REQUEST: Evernote for Linux

+1 A linux version

Preferrably tested on gnome, ubuntu.

I'm a premium user (2nd year) and I use Evernote a lot for both my job and personal stuff. My work requires that I be in linux all day. I've tried wine, a windows vm, and the web ui. The vm approach is painful--not because it's windows, but because it is so dis-integrated with my work environment. So I live with wine and occasionally the web ui. It's slow, no drag and drop, text only cut/paste, it doesn't display things right (sometimes not at all) and sometimes editing causes major formatting changes on the other platforms. But its the best I have. I can't count the number of times I've reinstalled wine and Evernote--it seems to go dysfunctional quite often and my experience is that a reinstall is the best fix.

Please :)

BTW, Evernote is great. I love it.

Yet another plea for Linux support. The only thing keeping me from using Evernote is being able to encrypt, and I guess that is not an option on the web-only mode. I use Linux as a desktop solution for any situation I would ever need to use Evernote in.

If there is a way to encrypt on the web version and I'm just not seeing it, I'd be grateful for the clue!

I just installed Ubuntu 11.10 and the current NixNote and it's basically unusable. The synchronizations are completely unpredictable and unreliable and I'm encountering tons of stuck threads.

Web client is my only reasonable option for retrieving notes. For adding notes, I use email.

I'd like Linux support. Something distributed through the Ubuntu Software Center would be nice. I don't know, there are a good amount of companies that are able to release their application for Linux. Mozilla and its browser, Firefox, is kind of a good example. I don't see why an independent developer, in his spare time, could come up with Nixnote - a fully functional client - and Evernote, the corporation, can not.

~shrug~

I guess I'll just use the web interface until a different company comes along with something more palatable.

My primary OS has been Ubuntu Linux for some time. I have looked at all the options available, specifically:

- Evernote Web Client

- Evernote Windows Client via Wine

- Evernote Windows Client via Windows Virtual Machine

- Nixnote(Nevernote) Linux client

My current configuration is:

- Evernote Web Client using primarily Chromium. 90% of my Evernote access is via the web client. It works very well for single note transactions. It is not so good for bulk/multi-note maintenance.

- Evernote Windows client via a Virtual Box Windows XP SP3 Virtual Machine. I use this for my Inbox processing and for other maintenance tasks. Fast and generally reliable. Other than paste problems have not found any VM specific bugs. Limitations are:

-- Pastes from Linux process can be corrupted.

-- Can not have a network watched folder (Windows client restriction), therefore, can not watch a Virtual Box Shared folder.

-- More complicated to set up first time. You have to create the Windows VM.

Performance and resource constraints make both the Wine and Nixnote options not viable for my use. I have a medium sized database (approx 7000 notes) and both options are just too slow for my regular use.

I'd like Linux support. Something distributed through the Ubuntu Software Center would be nice. I don't know, there are a good amount of companies that are able to release their application for Linux. Mozilla and its browser, Firefox, is kind of a good example. I don't see why an independent developer, in his spare time, could come up with Nixnote - a fully functional client - and Evernote, the corporation, can not.

~shrug~

I guess I'll just use the web interface until a different company comes along with something more palatable.

And just exactly why do you "assume" EN is not capable of putting together a Linux client? . After all, they've got the know how to put out a web, Mac, iOS, Windows, Win7, Android, etc client. That's pretty silly on your part, I would say.

~shrug~

• 3 weeks later...

Yep. Note that I recently switched to 4.1 branch of Virtual Box. The 4.0 stable version was missing functions I wanted and the 4.1 version is getting very close to stable.

I love VirtualBox and agree that their ability to represent Windows apps as native in Ubuntu is getting VERY good. Unfortunately for me, I use Ubuntu for software development and between two browsers, a debugger, Maven, and Eclipse, I am already out of memory without even running a VM!!!

And no, the boss won't get me a new laptop....

Hmmm. You could probably work around this.

I use a 512MB Ram/18MB Shared Video Ram setting for my Windows VM. This is adequate for the few applications that I use in the VM. It is also adequate because Sqlite works well in low memory environments. More memory for the VM would be better, but, this setting is good enough.

Suggested workaround:

- Close VM via "Save Machine State" when not in use. Have the Windows client open but idle when saving.

- Close e.g Browser when you want to use the Windows VM. Most browsers can eat up 500MB without blinking an eye.

- Re-Start the Windows VM from the saved state. This takes less than 15 seconds on my system.

- Sync Windows client

- Work in Windows client until maintenance tasks completed

- Sync again to save changes to service

- Close (Save Machine State) VM again. Restart e.g. browser.

You also have the option of continuing to use the Nixnote client. It is functionally pretty complete and with your initially small database (you mentioned about 500 primarily text notes) should be fine for resource utilization.

• Like 2

Hmmm. You could probably work around this.

I use a 512MB Ram/8MB Shared Video Ram setting for my Windows VM. This is adequate for the few applications that I use in the VM. It is also adequate because Sqlite works well in low memory environments. More memory for the VM would be better, but, this setting is good enough.

Suggested workaround:

- Close VM via "Save Machine State" when not in use. Have the Windows client open but idle when saving.

- Close e.g Browser when you want to use the Windows VM. Most browsers can eat up 500MB without blinking an eye.

- Re-Start the Windows VM from the saved state. This takes less than 15 seconds on my system.

- Sync Windows client

- Work in Windows client until maintenance tasks completed

- Sync again to save changes to service

- Close (Save Machine State) VM again. Restart e.g. browser.

You also have the option of continuing to use the Nixnote client. It is functionally pretty complete and with your initially small database (you mentioned about 500 primarily text notes) should be fine for resource utilization.

Good stuff. I'll create a new VM of WindowsXP that is extremely stripped down so it'll run on 500MB or less of RAM (today mine take 1.5GB). Then I can start and stop from the disk suspend state...smart!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey,

I'm another Linux User.

First of all, I love seeing a Chrome App of Evernote,

as this is a step further to real integration on "every device"

I was quite disappointed to read "every device" and missout on my main operating System.

Linux is not such a minority as many would think.

Its a full Desktop with tons of software.

I miss so many tools on windows, that I cannot use it for software development.

Writing a Linux application does not mean writing 50 Applications for 50 Linux Distributions.

Ubuntu is the most popular Linux branch,

so that would already please most customers on Linux.

for the rest one would need like 1-2 more clients if you want to cover all systems with a proper installer.

An alternative would also be to throw up an open source client.

Afterall,

Evernote is not just a desktop client,

it is a service across many platforms.

• Level 5*

Search the forum and you will see that Evernote have said that they are not going to build a Linux client.

They have an API for the service and so you are free to write your own if you are so inclined...

Linux desktop share is only 2% right?

But look on the people behind that 2%, most of them are advanced, techie intelligent users who are more likely to use Evernote than the 80% grandmas and grandpas out there that use windows machine because they had no choice.

I'd expect EN at least to support Nixnote and make sure it's development continues.

Thinking twice before purchasing premium account.

I'd expect EN at least to support Nixnote

EN has never shied away from steering Linux users to Nixnote (the app formerly known as Nevernote.)

We've said this before - and we're not ashamed of this: Evernote is a for-profit company. Our decisions on where to place our development resources are often driven as to where we feel will best serve our Premium, paid userbase. The number of Linux users in Evernote is an extremely small percentage of our overall usage. Premium even less-so. Not enough for us to design our own solution for at this time.

Until then, we're extremely pleased with the Nixnote solution that has been developed on our API, and we're happy to point users in that direction, as well as toward Evernote Web.

There are many talented people out there that aren't employees of Evernote. Someday, we hope they all are one of us :)

Nevernote is pretty rich on features, since it implements full bi-directional synchronization. I don't think there's anything else close to that.

Try NeverNote.

We don't plan to build and maintain our own Linux client, but we're told that version 4 works pretty well under Wine, and we'd encourage open source developers to contribute to a Linux client like NeverNote:

http://nevernote.sourceforge.net/

FWIW: I just happen to be doing one of my periodic retests of Nixnote (Nevernote) as I type. It does have some very nice features which are not available in other clients, e.g. Hiliting, View Source, Selective Downloads, ...

Evernote has been providing ongoing support for Linux clippers in Chrome and Firefox and the Web Client, while missing a few features, works well in a Linux desktop system.

Not perfect, but, certainly usable.

I use Linux and i'm a premium member. I know i pay for the cloud service and that is fine, EN is great with or without a native Linux client. I also would love to see a native EN client for Linux, but the web client is ok for me. The only thing that is missing is a way to access the notes offline. Maybe a extension for google chrome or firefox?

Sure, i could use VirtualBox to have the Windows client running, but that means:

• i need a licensed copy of Windows
  • it cost way more system resources as an native client or a extension

Wine? Only if EN would build a client with integrated Wine, like Teamviewer does. Setup a whole Wine environment just for taking notes is no option for me.

If someone has a good hint how to store notes offline on Linux, don't hesitate to tell us/me.

I'll take a look at Nix-/Nevernote. Last time i do, i wasn't that happy with it, the UI is horrible.

• Like 1

I'd expect EN at least to support Nixnote and make sure it's development continues.

Evernote has been more than helpful and supportive in NixNote's development. If I were to make one request it would be that they publish a roadmap as to where their API is going so we're not caught by surprise, but I understand why they don't. Other than that, I've received wonderful help from them when I encounter problems or have questions. They've even provided suggestions & helped find a few bugs in the source! I really can't ask for much more support than I've received.

• Like 1
... i wasn't that happy with it, the UI is horrible.

Then you'll still find it horrible. I stink at UI development & find it extremely painful.

I am working on a 2.0 version that is quite different and will hopefully address a lot of the current problems (and probably create all new ones). Part of that will be a new UI. Unfortunately it is a very long way from being ready.

• Level 5*

@spktpkt: Developers generally prefer to hear specific comments about deficiencies, rather than blanket statements like "the UI is horrible". Did you take the time to point out what you thought was so bad to baumgarr?

• Like 1
... i wasn't that happy with it, the UI is horrible.

Then you'll still find it horrible. I stink at UI development & find it extremely painful.

I am working on a 2.0 version that is quite different and will hopefully address a lot of the current problems (and probably create all new ones). Part of that will be a new UI. Unfortunately it is a very long way from being ready.

Nah. Stink is way to strong a term. I had almost zero learning curve for features which matched to the Windows client. Took a bit of RTFM and testing to see what the extra features did, but, at most an hour or so to get up to speed.

My problem with Nixnote is that it does not scale well or reliably.

• Like 1

Linux desktop share is only 2% right?

But look on the people behind that 2%, most of them are advanced, techie intelligent users who are more likely to use Evernote than the 80% grandmas and grandpas out there that use windows machine because they had no choice.

Thinking twice before purchasing premium account.

I think that's where I disagree. Not that Linux users aren't techie intelligent users, but I think it is incorrect to assume techies are much more likely to use Evernote than grandmas and grandpas.

• Level 5

I think that's where I disagree. Not that Linux users aren't techie intelligent users, but I think it is incorrect to assume techies are much more likely to use Evernote than grandmas and grandpas.

Tough to admit, but I am married to a grandmother and she uses it. And her 81-year-old father uses Evernote also.

• Like 2

I was able to use Evernote on Ubuntu 11.10 by installing W.I.N.E. first. It's been running without any problem for a month now. If you'd like to try this follow these steps.

1. Open a terminal

2. type - sudo apt-get install wine

(the system will ask for your password, enter it then hit "enter".

3. After "Wine" is installed Download "Evernote.exe" for Windows.

4. Find the WINE program.

5.Click "UNINSTALL WINE SOFTWARE"

6. When this box opens click "install"

7. Add the Evernote.exe

(just follow the onscreen instructions)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Level 5*

Search the forum and you will see that Evernote have said that they are not going to build a Linux client.

They have an API for the service and so you are free to write your own if you are so inclined...

• Level 5

@spktkpkt I think you're being unfair on WINE. It's not at all a bear to install and maintain. I have the Windows Evernote client running just fine on it and find the WINE maintenance part of it very easy. If you were on WINE 1.4 (I'm on Release Candidate 6 until Ubuntu upgrades me) you'd find the experience just fine, I think.

Martin (a geek not a grandmother) :-)

@Martin. Has 1.4 fixed the Evernote sqlite performance issues? I see that Wine 1.4 went stable yesterday (2012-03-07).

I have been ignoring Wine recently pending my planned rebuild/update to 12.04 LTS from 10.04 LTS.

• Level 5

@Owyn Ah! I see the word "performance", something IRL I know a lot about. I've not heard mention of Sqlite being fixed in the WINE chatter - but then I wouldn't have noticed it if it had been as I wasn't really aware Evernote was using it.

Martin

I have both EN Windows + Wine (out of date at the moment) and EN Windows in a XP VM installed on the same system.

The Wine install is/was literally an order of magnitude slower than the VM install for database operations.

Just quick tested UB 10.04 / Wine 1.4 / Evernote Windows 4.5.2.5904 and latest 4.5.4.6387. Performance problem appears to be fixed. Need to do a longer test to see how it works in production (just starting a 24 hour dog food test).

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

@Martin

I extended the test of Evernote + Wine for almost a week. Used it instead of the Web client.

My conclusion at this time is that this is almost a usable solution in Linux. The memory and cpu load is about the same as the web client and performance is equivalent to using EN Windows in a VM. The memory and cpu load is materially less than the VM.

The problem is that there a lot of UI problems with the Wine + ENW solution. The extent of these problems makes me class this as an unreliable solution. This is an upgrade from my previous rating of it as an unusable solution due to performance problems.

Going back to my Web client plus EN Windows via VirtualBox configuration.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Can someone please point me to the official linux client request topic?

There is no "official" Linux client request thread. I'm sure if you use the board search function you'll find some hits. However, EN has been very clear that they will not be developing one & leave that to third party devs. You may want to check out Nixnote - search the board on that for more info, should you need it.

• Like 1

There is no "official" Linux client request thread. I'm sure if you use the board search function you'll find some hits. However, EN has been very clear that they will not be developing one & leave that to third party devs. You may want to check out Nixnote - search the board on that for more info, should you need it.

It seems this very topic has just became the official REQUEST: Evernote for Linux topic ;)

+1!

It's worth mentioning that by developing multiplatform applications a software company demonstrates that its development process is modern and flexible :)

• Level 5*
It's worth mentioning that by developing multiplatform applications a software company demonstrates that its development process is modern and flexible :)

It ought to also be worth mentioning that Evernote already meets this standard.

You were merged into it, actually :)

Reminds me of the old Palmolive dishwashing liquid ad/slogan: "You're soaking in it." :)

You were merged into it, actually :)

I was merged into it? Is it a word play or is it just me who see the topic as REQUEST: Evernote for Linux? :)

It ought to also be worth mentioning that Evernote already meets this standard.

Without native (not via Wine) version for linux it's hardly cross-platform. Also I'd consider rich web applications a sign of company keeping up with the trend. Ask Mozilla ;)

- - -

One more thing - my opinion on desktop clients for cloud services. What's the point? What's the point of having a cloud=really_mobile service if you need, as I'd call it, a stationary (desktop) client. Are users really expected to run around and install client applications on every computer they use? Here's where web based version fnctionality scope comes into play. IMO maintenance and offline storage features should be the only features that differentiate web based versions from their desktop counterparts.

And while I haven't compared the desktop evernote client to the web version it seems to me the web version is pretty functional. Some other services I won't name went some pitiful way sporting not much above what one would regard as logging in and viewing. From my experience a shining example of how an interface of a cloud service should look and function like is http://www.mediafire.com/

I just hope evernote will go the mediafire way so the topic won't even be needed ;)

• Level 5*

@nmboma: You original request was merged by a moderator onto the end of this existing thread, whose title probably has the word 'REQUEST' added by a moderator.

My point about multi-platform is that Evernote already puts out native versions for a number of platforms; the fact that Linux is not one of those platforms doesn't make it any less true.

@jefito

Ah, I see.

Let's leave the cross-platform thing. I was simply trying to stir up some feathers ;)

I would also like to thank BurgersNFries for the NixNote tip. BTW, is there some sort of a reference table comparing Web based evernote vs desktop evernote vs NixNote?

Instead of building a new Linux client from scratch why doesn’t Evernote just contribute to the existing work which already has been made for Nixnote?

Nixnote could use a nicer GUI and the Evernote developers could help out there. ;-)

Instead of building a new Linux client from scratch why doesn’t Evernote just contribute to the existing work which already has been made for Nixnote?

Probably for the same reason EN has chosen not to make their own linux

client - balancing time & resources against their priority list.

• Level 5*
Instead of building a new Linux client from scratch why doesn’t Evernote just contribute to the existing work which already has been made for Nixnote? Nixnote could use a nicer GUI and the Evernote developers could help out there. ;-)

NixNote is a third-party program. The work that Evernote does for third-party programmers is to provide its API, and support for the API. If they wanted to do UI on Linux they would just do it, and have it be an actual Evernote product.

• 3 weeks later...

Any future plans to release a Linux (ubuntu) client? As a Premium member, it would make my membership worthwhile. Thanks.

(sigh)

srsly, i'm a paid customer, and i use linux system, also i'm tired use web evernote, its not easy to switch around these tabs , programs, also i close alot by accidents. please give us native linux version!

Any future plans to release a Linux (ubuntu) client? As a Premium member, it would make my membership worthwhile. Thanks.

(sigh)

• Level 5*

Could it be an option to try to solicit a quote to develop Linux client from Evernote and to run a kickstarter campaign to raise the funds?

What do you think?

Hi Doff. Welcome to the forums!

Interesting idea :) The Evernote API is out there, so a third-party developer could make this happen with some kind of integration. If you could get a developer on board, you are good to go.

I can't speak for Evernote, of course, but my guess is that they are unwilling to take on the project, because they have already decided not to devote resources to the platform, not because they lack the money. It isn't a one-time thing for them, after all, but support they have to continue for years and years. In order to maintain parity across different clients, they'd have to hire a team to keep updating the application. A third-party wouldn't be operating under the same constraints, and they might even be able to make money off sales of their application to Linux users.

doff, i think that's is a swell idea, we might put some people together to develop a linux based evernote client, without any ugly ui design,and we can allow programmer put their AD in the client to makeup to them.

Could it be an option to try to solicit a quote to develop Linux client from Evernote and to run a kickstarter campaign to raise the funds?

What do you think?

Hi Doff. Welcome to the forums!

Interesting idea :) The Evernote API is out there, so a third-party developer could make this happen with some kind of integration. If you could get a developer on board, you are good to go.

I can't speak for Evernote, of course, but my guess is that they are unwilling to take on the project, because they have already decided not to devote resources to the platform, not because they lack the money. It isn't a one-time thing for them, after all, but support they have to continue for years and years. In order to maintain parity across different clients, they'd have to hire a team to keep updating the application. A third-party wouldn't be operating under the same constraints, and they might even be able to make money off sales of their application to Linux users.

:D

At least it saves on typing, eh?

Great attitude. You realise some people don't live on these forums and land on this page via a search engine?

Also worth noting that a much greater number of people these days use multiple operating systems and multiple devices. Linux is particularly useful on older systems. So I can use EN on my PC, Mac, iPad and Droid phone with a proper application (and they're all great), but have to use the crappy web interface on my Linux machine.

Apologies for the anger, but I love EN and find it very frustrating that this situation exists, although I do understand the economics of the problem.

:D

At least it saves on typing, eh?

Great attitude. You realise some people don't live on these forums and land on this page via a search engine?

Also worth noting that a much greater number of people these days use multiple operating systems and multiple devices. Linux is particularly useful on older systems. So I can use EN on my PC, Mac, iPad and Droid phone with a proper application (and they're all great), but have to use the crappy web interface on my Linux machine.

Apologies for the anger, but I love EN and find it very frustrating that this situation exists, although I do understand the economics of the problem.

All the poster had to do was read what the last post was before he posted. (That's pretty much common "netitquette", regardless how someone ends up on this or any message board..) If that's a hardship, I think the lack of a linux client is the least of his/her issues.

+1 on a Linux client, I have been suffering with the slowness of the web interface and the lose of its tab among other +100 tabs :|

Not to mention offline access...

Can't we all just contribute to the NixNote one at least ? Can any body here invite one of its developers to give us a kick start on code base while evaluating what features/enhancements are on top of priories list...

Can any body here invite one of its developers to give us a kick start on code base while evaluating what features/enhancements are on top of priories list...

I'm not sure what you mean. The code has always been available.

As for new features, the next release will have OAuth support and fixes some bugs, but otherwise very few new features. I don't plan to do many major new features to the current Java code base, but if you have something that is easy to implement I'm always willing to listen. The majority of my time is being spent doing a rewrite as a native client to avoid some of the memory & speed limitations of the current one.

• Like 6
  • 2 weeks later...

hi everyone.

+1 for evernote for linux!

ok enough of that.

the creators of nixnote is working on a version 2. It's going to use C++ and Qt so it will definitely be faster and more memory efficient than nixnote v1, which uses java. So... to me it would be quite similar to a native evernote client. Maybe legit enough for evernote to put a link to nixnote on their download page or smth. Currently there is nothing much to show, but there is much to hope for!

https://sourceforge.net/apps/phpbb/nevernote/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=243

support!!

As I have said before, Nixnote is a very good client that unfortunately does not scale well due to high resource usage. It was unusable when my main database was just 8000 notes (currently approx 11000). No problems at all when I used it with my 100 note test account.

Will definitely be retesting when v2 is available.

• Level 5*

I'm adding my voice to the request. Linux users shouldn't be shunned by software companies. Be nice and contribute.

You are not being shunned. There is an API. Anyone is welcome to develop for the platform. Give a listen to Podcast #8 (18:03-18:59) see what they think, and if possible, please offer an argument that might persuade them to change their minds :)

I have links to the podcasts at the bottom of this page http://www.princeton...multimedia.html

I'm adding my voice to the request. Linux users shouldn't be shunned by software companies. Be nice and contribute.

Pretty much every company has to work within their resources in order to stay successful. The fact that they did not develop a linux client doesn't mean you are shunned. Just that they are prioritizing things in order to remain successful. A company owes that to their existing customer/clients.

In addition to what GM said, if you read the posts directly above yours, there IS a linux client but not put out by EN. Since it's open source you can either contribute your coding expertise and/or your $$$.

• 3 weeks later...

In my opinion is Nixnote currently a very bad option for Linux users. Evernote's web-application is much better than the current implementation of Nixnote.

• Fedora: Installing the rpm package is no problem but starting Nevernote did not work. There seems to be a missing dependency or a the installed JDK was not compatible.
  • Ubuntu: They have a PPA Repository with the slightly outdated 1.2 version. At least this version works.

But Nixnote is still very slow. I have only ~600 notes in my account and Nixnote takes VERY long to even start with this amount of notes. It seems like Nixnote is using some very inefficient algorithms. :(

I really hope that the rewrite for version 2.0 will change this.

While no official desktop client exists, there are a couple of options, the best of which, to my mind, is Everpad. There's also an open-source clone in NixNote, but I've found it to be clunky and a bit of an eyesore. You can also create a website-specific application with Chrome or Fogger. In my experience, a combination of Everpad and an Evernote Fogger app is the best solution, and of course browser addons exist to further enhance the Evernote experience on Linux.

Nix Note is not suitable for my use, unfortunately.

I'm looking for a Linux specific implementation, not Java.

Would appreciate Evernote corp getting a developer to address that.

Hey run a Kickstarter fundraiser - I'm sure lot's of people will chip in to bootstrap the process.

hi. My update on nixnote: It's just too slow and uses a large amount of memory. Evernote run under wine 1.5.12 installed from playonlinux was actually a lot faster. Only problem is quite small, that you can't just copy paste stuff from web pages as you normally do on evernote on windows( It doesn't store all that fancy formatting and pictures, just text), and no support for recording notes in the client(so just record separately), and fonts not displayed properly. But then again, it's no different from nixnote. So, my conclusion was to settle for Evernote under wine.

I'm sure most of you are now aware that windows 8 sucs pretty bad for the average user and that a lot of ppl would most likely turn to either mac or linux in the mere future unless microsoft do something about it. Now would be a good time to invest in a native linux evernote client (=

linux mint 13 Maya Cinnamon

• Level 5*
Hey run a Kickstarter fundraiser - I'm sure lot's of people will chip in to bootstrap the process.

Realistically, Evernote hasn't seemed inclined to devote any of its funding towards Linux client development. So why not run a Kickstarter for NixNote, whose developer has shown an interest in Evernote for Linux?

• Like 1

I am running the Windows Evernote client on my Debian 6.04 box by using WINE. Works great. Even drag and drop work fine. The only thing I can't seem to get working is the folder sync. I suspect that it's a permissions thing but I'm not sure yet.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5*

Dear Evernote Evangelist I won't start trolling with you... It is not one of my habits...

I just wanted to point out that some users will lose the opportunity of using a great product just because they use the wrong OS.

(READ: Because Evernote doesn't want to do a Linux client).

I will be glad of offering my time as programmer for £80 per hour.

So more than happy to provide Evernote my services if they need them.

But I think they probably don't since they don't want a Linux client right? :D

To tease apart Metrodon's message a little bit more: Evernote offers access to the same API that they use to build their client, so developers are welcome, and even encouraged to build integrations, including anyone who wants to create a Linux client.

Evernote has chosen so far not to invest their resources (time, money, and manpower) into development of this client. I don't know why. It is too bad for Linux folks, of course, but I think a lot of companies have followed a similar path of focusing their limited resources on areas where they can have the biggest impact. If I had to guess, I would say it is simply a matter of priorities. One thing to note, I think, is that a significant number of users come to Evernote from the mobile platform, and so Evernote has poured a lot of its resources into this. If Evernote is aiming to bring the service to 1 billion people (this is what the CEO has said), then I doubt putting their money into Linux development (as opposed to servers and infrastructure) will advance them very far in this direction.

To reiterate what Metrodon said, it isn't that Evernote is opposed to a Linux client, in the way that some proprietary software developers might be, but rather that they have left it up to developers. This is just my take on it, though. Feel free to request the client! After four years, though, and great success with their current clients, I am thinking Evernote will probably not change course...

• Level 5*

@2dvsio: You claimed that it's easy, but evidently it's not worth it for you to make one yourself. That's exactly the sort of calculation that Evernote goes through as well. They appear to welcome any contribution to the Evernote ecosystem, but they don't necessarily feel impelled to devote their resources towards providing support for all platforms, including Linux. Apparently they don't feel that it's worth it either. Meanwhile, baumgarr has created a client, but how much support from the Linux community has he gotten? (That's a real question -- I don't know whether he's gotten any, or solicited it.) Seems to me that that's an existing code base that does a lot of what a true Evernote client should do; why not start there, since Evernote doesn't seem interested in producing one themselves?

• Like 2
  • Level 5*

For those of you who don't know, baumgarr has a publicly shared Evernote notebook (https://www.evernote...mgarr/nevernote), a website (http://nevernote.sourceforge.net), and some information about how you can help support his project (http://nevernote.sou...information.htm), which amounts mainly to donations of your time to the project and/or donations to charities in lieu of direct support. Pretty cool, if you ask me, and definitely something worth supporting.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*

I guess because in the end, the linux community is so small that it isn't worth the effort of supporting.

The options are pretty clear if you want to use Evernote with Linux, you use the web or you use baumgarr's app.

Or, you choose a more widely adopted OS.

This really isn't that hard.

• Like 2

(Speaking of trolls...)

@2dvsio: You claimed that it's easy, but evidently it's not worth it for you to make one yourself. That's exactly the sort of calculation that Evernote goes through as well.

With the difference that if I had a Linux client I will most likely pay for a Premium account. And, well, those money goes to Evernote, not to me.

Not really sure what point you're trying to make here. You're a programmer. You think it's easy to make a linux client. So if you want to do one, fine. If not, then as Jeff said, that's pretty much the decision EN came to as well. (For whatever reason(s)). If you're feeling magnanimous, you can always donate any money you would charge to EN. Although they may not accept "donations", I'm sure you could buy premium accounts for you & several of your friends with any money you would get from your app.

For the record, baumgar does NOT charge & prefers donations to charities. That's pretty special, if you ask me.

So why Evernote is not supporting it or backing it in an informal way?

Providing a laptop/money to the developer or for example premium accounts to developers that helps him.

You'll see that you'll have some talented guys appearing if you offer some kind of perks.

Why? Who knows? Probably for the same reason they decided to not make their own linux client in the first place. And the EN folks are pretty darned talented themselves. But since you're so big into thinking the linux client should be supported financially, I will repost GM's post that has links to where YOU can donate/contribute to the linux client.

For those of you who don't know, baumgarr has a publicly shared Evernote notebook (https://www.evernote...mgarr/nevernote), a website (http://nevernote.sourceforge.net), and some information about how you can help support his project (http://nevernote.sou...information.htm), which amounts mainly to donations of your time to the project and/or donations to charities in lieu of direct support. Pretty cool, if you ask me, and definitely something worth supporting.

• Level 5*

Or use the web or use Wine or use Baumgarr's app.

There are plenty of options, but what there isn't and isn't likely to be is an Evernote built or Evernote funded Linux client.

I hope you've got it now, because I can't think how any of us can make it any clearer for you.

• Thanks 1