Thanks to the Evernote developers, I switched to Obsidian and now I'm happy!

I am immensely grateful to the Evernote developers for exhausting my patience. The last straw was the slow performance of the program. It is the only software that lags on my computer, including graphic editors and even text recognition systems. Additionally, the constant bugs and disruptive features only added to the frustration...

As a result, I decided to explore Obsidian, and I am absolutely delighted! I have discovered a whole cosmos of possibilities. I used to think that Obsidian was for people who simply didn't want to pay, but I found in it everything I was missing in Evernote and even more.

The main issue with Obsidian: very few functions work right off the bat, and additional apps need to be installed. But then it becomes much more beautiful and functional than Evernote. I am grateful for the people who offered me advice in the beginning (since I am more of a humanities person, haha). However, there are plenty of instructional videos on YouTube, and this can be done.

I've known about Obsidian for many years, but I didn't want to engage with it until the Evernote developers forced my hand. Thanks to them for that and warm hugs!

P.S. My Evernote subscription is still valid for another 10 months, but I hardly ever log in now.
P.S.S. Of course, everyone decides for themselves. I just shared my experience.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5*

Sympathies for the bad experience,  but you have posted this in a mainly user-supported Forum where most of us are not quite yet at your level of frustration. 

You might want to feed back your situation to the support team - and please make sure you visit https://www.evernote.com/BillyBillingProfile.action (it's the 'Billing' page of your online account) and check out the very bottom of the page,  just above "Terms of Service".  Cancel your Evernote subscription' is there - choosing it will downgrade you to Free in 10 months time and avoid any future complaint about being automatically charged.

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing your experience. I previously kicked the tires on Obsidian but it didn't quite click. Now that I'm having trouble with images disappearing in EN, I'll take a fresh look at Obsidian and see where plugins or extensions might make it a better fit for long-term use.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, thefryhole said:

Thanks for sharing your experience. I previously kicked the tires on Obsidian but it didn't quite click. Now that I'm having trouble with images disappearing in EN, I'll take a fresh look at Obsidian and see where plugins or extensions might make it a better fit for long-term use.

For some solutions, you have to look for a combination of plugins and achieve their compatibility. But sometimes it's better than waiting for an act of mercy from the developers. 😁
I was confused that synchronization in Obsidian was more expensive than the Evernote package. However, it turned out that even synchronization can be set up for free, for example, through Google Drive. (There are other options, I chose the simplest one).

• Like 1
2 hours ago, gazumped said:

You might want to feed back your situation to the support team - and please make sure you visit https://www.evernote.com/BillyBillingProfile.action (it's the 'Billing' page of your online account) and check out the very bottom of the page,  just above "Terms of Service".  Cancel your Evernote subscription' is there - choosing it will downgrade you to Free in 10 months time and avoid any future complaint about being automatically charged.

i sent that kind of feedback twice: once when i started contemplating leaving EN and again before downgrading to the free account (having migrated to Notion). not sure if anyone read it or cared. i got no reply.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
5 hours ago, RichardThomas said:

I am immensely grateful to the Evernote developers for exhausting my patience. The last straw was the slow performance of the program. It is the only software that lags on my computer, including graphic editors and even text recognition systems. Additionally, the constant bugs and disruptive features only added to the frustration...

As a result, I decided to explore Obsidian, and I am absolutely delighted! I have discovered a whole cosmos of possibilities. I used to think that Obsidian was for people who simply didn't want to pay, but I found in it everything I was missing in Evernote and even more.

The main issue with Obsidian: very few functions work right off the bat, and additional apps need to be installed. But then it becomes much more beautiful and functional than Evernote. I am grateful for the people who offered me advice in the beginning (since I am more of a humanities person, haha). However, there are plenty of instructional videos on YouTube, and this can be done.

I've known about Obsidian for many years, but I didn't want to engage with it until the Evernote developers forced my hand. Thanks to them for that and warm hugs!

P.S. My Evernote subscription is still valid for another 10 months, but I hardly ever log in now.
P.S.S. Of course, everyone decides for themselves. I just shared my experience.

I basically agree completely with what you wrote...

Obsidian was difficult to use and I uninstalled and reinstalled it several times. 

But it was really worth it to persevere. At this point, after about 2 months, my mind is mainly occupied with how to move as many activities as possible from Evernote to Obsidian as efficiently as possible.  It's such an incredibly scalable and adaptable system that anyone who hasn't tried it fully won't believe it.

And in my work as an architect, where I need to have a lot of things visually, it has offered me so many extra things that I don't have a chance to solve in Evernote, and Blending Spoon has leaned into it a lot and the development is going forward. But I really don't want to wait for them to add what I need and what I'm missing after all these years...

Here I can find a solution that suits me in a couple of days and with Evenot I may never get it.

Migration is easy. Whenever I need something from my older notes in Evernote, I move what I need to Obsidian and in Evernote it gets the ARCHIVE tag (which means I don't have to edit it there next time...)

From day to day I am in Evernote less and less time.

And by the way, I would have no problem paying 300 EUR a year for Evernote if it worked like it did in the past.  The main problem I've had since moving to v.10 is that it's slow and I can't search and filter things efficiently. Searching is just unreliable. And when instead of 3 seconds in Obsidian, I spend 20 minutes manually searching like a moron in Evernote for something that I also found in a few seconds before, the fault is probably not between the computer and the keyboard... Because I haven't changed the way I write notes and find them. But Evernote doesn't show those phrases in the search results...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Obsidian is simply a completely different world...

I needed one very missing feature. Annotate image, which kept me in Evernote. I wrote to the developer of a great plugin (Excalidraw) to see if he could make the system work like Evernote's Annotate Image.
The implementation of my request and the incorporation of the comments took about 8 days in total !   And it works beautifully.

(It took 3 days for the basic implementation and another couple of days to communicate with him the necessary further details of the annotation behavior.. )

• Like 4

Is it possible to have a list view with thumbnails, like in Evernote?
That was one thing that kept me from going there. The thumbnails give me a quick way to navigate the list without reading each title.

17 hours ago, ferol said:

Obsidian is simply a completely different world...

I needed one very missing feature. Annotate image, which kept me in Evernote. I wrote to the developer of a great plugin (Excalidraw) to see if he could make the system work like Evernote's Annotate Image.
The implementation of my request and the incorporation of the comments took about 8 days in total !   And it works beautifully.

(It took 3 days for the basic implementation and another couple of days to communicate with him the necessary further details of the annotation behavior.. )

Can you explain how this works, exactly? I've also been playing around with Obsidian, and have been finding basic image (not PDF) annotation to be its biggest weakness. I previously installed the Excalidraw plugin as the closest workaround, based on information on various Obsidian forums, but it always seemed incredibly convoluted and unintuitive. I was hoping there was a simple right-click-on-image and select "Annotate" type of workflow.

5 hours ago, Mel Matsuoka said:

Can you explain how this works, exactly? I've also been playing around with Obsidian, and have been finding basic image (not PDF) annotation to be its biggest weakness. I previously installed the Excalidraw plugin as the closest workaround, based on information on various Obsidian forums, but it always seemed incredibly convoluted and unintuitive. I was hoping there was a simple right-click-on-image and select "Annotate" type of workflow.

Simply, it works like this:

1/ Click on the image
2/ its code appears on the image
3/ and then you need to use the Excalidraw command "Annotate image in Excalidraw"

You can configure how you access the command differently. I preferably have a keyboard shortcut, but I've added it to my right-click as well. See images below.

Then the Excalidraw plugin opens the image directly in Excalidraw in a new Tab and you edit what you need to there. The original image stays on disk, but in the note it will be replaced straight away with the Excalidraw drawing and set automatically (you need to set it in Excalidraw settings) the same width of the drawing as the original orb was. In order to preserve the readability of the texts from the screenshots. This was my main behavioral requirement..

Here are my settings for the Excalidraw plugin to make it work the way I want (my texts are in Slovak), but you can probably understand from the screenshots. (By the way it's shared from Obsidian...)

https://share.note.sx/3r7k80g9#UwQ4h4wcJemXjfkhOFT5u1itvH/fx8je6Z2xHYmhoag

Possibility 01
(with plugin Commander you add custom commnad)
image.thumb.png.2e5b21374c337a227a6664dc4e2a213f.png

Possibility 02
image.thumb.png.68a1b9a0829c7fc8c3d52ec651def0d6.png

11 hours ago, Kaspar said:

Is it possible to have a list view with thumbnails, like in Evernote?
That was one thing that kept me from going there. The thumbnails give me a quick way to navigate the list without reading each title.

It's not quite like Evernote, if you mean the notes previews next to the sidebar. I stopped using that in v10 because it takes up too much space on the desktop...  
But the Note Gallery plugin works very well for uploads with different filters and in different folders.

It took me about 2 evenings to understand how to use the plugin and how to write the codes. There is a manual for it on his website and you can understand it from there. Of course, it's not as easy as Evernote, but once you understand it, it's fine and you can use it in a very different way.

In fact, you can also set it to make a gallery of all notes and sort from the newest to the oldest, or you can limit it to the last 100 notes, for example, so that it doesn't "kill" the Obsidian calculation...

I've also put together my own css additional settings for solving 1:1, 2:1 and so on... depending on what I want to display and how I want to display it.

A little demonstration I hastily uploaded now on YouTube at my place, what I use it for:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3L3ycqD7-YY

• Level 5

2 things stand out to me in this discussion.

21 hours ago, ferol said:

Obsidian was difficult to use and I uninstalled and reinstalled it several times. 

But it was really worth it to persevere....

But if you suggest patience and perseverance to anyone frustrated with Evernote 10, they will curse you like a wet dog. Obsidian seems to get a lot of unearned grace by comparison.

The other thing is the need to depend on 3rd-party add-ins. (If I'm understanding this correctly.) What happens if the add-in developer moves on to something else, decides they don't like Obsidian anymore, or just gets too busy to keep updating the add-in? It's a little tough to be heavily dependent on one app and its developers, like Evernote, but I'm very shy of being dependent on a developer and a community of add-in programmers who may range from committed to just hobbyists. Just my thoughts.

• Like 1

I would imagine there is a far different set of expectations for stability and amount of fiddling necessary between a free app and one that's $170 per year. Even with Obsidian's most expensive sync tier and a commercial license, you still aren't cracking $150/yr. At the basic sync tier, you're under $100.

Also, with Obsidian and similar plugin-augmented apps, you can choose to change up your workflow with new features that matter to you, or not. I'm not seeing that option with EN. I pay (a not-insignificant amount). I'm expected to donate my time for bug fixes, while BS uses robots because they don't want to spend their time. My workflows continue to be upheaved at frequent but random intervals. Only a portion of the new features is useful or even relevant to me. Tasks? Don't use 'em. Calendar? Same. This files thing? I can't envision any use for it but without seeing it in action I can't know that. Yet what I did rely on, like mobile offline, is kaput, with a vague assurance that it's being worked on but the longevity of the bug doesn't give me much hope for a resolution.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
19 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

The other thing is the need to depend on 3rd-party add-ins. (If I'm understanding this correctly.) What happens if the add-in developer moves on to something else, decides they don't like Obsidian anymore, or just gets too busy to keep updating the add-in? It's a little tough to be heavily dependent on one app and its developers, like Evernote, but I'm very shy of being dependent on a developer and a community of add-in programmers who may range from committed to just hobbyists. Just my thoughts

You'll have to adapt or move to another product, just like people have had to do for v10 not satisfying features and workflows they relied on in Legacy - or other changes that Bending Spoons make that we get stuck with (e.g. green to blue internal links).

The plugins in Obsidian are all open source. Somebody else can pick it up and run with it. 

We're actually more "stuck" with Evernote in that regards IMO. 

• Like 2
30 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

The other thing is the need to depend on 3rd-party add-ins. (If I'm understanding this correctly.) What happens if the add-in developer moves on to something else, decides they don't like Obsidian anymore, or just gets too busy to keep updating the add-in?

Probably the functionality you're used to stops. Worse case scenario would be the whole app fails until the plugin is uninstalled. 

I do wordpress consulting and the biggest single point of failure is third party plugins and themes. 

Personally I wouldn't give over all my productivity and workflows to hobby projects and free things. Id rather deal with just one place even if that means I can't have all the features all the times in one app.

I just need to get stuff done and not spend my life fussing with systems and workflows. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Boot17 said:

plugins in Obsidian are all open source. Somebody else can pick it up and run with it. 

Biggest issue here is that folks don't.

42 minutes ago, Jon/t said:

Biggest issue here is that folks don't.

I saw one just the other day where another developer picked up and carried it on. It wasn't a big one though -- not one that I depended on. Trying to remember which it was.

Can you name just one highly popular plugin in Obsidian that people were dependent on (not just cosmetic plugins) that went kaput with no one picking up support? I haven't heard of any. 

Not to say that it couldn't happen, but the bigger point of my comment is that with Evernote the community has zero control over changes (naturally) and things have changed (e.g. green color to blue internal links, UI revamp, mobile UI A/B testing, etc) and been taken away (e.g. Legacy). So worrying about a plugin or two going away in Obsidian is no different in comparison. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
19 minutes ago, Jon/t said:

I just need to get stuff done and not spend my life fussing with systems and workflows.

What's ironic about this comment to me is that the changes Bending Spoons has been making lately has been making me fuss and worry about my systems and workflows in Evernote.

With Obsidian, I have way more control over how things look and function. Sure, there was an initial learning curve and getting settled, but now I'm on cruise control with way less disruption. 

Edit: so actually I agree with that comment, but I'm just on the other side of the coin. 

• Like 1

Obsidian - Initial release    March 30, 2020; 4 years ago... 
Now more than 1600 official plugins...

It's spreading like a virus... In my opinion, it hasn't even started properly...  In 4 years, the community has been through a lot... What's gonna happen in another 4 years?  It's not free... it'll be the same business as Worpdress... or like Evernote... I don't see why it should die before Evernote or why not.

For one thing, I have almost always found several solutions and I picked the best one for you....
Even with worse plugins it would work better than Evernote does now in my workflow...

Of course, some plugins can crash...Also some plugins crashed in the past in Thunderbird. But never has a plug-in breakup slowed me down in efficiency the way the transition from Legacy to v.10 slowed me down. I'm just a big fan of Evernote, but emotions aside... the reality is what it is...

And I have 35 plugins in Obsidian, each one tweaking a little thing.. if 1-2 fall out, I really don't get mad... 

Same with Wordpress. I've been working with Wordpress for 10 years. Something fell out... but the system works great for me globally. You just have to use those plugins wisely and not build a session on them. But just see it as an improvement that can be changed if it doesn't go any further

• Like 2

I only have two plugins that I really rely on: Dataview (1.6 million installs) and Tasks (1.2 million installs) -- two of the bigger plugins. I have 6 others that I use as niceties, but I don't really rely on them.

If the plugins or Obsidian changed so much, I'd migrate to something else. It's already happened to me with Evernote and I am surviving, so I think I'd be ok.

6 minutes ago, Boot17 said:

I only have two plugins that I really rely on: Dataview (1.6 million installs) and Tasks (1.2 million installs) -- two of the bigger plugins. I have 6 others that I use as niceties, but I don't really rely on them.

If the plugins or Obsidian changed so much, I'd migrate to something else. It's already happened to me with Evernote and I am surviving, so I think I'd be ok.

When I look at the list of my plugins now, it's really possible to work without them...  I've highlighted in red the ones that would really annoy me if they didn't work...
Without the others it would still work OK...

But the best enhancement I have is my own CSS for the whole layout and formatting of the notes. It saves me an awful lot of time..

image.thumb.png.311abe94a25976359de75191eec4fb56.png

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

But if you suggest patience and perseverance to anyone frustrated with Evernote 10, they will curse you like a wet dog. Obsidian seems to get a lot of unearned grace by comparison.

When I started with Evernote 12 years ago, I also had to spend a lot of time to find workflows and understand everything. This is true for any new system. But so far, no software has made as much of an impact on my workflow as changing Legacy to v.10. And it doesn't matter if I'm talking about Autocad, Thinderbird, Adobe products, Affinity products, Microsoft Office, Skechup, 3D softwares... Video editing softwares...Widnows, Android... it doesn't matter what I can think of, and there are a hell of a lot of those programs in the 25 years I've been using computers...
So my patience has run out...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
16 minutes ago, Boot17 said:

for me the best:

.... And there is still the basic image editing solution SNAGIT, which I also use...

OPEN WITH - I forgot about this plugin, it's the top..

image.png.2e0d8236bbf2fd5ffa3c1843614429af.png

And one more thing about plugins. Obsidian is principally designed that way. All incrementally added functionality is built through plugins. If a plugin is suitable for the majority, it becomes an integral part of the installation itself, and at that moment you can see it as "settings" and the plugin should basically always be in Obsidian... that is, as long as Obsidian exits, this setting will also be there

image.png.f95502bfcc6ab3795da01bbe8975ee49.png

1 hour ago, Boot17 said:

So worrying about a plugin or two going away in Obsidian is no different in comparison. 

But they differ... I added the plugin myself and I know what didn't work before and what works now. And if it doesn't work, I'll be one step back of it... I know where I might return and I know that it worked for me there too...

Whereas with BS I don't know where I will be after the change...

For this reason, I don't even use any theme. I use the default, which I adapted through my own CSS, which I can modify at any time to my liking and I don't have to wait for anyone to update the theme.

• Confused 1
On 4/25/2024 at 9:50 PM, ferol said:

Migration is easy. Whenever I need something from my older notes in Evernote, I move what I need to Obsidian and in Evernote it gets the ARCHIVE tag (which means I don't have to edit it there next time...)

This is an excellent approach - keep all of your Evernote notes in place, and slowly but surely move your key notes into Obsidian. It'd be useful to have some sort of cut-off date, to say enough is enough, but it's my approach for now.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Boot17 said:

And the beauty is, it's now all markdown. So you've little to worry about, in terms of file longevity. It's a one-off migration completely worth the effort, IMHO.

• Like 3
  • Level 5
6 hours ago, ferol said:
8 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

When I started with Evernote 12 years ago, I also had to spend a lot of time to find workflows and understand everything. This is true for any new system. But so far, no software has made as much of an impact on my workflow as changing Legacy to v.10. And it doesn't matter if I'm talking about Autocad, Thinderbird, Adobe products, Affinity products, Microsoft Office, Skechup, 3D softwares... Video editing softwares...Widnows, Android... it doesn't matter what I can think of, and there are a hell of a lot of those programs in the 25 years I've been using computers...
So my patience has run out...

Understood. I don't remember when you attempted the switch from Legacy to v. 10, but I know that many people (again, not necessarily you) waited till pretty much the last minute. I waited a year or two, since v. 10 really was inadequate (to put it mildly) when it was first released. But then I had another year or so to begin learning new ways, rebuilding both work processes and muscle memory, everything that is, as you say, "true for any new system." V. 10 is a new system, and I'm not sure that Evernote (before and after Bending Spoons) emphasized that strongly enough. The habits and tricks we learned as we were first learning Evernote years ago couldn't be relied on, and it did require time to build up new ones; and if a particular workflow was hyper-dependent on specific features of v. 6, it was going to break.

My point is that, however it happened and however the responsibility should be distributed, quite a number of people found themselves jammed up with an "emergency," or at least "urgent," transition from Legacy to v. 10, and seem very willing to allow all the time and patience required to learn Obsidian, Upnote, Notion, or whatever, which they believe Evernote v. 10 should not have required of them. I'm probably wrong about some of this; I hope I'm being fair, but maybe not. But I think the snarky title of this thread kind of makes my point.

• Like 5
5 horas atrás, Dave-in-Decatur disse:

Understood. I don't remember when you attempted the switch from Legacy to v. 10, but I know that many people (again, not necessarily you) waited till pretty much the last minute. I waited a year or two, since v. 10 really was inadequate (to put it mildly) when it was first released. But then I had another year or so to begin learning new ways, rebuilding both work processes and muscle memory, everything that is, as you say, "true for any new system." V. 10 is a new system, and I'm not sure that Evernote (before and after Bending Spoons) emphasized that strongly enough. The habits and tricks we learned as we were first learning Evernote years ago couldn't be relied on, and it did require time to build up new ones; and if a particular workflow was hyper-dependent on specific features of v. 6, it was going to break.

My point is that, however it happened and however the responsibility should be distributed, quite a number of people found themselves jammed up with an "emergency," or at least "urgent," transition from Legacy to v. 10, and seem very willing to allow all the time and patience required to learn Obsidian, Upnote, Notion, or whatever, which they believe Evernote v. 10 should not have required of them. I'm probably wrong about some of this; I hope I'm being fair, but maybe not. But I think the snarky title of this thread kind of makes my point.

Honestly, I also find it strange that they have all this patience and good will with other software, which is very different from Evernote. I have the impression that people got too attached to Legacy by creating workflows that were too specific. I, for example, didn't go through that. When v10 was launched in 2020 I started using it almost immediately and had a very smooth transition. Legacy and v10 are different but the basics are still there: notes, notebooks, labels.

• Like 3
7 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

I cant remmember... I switched from legacy in august 2023? Maybe september?

Before this I 2 or 3 time from 2020 tested it..

My biggest problem is:

...slow and very bad search... Same problems eith search have my coleuges..

I switched the workflow in v10 to neasted tags for better clarity... but I still have a problem finding older notes...
And a lot of my attachments are wrong when I dig back into it..
So no such thing as wait 10 days for the database to load...

I work in parallel now in obsidian and in evernote. 

Evernote I have payed for another year... I wonder what will happen in a year. 

But there are too many of those obsidian evaluations. Obsidian solved everything from my table with bugs and wichlist that I sent to Evernote..

..tabs, backups, links to content inside notes.. iframes, really fast search... really fast work.. own theme...and many small think for time saving work...

Of course there are things that are better and more comfortable in Evernote. But I can live without them..

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, Cristiano478 said:

Honestly, I also find it strange that they have all this patience and good will with other software, which is very different from Evernote. I have the impression that people got too attached to Legacy by creating workflows that were too specific. I, for example, didn't go through that. When v10 was launched in 2020 I started using it almost immediately and had a very smooth transition. Legacy and v10 are different but the basics are still there: notes, notebooks, labels.

It's simple...

I didn't have to come to any forum until 2020...

For 8 years evernote worked effectively for me. I didn't need to cut the competition..

In 2023, I saw that legacy was not the future. I switched to v.10 and the forum became the place to solve problems..

And I wasn't alone.

So suddenly you find out that maybe there are better alternatives...

Why not use them?

But this is not my fault as a user. It's Evernote's fault, the way the change to the new system was handled...

If it had been smooth and without disrupting my efficiency, I would never have known about Obsidian..

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
1 hour ago, Cristiano478 said:

And about that time...

I do, for example, I am doing paid consultations. An hour costs 80 EUR. And the client pays for i me, I prepare the documents and the consultation starts. And in Evernote, a couple of days ago, one of my important attachments was "crumbling and not reading" for 5 hours after the consultation... Some never back... And in the last 2 months it happened to me several times .. Even in the online account it was not. It was a direct screenshot to Evernote, so I didn't have a backup on my PC...

Very unpleasant for the client... I waste his time..

Time is relative. I need instant reliability in a consultation.

That's why I prefer to spend more time on Obsidian and its optimization in other working hours outside the consultation, because I know, that even if it crashes, I have everything available on my PC disk. Or in Dropbox, through which I synchronize Obsidian.

Time is simply relative...

For me is Evernote...and now Obsidian very important bussines tool

My confidence in Evernote's reliability has dropped a lot in the last 2 months .. Maybe it will improve? I can't rely on maybe...

Getting trust back is generally a problem, whether in relationships or software... This is just software, after all 😏

• Like 3
17 hours ago, ferol said:

And one more thing about plugins. Obsidian is principally designed that way. All incrementally added functionality is built through plugins.

EN10 is much more dependant on foreign software than Legacy ever was... 😞 Just read the list of foreign licences they use...
UI, note editor, syncing, ... <nearly all> is implemented by using Github repositories from other developers.

Seeing it from this perspective, EN10 is also based on plugins - but they do not open their plugin interface to allow others to add features by their own. So we all are limited to what BS decides to use.  😤

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
28 minutes ago, AlbertR said:

EN10 is much more dependant on foreign software than Legacy ever was... 😞 Just read the list of foreign licences they use...
UI, note editor, syncing, ... <nearly all> is implemented by using Github repositories from other developers.

Seeing it from this perspective, EN10 is also based on plugins - but they do not open their plugin interface to allow others to add features by their own. So we all are limited to what BS decides to use.  😤

See, and it didn't even occur to me to look at it that way...

• Level 5*
13 hours ago, ferol said:

My biggest problem is:

...slow and very bad search... Same problems eith search have my coleuges..

And it's been that way from start with V10 with delayed update as well.  Definitely a use case thing.  If one does a lot of editing and moving the lag can be painful.

Insult to injury, I kept a free account with no notes (deleted everything from a previous test account) so as to be able to come back and check on things.  Just opened EN on my iPhone today and I have hit my 50 note limit, even though there are 0 notes and empty trash.  Though I was offered a 50% discount on personal.

No biggie, not using it anyway.  Just weird, just seems these would be simple things to work through as a company.

On 4/27/2024 at 1:27 AM, avevers said:

This is an excellent approach - keep all of your Evernote notes in place, and slowly but surely move your key notes into Obsidian. It'd be useful to have some sort of cut-off date, to say enough is enough, but it's my approach for now.

I use the same approach with Keep It and Eaglefiler. Eaglefiler is my repository where I have a clone of my Evernote Legacy contents and Keep It is where I start fresh. 

Very good combination, integration with Finder and Finder Tags, open to other apps (I especially recommend LEAP.APP as a file / PDF / Tag manager on steroids), iCloud sync etc. The more I use it the more I am reluctant to open V10 at all.

Will give Obsidian a try again for limited use to get a hold of it and see where that leads me. Thanks @ferol and others for the inspiration in that direction.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*

Personally, I don’t get the one notebook limit for free.  If free is meant to be a test drive, you can’t experience stacks with one notebook. Keeping the device limit to two also seems unnecessarily restrictive now as well.

On 4/26/2024 at 8:22 PM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

But if you suggest patience and perseverance to anyone frustrated with Evernote 10, they will curse you like a wet dog.

Sorry for that, but keep in mind that V10 was released in late 2020, we now have 2024 (obvious). So we are 4 years into V10 and still we have lots of bugs, annoyances and important features cut from Legacy. In my view V10 was absolutely unusable until autumn last year and for me it still is to a certain extent. All this while no features / corrections were added to Legacy (7.14 Mac was painless for more than four years) thus Legacy users basically paid for note hosting only.

From my perspective the frustration and  impatience is understandable and well earned.
They had four years to fix it and always come up with new bugs, e.g. after the last update to 10.86.2  V10 is lagging so much while typing and especially while scrolling that it is hardly usable (all other apps are fine, cpu max. 15%, mem 35%, Sonoma / latest V10).

• Like 2
14 hours ago, Feitz said:

Sorry for that, but keep in mind that V10 was released in late 2020, we now have 2024 (obvious). So we are 4 years into V10 and still we have lots of bugs, annoyances and important features cut from Legacy. In my view V10 was absolutely unusable until autumn last year and for me it still is to a certain extent. All this while no features / corrections were added to Legacy (7.14 Mac was painless for more than four years) thus Legacy users basically paid for note hosting only.

From my perspective the frustration and  impatience is understandable and well earned.
They had four years to fix it and always come up with new bugs, e.g. after the last update to 10.86.2  V10 is lagging so much while typing and especially while scrolling that it is hardly usable (all other apps are fine, cpu max. 15%, mem 35%, Sonoma / latest V10).

I tried to like V10 so hard when it launched and my main issue at the time was the poor spell/grammar check. Basic words were squiggled for no reason and the grammar suggestions weren’t correct. I only use Evernote to write and slangs words will naturally be squiggled, but real words were showing up as incorrect. That frustration led to me using Legacy until the wheels fell off.

• Level 5

Maybe you don’t know, but you are discussing the ability of your OS spell checker. EN doesn’t bring along it’s own solution.

First you need to address this with your OS provider. Second check your OS language settings. Third invest a little into training it, by teaching it words

1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

Maybe you don’t know, but you are discussing the ability of your OS spell checker. EN doesn’t bring along it’s own solution.

First you need to address this with your OS provider. Second check your OS language settings. Third invest a little into training it, by teaching it words

This is not true.For me the grammar checker of the Slovak language in Windows Evernote v.10 does not work and I tried all the options except for changing dictionaries directly in the evernote installation... and more tips from forums.. 

And everywhere else my grammar works. Word, Openoffice, Obsidian...

For languages other than English it's broken...

It only works in online account v.10

1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

I don’t think it’s an issue with MacOS—the spelling/grammar/etc. of the same words look fine in other applications. The spelling and stuff is also okay on my phone and when using the web. It’s just the app that I’m seeming to have the problems with.

7 minutes ago, sosomali said:

I don’t think it’s an issue with MacOS—the spelling/grammar/etc. of the same words look fine in other applications. The spelling and stuff is also okay on my phone and when using the web. It’s just the app that I’m seeming to have the problems with.

Exactly. Same for me on windows 10