Bending Spoons Price Increases Begin

Go to solution Solved by PinkElephant,

There's some chatter on Twitter and Reddit that people with expiring subscriptions are seeing renewal offers that are up to 80% higher (one example is a year of Personal being offered for $126, and Professional jumping from $9.99/month to $17.99/month). I'm not personally seeing these prices on my account, so this might simply be a pricing test.

I personally felt $70 annual for premium ($100 annual for Professional) was getting up there, then it went to $80/$110, and if it now goes to $126 minimum? In that case, Bending Spoons is about to find out just how loyal Evernote's users really are.

• Like 6
  • Level 5

Mmph. Evernote Professional is worth $100/year for me (at least I think it will be once I start using some more of its features). But one of the first things I noticed when Bending Spoons bought Evernote was the very high prices of some of BS's existing apps. I don't know what percentage of Evernote's users are in the USA--I expect it's significant--but if price increases of that magnitude really start happening across the board, BS is going to find out how much lower price tolerance Americans may have than Europeans. Does the nation that invented Walmart and absolutely believes that low price is the only factor in most buying decisions seem likely to support a stainless steel utility at platinum prices?

See also this new thread:

• Level 5

LOL - Aldi and Lidl make WalMart look a lot like a dinosaur observing a little dark spot up in the sky. So far about the discount paradise in the US.

We will see where this goes with EN pricing.

The official price for Personal/yearly on the website and in the AppStore is still 69.99€. This was the price already communicated, and I think it is already scraping the limits - I just need to compare it to a full O365 subscription.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Personal Upgrade price from my wife's Free plan is $79.99 USD per year. 

I am on the Personal Plan, and my new upgrade price to Professional is $9.17 per month = $110.04 USD per year. So they raised both plans by $10 per year. 

• Level 5

These raises were talks about months ago in the forum already. It depends a little about where you are located - they seem to adapt to currency relations as well. 10$/€ was the raise applied to all plans. That meant Plus was in percentage the steepest increase.

Anybody needs to review his perceived value, and compare it to the asking price. If it doesn’t match any more, take action. 

• Like 2
11 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

LOL - Aldi and Lidl make WalMart look a lot like a dinosaur observing a little dark spot up in the sky. So far about the discount paradise in the US.

We will see where this goes with EN pricing.

The official price for Personal/yearly on the website and in the AppStore is still 69.99€. This was the price already communicated, and I think it is already scraping the limits - I just need to compare it to a full O365 subscription.

I have what’s now Microsoft 365, the family package is a bargain in sub context.  Still trying to work out if OneNote cuts the mustard, it has email forwarding which is great! But im also really enjoying using Craft, trying to sus my work flow out a bit as im not convinced by onedrives universal sync, it doesn’t bring up all results. 

ps - yup in the uk the drive is towards trying to save money where possible, the cost of living crisis lives large. The price increases some are seeing are laughable, I don’t see many justifying paying that when we struggle to pay our energy bills! 

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Yes, when price hikes on food or energy hit, we are reminded there are 1st world problems, and the real ones. A reminder as well that a large part of the world population is never thinking about 1st world problems, because it’s beyond the day to day struggle, and survival. Food and energy prices go up for these fellow human beings as well, but they can’t cut back on the one or other subscription.

About the EN price hikes: The company makes an asking price, and we users can accept it (happily or grunting), or drop it. If anybody wants to have the dropping option, he should care for his personal „Plan B“. It is as simple as that - and because the use cases are individual, the plan Bs are individual as well. Sometimes a tough choice, but there are tougher ones (Food or warmth ? Warmth or medicine ? Medicine or needed clothing ? …).

So let’s continue posting our 1st world worries - 😱 subscription prices may rise 💀

• Like 2
  • Confused 2
10 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

So let’s continue posting our 1st world worries

At the risk of being controversial i couldn't care less about 1st/2nd/3rd world issues how many times do you see people stepping off boats around the world with mobile phones and internet....as i was driving through slums in Luanda for example I saw they might have no running water or toilet but they have a sky tv dish! So I don't really care where someone lives or about their perceived "challenges".

Anyway I digress.

Evernote is a tool. It does a job. It could be improved and if they want to ramp up the costs significantly then many ( myself included) will be off to alternatives unless I start seeing things like easy bidirectional linking, manual sorting and AI- I have google alerts set up monitoring alternatives so have some ideas as to where I would go.

I DO think they should do away with the moronic FREE package. Yes make it free for a say a month with say max 50 notes then you pay. They must spend a fortune providing the service and "support" to free users.

If you cant figure out you need it after a month pull your data out and go elsewhere. You don't rent a mobile phone and then say not sure I will need it but Ill keep using it on a free plan if you don't mind.

I suspect the new owners are getting rid of the freewheelers and fantasists who have "worked there" and i hope they now start looking at how to drag the elephant into the world of 2023.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have it but it is so awkward to use = not easy=I would like En to implement  [[  ]] which would then link to an existing note or section of not OR create a note. They then need to implement AI. They argument that En will never do.......xxx are nolonger acceptable. 

• Like 3
  • Level 5

There is nothing more easy than backlinking: Create a link in one note (donor), insert it into another (host), done. This creates a direct link from the host to the donor note.

The backlink from the donor to the host is created automatically, without any user action.

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert
58 minutes ago, RobertJLee said:

implement AI

I know that the new owners are exploring AI. I also know that for some users it is an inevitable, possibly essential, development. Others cannot see any value in AI whatsoever.

I think AI will appear but I'm not sure how I would use it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Price tags was removed from Evernote "compare plan" web page (from Canada here)

But my billing cycle is still at 103.50 CAD no change for the moment (Personal subs) 

I will wait and see...but there's a limit that I can afford.

I've received "the" email advising me of my new cost to continue to use Evernote. This will mean that, to retain the same category of features, my costs have gone from USD70 to USD180.

I clearly have a choice to make, but the new owners of Evernote are not giving me any guidance on the new features. Will they apply to me? Is a cost that has increased by a factor of 2.5 in the last two years really justified? 

I was hoping that Bending Spoons would provide more usable functionality. But to have this scale of price increase, on top of what Evernote had already done without providing a reason to stay, appears to be a move to drive long-term customers away.

And @PinkElephant, if you haven't already, have a look at Tana or Loqseq or Obsidian or Notion (or even Roam Research) for much more usable implementations of bidirectional linking. Evernote's implementation takes a lot more time to both create a backlink and make use of a backlink. It is an improvement but falls well short of the more usable implementations out there.

CleanShot2023-03-06-Billing12_08_24.png.e0787c7ce3628ef4ca147a8d797cb0dc.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1
  • Level 5
16 hours ago, RobertJLee said:

Evernote is a tool. It does a job. It could be improved and if they want to ramp up the costs significantly then many ( myself included) will be off to alternatives unless I start seeing things like easy bidirectional linking, manual sorting and AI- I have google alerts set up monitoring alternatives so have some ideas as to where I would go.

I DO think they should do away with the moronic FREE package. Yes make it free for a say a month with say max 50 notes then you pay. They must spend a fortune providing the service and "support" to free users.

Agreed on the free month, then pay. I probably used it free for a month or less, and very quickly saw that I was getting benefits well worth paying for. If you can do just fine with what you get for "free" (only paying with your personal information) elsewhere, or bundled with a massive office-tools subscription, you're good. If you see something in Evernote that really makes things work better for you, then subscribe. Skip a cup of coffee every week to make up for it.

I agree with @PinkElephant that I don't see how creating a backlink could be any easier, since I literally do nothing in order to make it happen.

Not sure what the allure of AI is in this context--more magical searching? I'd be glad if anyone can fill me in.

• Like 3
57 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Agreed on the free month, then pay. I probably used it free for a month or less, and very quickly saw that I was getting benefits well worth paying for. If you can do just fine with what you get for "free" (only paying with your personal information) elsewhere, or bundled with a massive office-tools subscription, you're good. If you see something in Evernote that really makes things work better for you, then subscribe. Skip a cup of coffee every week to make up for it.

I agree with @PinkElephant that I don't see how creating a backlink could be any easier, since I literally do nothing in order to make it happen.

Not sure what the allure of AI is in this context--more magical searching? I'd be glad if anyone can fill me in.

@Dave-in-Decatur, the links in other tools are as easy as typing "@This is a link" (Tana) or "[[This is a link]]" and the software will either give you a dropdown of related links or create a new note/page. In Evernote it is three step activity, right click on where you want the link, type the text and enter/paste the link, and if you want to link to another Evernote page, you have to click on "select note", and then enter text to see the matched notes. I may not be doing this the quickest way in Evernote, but I have tried to figure out faster ways so if they are there, I couldn't find the, suggesting the user interface is too complex.

If this differs from how you create links, I would love to know how you do it.

And AI? The difference between existing Evernote search and AI is the ability to find semantically and by context. Assuming it is a large-language-model, I would expect the AI to easily handle synonyms and misspellings - a simple example, I search for contract, I see returns for that, as well as agreement and other phrases that the tool infers, are a type of contract. You might be interested in this article that provides a useful introduction https://towardsdatascience.com/ai-search-algorithms-every-data-scientist-should-know-ed0968a43a7a

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
2 hours ago, AlanH said:

I've received "the" email advising me of my new cost to continue to use Evernote. This will mean that, to retain the same category of features, my costs have gone from USD70 to USD180.

That is a ridiculous price hike. I hope that is somehow a mistake. My renewal is in July. I was expecting a $10 per year increase. 

hmm.  I just switched to monthly last month as my annual was about to renew and I wanted to see what bending spoons would do.  Just checked-my annual price for a personal plan hasn't increased yet (US based user).  Their existing mobile software is expensive, but maybe there's value for those folks that use it?  For me, Notion appears to be the only viable PlanB, and I'm exploring.  Honestly, the need to organize my work is worth a pretty penny.  The real question is which tool is the right one.  Notion has some neat concepts, and a few negatives.  Time will tell.  I'll keep following this thread, I find the variability in pricing showing up to be an odd practice for a company right after a acquisition.  Maybe they  don't know how engaged the users are in the forum?.  We're going to talk....

• Like 1
10 hours ago, agsteele said:

I think AI will appear but I'm not sure how I would use it.

Get a copy of obsidian (free) install text generator plugin ( free) and have a play. It will open your eyes to potential usage.

5 hours ago, AlanH said:

@Dave-in-Decatur, the links in other tools are as easy as typing "@This is a link" (Tana) or "[[This is a link]]" and the software will either give you a dropdown of related links or create a new note/page. In Evernote it is three step activity, right click on where you want the link, type the text and enter/paste the link, and if you want to link to another Evernote page, you have to click on "select note", and then enter text to see the matched notes. I may not be doing this the quickest way in Evernote, but I have tried to figure out faster ways so if they are there, I couldn't find the, suggesting the user interface is too complex.

Explained a lot more. eloquently than I did. If you are using or would like to use EN for idea management and creation ( check out Linking your thinking  via google) then EN is years behind other apps. If they want 2 x money they need to up their game.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, RobertJLee said:

If they want 2 x money they need to up their game.

This, this and this.

Seems like Evernote is for the people who have not kept up with technical advances and developments in recent years. Asking such a price is totally uncompetitive when comparing the feature set. It looks more and more like a fossil than really a state-of-the-art tool (which is what it once was!).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Unfortunately as i had bad feeling about BS it looks i was right :(

Still no communication after 3 months, price increase, no roadmap, no updates, layoffs...

Well if it looks like a duck, swim like a duck it must be a duck :) so really time to leave.

• Like 5
6 hours ago, AlanH said:

I too think [[ or @ could be great shortcuts for evernote to add, but they did add a keyboard shortcut for linking that you might find a little easier. Take a look at the video / description in the help article below:

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/208313588-Link-to-other-notes-in-Evernote

• Like 1
9 hours ago, lost_gweedo said:

The real question is which tool is the right one.  Notion has some neat concepts, and a few negatives.  Time will tell.

Recurring tasks in Notion are a nightmare to figure out. I have an annual contract until November and I will be monitoring alternatives closely. Many alternatives charge around 10-12 a month say 120 a year. If EN want me to pay more I expect something in return.

If I was a "Evernote ""Expert" " who made their living from promoting and explaining various EN functions I would be seriously worried and be looking at alternatives.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

For all worriers: My wife’s Personal sub became due today. 59,99€ were booked, just as advertised since last year.

and

1 hour ago, Reuven said:

Next billing date on August 16, 2023 for $75.85

but 

18 hours ago, AlanH said:

I've received "the" email advising me of my new cost to continue to use Evernote. This will mean that, to retain the same category of features, my costs have gone from USD70 to USD180. [with attached screenshot]

I share the same sentiment as @lost_gweedo here:

13 hours ago, lost_gweedo said:

I'll keep following this thread, I find the variability in pricing showing up to be an odd practice for a company right after a acquisition.

• Like 2
  • Level 5
16 hours ago, AlanH said:

And AI? The difference between existing Evernote search and AI is the ability to find semantically and by context. Assuming it is a large-language-model, I would expect the AI to easily handle synonyms and misspellings - a simple example, I search for contract, I see returns for that, as well as agreement and other phrases that the tool infers, are a type of contract. You might be interested in this article that provides a useful introduction https://towardsdatascience.com/ai-search-algorithms-every-data-scientist-should-know-ed0968a43a7a

Thanks for this. I'm OK with keyboard shortcuts, less OK with learning new syntaxes. If I'm reading you right, you're saying that other tools allow you to type link-creation  syntax and create a not-yet-existing note along with a link to it, while Evernote requires a note to exist already before creating a link to it. For my thought-flow, I prefer the latter, and haven't yet found Evernote's process an impediment (especially now with Ctrl+Alt+K). At some point when linking to an existing note, you have to either choose from a list or type till the name of the desired note shows up. But these are very individual preferences, and it couldn't hurt to have further options. Since Ctrl+Alt+K and backlinks (which BTW was actually what I was talking about, and remains work that EN does, not me) are relatively new arrivals in EN, perhaps other progress is soon to arrive.

Search that handles typos would certainly be great. Synonyms ... maybe, but I wouldn't want to have to deal with a lot of false positives, or with misunderstood technical terms. It will be interesting to see if BenSpo starts introducing AI functions. Thanks!

• Like 1

So I've seen a few people making a lot of noise about "outrageous" price increases and have so far seen 0 evidence that it's even slightly true. 

If you've received an email about this price increase, please share a screenshot in the forum. 

• Like 5
19 hours ago, AlanH said:

I clearly have a choice to make, but the new owners of Evernote are not giving me any guidance on the new features. Will they apply to me? Is a cost that has increased by a factor of 2.5 in the last two years really justified? 

I was hoping that Bending Spoons would provide more usable functionality. But to have this scale of price increase, on top of what Evernote had already done without providing a reason to stay, appears to be a move to drive long-term customers away.

And @PinkElephant, if you haven't already, have a look at Tana or Loqseq or Obsidian or Notion (or even Roam Research) for much more usable implementations of bidirectional linking. Evernote's implementation takes a lot more time to both create a backlink and make use of a backlink. It is an improvement but falls well short of the more usable implementations out there.

CleanShot2023-03-06-Billing12_08_24.png.e0787c7ce3628ef4ca147a8d797cb0dc.png

@AlanHplease share a screenshot of that email (or a note with it saved). No one's provided any evidence of this price increase so far. 

1 minute ago, James | Headquarters said:

@AlanHplease share a screenshot of that email (or a note with it saved). No one's provided any evidence of this price increase so far. 

Please look again at the screen shot he provided which clearly says 

image.png.81f39ab4e5898b00f700e2ccbc3174cf.png

11 hours ago, Paul A. said:

I too think [[ or @ could be great shortcuts for evernote to add, but they did add a keyboard shortcut for linking that you might find a little easier. Take a look at the video / description in the help article below:

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/208313588-Link-to-other-notes-in-Evernote

Thanks for sharing that. The key-board opens the dialogue box to capture the information about the link, removing the need to right-click and select the option, but all the other actions remain. Still a lot more work to create links.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

For all worriers: My wife’s Personal sub became due today. 59,99€ were booked, just as advertised since last year.

It seems Armageddon just got postponed …

The following clip shows the pricing I see when looking for alternatives to my current professional plan. Annual totals are:

Personal: USD126 EUR118

Professional: USD180 EUR169

Teams: USD150 EUR141

I want some of what your wife has! She is getting a 50% discount off Bending Spoon's new list price. As an aside I might be better off with a single Teams subscription if they don't have a minimum number of team members.

Are other existing subscribers seeing the same costs? I live in New Zealand. Is there consistent pricing in different locations?

CleanShot2023-03-07-Evernote08_20_30.thumb.png.975e6f13259d9ca0fe295956bceebb20.png

• Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, AlanH said:

The following clip shows the pricing I see when looking for alternatives to my current professional plan. Annual totals are:

I want some of what your wife has! She is getting a 50% discount off Bending Spoon's new list price. As an aside I might be better off with a single Teams subscription if they don't have a minimum number of team members.

Are other existing subscribers seeing the same costs? I live in New Zealand. Is there consistent pricing in different locations?

CleanShot2023-03-07-Evernote08_20_30.thumb.png.975e6f13259d9ca0fe295956bceebb20.png

No, I still see the same price for my next payment on sept 2023 : € 59,99 (personal)

37 minutes ago, James | Headquarters said:

Happy to share it again, and I've highlighted the relevant info so it is easier to see. I also include the screenshot from Evernote's site on the pricing of the different options.

I'm really lucky! They are giving me a 1c discount off their list price . . . 

CleanShot2023-03-07-Billing08_37_44.png.73ed1e52004b79149e2216f5ed6ff2a5.png

image.thumb.png.4f35019ebc1f1c86209ed4b4d69b825c.png

5 minutes ago, eric99 said:

No, I still see the same price for my next payment on sept 2023 : € 59,99 (personal)

Where are you based, @eric99?   I assume you are in the Euro zone as you see that currency.

43 minutes ago, AlanH said:

They probably confuse US Dollar with your currency, New Zealand Dollar?  10.50 New Zealand Dollar = €6.08  which seems to be the normal price...

• Like 3
43 minutes ago, agsteele said:

The price for a new subscriber is likely to differ from that offered for renewal.

That was I tought first , but HalanH case is from a renewal increase price , not has a new subscriber , that why I start to worry. 

But from my side, no change for now, still on old price.

• Level 5

The new Personal subscription of my wife is a regular renewal that happened today, no peeks & perks, paid with PayPal directly to EN, 59.99€ for the next year.

Everything went smooth and like the years before with that transaction.

2 hours ago, eric99 said:

They probably confuse US Dollar with your currency, New Zealand Dollar?  10.50 New Zealand Dollar = €6.08  which seems to be the normal price...

I wonder if this is the explanation? I noticed one of the people on Twitter who posted a similar screenshot said they were based in Australia (but screenshot clearly indicated price was in USD). A mistake that conflates AUD/NZD prices with USD would also explain why there are only a "few" reports of such a dramatic price increase.

Also, laying off 1/3 or 1/2 of your employees makes it far more likely for mistakes like this to crop up and not be fixed immediately.

• Like 3

The price increase is all over Twitter, and a couple of YouTube videos also discuss this (search for "Evernote price increase"). My renewal price for next year shows the same amount as last year, but I guess this is likely to change. Also, I can't find the pricing on the Evernote website anymore. Since this afternoon, all I get is the feature comparison between plans but no mention of the pricing difference between them. Weird. 

2 hours ago, Paul A. said:

I wonder if this is the explanation? I noticed one of the people on Twitter who posted a similar screenshot said they were based in Australia (but screenshot clearly indicated price was in USD). A mistake that conflates AUD/NZD prices with USD would also explain why there are only a "few" reports of such a dramatic price increase.

Also, laying off 1/3 or 1/2 of your employees makes it far more likely for mistakes like this to crop up and not be fixed immediately.

Thanks to those that have pointed out that currency possibility. I have asked EN support for more information, and if I get anything useful from this, I will advise. I hope that is the reality!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Constantine001 said:

The price increase is all over Twitter, and a couple of YouTube videos also discuss this (search for "Evernote price increase"). My renewal price for next year shows the same amount as last year, but I guess this is likely to change. Also, I can't find the pricing on the Evernote website anymore. Since this afternoon, all I get is the feature comparison between plans but no mention of the pricing difference between them. Weird. 

Yes, I've noticed the same thing. The only way I could get to the comparison was by going to my Account Info, clicking on "Manage Subscription", and then clicking on "manage" under the title Account Level. I can't find any other pricing on the public site.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5
2 hours ago, AlanH said:

Yes, I've noticed the same thing. The only way I could get to the comparison was by going to my Account Info, clicking on "Manage Subscription", and then clicking on "manage" under the title Account Level. I can't find any other pricing on the public site.

Very helpful! I just did that and found the comparison below.

image.thumb.png.018b0ef20af9c70dd90a3aaa1393f421.png

That's US$110/year for Professional, a 10% increase from my current US$100. Given inflationary pressures world wide, that doesn't seem unreasonable. For comparison, here is my recent billing history. The two payments in 2022 represent my $30 upgrade from Personal to Professional. Note the price stability (for a continuing subscription) over several years.

image.png.0a0966b097bfdf5b7a40bae0d22382f7.png

9 hours ago, Mike P said:

Please look again at the screen shot he provided which clearly says 

image.png.81f39ab4e5898b00f700e2ccbc3174cf.png

That's not an email announcing a price increase. That's a single screenshot of an automatically-generated invoice amongst a feed full of people confirming that their price is unchanged.

Aside from the currency explanation, it's also odd that Pro is priced higher than teams in the plans screenshot. Almost certainly just a glitch. 

Making YouTube videos about a MASSIVE price increase before it's even slightly verified is clickbait tactics 101 @Tom Solid.

Edited by James | Headquarters
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Very helpful! I just did that and found the comparison below.

image.thumb.png.018b0ef20af9c70dd90a3aaa1393f421.png

That's US$110/year for Professional, a 10% increase from my current US$100. Given inflationary pressures world wide, that doesn't seem unreasonable. For comparison, here is my recent billing history. The two payments in 2022 represent my $30 upgrade from Personal to Professional. Note the price stability (for a continuing subscription) over several years.

image.png.0a0966b097bfdf5b7a40bae0d22382f7.png

Wow! What have I done to Evernote to deserve the difference in pricing? I'm intrigued that the Teams subscription is the same.

8 minutes ago, James | Headquarters said:

That's not an email announcing a price increase. That's a single screenshot of an automatically-generated invoice amongst a feed full of people confirming that their price is unchanged.

Aside from the currency explanation, it's also odd that Pro is priced higher than teams in the plans screenshot. Almost certainly just a glitch. 

Making YouTube videos about a MASSIVE price increase before it's even slightly verified is clickbait tactics 101 @Tom Solid.

Well, if it is a glitch, Evernote is taking a long time to tell me!

I find it difficult to believe I have been singled out for this treatment so this "automatically-generated" update that consisted of the update on my account and an email suggests I am not alone. I look forward to their explanation of the "glitch." 

So a question for you @James | Headquarters, if you see this type of increase, when would a YouTube video or social media post be appropriate? The "glitch" makes an interesting statement about the new owner's quality control of change. 

42 minutes ago, AlanH said:

Well, if it is a glitch, Evernote is taking a long time to tell me!

I find it difficult to believe I have been singled out for this treatment so this "automatically-generated" update that consisted of the update on my account and an email suggests I am not alone. I look forward to their explanation of the "glitch." 

So a question for you @James | Headquarters, if you see this type of increase, when would a YouTube video or social media post be appropriate? The "glitch" makes an interesting statement about the new owner's quality control of change. 

Indeed and I can't speak for or to their customer support, particularly after only just hearing that they've laid people off. 

In short, it's not hard to imagine that there _are_ price increases coming but an increase of that size couldn't possibly be done (even legally) without you being given proper notice.

It's very likely that it's a glitch (backed up further by the numbers that come out when you do the conversion and the inconsistent Pro to Teams figures) and we could all afford to give them a little grace in the transition.

If you think about it through the lens of handling the takeover of a company with millions of users and over a decade of history (which I haven't, and most haven't, done) you'll likely be a bit more understanding of errors along the way. 

Re: timing of a video. The answer is very simple: you create a video about how Evernote IS lifting prices when you have something official that proves that's the case. Prior to that you make videos saying "there's lots of noise about a possible price increase, will that be the case?" 

I won't go so far as to say he's acting in bad faith but framing the video as if the increase is a fact before it's actually confirmed is intentionally jumping on the "Evernote's over, see I told you " bandwagon because he knows that that's a talking point. Effective for marketing and channel growth in the short-term perhaps but definitely not how I would run a channel if I wanted to be seen as a trusted source vs a BuzzFeed.

• Like 2
On 3/4/2023 at 4:47 AM, WilliamL said:

Still trying to work out if OneNote cuts the mustard, it has email forwarding which is great! But im also really enjoying using Craft, trying to sus my work flow out a bit as im not convinced by onedrives universal sync, it doesn’t bring up all results. 

If you are on Mac it doesn't. OneNote is missing features on the actual app and they did away with the Safari web clipper years ago with promises to bring it back and never did. I brought over a lot of educational people then and now I'll have to move them back out to something else, which honestly will probably be notion because they have a great education plan.

As an Expert I'm hanging around to see what plays out, but I have already started looking for an alternative for my personal use.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

It's also interesting to note that "Next billing date on May 11, 2023 for $99.99" is not the same as the actual prices shown for your current plan. My experience is the same. Presumably that number will be updated at some stage in the future (nearer the due date?) but it does look  as though EN are being a little misleading about what we will pay at our next renewall dates.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, James | Headquarters said:

Hi,

First post here despite almost 10 years as a paid user of Evernote. Here are the emails from Evernote and Apple with details of the 50% price rise for the Plus subscription. I'm in Spain so they are in Spanish, please let me know if you need me to translate. 

Richard

EvernotePricingEvernoteEmail.JPG

EvernotePricingAppleEmail.JPG

EvernotePricing.JPG

5 hours ago, jjordan said:

The issue with Evernote is not its price increase, it is its lack of performance on features 

Home, tasks (now recurring), calendar events and now backlinks. Not sure what you're hoping for but the shipping of new features has been impressive since V10 was released. 

Remember, Evernote is a note-taking tool. Notion, Craft, Coda etc are all-in-one team workspaces first and foremost. Trying to do like-for-like comparisons between them is like comparing running shoes with UGG Boots. They're both shoes but I sure as hell won't be going for a run in UGGs. 

• Like 5
1 hour ago, James | Headquarters said:

Home, tasks (now recurring), calendar events and now backlinks. Not sure what you're hoping for but the shipping of new features has been impressive since V10 was released. 

Yes, some of the new features could have been impressive.

But...with EN10 they decided to stop developing native apps and changed to imprison unified code in frameworks. Performance has gone and never catched up. The old dev team even after 2 years was incapable of bringing this to the level you expect from a note taking app in 2023: That is being snappy on real world devices (not only top notch or on iOS). Using EN on an Android was and is a PIA if not running on the latest devices. That's why none of the new features are usable on my devices in an every day manner. Quick note taking, quick capturing -> go for a native app like Keep, OneNote.

I hope Bending Spoons with their skills in creating native mobile apps will get things right and make EN a technically future proof note taking app again on mobile.

(btw: as a paying customer I welcomed the lay off rounds of the Android devs / product manager for the above reason)

2 hours ago, Alxa said:

But...with EN10 they decided to stop developing native apps and changed to imprison unified code in frameworks. Performance has gone and never catched up. The old dev team even after 2 years was incapable of bringing this to the level you expect from a note taking app in 2023: That is being snappy on real world devices (not only top notch or on iOS). Using EN on an Android was and is a PIA if not running on the latest devices. That's why none of the new features are usable on my devices in an every day manner. Quick note taking, quick capturing -> go for a native app like Keep, OneNote.

I hope Bending Spoons with their skills in creating native mobile apps will get things right and make EN a technically future proof note taking app again on mobile.

(btw: as a paying customer I welcomed the lay off rounds of the Android devs / product manager for the above reason)

Welcoming people being laid off isn't a particularly pleasant thing to do but each to their own I guess. As long as we get an app that meets your speed expectations I guess it's all good. 

• Like 3

I went in to cancel my subscription, just to make sure I didn't forget about it and get dinged for a yearly sub down the road. It offered me 40% off my usual rate for when my sub is up in June -- nothing has changed for me. So odd. 

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, James | Headquarters said:

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s170/sh/3ee44ade-758b-3306-1f4b-9cd52d30da3a/KfeHefMWhr6KM1kPuBDAhXlAIryJVQJhXSEkaEk2NmkdvTLI6he-r8XlPQ

In summary: 

• Prices are being increased, in some cases by 80% or more
  • The increase varies from user to user based on a number of factors including renewal date, plan, currency, location (and others)
  • They're explaining it away by saying that it's for ongoing investment and improvement

Hmm, this seems to be summarized by chatGPT: where do you read in the transcript a price increase of 80% or more (apart from your own speculations)  ?

21 minutes ago, eric99 said:

Hmm, this seems to be summarized by chatGPT: where do you read in the transcript a price increase of 80% or more (apart from your own speculations)  ?

I'm flattered that you think my summary is as effective as one done by ChatGPT but I assure you it's an artisanally-crafted DIY summary. Good suggestion though. 

"The bracket would be up to 80% increase. I'm not positive about the 100% increase. This could be an error in their billing."

• Haha 1

I'm flattered that you think my summary is as effective as one done by ChatGPT...

Out of curiosity, I asked Bing AI for a summary of the transcript, I must admit I'm surprised!

• James is a customer of Evernote who is concerned about the price increase of the service.
  • Evernote Support is Renier, who tries to explain the reasons for the price increase and the benefits of the service.
  • James is not satisfied with the explanation and accuses Evernote of being unethical and greedy.
  • Evernote Support does not answer James’ questions about the percentage of the increase and the different rates for different customers.
  • Thanks 1

In my case the price increase seems to be about 10%. That would be ok, IF the software was fully functioning, or at least there was some kind of clear plan/roadmap for the future. But when the new owner's first action is hiding and increasing prices, it sure makes me worry. 😕

• Like 4

The increase varies from user to user based on a number of factors including renewal date, plan, currency, location (and others)

This might explain why I've been struggling to find the pricing on the Evernote website for the last couple of days and there was no sight of it. Even on the plan comparison page, there is a button to purchase each plan without mentioning their prices.

• Like 2
  • Evernote Expert

Many applications don't offer a price until you have registered for the service and then want to move up to a particular level of service.  I dislike this lack of access to pricing but that's seemingly the way some companies operate.

40 minutes ago, eric99 said:

Out of curiosity, I asked Bing AI for a summary of the transcript, I must admit I'm surprised!

• James is a customer of Evernote who is concerned about the price increase of the service.
  • Evernote Support is Renier, who tries to explain the reasons for the price increase and the benefits of the service.
  • James is not satisfied with the explanation and accuses Evernote of being unethical and greedy.
  • Evernote Support does not answer James’ questions about the percentage of the increase and the different rates for different customers.

Damn, that's a good sentiment analysis... 

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, Constantine001 said:

This might explain why I've been struggling to find the pricing on the Evernote website for the last couple of days and there was no sight of it. Even on the plan comparison page, there is a button to purchase each plan without mentioning their prices.

Since when is charging people different amounts based on anything other than their plan a thing? Never encountered that before... 

• Level 5

To me it looks as if they currently have sort of a mess with advertising and accounting.

Who has a discrepancy should contact support. The ticket type "Payment & Billing" is available for all plans, including Free.

22 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

To me it looks as if they currently have sort of a mess with advertising and accounting.

Who has a discrepancy should contact support. The ticket type "Payment & Billing" is available for all plans, including Free.

I think it is clear the pricing has increased. @James | Headquarters quoted the chat he had with support - why ignore that? And the people on Twitter and YouTube who covered this included screenshots of actual emails from Evernote stating the pricing increase which was more than 80%. And some of these people who covered this, again on social media and their websites, are note-taking and productivity app aficionados of some stature (some even have interviewed Evernote's SEO in the past) - so we are not talking about random people making up stories. Let's admit the increase. Who knows, Evernote might change their mind again.

• Like 1

Bottom line is I can't find ANYTHING that does EVERYTHING EN does . Bending Spoons have obviously figured this out and know a percentage of users will put up with increase. Meanwhile we can all hope someone writes EN2- been a long time coming.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

We have several threads about pricing, unfortunately.

As I have already posted in "the other" thread, my wife's Personal subscription had become due 2 days ago. She was charged 59.99€ for the next 12 months.

That's what was communicated in advance. This is factual information, not a fog machines output. Nothing to admit, it's on the bank account.

We found (see the other thread, we shouldn't duplicate everything here) that part of the unexplained increases were currency related: Users from Australia, or New Seeland or Canada got email information that said USD, but obviously meant the local dollar currency. Obviously because when using the exchange rate, the official USD price showed.

Looks more like a marketing mixup than a real increase. There is an increase, but it's the one communicated and discussed here months ago.

6 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

As I have already posted in "the other" thread, my wife's Personal subscription had become due 2 days ago. She was charged 59.99€ for the next 12 months.

That's what was communicated in advance. This is factual information, not a fog machines output. Nothing to admit, it's on the bank account.

We found (see the other thread, we shouldn't duplicate everything here) that part of the unexplained increases were currency related: Users from Australia, or New Seeland or Canada got email information that said USD, but obviously meant the local dollar currency. Obviously because when using the exchange rate, the official USD price showed.

Looks more like a marketing mixup than a real increase. There is an increase, but it's the one communicated and discussed here months ago.

@PinkElephant I hope your comment about the currency is accurate! I have still not had any response from Evernote, and the information on my account is very clearly USD, as I have already posted. I am intrigued that you are reporting your wife's experience as fact, while also commenting on the guess that has been made about the currencies as a marketing mixup. Do you have any communication from Evernote confirming this was true? 

I can see a situation where, because of time zones, Bending Spoons might want to charge more for support for areas out of their time zone than for users who can be easily covered. So NZ/Aus/Asia may well be charged more if that is the approach they take.

I just wish they would respond to me!

• Like 2
26 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

So Evernote did get back to me, but I missed the original message. The TL;DR, the increase is real.

Evernote wants me to pay 80% more to access the same set of features that I currently have. And as you will see from my billing history below, when they removed the Annual Premium Plan, I had to upgrade to Professional to retain the premium features. At least I got true boolean searching. So solely due to Evernote's subscription plan changes, my cost to use Evernote has increased from USD70 two years ago to USD180 due this month—only a 250% increase in cost. 

I have until the 17th to decide, but unless something changes, I have had enough of this approach to customers. The money is less of an issue in this case; after all we are only talking about 2-3 coffees (my currency of choice!) a month difference. It is more this significant increase with a very generic explanation to a long-term customer (and regular beta tester).

These comments are from the email that I sent to them:

"In addition to the increase in price, I am getting concerned about the lack of information you provide to your long-term users - and I include myself in that category. While there were things to criticise about the previous owners, they actively shared their work. I hope that the new owners change their current approach - the loyal following you have purchased deserve more than this desultory approach to communicating changes.

Unless you can provide me with a much more compelling proposition other than I get to keep using what I already have for 80% more, you have lost a long-time customer."

@PinkElephant And these are the facts as presented by Evernote. I wonder why some plans are changing so much now when others remain the same. I have asked why this is happening and if I get a response, I will share it here.

Here is the clarification from Evernote:

"Thank you for contacting Evernote Support. My name is Anna, and I'm happy to assist you today. 
I understand that you received an email that your plan's price will be increasing to 180 USD per year. With this, you want us to justify beyond the generic text included in the email you received on why you should stick with your current plan despite the increase in its price. I appreciate you taking the time to reach out to us regarding this matter and send us a copy of your billing history in advance.

To begin with, allow me to clarify the history of your payments since 2021: 

• March 16, 2021 - You paid 69.99 USD for an Annual Premium plan. For context, we removed this plan in July 2021.

• July 25, 2021 - You upgraded to Annual Professional, which is a different service level compared to the plan you purchased last March 16. Since this upgrade was made while your Annual Premium plan was ongoing, you got prorated credits (deduction on the plans' actual rates) for both of the subscription plans. 

• March 17, 2022 - Your Annual Professional plan renewed at its regular rate in the amount of 99.99 USD. 

With regard to your main concern: I may not be able to provide a more detailed context regarding the specific improvements that we're currently working on since I don't have access to the app's roadmap. Rest assured that the increase in price is for the overall improvement of the application on all of our clients (mobile, desktop, and www.evernote.com) in order to serve all of our valued customers better."

• Thanks 5
  • Level 5

It is wrong you needed to upgrade to Professional to keep anything you had on Premium.

The whole set of Premium features was available on Personal from day 1. In addition Personal got some new features that were not available on old Premium. There was NO feature (not a single one) that had been on Premium, but not on Personal. If you believe there was any, name it.

Professional sported some additional features that had never been part of old Premium. Most were new (Home, Tasks, Calendar, search), some were adapted from the Teams plan to a single user setup.

If you made use of Professional, it should pay for itself.

We can just tell what my wife was charged right now for renewing her regular Personal subscription - 59.99€ for 12 months. My Personal sub is up in July - we will see.

• Level 5
11 hours ago, Mike P said:

It's also interesting to note that "Next billing date on May 11, 2023 for $99.99" is not the same as the actual prices shown for your current plan. My experience is the same. Presumably that number will be updated at some stage in the future (nearer the due date?) but it does look  as though EN are being a little misleading about what we will pay at our next renewall dates.

Well, what that means is that I'm being "grandfathered" in at last year's price, while a new Pro sub would cost $110. Would cost me at this moment, at any rate. Some people are being told they're getting soaked for US$180/year, but I'm not being told that and I have no reason to think I will be told that--but I will definitely keep checking, and report back if I hear different. This is truly--what's that charming British phrase?--a dog's breakfast.

• Like 2
  • Level 5
8 hours ago, Alxa said:

Another strange mix of experiences. I recently upgraded to v. 10 on Android and have had occasional sync issues (having to click the green check many times, duplicate notes), but overall performance is everything that my fingers could possibly keep up with. Admittedly this is on an S22 Ultra and good home WiFi; as you suggest, differing hardware and network speeds could account for the varying results that users experience. I certainly don't experience performance or sync problems on the Windows app--but I did in the Web client on a computer that was slow and clogged, and clearly not able to sync with the required dexterity.

If the tradeoff for my few performance problems is the consistent feature set and (more or less) appearance across devices and platforms, I'll take it. If I were experiencing really devastating issues, I'd probably feel differently.

I too hope that BenSpoo will bring a different success level to the mobile app, for the sake of the many who are finding it unusable. I just hope they won't bring what seems to be their typical approach to pricing--but maybe they are.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
5 hours ago, James | Headquarters said:

I got direct clarification from support and I must say I'm both surprised and disappointed with both what Evernote is doing around pricing and how they're handling communications around this. Here's the transcript of my support chat.

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s170/sh/3ee44ade-758b-3306-1f4b-9cd52d30da3a/KfeHefMWhr6KM1kPuBDAhXlAIryJVQJhXSEkaEk2NmkdvTLI6he-r8XlPQ

In summary: 

• The increase varies from user to user based on a number of factors including renewal date, plan, currency, location (and others)
  • They're explaining it away by saying that it's for ongoing investment and improvement

3 hours ago, janndk said:

In my case the price increase seems to be about 10%. That would be ok, IF the software was fully functioning, or at least there was some kind of clear plan/roadmap for the future. But when the new owner's first action is hiding and increasing prices, it sure makes me worry. 😕

I focused on this in the chat thread that @James | Headquarters so helpfully share.

This pricing has been updated to help us continue improving product performance and reliability, as well as enabling further investment in our core capabilities like world-class search, templates, and web clipper along with new features like Home, Tasks, and Calendar.

For me, all these things are fully functioning, and given overall world economics (the tiny bit I know about them) a 10% increase doesn't seem too bad. But 80% ... that makes no  sense, particularly as "further investment" in stuff that's already in place and working. As for a "roadmap," no sensible software company offers that: at the very least it would tip off competitors, and if some of the hoped-for improvements took too long to implement, or proved so problematic they had to be drastically altered or dropped, that would alienate customers even further.

When they rolled out v. 10, it seemed to almost everyone that it was premature, unready, and very badly communicated. Perhaps they knew they'd take a hit, but expected to rebound once things were working better. New owner and all, I wonder if there's still a similar mindset here: massive price increases will cost us a bunch of paying users, but if we create pressures for free users to start paying and expect that a lot of people are so invested in Evernote they'll scream but pay anyway, we'll come out OK.

2 hours ago, AlanH said:

So Evernote did get back to me, but I missed the original message. The TL;DR, the increase is real.

Evernote wants me to pay 80% more to access the same set of features that I currently have. And as you will see from my billing history below, when they removed the Annual Premium Plan, I had to upgrade to Professional to retain the premium features. At least I got true boolean searching. So solely due to Evernote's subscription plan changes, my cost to use Evernote has increased from USD70 two years ago to USD180 due this month—only a 250% increase in cost. 

I have until the 17th to decide, but unless something changes, I have had enough of this approach to customers. The money is less of an issue in this case; after all we are only talking about 2-3 coffees (my currency of choice!) a month difference. It is more this significant increase with a very generic explanation to a long-term customer (and regular beta tester).

These comments are from the email that I sent to them:

"In addition to the increase in price, I am getting concerned about the lack of information you provide to your long-term users - and I include myself in that category. While there were things to criticise about the previous owners, they actively shared their work. I hope that the new owners change their current approach - the loyal following you have purchased deserve more than this desultory approach to communicating changes.

Unless you can provide me with a much more compelling proposition other than I get to keep using what I already have for 80% more, you have lost a long-time customer."

@PinkElephant And these are the facts as presented by Evernote. I wonder why some plans are changing so much now when others remain the same. I have asked why this is happening and if I get a response, I will share it here.

Here is the clarification from Evernote:

"Thank you for contacting Evernote Support. My name is Anna, and I'm happy to assist you today. 
I understand that you received an email that your plan's price will be increasing to 180 USD per year. With this, you want us to justify beyond the generic text included in the email you received on why you should stick with your current plan despite the increase in its price. I appreciate you taking the time to reach out to us regarding this matter and send us a copy of your billing history in advance.

To begin with, allow me to clarify the history of your payments since 2021: 

• March 16, 2021 - You paid 69.99 USD for an Annual Premium plan. For context, we removed this plan in July 2021.

• July 25, 2021 - You upgraded to Annual Professional, which is a different service level compared to the plan you purchased last March 16. Since this upgrade was made while your Annual Premium plan was ongoing, you got prorated credits (deduction on the plans' actual rates) for both of the subscription plans. 

• March 17, 2022 - Your Annual Professional plan renewed at its regular rate in the amount of 99.99 USD. 

With regard to your main concern: I may not be able to provide a more detailed context regarding the specific improvements that we're currently working on since I don't have access to the app's roadmap. Rest assured that the increase in price is for the overall improvement of the application on all of our clients (mobile, desktop, and www.evernote.com) in order to serve all of our valued customers better."

So, just to understand this clearly :) they want that you pay 180 USD per year vs 99,99 that you paid until now?

45 minutes ago, AlanH said:

Yes.

Crazy..this is big, big no, no for me. For 180 USD they should really be top notch premium service with AI and all other super cool things like graph, block referencing, backlinks Roam and Obsidian style, and so on. Crazy.

• Level 5

Anybody needs to know how much the service is worth.

One can indeed buy a lot of ToGos for 180 bucks ... although I still don't find anything even close to 180 for Professional officially. This are the prices for a yearly subscription (per month), picked from the official EN website in German a few minutes ago. I get the same prices, just without the Free option when I use my Personal account to log in, instead of a Free account credentials.

SCR-20230308-2o1.thumb.png.1f142419e3628e680e893456c9412965.png

10 hours ago, James | Headquarters said:

In summary: 

It will be interesting to see what those "other" factors include (number of notes, overall storage size...?) and how they are all calculated... that is if that info ever becomes publicly available instead of remaining hidden behind mystery curtains.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

Anybody needs to know how much the service is worth.

One can indeed buy a lot of ToGos for 180 bucks ... although I still don't find anything even close to 180 for Professional officially. This are the prices for a yearly subscription (per month), picked from the official EN website in German a few minutes ago. I get the same prices, just without the Free option when I use my Personal account to log in, instead of a Free account credentials.

SCR-20230308-2o1.thumb.png.1f142419e3628e680e893456c9412965.png

I have now monthly: CleanShot2023-03-08at03_24_47.png.10721ba70c4a0a5c45ee5849e211f0c2.png

But if i go on plan change i have:

CleanShot2023-03-08at03_26_34.thumb.png.616669ec479eba729d313ed482258189.png

So actually my monthly price is different if i would update now, it would be 1 eur more than i am paying now.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Frki2 said:

I have now monthly: CleanShot2023-03-08at03_24_47.png.10721ba70c4a0a5c45ee5849e211f0c2.png

But if i go on plan change i have:

CleanShot2023-03-08at03_26_34.thumb.png.616669ec479eba729d313ed482258189.png

So actually my monthly price is different if i would update now, it would be 1 eur more than i am paying now.

Thanks for sharing this as it is a specific example I can use to ask why my quoted increase seems SO much more than any other subscription that I can find. Hopefully, they have just made a mistake in what they are presenting to me.

10 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Well, what that means is that I'm being "grandfathered" in at last year's price, while a new Pro sub would cost $110. Would cost me at this moment, at any rate. Some people are being told they're getting soaked for US$180/year, but I'm not being told that and I have no reason to think I will be told that--but I will definitely keep checking, and report back if I hear different. This is truly--what's that charming British phrase?--a dog's breakfast.

I hope you are right. My renewal is 2 June and I will certainly be checking before that for any signs that I am going to get a big increase in price

• Level 5

My subscriptions are handled through iTunes / AppStore. For every sub I get a reminder 4 weeks before the due date, stating the renewal price.

This avoids any surprises, and creates enough lead time to take action.

15 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

having to click the green check many times

And how long do you have to wait before the note is actually closed when this happens  (in the worst case) ?

My main objection is that you cannot double the price of the fee and call it “price increase”. It is a price revolution without sound motivation. I don’t think that software development is influenced so much by the Ukrainian war or the increase in the cost of petrol. What is the sales strategy behind this choice? I will not renew my subscription.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, agsteele said:

Jolly good. What price have you been offered to renew?  As far as I can tell the typical increase is around 10%.

The typical increase for now. I still have a year till the end of my subscription. Until then, I am sure I will get notified about an increase.

• Level 5
12 hours ago, eric99 said:

And how long do you have to wait before the note is actually closed when this happens  (in the worst case) ?

Sometimes (but rarely) I've had to tap the green check a dozen or more times before it closes. Since I tend to tap faster the more annoyed I get 😁 it's hard to say exactly how much time passes. In any case, I don't think it's ever as long as a minute.

For those interested, I have had a response from Evernote that follows. Is anyone else having a plan increase in the 50% to 80% range? I'd love to know that I am not alone!

--------------------------

Geoff T. (Evernote Help and Learning)

Mar 8, 2023, 12:59 PST

Hi Alan,

My name is Geoff with the Evernote Technical Support Team, and I received this ticket from Anna regarding your billing inquiry.

Reviewing the billing history of your alan@businessvalue.consulting account, I can see that this is the first increase in base pricing for your subscription since 2018. Instead, it looks like you upgraded to Professional service shortly after the new membership level was introduced in 2021 and were billed a prorated amount toward the overall price of $99.99 (this amount was paid with your renewal last year). This year's change in pricing is directly tied to a need to continue investing in our products and in improvements to functionality. I understand this likely does little to mute your disappointment in the increase in cost, but this is the reason you are seeing the change in your membership rate.

With all of that being said, I do see that you are billed in USD rather than NZD, and that this is tied to your early upgrade to paid service when we did not accept payments in New Zealand dollars. If you'd like, I can help to move your account to billing in NZD with the same Professional rate plan. The price in NZD would be $224.99, which would be somewhat less in overall converted cost and might save you any foreign transaction fees. You would of course still have the option to cancel auto-renewal at any time.

If this option is of interest, please let me know and I'll be sure to take care of the rest.

Respectfully,

Geoff T.
Commerce Support Manager

--------------------------

The things I take from this message are:

1. Evernote believes I have not had a price increase since 2018, so I should consider this when I am thinking about the scale of the increase - first presented to me as USD180 for the Professional Plan annual subscription - an 80% increase over my current USD100 Professional Plan. They fail to take into account the increase that took place in 2021.
  2. They offer to change my currency billing to NZD224.99, which converts at today's rates to about USD150. So just by changing the currency, they have reduced the cost by USD30. I have asked why this was possible.
  3. USD150 is still a 50% increase over what I am currently paying.
  4. Evernote has not provided information on why my increase seems SO much higher than anyone else's that I can find. Is anyone else seeing a 50% increase in their costs? I would love to know why I am different!

There seems to be no „typical“ price increase. I am on „Personal“ (Germany/Euro-Zone) and was informed about an increase from 59.99 € up to 71.99 € on renewal at the end of March with annual payment. This would be 20%.

9 hours ago, AlanH said:

For those interested, I have had a response from Evernote that follows. Is anyone else having a plan increase in the 50% to 80% range? I'd love to know that I am not alone!

1. Evernote has not provided information on why my increase seems SO much higher than anyone else's that I can find. Is anyone else seeing a 50% increase in their costs? I would love to know why I am different!

You might not have seen my post above - first post so it had to be approved by a moderator. I´ve got a 47% increase on my Plus plan, so you're not alone.

2 minutes ago, Richard Thomas - ES said:

You might not have seen my post above - first post so it had to be approved by a moderator. I´ve got a 47% increase on my Plus plan, so you're not alone.

At least there are two of us!

• Evernote Expert

The Plus and grand-fathered Premium plans were increased before Bending Spoons took over. These were significant increases introduced because there hadn't increases for those plans for sometime.

• Like 2
14 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Sometimes (but rarely) I've had to tap the green check a dozen or more times before it closes. Since I tend to tap faster the more annoyed I get 😁 it's hard to say exactly how much time passes. In any case, I don't think it's ever as long as a minute.

This is what happens on mid range android phones all the time, with delays of 1 minute or more. I'm surprised that it occurs on a S22, one of the most powerful phones on the market.

The problem is not so much that syncing itself takes a long time, but that the foreground sync  blocks the entire app for minutes until the note is closed. To prevent data loss, you need to keep the app open until the note has been saved. Therefore, the android app can't be used for quick note taking anymore, the very feature that made evernote so succesfull in the begin years.

So, before increasing the price of the product, BS should first fix these fundamental race condition bugs in the mobile apps. Why should we pay for a crappy app?

• Like 3