How many notes do people have?

I have just under 5,000 notes.  I have seen users with 7,000 notes.  

I am developing an app for Evernote (nearly finished) and it would help a great deal if I knew how notes per users breaks down.  Something like this (I just made up the numbers): 

Number of users with <300 notes        Number of users with 300 - 500 notes         Number of users with 500 - 1,000 notes   Number of users with 1,000+ notes

92 million                                              400,000                                                         128,000                                                      98,000

Is there any breakdown like this out there anywhere?

• Level 5

I'd love to see a formal response from Evernote addressing this issue. Their knowledgebase claims the maximum number is 100,000 notes. What type of testing was done to validate this 100K limit? There are a lot of variables - average size of note, type of attachment, photos, etc.

Several power users started running into trouble when their Evernote databases approached 25K to 50K.  I don't know anyone who has successfully reached the 75K level. Take a look through this post to see all the complaints and work arounds.

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/66103-alternatives-to-en-discussion/page-1

I ran into lots of problems when I hit 30,000 notes. Evernote Support suggested several possible solutions, but finally suggested I split my data into two separate Evernote accounts.

• Level 5*

As of this moment I have 7047 notes. No sluggishness in Windows, but I do lag a bit on Mac. I attribute it more to the auto-syncing feature than note volume. Most of my trouble is when I edit a note and then try to change its notebook... everything drags while it tries to instantly sync my changes.

• Like 1

A related question: How do you manage your notes when you have thousands and thousands of notes?

I know how to use Evernote, and I look up stuff all the time since I have everything on planet earth stored there.  But...

I can't look up a note after I've lost all memory that it even exists.  Sure, I can click on a tag and then start working through all the notes in the tag to see if I've forgotten anything worthwhile, but I just can't imagine doing that.  When I want information, I want something specific, so I can only want what I can roughly remember exists.  (It's getting kind of existential.)

For me this problem is a big deal.  I think my app mostly solves this problem, but honestly, I just don't know how big a problem it is for other users.  I'd love to hear thoughts.

• Like 1

1400 notes (4 years of use, I have a couple thousand notes exported and stored in an archive that are from years-old projects). 

As few notebooks as possible, good titles, judicious tagging. Search is my usual means of retrieval. I very rarely browse. The exception would be for very tightly related notes. For example, when I travel I might place my various itinerary documents into Evernote and tag them with a locationMMYY tag, (e.g., baltimore0415). I would either search for that tag with tag:baltimore* or tag:baltimore0415. I may browse by clicking on that tag (likely if it is close to my departure that tag will be saved as a shortcut) but unless the tag is in the shortcuts section, that's not as efficient in my opinion. 

Searching for note content (rather than a specific tag) can produce a fair number of false positives, but in general the false positives aren't too hard to sift through. 

So, tightly defined tags and searching. Minimal use of notebooks (my notebook count is slightly inflated due to the need to share some things, which requires its own notebook). 

• Like 1

Thanks Scott,

Here's what my app does.  Opening screen is roughly like Evernote opening screen except you see only six notes and the title are shown in full.  Now let's say you clipped a sentence from an online article because you think it reinforces something you read the other day.  Tap on that note and it drops to the bottom of your screen.  Tap on the other note you have in mind and now the two notes are connected so that whenever you pull up one note, you'll see the other.  what you just did is you save the reason WHY that note matters to you--because of how it ties in with the first note.  

In my app, you don't save notes you connect them.  And then, whenever you pull up any note you'll see all the notes that are tied to it.

Of course it all comes down to the user interface which is very cool, but I'm just curious--does that sound like something you'd use?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Scott,

Here's what my app does.  Opening screen is roughly like Evernote opening screen except you see only six notes and the title are shown in full.  Now let's say you clipped a sentence from an online article because you think it reinforces something you read the other day.  Tap on that note and it drops to the bottom of your screen.  Tap on the other note you have in mind and now the two notes are connected so that whenever you pull up one note, you'll see the other.  what you just did is you save the reason WHY that note matters to you--because of how it ties in with the first note.  

In my app, you don't save notes you connect them.  And then, whenever you pull up any note you'll see all the notes that are tied to it.

Of course it all comes down to the user interface which is very cool, but I'm just curious--does that sound like something you'd use?

That sounds like a really compelling idea. I can definitely see a use case for that, though I don't know if it fits my needs... perhaps in large part because my use of Evernote has dropped considerably in the last year, and my current use of it is now very straightforward. The heavy-duty work takes place in another application now.  As such I am less invested in, and have less need for, sophisticated organizational assistance within Evernote. I'd certainly consider a trial of this application you are developing though!

• Level 5*

Thanks Scott,

Answering your question, not.for me.  I use EN as a repository for stuff, from articles I've liked to statements to reference manuals to statements.  I prefer as little structure as possible, very few notebooks and as few tags as possible.  In my use case I typically don't want to build relationships amongst notes.  When I do need that relationship I use links or a TOC.  Otherwise I let the power of the search create the relationships on the fly.  30,000 notes at this point.

OTOH, I could see other use cases where the note linkage you describe might be beneficial.  Particularly if it had a strong visual component.  FWIW.

• Level 5

A related question: How do you manage your notes when you have thousands and thousands of notes?

I use a variety of options to find my information.

1.) Just a few notebooks (broad subjects such as job, home, bills, leisure, misc)

2.) Very specific tags. I have over 1,400 tags.

3.) Notes are sorted by date

4.) I use the intitle: search command frequently

5.) Most of my titles start with the date (YYMMDD) followed by location, subject, and person

• Like 1

Sort notes in notebooks (private, finance, work, bookmark, health and so) 140-160 (have some temporary notebooks)

Tags 2000 +

YY-MM-DD title in many notes

Search daily

@Rocket J. Squirrel, 

You'll definitely find your market. It's all about your unique sell point. I think we discussed previously that what your app will have to offer is unlike the Evernote "Context" feature in that you decide on the notes that are "related"/ connected... not the "augmented intelligence". Emphasize that aspect and it will be clear to people that it is not a feature inherent to Evernote.

You'll also have to lay out why these connections made in your app will be different to tagging notes. 

Best of luck!

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Hmmn.  Just gone over 20,000 notes with no major issues..  and yes,  I sometimes forget what I saved a year or two ago.  My concern though is to have as much information at hand as possible to deal with a current query.  I do searches (having fixed some time ago on long informative titles for notes) which usually find what I need.  Sometimes I have additional surprises...

• Like 2
  • Evernote Expert

Hi Scott ..

1. I have 8000+ Notes. No Issues in Windows, although there were some issues in a previous IOS beta. Now, they seem kind of sorted. Android is also running smooth. Database size around 10 GB.
  2. Regarding Third party Applications : Evernote is a great App in a sense and therotically third party app builders can take the experience and heighten it very much. But practically, having used gazillions of them, it hardly seems to be the case, atleast in mine, where i generally get a poor experience. The only third party applications that i have benefitted from have been the direct EN Ones like Skitch, PenUltimate etc. The Other kind of Integrations that work well are the other ones that typically only do an Export to Evernote, like Feedly, Reeder , Snapshot to Evernote etc.. Hardly have I benefitted from a Third Party App that uses EN's existing data and improves its functionality,
  3. I have even paid for an App which initially was supposed to be a great alternative for the IOS Evernote client, but it hasn't been updated for over two years now. Hell, It does not even support Evernote Reminders. So, either ways, you can see that People who develop Third Party applications have problems with the pricing at some point, unless they have good backing that gives them a long run. The best example of this case can be Postach.io.. So, eventually, there have been cases where Third party applications built over EN have had pricing models at 15 dollars a month.. :)
  4. So, Either way, what i see is that the Free Apps, Dont get enough conversions, or the Premium Third party apps get so little money that they stop development and even hurt the users who paid for them in the first place.. There can be exceptions, though,, Off course. One example is the Bubble Browser for Ipad, I think originally the App costed some 2 or 3 dollars. It is now free. But when i integrated it. the graphical views were totally different. It gave me a different interpretation of my own data, which i typically sort neatly across Tags and Notebooks.
  5. Now, from what i understand of your Application, I don't see any difference between what you do , and teh Link-> Notes feature, a stock feature in Evernote, followed by the Context Feature. Maybe, I am wrong here. Could be.
  6. Most importantly, it isn't about building an app. Whether you charge for it or not , is upto you. But in my view, A third party app that charges over and above a core functionality, when gazillions of users use the base app for free, and premium guys dont pay more than 3 or 4 dollars a month is absurd, no matter how good the functionality. This may change for Business users, but for regular users, I don't think the TPTs work that well, generally speaking in my opinion..

This is not to demotivate you.. But before you take statistics on user, Also do a statistical study on how TPT apps built over Evernote have performed monitarily as well. Good Luclk

• 8 months later...
On 31/07/2015 at 1:55 PM, Rocket J. Squirrel said:

Thanks Scott,

I might. I've already started a manual system of a) quantifying the degree of engagement with each note and B)creating relationships to other notes by pasting links to/from other notes, ensuring keywords are in all related notes and saving searches with those keywords, etc. 

A quicker way to tie notes together might be useful for someone looking for an easier way to do what I've begin to do. However, for me, the manual, deliberate attention and time given to articulating the relationships between notes helps me absorb the info in my notes, so I may not want a method for doing this quicker/easier... curating my notes is part of my process of retention/fluency in a given topic.

• Level 5*
On 7/31/2015 at 0:02 PM, Rocket J. Squirrel said:

I am developing an app for Evernote (nearly finished) and it would help a great deal if I knew how notes per users breaks down.

As of 2016-04-25, I have ~ 16,000 notes, growing steadily at about 10/day, sometimes more.

For this Year (2016)

• Total Notes:  889
  • Max size:  85 MB
  • Min size:  175 bytes
  • Most < 1 MB
  • Source of Notes (in order of note count, descending order)
    • Web clipping
    • EMail
    • Encrypted PDFs
    • PDF Ref documents
    • Event Notes (meetings, phone calls, etc)
    • Research Notes
On 7/31/2015 at 2:55 PM, Rocket J. Squirrel said:

I like that idea.

I achieve that now with the use of tags and note links in the related notes.

How do you achieve the connection?

It would be cool to:

1. Select two notes, press a button/shortcut key, and a link to the other note is placed in each note
  2. Select a "master" note, and then as many other notes as you like, press a button, and:
    1. A link to the master note is put in each of the other notes
    2. Links to the related notes are put in the master note.

This method is nothing new.  It has long been used in relational databases, and apps that use them.

It would be so cool if Evernote would give us a tab on each Note that is "Related Notes", and let us attach existing Notes, or create new Notes.
In fact, I'd like to see both "Related Notes" tab and "Attachments" tab.  And, BTW, there is no technical reason why each "related note" could not have multiple parent notes.  Imagine the power of that.

• Like 2
  • Level 5

The current Evernote program was released 8 years ago. The CEO encouraged users to store everything in Evernote. A few years later Evernote boosted the upper limit to 100,000 notes. 

But they never explained how they came up with that number. I am curious whether they did any extensive testing (involving combinations of text, PDF's, JPG's, DOC's, etc).

Some powerusers who reached 50,000 notes ran into data problems and expressed their frustration several times then faded away from the forum. I'd be interested if any non-business account has reached 80,000 notes successfully.

Several years ago, when I ran into data integrity issues at 30,000 notes, Evernote support suggested I purchase a 2nd account and split my notes in half. My current count is 22,823 and 19,443.

Now, I consciously try to stay in the 20,000 range per account by relying on other services - Google Keep, OneNote, Flickr, Google Photo, and Workflowy.

So, with this extensive Evernote experience, (and perhaps this is a digression) how do you compare the niche of each service? 

People are willing to pay for storage on Dropbox, Drive, Box, etc. Why would Evernote not offer tiers up to.. whatever it takes to facilitate users keeping all their notes within Evernote? I do not want to juggle multiple Evernote accounts or divvy up across various services (more than I already do, that is. 

Hey Evernote, if you're listening, I would pay more. 

• Level 5*

Got to 31,000 notes w/o any performance issues when I decided to move 5,000 notes from some old projects to a free account (never really searched them and I was getting a few false positives).  Now, back to 28,000 notes, adding about 5,000 a year. 

FWIW, 350 tags, five synced notebooks (1 prime, 2 shared, Inbox and 1 Quick notebook for notes I am bouncing around with on a project) and four local notebooks (3 by content and a Scan for imports).  My sense is I will consolidate one synced and one local notebook in the next month or so and have 7 notebooks from then.

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, Duane said:

So, with this extensive Evernote experience, (and perhaps this is a digression) how do you compare the niche of each service? 

People are willing to pay for storage on Dropbox, Drive, Box, etc. Why would Evernote not offer tiers up to.. whatever it takes to facilitate users keeping all their notes within Evernote? I do not want to juggle multiple Evernote accounts or divvy up across various services (more than I already do, that is. 

Hey Evernote, if you're listening, I would pay more. 

The issues reported in the past had less to do with the number of notes, more to do with performance at higher numbers of notes.  Though a few have reported approaching the 100k limit. 

As far as I can tell I have a decade of use before I get close to any limits, unless the performance gremlin rears its head.  And who knows what will happen in the next 10 years?  ;)

• Level 5

I don't recall reading about anyone approaching the 100K limit in the personal version of Evernote. I believe the limit can be avoided by using some of the tips offered by the power users such as spreading your data into multiple software resources. With the rapid change to a paperless environment and unimaginable massive digital storage capability in the cloud, the 100K note limit is swiftly getting smaller than it sounded a few years ago.

The future is changing rapidly. Evernote dropped their goal of  building Evernote into a '100 year company'. 

And as csihilling accurately pointed out - what will our world look like in 10 years? 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
4 minutes ago, jbenson2 said:

I don't recall reading about anyone approaching the 100K limit in the personal version of Evernote.

Yeah, somebody posted about being in the 90s, someone in the 60,s (not near 100 but larger than typically reported).  Real or not, type of notes, size of data base, who knows.

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, jbenson2 said:

BurgersNFries was the one who hit the wall at 60,000 notes. She ended up moving to OneNote, even though it has some restrictions.

For sure.  Someone else recently, I forget the thread.  IAC, 28k and still cooking.  We'll see what happens in the next year or two as I approach 40k.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...
  • Level 5*
11 minutes ago, Bob-on-Evernote said:

Here's a real neophyte question: how do you discover how many notes are in your account?  

Which OS,  which client?  Evernote Web will show you how many notes have been synced.

• Level 5*
39 minutes ago, Bob-on-Evernote said:

Here's a real neophyte question: how do you discover how many notes are in your account?  

On the Mac device/platform, the count shows in the sidebar 5a86dbc1afc35_ScreenShot2018-02-16at05_21_48.png.4354bd07abf53cd47957e1ae71a1b8ad.png

It's a preference setting
5a86dc34c18cf_ScreenShot2018-02-16at05_25_51.png.0144a5f024db84134f464db7a586b163.png

When accessing Evernote through a browser and in the Notes view, the total note count is in the top left corner.

Evernote, how many notes, browser, top left corner.JPG

When accessing Evernote in Windows, again, upper left.

Evernote, how many notes, Windows, top left corner.JPG

Having done this, I'm noticing that the two numbers across my devices are not the same. Why is this? That's a whole other question, to which I've no clue.

Oy vey.

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, Duane said:

I'm noticing that the two numbers across my devices are not the same. Why is this?

Local Notebooks?

This is a serious difference and I'd want to reconcile the numbers.  

The master version of your notes is on the server (web), and you're missing close to 200 notes.

On 2/16/2018 at 8:43 AM, DTLow said:

Local Notebooks?

This is a serious difference and I'd want to reconcile the numbers.  

The master version of your notes is on the server (web), and you're missing close to 200 notes.

Right?!

2 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Note that this only holds true when you're viewing All Notes; when viewing an individual notebook, only the count for that notebook shows.

Indeed, most noteworthy. Good on you for clarifying for us, thanks.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
On 17/02/2018 at 8:12 PM, ByteStix said:

Some of you guys are crazy. I just started Evernote, but these numbers are crazy. How long have you all been going for?

Evernote has been around for nearly 10 years.  5 or 6 posts per day over the period gets you close to 20,000 notes.  And some of us converted a library / filing system into a paperless environment,  so in some cases there was a lot of scanning over a short period,  followed by some steady additions...

• Thanks 1
On 17/02/2018 at 1:12 PM, ByteStix said:

Some of you guys are crazy. I just started Evernote, but these numbers are crazy. How long have you all been going for?

It's not a competition or race. Just a function of time and use approach. For example, sometimes I have one long note that works well as one long note. Other times, I'll break that note up into several more focused notes and the  tie them together with links. 

If, for example, you've set up a notebook for receipts that you share with your accountant, and then take picture notes of every receipt, tagged accordingly, that can ramp up note numbers pretty fast. 

Or, if you are doing research, clipping articles, taking notes on readings, again, that can add up. 

You may be taking picture notes of all your kids' report cards, drawings and paintings, maintaining an Evernote fridge door type of notebook. 

Or a renovator taking lots of before and after pictures, making notes on tough challenges and how you solved them.

The more you use Evernote, the steeper the proliferation rate. I remember when I hit the 100 note milestone, and the 1,000 note milestone. The first time I engaged this thread I was at 4,000 notes, now I'm over ~7,000

10 notes, 1000 notes, 10,000 notes, 30,000 notes. The only thing that matters is that you're getting value out of Evernote, however many notes that takes. And it's good to know that Evernote has sufficient capacity for most people's needs. 

On 2/17/2018 at 3:12 PM, ByteStix said:

Following shows my journey. I did not really use it much in 2013 and 2014 as shown, in 2015 I put the effort into it and I must say after 2016 I saw a huge habit change and now I "get" it. It is customized to my liking and needs and works really nicely. Once you realize how easily you can retrieve things (for me especially with tags) then you start capturing even more. Right now averaging 12-13 notes a day and I have 12,200+ notes.

Like @Duane said, it is not competition and to be honest, the number of notes does not really matter if you cannot set it up that you cannot retrieve it when you need it. Otherwise, anybody can dump anything into it and reach the 100,000 note mark but like anything else if the information is not retrievable, you don't technically have it.

PS! This chart was already in Evernote, was not updated in 2018 but was easy to retrieve. 

image.png.5c4d11903bf20da25859bc6dffa06aaa.png

• Level 5*
On 2/17/2018 at 1:12 PM, ByteStix said:

Since November of 2009.  Currently at 36,300 plus 5,800 notes moved to a free account from completed projects.  So a little over 42,000 notes in 8 plus years.  Per @TK0047 it is not a race, it is use case based. 

I decided to really go paperless so just about every statement, manual, whatever ends up in EN.  Add to that GTD and meeting/project/phone stuff and the count just builds.  I suppose there are some older notes I could prune, but the juice just isn't worth the squeeze for me, as long as I can find things quickly.  FWIW.

• Like 2
47 minutes ago, CalS said:

Since November of 2009.  Currently at 36,300 plus 5,800 notes moved to a free account from completed projects.  So a little over 42,000 notes in 8 plus years.  Per @TK0047 it is not a race, it is use case based. 

I decided to really go paperless so just about every statement, manual, whatever ends up in EN.  Add to that GTD and meeting/project/phone stuff and the count just builds.  I suppose there are some older notes I could prune, but the juice just isn't worth the squeeze for me, as long as I can find things quickly.  FWIW.

Hey CalS-Super-G:  thanks for the numbers and the encouraging perspective on EN's amazing capacity.   I thought I was radically stuffing EN with just 2,164 notes, but...gosh... I've got a big blue sky yet to fill.   I agree with a recent blog that said the more you use EN, the more you love it.   I, too, am ridding my life of paper.  It's addicting. 

• Like 1

I was always curious how I fit into the usage curve - as of this moment, I have 17,849 notes with about 380 tags since April 9, 2010.

I would estimate 50% of my notes come from my web clips or forwarded emails from my inbox.

At the rate I'm going I might hit the max. in 10 years - but that is not that far off. I figure by then the underlying Evernote database technology and certainly the underlying Evernote infrastructure will change and remove those limits. I put a lot of pictures I want to keep a long time into Evernote - would like to add video, and I'm sure that would really bump up the storage needs - my guess is that Evernote will hold off on video storage for some time.

I actually refer to my Evernote as my external brain pack. (Kudos to Dilbert for the term).

Keep up the great work Evernote!  :D

On 2/22/2018 at 11:55 AM, CalS said:

I image all papers now - come tax time, it's great to pass the statements and documents via links to my accountant.

• Like 1
On 2/21/2018 at 8:58 PM, TK0047 said:

Following shows my journey. I did not really use it much in 2013 and 2014 as shown, in 2015 I put the effort into it and I must say after 2016 I saw a huge habit change and now I "get" it. It is customized to my liking and needs and works really nicely. Once you realize how easily you can retrieve things (for me especially with tags) then you start capturing even more. Right now averaging 12-13 notes a day and I have 12,200+ notes.

Like @Duane said, it is not competition and to be honest, the number of notes does not really matter if you cannot set it up that you cannot retrieve it when you need it. Otherwise, anybody can dump anything into it and reach the 100,000 note mark but like anything else if the information is not retrievable, you don't technically have it.

PS! This chart was already in Evernote, was not updated in 2018 but was easy to retrieve. 

image.png.5c4d11903bf20da25859bc6dffa06aaa.png

best presentation of note trending ever!

• Thanks 1
On 3/3/2018 at 3:48 PM, from92714 said:

I've got close to 100k on my first account (since 2008) and a little over 46,000 on my second account (since 2014).

Wow. I remember when I thought 1,000 notes was a lot. Then, before you know it, I hit 5,000. I'm hovering just under 8,000 notes right now - 100,000 is breathtaking. NIce to see Evernote has that kind of capacity, I've got lots of room to grow!

Granted, number of notes and size of notes is not the same thing. Some notes are very small in size; others can be quite large. So, count of notes is just one measure, but not the only one.

Regardless, whether number or size, the message seems clear - Evernote can grow with you.

• 1 year later...
  • Level 5

I started using Evernote as my second brain 11 years ago as my surrogate memory or answering the question “When did X happen?”

Due to the number of notes, I do not use the phone version or the web version. Everything is done on the desktop version on my computer. Tags and a structured title are vital for locating specific notes.

In 2014 I began encountering the dreaded "Evernote (not responding)" problem. To kill some time I would go to the kitchen and make a cup of coffee and return.

After several unsuccessful Support requests, a higher level tech person suggested I split my notes into 2 Evernote accounts. Transferring notes from my primary account to my secondary account took several months due to the Basic version cap restriction.

It's not as bad now, but I do still run into the Evernote (not responding) problem when I open Evernote in the morning. So my work-around solution is to keep the program running all day long and never shut it down.

My secondary account (Basic Evernote) includes archived stuff and 10 years of political web clippings from a variety of sources.

My Current Note Count:
Premium account = 29,299 (1,500 tags)
Basic account = 23,800

• Level 5*

Since my first post in this thread my note count has risen to 43,277.  Still have instantaneous response time 99.9% of the time (I've learned to not back space in searches).

• Level 5*

Currently just north of 46,500 notes,  but I seem to remember posts in the Forums years ago about users hitting the maximum number of notes - which is a stunning 100,000.  There are some serious people out there - obviously too busy creating notes to post comments here...

• Level 5*
On 8/15/2019 at 11:53 PM, Franthonyreyes13@gmail.com said:

I had gotten used to the lag, if there is, if there is any. 

No lag on my Mac;
On Macs, the note metadata is stored in a small SQLite database (25MB for 20,000 notes)1622416937_ScreenShot2019-08-17at12_14_16.png.3e47320852a1bf9925a251609997f44c.png
afaik   Number of notes is not a performance issue for Mac users

• 4 weeks later...

I'm going I might hit the max. in 10 years - but that is not that far off. I figure by then the underlying Evernote database technology and certainly the underlying Evernote infrastructure will change and remove those limits. I put a lot of pictures I want to keep a long time into Evernote - would like to add video, and I'm sure that would really bump up the storage needs - my guess is that Evernote will hold off on video storage for some time.