REQUEST: Evernote for Linux

• Level 5*

So basically the substance of your discourses is:

Use Linux? Do your own Evernote.

Thank you all for helping me getting the point.

I think it is a fair question you had about why there is no Linux support from Evernote. But, I guess we have answered you the best we can. Evernote has decided at this time not to create a Linux client. Instead, they have decided to offer a well-documented API, and support for anyone who wants to develop an integration. A third-party developer has stepped in with an integration, and from what I have seen, he has done a great job with it. Of course, there is the Web interface as well. So, you have a couple of options. Maybe someday Evernote will change their mind. I don't know. All we can do is comment on what has happened in the past, and what is available now.

So why Evernote is not supporting it or backing it in an informal way?

Providing a laptop/money to the developer or for example premium accounts to developers that helps him.

I don't have a problem with Evernote's support of NixNote. I think direct financial support would open a can of worms. If you were Evernote, how would you decide what projects to fund? If it is by user count I'll bet there are a lot of other projects with a lot larger user base.

I've read the suggestions here for a Kickstarter fund. It is flattering (and tempting) but I don't want anything like that right now. With the way things are today I can walk away from the project at any point and do something else without any financial impact. Another benefit is that I don't have to hear "I paid for this and I demand feature X". I enjoy that freedom more than the money I expect I'd earn. I've also used a lot of free programs in my lifetime so it feels pretty nice to give a little something back. Maybe some day circumstances will be different but right now my children are not starving (all they eat is peanut butter anyway) so I'm happy.

Besides, If I accepted money it would become a job instead of a hobby. Jobs are boring. Hobbies are fun. I have enough jobs.

I've been working on a native C++ rewrite that should hopefully overcome a lot of the problems with the current Java version of NixNote. So far the new client is looking pretty good (for an alpha version anyway). The memory usage is only a small fraction of the old client and it is much much faster at viewing notes. The few people who have used it have even said it isn't as ugly! It is early, but it looks promising so far.

• Like 8

I know that the request for a Linux client has been posted before, with the Evernote team responding that they are not currently interested in it.

But on the other hand, I know that Evernote is a business like any else and so I'm wondering the following.

How many paying customers would be needed for the Evernote development team to consider developing a client for Linux?

• Level 5*

On the basis that it would take (thumb in the air) 200,000 USD to create a completely new product, and each new user is 'worth' around 5 USD per month - but that's not profit that's just income - you'd be wanting a take-up of somewhere between 5,000 and 50,000 premium accounts.

Please note

1. I don't speak for Evernote in this; entirely my own opinion.
  2. I have no idea what percentage of income goes to R&D.
  3. Covering the cost may not be the problem - what if they have other productive plans for the next 24 months?
  4. Even covering the cost may not be the only issue - aren't there a lot of forks in the Linux pie?

• Level 5*

I know that the request for a Linux client has been posted before, with the Evernote team responding that they are not currently interested in it.

But on the other hand, I know that Evernote is a business like any else and so I'm wondering the following.

How many paying customers would be needed for the Evernote development team to consider developing a client for Linux?

Good question. My guess (this is only a guess) is that Evernote would probably be more interested in mobile clients, because that is where a lot of customers first encounter the platform. Also, there is already a third-party Linux client, and its user base is probably relatively small and unlikely to grow much (sorry, but that is just how it looks to me, as much as I like Linux). I don't have any numbers for any of this, of course, and I am not an employee, so I have no idea if what I am saying is accurate or not.

I suppose, if Linux users want to see the client, they'd have to (as you suggest in your post) justify the expense.

Just found this thread after having problems with Nixnote and after browsing the forums, I think I have finally got Evernote with Wine working, just waiting for it to sync approx 8000 notes.

Ideally I want a Linux client, but this will have to do for the moment as I use Evernote on a daily basis for my business.

Thanks baumgarr for everything you are doing and looking forward to working to the rewrite :)

Debbie

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5

Well, I'm now using (for other reasons) Windows 7 under KVM under RHEL 6.3. So my Windows client testing is a litle different now. I also just installed Skitch for Windows the same way. So I guess I'm out of the NixNote and WINE games - for now. But a native Linux client remains the best long-term solution (probably based on NixNote).

• 4 weeks later...
  • Level 5*

Im not paying up for a membership next time in lack of a En linux client

Just to be clear, there are options already (). They are third-party developers who are using the API -- the same way that a client developed by Evernote would. As far as I know, Evernote has not expressed any interest in developing its own client for Linux.

• Level 5*
Im not paying up for a membership next time in lack of a En linux client

As long as you don't need Premium Evernote services, that's fine -- it's part of the Evernote deal, after all. But, as GrumpyMonkey points out, there already is an Evernote client for Linux, it's just not been developed by Evernote. If you want to be a true Linux supporter, great: support baumgarr.

• Like 1

I tried all of the 3 party apps. They cant compare to the real evernote app.

I didnt pay for premium because of the extra feature, but for support En :)

But there is allways another app for note using.

Someone wrote something about money, En is now have millions of users, i dont thing it is money

Steam is being ported to Linux now, maybe they thing there is a new market for users

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

It's about trust and commitment. I am not about to pay a company that does not support my platform at work, simple as that. It 's not that I die or use Wine if Evernote never makes it to Linux, I 'll just search for altenative solutions.

• 2 weeks later...

Evernote is the last program keeping me tied down to windows. Come on!

I feel for you man. For a while I switched back to windows because of that... well actually it was partly also because I have to learn visual basic(but I now use mono instead of .NET).

Having said that I'd like to draw everyone's attention, Everpad is the new kid on the block!! I am running it from linux mint 13 cinnamon, and I am very impressed... except for it's editor lacking a lot of formating options, and it's speed, and it's strange quirks. Compared to the evernote client from windows or mac this is far from perfect but it has a lot of promise :D

• 3 weeks later...

what are you waiting for ???

linux must remain the only one OS to write a native client?

The desktop is dead. Tablet sales are expected to exceed notebook sales in 2013. Linux is great, making major inroads into the server space. Linux also helped keep Windows honest, but never made much headway into the desktop space. To be fair, the Mac does not have a fantastic presence here either, some 8%.

Looking forward, Android and Apple own the future of the user interactions in the form of tablets. If we want to nitpick, EN has an Android client. Android is Linux. Therefore, technically, EN has a Linux client, not that it helps any.

I do my daily work on a Solaris desktop, so I feel your pain. I type this post on my Solaris desktop. The chances of EN developing a native Solaris client are vanishingly small.

Fortunately, I have VirtualBox and Firefox.

• Level 5*

a tablet is for geek and for free time, i don't think a student will write his thesis on a 10' screen with touch keyboard

I am a student writing my dissertation right now on an iPad (I am pleased to say that I am coming to the end of another chapter today). I have an external keyboard now, but every evening I wrtie a bit with the virtual keyboard as well. Pages is quite robust. I will admit to being something of a geek, though not one with much free time.

Evernote are not and do not have any plans to build a Linux client. They have been very explicit about this.

idea can change during the time

4 years ago the situation was different

...cut...

I am a student writing my dissertation right now on an iPad (I am pleased to say that I am coming to the end of another chapter today). I have an external keyboard now

...cut...

a tablet + external keyboard + cases = more depth than an AirBook ? not less expensive but less powerful

• Level 5*

Ideas can change over time, but Evernote are very careful about talking about the future, they very rarely talk about their roadmap.

They have explicitly said that aren't going to build a linux client.

The market share of Linux on the desktop is tiny, in their shoes I wouldn't bother either.

Ideas can change over time, but Evernote are very careful about talking about the future, they very rarely talk about their roadmap.

They have explicitly said that aren't going to build a linux client.

The market share of Linux on the desktop is tiny, in their shoes I wouldn't bother either.

market share .....

after blackberry os client .....

i bet there are more premium users using wine or unofficial client under linux + some mobile device than with microsoft desktop + blackberry os mobile

• Level 5*

It's not really worth an argument - I'm just telling you what they have very explicitly said.

Remember though, Blackberry still has a reasonable footprint in the enterprise (where MS rules on the desktop), so I'm guessing your bet is miles out.

• Level 5*

Remember also that Evernote can tell which clients are being used by which users (though maybe not which users are using, say, the Windows client in a virtual machine or under Wine), and would be in a position to know how big the Blackberry market is. Remember also that the Blackberry client is a development effort that's already happened, probably most of which was when Blackberry was a lot stronger in the marketplace. Whereas a Linux client would most likely be a whole brand-new port, with maybe some code carry-over from some other existing client, depending on which language they choose. Regardless, I see this as unlikely at this stage, knowing what they've said, and also the fact that there are now two third-party Linux clients out there.

• Level 5*

a tablet + external keyboard + cases = more depth than an AirBook ? not less expensive but less powerful

You said a student wouldn't write their thesis on a 10" screen with a touch keyboard. I am saying that I am a student and I am writing my thesis on a tablet, though most of it is with the external keyboard.

iPad 499 + 69 + 29 = 597

Macbook Air = 999

iPad battery = 10 hours (maybe 8, depending on usage)

MBA = 5 (maybe 4, depending on usage)

iPad = handwriting

MBA = no handwriting

iPad = reading (portrait mode)

MBA = difficult to read a book, for example (no portrait mode)

iPad = less powerful, BUT, how much power do I need to write this sentence?

MBA = more powerful, and a great computer, BUT more than needed for some tasks

Remember also that Evernote can tell which clients are being used by which users (though maybe not which users are using, say, the Windows client in a virtual machine or under Wine), and would be in a position to know how big the Blackberry market is. Remember also that the Blackberry client is a development effort that's already happened, probably most of which was when Blackberry was a lot stronger in the marketplace. Whereas a Linux client would most likely be a whole brand-new port, with maybe some code carry-over from some other existing client, depending on which language they choose. Regardless, I see this as unlikely at this stage, knowing what they've said, and also the fact that there are now two third-party Linux clients out there.

look the 2009/2010 stats:

http://blog.evernote.com/blog/2011/01/04/evernote-2010-a-year-in-stats/

evernote was launched in 2008.

Blackberry os was never, and looking at today will be never,a great marketplace for a software house.

Look at desktop stats,

linux users are in web users and in the windows users (wine and virtual machine).

No stats for other clients.

I have an android phone and an android tablet, why i must not have a native client for desktop too?

I don't write notes while playing with mobile devices, why i can't use native client while working with my linux laptop?

Like blackberry users, they have their mobile and desktop client !!!!

Probably i never become an evernote premium user, and probably i'll migrate first to have 50 notes (i have 17 right now)

or just wait "google notes" or "google buy evernote" to have my client and become a premium user

You said a student wouldn't write their thesis on a 10" screen with a touch keyboard. I am saying that I am a student and I am writing my thesis on a tablet, though most of it is with the external keyboard.

iPad 499 + 69 + 29 = 597

Macbook Air = 999

iPad = handwriting

MBA = no handwriting

simply i was saying you are using your ipad as an airbook with external keyboard

i am an system admin, on my tablet i have a 3g module, a vpn client, a remote desktop client, an external keyboard (with two usb ports), the whole *nix tools needed to interact with *nix platform and it is ok when i am on holiday

but work with the ultrabook is more comfortable as you can imagine

just keep in mind, to pretend a tablet will replace a notebook maybe impossible or very uncomfortable in some circustances (maybe with next tablet generation)

Check it out!.

http://www.ubuntu.com/devices/phone

Evernote on an Ubuntu Phone

Plus

...video cutted ...

Check out at time 3:45. The app is called Evernote, and not Everpad.

just look here https://github.com/nvbn/everpad/blob/develop/data/everpad-note.png

and wait evernote ask to everpad to change icon, if not the icon is licenseless and everyone is free to use it

• Level 5*
I don't write notes while playing with mobile devices, why i can't use native client while working with my linux laptop?

You can. There are two of them: NixNote and EverPad. What you cannot have -- at least at this time -- is a native Linux client made by Evernote, because they have chosen not to write one. It's really that simple.

You can. There are two of them: NixNote and EverPad. What you cannot have -- at least at this time -- is a native Linux client made by Evernote, because they have chosen not to write one. It's really that simple.

you tried NixNote on windows if i good remember,

i tried both ... one java the other is a python client ...

baumgarr made a great job with nixnote, and is fast with a small number of notes (just read the nixnote forum)

what a linux user need is a native - fast - C++ memory optimized client

baumgarr was writing one, but the develope is stopped

P.S. something tell me evernote is already working on this

simply i was saying you are using your ipad as an airbook with external keyboard

i am an system admin, on my tablet i have a 3g module, a vpn client, a remote desktop client, an external keyboard (with two usb ports), the whole *nix tools needed to interact with *nix platform and it is ok when i am on holiday

just keep in mind, to pretend a tablet will replace a notebook maybe impossible or very uncomfortable in some circustances (maybe with next tablet generation)

I have been in this game long enough to have seen the same pattern play out over and over. Ten years ago I predicted that mobile devices would erode the PC market. My wife laughed at me, stating that nothing mobile could entirely replace the PC. She was right, but today she uses her phone and tablet for almost everything.

Before that, people said that a laptop could never do everything a desktop could do, and they were right. Yet look around and ask how many desktops have been sold lately relative to laptops.

Before that, people that a PC could never do everything a scientific workstation could do, and they were right. Yet look around and tell me how many scientific workstations you see.

Before that, people said that a mid-range computer could never do everything a mainframe could, and they were right. Yet again, look around.

Can a tablet do everything your ultrabook does? Of course not, but it doesn't matter. The way you interact with the machine will change to take advantage of the tablet's strengths.

• Level 5

@martyscholes Careful about that "mainframe" comment. :-) Seriously, horses for courses - whether we're talking about servers or clients. People will continue to use a wide variety of devices for their myriad computing needs. One of the promises I hold Evernote to is I can get at my data on whichever device. Even PSVita :-) - assuming the web client works. Anyone tried it?

Note: In saying "web client" I do strongly prefer native ones, but I'll take what I can get.

• Like 1

...baumgarr was writing one, but the develope is stopped

Not stopped, but slowed down (I was actually working on it last night). My real life has conspired to keep me busy and I still need to support the old Java client until the C++ one is a suitable replacement. :-)

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

look the 2009/2010 stats:

http://blog.evernote.com/blog/2011/01/04/evernote-2010-a-year-in-stats/

evernote was launched in 2008.

Blackberry os was never, and looking at today will be never,a great marketplace for a software house.

Look at desktop stats,

linux users are in web users and in the windows users (wine and virtual machine).

No stats for other clients.

I have an android phone and an android tablet, why i must not have a native client for desktop too?

Like blackberry users, they have their mobile and desktop client !!!!

Probably i never become an evernote premium user, and probably i'll migrate first to have 50 notes (i have 17 right now)

or just wait "google notes" or "google buy evernote" to have my client and become a premium user

iPad 499 + 69 + 29 = 597

Macbook Air = 999

iPad = handwriting

MBA = no handwriting

Check it out!.

http://www.ubuntu.com/devices/phone

Evernote on an Ubuntu Phone

Plus

...video cutted ...

Check out at time 3:45. The app is called Evernote, and not Everpad.

just look here https://github.com/nvbn/everpad/blob/develop/data/everpad-note.png

and wait evernote ask to everpad to change icon, if not the icon is licenseless and everyone is free to use it

I don't think in terms of replacements. Ten years ago I used Windows and occasionally did some work on the Mac -- two devices. Five years ago I got an iPod Touch, so started using iOS and Evernote -- three devices. This year I am using Windows, Mac, iOS, and Android on nine different devices. Nothing has replaced anything -- the gadgets just keep multiplying! The categories are blurring, the uses overlap, and they all work together pretty well, especially with Evernote.

Linux? Nothing wrong with it, of course, but Evernote has decided to focus on other clients, probably because it makes sense financially. After all, Evernote, despite its massive user base, is still basically a startup.

Blackberry? At least for Evernote, it has been a great investment.

At Le Web in London, June 20, 2012, Phil Libin said the income generated per user (averaged out depending on platforms you use) was: Android $1.06, Windows $1.44, iPhone $1.79, Blackberry $2.01, iPad $2.18, Web $1.81, Windows $2.33, Mac $3.16, Food $6.73 (more engaged), Skitch $8.44, Hello $9.22, and 3rd party $9.53.

In addition, he mentioned that 75% of users come from mobile, so that explains the tablet and mobile platform emphasis. I am not saying it is "right" or "wrong," what Evernote is doing with Linux, but to me, it makes a lot of sense. If you look at that third-party number, it also suggests that an enterprising app maker for Linux stands to make some money.

• Like 1

I have been in this game long enough to have seen the same pattern play out over and over. Ten years ago I predicted that mobile devices would erode the PC market. My wife laughed at me, stating that nothing mobile could entirely replace the PC. She was right, but today she uses her phone and tablet for almost everything.

Before that, people said that a laptop could never do everything a desktop could do, and they were right. Yet look around and ask how many desktops have been sold lately relative to laptops.

Before that, people that a PC could never do everything a scientific workstation could do, and they were right. Yet look around and tell me how many scientific workstations you see.

Before that, people said that a mid-range computer could never do everything a mainframe could, and they were right. Yet again, look around.

Can a tablet do everything your ultrabook does? Of course not, but it doesn't matter. The way you interact with the machine will change to take advantage of the tablet's strengths.

martyscholes i agree with you, i read asimov since I can read, and ever i agree with him in "miniaturization" of technology (i am 40 years old, my first calculator was a c16),

you use a tablet when you use it to surf, to skype friends, to make video or photos, to read an ebook etc etc

when you need ever a keyboard because of the screen size is too small with a touch keyboard, what you need is an ultrabook to have comfort.

about mainframe (or pX ibm, or sparc sun) and mid range servers (x86_64), on the balance the more weight is the god $$ .

off course if you need a server to run apache or tomcat + mysql, you don't need a mainframe

Blackberry? At least for Evernote, it has been a great investment.

At Le Web in London, June 20, 2012, Phil Libin said the income generated per user (averaged out depending on platforms you use) was: Android $1.06, Windows $1.44, iPhone $1.79, Blackberry $2.01, iPad $2.18, Web $1.81, Windows $2.33, Mac $3.16, Food $6.73 (more engaged), Skitch $8.44, Hello $9.22, and 3rd party $9.53.

multiply per user and you can watch the total per platform then re-read about the great investement

multiply per user and you can watch the total per platform then re-read about the great investement

Please stop. It does no good to continue to debate whether or not it's worth EN's time/money to make a linux client. As has been stated many, many, many times already in this thread, EN has chosen to not do a linux client. Period. End of story.

@martyscholes Careful about that "mainframe" comment. :-) Seriously, horses for courses - whether we're talking about servers or clients. People will continue to use a wide variety of devices for their myriad computing needs. One of the promises I hold Evernote to is I can get at my data on whichever device. Even PSVita :-) - assuming the web client works. Anyone tried it?

Note: In saying "web client" I do strongly prefer native ones, but I'll take what I can get.

No disrespect intended. I have written batch COBOL apps under DOS/VSE and interactive multi-user transactional CICS apps under the same for 3270-class terminals. Up until the 1980s, the mainframe was a one-size-fits-all device. Now it has a niche in throughput-intensive applications. Last I checked, DB2 on a late hardware will run rings around Oracle.

martyscholes i agree with you, i read asimov since I can read, and ever i agree with him in "miniaturization" of technology (i am 40 years old, my first calculator was a c16),

you use a tablet when you use it to surf, to skype friends, to make video or photos, to read an ebook etc etc

when you need ever a keyboard because of the screen size is too small with a touch keyboard, what you need is an ultrabook to have comfort.

about mainframe (or pX ibm, or sparc sun) and mid range servers (x86_64), on the balance the more weight is the god $$ .

off course if you need a server to run apache or tomcat + mysql, you don't need a mainframe

I type this on a triple-head thin client connected via gigabit fiber to a 60GB, 8 core Solaris server in my basement, housed in a 72" rack that holds 6 fibre channel arrays containing 66 fibre channel disks. At any moment in time the server is running a dozen or so VirtualBox virtual machines, from XP to Windows 7 to various Linux distributions and appliances. My day job is writing SAS applications for an IBM AIX box. Much of my time is spent tuning large Oracle queries. In a past life I wrote Solaris SCSI target drivers (device drivers) for a living.

I know old school, but I can see where things are going for the consumer.

• Level 5*

Whoa, hey, computers get faster and more powerful!! Knock me over with a feather -- Gordon Moore, where are you now?? I did not get the memo. Burn your old desktops/laptops -- they're dead, dead, dead!! There's a new sheriff in town, and they call her Ms. Tablet.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

:)

If Blackberry, with many more users than Linux (I think, but we don't have numbers of either, do we?) is not the revenue stream I suggested it was, then Linux will be even less likely, especially without a mobile client. The benefit with Blackberry? An existing user base and development team for Evernote.

This is a nice discussion we are having about the computer industry, and there is no doubt a lot of programming / technological expertise amongst all the members (myself excluded), but in the end it boils down to what BNF said. In a rare statement of future intentions, Evernote has said they do not currently, and do not plan in the future to support Linux (podcast # 8 http://blog.evernote.com/2009/07/20/evernote-podcast-8/ 18:03-18:59). This may change, of course, but there it is.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've managed to get it mostly working in Wine on the current Centos - although I'd love a native client, Nixnote has been a bit of hassle.

One thing to note is for it to work you will need to be aware of the following:

* Selinux - this blocks a "low_mmap" thing that prevents evernote/wine from working. Unfortunately the automated bug reporter to alter defaults for the wine/evernote app didn't collect info properly, but I've allowed the eception locally. You'll need to do so too, or disable selinux (it does improve security, but comes with a hefty usability tradeoff).

* IPtables - Evernote requires ports 80 and 443 to be open.

* Winetricks- install the tahoma font for things to look correct.

Se tthe winecfg so the app is started with a windows 7 config, and it should then work. I even get the evernote ads.

• Like 1

If you are having trouble getting the 3rd party apps to work, or if like me you are using older hardware that does not have enough horsepower to run WINE smoothly, one option that you might consider is Evernote does have a web interface. You could access Evernote though the web browser in Linux. I use Firefox on my Linux box, it works great.

Good Luck,

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5*

Apologies if this point has been raised before. Could Evernote be made available for Linux - e.g Ubuntu Store.

This would be ideal.

Thanks,

Tekkon

Hi. I think you'll find your answers here (I've merged your thread with this one). The best we know is that Evernote does not have an app for Linux, it was not planning to make one in the past, and we have not heard if they plan to make one in the future. 

• 2 weeks later...

I was recently listening to one of Leo Laporte's podcasts on the TWiT network, and somone from Evernote who described themselves as a "Platform Evangelist" made the comment that they already support all the platforms that matter... and then repeated that statement when asked about Linux.

Well, given some issues with the changes to UbuntuOne, and Tomboy, I was thinking about moving to Evernote... I had almost convinced myself that it is reasonable for Evernote to make the API available for 3rd party applications, but now I have to admit that if Evernote think that Linux doesn't matter... then they are free to make changes whcih are detrimental without considering the impact on our platform and it really makes me think twice about moving my data to this service.

Great Evangalism!

I think Everpad is very nice indeed... but it doesn't excuse the lack of an officially supported client as I need to guarantee that my data will be accessible into the future, and I can't always rely on an unknown, free client... I'd rather pay for a reliable client that I know will be there into the future, but if Evernode takes the position that Linux doesn't matter, then my subscribing isn't paying for that.

It's frustrating, and I hope Evernote will look to Steam for some feedback on how Linux users are an untapped market who does have money to spend on quality software for our platform.

• Level 5*

I was recently listening to one of Leo Laporte's podcasts on the TWiT network, and somone from Evernote who described themselves as a "Platform Evangelist" made the comment that they already support all the platforms that matter... and then repeated that statement when asked about Linux.

Well, given some issues with the changes to UbuntuOne, and Tomboy, I was thinking about moving to Evernote... I had almost convinced myself that it is reasonable for Evernote to make the API available for 3rd party applications, but now I have to admit that if Evernote think that Linux doesn't matter... then they are free to make changes whcih are detrimental without considering the impact on our platform and it really makes me think twice about moving my data to this service.

Great Evangalism!

I think Everpad is very nice indeed... but it doesn't excuse the lack of an officially supported client as I need to guarantee that my data will be accessible into the future, and I can't always rely on an unknown, free client... I'd rather pay for a reliable client that I know will be there into the future, but if Evernode takes the position that Linux doesn't matter, then my subscribing isn't paying for that.

It's frustrating, and I hope Evernote will look to Steam for some feedback on how Linux users are an untapped market who does have money to spend on quality software for our platform.

Hi. Do you know which episode where you heard this? Anyone could call themselves a platform evangelist, and say anything they want :)

But, more importantly, Evernote has made it pretty clear that they are not developing for Linux themselves right now (this doesn't mean they never will). The API is open to development for any platform including Linux, though. Please remember that Evernote is still a startup that has not yet gone public. It is not Facebook or Google with billions and billions in valuation, and there are simply going to be limits to the reach that Evernote will have on its own. For this reason, they cultivate a developer community. Also, they have the Web interface, and that will always be available, so you don't really have to worry terribly much about not having access in the future. 

• Like 2
  • Level 5*

Look, let's get this straight. If Evernote change their mind and decide that they want to deliver an Evernote-built Linux client, then I would say "hurray". They'd have their reasons, and that's fine with me. However, I find it extremely unlikely that they would be able to change their API in such a way as to wreck a Linux developer's chances of making Evernote-related software; that would be stupid, and Evernote are anything but stupid. GrumpyMonkey is correct; the API is meant to be cross-platform, and will remain that way.

• Like 1

Look, let's get this straight. If Evernote change their mind and decide that they want to deliver an Evernote-built Linux client, then I would say "hurray". They'd have their reasons, and that's fine with me. However, I find it extremely unlikely that they would be able to change their API in such a way as to wreck a Linux developer's chances of making Evernote-related software; that would be stupid, and Evernote are anything but stupid. GrumpyMonkey is correct; the API is meant to be cross-platform, and will remain that way.

I agree.  However... any application which is produced by the good will of a single developer is at risk to changes in API's required to interface with the desktop, with Evernote and with any other components... and that developer may have other priorities...  Everpad itself is extremely nice... and I do appreciate the previous posters comments that evernote is not a large company.  I cannot help thinking however that the actual cost of supporting that app/developer and perhaps committing to continuing it's development even if the current developer were to give it up would be quite small... one part time employee at most, and I'd like to think that you could recover those costs in good will, and additional paying customers.  Surely this is better than flippant comments made in online media consumed by those potential customers.

Finally, when I say I want my notes to be available in the future, I should point out that they started in a tickertape style system using a customized version of xedit on my Sparc ELC workstation in 1993, and so I am quite serious when I say I'd like to be confident that I would still have them in /another/ 20 years, as moving many hundreds of internally linked notes to Evernote acceptably would be no small task.

• Level 5*

I have no idea what you mean by "flippant comments". Mine? No -- they were dead-on serious.

Evernote-built clients use the Evernote API. They publish the API. Evernote would like very much to build the Evernote infrastructure based on its API: the more users of the Evernote infrastructure, the better. They don't make money from selling clients, they make money from selling premium services, so they have no reason to sabotage third-party developers, even for platforms that they don't care to build clients for themselves (there's a big difference between "we don't care to build a client for platform X" and "we think that platform X should not be a part of the Evernote infrastructure" -- they run Linux on their servers, for goodness'sake: http://blog.evernote.com/tech/2011/05/17/architectural-digest/). As far as I understand it, they've been supportive of baumgarr and other developers.

Here is what they say about the safety of your notes: http://blog.evernote.com/blog/2011/03/24/evernotes-three-laws-of-data-protection/. If you don't trust this, then Evernote may not be the product for you.

I seem to be missing a comment here, perhaps I simply screwed up submitting it... I'll summarize below.

With regard to your first comment... I was referring to the comments made on the podcast I referred to earlier, not to yours.

I respect the decision not to support a client on Linux, and I view the decision to provide a public API as visionary.... moreover I also realize that there would be no benefit in deliberately sabotaging any given user of the API.  That said, I am acutely aware that both the product, and the platform will evolve over time and the client software will need to be maintained.... so, with regard to the safety of the data, while I have no doubt that Evernote can retain it, I would be relying on the good will of a single, unpaid developer working in his spare time and most likely for his own benefit to provide a client, without which the utility of storing data with this tool is almost completely lost.

I find the comment "we already support all the platforms that matter", flippant, and somewhat offensive... especially in the current climate.  The future direction of Windows is making it far less likley that I, and many other people will ever use that platform, and several other commercial service vendors are moving to support Linux, particularly the Ubuntu ecosystem which is soon to include phones and tablets which presumably will also not be supported.

As regards to your comments about the Evernote business model, I pay for Ubuntu One cloud storage for much of my data, and I don't see why I would not pay for a premium account with Evernote if the situation were more favourable towards me using that service.  I have certainly paid a good deal of money to Steam since they launched their Linux client.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

I seem to be missing a comment here, perhaps I simply screwed up submitting it... I'll summarize below.

With regard to your first comment... I was referring to the comments made on the podcast I referred to earlier, not to yours.

I respect the decision not to support a client on Linux, and I view the decision to provide a public API as visionary.... moreover I also realize that there would be no benefit in deliberately sabotaging any given user of the API.  That said, I am acutely aware that both the product, and the platform will evolve over time and the client software will need to be maintained.... so, with regard to the safety of the data, while I have no doubt that Evernote can retain it, I would be relying on the good will of a single, unpaid developer working in his spare time and most likely for his own benefit to provide a client, without which the utility of storing data with this tool is almost completely lost.

I find the comment "we already support all the platforms that matter", flippant, and somewhat offensive... especially in the current climate.  The future direction of Windows is making it far less likley that I, and many other people will ever use that platform, and several other commercial service vendors are moving to support Linux, particularly the Ubuntu ecosystem which is soon to include phones and tablets which presumably will also not be supported.

As regards to your comments about the Evernote business model, I pay for Ubuntu One cloud storage for much of my data, and I don't see why I would not pay for a premium account with Evernote if the situation were more favourable towards me using that service.  I have certainly paid a good deal of money to Steam since they launched their Linux client.

Hi. Again, do you know who said this and in what episode? If you could provide a link, that would help. Thanks!

[EDIT:] Actually, you can find a similar phrase online after all.

Rafe Needleman says "Evernote builds versions of Evernote for almost all the computing platforms that matter. But there’s one platform we’ve never served directly, one with, literally, billions of users: the feature phone." (http://blog.evernote.com/blog/2012/10/08/devcup-bronze-winner-ev-brings-evernote-to-all-feature-phones/). It doesn't seem offensive to me, esp. with the word "almost" thrown in there, and in the context of saying that Evernote is under-represented in a massive market (feature phones). 

Hi. Again, do you know who said this and in what episode? If you could provide a link, that would help. Thanks!

Rafe Needleman says "Evernote builds versions of Evernote for almost all the computing platforms that matter. But there’s one platform we’ve never served directly, one with, literally, billions of users: the feature phone." (http://blog.evernote.com/blog/2012/10/08/devcup-bronze-winner-ev-brings-evernote-to-all-feature-phones/). It doesn't seem offensive to me, esp. with the word "almost" thrown in there, and in the context of saying that Evernote is under-represented in a massive market (feature phones). 

Someone seems to have added the word "Almost"... I wasn't sure I was going to name specific people, since I'm talking about a general attitude, but since your "quote" doesn't match what was said, I invite people to listen to TWiT Ep. 392 starting at 41:30.  I have transcribed relevant section as accurately as I am able... there is no "almost" in there. 

Leo: "There is no evernote on Blackberry 10 yet right? Or is there?"

Rafe: "There's an evernote for blackberry and..."

Leo: "Blackberry 10 has it integrated in!"

Rafe: "Yeah, it ships with a... err, evernote integration."

Leo: "Share to evernote kinda is everywhere"

Rafe: "Yeah"

Leo: "I like that!"

Rafe: "We believe on being err, native on all platforms, that matter"

Leo: "That's very interesting, it makes me want to try blackberry 10"

John: "Are you on Linux?"

Rafe: "*Cough*"

Leo?: "Only on the web"

Jason?: "He said platforms that matter"

***Inaudible

John: "He said the word 'Matter', so now all you Linux people out there know what he thinks about your pl...".

Rafe: "Here's my target, shoot at me. There is an API and people have written evernote aerr, desktops, or applications to that - for our API... inaudible"

Leo: "You know phil liben, and and, by the way and I'm not taking a job with evernote, but phil liben once told me that 4% of evernote referals were by leo laporte...... "

Also, I'll grant you that there might possibly be a good number of potential users for Blackberry 10, it's a good product (A fact which surprised me in the end)... but it will still be a long time before there are more BB10 users than Ubuntu users alone.

• Level 5*

You seem to have added the word "Almost"... I wasn't sure I was going to name specific people, since I'm talking about a general attitude, but since your "quote" doesn't match what was said, I invite people to listen to TWiT Ep. 392 starting at 41:30.  I have transcribed relevant section as accurately as I am able... there is no "almost" about it.

Leo: "There is no evernote on Blackberry 10 yet right? Or is there?"

Rafe: "There's an evernote for blackberry and..."

Leo: "Blackberry 10 has it integrated in!"

Rafe: "Yeah, it ships with a... err, evernote integration."

Leo: "Share to evernote kinda is everywhere"

Rafe: "Yeah"

Leo: "I like that!"

Rafe: "We believe on being err, native on all platforms, that matter"

Leo: "That's very interesting, it makes me want to try blackberry 10"

John: "Are you on Linux?"

Rafe: "*Cough*"

Leo?: "Only on the web"

Jason?: "He said platforms that matter"

***Inaudible

John: "He said the word 'Matter', so now all you Linux people out there know what he thinks about your pl...".

Rafe: "Here's my target, shoot at me. There is an API and people have written evernote aerr, desktops, or applications to that - for our API... inaudible"

Leo: "You know phil liben, and and, by the way and I'm not taking a job with evernote, but phil liben once told me that 4% of evernote referals were by leo laporte...... "

Also, I'll grant you that there might possibly be a good number of potential users for Blackberry 10, it's a good product (A fact which surprised me in the end)... but it will still be a long time before there are more BB10 users than Ubuntu users alone.

Thank you for posting that. I did not know about the interview. I just want to clear a couple of things up:

(1) I asked you once or twice in this thread for the link and the name of the person, because otherwise we have no idea how to interpret the statement you attributed to Evernote. In this case, it was an Evernote employee. Is this a general attitude? I don't know. I haven't gotten that impression in the past. 

(2) You did not supply the information in #1, so I Googled and found this written post by Rafe (the same person in the video clip). The word "almost" is correct, and I did not add it into the statement (why would I make this up?), because I copy/pasted it from the site. Please follow the link I provided. It doesn't match what was said in the clip, because (see #1) I didn't know what was said, only what I could find that was written.

• Like 1

I'd like to add a slightly unrelated comment, related to the original posters question.

If my primary platform was Mac, or even Windows although I can't imagine that ever happening... and I had a couple of occasional Linux machines then I would perhaps already have an Evernote account, and have data in there, in which case, being able to use a relatively good (well integrated) free client would be a godsend.

However, this is not the case.  My primary platform has been Linux (Occasionally Solaris) since the early 90's, and if that free client goes away I would be left high and dry, this is why I would rather pay for a product this critical to my workflow than rely on the good will of an unknown developer who could abandon the project tomorrow.

Y'all can cogitate all you want.  And if one is going to take offense at a "flippant" remark about all the OSs that matter, then maybe one should get some thicker skin.  Bottom line is that EN has stated very clearly they are not building a linux client.  If that's a deal breaker for you, then EN is not the product for you.

• Like 1

Thank you for posting that. I did not know about the interview. I just want to clear a couple of things up:

(1) I asked you once or twice in this thread for the link and the name of the person, because otherwise we have no idea how to interpret the statement you attributed to Evernote. In this case, it was an Evernote employee. Is this a general attitude? I don't know. I haven't gotten that impression in the past. 

(2) You did not supply the information in #1, so I Googled and found this written post by Rafe (the same person in the video clip). The word "almost" is correct, and I did not add it into the statement (why would I make this up?), because I copy/pasted it from the site. Please follow the link I provided. It doesn't match what was said in the clip, because (see #1) I didn't know what was said, only what I could find that was written.

1. I didn't have time to review which podcast it was in, and at the time I wasn't sure if I wanted to call out a specific person.. although I didn't want to leave your question unanswered either.  As for it being a general attitude, perhaps that's unfair when speaking specifically about Evernote... although it certainly isn't when taking the proliferation of online services as a whole.  I've had many exchanges with Audible on the same issue, and /their/ standard response for example has not changed in 2 years... and is very clearly knowingly untrue.  Many Linux users were essentially ripped off by LoveFilm who moved to Silverlight leaving their Linux users unable to view content they had paid for.... the list goes on.  This is the reason why overt support however minimal, is needed to attract Linux users.

2. There was a lot of content to review to find the specific quote, so there was a delay.. I apologize for that.   I did originally suggest that you had added "almost", but immediately edited the post to say "someone"... since I realized that you were quoting another article....

As for my attitude in these posts, I hope it's obvious that I do try to be fair... even if I do ultimately have some agenda.  The thing to realize is that I've been using this platform pretty much exclusively for 20 years, certainly 15 years and for most of that time my approach has been "Well, there's really not enough of an installed base, and most users are students with no money".. so we'll do what we can with Wine, NDISWrapper, Java etc. etc. to get what we need running... but more recently I've come to the realization that there are certainly 50 million users, and many of them were students 10 or 20 years ago...  Now the issue is not having the money to spend on these products, it is the companies involved realizing that there are a lot of potential customers if it's approached correctly.  Audible is a prime example, they have retained strong DRM, and refused to provide a Linux client for years... I wouldn't think twice about buying audiobooks from Audible in MP3 format, even knowing that I could just as easily get them from youtube, or wherever... I want to pay for what is otherwise an excellent service, but I absolutely refuse to buy a copy of Windows to run in a VM so that I can jump through hoops to pay for their content when someone else has probably already posted it on youtube anyway... I work hard to find a vendor who does provide the content in a standard format, or supports Linux... but most people would simply take the easy route and use youtube, or torrents to get that content simply because it is so hard to do anything else....  it doesn't help anyone.

Y'all can cogitate all you want.  And if one is going to take offense at a "flippant" remark about all the OSs that matter, then maybe one should get some thicker skin.  Bottom line is that EN has stated very clearly they are not building a linux client.  If that's a deal breaker for you, then EN is not the product for you.

I simply consider it a civic duty to raise these issues... most Linux users have spent a long time assuming that they won't be supported regardless of the money they absolutely do have to spend... and most companies assume that Linux users are mostly spotty kids with no money to spend... the cycle perpetuates.  Meanwhile Humble Bundle repeatedly proves that Linux users are typically prepared to pay more on average for software and services than other users.

If that sometimes means raising an issue like this, then so be it....  and your implication that I should not raise these issues and should just keep quiet an move just makes me consider you to be part of the problem.

I don't necessarily want to labour the point, but at the same time... it's long past time that as a group of computer users we made our presence known.

I simply consider it a civic duty to raise these issues... most Linux users have spent a long time assuming that they won't be supported regardless of the money they absolutely do have to spend... and most companies assume that Linux users are mostly spotty kids with no money to spend... the cycle perpetuates.  Meanwhile Humble Bundle repeatedly proves that Linux users are typically prepared to pay more on average for software and services than other users.

If that sometimes means raising an issue like this, then so be it....  and your implication that I should not raise these issues and should just keep quiet an move just makes me consider you to be part of the problem.

I don't necessarily want to labour the point, but at the same time... it's long past time that as a group of computer users we made our presence known.

Sorry, but I'm not part of your problem b/c I have no say, whatsoever, in whether EN will make a linux client or not.  This is EN's proclamation.  I don't know why that's so hard for so many people to wrap their heads around.  What I *am* saying is that you're much like someone who continues to argue with a judge who has ruled & left the courtroom.  Rather than bicker back & forth as to whether there is relevance/profit in adding an EN linux client, your time would be better spent finding the app that you will feel comfortable with. 

WRT "making your presence known"...  yeah, well good luck with that.  It's not like EN doesn't know y'all exist.  And, it's not like they don't like you guys.  They've made a business decision, plain & simple.  There are stats somewhere either on the message board or podcasts regarding linux users vs Mac/Windows/iOS/Android/etc.  Hell, for all I know, maybe the stats show there are 30 million linux users out there eager to drop $45/year if EN produced a linux client.  (I'm pretty darned sure that's not the case, but let's say that for the sake of the argument.)  But the bottom line is that EN has chosen to not do one.  It's their business on the line.  Their jobs on the line.  Their mortgage/car payments/kids' school books on the line.  The fact that you don't like their decision is something you'll have to deal with. 

And again (last time)...it's really, really, really simple.  If you don't feel comfortable with dealing with the web client and/or third party apps, you would be better served finding an app that you DO feel comfortable with rather than lobbying for a linux client. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

I don't know why Evernote has not made a Linux client, and I think it's great that you post, but I don't see why you insist on painting them as a company disrespecting the Linux community. I wouldn't presume to know what they assume, or infer any deep meanings from an off-the-cuff statement by an employee. As has already been said, they use Linux themselves, but they made a business decision not to develop a client for it in-house. I don't think you should take it as a personal affront...

I don't know why Evernote has not made a Linux client, and I think it's great that you post, but I don't see why you insist on painting them as a company disrespecting the Linux community. I wouldn't presume to know what they assume, or infer any deep meanings from an off-the-cuff statement by an employee. As has already been said, they use Linux themselves, but they made a business decision not to develop a client for it in-house. I don't think you should take it as a personal affront...

That's a fair enough point... so I'd like to clarify a little where I'm coming from.

Although I don't take it as a personal afront, I do think it's inappropriate and should be called out... not because I really think that Evernote is disrespecting the Linux community but because it is certainly a historical issue that many companies assume there are no linux users and the more cases where they say something a little stupid about Linux and one of the users calls them out on it, the more likely they are to realise those users are there.   It is a little bit of a self fulfilling prophecy too, because in the case of many of those companies they will cite the lack of Linux enquiries as a reason for a policy of not supporting the platform... when often it is the long term policy of not supporting the platform which is the cause of the lack of enquiries.

Actually, I did mean it when I said that having a publically accessible API is visionary... I just don't think it can replace a baseline, reliable vendor supported app.  That's what would make me subscribe to the service, even tho it might be the API that ultimately keeps me there, and I don't think I'm alone.  Who doesn't like the cool free app that does some neat thing?... would you like to rely on that cool free app for everything with no safety net? No.

As for using Linux themselves... that's a given, noone in their right mind would be using Windows as a server for an enterprise web platform these days unless their company name started in Micro and ended in Soft... So, honestly your choices are Linux, BSD or Solaris... and Solaris will ultimately cost lots more, so you'll end up using BSD or Linux.... ultimately Linux is more mainstream out of the two, so you'll find yourself spending more time deciding what type of Linux server to use than any of those other decisions!

To my knowledge, Evernote has never lied to me about their position on Linux or withdrawn support after taking people's money or actively tried to detect and block Linux users... so they're already way ahead of many of the other online services I've queried about Linux in the past.

• Level 5*

That's a fair enough point... so I'd like to clarify a little where I'm coming from.

Although I don't take it as a personal afront, I do think it's inappropriate and should be called out... not because I really think that Evernote is disrespecting the Linux community but because it is certainly a historical issue that many companies assume there are no linux users and the more cases where they say something a little stupid about Linux and one of the users calls them out on it, the more likely they are to realise those users are there.   It is a little bit of a self fulfilling prophecy too, because in the case of many of those companies they will cite the lack of Linux enquiries as a reason for a policy of not supporting the platform... when often it is the long term policy of not supporting the platform which is the cause of the lack of enquiries.

Actually, I did mean it when I said that having a publically accessible API is visionary... I just don't think it can replace a baseline, reliable vendor supported app.  That's what would make me subscribe to the service, even tho it might be the API that ultimately keeps me there, and I don't think I'm alone.  Who doesn't like the cool free app that does some neat thing?... would you like to rely on that cool free app for everything with no safety net? No.

As for using Linux themselves... that's a given, noone in their right mind would be using Windows as a server for an enterprise web platform these days unless their company name started in Micro and ended in Soft... So, honestly your choices are Linux, BSD or Solaris... and Solaris will ultimately cost lots more, so you'll end up using BSD or Linux.... ultimately Linux is more mainstream out of the two, so you'll find yourself spending more time deciding what type of Linux server to use than any of those other decisions!

To my knowledge, Evernote has never lied to me about their position on Linux or withdrawn support after taking people's money or actively tried to detect and block Linux users... so they're already way ahead of many of the other online services I've queried about Linux in the past.

Fair points, and the forum is the place to bring up this kind of stuff. I don't know if Evernote is developing, or ever plans to develop a Linux client, but knowing how users feel about it will definitely provide them with more information for their decisions going forward.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Level 5*

the world is changing guys, http://store.steampowered.com/news/9943/

and i bet EN has been changed too, looking the market the alternatives linux native for EN are growing ....

The world is always changing -- it'd be a poor software developer who didn't pay attention.

The question is, do the alternatives that you mention exist on all of the platforms that Evernote exists on, and are they viable alternatives? Remember, there are a lot of Evernote "alternatives" in the non-Linux world as well, including OneNote.

the world is changing guys, http://store.steampowered.com/news/9943/

and i bet EN has been changed too, looking the market the alternatives linux native for EN are growing ....

The world is always changing -- it'd be a poor software developer who didn't pay attention.

The question is, do the alternatives that you mention exist on all of the platforms that Evernote exists on, and are they viable alternatives? Remember, there are a lot of Evernote "alternatives" in the non-Linux world as well, including OneNote.

Jefito, in mine interest, i know the only one platform i care, isn't supported at all by EN,

in fact i use randomly EN, when i can't use my laptop but a customer's workstation.

At home every EN note written is moved on another compliant cloud.

I've been using the Windows client on Ubuntu using Crossover (a commercial version of WINE) for the past few years.  With the exception of a few hiccups (occasional crashes on start) it's been working very well for me. 

Not sure what all the fuss here is about  :)

For me, NixNote (aka Nevernote) has some serious performance issues. I've tried using it many times but just revert back to running the windows client (which is more stable). 

Good day.

I just made this account to post here that its a shame that Evernote is not supporting Linux.  Right now Linux is the fastest growing Desktop OS and with companies like Valve moving to Linux its a shame that Evernote is stuck in the past.  I read here from a developer that used the infamous 1% quote which is tottaly false, not even Microsoft thinks Linux has 1% user base.

A friend of mine was showing me Evernote and said that it runs on every device and OS.  I asked him if even Linux and he said that sure, why wouldnt they.  So I went to Evernote page and to my suprise they only had Windows 8 Desktop and Metro and Mac OS X.  They also had android and iOS as well.

I would have loved to try your product but because you guys choose to exclude me as a customer it just unfortunate.

Cheers.

P.S. Attached shows Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer showing the market share of Linux.

post-128275-0-81185200-1363932158_thumb.

JohnMathews,

this is their choice, i don't care, maybe evernote was innovative some times ago, but now competitors are borning as mushrooms after rain :D

Really???  Like what?  I've yet to see anything that's really a true competitor of Evernote.  The usual comparison is OneNote & even that is not really a true competitor.

JohnMathews,

this is their choice, i don't care, maybe evernote was innovative some times ago, but now competitors are borning as mushrooms after rain :D

Really???  Like what?  I've yet to see anything that's really a true competitor of Evernote.  The usual comparison is OneNote & even that is not really a true competitor.

look at your PM

JohnMathews,

look at your PM

Why are you PM'ing me? The apps (only two? - I thought they were "[springing] up like mushrooms after rain"?) you mentioned are not top secret.  And so far, I'd have to say although some users find these apps useful, they really are not on the level of an EN competitor.  In so many ways.

JohnMathews,

look at your PM

Why are you PM'ing me? The apps (only two? - I thought they were "[springing] up like mushrooms after rain"?) you mentioned are not top secret.  And so far, I'd have to say although some users find these apps useful, they really are not on the level of an EN competitor.  In so many ways.

not yet, to you

already better, to me.

JohnMathews,

look at your PM

not yet, to you

already better, to me.

Like I said, "some users find these apps useful",  I'm glad they work for you.  But the reality is neither of them can really be considered a competitor of Evernote.  Not even close.

Marco,

I want EN on Linux too, mostly because I want EN on Solaris (my primary desktop) and the jump from a typical Linux distribution to Solaris is a small leap.

The problem with a Linux port is that Linux is so fragmented. I mean, what is Linux? At its core, Linux is a kernel. But when you and I talk about Linux, it is so much more. What is the GUI? Most are X, but what about Android (which runs the Linux kernel). Technically, there is an Android port and therefore we already have a Linux port, but I doubt that's what you are referring to. Which session manager / desktop environment should they support? Gnome? KDE? All of the smaller variants out there? What about window managers and widgets? If EN targets the hardcore Linux folks then they need to include those who simply run twm. What about the old-school Motif and Athena guys? Should they ignore the OPEN LOOK people too?

Linux has been ported to a bunch of CPUs and architectures. Should they include a MIPS version as well as x86? What about SPARC and the Alpha folks? Itanium? ARM sales are starting to dwarf x86, should they include that too? Besides hardware, what libraries should they assume exist on the target machine? What services? What dependencies should they assume are present?

If you are thinking, "Let the package manager handle the dependencies" then we need to consider which package manager should be targeted. Redhat's RPM? Debian's system? Any of the myriad of others? Should they include it in the upstream repositories or target individual distributions? What would you tell the Gentoo folks who like to roll their own? What about Mint which itself has several sub-distributions?

Going that far, should they then exclude all of the FreeBSD people as well? That opens up a whole other can of worms.

In all of this, I still don't know which distribution you run, or if you rolled your own.

The point is that there is no simple and straightforward solution to "make a Linux port."

If I am wrong on any of the above, let me know.

Thanks,

Marty

martyscholes

You can use the distro you like, if a distro is LSB compliant, is a GNU/linux,

Gimp is written with GTK, but it works under QT, under openmotif, under e17 compositor.

K3B is written in qt, but it work under every desktop environment (in fact it work under windows too, the whole KDE run under windows ....)

http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/lsb here you can find the answer about what is linux

The cpu isn't a problem, may be if linux will grow on tablet or an arm based netbook will invade the market it become a problem.

But i know, you know better than me how simple is to compile for arm instead x86_64 or ppc

• 1 month later...

I would simply like to say that I would realy welcome a linux client for Evernote.

The application looks very promissing to me; I find that I use it on my working PC for noting ideas and listing actions. It is not the all-solving-app, but I am using it.

I think one of the reasons that I am using it is that it syncs well between Windows and Android. I use it for my "little black book of knowledge" to note down knowledge I want to be able to look up quickly.

I am sure missing a good Linux client though. I am using Nixnote at the time, but it feels a bit difficult evry now and again.

So, if any Evernote developers are reading this post; Great job you are doing" and "please make a Linux client"

regards and keep up the good work,

Bas

I've had the same issue as you for months, but there is a new alternative on the scene-- I simultaneously found this discussion and the newest 'solution' on the market: Everpad

Nevernote aka NixNote has been the sole contender in the space. I gotta admit: I haven't explored Nevernote's functionality simply because of its lackluster interface. I had high hopes for Everpad, but... After installing all of the files, nothing synced at all. Essentially, the interface was totally blank.

Linux Journal was practically crying with joy, though, apparently, so take my desolate experience with a grain of salt, haha:

cb77f3d3-78e9-41d8-8c17-d9a4115dfe29.jpg

Here is a great article on how to download/install the Everpad client for Linux. 

I feel like it is high time for Evernote to officially support Linux with a reputable client. 'Open-source' isn't going anywhere anytime soon--Ugh, the irony! The concept is so timeless.

Cheers--

JT

The downside with Everpad is you don't have any stacked notebooks/tags. Everything is listed among each other and that is really "not usable" for me (I'm using the thesecretweapon approach with many (sub)tags). So I (have to) stay with nixnote/nevernote on my linux pc's (and the web interface).

• Level 5*

Just to be clear, Linux users have already made their desires known to Evernote; the lengthy (and aging) topic here being one bit of evidence.

Just to be clear, Linux users have already made their desires known to Evernote; the lengthy (and aging) topic here being one bit of evidence.

Additionally, "as a group of [open source] computer users", if you don't like the existing third party apps, please feel free to create another one, using EN's API.

I even seem to recall that baumgarr has offered up Nixnote as open source...??? Yep..

http://sourceforge.net/projects/nevernote/

Just to be clear, Linux users have already made their desires known to Evernote; the lengthy (and aging) topic here being one bit of evidence.
Additionally, "as a group of [open source] computer users", if you don't like the existing third party apps, please feel free to create another one, using EN's API.

Just for your info, not all Linux users are developers. There are many people who use Linux for a multitude of reasons. Quit making assumptions.  My post orginally was to just say that they can use WINE to run Evernote (it works pretty well).  I was trying to help other users unlike yourself with your obvious bias against Linux users.

Open Surce Users != Developer.

Point 1 - the topic of this thread is "Is there an Evernote for Linux'.  NOT "Is there an official version of Evernote for Linux".  The answer to this is YES.

Point 2 - the last few points were useful to people looking into using evernote in Linux as they discuss what's available (including pros and cons).

Stop lurking around and bugging people. This is the second thread I've seen you being rude for no reason. It's great that you answer questions about things you know about Evernote for Mac and Windows but please don't answer when you can't provide something contrstructive or useful.

This thread is useful for people wanting to use Evernote on Linux. Your comments are not.

• Level 5*

@rimez: Requesting a Linux client is perfectly acceptable, and discussing the alternatives is potentially useful for other Linux users, but accusing Bnf of having "obvious bias against Linux users" wasn't particularly helpful to the discussion you seem to want to have. You can't stop other users from posting, so if you want the thread to stay on-topic, then you might try setting your phasers to "ignore" rather than "return fire"...

• Like 1

Point 1 - the topic of this thread is "Is there an Evernote for Linux'.  NOT "Is there an official version of Evernote for Linux".  The answer to this is YES.

Point 2 - the last few points were useful to people looking into using evernote in Linux as they discuss what's available (including pros and cons).

Stop lurking around and bugging people. This is the second thread I've seen you being rude for no reason. It's great that you answer questions about things you know about Evernote for Mac and Windows but please don't answer when you can't provide something contrstructive or useful.

This thread is useful for people wanting to use Evernote on Linux. Your comments are not.

I don't know why your knickers are in a knot.  But my post that you seemed to take exception to (#35) is perfectly reasonable & helpful. 

Getting back on topic....

So the curent evernote client options for Linux are:

• Everpad - It's OK if you have a few notes I guess but as already mentioned, this just dumps all of your notes into one big mess. No stacking, no filtering by notebooks. On the positive side, there's a unity Lens for Ubuntu users.
  • Nixnote (formerly Nevernote) - Of the 2 native clients, this is the best choice. It's pretty much has all the featues and even allows you to edit the HTML. However, my experience is that this thing is VERY slow. Also, the GUI is simply ugly. If there are any UX designers out there using Linux, please donate some time to help out with this. There is a new v2 alpha release which does have an improved GUI but I couldn't get it to sync my account. I always keep an eye on this app but so far, it hasn't been up to par with the windows client. 
  • Windows client running through WINE - In my view, this is the best way to use Evernote in Linux. If you need help installing in WINE there's a lot of help tutorials on this - just google it. If you are a complete noob to WINE and want the simplest way to install it, I would recommend purchasing the comercial version of WINE called "Crossover". It's what I use. The biggest downside in my view is that it occasionally crashes on start. If this is the case, you have to kill the wine process and restart the application. One other downside (for people not using MS Office) is that it doesn't seem to integrate with LibreOffice - this means that if you have a word doc in a note and click it, LO or whatever you are using for doc/x files will not open (same for excel and powerpoint). In Crossover, I just installed MS Office along with Evernote. 

EDIT: there was talk in the past about Evernote releasing an offline webapp. It would be great to see Evernote release a packaged app for Chrome. I think this could then replace alll of the above :)

Update: Since version 4.6.6.xxx was released, I have had MAJOR issues getting Evernote to run in WINE :(  More often than not, it crashes at start.  Previously, this was only occasionnal behaviour.  I really wish Evernote would just expand the Web client to allow offline editing, then we wouldn't be discussing any of this.

UPDATE 2: the kind folks at codeweavers suggested I run the application in a separate bottle ( I had Evernote installed in my Office 2007 bottle). After doing this it's working again. 

Edited by rimez
  • Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

New user of Evernote and so far I'm reasonably happy. Syncing my notes between my Android phone and my web login works flawlessly, but I'm less than impressed with the fact I can only use certain features/software if I use a Mac or Windows machine (Firefox browser on desk-top complains about missing plugin-ins if I try to view notes with audio or video attached, not sure if that's Linux related). Can't see any value in paying your premium price if I can't get full/equal access to your services and software. Get a Linux version sorted and I'll be more than happy to slip you a few $$$.

New user of Evernote and so far I'm reasonably happy. Syncing my notes between my Android phone and my web login works flawlessly, but I'm less than impressed with the fact I can only use certain features/software if I use a Mac or Windows machine (Firefox browser on desk-top complains about missing plugin-ins if I try to view notes with audio or video attached, not sure if that's Linux related). Can't see any value in paying your premium price if I can't get full/equal access to your services and software. Get a Linux version sorted and I'll be more than happy to slip you a few $$$.

Yeah, my biggest gripe right now with Evernote is the fact that they treat platforms very differently. For example, in the Windows client (I'm running through WINE), the reminders have yet to appear so my only option is to use the Android client (buggy beta) or Web app to manage them. Kind of stupid IMHO. 

I suggested elsewhere that Evernote should start focusing more on building the offline web application. However, as there's still a lot of missing functionality, I'll bet it'll be a long time before we see it. 

With regards to the audio notes in Firefox, install VLC and the VLC broswer plugin.  It MIGHT work for you. The issue is with Android though as they record in AMR. If Android used a different codec it would be better supported in the browser.  As a workaround, I've started using a separate application to record audio (in WAV) which, when I am done recording, I share with evernote. 

For what it's worth, I'm a paying customer despite not having my platform (Ubuntu Linux) supported. 

• Level 5*

Part of the discrepancy is that the Windows and Mac clients are just plain older (meaning they've had more time to accumulate features) than the mobile clients. At the head end of the feature chain, though, the dev teams are relatively independent, and release when the individual teams are ready, so that other teams are not held any slippage on the part of other teams. A lot of us Windows users are waiting for Reminders, too, and I don't think that it'll be very long.

We would like to see a Linux client, but we are a relatively small company and don't currently have the resources to build and maintain a Linux client for the 1% of our potential customers who use Linux on the desktop.

We would be very happy to see a Linux integration from a third party developer using our public network API:

{C}http://www.evernote.com/about/developer/api/{C}

We've offered API keys and a little advice to a few developers who have said they were interested in building a Linux client.

Evernote is not a small company anymore.  The Ubuntu phone video has an evernote icon on the desktop, so at least release a client by the time the Ubuntu phone is released this fall.