we can see is general automation via Javascript scripting, a la Omnifocus with Omni Automation, that is leveraging Apple-approved Javascript engines already available on Macs and iOS.

This would be a win for EN, as scripts would be portable across platforms.  

Evernote should keep supporting the Legacy version. My old laptop broke so had to re-install Evernote as legacy and it says on the site that it is only there as a temporary option until the full feature set is ready in new version.  It's a total dealbreaker for me if Evernote doesn't have Applescript support. My entire workflow is dependent on it. (along with Hazel). Like others here I'm a premium user & been with Evernote for over 10 years and will definitely  be forced to go with another option.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
3 minutes ago, Scooter said:

Unfortunately the answer is clearly "No ...

There's still no "clear" answer   
I still have a faint hope from the original release notes and "not yet available"   
but there's no guarantee   
I'm still using Legacy and Applescript - I will only switch to a script supported app

• Like 1

Yet another reason why Write once debug everywhere is a bad business proposition for PAYING users.....  

The business model fundamentally SHIFTS the cost of Application development from the actual company (and their Dev Engineers) to their users who see in turn see higher cost to support the vendor's application abstraction while at the same time producing diminished application functionality with the loss of native OS service (in the case of Evernote this would be loss of AppleScript, Spotlight, Text Services, the list goes on......).

I lead engineering teams and worked at Apple for 13 years (6 months before Steve came back to 2 years before he passed) and remember all the pitches/ excuses I heard from Developers when I was in Evangelism/Developer Relations. Including such hits as:

1. "This GOOD for you because it will allow you to GAIN feature parity with our Windows app..."  
  2. "By consolidating our development efforts, we will be more productive (once we get over the hump of our brand new platform/architecture) and we will be able to innovate much faster having just one platform to support"...

The reality of all this has been and LIKELY always WILL be the following. We will use this "windfall" over time to DECREASE our investment in even THIS platform(s) so that frequency of these "new" innovations (setting aside for a moment how many "innovations" really are just reimplementing OLD features that weren't available launch of the new platform), will ACTUAL be no more frequent then before consolidation. While likely no more  "innovative" then what could be implemented on the previous Native platform offering, and completely eliminates any advances made to the native OS platform that they would have potentially "gotten for free" by using standard system calls (rather then the hacked up abstraction)

Now don't get me wrong. IF you are offering a free (to the user) service then this represents a very different business model (just ask Facebook or Google). In this case, as a long time Product Manager, your PRIMARY client (wether you admit it or not to yourself) is NOT the end user. This doesn't mean that you don't care about the actual consumer of your service, but when push comes to shove and trade offs need made you can guess who's interests will more often then not end up below the feature cut line. Again this is to be expected from a MASS market solution that often times is supported by indirect funding (funding that is not DIRECTLY derived from the end user) including

• Society's current rage... Advertising supported services
  • Branded Applications (once all the rage)
  • Contracted/custom platform applications, where the platform vendor plays for development (Pay2Play) Think Platform Exclusives in the gaming industry.

I won't go into an ethical discussion about the merits of each or even the value of direct funding vs indirect, honestly in a capitalistic system there is a place for many approaches. I will however say though that anyone who has EVER worked in Engineering or Business will point out to you that decisions on features and trade offs will/HAVE to be made based upon the business model/funding source you built you Business upon. No one ever had (or ever WILL have), an infinite amount of resource so one must make the best use of what they have to further the goals of their Business.

The reason I think you will find so MANY Mac users frustrated and unwilling to stick with Evernote any further (as a 10+ year user myself, who has PAID for "Premium" since 2015) and provided several in person rounds of feedback over the years to Evernote's CAB (customer advisory board) is the following. I (like the profile of many Mac users who pay a premium for abetter product) do see value in a paying for a quality service, and am willing to pay for that PREMIUM experience. Unfortunately what I have gotten over time has become LESS and LESS valuable as functionality, and cost have increased. Unfortunately I like many have reached the end of my road here. Today I HAD to install the "Legacy" (aka NATIVE) Application to get back support for a number of custom automations and functions I have that use Evernote via AppleScript (Sal would certainly be happy- apologies for the inside Apple joke). I also got back thankfully Spotlight indexing/integration support for my years worth of content.

This likely represent step one for me....   Step 2, given that Evernote is more focused on being a mass market low (to perhaps no) cost supplier of services, I will/have been looking to migrate off the platform over the next year or so (just renewed in Jan). While I may not be happy about this, it's clear the writing has been on the wall for a while. Quite honestly I SUSPECT this in part is what drove Management's decision to try to cut expenses. Unfortunately it seem they are falling into an accelerating downward spiral. Stoked by disheartened paid users who leave, resulting in less funds for development, with leads to even worse user experiences, until a critical mass is achieved. It's truly a shame as there was so much potential here and in the many ideas I know they had once considered. So now only time will tell if there will remain a sufficient paid customer base to support the platform should Evernote even attempt to try rebuilding the trust they lost or if they will become this decade's PointCast...   

• Like 3
  • Level 5*

I have not been on this board for quite a while -- basically since Evernote made the terrible decision to switch to using Electron instead of a native Mac app.  I will NEVER switch to the EN Electron app.

I wrote this to @gbarry in Nov 2020, and it continues to be true:

Just so you, the dev team, and senior management know, EN Mac without scripting support is worthless to me, and many others.  I have over 200 scripts and macros that are required for my many daily/hourly workflows using Evernote.

I can't wait for another year or two to see whether or not you decide to add scripting support back in.  So I have already started the process that will soon lead to me moving all of my Notes to another app.  Most likely that will be DevonThink Pro.

IMO, Evernote has made two HUGE mistakes after making us wait two years:

1. Using the Electron IDE.
  2. Dropping AppleScript support.

I wish you personally the best of luck.  I am sorry to leave Evernote after 10+ years, but you leave me with no choice.

@Ian Small, I am so, so, disappointed in, and upset with, you.  When you took over as Evernote CEO, I thought great things were ahead.  I could not have been more wrong.  

Goodbye, Evernote.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1
On 5/19/2021 at 5:43 PM, DTLow said:

I rewrote my scripts to target notes in Devonthink   
Apple Notes is a poor replacement for Evernote

Devonthink looks like an exceptionally capable app, but I've grown used to Evernote's multi-device solution and zero-effort syncing. I'm sure I could make it work, but Evernote - for me - still offers a more compelling suite of features. Mostly this is laziness - I don't want to have to think about, or manage, my notes app. The very fact that I've been driven to post on this subject annoys me because I'm burning time I should be using for real work.

That said, if discussions like this either a) help Evernote move things forward, or b) help us identify a range of viable alternatives, it'll have been worth the effort.

Apple Notes certainly lacks features of Evernote, but for some of my use cases (mainly around text generation on the go with no-hassle multi-device syncing) it's a good solution.

@EverNote Not sure if anyone reads/answers these posts, but the fact that your customers are actively discussing alternative services on your message boards is a sign that you've got something wrong. Maybe there's a group of users who love the new app and are thrilled by the Electron solution. Or maybe everyone's a bit upset that their OS-specific features have gone. Either way, prioritising development efficiency over user experience seems like a strange choice to me, especially when it hobbles your app's performance so dramatically. 

• Like 2

I was using AppleScripts on my touchbar to create notes in predefined folders and with predefined tags.

This really helped my workflow and since upgrading to v10, none of them work. It looks as though this hasn't been built yet.

Is this the case? Should I rollback?

Thanks

• Level 5

Just back from a quick search on the Electron web site ( https://www.electronjs.org/  ).

Have only found one reference where AppleScript was applied, to collect data from iTunes. This does mean some sort of support exists, but it seems not to be very popular. To integrate it, some code needed to be injected into the app that was developed with Electron.

The question is whether the EN team ranks the cross-platform equality higher than the embedding into the OSes the app is running on. I would not count on seeing AppleScript Support any time soon in ver. 10.

Bets are to be placed now ...

2 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Have only found one reference where AppleScript was applied, to collect data from iTunes.

And what you have found is something to run applescript on another app - namely iTunes - but this is not something that allows you to offer your own interface.

• Level 5

Nobody probably knows, and I am just another user, so I am not telling "guys, scripting will never be available".

But from what I saw when searching is that currently scripting and Electron is not dancing on the same party. Who relies on it should stick with "vintage" for the time being.

It is possible for Evernote to come up with some sort of workaround if they see fit, but it would seem to defeat the point in using electron in the first place, which is that you don't have to do that kind of bespoke OS work anymore, one codebase will work for all. Personally I'd be very surprised to see Applescript turn up, indeed I'm assuming it won't. I think the best we can hope for is that some of our individual use cases get replicated via use of new online API. 

Legacy apps are fine for a while but they don't tend to get updates so it's not a long term solution.

• Level 5*
14 minutes ago, bishopblaize said:

Legacy apps are fine for a while but they don't tend to get updates so it's not a long term solution.

Here's to the short term   
In the long term, .... we all die

Thanks for the input . . . bummer.  I had a very nice system with an app called Hazel that allowed me to scan or drop a file to a designated desktop folder, and then it would be automatically placed into the Inbox of Evernote.

• Level 5

That is import folders - yet another feature missing in this version. At least they promised to bring it back.

My skepticism about Apple script is founded on the fact that I have not found any other app based on the Electron framework that supported it.

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

I would not count on having Apple script coming to the new version any time soon, maybe never.   

There are two lists; No Longer Supported and Not Available Yet    
Applescript is still on the Not Available Yet list

>>If you need it, stick with the legacy version

Good advice
I'm using the legacy version and will not be upgrading until AppleScript is supported

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, mpacker said:

Applescript is not supported in V10

There's a missing word here... not yet supported.  We'll find out over the course of the next few months how many of the 'old' features make it to the new,  and luckily the old version  will remain active for at least that long,  so you can continue your current workflow in the meantime.

1 hour ago, mpacker said:

I'm more than happy to pay for the top tier of Premium

Be careful what you wish for?  Just sayin...

On 10/16/2020 at 11:17 AM, PinkElephant said:

I would not count on having Apple script coming to the new version any time soon, maybe never.

If you need it, stick with the legacy version.

The new version installed on my Mac this week and I was disappointed and caught off-guard by the lack of this functionality.  Any advice on how to rollback to the prior version?  (short of recovering from backup?)

I was just notified of a release of a new beta.  I’ve gone back to the Legacy version so I can use AppleScript.  Without going through the hassle of adding and then deleting, have there been any changes in the new beta that will allow AppleScript use?  Or if someone could tell me a “simple” way to automatically send a note to the Inbox or a specific notebook from Mac Big Sur..

Thankis.

Thank you all for this information. Automatic import into Evernote from my mac was the key functionality i used. If there is not a solution soon to this I will also look for another service (10 year premium payer). 

I have read your suggestions about using the legacy version which I have downloaded. Sorry I am not a programmer so can someone help me to know what I should do so my apple script will send to the legacy application? Script below. 

on run {input, parameters}

repeat with this_item in the input

set the item_info to info for this_item

activate

create note fro m file this_item

end tell

end repeat

return input

return input

end run

• Level 5*
11 minutes ago, Balmain_Boy said:

what I should do so my apple script will send to the legacy application?

The script line     tell application id "com.evernote.evernote"
is a problem since the app is now called    Evernote Legacy

• Like 1

Thank you both for the replies - tried replacing it with "evernote" but unfortunately didn't work. I will do some searching for what the legacy evernote application ID might be. 

Thanks to DTLow who gave me the solution for application ID. Works well - great help! 

tell application "Evernote Legacy"  

Adding my voice of displeasure to this thread.  I have a number of Hazel workflows that then go and dump data into Evernote for me.  This shift and lack of support for AppleScript is unacceptable.  Will try Evernote Legacy, but this premium user may start looking for other solutions.

• Like 3

In an effort to go paperless, I created a desktop folder (on my Mac) that automatically exports content to Evernote.  Worked with drag-n-drop or with pdfs from my scanner.  A week ago is stopped working.  Maybe the problem is the most recent Evernote update?? (v.10.5.7 build 458420 public).  

This folder was (I think) managed by an Applescript.  When I looked at the script, it gave me a syntax error on the word note.  I'm not a techy, so not sure what's wrong.  Here's the script

set the item_info to info for this_item

activate

create note from file this_item

end tell

end repeat

return input

return input

end run

What is going wrong.  I just need the functionality, don't care if solution is from automator, applescript, Evernote, or something else (but prefer free instead of paid).  HELP!!

• Level 5*
On 12/27/2020 at 12:07 PM, George Hatcher said:

Is it possible or no longer possible?     Please, how to?

1 hour ago, Speakforth said:

This folder was (I think) managed by an Applescript.  When I looked at the script, it gave me a syntax error on the word note.  I'm not a techy, so not sure what's wrong.

Import folders on a Mac were previously processed using an script (Applescript)
I merged your post with the AppleScript request discussion   
As discussed, Applescript is not yet supported in the Version 10 product

Also, we've been told Import Folders are a pending feature for implementation shortly
This may not require a script

Thanks, DTLow, for clear and concise answer, and to others for weighing in.  50%+ of my Evernote usage is scanning so I can dispose of paper.  I'm going to rollback to a legacy version until such time as Evernote support Applescript or some other ability to scan directly to Evernote.

Evernote Legacy Version: https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314-Install-an-older-version-of-Evernote

Don't mean to pile on, but I use Applescript with Evernote a LOT.  I mean, about 80% of what I put into is automated.  I've been using (and LOVING) Evernote for years, but if we are losing applescript support, I'm going to have to seriously debate finding another solution for most of what I do.  I put a lot of work into making it work well for me.

• Like 2

Dear community,

I was experimenting with Evernote and AppleScript and ran into strange errors, AS telling me that it can't handle my code regrding creating new notes from files... and such.

After a little research I noticed that there seems to be no dictionary (AppleScript Editor Open dictionary Shift+Cmd+O) Evernote in Applications appears grey.

I've been trying both versions, from EN website as well as EN installed from the AppStore.

Serveral clean uninstalls and reinstallations too, I can't get my scripts to work.

I also tried "tell application id" as to specify the absolute application path, no difference.

Does anybody have similar issues or know how to solve?

Thanks very much in advance & happy new year!!

Thorsten

• Like 1

As far as I know apple script is not supported by EN v10 so far, not clear if coming back or given up.

If your workflows depend on this you might use the old legacy version, even side by side to V10, see: 

• Level 5*
14 hours ago, Thorsten1979 said:

I was experimenting with Evernote and AppleScript and ran into strange errors

I merged your post with an ongoing discussion    
As you discovered,  Applescript is not yet supported by the Version 10 product     

Well, I installed The Legacy version side by side with v10 on my Mac.  I am not a heavy Applescript user, but the few I have, I really depend on.  Legacy is working for now anyhow, but would really like to see native support.  AppleScript is a huge feature to simply remove, without any alternative.

Paying customer since 2009. It might be time to seek an alternative.  One that supports a Linux client and AppleScript would be a start.

-Eric

Curious if there is any news on this.  I'm not going to quit using Evernote, but if Applescript is not coming back I need know.  I"ve been working on scripts for Devon Pro.  Not in love with that product, but it works.  The longer this question goes unanswered the more likely I'll get my new system up and working - at which point it won't matter anymore.  I'll probably downgrade to the free version of Evernote and move on.

• Level 5*
11 hours ago, Scooter said:

Curious if there is any news on this.  I'm not going to quit using Evernote, but if Applescript is not coming back I need know.  I"ve been working on scripts for Devon Pro.  Not in love with that product, but it works.

No news on implementing Applescript integration   
Applescript is critical for my workflow and this prevents me from switching to Evernote Version 10

Also looking at Devonthink; Apple only, no cloud/web access   
I'm liking it - got all my scripts converted

I have an extensive Evernote environment built in AppleScript, and just learned (upon installing on a new Mac) that it is now dust in the wind. I could go back to Legacy (and probably will for a time), but clearly that’s not a sustainable path forward. It sounds like the right thing to do is to just rebuild the interfaces in Electron. So, with that in mind, has anyone found a nice “getting started” document for scripting the new version in its native tongue?

• Like 1
  • Level 5

AFAIK the new app is written in JavaScript. I doubt you can write your own „add ons“.

AppleScript is currently not among features that are officially discontinued.

However on a search I found no Electron based app that says anything about Apple script (or even scripting in general). Either it is too trivial to mention, or the framework does not have this ability.

On 2/21/2021 at 11:44 AM, DTLow said:

Also DT has no master database maintained on servers, and no web access

Correct about the servers because DT uses the MAC file system.  Thus regular backups which everyone should have (ie Time Machine) you have a backup. Additionally, sync to your IOS devices is via iCloud.  While not a backup your info is in the cloud.  Re Web access you are correct unless you spring for the most expensive version of DT.

Note that using the MAC files system then you have access to all your notes via the FILES app. 

I've been an Evernote Premium user for nearly 10 years. Recent changes/upgrades to the application have diminished its value to me. The lack of scripting support for automation (this issue) is one as well as the ongoing bug where after a day or so all notes show as blank and the only solution is to close and relaunch the application.

Evernote has been great but the current iteration and future direction of the product is not aligned to my needs. I'm investigating alternatives and may just create something for myself.

Hi.  I recently noticed that my scanned documents were not being deleted after being imported into EN.

After reading posts on this topic, I noticed that this functionality (applescript automation of EN) was lost after the upgrade to 10.0.

I did not see any feedback from EN staff regarding when this functionality would be restored.

Does anyone know the status of Applescript automation of EN in version 10+?

Will it be restored?  When will it be restored?

If any exists, what is the current Applescript / EN API?

Hi.  A while back I noticed that my Fujitsu ScanSnap scans into Evernote were not working correctly.
Looking at the Apple Script below, can anyone tell me what might be going wrong.
I think that one or both of these scripts were, probably copied from this forum, and, at one time, working. 

Thanks. 

// Possible Evernote Script #1
(*
        set item_info to info for this_item

activate
            create note from file this_item
        end tell
    end repeat

return input
end run
*)

//Possible Evernote Script #2
(*
on adding folder items to thisFolder after receiving newFiles
     delay 5
     repeat with newFile in newFiles
          tell application "Evernote" to create note from file newFile
          tell application "Finder" to delete (newFile)
     end repeat
end adding folder items to
*)

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, organizing said:

Looking at the Apple Script below, can anyone tell me what might be going wrong.

The problem is that Evernote Version 10 has no support for Applescript integration
I merged your post with an ongoing discussion   

fwiw  I'm still using the Evernote Legacy product which supports the scripting

Is there any "Official Voice" from the company here?  I'd just like a yes or no at this point.  It's tax time, this would be a good time to switch my system if I have too.  I would rather keep using Evernote, for this, but no automation is a deal breaker.  Please, if the answer is no we don't intend to ever implement applescript, that will be disappointing, but fair.  What I don't want is to go though the effort of a big switch to another service and then have you pop up with applescript support in the summer.  I just want to know what to do.  Honesty would be appreciated more at this point than even the answer I don't want.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Scooter said:

Is there any "Official Voice" from the company here?  I'd just like a yes or no at this point.  It's tax time, this would be a good time to switch my system if I have too.  I would rather keep using Evernote, for this, but no automation is a deal breaker.  Please, if the answer is no we don't intend to ever implement applescript, that will be disappointing, but fair.  What I don't want is to go though the effort of a big switch to another service and then have you pop up with applescript support in the summer.  I just want to know what to do.  Honesty would be appreciated more at this point than even the answer I don't want.

Hi.  You're (kind've) asking the wrong question.  @Shane D. is an Evernote employee and the Administrator of this space.  But he's not necessarily authorised to disclose when or whether some features will come back.  Evernote so far have confirmed that some features are no longer supported - local notebooks for one - but Applescript has not been mentioned.  I'd be very surprised if it were not reintroduced once they stop developing the app quite so frenetically,  but that may not be for a while.  Your choice as to renewals...

Ok.  It's been months and there is no word.  I'm taking this as "No, we are not, and have no plans, to implement Applescript."  I would have been overjoyed to have the answer be "Yes, it's coming back as soon as we nail down our feature set."  I would have moved on, but been understanding if they had said "No, we are sorry, but respect our customers enough to be honest with them"  Unfortunately the answer is clearly "No, but we are going to string you along as long as possible to milk you for every last penny before you move on."  Either way, if no Applescript it was going to reduce my Evernote use.  But now I'm reducing it...  and I'm disgruntled and feeling used.  Bad form Evernote.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
23 minutes ago, weyer117 said:

Yet another reason why Write once debug everywhere is a bad business proposition for PAYING users....

Does your post have anything to do with the "pending" Applescript integration?

We were informed the initial release of the Version 10 product would be missing this feature

54 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Does your post have anything to do with the "pending" Applescript integration?

We were informed the initial release of the Version 10 product would be missing this feature

1 hour ago, weyer117 said:

Today I HAD to install the "Legacy" (aka NATIVE) Application to get back support for a number of custom automations and functions I have that use Evernote via AppleScript (Sal would certainly be happy- apologies for the inside Apple joke). I also got back thankfully Spotlight indexing/integration support for my years worth of content.

Yes, as I mentioned in my posting I have a number of workflows built on AppleScript that are broken and finally drove me to install the Legacy application today (after trying to make due with the "current"/Electron application for nearly a year) to restore previous functionality required.

I've just installed Evernote on a new MacBook Pro and was pretty disappointed to learn that it still needed to use Rosetta. Then I discovered the move to Electron, which also explains why my Applescripts stopped working. I'm behind the times, it seems.

I haven't experienced any particular problems with speed with Evernote 10; maybe I'm just lucky.

That said, the performance difference between Evernote 10 and Apple's own Notes is vast. I'm sure that's partly because I have 10k+ notes in Evernote and only a few hundred in Notes, but the difference is so stark that even when Evernote is 'fast' it feels extremely slow by comparison to Notes. Interestingly, I see similar differences on an iPad Pro.

Doubtless the decision to move to Electron was taken long before Apple announced their silicon transition. I'm sure it looked like a logical choice - develop once, deploy everywhere. Great for developers, lousy for users.

Maybe things will improve when Evernote migrates to Electron 11 with support for Apple M1. Do we know if that's happening?

In the meantime, I have two workarounds for my AppleScript-related issues:

1. Like everyone else has pointed out, Evernote Legacy still works. I've installed this specifically to run AppleScript, which I only use once or twice a week to create a few dozen templated notes. Then I switch back to Evernote 10, and 
  2. Notes. I re-wrote my scripts to target Notes instead of Evernote. This might not work for everyone, and honestly I don't like having notes in two apps, but the speed of Notes has to be seen to be believed.

My wishlist is short; I want AppleScript support restored to Evernote, and I want an M1-native app that prioritises user performance. Big asks, I know, and maybe the Mac user base is never going to be big enough to justify the effort, but I'll be keeping my eyes open for an Evernote replacement until this gets fixed.

• Like 3
  • Level 5*
45 minutes ago, James Evans said:

I re-wrote my scripts to target Notes instead of Evernote.

I rewrote my scripts to target notes in Devonthink   
Apple Notes is a poor replacement for Evernote (subjective on what you consider important)

>>I don't like having notes in two apps

Likewise

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
On 5/23/2021 at 5:18 PM, JMichaelTX said:

I will NEVER switch to the EN Electron app.

I have no Electron preconceptions but
I will NEVER switch to an app that lacks scripting integration

Less drama; the Evernote Version 10 product simply does not address my requirements   
I continue to use the Evernote Legacy product,    
and yes - at some point in the future I will need to switch products

In the interests of sharing, I have actually switched over to DayOne. Now I am as surprised as you might be to hear that, because "DayOne is a journalling app and not a general note taking app." But you know what, it works really, really well. The sync is awesome and fast. I was running Evernote Legacy for a while but it lost me when it kept duplicating notes and creating conflicts all over the place. That never happened in 10 years before the re-written “improvement”. I never ever had sync issues or conflicts until the new software.

DayOne actually has a lot of the features I really need. Evernote had some, but took some away, and others have never had yet.

DayOne feature overview:

• Timeline view
  • Images view
  • Map view of where notes are created (remember Atlas?)
  • Calendar view (something Evernote sorely needs)
  • Multiple journals (journals are like notebooks)
  • Tags
  • Metadata
  • Integrated with calendar and photo library, so you can see a holistic view of a day
  • Integrations with IFTTT

So I have been using it solidly since December and have not missed Evernote once. DayOne’s sync is really fast, Evernote was slow and cludgy. I have barely opened Evernote in 6 months, and it would only be to retrieve something I needed.

Now the DayOne note editor is not as advanced as Evernote and it doesn’t really do tables, but it supports markdown if you use that. I can live with its deficiencies as everything else is just awesome.

Now migration will be a pain. I have 19,000 notes from over 10 years in Evernote. But there are a couple of clever scripts around and worst case it will just become a multi-year migration project.

Check it out. You might be surprised. I was as I didn’t originally see it as a replacement at all, but it is. And I use it everyday, which is the ultimate test of whether something is user friendly.

• Level 5*
On 5/25/2021 at 1:24 AM, James Evans said:

a sign that you've got something wrong

We all know some features/services are no longer supported by Evernote's v10 product     
This does not mean they've got "something wrong"     

If these features/services are important to me, I simply need to use a different product
I'm not into the wailing and gnashing of teeth

• Level 5*
On 12/28/2020 at 11:29 AM, Speakforth said:

In an effort to go paperless, I created a desktop folder (on my Mac) that automatically exports content to Evernote.  Worked with drag-n-drop or with pdfs from my scanner (Import Folder)

Just a followup on the import folder post since Evernote's failure in implementing a solution
Instead of using   tell application id "com.evernote.evernote" ... which is no longer supported   
We can use            tell application "Finder" to open file ... using application ...

• Like 1
On 5/19/2021 at 6:37 PM, James Evans said:

I've just installed Evernote on a new MacBook Pro and was pretty disappointed to learn that it still needed to use Rosetta. Then I discovered the move to Electron, which also explains why my Applescripts stopped working. I'm behind the times, it seems.

I'm curious how you installed Evernote since Electron itself was available for Apple Silicon at launch. Did you install from the App Store, download from the website or migrate from an old machine?

Add another pro subscriber to the list of those upset at the lack of script support for Mac users.  I will be using the Legacy until I can no longer.  Will it work with an M1 machine?  I guess at that point of upgrade I will have to find another platform for notes.  It was never great that the mac version didn't support this natively but to take a hammer to the script usage was not a great idea.  The lack of communication here doesn't inspire confidence.   I'll be researching the alternatives mentioned here. 

Just got an email from Evernote saying that they "noticed" me still using Evernote Legacy with a survey link to explain why.  My response?  Lack of AppleScript support.  Hopefully someone reads it and takes notice.

• Like 1

Count me as another user / developer disappointed in the loss of AppleScript. My favorite script was one that created a "Meeting Minutes" note in Evernote from an Outlook for Mac Meeting record, complete with attendees, location, and agenda. Big timesaver because I am in multiple meetings per day. Now I'll need to find another solution, either another automation path or (sigh) replace Evernote with something else.

• Level 5*
16 minutes ago, rsworden2 said:

disappointed in the loss of AppleScript

To be clear,  it isn't necessarily a 'loss',  it just hasn't happened yet.  I could understand that before Evernote give users access to mess with their API,  they want to make sure that it's complete with all its new features.  And of course in the meantime you can always install the 'old' Legacy version and operate as before...

13 minutes ago, gazumped said:

To be clear,  it isn't necessarily a 'loss',  it just hasn't happened yet.  I could understand that before Evernote give users access to mess with their API,  they want to make sure that it's complete with all its new features.  And of course in the meantime you can always install the 'old' Legacy version and operate as before...

Other people here have posted about problems with synchronizing etc. with the Legacy version. Anything labeled "Legacy" isn't a viable long-term option, though I may give it a try. No indication from Evernote that AppleScript will be coming back If the underlying Electron engine doesn't support AppleScript because it's platform-independent, I'm not optimistic we'll ever see it.

• Level 5

It is possible to install legacy as a Basic user as well. Just think about your strategy using it - it will count as a device, so better skip v10 if you decide yourself to use legacy on your desktop. This leaves 1 client for a mobile device.

LDLow, 
I have 2 questions:
1) Is the follow AppleScript line telling Evernote to open the desktop version of Evernote or the Browser version of Evernote;

tell application id "com.evernote.evernote" activate

2) The script below looks like it should be used with Evernote Legacy, in which case, how would I complete "using application"? Would it be "using application Evernote Legacy" or application id  "com.evernote.evernote"?

On 5/27/2021 at 11:41 AM, DTLow said:

tell application "Finder" to open file ... using application ...

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, sheryl handzel said:

Is the follow AppleScript line telling Evernote to open the desktop version of Evernote or the Browser version of Evernote;

tell application id "com.evernote.evernote" activate

The 'tell" is directed to the desktop Evernote (Legacy) app, and will activate on the desktop

>>The script below looks like it should be used with Evernote Legacy, in which case, how would I complete "using application"? ... tell application "Finder" to open file ... using application

Any application can be used to open a file; it works with both Legacy and Version10
using application "Evernote"      
or
 using application "EvernoteLegacy"

• Thanks 1
On 7/25/2021 at 9:30 AM, DTLow said:

The 'tell" is directed to the desktop Evernote (Legacy) app, and will activate on the desktop

>>The script below looks like it should be used with Evernote Legacy, in which case, how would I complete "using application"? ... tell application "Finder" to open file ... using application

Any application can be used to open a file; it works with both Legacy and Version10
using application "Evernote"      
or
 using application "EvernoteLegacy"

The easiest way is to change any script that targeted older versions of Evernote to use Evernote Legacy. For example, 

tell application "Evernote"
	set theSelection to selection
	set theNote to ((properties of item 1 of theSelection) as note)
	set linkURL to note link of theNote
	set the clipboard to linkURL
end tell

can be changed to work with Evernote Legacy by changing tell application "Evernote" to tell application "Evernote Legacy". By the way, this script creates a "local" link to a note in Evernote, that can be pasted into documents on the same machine to reference the currently selected note.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
5 hours ago, Edouardisen said:

Is Apple Script supported in the last version 10.34.4 ? (it is the 14th of April 2022 now)

AFAIK the situation is still

On 6/30/2021 at 7:57 PM, gazumped said: