Looking For An Evernote Alternative .. Probably found the closest option

• Level 5*

From Users?!!...no from Evernote ticketeers. After all was done, Not once was there a 'hey sorry bout the lost notes and misplaced notes'....sounds petty now actually , but at the time it exacerbated the frustration.

I see. It seems that I misunderstood your original post.

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone tried Centrallo yet?  I have been using it for 6 months on my iPad and just installed their Android version.  Let's me keep notes, organize them, share, etc.  Free and definitely worth checking out.  I may not go back to EN.  www.centrallo.com

Howdy, Roberta:

Appreciate the share. I'm going to take a closer look at Centrallo myself.

The biggest negative I currently see is: Centralla's premium limited storage is a total of 1 GB... vs. EN’s 1 GB / mo. (I would assume 1 GB is not practical for many power users.)

#52Tech Week 27– Centrallo

http://hunterswritings.com/2014/07/04/52tech-week-27-centrallo/

Looking for an Evernote alternative? Centrallo might be what you’re looking for

http://markcarrigan.net/2014/05/12/looking-for-an-evernote-alternative/

Centrallo – A New Productivity Tool

http://takisathanassiou.com/centrallo/

Organize your life with Centrallo

http://www.androidguys.com/2014/09/19/organize-life-centrallo/

Centrallo

http://hypi.st/centrallo/

Best 10 Android Apps This Week

http://techpp.com/2014/09/29/best-android-apps-hangouts-dialer-scramble-with-friends-centrallo/

Centrallo

http://www.crunchbase.com/organization/centrallo

Centrallo - your life, centralized

http://www.techwallah.net/stories/centrallo

Centrallo app review (Sponsored)

http://www.phonedog.com/2014/05/21/centrallo-app-review-sponsored/

Hope this proves helpful.

Alan

• Level 5*

it doesn't appeal to me with my use case, but i could see how some workflows might benefit from the app, though evernote still seems the superior option in pricing and features.

be careful out there. where is your data stored? how is it stored at rest (encrypted or not)? who at the company has access to it? how is it transmitted? and, from their terms of service:

"The Service is currently in a user-testing phase (the “Beta Version”). The Beta Version may be changed prior to general availability without notice, and we do not guarantee that compatibility of the Beta Version can or shall be maintained with subsequent versions of the Beta Version or the commercial production version of the Service that may become generally available. We reserve the right to withdraw any Beta Version and never release the commercial production version of the Service. "

• Like 3

I'm working on an alternative system. If you'd like to be a beta tester visit http://lotsofjots.com. Click on the Create an account link and request an invitation code.

Some of the things that make it unique from Evernote are: 1) Nested pages, 2) Reuse content on multiple pages, 3) Integrated drawing, 4) Integrated date-based journaling, 5) Split-pane viewing/editing.

If you ever have an opening for a German speaking tech support, let me know.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5*

Wow!  This thread is now up to 11 pages!!!  Undoubtedly lots of interest.

I'd like to add IntelliNote to the Evernote alternative list.

It is focused on teams, but I think it could work with individuals with lots of interests, families, and home-based businesses as well.  It is FREE for up to 5 users.

Basically, it provides the note-taking feature of Evernote, and adds to that tasks (with real Due Dates), Discussions, Projects, and Workspaces.  They provide a rich web-based app (no Win or Mac desktop apps), as well as mobile apps.

The most significant downside I see is that the Free version is limited to 2GB total (no upload allowance), and the paid version ($10/mo) is limited to 5GB total.  So this is NOT a system that you would want to store a lot of large documents.  I can imagine a combination of IntelliNote and Dropbox might work very well.

Have any of you used IntelliNote?  If so, please share your experience.

Here's a summary from a 3rd party:

Overview of Intellinote

Intellinote is a Team Productivity Platform that's used by growing mid-sized companies, small businesses and Fortune 500 enterprises to capture information, collaborate and complete work easily and quickly.

Intellinote eliminates barriers to productivity, helps teams collaborate towards results, enables easy sharing of knowledge and expertise, and drives employee engagement. 

Intellinote has been designed to work the way real teams work and collaborate with each other. 

Read full description of Intellinote ↓

Key Features of Intellinote
  • Enterprise Collaboration
  • Contextual Sharing
  • Task Management
  • Notes
  • Group Discussions
  • Attachments (All Types)
  • Workspace-based Organization
  • Tag-based Organization
  • In-App & Email Notifications
  • Workspace Activity Log
  • Unified Workspace View
  • Role-Based Access, Views
  • iOS Apps (iPad & iPhone)
  • Android Apps (Tablets + SmartPhones)
  • Cross-device Syncing
  • Offline Access in Mobile Apps
  • Cloud-based, No IT Needed
  • Enterprise-grade Security
  • Email to Intellinote Integration
  • Google Docs and Drive Integration

• Level 5*

Wow!  This thread is now up to 11 pages!!!  Undoubtedly lots of interest.

I'd like to add IntelliNote to the Evernote alternative list.

I would recommend caution. Besides the various issues I see with the service itself, which doesn't appeal to me for my use case, their policies concerning your data should raise some eyebrows. Be careful out there.

https://www.intellinote.net/privacy/

"Intellinote may also employ other technologies including (i) web beacons, which allow us to know if a certain page was visited or whether an e-mail was opened; (ii) tracking pixels, which allow us to advertise more efficiently by excluding our current users from certain promotional messages or identifying the source of a new installation; (iii) local shared objects also known as flash cookies, which help us to prevent fraud."

"We may transfer information that we collect about you, including personally identifiable information, to affiliated entities or third parties (as provided herein). Such transfer of information may be across borders from one jurisdiction or country to other jurisdictions and countries. Please be advised that you are transferring information, including personal information, to a country or jurisdiction that does not have the same data protection as your jurisdiction, and you hereby consent to the transfer of the information to the United States and the use and disclosure of information about you, including personal information."

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Wow!  Thanks GM for bringing the privacy issues of IntelliNote to our attention.  I had no idea...

It seems incredibly hard today for normal users to find an online source that is trustworthy.

It is truly a buyer's beware environment.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Wow!  Thanks GM for bringing the privacy issues of IntelliNote to our attention.  I had no idea...

It seems incredibly hard today for normal users to find an online source that is trustworthy.

It is truly a buyer's beware environment.

You're welcome. You know how I am about security, so the first thing I look at with a company is its privacy policy. If that checks out, I move onto the terms of service. To be honest, there are only a handful of information management / notetaking solutions out there that I'd even consider putting information into, because it is such a rare company that will come out and say that protecting the privacy / security of its customers is a priority.

Evernote could be better (I've posted my thoughts before, so I won't rehash them here), but I do think they make a good faith effort to protect our privacy / security.

https://evernote.com/legal/privacy.php

Longtime users will be familiar with the three "laws" Phil outlined a few years ago. How many companies are willing to spell out their position like this? Not as many as you might think.

http://blog.evernote.com/blog/2014/06/03/evernotes-three-laws-data-protection-update/

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

This is an old thread but another product to add to the mix is InfoQube.

Cons:

• PC only (can run on a USB stick if desired), no cloud option, no mobile option.  I think I might have read about some users using DropBox to keep it synced across PC's but not sure.
  • No real tagging system.
  • The steepest learning curve of any PIM/information manager you've ever used.  This is a product for power users that are willing to spend some time learning.  The online help is outstanding though.  If EN is the triumph of form over function (which is what it is starting to become), IQ is the triumph of function over form.
  • UI is not pretty and navigating between "grids" could use improvement if you have lots of them (closest EN equivalent is a notebook).

Pros:

• A power users delight, it makes EN (and OneNote) look like a toy in comparison.  With the exception of the limitations described above, it's power is amazing, and it can handle everything in your life, information (i.e. as EN does) PLUS outlining, projects, tasks, full calendar as well.  Even though I've listed 4 cons there are really too many features and too much power to even go into, and it's so customizable it is amazing.  So for Pros I'm not going to try to list a bunch if them.

If the above description of cons doesn't scare you away, you can download a free version with sample data at their website.  They also have a small but active user forum where dedicated users will answer questions.

It's rare to read good software reviews anymore, but this one from PC World is actually a very good one for anyone that wants to read more about it.

• Like 2

This is an old thread but another product to add to the mix is InfoQube.

Cons:

• PC only (can run on a USB stick if desired), no cloud option, no mobile option.  I think I might have read about some users using DropBox to keep it synced across PC's but not sure.
  • No real tagging system.
  • The steepest learning curve of any PIM/information manager you've ever used.  This is a product for power users that are willing to spend some time learning.  The online help is outstanding though.  If EN is the triumph of form over function (which is what it is starting to become), IQ is the triumph of function over form.
  • UI is not pretty and navigating between "grids" could use improvement if you have lots of them (closest EN equivalent is a notebook).

Pros:

• A power users delight, it makes EN (and OneNote) look like a toy in comparison.  With the exception of the limitations described above, it's power is amazing, and it can handle everything in your life, information (i.e. as EN does) PLUS outlining, projects, tasks, full calendar as well.  Even though I've listed 4 cons there are really too many features and too much power to even go into, and it's so customizable it is amazing.  So for Pros I'm not going to try to list a bunch if them.

If the above description of cons doesn't scare you away, you can download a free version with sample data at their website.  They also have a small but active user forum where dedicated users will answer questions.

It's rare to read good software reviews anymore, but this one from PC World is actually a very good one for anyone that wants to read more about it.

Howdy, ZZZ:

Appreciate the scoop on InfoCube.

I did read the article... sounds like IC is a potential diamond in the ruff... however I did not see any description concerning cloud backup and cross platform viability (comparable to EN).

Having formerly been a software applications evaluator and beta tester... and now just a full time power user of EN... don't have time for applications in their primordial stages... EN has enough potential user risks of its own without being distracted... no distractions from business unless highly justifiable based with immediate potential advantages and functional payoffs... again as far as my own business needs are concerned... interesting but no cigar.  ;)

Appreciate,

Alan

• Like 1

Hi Alan,

I addressed the lack of cloud functionality in the cons section of my post.

As far as it being in the "primordial stage", it is anything but. The software has been available for over five years with an endless series enhancements. It is rough mainly in the sense that the gui is not pretty and can get a bit busy, but that's not the most important requirement for many users, especially power users which is what this threads about. Not trying to convince you are anyone else to use it, but want to characterize it as accurately as possible.

• Like 1

Hi Alan,

I addressed the lack of cloud functionality in the cons section of my post.

As far as it being in the "primordial stage", it is anything but. The software has been available for over five years with an endless series enhancements. It is rough mainly in the sense that the gui is not pretty and can get a bit busy, but that's not the most important requirement for many users, especially power users which is what this threads about. Not trying to convince you are anyone else to use it, but want to characterize it as accurately as possible.

Howdy, Cal:

Appreciate your response.

InfoCube sounds like another another Text DB (PIM) that I used for years called TreeDB... which also offers many excellent qualities.

However for my purposes in business now, I receive enormous value via EN's CLOUD portability capabilities... which portability has proven indispensible.

Appreciate the referral to InfoCube.

~ Alan

OneNote and EverNote are good professional things to have BUT for those of you who are more focused on working with a desktop environment you might take a look at FileOne the email client, note taking organizer. If you google for FileOne organizer you will find its website and a youtube introduction. FileOne is centered around the desktop and is not a real cloud aware app.

There you may find that FileOne organizer with calendar support, is more powerfull and easier to use in a desktop environment. You use a treeview to access and structure all data in it and you can use it as a file storage engine. It can store and play music tracks, online radio stations, movies, images, photes, office files and it allows you to hyperlink anything to anything inside FileOne. All data is stored in a single file that is designed to hold huge amounts/gigabytes of data as well as tiny amounts of data. For small businesses or self employed there is even an invoice generator. 

Since all data is stored as in a single file, you can use FileOne as a rich distributable documentation vehicle to Windows and Linux users since FileOne runs in Windows and Linux (Gnome, KDE type of desktops).

Maybe a possible alternative for EverNote (or OneNote)?
  • Level 5*

Thanks for the tip - certainly looks interesting,  though I'm a little worried that this app apparently does everything short of serving a hot beveridge.  It handles all emails,  so I'd need to do a bit of a conversion from Outlook mail and calendar as well as Evernote...  I wasn't clear whether the payment quoted (which varies by the number of email addresses handled,  which only goes up to three) was a one-off or an annual sub.  I emailed the site so I'll let you know if I get a response..

Had a very quick look at fileone, but a few things bother me.

I think it looks very amateurish and new. 

It appears to me that Regatzo works for the company or maybe is the company. I believe he/she should have stated that in the post.

For me, I need to use Outlook as it is my main means of contact. 

Be good to see if it continues to get developed.

Best regards

Chris

• Like 2
  • Level 5*

yeah. a single employee. an app a few days old. no mac or mobile version. and, it is unclear how it would handle a lot of data in its single database. as a "power user" i don't see the allure of this over evernote. and, as chris said, the poster should have mentioned that they were the developer, if that is the case. always good to see developers out there working hard to bring us great software, but this is a pretty demanding space with stiff competition, and something that promises to do everything is probably too good to be true.

• Like 3

OneNote and EverNote are good professional things to have BUT for those of you who are more focused on working with a desktop environment you might take a look at FileOne the email client, note taking organizer. If you google for FileOne organizer you will find its website and a youtube introduction. FileOne is centered around the desktop and is not a real cloud aware app.

There you may find that FileOne organizer with calendar support, is more powerfull and easier to use in a desktop environment. You use a treeview to access and structure all data in it and you can use it as a file storage engine. It can store and play music tracks, online radio stations, movies, images, photes, office files and it allows you to hyperlink anything to anything inside FileOne. All data is stored in a single file that is designed to hold huge amounts/gigabytes of data as well as tiny amounts of data. For small businesses or self employed there is even an invoice generator.

Since all data is stored as in a single file, you can use FileOne as a rich distributable documentation vehicle to Windows and Linux users since FileOne runs in Windows and Linux (Gnome, KDE type of desktops).

Maybe a possible alternative for EverNote (or OneNote)?

In addition to the points brought up by subsequent posts, I would add that probably a majority of Evernote users are not limiting their use to a single Windows computer and not interested in making distributables. (Duh). I'm sure there may be a few...but in general, not so much. Which was the initial allure of Evernote and now Onenote with Onecloud.

And to reiterate, developers are welcomed warmly on the board...so long as they are clear about their involvement with the app. But those who pose as "satisfied customers"... Not so much. So if Regatzo is (the sole) employee/dev of the app he/she is promoting, he/she would be wise to own this.

Dear members the lady is smart  ;-)  

I work a lot next to him, a lot with him (in a field not even IT related), but I'm not the developer......... and no I'm not a programmer but indeed I'm a fan of his work.

I'm also one of the early testers and users of FileOne...... still using it ..... with a single file that gets bigger and bigger..... without any problems ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Frank,

That's a surprise! There's nothing harmful in it though - what you get will look exactly like the screenshot.

Here's some more info about me:

My github page is at: https://github.com/jusu

In the past I've made (among other things) a remote controller for iOS for use with Max/MSP or Pure Data (called Fantastick), some generic helpers for use with Cinema4D and software for computer assisted Juggling. My other things are at http://pinktwins.com with more music, art, apps etc etc etc. This is not to advertise but to let you know that I'm doing a tool, for fun, in good faith that it might be of use to someone else here as well.

(btw. the exe doesn't install anything, it needs a JRE and should just launch the app if you have one. -- EDIT: it does launch a webpage to download JRE from Oracle if your machine doesn't have one.)

Best,

j

• Like 1

Windows tells me that elephant.exe is a suspicious file at download

I'm not saying it's NOT a bad file.  But IME, Windows stating a file is "suspicious" doesn't necessarily mean the file is bad.  It just means Windows doesn't know about this file.  I remember this was discussed on the board previously regarding some other third party software. Let's say I write a Windows app that is virus/malware free, but is only downloaded by a (relatively) small portion of Windows users, Windows may not know that it is an ok file & simply reports it as "suspicious". It is then up to the user to do their due diligence (which is what you are doing) an decide to go ahead & download or not. In the case I mentioned above, the developer was a well respected member of the Evernote message board & so we all knew it was ok to download.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

interesting. i'll take a look when i have some time. based on the interface image, i'd say that on the mac it isn't the interface we know. it is actually better with the smaller toolbar and search field available. closing the toolbar on mac hides the search field in evernote, which means i can never close the thing. good job :)

i am guessing it isn't plain text based. it is plain files and folders. smart. evernote stores everything this way as well, but it is not easy to navigate. does elephant index notes for quick searching?

in the end, though, how is this any different than using evernote with just local notebooks? i suppose i don't have the chat button, but i never press it anyhow, so not a huge change. just wondering. i haven't tried it, yet, so i can't say much more.

in the end, though, how is this any different than using evernote with just local notebooks?

When the features that are still missing are there, not much! Except being file/folder-based. And I intend to open source it, so anyone can have full control over their data and the tool, sans third parties.

Also, EN5 is not any worse than before, still a great app, but I almost expect them to retrof*** it up somehow - by disabling sync, forcing an update, something. I'm eventually moving my stuff away and it has to be something that doesn't change on a whim or thru baffling business visions.

• Like 2

in the end, though, how is this any different than using evernote with just local notebooks?

When the features that are still missing are there, not much! Except being file/folder-based. And I intend to open source it, so anyone can have full control over their data and the tool, sans third parties.

Also, EN5 is not any worse than before, still a great app, but I almost expect them to retrof*** it up somehow - by disabling sync, forcing an update, something. I'm eventually moving my stuff away and it has to be something that doesn't change on a whim or thru baffling business visions.

jusu - well said... to the point.

• Level 5*

actually, evernote does require one initial sync for the app. this has been a problem for folks in the past, and it is something i wish they would not do. your app would avoid this.

open source is cool, and it could result in some interesting improvements. one obvious one would be nested notebooks, which evernote cannot do. another would be limits: no more note size limits and no more notebook limits would be liberating for many folks. you promised no new stuff, but maybe someone will fork it to do these things.

i am also sensitive to changes that don't make sense, especially unnanounced ones, and an app like yours would protect against such things. anyhow, i appreciate the initiative. this might be a stupid question, but even open source, is there a potential legal problem with making something look and act like evernote?

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

@GrumpyMonkey: Well, it doesn't look like EN anymore.

(Edit: please use the comment box on the mentioned site if inclined to avoid bloating this thread..)

The screenshot looked exactly like Evernote, though. And, you even said it looked like Evernote. I don't understand. But, it's OK. I 'm just asking about the legal stuff. I really don't know anything about how the law applies to derivate open source works, so it was more out of curiosity than anything else. 

• Level 5*

Well given that Evernote have decided that the kind of design that has been (re)used here is no longer "right", I think it would be rather churlish of them to go after Jusu. 

Any thoughts on building an iOS app? :)

• Like 1

>> @GrumpyMonkey: in the end, though, how is this any different than using evernote with just local notebooks?

> When the features that are still missing are there, not much! Except being file/folder-based. And [...]

I'm making excuses to justify the app.. truth is this project is just fun to make. There's now V4 with some tags etc. (No tag view yet, though) Search is now optimized for at least 10,000 notes. Cheers!

• Like 2

it doesn't appeal to me with my use case, but i could see how some workflows might benefit from the app, though evernote still seems the superior option in pricing and features.

be careful out there. where is your data stored? how is it stored at rest (encrypted or not)? who at the company has access to it? how is it transmitted? and, from their terms of service:

"The Service is currently in a user-testing phase (the “Beta Version”). The Beta Version may be changed prior to general availability without notice, and we do not guarantee that compatibility of the Beta Version can or shall be maintained with subsequent versions of the Beta Version or the commercial production version of the Service that may become generally available. We reserve the right to withdraw any Beta Version and never release the commercial production version of the Service. "

All beta version language was removed from Centrallo a few months ago as they have officially launched - http://www.prweb.com/releases/Centrallo/Launch/prweb12365917.htm.   They are working on an encrypted data version for premium users and I highly recommend that you try the app - www.centrallo.com.  Below, here is a privacy and data security statement from their CEO:

Centrallo Security & Data Privacy

Centrallo is 100% cloud based.

We utilize the following companies and processes:

For cloud security and scalability, we depend on trusted third parties such as AWS and DigitalOcean;

For data and communication encryption, we use AES, TLS, SSL and other technologies. HTTPS is provided by GeoTrust;

For data reliability with replication, we use snapshots and backups

For network security, we use firewalls and private subnets;

For physical security, we use top trusted cloud providers.

Additionally, on our platform, we restrict access to our servers by utilizing private IP addresses and private VMs.

We also close all open ports (except HTTPS) and have firewalls to restrict access to our servers. 

To combat external attacks (e.g., DDoS), we limit public access to a small set of servers. And our cloud providers actively work to mitigate external attacks by controlling traffic on their networks.

Our servers are also continually updated with the latest OS security patches and software.

Inside our application, Centrallo uses standard mechanisms to prevent certain attacks like SQL injection, XSS and CSRF.  

We use HTTPS to encrypt data sent between the client and our service while simultaneously eliminating "man in the middle" attacks.

In addition, we are using best practices to isolate and secure all user data.

But only 1 Gb max storage? That is not a serious proposition, except perhaps for the busy moms.

All beta version language was removed from Centrallo a few months ago as they have officially launched - http://www.prweb.com/releases/Centrallo/Launch/prweb12365917.htm.   They are working on an encrypted data version for premium users and I highly recommend that you try the app - www.centrallo.com.  Below, here is a privacy and data security statement from their CEO:

For cloud security and scalability, we depend on trusted third parties such as AWS and DigitalOcean;

For data and communication encryption, we use AES, TLS, SSL and other technologies. HTTPS is provided by GeoTrust;

Additionally, on our platform, we restrict access to our servers by utilizing private IP addresses and private VMs.

We also close all open ports (except HTTPS) and have firewalls to restrict access to our servers. 

To combat external attacks (e.g., DDoS), we limit public access to a small set of servers. And our cloud providers actively work to mitigate external attacks by controlling traffic on their networks.

Our servers are also continually updated with the latest OS security patches and software.

Inside our application, Centrallo uses standard mechanisms to prevent certain attacks like SQL injection, XSS and CSRF.  

We use HTTPS to encrypt data sent between the client and our service while simultaneously eliminating "man in the middle" attacks.

But only 1 Gb max storage? That is not a serious proposition, except perhaps for the busy moms.

Busy moms? How about busy dads? 

That is good news Roberta, for those interested in Centrallo.

@Frank dg: I did not mean to be sexist/chauvinist/discriminating, but you are right, "busy moms" & "busy dads" also have a growing need for storage space. That confirms my view that 1 Gb is way too little for most people.

You tell me :huh:

Busy moms? How about busy dads? 

Busy dads too.  They are updating the storage plans in January to include 1GB for free accounts and 15GB for premium.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

I'm not sure how one gigabyte of storage would appeal to any "power user," but I urge everyone to frequently backup their data, carefully explore any software they try, and be cautious about what they put into any cloud service, especially if the data is unencrypted.

I realize these concerns about security may be seen as an uncomfortable or inconvenient truth for mobile warriors, a downer for the impatient and always connected, or the words of someone "not ready" for the cloudy future. That may be true, but try and spare a few seconds to give it a think.

Whatever reservations you may have about the Evernote service, it should be noted that they are well-established, have all of your data on servers they physically control quite rigorously, there is two-factor authentication, and they do not mine your data to serve you ads or sell to third parties. If you are going to use a cloud service, these are some pretty tough standards to beat.

• Like 5

I'm not sure how one gigabyte of storage would appeal to any "power user," but I urge everyone to frequently backup their data, carefully explore any software they try, and be cautious about what they put into any cloud service, especially if the data is unencrypted.

I realize these concerns about security may be seen as an uncomfortable or inconvenient truth for mobile warriors, a downer for the impatient and always connected, or the words of someone "not ready" for the cloudy future. That may be true, but try and spare a few seconds to give it a think.

Whatever reservations you may have about the Evernote service, it should be noted that they are:

• well-established
  • all of your data on servers they physically control quite rigorously
  • two-factor authentication
  • they do not mine your data to serve you ads or sell to third parties

If you are going to use a cloud service, these are some pretty tough standards to beat.

For POWER-USERS... this is critical.

For CASUAL-USERS... this does not matter... UNTIL it does.

~ Alan

• Like 2

EN is a well-established company but they were still hacked last year. They probably beefed up their security, but even the likes of Sony get hacked today. So being well-established is no guarantee for water-tight security, as that probably does not exist.

As for Centrallo's increase: their new allowances are better than the pathetic 100 Mb they allowed for the free account & 1 Gb for premium. But I agree with you 1 Gb for power users is peanuts, but that way a power user is encouraged to go premium. And even then, 15 Gb is probably insufficient. Not too worry, they find out along the way.

Whatever reservations you may have about the Evernote service, it should be noted that they are well-established, have all of your data on servers they physically control quite rigorously, there is two-factor authentication, and they do not mine your data to serve you ads or sell to third parties. If you are going to use a cloud service, these are some pretty tough standards to beat.

• Level 5*

EN is a well-established company but they were still hacked last year. They probably beefed up their security, but even the likes of Sony get hacked today. So being well-established is no guarantee for water-tight security, as that probably does not exist.

As for Centrallo's increase: their new allowances are better than the pathetic 100 Mb they allowed for the free account & 1 Gb for premium. But I agree with you 1 Gb for power users is peanuts, but that way a power user is encouraged to go premium. And even then, 15 Gb is probably insufficient. Not too worry, they find out along the way.

Yep. Well-established simply means your chances of avoiding data loss, hacking, selling, or misuse are lower. Nothing is 100% safe. Evernote says so in its terms of service and privacy agreement.

For that reason, I am even less likely these days to use the cloud unless it is necessary or the data is of no particular importance. I think the lesson we should have all learned by now is that anything connected to the Internet is at risk, and we should assume that anything we release unencrypted into the wild using cloud services (email, Evernote, Dropbox) has been, is currently, or will be "hacked" (by state or privately funded entities).

Encryption isn't a magical solution for everything, but I now consider it the minimum level of security I'll accept for stuff that I want / must keep confidential. This is relatively painless (and always has been) on a single desktop device, but is surprisingly difficult as soon as you try syncing with another device or using the cloud. We haven't seen many improvements in this regard over the years. My Palm thingy was surprisingly advanced ten years ago! Perhaps 2015 is the year we start taking the threats more seriously and demanding the same from our governments and apps.

As for investing in a service, as a power user, I need a map forward, and I don't have time or energy to ride with some service through the many bumps along the way. It either has a plan to scale up or it doesn't. Ideally, it has already built in the ability to handle massive amounts of data. I can count on one hand the number of services I've found that can scale up enough for my needs, and Evernote isn't one of them.

Yet. I think Evernote will get there eventually, but even with their resources, seven years into the service we are still capped at 100,000 notes, and there is no practical way to actually use the app within its theoretical limits. A new service with no obvious plan for the future doesn't look too appealing to me. In fact, their lack of vision is a red warning flag that power users are not especially welcome and their needs are not likely to be met.

• Like 4

Thanks to everyone for this thread I have been reading it with much interest.  I was a hardcore Evernote user up until 2012 when I had started having major problems with the Web Clipper crashing Firefox or just sucking performance-wise.  I have 8,874 notes in 30+ notebooks with 30+ tags.  The computer that I use the most currently is a MacBook Pro recently upgraded to OS X Yosemite.  Lately, I find that I use Google Chrome for a few weeks until some update makes Chrome unusable and then switch to Firefox for a few weeks until an update makes Firefox unusable.  Occasionally, I will try Safari for a few days until I get fed up with it--for sure my next laptop will be running Linux.

Anyway, today I have been revisiting the idea of either using Evernote again, which may be alright provided that the Chrome works consistently, or finding a suitable alternative because the Firefox add-on still sucks.  RedNotebook would be promising if they had used Markdown instead of the stupid txt2tags format--let's face it in certain circles Markdown has become the de facto standard and it's what I use to author documentation.

I found Slant.co today and an excellent list of cross-platform note taking apps http://www.slant.co/topics/697/~what-are-the-best-cross-platform-note-taking-apps

• Level 5*

Thanks to everyone for this thread I have been reading it with much interest.  I was a hardcore Evernote user up until 2012 when I had started having major problems with the Web Clipper crashing Firefox or just sucking performance-wise.  I have 8,874 notes in 30+ notebooks with 30+ tags.  The computer that I use the most currently is a MacBook Pro recently upgraded to OS X Yosemite.  Lately, I find that I use Google Chrome for a few weeks until some update makes Chrome unusable and then switch to Firefox for a few weeks until an update makes Firefox unusable.  Occasionally, I will try Safari for a few days until I get fed up with it--for sure my next laptop will be running Linux.

Anyway, today I have been revisiting the idea of either using Evernote again, which may be alright provided that the Chrome works consistently, or finding a suitable alternative because the Firefox add-on still sucks.  RedNotebook would be promising if they had used Markdown instead of the stupid txt2tags format--let's face it in certain circles Markdown has become the de facto standard and it's what I use to author documentation.

I found Slant.co today and an excellent list of cross-platform note taking apps http://www.slant.co/topics/697/~what-are-the-best-cross-platform-note-taking-apps

Thanks for the link. I'd say it is an OK list of some note-taking apps, but not especially informative, and I'd suggest Wikipedia's list of personal wikis instead. I think, to summarise the situation for power users, your best bet for formatted cross-platform notes is either Evernote or OneNote. There will be strengths and weaknesses for both, depending on your particular use case.

Alternatively, if you primarily use plain text, which is itself compatible with every platform, you free yourself from a lot of constraints. See my website for more on the pleasures of plain text. However, the downside (as I see it) is that you trade the convenience of leaving messy stuff to others (and blaming them when it doesn't work) for diy (and the work that entails). There are systems you can cobble together to make it a little more appealing (mine), but it will never be as seamless as Evernote.Frankly, if Evernote seems too bloated for you (the bizarre complaint on that site) I'd say you're better off taking a deep breath every time you see a button too many and letting it go, because the world of vim (recommended on that site) is infinitely more complex and distracting!

Anyhow, if you are a power user dissatisfied with Evernote, my recommendation is to make sure you clearly pinpoint the source of your frustration and ask yourself if changing to another app is worth the effort. Sometimes, we lose perspective on things, and it helps to take a step back and look at the big picture. Otherwise, especially with brand new shiny things that promise salvation from this "hell" of note-taking, you may be inviting some very unpleasant experiences with little chance for actually improving your situation. The notebook limit in Evernote, for instance, is surely annoying for some folks, but there are very well-established and easily implemented methods for dealing with it by leveraging Evernote's strengths.

As for the web clipper, make sure to post in the web clipper threads. I think you'll find the Evernote developer in charge of the web clipper is extremely prompt, involved in the forums, and dedicated to maintaining their functionality.

• Like 3
  • Level 5*

As for the web clipper, make sure to post in the web clipper threads. I think you'll find the Evernote developer in charge of the web clipper is extremely prompt, involved in the forums, and dedicated to maintaining their functionality.

I'll second that. I think that Jakob does a great job down in the web clipper subforum.

Your point is legit, but without major funding, it's going to be very difficult for small start-ups to give out huge amounts of storage.  They need to scale up and start making money before they can do that.  And even then it's difficult, imagine that the product catches on and suddenly they have millions of users signing up.  90%+ of whom will be non-paying/free customers (yes that can be offset with ads).  So any startup without huge funding is going to need to control storage for free customers so they don't get caught with their pants down.

Grumpy Monkey's advice:

Anyhow, if you are a power user dissatisfied with Evernote, my recommendation is to make sure you clearly pinpoint the source of your frustration and ask yourself if changing to another app is worth the effort. Sometimes, we lose perspective on things, and it helps to take a step back and look at the big picture. Otherwise, especially with brand new shiny things that promise salvation from this "hell" of note-taking, you may be inviting some very unpleasant experiences with little chance for actually improving your situation.

This seems obvious but is very sensible advice. When I try other note-taking apps, it is easy to get enthusiastic about some of their features, until I  look for an important one that Evernote or one of the others I use offers & did not find it.

So, in order to better understand what there is, I decided to make it visual with a matrix (app names in a row, features in a column) for my use case & indicate whether a feature is present in each app as follows: (yes or no) or (yes, no). The green yes & red no are obvious as to their meaning. Red yes (yes) means "present" but poorly so, whilst green no (no) means "absent" but acceptable.

This way one sees very quickly if an app is worth further testing or not. I tried one with a trial period of 45 days. It has some very good & powerful features, and I got quite excited over it, but unfortunately it lacks a few features  that I deem essential. So having played with it for 3 days I concluded it was not for me.

• Like 3
  • Level 5*

I think a lot of people in their rage over this or that lose sight of the forest for the trees. I've been known to kick up a lot of dust over relatively minor things as well. I get it.

Brett Terpstra put together a crowdsourced version of DutchPete's idea for ios text editors (we plain text folks are a hardcore bunch). I think Evernote does not fit in there, because it isn't really plain text when editing, and it cannot export plain text, distinctions which probably wouldn't matter to most Evernote users.

http://brettterpstra.com/ios-text-editors/

I'd like to see someone put together something like this for personal information managers. It would be really helpful for folks, though it might be difficult to illustrate things like problems with an app on one platform but not on another, or some of the more subtle issues with syncing that sometimes occur.

And, in response to zzz, when it comes to pointing out a competitor's lack of storage or the like, it isn't a criticism of the app itself, but of the app for power users, who presumably have a lot more at stake when moving from one thing to another. If you just have a handful of notes then anything, even a hipster's pda, will work fine. Regarding the funding, it depends on the details. Evernote is actually one of the few services that owns its own storage. Many others (VoodooPad, DEVONthink, Simplenote, etc.) go through Dropbox for cloud syncing or offer the wonderful security of wifi syncing without the cloud (VoodooPad and DEVONthink). As far as I know, none of them received major funding, but they are all quite powerful.

As for me, Evernote lacks a lot of stuff I'd like (markdown) but don't need. I wouldn't leave it over a disagreement about color schemes or public notebooks. Unfortunately, security and privacy are top priorities for my use case, so the proposed chart wouldn't do me a whole lot of good, because there are only a handful of apps that are feasible for me. Other users with emphases on different priorities might well discover that Evernote is at the top of the heap for their particular use cases.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

I no longer feel that Evernote can handle most of my requirements. The frequently mentioned scalability problem scares the hell out of me. Evernote's silence on this topic (and other problems) far outweighs their search features.

So after promoting Evernote for many years, i have reverted back to using a variety of programs geared for different needs.

Libre Office for my Documents and my Spreadsheets

Flickr for my photographs

Outlook for my calendar

Workflowy for my outlines, reminders, tasks and projects

OneNote, OneDrive, and Dropbox

Speciality apps for grocery shopping, traveling, etc.

LastPass for encryption of private documents

CamScanner for my receipts

I now use Evernote to store website captures of minor importance (hobbies, politics, tips)

For spreadsheets & documents I use "Spreadsheets" & "Writer" of the WPS Office suite by Kingsoft. The interface is very very close to the MS Office equivalents, closer than LibreOffice is & also faster than LibreOffice & MS Office.

I now look at EN as an excellent digital filing cabinet for all my official documents (e.g. passport) & records. I can find all those things in EN very quickly. I don't try to use it anymore for something it was not really designed for.

I no longer feel that Evernote can handle most of my requirements. The frequently mentioned scalability problem scares the hell out of me. Evernote's silence on this topic (and other problems) far outweighs their search features.

So after promoting Evernote for many years, i have reverted back to using a variety of programs geared for different needs.

Outlook for my calendar

I now use Evernote to store website captures of minor importance (hobbies, politics, tips)

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

I think a lot of people in their rage over this or that lose sight of the forest for the trees. I've been known to kick up a lot of dust over relatively minor things as well. I get it.

Brett Terpstra put together a crowdsourced version of DutchPete's idea for ios text editors (we plain text folks are a hardcore bunch). I think Evernote does not fit in there, because it isn't really plain text when editing, and it cannot export plain text, distinctions which probably wouldn't matter to most Evernote users.

http://brettterpstra.com/ios-text-editors/

I'd like to see someone put together something like this for personal information managers. It would be really helpful for folks, though it might be difficult to illustrate things like problems with an app on one platform but not on another, or some of the more subtle issues with syncing that sometimes occur.

GM,

PIM.  I think you have hit the proverbial nail on the head here.  EN is definitely more a PIM and not a note taking app.

Way back in the day I used an app called Ecco.  It advertised itself as a PIM but was really a note taking app built on an outline structure and a search function.  That was about all it did, but it did it well.  EN seems sometimes to be advertised as a note taking app but really is a PIM based upon all of the types and formats of information it can absorb, 'structure', and find across platforms.  For me, EN does PIM well, but does not do pure note taking as well.  So when you look at the Slant list it does feel like a comparison of apples and oranges.  It would be interesting to know how many cross platform PIMs exist beyond EN and ON would make it to a PIM comparison chart  

Personally, I'm past the tinkering stage.  I've five plus years invested in integrating EN into my work flow, I have all my personal information in EN (within the constraints of today's security boundaries), it does what I need well the majority of the time and when it doesn't I improvise,  Improvising is so much easier than changing tools.  Now, I haven't run into the scalability issues of others as yet, approaching 30,000 notes but not there.  

As long as scalability doesn't rear its ugly head and EN rights the ship on their recent quality issues I should have no reason to change in the medium term.  I doubt the Holy Grail of PIMs will be arriving in the near term.  The Holy Grail of task management has a better chance of arriving first.  Now if EN management decides to make their product a pure note taking app, that would be a different story.  

And I do remember that Ecco did go paws up....

• Like 5
  • Level 5*

I don't know where Evernote is headed, but they seem to have more in mind than just note-taking, so I think you can rest easy about that.

PIMs that work on both Windows and Mac are rare. In my case, giving up on Windows in my workflow helped me to find a Mac / iOS solution that works for my use case.

Having been a heavy OneNote user before making the switch to Evernote...

I honestly dont believe you will be satisfied unless you have very specific needs that are different to what Evernote offers...

Only way is to try and find out...

Give OneNote a chance... But its style of use is Extremely different to Evernote... Its diversity in use is also limited.

I would be very interested in hearing from someone who was a heavy Evernote user and made the switch to onenote and was satisfied.

Keep's use is very limited... Can be usefull.. But it just does not do what evernote does...

Keep is not in the same class as EN or 1N: it is just a glorified Sticky Notes app for temporary notes, which are saved in the cloud by Google.

Having been a heavy OneNote user before making the switch to Evernote...

I honestly dont believe you will be satisfied unless you have very specific needs that are different to what Evernote offers...

Only way is to try and find out...

Give OneNote a chance... But its style of use is Extremely different to Evernote... Its diversity in use is also limited.

I would be very interested in hearing from someone who was a heavy Evernote user and made the switch to onenote and was satisfied.

Keep's use is very limited... Can be usefull.. But it just does not do what evernote does...

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Keep is not in the same class as EN or 1N: it is just a glorified Sticky Notes app for temporary notes, which are saved in the cloud by Google.

Indeed. PowerUsers would be well-advised to stay away from Keep. It would be a very poor replacement for Evernote, and Google has a history of abandoning projects (including its previous stab at a notetaking app), so you might end up suffering for it (as previous users of its notetaking app can tell you).

The fact is that very few apps on the market today have the depth across platforms that Evernote has, and for power users, it helps to know that the massive user base will fund its future development. Only a few other apps can boast similar numbers, and perhaps only OneNote is the only other personal information manager that comes close to Evernote's adoption rate.

If you can work on fewer platforms (OSX + iOS or Windows Surface Pro) then you can find more options. Or, work in something universal such as plain text.

• Like 2

Yep... one does not need to be a power user of anything to see at a superficial glance that Google Keep is not a serious contender for storing more than tidbits of information, which one cannot even reorder. And they never intended it to be more than it is. Google's "Google Docs", etc. is another story and too serves its purpose. 

Outlook for my calendar

I think that part of the problem is that people try to do things with Evernote while it is not designed or optimal for those things.....

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Outlook for my calendar

I think that part of the problem is that people try to do things with Evernote while it is not designed or optimal for those things.....

In my case, I took Evernote at their word and used it as my 2nd brain - a place to store and retrieve information. It works OK for folks with a few thousand notes.

But as you can see in these posts, several of the power users who reached the 25,000 to 50,000 level have posted comments about their difficulties (or moved to other programs). 

Evernote is shifting their direction from a consumer based software program to a corporate based software program. I hope this move will address the problems mentioned by the large-quantity note users.

• Level 5*

I'm going to hate myself if anything happens after I post this..  but so far I'm at 19,340+ notes without any major slow-downs.  The addition of new notes has slowed considerably,  and I'm more often adding to (or deleting) existing ones,  but I'll probably pass 20,000 this year..  I'll let you know!

• Like 3

So it transpires that there is a threshold of 19-20 000 notes, beyond which EN starts to labour (a bit). And the more notes one keeps adding, the more laborious the process becomes. This is an important ascertainment.

I'm going to hate myself if anything happens after I post this..  but so far I'm at 19,340+ notes without any major slow-downs.  The addition of new notes has slowed considerably,  and I'm more often adding to (or deleting) existing ones,  but I'll probably pass 20,000 this year..  I'll let you know!

• Level 5*

Ditto on the jinx, but I think you may be safe for another 10k notes.  I'm approaching 27,500 and no performance issues as yet on today's release.  I had some slowdown a few releases back, but that got fixed.. Someone mentioned 30k seemed to be the tipping point...

I'm curious, what are the uses that get you to tens of thousands of notes? How do those notes get created, surely not manually? 30k notes in, say, five years would be roughly 16 notes created every single day. Lots of shared notebooks?

I've used EN since 2008 and I always hover at around 2K notes. I delete things that are done or read and it doesn't really seem to grow past the 2-3K mark.

• Level 5*

I'm curious, what are the uses that get you to tens of thousands of notes? How do those notes get created, surely not manually? 30k notes in, say, five years would be roughly 16 notes created every single day. Lots of shared notebooks?

I've used EN since 2008 and I always hover at around 2K notes. I delete things that are done or read and it doesn't really seem to grow past the 2-3K mark.

Um.... scanning, capturing emails, web page clipping, IFTTT, etc., etc., etc.

• Like 3
  • Level 5*

So it transpires that there is a threshold of 19-20 000 notes, beyond which EN starts to labour (a bit). And the more notes one keeps adding, the more laborious the process becomes. This is an important ascertainment.

Sorry,  if you're taking my comment as meaning Evernote is slowing down on adding new notes,  I didn't mean to give that impression;  I've slowed down on the pace of new notes - I'm still scanning,  clipping,  emailing and using the mobile to take pictures,  but most things I needed to 'bulk' convert have been processed already.  I'll have added about 10 new notes by the end of today forinstance.  Now that we're talking about it I remember a few posts about folks running into the 100,000 note limit who were annoyed they couldn't continue adding more - presumably they weren't having problems with performance.  I'd heard problems came at 20k notes (hence the crossed fingers)  @csihilling thought it was 30k..  Anyone with 40,000+ notes reading this and care to comment?  I wonder whether the Great Slow Down is one of those urban myths..?

You hit the nail on the head by using the keywords "deleting things that are done". I would add to that the words "or extraneous".

Probably 90-99% of users do not do anything about that & just keep dumping stuff into EN. I am not saying that applies to any of the posters here, but I have had some intense discussions about this in other posts & was basically made to understand that the notion of keeping EN clean is ridiculous & even runs counter to the "remeber everything" slogan of the company.

But I also know that there are power users (probably few) who do carry out the clean-up operation from time to time. I count myself among them.

• Level 5*

Jeff's point's plus statements, confirmations of any sort, insurance policies, manuals, web clips, jokes, project notes and emails, receipts of any kind, pictures of wines consumed and liked, and basically anything that might go in a filing cabinet.  I am virtually paperless at this point.  

Minor details, I have 16k notes on line and the rest in local notebooks, of all my notes 16.5k are PDFs, and I don't do much pruning since the majority of the notes are historical.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

You hit the nail on the head by using the keywords "deleting things that are done". I would add to that the words "or extraneous".

Probably 90-99% of users do not do anything about that & just keep dumping stuff into EN. I am not saying that applies to any of the posters here, but I have had some intense discussions about this in other posts & was basically made to understand that the notion of keeping EN clean is ridiculous & even runs counter to the "remember everything" slogan of the company.

But I also know that there are power users (probably few) who do carry out the clean-up operation from time to time. I count myself among them.

If a search result includes  a note which truly has no value, I will delete the note.  Its not likely at that point that I will go on safari to find other like notes to purge them.  Juice not worth the squeeze for me.   :)

• Like 3

Whatever works for you is fine. I will not go into this part of the overall discussion again lest I get shot down again.

Probably 90-99% of users do not do anything about that & just keep dumping stuff into EN. I am not saying that applies to any of the posters here, but I have had some intense discussions about this in other posts & was basically made to understand that the notion of keeping EN clean is ridiculous & even runs counter to the "remember everything" slogan of the company.

If a search result includes  a note which truly has no value, I will delete the note.  Its not likely at that point that I will go on safari to find other like notes to purge them.  Juice not worth the squeeze for me.   :)

• Like 2

Whatever a "power user" is, it's a safe bet that some of them keep everything, and some do ruthless cleanup...

Power User is broadly defined all over the Internet, however the following (2) definitions offer an accurate overview:

A sophisticated user of personal computers. A power user is typically someone who has considerable experience with computers and utilizes the most advanced features of applications.

SOURCE: http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/P/power_user.html

A power user is an individual that operates a computer or device with advanced skills, knowledge, experience and capabilities. A power user has the ability to reap multiple benefits and functionalities of a computer, software application or the Internet... also known as a super user... typically has a more advanced grasp of using and/or operating standard computers or software than regular users.

SOURCE: http://www.techopedia.com/definition/1784/power-user

Hope this proves useful.  :)

~ Alan

• Like 2

So one can be a super user/ power user without so much as hitting a couple of hundred notes. Just depends how much you prune.

I'm sitting at 24,074 notes as of today. Any time I add another geeky element to my database, it may go up as much as 200 notes each day for an extended period. For the sake of thoroughness, I need each and every one of those notes. There's no pruning that particular category. Only my personal notes. 

No problems on my end so far with searches lagging, etc. 

• Like 1

I think the remaining killer features for Evernote for me are the ability to add content via email and extracting text from images, but haven't been doing a lot of that lately.  Other than that, my workflow has become very Markdown-centric, although there's nothing stopping me from using Markdown in Evernote it just won't be rendered.  I just set up Jekyll in my Github account and started taking notes in Haroopad and am comfortable just making lists of links in Markdown with my comments.  Chrome has been thrashing again so I'm using Firefox and have Copy as Markdown. Link Gopher, and Snap Links Plus add-ons installed, which could make things easier, but am so used to typing Markdown anyway I haven't bothered.

• Level 5

My problems began as I approached 30,000 notes a year ago. Different Evernote Support tier-levels worked with me on several solutions. The final solution was to split my notes into 2 separate premium Evernote accounts. Fortunately, half of my notes are clearly different from the other half making the separation/export process possible. Even with the 1GB transfer cap last year, it took 3 months to complete the transfer. 

But my primary account continued to climb, so I started moving more notes over to Google Docs and DropBox.  I saw other Evernote users were developing a variety of techniques - pulling large PDF files out of Evernote, using multiple Evernote accounts, switching to OneNote, using more simple text files, etc.

I hope that as Evernote switches over to the corporate world, they will be able to address the requirement for large quantities of notes.

• Like 1

My problems began as I approached 30,000 notes a year ago. Different Evernote Support tier-levels worked with me on several solutions. The final solution was to split my notes into 2 separate premium Evernote accounts. Fortunately, half of my notes are clearly different from the other half making the separation/export process possible. Even with the 1GB transfer cap last year, it took 3 months to complete the transfer. 

But my primary account continued to climb, so I started moving more notes over to Google Docs and DropBox.  I saw other Evernote users were developing a variety of techniques - pulling large PDF files out of Evernote, using multiple Evernote accounts, switching to OneNote, using more simple text files, etc.

I hope that as Evernote switches over to the corporate world, they will be able to address the requirement for large quantities of notes.

Howdy jbenson2:

With 287 posts and climbing... I have 100% CERTAINTY that Evernote administrators and developers are well aware of the DISSASTISFACTION and TECHNICAL ISSUES discussed within this thread and others which they have not yet resolved within the past 3-years.

The biggest problem facing EN subscribers is EN's own internal INATTENTIVENESS to its subcriber base.

• Just like the U.S. Executive branch and Congress... things will either get better... or they won't... making the need for change much diminished... or demandingly pressing.

• Right now... American's perceive the greatest threat to America is not ISIS... but rather the Executive Branch and the Congress. Likewise, EN has apparently not realized that EN is also its own biggest threat... to its future predominance.

• In the meantime... a 3rd party may publish a new application built upon much needed and compelling INGENUITY... which could profoundly change the playing field. Highly probable.

We all have a VOTE... and sooner or later... we individually and together will exercise it.

~ Alan

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

??

Either things will get better, or they won't. Tautology levels are high, though threat levels remain stationary. Political metaphorics remain unclear; future cloudy, try again later. "Power users" on edge. As always ("I could be doing this better, what else is out there?").

Font sizes are apparently growing, however...

• Like 2

??

Either things will get better, or they won't. Tautology levels are high, though threat levels remain stationary. Political metaphorics remain unclear; future cloudy, try again later. "Power users" on edge. As always ("I could be doing this better, what else is out there?").

Font sizes are apparently growing, however...

Best suggestion is... get off the BAD WATER... and get on with it!  LOL!!!

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Hmmm.... well, anyhow... back to the topic.

I doubt there is a specific number of notes that causes problems for the app on any particular client. 100,000 copies of your tweets isn't likely to do any damage. I guess problems occur because of a combination of factors -- large note sizes, dense with text, in lots of folders, with lots of tags. That kind of stuff is probably causing trouble, but the app on each client is constantly improving, so I suppose it is also a moving target.

You have to deal with the app that is, not the app that was, or the one that may be. If you are currently having trouble, for whatever reason, I recommend you carefully evaluate your situation and only move from one app to another if you decide it is necessary and will actually solve your problems. Rage quitting won't greatly affect Evernote, but it will negatively impact you.

• Like 8

................. Rage quitting won't greatly affect Evernote, but it will negatively impact you.

That is so good it needs to be the mantra of everyone who moans about a software package that changes and subsequently annoys them!

Regards

Chris

• Like 4

Sorry for chiming in on an old post, but speaking of OneNote, Encryption and Privacy... I signed up and throughly played with OneNote just for a comparison about a year ago. I even migrated some content over... Not longer after, to my surprise/ chagrin I received an email from Microsoft stating that my account was locked due to some potentially 'harmful' content in my account. There was no option to retrieve the content, mainly some ebooks and a few notes. This became the biggest deterrent to dealing with Microsoft for my private notes. Yea there's no encryption yet in EN (I truly believe it's coming), but at least they aren't snooping in my stuff. I don't know what could have been 'harmful' and I don't care, I value freedom, or at least a greater level of freedom than OneNote. 

Howdy, EN Power Users:

I have read a consistently growing number of threads expressing that EN is increasing in calousness towards its subscriber base... causing some of it core supporters and power users to call it "enough."

From the time you've taken to research, which applications are you finding to be the most VIABLE replacements or alternatives to EN for Power Users?    (Links would be appreciated.)

Most of us have witnessed poorly managed companies drive an exceptional product or service into the ground... and in this case it would directly affect EN users. I use EN to run my business (Win + Android)... so quality, stability and user-friendliness are critical... would prefer to avoid a Titanic mishap well before entering the ice field.

Thank you in advance for a prompt and detailed response.

Alan

• Like 4

Sorry for chiming in on an old post, but speaking of OneNote, Encryption and Privacy... I signed up and throughly played with OneNote just for a comparison about a year ago. I even migrated some content over... Not longer after, to my surprise/ chagrin I received an email from Microsoft stating that my account was locked due to some potentially 'harmful' content in my account. There was no option to retrieve the content, mainly some ebooks and a few notes. This became the biggest deterrent to dealing with Microsoft for my private notes. Yea there's no encryption yet in EN (I truly believe it's coming), but at least they aren't snooping in my stuff. I don't know what could have been 'harmful' and I don't care, I value freedom, or at least a greater level of freedom than OneNote.

Howdy, Lindsey.

Thank you for "chiming in".

Microsoft never rectified the issue with you?... that's remarkable!

~ Alan

P.S. See PM.

Never! But again, didn't need them to. That was enough to scare the heck out of me. Way more than when EN removed the list view from the Mac client (Thankfully that's been re-added). :) I've recovered and life is back to normal.

Howdy, Lindsey.

Thank you for "chiming in".

Microsoft never rectified the issue with you?... that's remarkable!

~ Alan

P.S. See PM.

Microsoft support is terrible...

Even with everyone's complaints that Evernote does not listen to its members...

I can honestly say they are better than any other stand-alone program I own...

OneNote is not Microsoft's only program.. Its neither thought out or developed like Evernote..

They dont listen at all to support... They are even more apathetic with regards to Mac users... or any user not using windows...

I spent almost 3 months without direct access to my notes through the OneNote program due to a glitch.. I had to retrieve them in my browser

For all the complaining... I think this might be the one company large company that listens..

• Like 1

I don't want to defend Microsoft, but on the few occasions I had problems, I have phoned their support and had the problem dealt with immediately!

I am not sure how I could want for any more from a company or support team?

Regards

Chris

• Like 1

So after 15 pages have we agreed that OneNote is the best EN alternative for Windows? Bit of a disappointing result if so. I think I'll end up building my own simple note taking app which actually prints by number of pages, and at the size as on the page and not HUGE! These 2 things really do my head in! And I forgot underlines appear more like a strikethrough. Word actually does all 3 without any issues, maybe that's where I should go - back to basics. Can I really go back to OneNote, 4 years after leaving? 

So after 15 pages have we agreed that OneNote is the best EN alternative for Windows? Bit of a disappointing result if so. I think I'll end up building my own simple note taking app, which actually prints by number of pages, and at the size as on the page and not HUGE! These 2 things really do my head in!

Howdy, Ian:

I would calculate after one reading all 15 pages... I would guess the following would yield begrudging... but unanimous agreement among EN Power-Users...

1.  There is NO clear contender...

2.  Some apps have positive attributes which are potentially attractive...

3.  Unresolved security risks...

4.  NO alternative app is a clear winner - at this time - as a full comparable, functioning, worthy alternative to EN... YET...

5.  For most users, a transition from EN to some other app could be the equivalent of jumping from the frying pan into the fire... high long-term risk...

Have I missed anything?  LOL!

~ Alan

You're absolutely right Alan. How is that they can't just get the fundamentals working without constant problems on Evernote for Windows - which surely is their flagship OS? Note Taking, Editor (with bg highlighter), Formatting, Printing (by page number), Syncing to server without conflicts, Web Clips. That's all I want in a note taking app. I'm not bothered about chatting, sharing, making chilli con carne - please just let me take sodding notes securely!  

And relax... 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

One decision I made years ago was to work in plain text. I made it for many reasons. But, chief among them was portability.

http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=14

Moving from one app to another is a relatively painless task if you write in Markdown, and you'll be able to print however you'd like, I suppose, because you can control everything. I went paperless years ago as well, so I wouldn't know about printing and page numbers, though.

And, because plain text is the lingua franca among computers, it is easy to find an app (even notepad, if you'd like) to handle your notes.If you're going back to basics, I wouldn't do Word, I'd do plain text.

• Like 2