REQUEST: Unlimited total notes

When I started using Evernote nearly a decade ago, the 100.000 total note limit felt pretty unattainable. However, after using this product as a bucket for everything over the years I'm apparently there, and I would guess that I'm not completely alone.

I've brought this up with the EN support and the "solutions" I have been suggested are to either delete notes, export data out of Evernote (!) or open another account. One of the strengths with this platform is that you get to have everything searchable in one place, so none of these recommendations really solve the problem. 

What I've heard there seems to be no plans on raising the note limit, not even if you'd like to pay for it. It's reasonable that EN put limits on the size of note attachments and the amount of notebooks, tags, saved searches, but isn't it counterproductive to have a note-taking app that limits the amount of notes you can create?

If Evernote still is aiming to be around in a 100 years it may be about time to adjust the note limitation accordingly.

• Level 5*
On April 23, 2016 at 6:38 AM, phaeaco said:

When I started using Evernote nearly a decade ago, the 100.000 total note limit felt pretty unattainable. However, after using this product as a bucket for everything over the years I'm apparently there, and I would guess that I'm not completely alone.

Are you willing to pay the extra cost for this?
Evernote does offer a service (Business) that allows 500,000 notes.

My feeling is that offering an unlimited service will be abused by some users.
This abuse will lead to system overload, and this will impact all of us.

Personally, I'm not worried about the 100,000 limit.
I'm a long way from hitting this,
and I'm sure my current devices would choke on that amount of data. (that will probably be resolved when I get to that many notes)

On 4/23/2016 at 10:38 AM, phaeaco said:

When I started using Evernote nearly a decade ago, the 100.000 total note limit felt pretty unattainable. However, after using this product as a bucket for everything over the years I'm apparently there...

On 4/23/2016 at 11:57 AM, DTLow said:

Personally, I'm not worried about the 100,000 limit. I'm a long way from this.

If you're planning to live at least a decade longer, @DTLow...

1. Clip this thread to Evernote
  2. Set a reminder for 10 years from now...
  3. ... 
  4.  Message to future @DTLow:
    • "How are things looking for you now?"
  • Level 5*
39 minutes ago, Frank.dg said:

If you're planning to live at least a decade longer

For planning purpose - I don't have an end date

Of course the note limit is important.  
If it was a relative small limit, I would have not committed to Evernote.
In the current environment. I feel the 100,000/500,000 note limit is a reasonable number.

>> Set a reminder for 10 years from now... "How are things looking for you now?"
I will be ok; I may have upgraded to the next tier.  I'll have no regrets.

Nice that you'll have no regrets... but you're losing sight of the fact that @phaeaco started this thread... and he/she along with a growing number of ordinary Evernote users have either already come up against this limit or are steadily approaching. This is going to increasingly become more of an issue as we approach 2020. AND... Evernote push fantastic features like their mail-to Evernote thing as well as the web clipper, GB's of monthly upload limit, blog about IFTTT, etc, etc... which adds fuel to the fire.

Incidentally, you'll often see tethered to the whole tag-based Evernote setup, advice on breaking notes into smaller ones and using tags to organize. Also, you'll see this mentioned as a workaround for the lack of an anchor points tool in Evernote (Actually you support this workaround), which would help with really long notes. Seems like you can't have your cake and eat it... for if one were to implement these practical workarounds, they'd only be coming up against their note limit much sooner rather than later. 

Its quite nice that the current limits suit your current situation. They suit me just fine too... but I haven't yet reached my advanced stages of life yet. I plan to be around much longer, and I'd like to have my notes in one Evernote account. Evernote Business, while having a 500,000 note limit was not designed with personal use in mind. 

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Frank.dg said:

Evernote Business, while having a 500,000 note limit was not designed with personal use in mind. 

You might be right, probably that's why they called it Business.
Regardless, if I had over 100,000 notes, I would give consideration to upgrading to this tier - its all thats available currently, but I'm sure that will change by 2020

Upgrading your tier is best suggestion I can give for exceeding the limits.

>>Incidentally, you'll often see tethered to the whole tag-based Evernote setup, advice on breaking notes into smaller ones
Not very relevent to this discussion - its true that I feel Evernote works better with smaller notes, and recommend splitting larger notes

Very relevant indeed, @DTLow. It's an example of encouraging people to significantly increase their note count (amongst many other dynamics) in the face of an ever-present note limit when looking at sustained use of Evernote over years. The fact that you are a proponent of this and having quoted a post of yours is incidental. Edited after the fact. So users are encouraged to break bigger notes down into smaller one(s)... Very relevant. 2020 or whatever projected date is irrelevant for those who have already hit 100,000 notes. 

• 1 year later...

Interesting topic. I was referred from another topic, that's how I found this older discussion. 

Not that you guys are curious or care, but according to my averages which is 12 notes per day creation, I will need 20.50 years to reach 100,000 from 12K notes today. I guess I will cross that bridge in 20 years and hopefully I am retired. :) 

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, TK0047 said:

I will need 20.50 years to reach 100,000 from 12K notes today. I guess I will cross that bridge in 20 years

I'm in the same boat, but recognize the timeframe may be shorter for other users.

My concern is that today's hardware can't handle that volume of data.  We need the time for advancements in technology.

Archived