REQUEST: Evernote for Linux

The web version has been upgraded to a tolerable level recently, so I don't feel it is quite so important to have a desktop client for linux anymore.  It would still be nice.

with web version you can't use evernote without a internet connection,

you can't export notes

you can't import notes

etc. etc.

If the web version is all you need, you don't need evernote :)

I have been using Evernote through Wine on Linux Mint 15 (XFCE)  both 32 and 64 bit versions. It runs pretty well.  But I would +1 for a native client. Not really expecting anything but its on my wish list. 

• Like 1

The web version has been upgraded to a tolerable level recently, so I don't feel it is quite so important to have a desktop client for linux anymore.  It would still be nice.

with web version you can't use evernote without a internet connection,

you can't export notes

you can't import notes

etc. etc.

If the web version is all you need, you don't need evernote :)

I would also add that the new PDF rendering engine in the web client taxes the X server to the point where the whole desktop experience is degraded. Given that this feature cannot be disabled, I have asked that a bug be filed against it.

I also use EN extensively in virtual machines and also use it extensively in my primary operating system. If there is not an EN client for my OS, then the web client needs to be well-behaved.

• Level 5

Which PDF rendering engine? Are you talking about Firefox's pdf.js or some other? As I happen to follow the Firefox Builds FORUM of the Mozillazine newsgroup I think I've heard of enhancements to it in recent test releases (Nightlies). For me pdf.js works just fine whether on the released level or the Nightlies.

Or is this a DIFFERENT PDF rendering scenario?

Which PDF rendering engine? Are you talking about Firefox's pdf.js or some other? As I happen to follow the Firefox Builds FORUM of the Mozillazine newsgroup I think I've heard of enhancements to it in recent test releases (Nightlies). For me pdf.js works just fine whether on the released level or the Nightlies.

Martin, that's good input. My setup is Firefox under Solaris but I am unfamiliar with the underlying voodoo. All I know is that once the web EN client starting showing PDFs, the X server process started consuming lots of CPU and the whole desktop slowed to a crawl.

If you know of a fix or can tell me where to download and install something to make things better, I would appreciate it.

Martin, that's good input. My setup is Firefox under Solaris but I am unfamiliar with the underlying voodoo. All I know is that once the web EN client starting showing PDFs, the X server process started consuming lots of CPU and the whole desktop slowed to a crawl.

If you know of a fix or can tell me where to download and install something to make things better, I would appreciate it.

martyscholes, if i've good understood, you are speaking about the embedded PDF rendering in notes with PDF attached.

On linux, with chromium i don't experience this performance issue.

With firefox i got a 25% on two CPU threads (dual core + hyper threading, then 25% on a core)

P.S: Sooner or later, a native client will come. Evernote can't ignore linux while others are not. Until EN continue ignoring Linux, i will use it only for testing.

• Level 5*

It is very very rare for Evernote to talk about future plans. They have very explicitly said that there are no plans to build a Linux client.

Evernote can happily continue to ignore Linux, the vast majority of software companies do.

It is very very rare for Evernote to talk about future plans. They have very explicitly said that there are no plans to build a Linux client.

Evernote can happily continue to ignore Linux, the vast majority of software companies do.

Thank you for your opinion

(except microsoft, "the vast majority of (littlesmall) software companies do ;)  )

• Like 1
  • Level 5

@martyscholes I'm sorry to say I don't. Just trying to clarify the problem and suggest you try Firefox Nightly as a second browser - to see if it helps. If not then you might want to file a bug with Mozilla.

Let us know how you get on.

• Level 5*

Thank you for your opinion

(except microsoft, "the vast majority of (littlesmall) software companies do ;)  )

I've no idea about MS, I haven't used a Windows machine for years.

But back in the land of reality - the vast majority of software companies don't build software for Linux. A small number do and there is an enthusiastic user community but from a revenue point of view it is also a very small (less than 2% of the desktop market) and pretty cheap (students, nerds) community and so for commercial organisations who don't make money from enterprise support (like Red Hat for example) then it is not a particularly attractive market.

martyscholes, if i've good understood, you are speaking about the embedded PDF rendering in notes with PDF attached.

On linux, with chromium i don't experience this performance issue.

With firefox i got a 25% on two CPU threads (dual core + hyper threading, then 25% on a core)

P.S: Sooner or later, a native client will come. Evernote can't ignore linux while others are not. Until EN continue ignoring Linux, i will use it only for testing.

I have given up on a native EN client, but what kept me going was the web client, which is now broken. For what it's worth, Firefox doesn't seem to be the problem. The X server, Xnewt in my case, is being hammered every time the EN web client tries to render a PDF. Maybe it's Mozilla, maybe not. All I know is it started with the web upgrade a few months ago and there seems to be no way to make it stop. At all. Not being able to stop this behavior seems myopic, but there are smart people at EN, so there must be a sane reason for it.

@martyscholes I'm sorry to say I don't. Just trying to clarify the problem and suggest you try Firefox Nightly as a second browser - to see if it helps. If not then you might want to file a bug with Mozilla.

Let us know how you get on.

Thanks for the feedback. That seems a touch extreme. I never could find the build instructions for FF under Solaris.

• 4 months later...

I am going to chime in here and say that I am well aware that Evernote is not obligated to make a Linux desktop client, but I am voicing my support for a Linux client anyway. For me personally (and many others I am sure), I choose to use Evernote, because it is very close to being device/OS agnostic.

Evernote is better than most at supporting multiple formats and operating systems, but I expect them to set the standard for data access and portability. I've been a premium subscriber for a few years now, and I would be lying if I said that their policy to date on this issue was not disappointing.

The "value add" proposition for Evernote is dwindling with competing/similar products coming to the market, and Microsoft, Google, and Apple are closing the gaps with their own offerings as well (that are even more competitively priced).  Saying "the web client is available on Linux" or "a random developer created their own Linux client in their free time" are both cop-outs, as everyone knows those options do not support the same range of functionality as a true local client from Evernote would.

In my opinion, OneNote is a far superior local client to Evernote (in a Windows environment at least) and in the latest Office365 version with SkyDrive/OneDrive integration, it can pretty much do anything Evernote can in the cloud and more. However (and very unfortunately), most everything in OneNote is also obviously designed to integrate solely with the MS Office suite and Windows products. Personally, I am trying to set up my application usage so that I am not coerced into adopting an entire ecosystem of products, and if Evernote added native Linux support, I would feel much more comfortable making it the primary destination for my digital life/files.

Changing their product roadmap and supporting Linux would go a long way in reassuring people like myself that my data is truly my own and that they are serious about supporting my ability to access it on my own terms. I like Evernote as a service and enjoy using it, but there is a reason that people pay a premium for Dropbox storage (over Google Drive, OneDrive, iCloud, etc) - because it truly supports all major formats and operating systems indiscriminately. I think this is the route that Evernote needs to take in order to retain my premium subscription over the long term.

I understand that not everyone has these same requirements, and they are quite happy dealing with Evernote exclusively in their Windows/OSX worlds. I do not expect Evernote to make a major shift in their policy due to a few scattered posts on these boards, but if Phil Libin is truly focused on building a 100 year startup and becoming the 'Nike for your mind,' the decision to not support Linux seems awfully short-sighted.

• 5 weeks later...

I'd love to see a Linux native client for Evernote. Although it makes compete sense that Evernote don't want to pour money into a support for a little used OS.

Perhaps there could be some kind of crowd-funding effort that they may consider. Give as a figure Evernote lol. What's it worth and we'll crowd fund it.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have evernote on mmy imac, 2 pc laptops and an android tablet.. 

mostly I use onenote as I find it a little more intuitive, it is on the same devices, what would make me use evernote? a linux client. 

add 1 more for linux, I have 3 linux boxes in addition to  mac, 2 pc's and android tablet; being able to use evernote between all my things would make me use evernote instead of onenote (that I find  more intuitive)

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I have moved my development environment from Windows to Ubuntu.  I'm finding it to be a faster platform and am using it for more things as well.  But, I would really like to have a client for Evernote on this platform.

I can use the web client, but it doesn't give me the same capabilities as the Windows client.

This thread has over 400 messages asking for Linux support.  Please Evernote, it's time to make the investment.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

With Evernote for Linux does not have to use Wine. Currently, the program crashes during synchronization. :(

I also see that the version of Linux would enjoy success. Topic "REQUEST: Evernote for Linux" was seen more than 100,000 times.

I use evernote on web, and on Android.

• 3 weeks later...

I too pay for Evernote Pro and use Ubuntu for everything. I don't like the open source versions (like NixNote) which are in existence because Evernote won't make a native client. I am a paying customer and demand a Linux client. This is 2014, all sorts of things are being made natively for Linux now, let's see Evernote do the same! 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't run Windows at home at all, and would like to turn it off at work if I could. I use various flavours of Linux at home and my wife uses a Mac. We both use iPads also.

Evernote would be enormously useful for me and it is what the company has asked us all to use, but I can't really say I like it. As a linux user I would have loved to have a Linux client and that would have gone a long way to get me to love Evernote. I imagined I could use the Web client under Linux, but that doesn't work for me (and many others also) as the web client does not any date format except the US format. That is useless to anyone outside the US. Such narrow mindedness of a company that wants to have a world dominating product is frustrating to say the least.

I have left Evernote on the iPad for now, but I am looking for an alternative now.

• Like 1

+1 for a linux client.

I've used linux for several years now but only recently have moved my home pc to a linux setup (xubuntu). Although the web client is enough for the majority of my needs a native client would make using Evernote more easy.

The major feature i miss on the web client is the export notebooks/notes only available in the native win/mac clients.

• Like 1

One method to get Evernote running in Linux with offline support is to install the Android version in the Chrome web browser:

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2014/09/install-android-apps-ubuntu-archon  

It's a bit fiddly to set up but quite easy. Just make sure to use the --tablet option when making the app.

Camera (webcam), audio note recording, etc, all work.

Fantastic but... not working for me.

I run the application (evernote), but stops (freeze) when loading. On chrome://extensions/ i have 

Unrecognized manifest key 'arc_metadata'.

• 3 weeks later...

+1 for Linux! I pay for Evernote Premium and would love a native client for my desktop OS.  I use the web client, and I'm glad it exists, but it's much less powerful and slower than the Windows and Mac clients.  And the new beta webapp is even less powerful, though I hope that will improve.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I use Mac, Windows and Linux (Ubuntu) at various locations (home, different workplaces, volunteer organisations) and would dearly love to have a native client on all three platforms. I also use it on iOS and Android whilst out and about. I'm a fairly heavy user (and Premium subscriber) of Evernote and store a lot of attached files and graphics heavy stuff, so the web client is often painfully slow to use. Not sure why a Linux client wouldn't be possible or commercially viable given that an app for Windows Phone has been developed, and that maybe has a similar potential user base as Linux and that must make its payback? In pure installed user numbers I'd hazard a guess that Linux would be larger.

Google have recently made Chrome OS able to use some Android apps work on the system, including the Evernote app, so would an interim measure be to work with Google to at least get this capability to work on Google Chrome browser in other OSs, especially Linux?

• Like 2

Take a look at NeverNote for Linux (designed to work with Evernote):

http://nevernote.sourceforge.net/index.htm

You can also join  a public notebook which runs you through the supported features (includes a users documentation PDF).

Something that caught my attention is that NeverNote has the ability to ignore notes contained in certain notebooks or specific tags (for selective sync/ download)

Here's a list of some other unique features... of which I have highlighted those of interest to me:

Features Unique To NeverNote

There are several things NeverNote can't do, but there are also some things that NeverNote can do that are Evernote currently cannot.  There are other notes in this notebook explaining some of them in more detail, but here are some of the unique features of NeverNote.
  • NeverNote allows you to change the background color of any note.  
  • NeverNote allows you to change the title color of any note.  
  • NeverNote allows text within a note to be highlighted.
  • It is possible to rotate images within NeverNote.
  • NeverNote allows you to close notebooks (effectively hiding them).  
  • NeverNote's database can be encrypted at a database level to improve security.
  • NeverNote allows you to customize  shortcuts. 
  • NeverNote supports various themes and users can define their own theme at any time.  The setting for this can be found under the Edit/Preferences menu.
  • NeverNote's note restore for premium users will show you the content of the note prior to restoring it.  It also allows you to restore it as either a new note or overwrite the existing note.
  • NeverNote allows you to copy an existing note.
  • NeverNote provides the ability to hide unused tags like Evernote, but it also provides the ability to color tags & notebooks blue if a note is found.  Notebooks with no notes remain black.  If a tag has no notes and its children have no notes it will remain black, otherwise it will be blue.
  • There is an alternative selection behavior that I find useful (although I don't think anyone else liked it).  If you unclick the "Mimic Evernote Selection Behavior" box in the "Edit/Preferences" dialog box and restart NeverNote, you will gain the ability to select multiple notebooks at a time.  I use it to more quickly find notes in multiple notebooks.  It also doesn't clear out the tags each time you change notebooks.
  • You can set NeverNote to automatically synchronize when shutting down.
  • You can run multiple NeverNote databases with different userids & passwords within the same Linux or Windows account.
  • NeverNote has an option under "Edit/Preferences" to change the behavior of new notes.  If the "Create New Notes with Selected Tags" box is checked, any new note will automatically be assigned with the currently selected tags.
  • NeverNote allows you to customize the date/time display format via the Edit/Preferences dialog box.
  • NeverNote allows you the option of displaying PDF documents inline or as a file icon you can click later.
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Honestly, I'm pretty frustrated with Evernote because it has no version for Linux, even after so many requests from the community.

I want to upgrade to my Evernote account and not done so far because it has this support.

It is possible to make an app for the Chrome web browser, just as there is for Chrome OS?

It would be an interesting alternative, since it also runs offline.

• Like 2

Honestly, I'm pretty frustrated with Evernote because it has no version for Linux, even after so many requests from the community.

I want to upgrade to my Evernote account and not done so far because it has this support.

It is possible to make an app for the Chrome web browser, just as there is for Chrome OS?

Rodrigo, have you taken a look at the NeverNote application mentioned above? Evernote themselves actually recommend that app. It's possibly your best bet for Evernote on Linux at the moment.

• Like 1

Rodrigo, have you taken a look at the NeverNote application mentioned above? Evernote themselves actually recommend that app. It's possibly your best bet for Evernote on Linux at the moment.

I used the NeverNote / NixNote for about two years, but formatted for Ubuntu 14.10 version and, coincidentally or not, NixNote crashed.

I searched in forums and it seems that the problem is related to the encryption method used by Evernote.

After installing version 1.5, I could not log in to my Evernote account.

The login window opens and then closes then.

Beta 2 was not installed because they lacked some dependencies on my Ubuntu.

I found that there is NeighborNote, which is based on NixNote / NeverNote, but it disappears every time I restart the machine.

Honestly, I am very frustrated because of that, because no third party application is to be compared to the official Evernote.

I installed through Wine and also by Crossover, but always happen any errors.

I've used the Everpad, but it is not supported for a long time and because of that, has many bugs.

I did not get to test the Android version on Chrome, but I prefer to avoid it because it implies open security holes and stability in the browser.

I always see people in that forum (including the Portuguese version) requesting a Linux version.

On Linux forums I also see people complaining.

If you had a web app to run offline in the Chrome browser, just as it has for Chrome OS, would solve almost all problems.

Is there any interest and foresight to create this web app?
  • Like 2

I also have problem with using NixNote. Problem with syncing all the notes. Evernote for Windows was installed by the wine and Android client shows me that I have a 7122 memo. After synchronizing with NixNote (Version 1.5) and check the "Current Database Status" shows me that I have a "total notes" 5 036. Run on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. 

The only thing I could do is to report the bug.https://sourceforge.net/p/nevernote/bugs/189/

So I'm playing catchup a bit here. to be honest this thread is a bit of a TLDR, as it started in 2009!. Can i suggest the moderators split this thread out into years, or archive the old posts, as the state of the art has moved on since then ;)

First I +1 the linux client, 

Second my suggestion for Linux tools to check out:

• Everyone who wants a third party native GUI linux client pile onto Nixnote2 (https://github.com/baumgarr/Nixnote2), which is a QT port of nixnote (which was Java).
  • There is also Everpad (which is also QT, but PyQT) is not as feature complete, but is more lightweight, and also getting there (https://github.com/nvbn/everpad/) is worth checking out.
  • For the command line people among us linux guys, there is also geeknote (https://github.com/VitaliyRodnenko/geeknote/) which is a python command line utility to manipulate your evernote document repository export/sync and them as markdown files.

FWIW, here is my .02 eurocents worth on the toolkit discussion.

I know there is/was a commitment in  evernote development to use a 'platform native' UI technolgy. I can understand some of the reasoning is so that you can use the UI features to the 'full' extent. I honestly think this approach is interesting, from a user experience point of view, but probably a pain to maintain. Also the nature of HTML5, XUL, etc, all point to UI design toolkits and widgetsets becoming a shared commodity (apart from Apple of course, because it is a key part of their value proposition, that everything looks and acts the way they say it has to).

I dont want to get into thin/thick clients, or the shared code etc that exists in evernote. but i can say from experience that i would recommend QT and QML for a cross platform C++ based UI that can be used to develop a binary for windows, linux and mac from the same codebase. That way it does not matter what you develop on, you only need to test on the target platform. Other online sevice front ends that use QT are Skype and Sotify, to show I'm not talking too much rubbish.

QT is based on the MVC pattern. So, If nothing else, a tested, supported QT linux/windows/mac binary 32/64 bit C++ SDK/library for the Model would make life easier for those wanting to maintain a third party UI on any platform.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

+1 for native Linux client.

I'll give NixNote2 a try, but my experience with NixNote (1) was decidedly suboptimal.

I can't use Everpad because it flat-out refuses to import all of my data.  (I have quite a lot of notes, you see.)  It's also not very feature-rich (not even a search? come on) and corrupts the formatting on my notes.

Evernote has typically worked fine under Wine, but the screen clipper doesn't work, and clicking on links in documents opens Wine's version of IE rather than my system browser.

I've been a subscriber to Evernote for five years, but as I've recently migrated to a Linux environment, I don't think I'll be renewing if there isn't some movement towards a native Linux client.

• 1 month later...

Unofficial client NixNote since the start of the project, 15 May 2010. On Sourceforge still has less than half a million downloads. May 13, 2014 the company boasted that the number of users reached 100 million total. The Linux Counter (in 2014) estimated 73 million Linux users. Android is based on the Linux kernel. Is the create a client for Linux is therefore a problem? I believe that during the development of native Evernote client in this environment, there will be new ideas, which will also benefit users of other operating systems.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I suggest you do an official Kickstarter campaign for a native Linux client.

If you are unsure, set the minimum amount high, heck - double the amount you think you need and then add some.

I'm sure you'll be surprised how much the "small" Linux community want this.

As someone else said in thits thread - Evernote is one of only a few apps that keeps me from going 100% Linux.

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...

Yay, just got an e-mail from iTunes Store. The premium subscription price has gone up 15%. Good thing the automatic renewal got paused because of this. I will resume it if/when there is an official Linux client available. Also, they really should port the Windows version to OSX because it is superior.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I'd definitely pay for a continuous yearly subscription if there was an official Linux client. All the Premium features I don't care. Even if there was just a Linux client with Basic account features, I'd still pay the Premium price.

(Yes, I have tried the unofficial Linux clients. With very bad experiences.)

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm really surprised that there isn't a native Linux client. I'd love to have Evernote sitting alongside the Steam and Spotify in the Unity launcher on my Ubuntu Linux desktop. Not to mention that Evernote is a little more important to my productivity than music and videogames. 

If Evernote wants to appeal to more paying subscribers, I'd think they'd want a client available for more desktops. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

As evernote recentered his development on a narrowed application span, maybe they will be able to finally develop a native evernote native linux desktop application.

Hopefully, 2016 will bring this gift to us. Maybe we can ask at least for a big survey managed and send by evernote itself.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I have another reason in favor of creating a native version of Evernote for Linux. In early February confirmed the information on the tablet uses Ubuntu. Prior to his debut phone based on this system. Among the applications (Ubuntu Store), unfortunately, the lack of native Evernote client. In addition, it is possible to install applications from the traditional system. Both the tablet and the phone can be used in desktop mode, when you connect the keyboard and mouse using Bluetooth technology. I look optimistically to the development of the system and production of devices that will operate it, or allow the installation of Linux systems.

To recap the previous arguments. Linux users is a lot, some of them using unofficial version of Evernote or use a browser, which entails that they do not utilize the full potential of the program, which gives opportunities.

On 4.05.2015 at 3:17 PM, kepilif said:

Unofficial client NixNote since the start of the project, 15 May 2010. On Sourceforge still has less than half a million downloads. May 13, 2014 the company boasted that the number of users reached 100 million total. The Linux Counter (in 2014) estimated 73 million Linux users. Android is based on the Linux kernel. Is the create a client for Linux is therefore a problem? I believe that during the development of native Evernote client in this environment, there will be new ideas, which will also benefit users of other operating systems.

Is there a chance to deliberately introduce Evernote client for Linux, even in the assumptions, goals software development company?

I'm running Ubuntu Touch on a Nexus 7. The default notes application provided by Canonical DOES sync with Evernote. 

On 2/6/2016 at 9:37 AM, kepilif said:

I have another reason in favor of creating a native version of Evernote for Linux. In early February confirmed the information on the tablet uses Ubuntu. Prior to his debut phone based on this system. Among the applications (Ubuntu Store), unfortunately, the lack of native Evernote client. In addition, it is possible to install applications from the traditional system. Both the tablet and the phone can be used in desktop mode, when you connect the keyboard and mouse using Bluetooth technology.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

This synchronization boundary between two devices only forces us to pay pay for the service.

The problem is not paying for the tool because it is good and the price is right.

The problem is pay to use third-party tool, since Evernote has no native client on Linux.

I mentioned this in this post:

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/97236-changes-to-evernote’s-pricing-plans/?page=68#comment-414841

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

I'd just like to wish this thread a happy 7th Birthday - it's been going almost as long as Evernote.  Maybe once the company has its finances sorted out after the latest subscription  increases readjustments,  it will revisit whether developing a client for this OS would be cost effective...

• Like 2
On 8/25/2011 at 6:08 PM, Metrodon said:

Now that I'd pay for!

Ehh...

Now, if they were to do a port for the Timex Sinclair (maybe .000001% of all users?) THAT would win them the Internet for the day!

Eric

I cannot believe that I sat here at my desk for the past few hours reading through this *entire* thread.

And people are *still* asking for EN to do this (hint: please read through this thread. All of it. Like I did.).

And the answer *hasn't* changed.

So let me ask those who want EN to just "whip up" a native Linux client...

Do you want Redhat/RPM, Debian, FreeBSD?

Which distros do you want supported? Which Desktops?

Not an easy question to answer- except for this...THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS ONE KIND OF LINUX.

EN has already stated that they are not going to build "a" Linux client...what makes you think they are going to build clients to satisfy every needed form of Linux?

I thought so.

Eric

(yes, if it seems like there is an excessive amount of Snark here...you're right. It's 1:37am, and I'm not sure why I just wasted over 2 hours of my life)

• Like 3
12 hours ago, EricLorenz said:

EN has already stated that they are not going to build "a" Linux client...what makes you think they are going to build clients to satisfy every needed form of Linux?

I think there's a good point here. Setting aside supported distributions, and package managers... would Evernote be Qt or GTK? Command Line options?

As much as I would like to say otherwise, I think we as Linux users need to accept that we are never going to be a targeted OS for Evernote. Geeknote is solid for Terminal fans, and Nevernote is an option for GUI.

If you want something that's 100% Native, Turtl is an option, and can be self hosted.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, Ahantate said:

As much as I would like to say otherwise, I think we as Linux users need to accept that we are never going to be a targeted OS for Evernote. Geeknote is solid for Terminal fans, and Nevernote is an option for GUI.

Yep, with everything on Evernote's plate and all the competition it faces on Windows, Mac, iOS and Android from OneNote, Keep, Dropbox Paper, and many smaller players, I cannot imagine EN is going to allocate resources to developing and supporting an app for an OS that has a tiny market share, and which itself is fragmented into many different variants.

Not. Going. To. Happen.

The native apps that use EN's API, or EN on Wine or EN in a Windows/Mac virtual machine are all options.

But hey, Evernote, if you do decide to build a Linux app, please make it for Debian/Ubuntu.  :D

• Like 1
17 hours ago, tavor said:

Yep, with everything on Evernote's plate and all the competition it faces on Windows, Mac, iOS and Android from OneNote, Keep, Dropbox Paper, and many smaller players, I cannot imagine EN is going to allocate resources to developing and supporting an app for an OS that has a tiny market share, and which itself is fragmented into many different variants.

Not. Going. To. Happen.

The native apps that use EN's API, or EN on Wine or EN in a Windows/Mac virtual machine are all options.

But hey, Evernote, if you do decide to build a Linux app, please make it for Debian/Ubuntu.  :D

I agree that it is not a small development effort to make a native client to any specific flavor of Linux, and there would be prioritizing decisions that would have to be made in that regard. However, given Evernote's decision to drastically raise pricing for premium members, I am looking for significant investments and development in the core Evernote software. More specifically, I want them to address longstanding issues with the notes editor, pursue stronger encryption/privacy integrations, and create a native client that runs on Linux.

No one cares about things like work chat, and I don't care for being able to link/embed Google documents within notes (two recent features they have implemented). I also don't care what they neuter/remove from the "free tier" of Evernote, because nothing in this world is really free, and  I am not against paying for the service. 

For me personally, I pay for Evernote Premium, because I do not want my data to be mined within any of the "Big 3" ecosystems (MS, Google, Apple). I don't want to use OneNote, because all of it's best integrations are with the MS Office Suite and MS' preferred web browsers (IE/Edge), which I do not particularly care for. I don't use Apple Notes, because I do not want to be tied to the Mac ecosystem. And I don't use Google Keep, because I simply don't want my data to be mined for Google's needs/profit (not to mention their penchant for discontinuing products). 

I use (and happily pay for) Evernote to stay more or less independent of those ecosystems, and I am sure many Linux users who user also utilize Evernote do so for many of the same reasons (even though they only have access to the feature-crippled web app or various third party implementations). I am not against paying for a solid product/service, but with this price change, I am looking for a significant change in priority/vision from Evernote:

• cross-platform support should become a major priority including some flavor(s) of Linux,
  • more privacy-centric features should be integrated into the core product/service
  • Evernote should remain as independent as possible from the Big 3 I mentioned previously

Given the dramatic pricing increase to my premium subscription, anything less and I am gone from Evernote when I am up for renewal. The current pricing scheme/tiers and feature set are ridiculous when you try to compare it with the value you would get as a consumer out of a modestly more expensive Office 365 subscription.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
17 minutes ago, ebretteville said:

Cross platform means also linux.  

This discussion started in 2009 and is now 20 pages
The original post was responded to by Evernote, and stated there would not be a linux client

A reasonable person would have recognized this and looked for solutions elsewhere.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, DTLow said:

The original post was responded to by Evernote, and stated there would not be a linux client

A reasonable person would have recognized this and looked for solutions elsewhere.

A reasonable person would have also recognized that you are a moron who apparently cannot fathom the fact that a product roadmap can change significantly over the course of 7 years (since that initial Evernote response).

• Level 5*
40 minutes ago, Jinqs said:

A reasonable person would have also recognized that you are a moron

Any intelligence issues I may have are not pertinent to this discussion

25 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Any intelligence issues I may have are not pertinent to this discussion

Neither are your patronizing replies to users posting perfectly valid criticisms and requests of a product/service they pay for.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, DTLow said:

I'm sorry but i find this comment a bit absurd from a GURU poster.

If it is the responsibility of a good business to listen to its customers so that it can support them better. It is the responsibility of us as customers to inform the business of our wishes so that they can have the chance to serve us better.

If Evernote think this is an unreasonable approach to customer relations, then they should probably just give up the charade of customer support and shut down the forum.

Regardless of your opinion on whether i can or cannot use my subscriber relationship with Evernote to ask them to reconsider a feature i really want, the fact of the matter is that Evernote already supports a Linux platform (Android). Like the whole web service industry, it seems they have standardised on client side HTML5 UI's for their Online and Android UI's. So it looks like a low hanging fruit to an enforced web user. As this seems to be available from many cross platform out of the box technologies like Electron, which use HTML5, and were designed for just this kind of thing, i think it is only going to become easier for them to do.

There are of course other half-way approaches (which i have already addressed in other posts), that would also serve *my* needs, but i also respect the wishes of the other posers who want Linux to be supported.

So just to reiterate, thank you for your opinion, but i for one will continue to ask Evernote to reconsider, and extend that Linux support to non Android Linux's too.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
8 hours ago, Jinqs said:

A reasonable person would have also recognized that you are a moron

1 hour ago, timoc said:

I'm sorry but i find this comment a bit absurd from a GURU poster.

It's ok that we disagree.  That makes a good discussion.

Personal attacks are another thing

I don't have much to contribute to this thread, but I appreciate what I'm learning from it.

On 7/7/2016 at 2:27 AM, DTLow said:

It's ok that we disagree.  That makes a good discussion.

Personal attacks are another thing

I don't have much to contribute to this thread, but I appreciate what I'm learning from it.

I prefer Voltaire's attitude on disagreement: “I wholly disapprove of what you say and will defend to the death your right to say it.”

Reasoning through issues is always my preferred approach.

On 6/7/2016 at 6:43 PM, DTLow said:

I'm sorry if it came across as a personal attack, i guess that must be because i belong to the unreasonable people in this thread? :)

As a GURU who does not use Linux, what would you consider a minimum viable client?

• 3 weeks later...
On July 6, 2016 at 11:57 AM, Jinqs said:

A reasonable person would have also recognized that you are a moron who apparently cannot fathom the fact that a product roadmap can change significantly over the course of 7 years (since that initial Evernote response).

Please refrain from name-calling. Thank you! :)

• 3 years later...
  • Level 5*

Not wishing to reopen old arguments,  but someone at Evernote suggested fairly recently that a Linux client might actually be on the cards.  No idea on lead times,  or whether that employee was summarily dismissed* shortly afterward.  Just sayin'.

As a newbie Linux user I am,  as I believe you young people say...'stoked'.

*With extreme prejudice

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, gazumped said:

Not wishing to reopen old arguments,  but someone at Evernote suggested fairly recently that a Linux client might actually be on the cards.  No idea on lead times

The actual post is linked below - no further details to report
For Linux, I'm still using the web to access my Evernote data

• Ex Employees
On 7/25/2019 at 7:04 AM, gazumped said:

Not wishing to reopen old arguments,  but someone at Evernote suggested fairly recently that a Linux client might actually be on the cards.  No idea on lead times,  or whether that employee was summarily dismissed* shortly afterward.  Just sayin'.

As a newbie Linux user I am,  as I believe you young people say...'stoked'.

*With extreme prejudice

Still here. 🙂 Just not making any further comments on the subject. Also, been super busy recently. Commenting on the board is something I do on the side when I have a few minutes, not as part of my day job.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, Scott T. said:

Still here.

Glad to hear it!! :D  Sorry - that comment reads like I expected you to be gone for daring to speak out.  It was meant to be a wry and vaguely complimentary comment on the fact that Evernote staff don't usually talk about future projects and I was pleased that you had.  Even if it was only a few carefully chosen words...

• Like 2
On 7/30/2019 at 12:56 AM, Scott T. said:

Still here. 🙂 Just not making any further comments on the subject. Also, been super busy recently. Commenting on the board is something I do on the side when I have a few minutes, not as part of my day job.

I do hope a Linux client is in the works. As soon as I am finished with my dissertation (which requires Microsoft Office), I am switching to Linux and never looking back. Would be great to take Evernote with me.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
8 minutes ago, Principal Moo said:

I am switching to Linux and never looking back. Would be great to take Evernote with me.

Storage of your Evernote data will continue; accessed using the web platform

• 2 weeks later...

Well, i can see that this thread was started in 2009, and only 5 pages of response - kind of sets the stage.

I want a linux version. I have been on and off using Crossover, so now i I have a different suggestion, that i hope will generate more feedback, and offer more value rather than have a differnt OS as a target.

Evernote on Steam.

Where Evernote can capture those moments from your gaming life.

Steam is working hard to make all of its Windows OS titiles more cross platform (e.g mac and linux - via a cross platform wine like tool)

What do you think?

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, timoc said:

Evernote on Steam.

Steam is installed on another laptop here (another user,  honest!) and seems to take up a ton of space.  Don't know how much of that is due to the game that goes with it,  but I can't see Evernote being keen to rush out and start development on something new when they (allegedly) already have something in the pipeline...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5*
5 hours ago, arklite52 said:

Another Linux user here. I've let my subscription lapse for the very reason that a native client is not available. Being hobbled by the web version isn't an option for me anymore.

The web version is getting better and a (possible) Linux version more likely....

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Echoreflection said:

Tusk is a great Evernote client for Linux

...But for us recent Windows converts,  installing a new app varies wildly from one provider to another.  One app just required a right-click to install itself.  Another download was completely self-contained.  This one confusingly informs me:

@klaussinani klaussinani released this on 20 May · 4 commits to master since this release

There's no obvious 'download' link but by puttering around a little I can find a ZIP file - that I have no idea what to do with...  Linux is very much like learning Welsh (though it has more vowels)... :wacko:

EDIT: (after some googling)  Ahah! Of course!  I should have known!  Install Snap and use the Snap Store to download and install Tusk! (#?!@@##gh!)