[Troubleshooting] All notes appear as blank in Evernote

I posted above (and repasting below) but boy oh boy 10.6.9 is WORSE! Today Evernote not only did it's disappearing note trick, it completely failed on a quit and relaunch. I have the Evernote menu (File, Edit, etc) but nothing below that. Went and redownloaded and reinstalled and it's the same situation. When I have time, maybe I'll restart this machine, or play around with some plist files but I DON'T HAVE ANY TIME FOR THIS. NOT WHAT I SIGNED UP FOR! 

sorry for screaming ...  but here's a screenshot

On 1/9/2021 at 2:11 PM, coolpillows said:

I am having the same problem. I can see the notes after I quit and restore the app but reading all of these comments about people not even being able to see any of their notes and they're gone is awful. But even inexplicably not being able to see the note and having to quit and restore is ridiculous. And then having to come in here and pore over all of these comments and workarounds is a waste of time. I went into Evernote just before to do something else. Then I hit the Feedback button, filled out that form, then wander in here and spend another 10 minutes looking at comments of the same issue going back months and having to write this comment. I'll have to trace back to whatever the F I was going to do in Evernote when this started 15 minutes ago.  

I expect better as Premium subscriber and a fan of Evernote since ... well I don't want to waste any more time trying to figure out how far back I have notes but it's been many years! Evernote is better than this!

v 10.5.7 build 2171 public
Editor: v114.1.14753
Service: v1.25.2
© 2019 - 2021 Evernote Corporation. All rights reserved

Screen Shot 2021-01-26 at 1.15.52 PM.png

Does Evernote even read these posts? I've been having the same issues as everyone else here and it's been happening for a couple of months now and so has this thread. I've been using EN for many years. Also getting lots of duplicate notes that I never used to get.

So we can only assume EN is on its way out. What other products are people looking at to replace it? 

• Like 2

Same here. Outrageous this has not been fixed. It's no longer a productivity tool...lost confidence in what I have entrusted it to keep. Seems elephants do forget -  that the customer experience matters - customers expect the basics to work i.e. the app to open up with your contents on display.

• Like 2

I don't understand why Evernote are not addressing these issues - why are we as paying users expected to find workarounds for problems introduced with this crappy software.. I'm off to use Monday now as at least it works, I suggest everyone else does too

1 hour ago, lenny3200 said:

Everyone should submit a help desk ticket and say they are not renewing. I asked for a refund but they wouldn’t give me one. How do you have a notes app where you can’t read notes?!

I'm actually experimenting with Microsoft OneNote right now... I will try to get a refund myself. It's just unstable for me.  It works well for 5 hours or 1 day. Then all of a sudden, a note is no longer editable and I have to restart Evernote.

On 11/5/2020 at 10:48 AM, Shane D. said:

Hi All,

I've seen a some reports from users stating that all of their notes appear blank and wanted to provide some information that may help you manage the issue.

First, we are aware of this issue and are working to address it.

If you encounter this issue and this is the first time you've launched the app after updating, it may take some time for your notes to sync. Especially, if you have a larger account.

Additionally, please try quitting the app and restarting the app. Often, this will resolve the issue.

Also, if this is just affecting individual notes, and not all of your notes, please go here:

If this does not resolve the issue, please let me know on this thread.

I'll be follow-ing up here once I have updated information.

Thank you.

I have been having this issue - all notes are blank - on Big Sur for the last two to three months and it is still happening. Always fixes itself if I close the app and restart it, but it is a big pain to do it frequently. 

I can't believe how long this has going on.  I'm on 10.6.9 on Mac Catalina, and my notes open blank, and even after restarting Evernote, they remain blank. I've had to install a legacy version to use the app.  What a pain.  I'm a long-time paid subscriber who gets OneNote free from my employer... like the poster above me said, it's looking pretty good right now.

• Like 1

My computer restarted and all notes that had had blank thumbnails (i.e. all those I created after upgrading to the latest Evernote) were lost. Two days of writing work. Still hoping to resolve but imagine these notes are possibly lost permanently. If anyone has insight or possible fixes, desperate for them! The problem is ongoing with my Mac 2.4 Evernote.

Shane, I'm having a similar but different issue or manifestation. When I open Evernote:

10.6.9-mac-mas-public (458440)
Editor: v116.1.14913
Service: v1.26.7

Mojave 10.14.6

The main window (Notebooks) opens and is completely blank after briefly seeing the green progress wheel and will not draw. Notes open during the last shutdown open just fine. I can shutdown the blank Notebooks window but there does not seem to be an ability in the Menu to open another. I've shutdown every process that is obviously Evernote (it seems to do it just fine (automatically) on application shutdown.

After starting and shutting Evernote down multiple times it will eventually open and run ok.

Help. When I need to take a note it has to work..and quicly.

(long time user)

I have the same issue. Restarting Evernote while in the middle of a phone call is unproductive. I was trying to get my team to use Evernote and they have refused due to the stability issue. It is so disappointing because the product was good for so long.

• Like 1
On 1/27/2021 at 2:08 AM, Domani said:

Does Evernote even read these posts? I've been having the same issues as everyone else here and it's been happening for a couple of months now and so has this thread. I've been using EN for many years. Also getting lots of duplicate notes that I never used to get.

So we can only assume EN is on its way out. What other products are people looking at to replace it? 

I just looked through the posts thus far and the vast majority of those citing the issue here come from paid subscribers... It definitely doesn't feel like a priority looking at the small number of staff replies and delays in fixing the issue.

I received this response from support. If it works, I have no idea why they didn't post it here. Please try it:

Thanks for reporting this problem. We have recently fixed this issue. To ensure the fix takes place on your side, please follow these steps:

Quit Evernote, then:

1. Open Finder
  2. From the menu bar select Go > Go To Folder...
  3. Paste ~/Library/Application Support/ and press Go. If you don't find this directory, try ~/Library/Containers/com.evernote.Evernote/Data/Library/Application Support/ and press Go.
  4. Delete the folder Evernote.
  5. Go to Evernote.com/download and download and install the latest version of Evernote
  6. Launch Evernote and sign in.
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, lenny3200 said:

I received this response from support. If it works, I have no idea why they didn't post it here. Please try it:

Thanks for reporting this problem. We have recently fixed this issue. To ensure the fix takes place on your side, please follow these steps:

Quit Evernote, then:

1. Open Finder
  2. ...
  3. Launch Evernote and sign in.

Thanks for this @lenny3200, I've given it a shot and it did at least open correctly the first time.  Hopefully the fix sticks.  Thanks for taking the time to post back for everyone else's benefit.

• Level 5

Hi All,

We believe updating to our most recent release, Version 10.7 will help to fix this issue.

If you haven't updated already, you can learn more here:
https://discussion.evernote.com/announcement/173-update-evernote-for-mac-and-windows-107-is-here/

Please let us know if you continue to encounter this issue after updating to Version 10.7.

On 2/1/2021 at 10:16 AM, lenny3200 said:

Quit Evernote, then:

1. Open Finder
  3. Paste ~/Library/Application Support/ and press Go. If you don't find this directory, try ~/Library/Containers/com.evernote.Evernote/Data/Library/Application Support/ and press Go.
  5. Go to Evernote.com/download and download and install the latest version of Evernote

I have the blank note problem.  I'm not a techy so I'm wasting MUCH more time with Evernote's self-destruction plan than I would like.  Could someone explain simply what "Finder" is?  Thanks Lenny for posting: I need "Lenny's plan for dummies".  I'm actually freaking out.  Knowing that it happened to others offers some comfort.  Knowing that there's a solution offers more.  Once I find my notes back, I'll be looking for a way to export them to something else and be done with this.

Back on November 5th, there are notes on the topic.  Here it is February 3rd.  Still nothing.  I am on the latest Mac OS, latest Evernote.

3 months to solve what I consider a major bug.  Come on, please !!!

So, I completely uninstalled EN (incl Legacy) using CleanMyMac X, ran a 'smart scan' with CleanMyMac X to make sure there were not any left over niggly files. Re-Booted my Laptop, then re-download EN from the website. Fingers crossed, it seems to be running Ok now - have been running it for 4 days with no hic-ups. All notes displaying correctly and quickly. The only problem now is that I cannot right click to save files to EN as I got rid of Legacy, but I email the files to myself and that seems to be just as efficient anyway, but this feature is not available in Basic (and a separate issue to this thread). 

I will repost an update if I run into any further problems, but for now, seems Ok.

On 2/1/2021 at 10:16 AM, lenny3200 said:

Quit Evernote, then:

1. Open Finder

I haven't seen the problem in about a week now - I believe these steps fixed the issue for me, and I suspect deleting the Evernote 'Application Support' folder may be the key in my case.

Happening to me constantly too. It's gotten to the point where when I want to take notes, I don't even want to reach for Evernote. I can just assume, especially if I haven't just used the program, that will be unresponsive until restarted.

Before restarting:

1918628071_ScreenShot2021-02-08at8_42_15AM.thumb.png.8b352d2e044feb66f4496dce70d70e56.png

After restarting:

753435172_ScreenShot2021-02-08at8_43_03AM.thumb.png.d58c00e5003bcdde30bc6c8f069096f3.png

On 2/1/2021 at 8:16 AM, lenny3200 said:

Quit Evernote, then:

1. Open Finder

Tried the above last week, problem went away until today... and now back... definitely it remains a bug in the current version (10.76-mac). This time at least it was fixed by a simple close and reopen of Evernote, but the annoyance remains.

Should help?  you've had months to fix these issues and should have rolled back to a stable version of Evernote.. Sorry, but you've already lost my business as it's clear you don't actually know what's wrong with the software.. My business can't run on something that 'should' be resolved so we've had to find an alternative.  You should be offering full refunds to people like us who have lost countless business hours on this product.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Metrodon said:

Still happening....

Yes, same here, on two different MacOS computers, one with Big Sur and one with Catalina. I followed the 10.8.4 update instructions to the letter (deleting Library files, clean install). Funny thing is that this morning when I looked at the About dialog to confirm I had the right version, it was, you guessed it, blank. 

Exiting and re-starting the app works (for a while). 

I'm up there above in one of the comments on this thread but I'll update with a new bug that may be the result of the latest version (which I guess attempted to fix the problem but didn't quite). I will come back to Evernote and there will only a single Note open, the rest of the window and UI is gone. There's no way to get it back, there are no other windows available, hidden or otherwise. Perhaps this is triggered by opening a Note in a separate window, which I do now and then. Regardless, this is NOT the way Evernote works or any app for that matter. The parent window for an app should always be available somehow. So, yeah, still broken. Not the same way, but broken. 

Every time after updated, this issue reoccurred. Why is this not resolved after so long? Evernote is going downward, the product management team doesn't focus on solving crucial issues. Been a loyal user for almost a decade, I'm in the midst of migrating to other app.

And here's yet another annoyance and bug ... further evidence of this awful user experience with what I thought was pretty good software up to now. Every time I get the update new version release popup ... it is BLANK!! In the screenshot below it's that blank little popup that says "Evernote" withi nothing in it. At least, that's what I think should be in there. I have seen this screen popup with the announcement of a new release and options update or not. Of course, who knows what that screen is for?!?!

C'mon people. I'm seriously spending time with Notion and this is the kind of failure on development that happens when you lose business and it sends appreciative customers running for something similar. As a paying customer this should be prioritized or we'll walk! (notes and sensitive data has been intentionally removed in the screenshot)

evernote.png

Edited by coolpillows
explaining the screenshot

I have also been a long time paid Everhote user and am surprised this hasn't been fixed.  The good news is that you can still access all your notes on the web version, which is quite robust.  I will continue to use the web version until I see the desktop version is fixed.  Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if Evernote abandons the desktop version altogether.  Seems everyone is going that way.

On 2/11/2021 at 4:44 PM, Shane D. said:

Hi All,

Thank you for letting me know.

We've added another set of improvements that should help to resolve this issue in our most recent release, version 10.8.

If you haven't already, please update to this version, and let me know if the blank notes issues continues.

The blank notes issue continues to happen for me.

I have Evernote version 10.8.5 for Mac and I just experienced this again today.

I am having the same issue on 10.8.6 (blank notes, blank About window).

After restart, I could see the About window and confirm that I am running 10.8.6.

I then went to the Evernote website to make sure that was the most recent version... and discovered that the download version on the website is 10.8.5.

Is this a quiet admission by Evernote that 10.8.6 is so broken that new users are being encouraged to download 10.8.5....?!!

What on earth is going on, and why are we not receiving clear, transparent communications about it in this forum?

Like many users, I am exploring a shift to alternative options. It will be a pain to port my info, but what is the point of efficiency software if it makes me less efficient...?

On 2/4/2021 at 5:00 PM, Gwyn Parsons said:

So, I completely uninstalled EN (incl Legacy) using CleanMyMac X, ran a 'smart scan' with CleanMyMac X to make sure there were not any left over niggly files. Re-Booted my Laptop, then re-download EN from the website. Fingers crossed, it seems to be running Ok now - have been running it for 4 days with no hic-ups. All notes displaying correctly and quickly. The only problem now is that I cannot right click to save files to EN as I got rid of Legacy, but I email the files to myself and that seems to be just as efficient anyway, but this feature is not available in Basic (and a separate issue to this thread). 

I will repost an update if I run into any further problems, but for now, seems Ok.

I said I would post an update if I ran into any problems - well, I haven't, but I thought I'd let you all know that anyway. I've been running this now since 4th Feb and its now 2nd March - Still running Ok. I am still running on Mojave 10.14.6  - don't know if that makes any difference. I am getting a new Laptop in a few weeks time which will run on Big Sur - will be interesting to see if I start to get problems again. Till then, fingers crossed.

Please help. I have macOS Cataline (Version 10.15.7) and Evernote 10.8.6.

I've lost all my notes since 2012, including passwords and important memoirs 😭. Can't find it in web version too.

What can I do?

I have a Mac and the version is 10.8.5 and the blank note issue STILL exists (March 7, 2021) It's extremely frustrating. How is it this has gone on for months and hasn't been fixed. Like others, I've been using Evernote for 10 years (this year) and this is an issue that needs to be a priority.

On 3/1/2021 at 12:23 AM, jgivoni said:

The blank notes issue continues to happen for me.

I have Evernote version 10.8.5 for Mac and I just experienced this again today.

Me, too and it's March 7.

wow ... i just realized my earliest Evernote goes back to March 13, 2011 ... I started paying a year after that. Seriously ... this warrants a refund. $7.99 / month x however many months this has been going on. 

• Like 1

I have seen this problem (can search and see thumbnails but edit screen is blank) again today. version:

10.8.6-mac-mas-public (458469)
Editor: v118.1.15148
Service: v1.28.5

Interesting note:  The Bout Evernote box was blank too.  Came up but nothing there.

Quitting and reloading EN made text visibile in edit screen and About box.

Font in About box after reloading is very light and hard to read.  Is this related to the issue? Is the text there but color the same as the background?  (Well, the elephant logo wasn't there either and that was very visible after reload.). Still, the version info is almost impossible to read.  See attached.

About Evernote 2021-03-08 11-13-03.jpg

Issue persists with 10.8.6 for me as well, running on macOS Catalina. Restarting evernote fixes the issue.

10.8.6-mac-mas-public (458469)
Editor: v118.1.15148
Service: v1.28.5

I have this problem.  Been having it for months.  Really frustrating and annoyed that none of the updates have fixed it.  Finally turned to the forum.  Running 10.8.6 on mac. Whenever evernote has been open for a couple days, I can no longer view any notes.  I see the thumbnails but I can't view or edit a note.  Quitting evernote and restarting always fixes it....for a couple days.  So basically have to restart evernote every time I want to use it !!!!

It's still happening on my MacBook Pro running Catalina. My Evernote version is 10.8.6. 

Quitting and restarting seems to work.  Just as an FYI, before restarting, when I tried to review the latest release notes, that popover was blank, too.

I know you're working on this - thanks for all you do!

• Level 5

Even when we surround ourselves with "always on" gadgets, it is no good practise to simply let our devices run. Environmentally it sucks - estimates are that there are several large power plants in the world just running to provide the energy for standby devices. And it does not help a computer to perform better. Shutting down from time to time makes for better performance.

A Mac should be send to sleep mode when it is not used for the next hours. Apps will close, and can be set to reopen automatically if required.

I'm on version 10.9.10 on a Mac with Big Sur and it still happens. If I leave Evernote idle for a while, when I go to it again everynote is blank. When will we have a final fix for this? It is a big turn off having to restart evernote and loose the context of my work...

• 3 weeks later...

This is still happening (maddeningly) on my Mac. It makes info retrieval a many-step process - do a search, encounter blank note, restart the program, re-enter the search info...... very curious if the long length of this major a glitch is because devs don't care, product is being discontinued, or ?

Wouldn't it be better to return to a stable earlier version than this mess?

This is terribly annoying and has gone on for months!

Anyone have a suggestion of another product that can import my vast evernote data?

This seems like a sinking ship! Unbelievable that they can't get basic functionality right after so much time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

NOT fixed :(

Mac version:

10.12.6-mac-ddl-public (2583)
Editor: v122.1.15818
Service: v1.33.8

I like to keep Evernote open - usually in the background (Cmd-H).  If I leave Evernote open for too long (time varies), I get the empty window syndrome and occasionally this message: "Window not responding" with button choices "Keep waiting" and "Relaunch."

Bummer

• Like 1
On 5/6/2021 at 8:18 AM, AndyOfLinux said:

NOT fixed :(

Mac version:

10.12.6-mac-ddl-public (2583)
Editor: v122.1.15818
Service: v1.33.8

I like to keep Evernote open - usually in the background (Cmd-H).  If I leave Evernote open for too long (time varies), I get the empty window syndrome and occasionally this message: "Window not responding" with button choices "Keep waiting" and "Relaunch."

Bummer

Same here. Tired of the constant issues. Looking into exporting to Apple Notes. 

Still getting the "white screen of death" every time I return to Evernote Mac after a day or two away.  I can fix this with an app restart, but what a nuisance.  I'm a premium member since 2011, and I loved Evernote up until version 10.x.  Now I'm constantly disappointed and looking elsewhere.

10.13.4-mac-ddl-public (2607)
Editor: v123.0.15939
Service: v1.34.4

MacOS Big Sur 11.2.3 (20D91)
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • Level 5

EN is always syncing. Probably it gets into an ill defined state somehow when the computer is shutting down itself because it is not used.

I know with modern OS There should not be the necessity to shut down a computer end of the day. But it helps to quit EN before leaving.

On 3/2/2021 at 11:42 AM, Gwyn Parsons said:

I said I would post an update if I ran into any problems - well, I haven't, but I thought I'd let you all know that anyway. I've been running this now since 4th Feb and its now 2nd March - Still running Ok. I am still running on Mojave 10.14.6  - don't know if that makes any difference. I am getting a new Laptop in a few weeks time which will run on Big Sur - will be interesting to see if I start to get problems again. Till then, fingers crossed.

Orig Post

764170334_ScreenShot2021-06-25at9_40_29am.thumb.jpg.b78e2d5d80c25ae9fc91c5d5b09aada6.jpg

Well, have been running on my new laptop for a few months now and still no problems, even leaving it running days at at time. I do shut it down periodically anyway as I believe that is a good practice to do. So it strikes me the best way to solve this issue (and it is only my opinion) is to completely (and cleanly) uninstall EN, reboot your laptop, then reinstall from the website. Just relying on updates does not seem to be the way. Am currently running EN version 10.16.7-mac-ddl-public (2732)

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Good advise !

To run a full uninstall, the best way AFAIK is to use an uninstaller. There is REVO uninstaller for Windows, AppCleaner for Mac. In both cases make sure you select all components to be uninstalled, not only the program files. It should not be necessary, but does no harm as well to restart the computer before reinstalling.

For the reinstall I always advise to use the version from the EN web site, not the versions from the Stores. The stores version is the same, but it executes differently (on a Mac it is sandboxed), which can lead to problems.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

Hello this still happens to me in mac OS Ventura in 2023.

I do see the list of notes, but clicking on any note shows a blank content. Wait 15 seconds, then it shows the content. Especially for old notes.

Please fix this very frustrating issue: a note taking app should show the notes.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 6/3/2023 at 2:54 AM, zaszrespawned said:

Hello this still happens to me in mac OS Ventura in 2023.

I do see the list of notes, but clicking on any note shows a blank content. Wait 15 seconds, then it shows the content. Especially for old notes.

Please fix this very frustrating issue: a note taking app should show the notes.

I'm having the same issue.  It seemed to have started with the first release from Bending Spoons.  Very annoying and seriously kills my productivity.  They up the price and decrease the quality.  Nice. 

• Level 5*

This is the result of a change to the new sync method.  Older notes, when first accessed, are converted to a new format.  This should only be a one time delay.  Once converted should load as normal.  If you haven’t yet, update to the latest version from the website.  This has been improved in the latest releases.

Thanks for clearing that up... on my M1 Macbook Pro 16" it takes like 10 seconds, on an older 2019 16" Intel i7 it takes up to like 30 seconds, it's so annoying. Why don't they convert all notes just in the background when they change something like syncing. This is so bad for the user experience.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, MediaBuilders said:

Why don't they convert all notes just in the background when they change something like syncing.

You’re not the first to wonder and suggest that 🙂.  I suspect it was done to ease the burden on the backend, but I agree, there must be a more user friendly way to manage this transition.

Why don't they convert the format of all the notes in the background?  Check out the recent interview that Vlad Campos did with Federico from Bending Spoons.  Vlad asked and Federico had what I thought was a rational answer -- although I don't remember what it was, duh.  The interview is on Youtube:

• Level 5

From what I see, it is mainly a question of the workload to the servers. Each account runs in its own little environment, butyl physically several accounts run on the same machine. This means it would be not enough to stop such an indexing process when the account is approached by the user, to bring the reaction time back to normal. It would mean to stop indexing on all a counts hosted together.

That they don’t convert it locally on the users machines may have to do with the resulting network traffic. If there would be a batch process running on a users device, it would create a fresh upload for every note converted.

So probably it is explainable why the conversion is done „on demand“. But still it then should happen much faster, and without a risk to us users data.

• 3 weeks later...

It has been several days that in my Note List View, all my images have disappeared.  I have a IMac desktop IOS Catalina10.15.7 with Evernote Note Plus version 10.58.8 and a subscriber since 2012.  I checked my account on the Web version and on my iPhone and iPad and the images are there in the Note List View.  How do I fix this issue on my Desktop. I almost have 4000 notes, I do not want to lose any of my data and would prefer not to migrate all my files either into MS One Note or Apple Notes.  PLEASE assist me with rectifying this issue as soon as possible. Thank you

Screen Shot 2023-07-11 at 11.43.50 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-07-11 at 11.58.34 PM.png