Everpad (Evernote for Linux)

I just wanted to draw attention to Everpad, an absolutely wonderful Evernote client for Linux written by Vladimir Yakovlev. It is beautifully integrated into Ubuntu's Unity interface. It implements a Unity Lens which automatically searches Evernote notes through the Dash.

I have been wanting to switch over to Evernote for a while now, but the lack of Linux support prevented me from doing so. Because of Everpad, I will now be signing up for a premium Evernote account.

If there are any other Linux users out there, definitely check out Everpad.

And to the Evernote team: It would be great if you could show your support for Everpad and Mr. Yakovlev- his efforts have enabled me (and probably many others) to finally adopt Evernote.

David

Hmm... Hadn't tried that.

No, it appears that it is not possible to print from Everpad.

Once a note edited / created in Everpad is synced with Evernote, you can print it from the web-based Evernote interface, but that's less than optimal.

David

I don't even see a print preview on the web app.....

Before I print stuff, I tend to optimize the printout with different margins and/or font size so that it doesn't end up with just one line on a separate page.

Nixnote can't do that either, so I guess I'm still looking :(

Thus far I have been very disappointed with the available options for Linux. So far the only solution that I have found is to use Wine or PlayOnLinux and install the windows version. These ports just lack a lot of the functionality I require to use on a daily basis.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys! I'm truly thankful for this post, and for Everpad for that matter. I don't really use evernote for printing, mainly taking notes and viewing them digitally across multiple platforms. For a VERY LONG time I've been looking for the perfect linux evernote client. It was the only reason I was reluctant to switch to linux - for the sake of the hundreds upon hundreds of notes I've already have. It was so bad I even considered wanting to write my own. Nixnote was alright, but it doesn't match the formatting accurately, was slow and memory inefficient.

I believe Everpad is the closest answer we've been looking for. +1 and thumbs up for Everpad! :)

I look forward to contributing to it's development as my technical prowess grows (:

• 3 weeks later...

mah, i hope the evernote team will write an official full featured client for linux.

Everpad is ok, but it work in unity (then in ubuntu, ubuntu phone os, ubuntu tv etc etc), but if you like kubuntu or arch linux or simply you dislike unity?

In the past they wrote the development of linux client is an economical lose, i'm asking myself, blackberry os or windows mobile or HP webOS are economical win ????

They have the source code of their client

It exist for windows, it exist for mac, how expensive is to port it in Qt ???

Or simply evernote don't have know how to develop/port their software in Qt ???

• 2 weeks later...

I'm using Linux Mint 13 Mate (Gnome 2.x fork). Evernote Web (in Chrome Browser) and NixNote will do the job for me -- but, of course, it would be nice to have a native Linux Evernote. But I'm not complaining. I love the program.

Interesting but not very appealing for the KDE crowd. Even if they introduced a linux client, it would likely be gtk-only. As a linux user, I've learned to live with the web interface.

I like the web interface -- but it's nice to have the notes downloaded to my hard drive as well. I gave up on KDE at version 4. I guess I don't do well with change.

Interesting but not very appealing for the KDE crowd. Even if they introduced a linux client, it would likely be gtk-only. As a linux user, I've learned to live with the web interface.

I like the web interface -- but it's nice to have the notes downloaded to my hard drive as well. I gave up on KDE at version 4. I guess I don't do well with change.

True, I forgot about having it stored locally because I'm on a desktop with a constant internet connection. I do use the client on my macbook and tablet for just that reason.

You should try KDE again--it keeps getting better and better. Version 4.10 is definitely the best yet (to be released 6 Feb, but RC3 is already available).

• Level 5*

Just adding my 5 cents in that Evernote should be getting linux support. I'm considering writing Evernote once a week asking them about it.

You needn't bother. They're well aware of the desire for this, but don't appear to be interested. See, for example, this lengthy topic: http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/22658-request-evernote-for-linux/, where the CTO comments on the topic. I'm not all that sure that asking them every week will add any extra motivation.

You should try KDE again--it keeps getting better and better. Version 4.10 is definitely the best yet (to be released 6 Feb, but RC3 is already available).

I hear KDE 4 has gotten much better and easier on resources. What I like about Mate is that it's low on resource usage, so works well on my "vintage" computers. Laptop and desktop are both closing in on ten years old but both going strong.

Just adding my 5 cents in that Evernote should be getting linux support. I'm considering writing Evernote once a week asking them about it.

I don't think it's going to happen. Evernote has been pretty clear about not having the resources to do it -- but that they have supplied the "hooks" for others to make a Linux client. Have you tried NixNote? Currently it works under Java, but I've read somewhere that a C++ version is in the works. I use it for saving notes locally (or even entering notes), plus the Evernote web client for convenience. Together they work out pretty well on Linux.

• 1 month later...

I just started using Everpad on my Xubuntu 12.10 box yesterday, and Evernote on my Nexus 7 tablet. Today my Everpad client stopped updating from Evernote, although it still updates TO Evernote. I'm not paying for premium until I can be assured this will stop. 

Okay, now downloading Nixnote, maybe that will work.

• Level 5*

I just started using Everpad on my Xubuntu 12.10 box yesterday, and Evernote on my Nexus 7 tablet. Today my Everpad client stopped updating from Evernote, although it still updates TO Evernote. I'm not paying for premium until I can be assured this will stop. 

Okay, now downloading Nixnote, maybe that will work.

EverPad isn't an Evernote product. Of course, you have the right to use the free service if it works for you, and not pay until you need the extra features. But paying for a premium account won't do anything for fixing EverPad.

There will be no official client for Linux, so a sensible thing to do is push for improvement of the web-based interface. To do this you need to state specifically, what features you'd like to see introduced.

To me everpad is even less useful than the current iteration of web evernote.

• 1 month later...

I just found, what seems to be, a decent way to ue the Evernote Android App on Linux using a VM.

http://www.cnx-software.com/2013/03/01/how-to-run-android-apps-in-linux-with-androvm/

As I play with VMs all day, I'm going to test this out and see how it goes.  I had an Android VM installed once but didn't find much use for it ...till now :)

I might not be able to drag'n drop bookmarks but who knows.  I'll give anything a try.  Sometimes I just don't want another tab....FireFox tend to chew up a lot of memory and one more tab with a lot of scripts running has been known to bog things down at times.

• 1 month later...

I've tried NixNote a couple of times and have been very unimpressed.  It's so *slow*.  Too slow.  And the user interface just doesn't even come close to rivaling the Windows Evernote interface.  It just feels too clunky to use to me.

I agree that we're never going to see an official Linux client - but I also agree that it seems bizarre that they see fit to do some of the clients they do while ignoring Linux.  I think that they're simply showing the general "corporate bias" against FOSS.  Linux is all about those "free software folk" - we want nothing to do with them...

Never mind that Linux just beats the pants off of Windows in pretty much every imaginable way.  The ONLY place Linux falls short is in precisely that area: support and backing from commercial entities.

Just my opinion...

Kip

I've gone back to a "Notebook" folder in my dropbox folder where I throw a bunch of subfolders and text files. They're always available locally and easily searchable using any desktop search software available for linux. At the moment I use both nepomuk (part of KDE) for basic search returns and recoll for more advanced searches.

Regarding features that we need in the web interface, JUST TWO would make a world of difference.  First, and this is the lesser of the two - LINK SUPPORT.  Real link support, with the ability to create links in the web interface.  Second, and I can't emphasize this strongly enough - PDF FILE PREVIEW / BROWSING in the note window.  Having to open the attachment icon EVERY SINGLE TIME is the biggest pain the the keister imaginable.  I scan tons of stuff, so most of my notes wind up being PDFs.  This one thing would just revolutionize Evernote web for me.

I have asked them for this several times over the course of years - no motion at all.

• 1 month later...

Hi all, regarding evernote on the ubuntu/linux platform. Nothing beats original Evernote, install it under "wine". It runs fast and is much better than the alternative like nixnote, nevernote and everpad. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

The lack of support in Linux is frustrating to say the least. Even under Linux I'm willing to purchase software for my business.

Anyway I'm running Ubuntu Linux 13.04 and WINE Windows7 emulation. For the last 3 days I've experienced a sync error. On the similar thread I posted my activity log and received no replies. What do you recommend I do besides deleting shared notebooks?

My web profile and Android phone have not synced the extensive work I did on my Ubuntu Linux laptop.

• Level 5*

Anyway I'm running Ubuntu Linux 13.04 and WINE Windows7 emulation. For the last 3 days I've experienced a sync error. On the similar thread I posted my activity log and received no replies. What do you recommend I do besides deleting shared notebooks?

You may have received no answer because this is a user forum, not an official support forum, and nobody has an answer that pertains. You get official support by opening a support request. That being said, the latest Windows client (5.02) has fixed at least some of the syncing problems that have been reported, at least in my case. You could give that a try. Obviously (or maybe not), if you haven't been able to sync from your laptop, neither the web client (which works directly off the Evernote servers) nor the Android client are going to be seeing your note database changes.
  • 10 months later...

Archived