MORE MISSING ATTACHMENTS (brought to you with love by Bending Spoons)

39 minutes ago, eric99 said:

why does the enex export tool silently ignores these errors? please ask EN to make the enex export throw decent error messages to the user in case it can't retrieve the attachment from the server.The user then at least knows what's missing and can try to recover it from history or backup

As far as I know the export side of things hasn't been rewritten yet. Reading between the lines they may have to finish the local database rewrite and other stuff before looking at that. I'm like to see improvements including Word Doc exports.

36 minutes ago, Jon/t said:

I'm like to see improvements including Word Doc exports.

Indeed, the ability to export to standard formats is what keeps me committed to Evernote.

• Level 5*

I'm also assuming that Big Things are in the pipeline, and Evernote is taking the usual corporate route of not pre-announcing because 1) it helps the competition and 2) is likely to spark off more arguments and demands for new features other than the ones in development. 

I've not (AFAIK) been affected by the anonymous file issue - maybe because of my relatively new devices,  my 'expertise',  or my workflows;  not saying it's not real,  but without an active Support team dealing with individual cases,  it's hard to know whether or not this is a serious issue.

For what it's worth,  my suggestion is always to report issues you find - from my experience running a support team (and regardless of whether you get any response) the sheer number of reports on any given topic will drive company priorities.  In normal circumstances not getting a quick reaction means it's likely that your issue is not a common one... although given recent experience it's easy to believe otherwise.

Big corporates don't always have the same priorities as individual users - the Spooners have taken on more companies than 'just' Evernote,  and the support team may be the least of their current concerns.  They have to take whatever decisions they deem best for their interests,  and as users,  so do we. 

I'm not currently affected by any serious issues,  so I'm staying with Evernote.  If you have a different experience but can find work-arounds,  then your decision may be harder;  if there are no usable work-arounds then plenty here can (apparently) suggest alternative systems...  entirely your choice.  :mellow:

20 minutes ago, gazumped said:

I'm not currently affected by any serious issues,  so I'm staying with Evernote.  If you have a different experience but can find work-arounds,  then your decision may be harder;  if there are no usable work-arounds then plenty here can (apparently) suggest alternative systems...  entirely your choice.  :mellow:

You're absolutely right. My "problem" is I want to STAY with Evernote 🙂 . I want Evernote to be a good app. That makes the deafening silence from EN customer support so frustrating. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
47 minutes ago, CFT said:

That makes the deafening silence from EN customer support so frustrating. 

I sympathise with the frustration.  The folks at Evernote seem pretty smart - @Jon/t and others have alluded to a major database revamp that is presumably under way,  and it may be that actively poking the systems is what's contributing to the issue;  the company presumably believe that once the final version is released it will be the cure for all our woes,  but they're not going to announce that in advance in case that isn't the case. 

I believe that there's a lot of work going on in the background that we haven't seen the benefit of - yet;  but like I said - you need to hold on if you can,  or find an alternative if you can't.  Ranting may relieve some tensions,  but it won't get anything done faster   ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, gazumped said:

believe that there's a lot of work going on in the background that we haven't seen the benefit of - yet

Yeah. Once the RENT and Conduit projects are live you should be a difference. There's a blog post that talks more about these projects.

https://evernote.com/blog/2023-recap#:~:text=disrupting existing workflows.-,Technology,-As we continue

@mackid1993 just heard back that they know about the forum post, know about the issue and its being worked on. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
55 minutes ago, Jon/t said:

Yeah. Once the RENT and Conduit projects are live you should be a difference. There's a blog post that talks more about these projects.

https://evernote.com/blog/2023-recap#:~:text=disrupting existing workflows.-,Technology,-As we continue

@mackid1993 just heard back that they know about the forum post, know about the issue and its being worked on. 

That's great. Thanks for your help!

• Like 2
  • Evernote Staff

👋 Gigi from Evernote here 

Thank you everyone for flagging these issues—we're aware of the problem and as working on fixing it with the highest priority. Would you be willing to share some more information about your missing attachments? If yes, please DM me here in the forum with the following information:

• Note GUID (you can find it in the URL after opening the note) and, if possible, the title of the missing attachment
  • The attempts you've already taken to recover the attachment
  • If this behaviour persistent or comes and goes

Thank you! 🙏

• Like 8
7 hours ago, Jon/t said:

Pretty sure they've seen it.

It is very odd as it only half dozen folk seem to have the problem. I'm not seeing it at all and I spent some time at the weekend organising photos into notebooks and uploaded 300/400 images and I've checked and everything is expected. I also attach many client files every day and never had an issue.

My community is also a few thousand strong and no one has mentioned this, other experts have larger communities than me and there's no chatter about this happening on the expert forums. Guarantee you there'd be lots of chat if files were going missing!

I've asked the question and mentioned it but can't file a bug report as I can't reproduce it and send logs.

The point is that it is very likely that many people don't even know that they are missing attachments in older notes. I found this out by accident because I was go to oldrer note ( 6 months old). And it happened to me a couple of times with a couple of recent notes as well.

I have about 7000 notes, and with that many it's more of a coincidence to come across the wrong notes. I hit. But a lot of people may never even look at the old notes, so they live in sweet ignorance and a sense of security.

And I'm certainly not going to go through note by note now.

And at the beginning, when it happened to me a couple of times, I didn't write here right away .. there was no time and the attachments were not important.

That way some people can react... because they will evaluate that maybe they themselves messed up...

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, ferol said:

The point is that it is very likely that many people don't even know that they are missing attachments in older notes. I found this out by accident because I was go to oldrer note ( 6 months old). And it happened to me a couple of times with a couple of recent notes as well.

I have about 7000 notes, and with that many it's more of a coincidence to come across the wrong notes. I hit. But a lot of people may never even look at the old notes, so they live in sweet ignorance and a sense of security.

And at the beginning, when it happened to me a couple of times, I didn't write here right away .. there was no time and the attachments were not important.

That way some people can react... because they will evaluate that maybe they themselves messed up...

This is so true, and my thoughts EXACTLY!

2 minutes ago, mackid1993 said:

@FredJ @idoc @ferol See @Gianluigi Oliva's post! If they can get a few examples of affected notes they should be able to resolve this issue for you.

How do we get exact examples to them?  Last i tried, i could not even submit a ticket.  Also these should all be grouped together somehow so somebody can look at them to find maybe some commonality to the problem.

• Level 5*
3 minutes ago, FredJ said:

This is so true, and my thoughts EXACTLY!

If we're going to spend all our time Golluming through old notes,  no-one is going to get any work done!  If you find an issue,  report it!  Until then,  assume nothing is wrong - or find another provider.

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, FredJ said:

How do we get exact examples to them?  Last i tried, i could not even submit a ticket.

It says in the post to DM with the GUID of the note, whats missing and what you've done to try and recover things.

Don't ignore this... send info. I can't because I have never seen the issue.

7 minutes ago, Jon/t said:

It says in the post to DM with the GUID of the note, whats missing and what you've done to try and recover things.

Don't ignore this... send info. I can't because I have never seen the issue.

I can't either because my affected notes came back on their own. We need people who have notes with missing data to send this information in. 

34 minutes ago, ferol said:

Please give him a few examples. They will figure out the root cause and hopefully fix all of your notes so you don't have to manually sift through them. 

22 minutes ago, mackid1993 said:

I can't either because my affected notes came back on their own. We need people who have notes with missing data to send this information in. 

I would send info in anyway and say the notes came back after XXX amount of time. They'll be able to check their logs and see whats been happening.

4 minutes ago, Jon/t said:

I would send info in anyway and say the notes came back after XXX amount of time. They'll be able to check their logs and see whats been happening.

Way ahead of you, I dm'ed him.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, FredJ said:

I random hunted for an hour and found another, so I've reported 3 now.

Fred

That's awesome!! More examples the better chance they have at finding the cause and fixing it across the board. There is NO way they don't keep backups, you'll get your data back!

1 minute ago, mackid1993 said:

That's awesome!! More examples the better chance they have at finding the cause and fixing it across the board.

You should get some kind of an award for all of this!
Thanks!

• Like 1

Is there a similar support service offer for lost images? I stopped trusting EN with attachments when this particular problem was first noted a while ago, but I do have recent instances of lost images, where a spinning circle has taken their place. The spinning circle issue has been reported by multiple people in several different threads here in the forums.

6 hours ago, Gianluigi Oliva said:

👋 Gigi from Evernote here 

Thank you everyone for flagging these issues—we're aware of the problem and as working on fixing it with the highest priority. Would you be willing to share some more information about your missing attachments? If yes, please DM me here in the forum with the following information:

• Note GUID (you can find it in the URL after opening the note) and, if possible, the title of the missing attachment
  • The attempts you've already taken to recover the attachment
  • If this behaviour persistent or comes and goes

Thank you! 🙏

@thefryhole See above, an image is an attachment. DM @Gianluigi Oliva the information requested so the team can fix this issue!

35 minutes ago, ferol said:

I send DM with my note problem.. Thanks

Great, your example is definitely an evernote bug since this inconsistency can't be generated by accidental deletion by the end-user:

Enex consistency check by html4ever:

Thunderbird nastavenia
      Error:  resource not found with hash: 7c1d8c729a0a5792c1a7422e823817bc
      Error:  resource not found with hash: 62aba1b64443d916f97b45ec76b2567d

Errors=2   totalNotes=1, totalLinks=0, invalidLinks=0

I heard from Gigi, he is working on this already. He let me know that he'll update the thread once he has more info to share. He also indicated at first look the files appear to still be on their backend. So it seems that they simply aren't displaying correctly, which is very good news thus far.

• Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, eric99 said:

Great, your example is definitely an evernote bug since this inconsistency can't be generated by accidental deletion by the end-user:

Enex consistency check by html4ever:

Thunderbird nastavenia
      Error:  resource not found with hash: 7c1d8c729a0a5792c1a7422e823817bc
      Error:  resource not found with hash: 62aba1b64443d916f97b45ec76b2567d

Errors=2   totalNotes=1, totalLinks=0, invalidLinks=0

looks like problem in Evernote . this is first answer from DM:

image.png.258fdd7219263931d4bed7c861baa2f9.png

1 minute ago, ferol said:

looks like problem in Evernote . this is first answer from DM:

image.png.258fdd7219263931d4bed7c861baa2f9.png

I got the same message. This makes me feel better, our data is most likely secure. I bet this is caused by the new FIles mode!

• Like 2
35 minutes ago, mackid1993 said:

I got the same message. This makes me feel better, our data is most likely secure. I bet this is caused by the new FIles mode!

I also received a similar message, so it's looking positive as to getting a fix!!!

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, eric99 said:

Enex consistency check by html4ever

I think you have mentioned that the code isn't ready for prime time yet, but when it is, and if you are so inclined, I'm sure others will be interested.

On 5/23/2024 at 10:46 PM, mackid1993 said:

@eric99 is your tool published on Github?

My project is currently private on GitHub, but I might consider making it public if there’s enough interest. In that case I’ll need to further develop and refine it first.There’s a significant distinction between creating something solely for myself and contributing to the broader community. 😊

Here’s the feature list for html4ever, my Enex to HTML converter (these features are missing in V10 html):

• Working attachments links, including relative note links to other HTML notes.
  • Backlinks to notes.
  • All image types are embedded or navigable, including TIFF files.
  • Same image sizes as in the original note.
  • decryption of encrypted text
  • All note information is shown in an info table, including create and update time, source, location (full address where the note was created), and corresponding URL to Google Maps. Tags are also listed, starting with ‘#’ to allow for easy searching.
  • Dark theme option (in progress).
  • Very compact and readable HTML: a single-line note is converted to 1 KB HTML, while this takes 355 KB in V10 HTML.
  • In case you lost a specific note, you may extract this single note from the enex into HTML

• My converter generates a report about ENEX file consistency problems, such as untitled notes, missing attachments
  • The result is a folder structure containing HTML notes and their resources, similar to the V10 HTML export folder. The difference is that notes may link to each other and their attachments. So it acts as a mini website on your local disk, or you can even host it on your private server if you like.
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, eric99 said:

My project is currently private on GitHub, but I might consider making it public if there’s enough interest. In that case I’ll need to further develop and refine it first.There’s a significant distinction between creating something solely for myself and contributing to the broader community. 😊

I'd definitely be interested in checking the integrity of my notes given this issue. I don't seem to be missing anything now but I was for a while.

13 minutes ago, mackid1993 said:

I'd definitely be interested in checking the integrity of my notes given this issue. I don't seem to be missing anything now but I was for a while.

It's definitely unsettling to 'not know' what notes are missing attachments, and that would be a huge for me!

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, eric99 said:

Here’s the feature list for html4ever, my Enex to HTML converter (these features are missing in V10 html):

• Working attachments links, including relative note links to other HTML notes.
  • Backlinks to notes.
  • All image types are embedded or navigable, including TIFF files.
  • Same image sizes as in the original note.
  • decryption of encrypted text
  • All note information is shown in an info table, including create and update time, source, location (full address where the note was created), and corresponding URL to Google Maps. Tags are also listed, starting with ‘#’ to allow for easy searching.
  • Dark theme option (in progress).
  • Very compact and readable HTML: a single-line note is converted to 1 KB HTML, while this takes 355 KB in V10 HTML.
  • My converter generates a report about ENEX file consistency problems, such as untitled notes.
  • The result is a folder structure containing HTML notes and their resources, similar to the V10 HTML export folder. The difference is that notes may link to each other and their attachments. So it acts as a mini website on your local disk, or you can even host it on your private server if you like.

That all sounds really cool, even just for having a human readable backup.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, eric99 said:

if there’s enough interest. In that case I’ll need to further develop and refine it first

Why??? That’s never stopped Evernote.

Couldn’t resist 😀.

• Haha 3
4 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

Why??? That’s never stopped Evernote.

Couldn’t resist 😀.

Wow shots fired! But seriously, I hope Evernote slows down and tests things more too.

• Thanks 1

Is there any confirmation that Gigi is an actual EN/BS employee? I almost feel silly but I'm not comfortable DM'ing a new member of the forums that I've never heard of before. I have experienced this many times and have opened tickets, what are those tickets for if not to help BS get the issue solved?

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Paul A. said:

Is there any confirmation that Gigi is an actual EN/BS employee? I almost feel silly but I'm not comfortable DM'ing a new member of the forums that I've never heard of before. I have experienced this many times and have opened tickets, what are those tickets for if not to help BS get the issue solved?

You're safe. https://theorg.com/org/bending-spoons/org-chart/gianluigi-oliva

3 hours ago, Paul A. said:

Is there any confirmation that Gigi is an actual EN/BS employee? I almost feel silly but I'm not comfortable DM'ing a new member of the forums that I've never heard of before

Yeah - and you'd expect them to have a "Staff" below their profile pic (or on their home profile page) like you can see in this last post of Federico's:

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Paul A. said:

Evernote seems not to follow this forum, so it would be quite easy to create a false profile and act as a representative for EN. I don't believe it's the case here, but some form for formal identification (and also more active participation!) would be a good idea.

And this goes for other official EN channels also! E.g. on Evernote facebook page there is somebody freely spreading false Evernote contact email, without the company stopping it.

• Sad 1
4 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

You know that every employee has the word „Staff“ on their forum badge ? You can’t place it there yourself.

The rest is „meet our mods“ 😱

Right, except for the person purporting to be an Evernote employee and asking people to DM them details. With an account that just got created and has made one post ever.

image.thumb.png.00d6b61b9229cc98ab543040bb0ad6b5.png

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5

The range of a spamming attempt is quite limited, before the forum account gets nuked.

What seems out of the normal with this posting is that it refers to a Teams subscription. Usually spammers are on Free.

We will see.

• Level 5*

<Sigh> - Gift horse:  mouth:  both @Jon/t and I have confirmation through 'other channels' that Evernote has eyes on this thread.  You can take the help that's being offered,  or you can choose to continue in conspiracy mode.  Your choice...

• Like 2
1 minute ago, gazumped said:

both @Jon/t and I have confirmation through 'other channels' that Evernote has eyes on this thread.

Yep - but not all read everything. It's far better to have some (more) Staff members available in an open mode... 👍

• Like 1
11 hours ago, mackid1993 said:

That all sounds really cool, even just for having a human readable backup.

That’s precisely why I created it—our paperless office needs to remain accessible for the next 100 years: html4ever !

2 hours ago, gazumped said:

<Sigh> - Gift horse:  mouth:  both @Jon/t and I have confirmation through 'other channels' that Evernote has eyes on this thread.  You can take the help that's being offered,  or you can choose to continue in conspiracy mode.  Your choice...

This is case in point why staff avoids this forum. 

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, mackid1993 said:

I'd far rather have staff engaged in Support or Development than explaining or defending features here - plus it's always difficult to comment publicly on issues if you're aware of background information that you're not supposed to share (another old t-shirt I have somewhere...).  When users can get a timely reply (like within 10 days) after contacting Support,  the lack of presences here should be less critical.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*

A little bit of forum engagement would go a long way.  I wouldn’t expect them to debate features but acknowledging problems, like they have recently done, help us to know they are aware of a problem.  At one time they would publicly state that even if they didn’t respond, every post was read.  This forum isn’t that active.  It would be nice if they could get back to that.  

• Like 4
1 hour ago, s2sailor said:

A little bit of forum engagement would go a long way.  I wouldn’t expect them to debate features but acknowledging problems, like they have recently done, help us to know they are aware of a problem.  At one time they would publicly state that even if they didn’t respond, every post was read.  This forum isn’t that active.  It would be nice if they could get back to that.  

I think the general messaging around the forum could do with a change and update. Its always been a "User Community" but apart from the title text in the tab this info isn't really pushed which makes most folk think its an official support forum. Obviously support is available from other users but none of us here can process a refund or anything quite like that.

Love to see it pushed as a user community where folks can ask more about organisation, how to use Evernote rather than ranting uncontrollably that some button has changed colour or moved 6 pixels to the left ;) 

• Like 3
11 minutes ago, Jon/t said:

I think the general messaging around the forum could do with a change and update. Its always been a "User Community" but apart from the title text in the tab this info isn't really pushed which makes most folk think its an official support forum. Obviously support is available from other users but none of us here can process a refund or anything quite like that.

Love to see it pushed as a user community where folks can ask more about organisation, how to use Evernote rather than ranting uncontrollably that some button has changed colour or moved 6 pixels to the left ;) 

We need clearer rules for the moderators and the ability for them to be enforced to quiet down the ranting.

• Like 3
  • Level 5*
38 minutes ago, mackid1993 said:

We need clearer rules for the moderators and the ability for them to be enforced to quiet down the ranting.

We do have some abilities - I can delete both posts and -if pressed- people;  but the rules of engagement are a bit lacking.  I felt (a tiny bit) guilty today deleting someone's post that had a hidden link to their own commercial website - I've not given them a direct warning,  but today it was the post - if it happens again it'll be the user.  

I'd only say - if anyone sees a post that is obviously spam,  or gets some personal abuse,  feel free to report it and/ or DM me or @s2sailor - we seem to be the active mods at present.

I already suggested some rule changes,  and I gather there's some internal thinking going on about ways to make the Forums more accessible (and less scary) for new users.  It's a question of waiting for Evernote's lead,  but the Mods do have an inside line where we can pass suggestions on - and this thread is already being watched more closely than most;  so they're already aware things can get out of hand.

I'm expecting the  "but I preferred the old Forum" posts to start before the end of the year...  ^_^

• Like 1
Just now, gazumped said:

We do have some abilities - I can delete both posts and -if pressed- people;  but the rules of engagement are a bit lacking.  I felt (a tiny bit) guilty today deleting someone's post that had a hidden link to their own commercial website - I've not given them a direct warning,  but today it was the post - if it happens again it'll be the user.  

I'd only say - if anyone sees a post that is obviously spam,  or gets some personal abuse,  feel free to report it and/ or DM me or @s2sailor - we seem to be the active mods at present.

I already suggested some rule changes,  and I gather there's some internal thinking going on about ways to make the Forums more accessible (and less scary) for new users.  It's a question of waiting for Evernote's lead,  but the Mods do have an inside line where we can pass suggestions on - and this thread is already being watched more closely than most;  so they're already aware things can get out of hand.

I'm expecting the  "but I preferred the old Forum" posts to start before the end of the year...  ^_^

It also seems like you could use more mods, two active mods probably isn't enough.

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, mackid1993 said:

It also seems like you could use more mods, two active mods probably isn't enough.

There's two levels of additional support - more experienced members members such as yourself have been known to pass links and comments back when things have gotten a bit spicy,  and there's the Report button system for everyone which goes back to the employee admin team who seem to take action now and then...  I did think about asking for volunteers,  but again I think any 'official' offers have to be made by Evernote - I don't know what their longer-term plans are.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, gazumped said:

There's two levels of additional support - more experienced members members such as yourself have been known to pass links and comments back when things have gotten a bit spicy,  and there's the Report button system for everyone which goes back to the employee admin team who seem to take action now and then...  I did think about asking for volunteers,  but again I think any 'official' offers have to be made by Evernote - I don't know what their longer-term plans are.

Hopefully they invest more in this community and clean it up a bit. It could be a really good way to take some pressure off official support if it were less scary.

2 minutes ago, mackid1993 said:

It could be a really good way to take some pressure off official support if it were less scary.

Yes, needs to be more calm and welcoming.

With all the new functionality there's going to be an influx of folk, young folk, who find EN for the first time wanting advice of old folks 👴

• Like 4
7 minutes ago, Jon/t said:

With all the new functionality there's going to be an influx of folk, young folk, who find EN for the first time wanting advice of old folks 👴

We need an updated code of conduct that everyone must agree to, and swift warning and then bans for violations.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, gazumped said:

I find your "sighs" and such quite unhelpful. Nowhere in this thread (since Gigi posted) did either of you confirm that you both had independent confirmation that Gigi is an active employee. And in any case, you shouldn't have to, it should be clearly communicated. Which it is now, so let's move on.

4 hours ago, mackid1993 said:

4 hours ago, ChristianJB said:

Fully agree, unfortunately ...

Ridiculous. One reason they might avoid this forum is because the signal-to-noise ratio is off, as it is in this thread with more than a dozen off-topic comments following Gigi confirming that he is in fact an Evernote employee.

8 minutes ago, Jon/t said:

I could not agree more. Some of the "old hands" on this forum are rude and acerbic to users, which doesn't help create the kind of community we could all benefit from.

Back on topic:

It's interesting that folks like Jon say they've never experienced it and don't see anyone in their community of thousands complaining about it. I wonder what the factors are that cause people like me to experience it multiple times? 

It would be helpful if Evernote could provide a way to find all instances of "Untitled Attachment" files in our databases. I have repeatedly run into this bug ever since the migration to RTE, but I know of no way of searching my database for all instances of these files. I've tried using the "Files" view but that hasn't helped me find any (and currently the files view isn't working at all for me - just a spinning wheel for minutes).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5*

Clearer rules are always helpful, but I will offer up that most of the problems start with someone's response to a post.  Many posts are in the gray area.  We do tend to be lenient, but we are not always here 24/7 so sometimes numerous posts occur before we see them, and by then the thread is well down the rabbit hole.  

Some folks here tend to be very defensive and others come off (intentionally or not) as caustic.  If we can all avoid responding to trolls it will help and will not give them any traction.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
15 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

Clearer rules are always helpful, but I will offer up that most of the problems start with someone's response to a post.  Many posts are in the gray area.  We do tend to be lenient, but we are not always here 24/7 so sometimes numerous posts occur before we see them, and by then the thread is well down the rabbit hole.  

Some folks here tend to be very defensive and others come off (intentionally or not) as caustic.  If we can all avoid responding to trolls it will help and will not give them any traction.

I agree and I'll admit to at times getting "fed up" and not being as welcoming as I should.

I participate in several forums and this is one of the most helpful, most civil and pleasant ones out there.  No reason to raise a big fuss about nothing.  There are several contributors on this forum who are amazingly helpful and who sometimes dispense their knowledge with a little bit of "acerbity".  Personally I find this to be delightful and part of the enjoyment of being on this forum.  In most cases the acerbity is not gratuitous and is delivered in a manner designed to be firm but helpful at the same time.  So let's just get back to the business of sharing and helping one another.  I agree with the advice of not responding to trolls and would suggest that it is in our best interest to not discourage our illuminati or Evernote staff.

• Like 2

@Paul A. Good call. I wondered if I was missing some comments because the jump from questioning if a regular forum user was indeed an Evernote employee (in order to be able to help with the subject of the thread) to the off-topic accusations and continued off-topic comments that followed (especially after the staff update to the profile -- which wouldn't have happened without the question to begin with) had me scratching my head.

Thanks for trying to bring the thread back on-topic.

• Thanks 1

Yup, I agree this thread should be focused on reporting missing attachments and providing Gigi with any information that may be helpful in solving this issue. Maybe it would be best for @gazumped or @s2sailor to delete some of these prior comments including this one to help keep this important thread focused.

2 hours ago, Paul A. said:

It would be helpful if Evernote could provide a way to find all instances of "Untitled Attachment" files in our databases.

The simple solution would be to export all your notes to enex and look at the error messages. Unfortunately the enex export tool silently ignores the missing attachment  errors.

So, let the enex export tool show decent error messages in case it can't retrieve the attachment from the server.The user then at least knows what's missing and can report it or try to recover it...

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
32 minutes ago, mackid1993 said:

Maybe it would be best for @gazumped or @s2sailor to delete some of these prior comments including this one to help keep this important thread focused.

If we started to delete off-topic comments on the forums, 75% of the forum would disappear 🙂.  We could move them around and organize them better, but from prior experience that is a lot of work with, IMO, little gain.  I can safely say that everyone here, myself included, has likely posted an off-topic comment or gone off on a tangent at one time or another.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just to give everyone some peace of mind it seems that there are potentially a couple of issues that are preventing Evernote from retrieving data from the server. My issue where the attachments came back may have a different root cause then @FredJ or @ferol but the same end result except mine comes back. I dm'ed with Gigi and he was awesome, we are in very good hands here!

I would also assume he is based in Italy where Bending Spoons is located so if so he is working very late on a Friday to get this fixed since I'm in New York! That's dedication!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Just to give everyone some peace of mind it seems that there are potentially a couple of issues that are preventing Evernote from retrieving data from the server. My issue where the attachments came back may have a different root cause then @FredJ or @ferol but the same end result except mine comes back. I dm'ed with Gigi and he was awesome, we are in very good hands here!

I would also assume he is based in Italy where Bending Spoons is located so if so he is working very late on a Friday to get this fixed since I'm in New York! That's dedication!

I agree with you, I've been back and forth with him quite a number of times as he's gathering information and he's been great and fast to respond etc so I think we are in good hands finally!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, FredJ said:

I agree with you, I've been back and forth with him quite a number of times as he's gathering information and he's been great and fast to respond etc so I think we are in good hands finally!

This will get resolved. It seems like they just have to figure out what's broken. He said my issue has to due with the legacy system so I'm guessing something on the server side broke as they are decommissioning legacy. It seems like the timeline of legacy shutting down and reports of missing attachments kind of lines up. 

• Like 1
On 5/25/2024 at 5:15 AM, mackid1993 said:

It seems like the timeline of legacy shutting down and reports of missing attachments kind of lines up. 

Hm, I got missing attachments long before Legacy sync was discontinued and as far as I remember this happened to notes created with V10...

EDIT: but it is good someone is actively looking into this.

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, Feitz said:

Hm, I got missing attachments long before Legacy sync was discontinued and as far as I remember this happened to notes created with V10...

EDIT: but it is good someone is actively looking into this.

Personally, I think it started with the introduction of RTE last year, but there may be a Legacy component to this as well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5

I had on occurrence lately - a fresh note, created on iOS mobile, with just a single scan of a receipt.

The receipt has been there, because I checked. A day later it was gone, replaced by a placeholder, size of the placeholder too small to be the receipt in disguise.

This has NOTHING to do with legacy, it was a brand new note. Maybe it got lost in sync transfer, who knows.

10 hours ago, s2sailor said:

Personally, I think it started with the introduction of RTE last year

Exactly, but I don't think it is Legacy related.

Understood, it makes more sense that RTE would cause an issue like this anyway.

Regardless, I heard from Gigi, he says he fixed the cache issue I was having... so that's some progress! I'm curious if anyone else had luck seeing their attachments come back.

50 minutes ago, mackid1993 said:

Understood, it makes more sense that RTE would cause an issue like this anyway.

Regardless, I heard from Gigi, he says he fixed the cache issue I was having... so that's some progress! I'm curious if anyone else had luck seeing their attachments come back.

FYI...
Of my 3 examples, one note has the Untitled Attachment problem cleared
(Still 2 notes to go, in progress...)

Just now, FredJ said:

FYI...
Of my 3 examples, one note has the Untitled Attachment problem cleared
(Still 2 notes to go, in progress...)

He's still working with you on the other notes?

8 minutes ago, FredJ said:

OH CRIPEES, Not exactly what I was hoping for…

(as suspected, back-end problems…)

Screen Shot 2024-05-27 at 12.19.09 PM.png

He offered me a gift code as well. I think you have to redeem it: https://evernote.com/redeem-code cancel your auto renew and then use it and resubscribe after it's used. In my case I will use it as a prorated discount for another year of Professional so I'm grateful to save some money on my subscription.

At least they fixed the bug so it won't happen again! And they are doing what they can to recover the data and make it right. He is working super hard on this and it's commendable, bugs happen and they are handling it very well.

• Like 4
5 minutes ago, mackid1993 said:

He offered me a gift code as well. I think you have to redeem it: https://evernote.com/redeem-code cancel your auto renew and then use it and resubscribe after it's used. In my case I will use it as a prorated discount for another year of Professional so I'm grateful to save some money on my subscription.

At least they fixed the bug so it won't happen again! And they are doing what they can to recover the data and make it right. He is working super hard on this and it's commendable, bugs happen and they are handling it very well.

ya, and at least I'll have some peace knowing how many are affected after I get a list of affected notes!
I probably won't use the code, as it will probably bugger up the 40% off they offered me when I was going to hang this whole Evernote thing, after all these years.

2 minutes ago, FredJ said:

ya, and at least I'll have some peace knowing how many are affected after I get a list of affected notes!
I probably won't use the code, as it will probably bugger up the 40% off they offered me when I was going to hang this whole Evernote thing, after all these years.

Yeah, it probably will. I already had a 40% last year so I don't get another.

• Level 5*

I’m not as forgiving.  If they have lost your data, the least they should do is give you a free year at the pro level.

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

I’m not as forgiving.  If they have lost your data, the least they should do is give you a free year at the pro level.

The good news is they didn't lose any data! They are working on a way to generate a list of notes with missing attachments and then they will provide download links for those attachments. It's a caching issue that broke the links to the attachments in the notes but the attachments are still in a shard on the server. I believe Gigi is a server side developer so he is working with the client side people to help find a way to generate a list of anything missing last I heard. He also said the same to @FredJ.

• Thanks 1

You guys are obviously very technically inclined, understand exactly what's going on and how to get your information back.  Then there are people like myself (and I suspect many others) who don't have the technical expertise or the inclination to deal with this.  I lost some important attachments and spent 6 hours reconstructing them from scratch.  This may be a little annoying but, more importantly, it's quite frightening.  I have files in EN which would be devastating to lose.  With Legacy I had a very easy way to keep up with my attachments ie: every few months I would "save attachments" by highlighting an entire notebook of attachments and importing them all to a directory on my hard drive.  I would then store this in Google drive.  It would take me literally  a few minutes to store thousands of attachments from each of my notebooks.  In this way, I always had a backup of every single attachment and could find anything that I ever lost.  Here's an example of my "EN Work" notebook with 3000 attachments on Gdrive.  This workflow is now broken in v10.

image.png.c5f6672128b6853ee2b05a6c209bc7da.png

Every few months I would repeat this process since these attachments would often change in content and it only took 3 minutes to save all of the attachments within a notebook.  This was a simple system that allowed me to sleep well at night knowing that all of my important stuff was being saved.  Now I'm not too sure anymore.  I still save enex files to Gdrive and I suppose that I could do an import/export kind of process to try and reconstruct in case of a disaster but the entire process now is far from clear or simple.

12 minutes ago, idoc said:

You guys are obviously very technically inclined, understand exactly what's going on and how to get your information back.  Then there are people like myself (and I suspect many others) who don't have the technical expertise or the inclination to deal with this.  I lost some important attachments and spent 6 hours reconstructing them from scratch.  This may be a little annoying but, more importantly, it's quite frightening.  I have files in EN which would be devastating to lose.  With Legacy I had a very easy way to keep up with my attachments ie: every few months I would "save attachments" by highlighting an entire notebook of attachments and importing them all to a directory on my hard drive.  I would then store this in Google drive.  It would take me literally  a few minutes to store thousands of attachments from each of my notebooks.  In this way, I always had a backup of every single attachment and could find anything that I ever lost.  Here's an example of my "EN Work" notebook with 3000 attachments on Gdrive.  This workflow is now broken in v10.

image.png.c5f6672128b6853ee2b05a6c209bc7da.png

Every few months I would repeat this process since these attachments would often change in content and it only took 3 minutes to save all of the attachments within a notebook.  This was a simple system that allowed me to sleep well at night knowing that all of my important stuff was being saved.  Now I'm not too sure anymore.  I still save enex files to Gdrive and I suppose that I could do an import/export kind of process to try and reconstruct in case of a disaster but the entire process now is far from clear or simple.

You could use Evernote-Backup and a small batch file to automate enex backups. I'd be happy to help you.

Edit: if you are using Windows, macOS is a different animal I don't want to touch!

@idoc

You can create a batch file with this. All you have to do is change the paths for your environment. Then set Windows task scheduler to run this maybe once a week. It'll output your notebooks as enex files in folder named for the day of the export so you can have versions. Mine is set to go to Dropbox but you can change it to Google Drive. I left my paths so you can see what I mean.

setlocal

rem Get the current date in YYYY-MM-DD format using PowerShell
for /f %%i in ('powershell -NoProfile -Command "Get-Date -Format 'yyyy-MM-dd'"') do set date=%%i

evernote-backup sync -d C:\Users\David\Dropbox\Evernote\en_backup.db
evernote-backup export C:\Users\David\Dropbox\Evernote\%date%\Notebooks\ -d C:\Users\David\Dropbox\Evernote\en_backup.db

ping 127.0.0.1
taskkill /f /im evernote-backup.exe
exit

before you do this you have to put the evenote-backup.exe file along side this batch file and run evernote-backup init-db in a command prompt to login and create en_backup.db first.

Task scheduler is easy just create a task to run this batch file I gave you and set the interval as you like, I'm sure you could find a youtube video out there to show you how task scheduler works.

Thanks very much for the follow up but I'm trying to understand how I would use this.  For example, let's say that tomorrow I notice that my attachment "Entire federal tax folder 2023" has disappeared from EN.  If I am saving Enex files how do I know which file this is in?  I assume that to look for one missing pdf I would need to take the entire enex file,  reconstruct it on EN and then look for that particular missing attachment?  Also, how do I know when that attachment went missing?  Perhaps it was 8 months ago?  Do I need to keep reconstructing the enex files by drilling back in time until I find the version before it disappeared?  It used to be that I could just to to Gdrive and search for "Entire federal tax folder 2023" and it would pop up in an instant.  Anyway, it sounds as if your system is probably the only reasonable method at this point and it would give some peace of mind.  I never thought that Gdrive could lose my data or that my backup hard drive would ever be wiped out by an EMP.  However, my confidence that EN will keep all of my data safe is not as steadfast as it once was.  I will certainly play with your script and see if I can make it work for me.  Thanks again for your help and I may need to reach out to fine tune it.  

Just now, idoc said:

Thanks very much for the follow up but I'm trying to understand how I would use this.  For example, let's say that tomorrow I notice that my attachment "Entire federal tax folder 2023" has disappeared from EN.  If I am saving Enex files how do I know which file this is in?  I assume that to look for one missing pdf I would need to take the entire enex file,  reconstruct it on EN and then look for that particular missing attachment?  Also, how do I know when that attachment went missing?  Perhaps it was 8 months ago?  Do I need to keep reconstructing the enex files by drilling back in time until I find the version before it disappeared?  It used to be that I could just to to Gdrive and search for "Entire federal tax folder 2023" and it would pop up in an instant.  Anyway, it sounds as if your system is probably the only reasonable method at this point and it would give some peace of mind.  I never thought that Gdrive could lose my data or that my backup hard drive would ever be wiped out by an EMP.  However, my confidence that EN will keep all of my data safe is not as steadfast as it once was.  I will certainly play with your script and see if I can make it work for me.  Thanks again for your help and I may need to reach out to fine tune it.  

The enex files are for each notebook and they would be versioned for each date the export was ran. So you'd have a folder 2024-1-31/Notebooks/Stack/notebook.enex