Not sure I can trust EN right now. More than half a detailed work note disappeared

Yesterday I took the time to write  6-7 section note which I planned to post as a short work presentation to help SMB owners.

I was inspired and managed to get all my thoughts out quite clearly into a detailed post I felt would help small business owners.

I KNOW I finished it in EN.

Today I go back into it and half the note is gone

Neither my Macbook, iPhone nor web clients possess the full note.

Not sure I can recreate it the way I wrote what I wrote originally

Never seen this happen in the decade+ I have been with EN.

Gotta admit I'm pretty steamed right now. I discipline myself to get the whole thought out of my head at once, check the box in my mind letting it all go because I've captured it in EN and now I find out the next day I did my mental shredding too early.

Is this probably the Real Time Editing?

Seems like the most recent version of EN is when things went started getting jenky. This issue and then I have had many instances of opening a note and waiting for more than a blank space where the note should appear. This is happening a LOT. Every hour.

EN is costing me too much time-money now.

• Like 3
  • Sad 8
30 minutes ago, hanseric said:

Yesterday I took the time to write  6-7 section note which I planned to post as a short work presentation to help SMB owners.

I was inspired and managed to get all my thoughts out quite clearly into a detailed post I felt would help small business owners.

Never seen this happen in the decade+ I have been with EN.

Gotta admit I'm pretty steamed right now. I discipline myself to get the whole thought out of my head at once, check the box in my mind letting it all go because I've captured it in EN and now I find out the next day I did my mental shredding too early.

Is this probably the Real Time Editing?

Seems like the most recent version of EN is when things went started getting jenky. This issue and then I have had many instances of opening a note and waiting for more than a blank space where the note should appear. This is happening a LOT. Every hour.

EN is costing me too much time-money now.

Did you edit/view the note on different devices?

Have you checked the note history?

• Like 1

I had a similar experience this evening (not so serious). I added some lines to a note on my iPhone at 6:30 this evening. I looked again on my phone, at 9:30pm and the lines added were gone. Not on any device. Not in the note history. It has happened to me once before (that I am aware of) two weeks ago. Fortunately I remembered what I had written and redid it.

I also expended a lot of time today on my Windows device opening 130 notes in a current project notebook to ensure all the notes switched to the new data format. This entailed several waits for the content to appear. I thought that had done the trick. However when out later, I opened my iPhone to look at the project, and the first note I looked at stalled for a minute or two at a blank screen. When it finally appeared, as a trial, I went to another note and came back again. Blank note for a while. If the problem is only data format, which I had updated, I don't see why my iPhone should still be stalling at this note. Since then, this particular note is loading quickly again. Also I have been experiencing very slow updating of tags on iOS - sometimes. Much of this unrelated to the OP, just wanted to share in case someone has any ideas. I might open a ticket... 

I love this app and hope these are teething problems.

• Like 4
  • Level 5
2 hours ago, hanseric said:

I've seen something like this (disappearing content) a couple of times recently. Very unpleasant. I was able to recover it by accessing Note History (which requires a paid account, which you presumably have if you're using multiple devices). Would be worth a look if you haven't yet.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

I've seen something like this (disappearing content) a couple of times recently. Very unpleasant. I was able to recover it by accessing Note History (which requires a paid account, which you presumably have if you're using multiple devices). Would be worth a look if you haven't yet.

I've also seen similar behavior: edited content was suddenly deleted when I reopened the note. All editing on one device, no concurrent editing.

And important to note: the correct changes were in the note history, so something went wrong afterwards (race condition?)

As a result, I always have to check my notes now whether changes have been persisted or not...

Is @Federico Simionato  or support already aware of this issue?

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

I believe the new sync makes lots of problems. 

I had zero problems with the sync until Evernote came and refactored it. Now it's weird. I experience lots of strange behaviour. I.e.: It sometimes takes 1-2 minutes until a note I haven't opened for a long time get's loaded. In particular when it consists of pictures. I know that the data nowadays is loaded from the cloud, but I have a super fast internet connection running. There is no way it takes so long to load. 

• Like 1

I created an account on this forum to see if everyone else was having this issue or just me. I've never had issues all the years I've had Evernote. Some of my notes won't even load. Hoping for a fix soon! Following this thread for an update 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, kthesun said:

I had zero problems with the sync until Evernote came and refactored it. Now it's weird. I experience lots of strange behaviour. I.e.: It sometimes takes 1-2 minutes until a note I haven't opened for a long time get's loaded. In particular when it consists of pictures. I know that the data nowadays is loaded from the cloud, but I have a super fast internet connection running. There is no way it takes so long to load. 

yeah, these delays are very annoying too, but data loss, the topic of this thread, is unacceptable

• Like 3
15 minutes ago, eric99 said:

yeah, these delays are very annoying too, but data loss, the topic of this thread, is unacceptable

Yes of course. Fortunately I haven't experienced data loss so far. I just wanted to say that I have the feeling the new sync as a whole is (maybe only in the current state) not working good.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
3 hours ago, kthesun said:

There are several threads in the forums about these delays. What's happening, as confirmed by Evernote, is that notes that were last edited in the old sync structure must  now be converted to the new one. I believe that on mobile devices and the Web client this must be done on Evernote's servers, and on desktops it is done locally (I believe, but I don't know for sure). So that adds to the sync and display time on Android for an older note to appear.

FWIW, many people, especially on Android, were reporting nightmares with sync last year, and now find it greatly improved. Certainly there are teething pains, especially as (again, in my assumption) the Evernote servers must be under an extra load while conversions are being done. But I've also had some successes, especially when my computer crashed while I was editing an important note in the Evernote Web client under a deadline, and I could just turn around to my laptop and find the note in the Evernote Windows client exactly as it was when the other machine crashed.

And same here; even my note history (I have a paid account) doesn't show previous versions which are worth recovering. I lost half a day of work. I assume opening the note on my iPhone was the culprit. Crazy... data loss is NOT OK 😕.

• Confused 1

To be honest, I didn't even know there WAS a Note History feature. That must have come out during the time I tuned out from all the EN software version updates.

I just tried it and managed to recover about 25% of what was missing. So that's something. Thanks for that suggestion @eric99.

But the rest of it will have to be recreated again.

I'll have to work Google Drive for a while until all this is sorted.  I simply cannot bank my business on Evernote if there's any risk of losing data in this way.

Plus, when this happens it has a kind of gaslighting effect on me and makes me question myself. I don't need that kind of grief from my tools, I can tell you that for nothing!

• Like 2
  • Level 5

Note history is there since a long time, and we have frequently recommended it here in the forum when data loss was reported.

It runs for all accounts, access is a subscribers feature and requires a desktop client.

Just lost some data in a note including a whole task. Data isn't in note history either.

I haven't lost data like this in Evernote in a couple of years -- as far as I know anyway.

• Sad 2

I have had the same issue - three notes in the last two days have lost some of the data. I run a business and losing anything from a note generally means money is being lost. This is totally unnacceptable from a product that we are paying top dollar for. I know this can be recoved by using the restore feature, but what about when no one notices something is missing?

experienced the same, I am a very heavy EN user and the current version sucks 😞

I use EN on a Macbook, Iphone and Windows laptop. 

Looks like that on my Macbook is causes most problems (indeed taking ages some times to load a note, I am also using Tasks and specially this is not working well since a few weeks... if I change the task due date it some times doesn't want to save and sometimes it saves the new due date but it still shows up on the previous due date..aaaaaaah not good. Trust level goes down the drain like this. EN had this before (long time a go when changing to a new platform). I also noticed quite some updates during the last days (clear signal EN is trying to fix things). Let's hope they get this right soon

11 hours ago, hanseric said:

Evernote support made a ticket out of my post. Let' see what happens.

Thanks!  May be you can refer to this thread in your ticket to give them additional context?

I lost another row in a table, similar to the previous issue a few days ago. It should be noted that it always occurs with new info added into the table.

So there might be an RTE problem specific to tables.

• Sad 1

Same problem here. Lost an entire lecture worth of notes.  No concurrent editing. Changes are not present on the web version or desktop so I assume it hasn't synced.

Started getting 'can't save this note' errors as well on the desktop and web versions when I try to update notes. Android app has also started crashing frequently on launch.

Really steamed about it as well. It's not like I can ask the lecturer to do the lecture all over again just for me.

First time I've had syncing problems. Seemed to start when they started with this AI cleanup stuff. What the ****** have EN done?

I'm in a real bind in my course now - if I can't rely on it to save a simple text note then EN is completely and utterly useless to me.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, amliddy said:

First time I've had syncing problems. Seemed to start when they started with this AI cleanup stuff. What the ****** have EN done?

It is likely related to RTE (real time editing … new sync) that was rolled out right before AI cleanup.  Nothing happens with AI cleanup unless you click the button.  I’ve had some data loss as well.  Evernote needs to get this fixed quickly.  They are actively working it, so update your clients when a new one is rolled out.

Cheers s2sailor. I really wish they wouldn't break stuff that is mission critical when introducing new features. I have no need for RTE so at least make new features optional. 

Syncing always worked for me, worst case scenario I used to end up with duplicates, which was annoying, but at least I knew all the data was there.

I'm in a real bind now because of their incompetence, and frankly I don't know if I can trust EN anymore - who knows when they are going to introduce some feature (no doubt to try and justify the huge price rises) and break everything again?

It's a terrible start for the new owners.

• Sad 1
  • Level 5*

I have no need for RTE either, but I’ve had sync issues in the past and this should be much better once they work through the problems.  This was in development and beta while in EN’s hands.  I’m not sure if BS pushed this out too soon or if it really needed to be rolled out enmasse  before the problems could be seen.  How quick they get this under control will be telling.

• Like 3

I'm irritated and disappointed that an app that's been around for so many years has basic sync problems still prevalent. I frequently use the iPad to do sketches in evernote and most of the time they don't sync - you can see the thumbnail of the sketch in the list window but the sketch doesn't appear in any of my other devices. Why such a basic MISSION CRITICAL feature doesn't work? It's really not much to ask - who gives a sh*t about sexy new features when the foundation isn't in order.

This hasn't been since RTE came in. It goes back further than that. WTF? This is BS - and Evernote if you don't sort this out you'll see a big exodus of customers finding other more reliable platforms (plenty out there....)

Check the images out - I deliberately sketched this last night in EN and took a screenshot and export of the sketch coz I knew it would f*ck it up. And yes, ladies and gents, it did just that.

- A screenshot of the iPad app where I originally created the sketch (thumbnail in the sidebar, not appearing in the note)

- A screenshot of the same on my laptop

Screenshot 2023-06-04 at 07.12.47.png

IMG_95C6FA07079C-1.jpeg

Same thing happened to me, it was an important and difficult note to someone and after finally finishing it I left the app for two seconds, when I reopened it was stuck in a glitch and crashed, when I opened it again there was two words left.  I'm only on the free version so I can't even access the note history, or talk to any tech support. I'm honestly super disappointed. 

Yep I did Dave, waiting to hear back.

But I am not hopeful. The Note in the android app (where I wrote the update) doesn't have the data in it anymore, and it hasn't reached the server. I checked the note history and it says it was last updated 2 days before I made the changes.

I assume something went wrong and the RTE sync went the wrong way.

@s2sailor I think the only thing we can say is that it's been rolled out too early for many of us, probably thousands that are fine. From my perspective it seems like another feature that sounds cool to a programmer but it's questionable how many customers actually wanted it - but EN certainly isn't alone in adding those.

Either way the default should be to preserve all data when things go wrong. The old sync seemed to do that. While having duplicate/conflict notes pop up from time to time was a bit annoying, it's infinitely preferable to this alternative for my money.

Either way I'm looking at alternatives. Once trust is broken it's hard to get it back.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, amliddy said:

Either way the default should be to preserve all data when things go wrong. The old sync seemed to do that. While having duplicate/conflict notes pop up from time to time was a bit annoying, it's infinitely preferable to this alternative for my money.

Agreed. 

Same problem here. I've had it with Evernote - a few months ago, I realized I lhad ost over 1,000 notes over time because a sync to the cloud would write over notes on one or more of my devices.

What the hell happened to "conflicting notes?" At least I had a copy of my note before they deleted them!

So, I've attempted being very careful.

But today is the last straw. A critical document I've been working on all day was apparently overwritten when I opened up my phone to Add to the document;. Only the title remained. the note contents disappeared from the laptop I had been working on. 

I am desperate to find a reliable note taking app. 

I get this frequently too. Particularly bad if you are working offline like I sometimes have to do with my Android tablet. Twice I have lost the notes from a discourse I was attending and no way for me to get it back. I'm considering moving everything over to OneNote especially as there seems to be a migration tool and exactly the same functionality. When I tried OneNote in the past I couldn't get on with it and I much preferred EN but I can't afford to keep losing vital notes. The Developers and management need to take this as a wake-up call.

I’m one of those who has had major sync issues with Evernote before RTE but finding it has now improved. Before I had to battle with the app to make it sync or data would be lost.  Lost a lot of details for the plans of a young persons funeral once due to the old sync failing! It seems there are issues with the new sync, I’m not experiencing them too much just now, hopefully they are quickly ironed out! 

• Like 3
15 minutes ago, agsteele said:

If you find a migration tool that works you'll be very popular. 

They mostly seem to have stopped working effectively.

Ah I was looking at this page and have just spotted "Note: The legacy Evernote to OneNote Importer was retired from service effective September 2022" :(

2 minutes ago, WilliamL said:

It seems there are issues with the new sync, I’m not experiencing them too much just now, hopefully they are quickly ironed out! 

Sync is definitely an issue. I think there is a manual sync button hidden away somewhere that might help but it should be more obvious as the automatic one is quite flaky. When working offline the Save button is also a matter of hope over science.

1 hour ago, Jess Del Angel said:

This happen to me more than once the last week and it is so frustrating!

I hope they solve it soon, because is making me wasting so much valuable time.

What exactly is your problem, data loss or slow note loading ?

What exactly is your problem, data loss or slow note loading ?

Thanks for asking -- A brief history:

-- When I realized I was short 700 notes a few months ago (the note counts are different for the web version, iPhone app, laptop, and desktop -- all four have different counts) - customer service had no answer, they told me they knew about the problem, and all they could suggest was moving to Legacy version, which I did.

-- Problem has persisted, and another 300 notes have evaporated mysteriously (according to my note counts) -- I how have a total of 1,000 more notes on my phone than I do in the web portal.

I've been frantically exporting notes out (how do I get them off my phone??) but  I am frozen because I don't know which version of the notes are the most accurate.

Yesterday's problem, I gather from searching these forum posts - is due to the sync to the web overwriting one or more of my other three versions.

So that's where it stands.

I wish customer service could help!

• Level 5

A couple of suggestions: for some of these cases, it's possible that there is material in Note History that could be recovered. I was able to do that the one time I ran into a serious data loss problem. It's maintained for all accounts, but accessing it requires a subscription; you can subscribe for just one month and hopefully recover some material, and then drop back to free. Help article here: https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/208313858.

Secondly, WRT how sync works (and I'm not an expert, just another user): in Evernote v. 10, even before the new RTE-enabling upgrade, sync happens all the time. In the upgrade, it happens better and with fewer opportunities for conflicts (as we are told). A manual sync button (in the desktop apps you can use Ctrl/Cmd+ Enter; in Android it's the 3-line menu bottom left > Settings > Sync) does nothing at all that the automatic sync does not do. It does not make it work faster (it will almost certainly have synced before you can access the control). It does not force some different, better kind of sync. It just syncs.

I hope this is helpful in some way.

4 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Secondly, WRT how sync works (and I'm not an expert, just another user): in Evernote v. 10, even before the new RTE-enabling upgrade, sync happens all the time. In the upgrade, it happens better and with fewer opportunities for conflicts (as we are told). A manual sync button (in the desktop apps you can use Ctrl/Cmd+ Enter; in Android it's the 3-line menu bottom left > Settings > Sync) does nothing at all that the automatic sync does not do. It does not make it work faster (it will almost certainly have synced before you can access the control). It does not force some different, better kind of sync. It just syncs.

Thanks for that information. What happens if you are working offline? That's when most of my data loss occurs. The save icon takes a LOONG time to come back enabled when you press it and even when it appears to have worked it doesn't seem to be guaranteed. Does it automatically sync when it detects a connection again or do you have to manually force a sync?

Evernote is currently almost unusable.

1. Update to notes get lost. You update a note, close it, re-visit it and the update is gone. All on the same platform / device.

2. The blank note issue is back. Wenn I search in my 12k+ notes and select one, I have a blank screen and a message "Spechervorgang ..." i.e. saving

This is on a Mac Book Pro from 2020 and the latest OS version.

I really wonder how Evernote is running their quality management when providing a new release. So many times new releases are so buggy that you can't use the product. I am using Evernote for my work daily and this is really frustrating. Stop doing/selling  SW if you can't handle the development process.

Stefan

• Like 3
  • Level 5

I can replicate the slowness on opening some notes - others are snappy, and I didn't find a pattern yet.

No data loss, not on editing, not on bulk operations, and even not after significant changes were made offline, and then synced when going online again. This part I can't replicate.

So no idea what can help currently, beside switching notes from time to time, and see if everything is happily there when coming back (PITA-warning included).

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

No data loss, not on editing, not on bulk operations, and even not after significant changes were made offline, and then synced when going online again. This part I can't replicate.

Try it with a large note offline. Saving is flaky as...

• Level 5
9 hours ago, Caltor said:

Thanks for that information. What happens if you are working offline? That's when most of my data loss occurs. The save icon takes a LOONG time to come back enabled when you press it and even when it appears to have worked it doesn't seem to be guaranteed. Does it automatically sync when it detects a connection again or do you have to manually force a sync?

I'm not sure about "when you press it": what are you pressing? In the Windows desktop app, there's a brief "Saving..." message at bottom right, but nothing to press there. But you're on an Android tablet, right? On my Android phone there isn't a "save icon" to press either. It's possible to force a sync simply by pulling down on a list of notes; presumably that works on a tablet too. Unsynced notes used to have a green tab in top right in a notes list, showing they were waiting to sync, but now I don't see it. I just tested editing a couple of notes offline, and they synced immediately when I went back online, but with no visible indication on the phone--I only knew because I was looking at them on my laptop at the same time. I agree that this is not ideal at all--a person wants some confirmation.

I rarely work offline, so I can't help much with how it works on a regular basis. My expectation, and experience in this brief test, is that sync begins as soon as there is a data connection. Of course, that depends in part on  the speed and reliability of the connection. I've got an international plane ride coming up, so I expect I will do some offline work then, and see what happens when I get to the destination and get a connection again.

• Level 5
8 hours ago, CaptainHaiti said:

2. The blank note issue is back. Wenn I search in my 12k+ notes and select one, I have a blank screen and a message "Spechervorgang ..." i.e. saving

Take a look around the forums. What you describe is generally the result of a note being converted to the new sync structure before being displayed. I've seen delays of up to a minute on my Android phone. Usually, though, on the phone and in the Windows desktop app and the Web client, the delay is maybe 5 or 10 seconds. It's disconcerting for sure, and can be inconvenient if it takes more than a few seconds. But this is not a loss of data. Or are you saying that the note content never appears?

The sync'ing issues continue.  AAARGH!

Just made a note with text in Macbook. Then saw that it sync'ed with my iPhone 13.

Then used iPhone 13 to add 4 document images to the same note.

That note has the green triangle on it to show it hasn't sync'ed yet (after many minutes and me manually asking EN to sync by dragging down with my thumb on the screen and it showing a sync circle come and go).  No change.

So I go look at the same note on Macbook and what I see is some animation that looks like it's trying to bring the images in:

image.png.fb768b5f4ad959d1a5e540806c18b1ee.png

I see that on Macbook and Evernote.com versions of the note.

I updated Macbook app to latest version and restarted all the apps. No change.

I can't run a business like this, Evernote. 

It would be really great if you could roll back your sync'ing code and go back to the drawing board with it and get it right.  I can't lose data AND have a 2 minute task turn into 15 minutes. 

I'm getting to a point where I am having thoughts of starting over with some other system rather than put up with much more of this, as much as it pains me to say after 14 years of customer loyalty.

I don't have a staff of people. It's me and Evernote and a couple of other systems in my workflow.

Evernote needs to WORK, not cause me more work.

"Sync'ing" is still happening in the time it took for me to write all this out (about 10 minutes). No change to this situation.

Very, very frustrating.

On 6/4/2023 at 3:30 PM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

@amliddy, have you contacted Evernote support? https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. There's an off chance that they might be able to recover at least some of your data, and in any case they need to know about such problems and the circumstances associated with them.

Similar issue: half the note is GONE due to apparent bug in UI. 

- I am NOT a paying user. I don't need a detailed note history, but not being able to recover a slightly older version?

- Is there ANY way to contact the support if I am not a pair subscriber?

14 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

I'm not sure about "when you press it": what are you pressing? In the Windows desktop app, there's a brief "Saving..." message at bottom right, but nothing to press there. But you're on an Android tablet, right? On my Android phone there isn't a "save icon" to press either.

Yes Im generally on an Android tablet when offline. I'm talking about the green tick that appears in the top left corner (instead of the green arrow). Often when I press the tick nothing happens and there is no indication what is going on. If it does save and I make a few more edits then save again, I can almost guarantee the changes won't have synced when I get back to my Windows desktop and going back to the tablet there is no evidence that the changes ever existed. It's all very flaky and frustrating.

• Level 5
7 hours ago, Caltor said:

Yes Im generally on an Android tablet when offline. I'm talking about the green tick that appears in the top left corner (instead of the green arrow). Often when I press the tick nothing happens and there is no indication what is going on. If it does save and I make a few more edits then save again, I can almost guarantee the changes won't have synced when I get back to my Windows desktop and going back to the tablet there is no evidence that the changes ever existed. It's all very flaky and frustrating.

Ah, thanks, that's clear. I don't see this happen often, if at all. My first guess (no more than that) would be a problematic Internet connection. Are you in an academic setting? In any case, I assume you're on WiFi rather than mobile data. Sometimes even one's position in a building can affect the strength of the connection; if there is a large number of people accessing the network at the same time (as might be the case in a lecture hall), that could be a problem too. Perhaps the best solution (if connectivity is indeed the problem) might be to remain offline, keeping the data safe on your tablet, until you're somewhere with a very reliable Internet connection.

• Level 5
8 hours ago, Dmitry Gerenrot said:

Similar issue: half the note is GONE due to apparent bug in UI. 

- I am NOT a paying user. I don't need a detailed note history, but not being able to recover a slightly older version?

- Is there ANY way to contact the support if I am not a pair subscriber?

Evernote support does have a Twitter account -- I'm not sure of the exact handle, but I'm sure you could locate it. Otherwise, paying for a subscription for one month, and then dropping back to free, might be a way of both contacting support and accessing note history.

• Evernote Expert
7 hours ago, Caltor said:

This lost data issue is will known and one of two issues being given all the attention by the Evernote Devs. We were asked to submit a ticket with log file and the note ID as well as time & date when the issue occurred.

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Evernote support does have a Twitter account -- I'm not sure of the exact handle, but I'm sure you could locate it. 

twitter.com/evernotehelps

• Thanks 1

Me too,now!

When I opened the notebook that I added little by little until June 8th, it was back to the state of June 1st. 8 days worth of data disappeared. I didn't do anything unusual. I've been using the Evernote Free version for 10 years, but this is the first time I've encountered this.

Is there a way to get the data back or prevent this from happening in the future?

• Level 5

@kj4321, take a look at the messages just preceding yours. Evernote programmers are aware of the issues and are bearing down on them. As a free user, you can contact support via Twitter. You could also subscribe for just one month, then drop back to free. While subscribed, you could access your Note History and see what is there (this might be the easiest and most direct approach). And you would also get paid access to support.

On 6/7/2023 at 6:05 PM, agsteele said:

This lost data issue is will known and one of two issues being given all the attention by the Evernote Devs. We were asked to submit a ticket with log file and the note ID as well as time & date when the issue occurred.

Since server overload may reveal underlying data loss bugs, it is important to fix the root cause of the data loss first: race condition bugs and/or poor recovery from resource exhaustion. Data loss should never happen, not even in the event of communication problems or the server being choked.

Solving the performance issues first would give the false impression that the data loss has been solved but this would come back sooner or later upon the next  server hick up...

• Like 2
On 6/1/2023 at 2:54 PM, Boot17 said:

Just lost some data in a note including a whole task. Data isn't in note history either.

I haven't lost data like this in Evernote in a couple of years -- as far as I know anyway.

Sigh. Just lost another two hours of work this morning.

I saw that a new version of Evernote was out for MacOS so I downloaded it and exited Evernote and applied the update.

The note that I was working in MacOS Desktop never made it's way to the server I guess. The missing content is not appearing in the web version and I've restored every version from note history. I had one task in the note that was wiped out as well -- the task was there but everything in it was empty.

Edit: Even though I lost that data, hopefully the issues that led to it happening have been fixed now with the 10.58.3 update.

• Sad 1

Entering the club... :( Found out 99% disappearing of a note with a few year important statistic buisness info. 

After that revealed, that the latest app free version doesn't work on Win7 (haven't planned to update, have some reasons).

Procrastinated too long with plain backups of such info and now have completely clear vision, that this app is not safe at all. Data can disappear at any time wih no way to recover. So there is no sense in this product. Shame for developers, study for naive noobs.

I lost all the data in the main note that I use as kind of todolist.

How is it possible that an app that is used to store and organize date loses data? It is like a Tesla car that didn't move .... I'd like to hear the answer from Evernote team.

I am staggered to read this thread. 

I have had the same issue of Notes failing to open/ content lost. This is the very backbone of what we rely on Evernote for. I have been using EN for well over 10 years and have around 10,000 notes filed. Obviously I am a paid subscriber.

How can they allow the core functionality of their product to fail? 

Raising a ticket with EN support belittles this issue. 

In my case I keep a backup in another folder, outside the EN architecture. Thankful Mac Finder seems to locate the required notes.

EVERNOTE - YOU NEED TO SORT THIS OUT. It should not have happened in the first place. 

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert
12 minutes ago, Stephen CM said:

Raising a ticket with EN support belittles this issue

No, doing nothing belittles the issue. Opening a ticket is the only way to be sure your voice is heard.

As it happens an Evernote executive head addressed the issue in a pinned thread. He has promised an update today so we will see what transpires.

Ensure that your Evernote client is fully synchronized with the Evernote servers. Sometimes, data discrepancies can occur if there are sync issues between devices or if the sync process is interrupted. Wait for the sync to complete and check if your missing work note reappears.

Hello everyone. I am a paid subscriber who uses Evernote for many years – and through these years I had really A LOT of moments when I had thoughts like "ok, this was the last straw – count me out". There were so many reasons to do that – especially terrible syncing issues, freezing on a completely new laptop, disappearing tasks and various bugs (not mentioning that I never obtained any answer from tech support after sending them an email) – but I never did it for real. 

After the recent announcement of price rise (going from 6,99 € to 12,99 € is really not cool) I thought that Evernote will do everything to justify this step and everything will go smooth. But again, no.

I just finished a note just to find out the half of it is gone. No note history, half of the content missing in every device, nothing. 

So "thank you" very much. Dear Evernote team, I can guarantee that each of us here is a VERY patient user (otherwise we would not be here, trust me). But treating us like this – asking for 13 € every month and giving us zero data safety and loses in return – is a very very very very VERY last straw. 

PLEASE, fix these serious issues. Otherwise see you (hopefully not) in paperland.

• Like 1

Now I'm having notes rise to the top of my Notes that say they were edited "57 minutes ago" when the last time I edited them according to Note History was two weeks ago or something like that. 

This is pushing down notes that I actually edited/created in the last day or so. 

This started late last week sometime.

I deleted one of the notes because I don't need it anymore but another one is annoyingly rising to the top when it shouldn't be.

Is Sync's sync'ing somehow getting counted as an Edit??

• Evernote Expert

Are you using a mobile device? There was a bug with mobile that did this. Viewing a note marked the note as updated. I thought that was fixed but worth reviewing which device this is happening on and which version of the apps are involved.

7 minutes ago, agsteele said:

Are you using a mobile device? There was a bug with mobile that did this. Viewing a note marked the note as updated. I thought that was fixed but worth reviewing which device this is happening on and which version of the apps are involved.

I'm constantly moving between my Macbook Pro and iPhone as it relates to EN. But I first noticed it in the Macbook. Haven't had time to do a lot of fiddling with it to see if I can divine from which this is being caused. Not even sure how I would do that.

• Evernote Expert

When it was happening for me it was with the mobile device. I just looked at a note on my phone and the date updated. Not, however, on the desktop. 

I isolated the issue via the Note Info menu. On mobile it was updated. On desktop not.

• Like 1

Another paid subscriber here and EN user for years...spent all yesterday updating my task list in a note, adding content and links. This AM not only new things are wiped out, but lots of the old completed tasks. And many places that had a task now say "Untitled Task." Can't tell if this is related to same issue others having or what to do about it. Will also file a ticket. I've tried my other devices and looks same everywhere.

Screenshot 2023-06-12 at 12.00.07 PM.png

1 hour ago, agsteele said:

When it was happening for me it was with the mobile device. I just looked at a note on my phone and the date updated. Not, however, on the desktop. 

I isolated the issue via the Note Info menu. On mobile it was updated. On desktop not.

I can't reproduce the issue. I opened notes on both iPhone and Macbook, pausing each time to see if it updated the Updated date. Neither did so after opening the note.

So it's random. Unviewed notes will suddenly just appear up top having been "edited" recently, when I know I didn't come near the note.

• Level 5

My observation was it happened on the mobile clients by just opening the notes. It didn't happen on the desktop clients.

Maybe it plays a role that in one case the data is called from the server, and in the other case the local database is used.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

My observation was it happened on the mobile clients by just opening the notes. It didn't happen on the desktop clients.

Maybe it plays a role that in one case the data is called from the server, and in the other case the local database is used.

I can't seem to reproduce it. It just happens somehow.

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, hanseric said:

I can't seem to reproduce it. It just happens somehow.

I've got this problem about once a day. On latest windows version 10.58.x.  Last time I noticed the popped out Window with the note was the one I was editing, I saw the same note having focus in the main Evernote Window. That version was the old one, missing 20 lines of edits! Normally the main Window stays in sync with a popped out note in it's own Window. This time not.

So I immediately copied the whole popped out note to clipboard En closed that Window, and yes the old note in the main Window stayed and my changes got lost. I reopened that note, pasted the clipboard over the contents. Closed the Window. Now I got the changes saved.

Somehow the popped out Window lost its "connection" the the true Note data, making all changes made not in sync with the note in the main Window and loosing them on closing the popped out Window.

Question: people loosing work/changes, we're they also working in a popped out edit Window? 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
6 minutes ago, MvdH said:

I've got this problem about once a day. On latest windows version 10.58.x.  Last time I noticed the popped out Window with the note was the one I was editing, I saw the same note having focus in the main Evernote Window. That version was the old one, missing 20 lines of edits! Normally the main Window stays in sync with a popped out note in it's own Window. This time not.

So I immediately copied the whole popped out note to clipboard En closed that Window, and yes the old note in the main Window stayed and my changes got lost. I reopened that note, pasted the clipboard over the contents. Closed the Window. Now I got the changes saved.

Somehow the popped out Window lost its "connection" the the true Note data, making all changes made not in sync with the note in the main Window and loosing them on closing the popped out Window.

Question: people loosing work/changes, we're they also working in a popped out edit Window? 

When you say "popped out window" do you mean the "Open in new window" feature?

That has not been an issue for me. Mine are all in EN main program when this happens.

I'd be very surprised if the issue was related to the note being in its own window.

• Level 5
4 hours ago, Martina Pisova said:

Hello everyone. I am a paid subscriber who uses Evernote for many years – and through these years I had really A LOT of moments when I had thoughts like "ok, this was the last straw – count me out". There were so many reasons to do that – especially terrible syncing issues, freezing on a completely new laptop, disappearing tasks and various bugs (not mentioning that I never obtained any answer from tech support after sending them an email) – but I never did it for real. 

After the recent announcement of price rise (going from 6,99 € to 12,99 € is really not cool) I thought that Evernote will do everything to justify this step and everything will go smooth. But again, no.

I just finished a note just to find out the half of it is gone. No note history, half of the content missing in every device, nothing. 

So "thank you" very much. Dear Evernote team, I can guarantee that each of us here is a VERY patient user (otherwise we would not be here, trust me). But treating us like this – asking for 13 € every month and giving us zero data safety and loses in return – is a very very very very VERY last straw. 

PLEASE, fix these serious issues. Otherwise see you (hopefully not) in paperland.

Please be aware that these are primarily user-to-user forums. The people you're addressing here are not able to fix things, only discuss and offer advice. However, Evernote's product lead has a thread going in which he promises fixes to the missing content and other issues:

• Like 1

One hour of writing on my Mac in EN just disappeared.  I closed EN before putting up my computer; however nothing is registered for that hour in my "note history".  

Can't afford to lose an hour of like this... going to have to compose in something else. EN user since 2010 with 20k notes.  FRUSTRATED! 

Using latest versions on Mac, iPad, and iPhone.  

51 minutes ago, sfish said:

One hour of writing on my Mac in EN just disappeared.  I closed EN before putting up my computer; however nothing is registered for that hour in my "note history".  

Can't afford to lose an hour of like this... going to have to compose in something else. EN user since 2010 with 20k notes.  FRUSTRATED! 

Using latest versions on Mac, iPad, and iPhone.  

I hear ya screamin'. This is my exact situation minus the ipad part.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, hanseric said:

When you say "popped out window" do you mean the "Open in new window" feature?

That has not been an issue for me. Mine are all in EN main program when this happens.

I'd be very surprised if the issue was related to the note being in its own window.

Yes, "Open in new window". I agree with you, it has nothing to do with being in it's own window. However, me having that single note open in both the main window and a seperate Window, clearly shows me they are out of sync. Something they normally are not. I believe the note-editor you work in at that moment lost it's RTE connection to the local engine/storage somehow. I can clearly see the symptoms of that when the problem occurs.  The editor in the main window is not different from the one in a seperate new Window. Technically it would function and work exactly the same if these developers know what they are doing. So possible problems could occur in both, the same way. Like I answered to Federico's questions in a DM:

When the problem happens, I clearly see the seperate New Window with a single note in it on my right screen, showing all the extra text I typed or pasted there, and the same note in the main window of Evernote on my left screen NOT showing this text. Normal behaviour since RTE, is that I see (even per letter) myself typing through RTE in the main Window on my left screen, while that popped-out-note on my right screen is the one I'm typing in. So I can confirm that the Window with the note I typed in lost it's RTE connection to the base note data used to sync/store/etc..

I have this feeling I typed or pasted something in the note that caused the RTE link to the same note in the main Window to get severed erroneously. It makes me think of another pasting bug since RTE that we found with 100% reproduction »  see below the forum post for that one. It might even be related, therefor I thought to point it out to you, read the reproduction there. The only difference is that the RTE link stays intact, but data DOES get lost when the inline images all procuce circles and the pictures are lost.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, MvdH said:

I'm pretty sure that the note for the content that I lost was popped out in its own window at the time as I generally do that when I'm going to be working on a note for a particularly long time and I need to look up and work with other notes concurrently.

• Thanks 1

I've had this issue for several of my notes --- plus persistent elevated CPU usage (on Windows Desktop App). I call this phenomenon "relapsing notes, " or "sticky notes," where the note state stubbornly resists change / snaps back to its prior state. I submitted a support ticket weeks ago, along with log information. My ticket was transferred to the technical support team, but I have not heard back.

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, KAGS said:

I've had this issue for several of my notes --- plus persistent elevated CPU usage (on Windows Desktop App). I call this phenomenon "relapsing notes, " or "sticky notes," where the note state stubbornly resists change / snaps back to its prior state. I submitted a support ticket weeks ago, along with log information. My ticket was transferred to the technical support team, but I have not heard back.

I am in the same situation but they did reach out and state that due to the number of tickets responses would take longer than usual 

My trouble have been resolved by assistant Joanna who gave me a free period of Personal subscription, where I've found the lost data by "note history" tool and recovered all note content. Good lesson of timely backups of all important data. Hope you will recover your lost info guys!

• Like 1

@Asiris GreenYou're very fortunate! 

In my case, nearly every note that's disappeared leaves the title and erases the note, and for all of them, there is NO note history.

EN is broken. Watch your note counts carefully.

• Like 1

I noticed sync of notes take ages on  iPad (v10.) and android tablet (v10)

But on the old Android Phone (legacy) and Laptop (legacy) syncing has normal speed

Web-Interface has also normal sync speed. 

Obsidian or Jopplin are alternatives when you're willing to self host

• Level 5

Adding my own report. A note that I use as scratch (not the Home page Scratchpad, a note of my own) was edited yesterday evening. It had a lot of older material, including images, that I wasn't ready to delete yet. But today it was completely empty. Note history had the last version from yesterday, and the blank version was "updated" (not by me!) 5 minutes after that. I restored it from note history, so nothing lost permanently. And another note, to which I had added a header at the top, had its title deleted, and then of course the header became the title! All this happening (and I haven't experienced a lot of data lost) just as we're being assured that back-end fixes are getting this right:

• Sad 1
15 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Adding my own report. A note that I use as scratch (not the Home page Scratchpad, a note of my own) was edited yesterday evening. It had a lot of older material, including images, that I wasn't ready to delete yet. But today it was completely empty. Note history had the last version from yesterday, and the blank version was "updated" (not by me!) 5 minutes after that. I restored it from note history, so nothing lost permanently.

Has that note been viewed/edited concurrently in the past few days?

Updating my report from earlier -- I know this forum can't help, but support is backlogged and they couldn't help the first time a few months ago when I noticed hundreds of notes were gone. (Their advice: use legacy. Not)

I have been writing a long article for a few days, updating it when I have new thoughts.

This morning, opened my laptop, gave it a few minutes to get everything online, and started adding to the article.

IN THE MIDST OF WRITING, Evernote decided to sync, ERASING MOST of my three days' worth of work.

And no,  history has no record of all that writing to recover.

The frustrating part is I should have left Evernote the first time a few months ago, or at least a few weeks ago when a note evaporated.

But I keep hoping.... this morning has to be it....

Definition of insanity, keep doing the same thing OVER AND OVER, hoping for a different result.

My 30K notes are finding a new home.

• Thanks 1
46 minutes ago, Keys said:

Updating my report from earlier -- I know this forum can't help, but support is backlogged and they couldn't help the first time a few months ago when I noticed hundreds of notes were gone. (Their advice: use legacy. Not)

I have been writing a long article for a few days, updating it when I have new thoughts.

This morning, opened my laptop, gave it a few minutes to get everything online, and started adding to the article.

IN THE MIDST OF WRITING, Evernote decided to sync, ERASING MOST of my three days' worth of work.

And no,  history has no record of all that writing to recover.

The frustrating part is I should have left Evernote the first time a few months ago, or at least a few weeks ago when a note evaporated.

But I keep hoping.... this morning has to be it....

Definition of insanity, keep doing the same thing OVER AND OVER, hoping for a different result.

My 30K notes are finding a new home.

So, there is no history at all of your writings of the last few days?!?

There is no history of the single note I've been working in for the last few days -- or to be specific, it retained the title, and the first few lines of content, but the rest is gone forever.

Other notes that have backed up just fine retain their histories.

Just now, Keys said:

There is no history of the single note I've been working in for the last few days -- or to be specific, it retained the title, and the first few lines of content, but the rest is gone forever.

Other notes that have backed up just fine retain their histories.

The conclusion then is that it never synced, although the app probably informed you that it synced perfectly all the time ?

1 minute ago, eric99 said:

The conclusion then is that it never synced, although the app probably informed you that it synced perfectly all the time ?

Actually, that is the mystery: This note appeared to sync fine yesterday, as I was working on the note on my. phone yesterday, my desktop, and my laptop. The full version appeared on all three., and appeared to be updated.

The "sync" this morning backtracked to some mysterious previous three line early version of the note.

4 minutes ago, Keys said:

Actually, that is the mystery: This note appeared to sync fine yesterday, as I was working on the note on my. phone yesterday, my desktop, and my laptop. The full version appeared on all three., and appeared to be updated.

The "sync" this morning backtracked to some mysterious previous three line early version of the note.

But then why is there no history? Are we 1984?  I hoped history would never be altered, at least not in my notes...

• Evernote Expert

This is a pretty standard description of the three note sync issue that arrived with RTE. Thankfully it doesn't affect everyone but for those who have experienced the issue it is immensely troubling.

We know that the Evernote team is working hard to resolve this stuff but report it via the ticket system to add data to the issue.

Just now, agsteele said:

This is a pretty standard description of the three note sync issue that arrived with RTE. Thankfully it doesn't affect everyone but for those who have experienced the issue it is immensely troubling.

We know that the Evernote team is working hard to resolve this stuff but report it via the ticket system to add data to the issue.

why is it called "three note sync issue" ?

We know that the Evernote team was working hard to resolve this stuff, but they hoped that it was solved last friday 😕

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

No, all editing (just typing a couple paragraphs of text) was done on one device.

At least in your case history was still there!

But history that has been suddenly removed is very hard to understand and is completely unacceptable (all changes were synced on all devices before) .

History must be cumulative and may never be removed unless the note is completely removed.

Or there is something completely wrong with history, or the user was suddenly working on a duplicate from a few days ago without knowing...

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, agsteele said:

Interesting, thanks for that info. 

(In case support scans these) ;) in my case, something appears to be wonky with my EN web client -- the count in my web client has been running nearly 700 notes behind my other three devices. (The note counts are different on each device.)

Not sure how this is possible, as all devices are supposed to sync to the web client, then with the other devices? 

Anyway, we can hope.