It finally happened - The old version of Evernote (6.25...) stopped syncing and won't let me log back in

I have been resisting the new Evernote for Windows app because it is missing many key features and is just a horrible app. I continued to use the old Evernote (version 6.25.1.9091 (309091) Public (CE Build ce-62.6.10954)) on Windows 10 and ignored the annoying popups, message boxes, etc.

Well, today my Evernote app finally stopped syncing. I thought maybe I could log out and log back in again, but now my app won't connect to the server and reports a "incorrect password" error. But my password works on Evernote online... See the attached image for how I can't log into the application anymore.

So it finally happened, Evernote seems to have completely blocked the old versions. I doubt the "Legacy" version works either...

I've been a paying customer since 2011 and I am now forced to choose another note taking software that I can use on Windows and my Android phone.

RIP Evernote, you were the best.

P.S. A single feature has held me back from upgrading for so long: copying and pasting note contents into Microsoft Word does not work 100%. The images are not copied over. If Evernote were to fix this issue that relates to copying and pasting note and image information directly into other programs then I might consider sticking around...

evernote wont connect.png

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

I wondered when this would happen. 

The word thing is puzzling, I’ve seen this too, it’s odd as formatting for Evernote holds well on email and other pastes, just not word for some reason. Would an intermediate app work? Ie Evernote, paste to mail, paste to word? 

I’ll try it out but that should be resolvable without the hassle of trying to use another system. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, WilliamL said:

I wondered when this would happen. 

The word thing is puzzling, I’ve seen this too, it’s odd as formatting for Evernote holds well on email and other pastes, just not word for some reason. Would an intermediate app work? Ie Evernote, paste to mail, paste to word? 

I’ll try it out but that should be resolvable without the hassle of trying to use another system. 

This function worked perfectly fine on the old version of Evernote that I am now locked out of.

You will notice that in the new version of Evernote (cloud, app, whatever) that if you have a note with images, you can copy the entire body of the note, but when you paste it into any program (not just Word), that it will not paste the images. It's an awful user experience...

19 minutes ago, oscaro said:

This function worked perfectly fine on the old version of Evernote that I am now locked out of.

You will notice that in the new version of Evernote (cloud, app, whatever) that if you have a note with images, you can copy the entire body of the note, but when you paste it into any program (not just Word), that it will not paste the images. It's an awful user experience...

Ah, I was thinking it was text formatting, which oddly doesn’t transfer to word either but does fine to other apps. I’m not sure if any app that copy’s images like that I’m afraid. Most don’t even maintain formatting of text. 

• Like 1

Well I respectfully disagree because most apps support this ability of being able to copy data and images from one to another. Like Word to Word, Word to Google Docs, Word to many online fields. Or copy and paste info from websites into Word, or into Evernote... You just can't easily copy it out of Evernote........

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, oscaro said:

copying and pasting note contents into Microsoft Word does not work 100%

Hi.  Have you reported this to Evernote Support,  with example notes? 

I can usually copy and paste note content from a note to a Word document without any difficulty,  unless the original source was (forinstance) a web page with unusual protections or coding.  Worst case I can use the URL information in Evernote to visit the original source of a note and (usually) copy directly from there.

Evernote has been 'hinting' for some time (with the big bold red flash across window titles) that Legacy Evernote was replaced 3 years ago and is no longer supported. 

Your original note content is still available in your account if you upgrade to the current version.  Exporting,  Copying and pasting into other software should not be an issue,  but if it is,  we may be able to help you work around any problems in the forums.  You can also report them to Support,  who may - in the longer term - be able to fix them in future updates.

Its pathetic they stopped older versions like Evernote 6.25 from syncing. Disgusting user experience from new evernote app. it was so easy to move around within old evernotes app.

• Like 4
10 hours ago, oscaro said:

Well I respectfully disagree because most apps support this ability of being able to copy data and images from one to another. Like Word to Word, Word to Google Docs, Word to many online fields. Or copy and paste info from websites into Word, or into Evernote... You just can't easily copy it out of Evernote........

That’s interesting because in my use case it’s the exact opposite. Evernote is the only app that maintains formatting and keeps fonts consistent for me. It will keep all the formatting for instance when I copy and paste into mail whilst keeping text formatting consistent with the text already in the mail. 

Onenote posts formatting but carries font so it’s a mess
Obsidian does neither 
Craft carries formatting but not font

I could go on, this is a big thing for me as copying out to send in mail is something I do a lot in my work.

• Like 4
  • Level 5*

It may be irrelevant but I just updated to 10.71.2 which (apparently) fixed an issue with graphical misalignments on my filter modals. 

Now I do understand all those individual words,  but not necessarily in that order...  :D

• Haha 2

My version is 6.25.1.9091 (309091) Public (CE Build ce-62.6.10954) also, cannot sync, anyone kbow how to work around?

Why Evernote treats old customers like that? Sigh

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
Just now, kiatlc said:

Why Evernote treats old customers like that?

Because they're using old software that was replaced over 3 years ago...  read the thread - if you have unsynced notes,  try emailing them to yourself and add back ito to the browser-based app.

• Like 2

Same. Question for all of you that have converted to the "upgrade". Does the new version still allow import folders? This has been a part of my computing life for as long as I've been an EN user, which was October of 2009!

That's weird, my 6.25.1.9091 still works on one of my Windows machines, however, all logins were forcibly signed out yesterday it seemed, including the aforementioned.

My Windows laptop would not sync at all yesterday, and I thought it may have been a temporary outage, but yeah, also wondered whether they'd cut the cord on me.  Then noticed that the home machine was signed out when I got home last night.

I'm here posting because my EN 6.9.2 running on an older Macbook was also signed out when I came into it this morning.

Still poking around to see what's up.  If there've been any announcements, I've not easily found them in initial searches, admittedly loose attempts.

• Like 1

Evernote/Bending Spoons must hate its Legacy version hangers-on (me among them). They are being quite unfriendly about it.

1. They could have given us the date they plan to deactivate Legacy in advance. I don't like surprises, especially when they're bad surprises.

2. I tried to log out and log back in. The error message says "Can't connect to server. Please try again later." I suspect this is a lie; there will be no later.

3. But... I have several clients on several PCs. I have tried two of them so far. I'm surprised to find that the Legacy EN client on one PC is still syncing and otherwise behaving just fine. I spent a few minutes duplicating the small changes I made on the non-syncing PC client, and syncing. Is this just a way to add some confusion, and to get me to waste some time? Is this the end of Legacy, or isn't it?

• Like 3

I too have noticed being unable to synchronise notes since this morning.

You would think they would do an announcement to those users on an older version which was about to be blocked.  They know who we are.

I have been using and paying for Evernote for (I think) more than 20 years.  I didn't upgrade to the more recent version (on Windows or Android) due to serious removal of features, worse productivity & worse layout.

It's just sad. 

• Like 4
1 minute ago, RadioPhil said:

Evernote/Bending Spoons must hate its Legacy version hangers-on (me among them). They are being quite unfriendly about it.

1. They could have given us the date they plan to deactivate Legacy in advance. I don't like surprises, especially when they're bad surprises. << YES.

2. I tried to log out and log back in. The error message says "Can't connect to server. Please try again later." I suspect this is a lie; there will be no later.

3. But... I have several clients on several PCs. I have tried two of them so far. I'm surprised to find that the Legacy EN client on one PC is still syncing and otherwise behaving just fine. I spent a few minutes duplicating the small changes I made on the non-syncing PC client and syncing. Is this just a way to add some confusion, and to get me to waste some time? Is this the end of Legacy, or isn't it?

I noticed the same, re: #1.  I just sent in a support request to see if I could get some more information, especially since the failure is inconsistent.  I did receive a quick response, however, it was form-letter-y, tone unlike earlier EN support I'm used to in the very few times I've actually had need for assistance over the years.  I, also, do not like bad surprises, like having my long-term workflow/organization tool disrupted.

I was directed to update to the latest version(s) to resolve the issue.  I have reasons for not doing so.

I've responded politely requesting specific information on what's going on.  I'd like to know what's not working or no longer supported.  (IT minds wanna know.)

Can you provide any detail on the Legacy EN you're running that is syncing?  Oddly, I still have one instance running on a deeply rooted legacy machine, and it works on that one, but not in a newer OS.

1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

Standard - select first, then ctrl/click for more, shift-click on a range for a group. Shouldn’t be hard …

Have you tried it? I know it SHOULDN'T be hard. Try it and let me know what I'm doing wrong.

This is the first response message I received.  Exciting new features:

"Improved performance and reliability".  It worked fine the way it was.  Web, btw, has always sucked, and isn't any better, I see.  These other features I couldn't care less about.

I have a calendar.

I have the ability to share notebooks to work with others if I want.  "Enhanced" collaboration should be part of a business suite of tools/options.

I make my own checklists for tasks, and while I don't bother with them, I have/had? "reminders".

I don't use any of this stuff.

Everyone's doing this.  I can't be the only one on the planet who thinks that products or services reach a pinnacle, and no longer require "further development".  Just leave it alone.  All the good stuff gets wrecked or discontinued.  The abysmal UIs of streaming devices is another one of these things that's gone 7 miles down the wrong road.

Thank you for reaching out to us. 

While some legacy versions of Evernote are still available to use, we are planning to discontinue these older versions in the near future. For improved performance and reliability, we highly recommend updating to the latest version of Evernote, which will also allow you to access a wide range of exciting new features, such as:

• AI Note Cleanup
  • Collaborative Editing
  • Calendar
  • Tasks

Keep in mind that there will be no updates, bug fixes, or technical support for older versions of Evernote. If you are having trouble with an older version of Evernote, please update to the latest version to resolve the issue.

Should you have any further questions, we'll be happy to help. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, leftie12 said:

Have you tried it? I know it SHOULDN'T be hard. Try it and let me know what I'm doing wrong.

They've also taken away my ability to add multiple notes from Outlook. 

• Level 5*
3 minutes ago, leftie12 said:

After you have selected multiple notes you should see a popup that will allow you to merge, tag or move the selected group of notes.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, s2sailor said:

After you have selected multiple notes you should see a popup that will allow you to merge, tag or move the selected group of notes.

THAT'S what I was needing. I had missed that and after I selected multiples and went to the hamburger menu, the deselected. 

Thanks!

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, msg5 said:

Can you provide any detail on the Legacy EN you're running that is syncing?

I have 4 clients running on 4 PCs and I have tried them all. Only one is not syncing; it's the one in my office and the one I use EN most often on. All 4 have the same Legacy version: 6.25.1.9091 (309091). One of the 3 that are still syncing is Windows 11, all the others are Windows 10. I don't see any difference that explains why only 1 of 4 has stopped syncing.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*

It is not clear (at least to me) what the process is in how they are deactivating legacy, but it does seem clear that it is at the end of the road.  It hasn’t been officially supported, for over 2 years now and the in app upgrade warnings have been becoming more severe.  This isn’t a surprise, but you are at the point where you can no longer ignore it.  Now is the time to decide what your plan is, upgrade to V10 or find something else that works better for you.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Back in October 2021 Evernote stopped supporting Legacy apps,  and they appear to be updating or removing access from servers dealing with groups of clients - they're 'rolling out' the shutdown,  which operation typically takes a few weeks to reach everyone.  I'd say the situation is:

1. you were warned 3 years ago this would happen,  and now it has
  2. if you're still lucky enough to have a working instance of Legacy it is unlikely to last long
  3. Evernote have been 'hinting' that continuing to use Legacy was a bad idea for some time with the big red flash messages...
  4. if it's gone,  you still have access to your account through the Web version and can still download v10 to continue
  5. if you still dislike v10 now is the time to decide which other application suits you better...
14 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

It is not clear (at least to me) what the process is in how they are deactivating legacy

I think its slowly... certain versions for certain OS's will gradually stop working.

Its been EOL since Summer 2020 and I think the closest app to legacy is Version 10!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, gazumped said:

At the very least I'd suggest that users copy or backup the Evernote database folder.

Can you give us a quick rundown on how to do that please?

1 hour ago, RadioPhil said:
1 hour ago, msg5 said:

Can you provide any detail on the Legacy EN you're running that is syncing?

I have 4 clients running on 4 PCs and I have tried them all. Only one is not syncing; it's the one in my office and the one I use EN most often on. All 4 have the same Legacy version: 6.25.1.9091 (309091). One of the 3 that are still syncing is Windows 11, all the others are Windows 10. I don't see any difference that explains why only 1 of 4 has stopped syncing.

I just updated my Windows 11 PC (Windows updates, which required rebooting). Before the update & reboot, Legacy EN was syncing without any issue. After reboot, it no longer syncs. Perhaps rebooting is when Legacy dies. I think I'll try the v10 app on this PC, because what choice do I have?

• Level 5
2 hours ago, msg5 said:

Everyone's doing this.  I can't be the only one on the planet who thinks that products or services reach a pinnacle, and no longer require "further development".  Just leave it alone.  All the good stuff gets wrecked or discontinued.

I sympathize a little. I think Windows peaked at Windows 7 (maybe even Win95), and since then it's mainly been a quest to siphon off our data for MS profits.

But specifically WRT Evernote, "I don't use any of this stuff" is not a reason for those who do use it not to have it. And esp. since the upgrading of the data structure and syncing system in May 2023, which was only possible in v. 10, it's become a technical hassle to run both structures and systems side by side. MS no longer supports Win7. Evernote no longer supports v. 6. You can use Win7 at your own risk, of course; but for Evernote, it is simply unsustainable to run both systems.

The new stuff in v. 10 is very much worthwhile for me (and I'm not the only one on the planet who thinks that). Maybe one way to look at it is to think back to how you worked before you started using Evernote at all. There was a learning curve and an alteration to how you did things as you learned Evernote, right? And now there's another one. And there'll be one on any other notes app/service that people switch to. I yield to no one in my nature as a Grumpy Old Man. But even I find that I can deal with change. Sometimes. If I have to.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Level 5*

I would add a firewall rule to air gap EN (don't allow access to the EN site).  Turn it on before opening and off after closing legacy.  Effects of logging off at the host should be mitigated.  Back in the day if you weren't logged in on your device you could not access your local data.  This should let you get your data out if that is the path you decide to pursue.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, GreenTea13 said:

I wouldn't mind so much if they would just add in the missing features from the old version, it's been YEARS and they still haven't added in many missing features.

What features are you missing? They may be there but accessed differently than what you are used to.

1 hour ago, GreenTea13 said:

I'm stuck with Evernote unless I want to lose my years of notes

There are plenty of other apps that will import your Evernote data, so you are not stuck, but it is doubtful that you will find a perfect replacement to Legacy.  The closest replacement is v10.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
4 minutes ago, GreenTea13 said:

Being able to change the color of notebook names. (yes, I am doing the 'use an emoji' trick instead and it works well enough)

That was a windows only feature that unfortunately got dropped during the Chromium rewrite.  I used it as well and it would be nice to have it back.

6 minutes ago, GreenTea13 said:

Being able to manually sync

Last year they changed the sync architecture to real time editing, so in theory a sync button is no longer needed.  It is this change that is contributing to the end of legacy.

v10 isn’t a perfect replacement, but it is pretty darn close and you might even find you like some of the new features such as tasks and backlinks.

12 minutes ago, GreenTea13 said:

I've tried changing over, but no other note-taking services allows me to upload the 11GB of notes I have without having to get a paid account

I haven’t looked into the storage limitations, but you may need to pay to upload that amount.  Evernote’s free plan was amazing and unfortunately not sustainable.  Other subscribers were paying for that and there were not enough paying subscribers to keep this going.

15 minutes ago, GreenTea13 said:

I'm not hating on Evernote itself, I just dislike how Bending Spoons is constantly ignoring the most basic request of the entire community.

I don’t know if they are ignoring, or just putting requests on hold currently.  They have been focused on a lot of back end server work, such as RTE. It will be interesting to see what they manage to do this year.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
18 hours ago, msg5 said:

This is the first response message I received.  Exciting new features:

"Improved performance and reliability".  It worked fine the way it was.  Web, btw, has always sucked, and isn't any better, I see.  These other features I couldn't care less about.

I have a calendar.

I have the ability to share notebooks to work with others if I want.  "Enhanced" collaboration should be part of a business suite of tools/options.

I make my own checklists for tasks, and while I don't bother with them, I have/had? "reminders".

Everyone's doing this.  I can't be the only one on the planet who thinks that products or services reach a pinnacle, and no longer require "further development".  Just leave it alone.  All the good stuff gets wrecked or discontinued.  The abysmal UIs of streaming devices is another one of these things that's gone 7 miles down the wrong road.

Oh hey, I got this same exact response from support, copy & pasted. Quality.

• Level 5

Why should they invent new answers for everybody with the same question ?

You need to pick the features you need yourself - nobody will use them all, and everybody will use his own set. It’s not the role of support to tell why a certain feature would be good for your use case.

The thrill is to find out yourself - or come asking here.

22 hours ago, RadioPhil said:

Wondering whether this may have something to do with a Windows security setting patch.  My issue on the Win10 machine may have begun after completing Windows patching.  I was working on a bunch of machines and tasks this week, and don't recall order of ops/observation. 

I'm going to check a few other things to see if I can figure out when it began, and whether I had any system changes.

I just logged onto a Win11 machine I haven't used in a while.  EN 6.25.1 is working there.  I haven't tested sign out and back in yet, though.

• Like 1

It might have been a bad idea to keep using an unsupported software but using version 10 is even worse an idea. Version 10 never works for me. It takes for ever to open notes, quite often, It does not always show embedded pictures and even sometimes corrupts them, the note info does not display the location any more, the update time stamp does not show the time any more, the check list changed and this on the Mac, Android, IOS and Windows version.

So in spite of all the annoying pop ups, warnings and such I have been holding dearly to all my legacy versions. Now sync does not work on my work PC. It did not work on my MACs could somehow fix it with a less old version. 

Best of all they even removed the export to One Note before starting this really annoying blocking so it is even more painful to move away because now I agree with the posts above: it is really time to run.  

I actually do not understand how a sound company that has been developing a very cool app since the Palm Pilot time cannot listen to the many users (most of them paying customers) upgrading and downgrading back, putting bad reviews in Google Play and the Apple Store and this for the past 3 years. It is not that version 10 new features are bad, some are actually great but they are just not reliable. Worse: even the core features are not reliable.

Somehow I still hope that Evernote will listen and discover that with all the hinderances they put on the daily work of heavy users of Evernote will not push them to v10 (at least note unless the mess is sorted out) but away. 

Will see....

• Like 3
10 minutes ago, msg5 said:

I'm going to check a few other things to see if I can figure out when it began, and whether I had any system changes.

Did you check the logging window? Maybe it's only one note change that causes a sync to fail because you have it open in a EN10 client...
I'm running 6.25.3.9348 (309348) Public (CE Build ce-62.6.10954) on several WinPCs - no problem so far...

• Like 2
48 minutes ago, jpservices said:

I actually do not understand how a sound company that has been developing a very cool app since the Palm Pilot time cannot listen to the many users (most of them paying customers)

Most of what you wrote is your opinion and everyone is entitled to their own of course. I don't find v10 near so dreadful as you, but the "listen to the many users (most of them paying customers)" is surely objectively false? The opposite is true by a wide margin -- most of Evernote users are freemium users -- I think like 90% or more? Though I expect that 90% number will start to drop with the free plan turning into basically a trial.

• Level 5
1 hour ago, jpservices said:

It might have been a bad idea to keep using an unsupported software but using version 10 is even worse an idea. Version 10 never works for me. It takes for ever to open notes, quite often, It does not always show embedded pictures and even sometimes corrupts them, the note info does not display the location any more, the update time stamp does not show the time any more, the check list changed and this on the Mac, Android, IOS and Windows version.

I know it's not that helpful to hear "Well, that doesn't happen to me," but, well, it doesn't. In fact, I'm confident that this is not the normal way v. 10 works for a lot of v. 10 users. This suggests that those who do have it happen may have some local issue, such as a corrupted database. But if you're seeing this on 4 different platforms, then it would seem there's something else going on.

One faint possibility is connectivity. I only ask because I don't know, but do you have a strong Internet connection in all the locations where you use Evernote on the various platforms? Is there one locality with a weak connection, where syncing Evernote might conceivably have corrupted the database and then synced the corruptions?

On the Windows device, you could try an uninstall using Revo Uninstaller, which does a more thorough job than the Windows uninstaller. After uninstalling, reboot the computer and reinstall Evernote. If it helps, it helps; if not, you're no worse off.

If all this persists (and again, it is not how v. 10 normally works), you'll probably have to contact Evernote Support (https://www.evernote.com/SupportLogin.action). Initially you'll get a boilerplate response telling you to do what you've already done (make sure you're on the latest version of the app on all platforms, uninstall and reinstall, etc.). Get past that, and there'll be a delay till you get anything substantive (since they're massively backed up at the moment). Hopefully they'll eventually have something useful for you.

1 hour ago, Boot17 said:

Most of what you wrote is your opinion and everyone is entitled to their own of course. I don't find v10 near so dreadful as you, but the "listen to the many users (most of them paying customers)" is surely objectively false? The opposite is true by a wide margin -- most of Evernote users are freemium users -- I think like 90% or more? Though I expect that 90% number will start to drop with the free plan turning into basically a trial.

I've just spent the past hour testing V10.x on a spare Macbook.  It's *****.  A marked degeneration of a once great platform and client.

What do I find?  Aside from removed functionality I'm finding so far, poor layout structure, cludgy performance, and multiple steps now required for what used to be a toolbar item, I happen across a pretty significant data handling issue.  I view a note and it updates the modified date?  That's a problem.  And you wonder why people hang on to legacy?  This is why.

Who cares what the fremiums think.  I mean that with whatever respect due, but, I mean, seriously, what effect do they have on EN's success?  What right do they have to expect anything other than what EN develops if they are not at least contributing by subscribing to the service?

"surely objectively false?"  great phrase.  Impossible for any of us to prove, of course.

What I was referring to with that statement was based on what I saw in the community in a previous uprising back in 2018 over some business with a forced version upgrade to a version that was crashing constantly and had become unworkable.  I can be sure at this point, but it sure seemed like most of those contributing were long-active community members, and yes, I'm presuming, subscribers.  Their impassioned and insightful contributions would have been a bit much for a casual user.

I'm mad.  I'm frustrated.  I've sung EN's praises to everyone over the years.  I love EN.  But this development is wrong.  It's not even efficient.

By the way, the new features touted, like Calendar and Tasks?  I'm supposed to update my "Premium" account to a "Personal" one.  Huh?

Keyboard shortcuts >> I have to pay to create additional ones?  What?

EN 10 is a pos.  Barely more than a browser instance passed off as a desktop client.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
2 hours ago, AlbertR said:

Did you check the logging window? Maybe it's only one note change that causes a sync to fail because you have it open in a EN10 client...
I'm running 6.25.3.9348 (309348) Public (CE Build ce-62.6.10954) on several WinPCs - no problem so far...

Albert - awesome, you rock.

6.25.3 still works on Windows.  Just downloaded and tested it on a Win11 machine that 6.25.1 failed to complete a sign-in after the sign-out test.

Further, confirmed that 6.25.3 still works after a sign-out and sign-in.

I enabled multi-factor authentication on my account a while back.  Everyone using Evernote should.

I need to find a 6.x solution for macOS...  If I can't, I'll have to run a VMware Fusion VM in Unity for Evernote access in a Windows VM.  I'm really going to miss the EN 6.x macOS client.  It had some really cool functionality in it, like keyboard shortcuts for custom colors and a bunch of other Apple-y environment benefits.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Why should they invent new answers for everybody with the same question ?

You need to pick the features you need yourself - nobody will use them all, and everybody will use his own set. It’s not the role of support to tell why a certain feature would be good for your use case.

The thrill is to find out yourself - or come asking here.

I asked questions not addressed in an auto responder disguised in the voice of a real support staff person - remember them and how friendly and helpful they were?  The wording of that response effectively said, "We've responded to you re: your request for support, and this issue is closed.  But write back if you need to."

Who said anything about relying on support to consult on feature use case?

I don't need "thrills" - I need my organization tool to work the way EN ran it for years and years and years.  Resistant to change?  You bet, when one of my best tools is being [bad word].

• Level 5

@msg5 Who cares … probably in the time of AI they could mint a different answer every time they send something out - with the same meaning, but nicely worded.

For a receiving human, it just means to read through more useless verbal decorations. So, you received an answer, you don’t like it, this can happen.

I rather have support being more productive than trying to invent new answers just to create a more cozy feeling.

2 hours ago, msg5 said:

What do I find?  Aside from removed functionality I'm finding so far, poor layout structure, cludgy performance, and multiple steps now required for what used to be a toolbar item, I happen across a pretty significant data handling issue.  I view a note and it updates the modified date?  That's a problem.  And you wonder why people hang on to legacy?  This is why.

I agree fully. I miss functionality. The UX/UI is a great many steps back from the ninja enabling workflows and speed of Evernote v6. I miss speed. With legacy I used it as a ninja.

I tried competitors. v10 is better than them. I gladly pay. However, as soon as Notion gets a few basic features and offline syncing, I might switch. If Evernote gets more speed, more usable/faster edit tags dialogue, Notion like Synced sections, I'll stay and pay another 10 years for Evernote.

B.t.w. viewing a nite only changes the changed date Once because it go converted to the v10 data format I believe. I've been with V10 for over a year now. It got better version by version, and don't see conversion caused changes to the modified date any more.

I give v10 a 65 percent score out of 100 for my usecases (PKM and GTD/TSW mixed). However, competitors do worse. So I'm happy to pay... For now... And the past 10 years...Also the new prices. 

• Like 2

Here are the links to working Legacy versions for anyone here who still needs to stay on Legacy for now:

@s2sailor - you mentioned V10 for macOS in one of your posts above, and how it's closest to Legacy.  I'd like to check that out.  I have a note where I captured a process for figuring out EN download URLs if one has the full version info, however, I've not been able to successfully determine a download path for a v10, let alone figure out which version of it is most stable and still closest to Legacy.  Would you happen to have any info here?  Right now I'm using the 7.14.1.

1 hour ago, msg5 said:

I know you did, but I had the same thought and offered my take.  I didn't realize you were having a private conversation with @jpservices  My apologies.

Obviously it's not a private conversation. I just wondered if you were the same person behind the two different accounts since you literally wrote "What I was referring to with that statement".. when it wasn't even the msg5 account that wrote that. Then try and pass it off as you just having the same thought. uh - ok.

• Haha 1
10 minutes ago, MvdH said:

I agree fully. I miss functionality. The UX/UI is a great many steps back from the ninja enabling workflows and speed of Evernote v6. I miss speed. With legacy I used it as a ninja.

I tried competitors. v10 is better than them. I gladly pay. However, as soon as Notion gets a few basic features and offline syncing, I might switch. If Evernote gets more speed, more usable/faster edit tags dialogue, Notion like Synced sections, I'll stay and pay another 10 years for Evernote.

B.t.w. viewing a nite only changes the changed date Once because it go converted to the v10 data format I believe. I've been with V10 for over a year now. It got better version by version, and don't see conversion caused changes to the modified date any more.

I give v10 a 65 percent score out of 100 for my usecases (PKM and GTD/TSW mixed). However, competitors do worse. So I'm happy to pay... For now... And the past 10 years...Also the new prices. 

Exactly.  Legacy's super fast and efficient.

Good info above.  I was wondering whether anyone's found anything comparable.  I've seen a few posts here and there over the years as others have commented on the various major hiccups we've experienced.  I made a list, but haven't explored anything else in earnest yet.  It's obvious now we're approaching the cutoff.  It's not a surprise, I've seen all the notifications and chose not to make the jump.  My reasons were proven valid in my exploration of v10 today.  They should announce a hard cutoff date, though.

I'll add Notion to the list to check out.  I don't want to leave EN, but v10's too big a sidestep/backstep to ignore now.  I think those like myself who become involved in these impassioned discussions here are hoping that someone sees there are enough of us saying, "Woah, no, wrong!"  Likely to make any difference?  No.

I'm not saying to take anything away from you v10ers who like it, but client/server's not that hard.  I don't know how it all works, but client/server/local database/sync changes shouldn't be that complicated.  I don't even need updates.  Is an updated Evernote desktop client any less susceptible to compromise?  Have there been any documented cases of compromise through a Legacy client? or has it all been weak credentials, social engineering, or lack of multifactor?

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
13 minutes ago, Boot17 said:

Obviously it's not a private conversation. I just wondered if you were the same person behind the two different accounts since you literally wrote "What I was referring to with that statement".. when it wasn't even the msg5 account that wrote that. Then try and pass it off as you just having the same thought. uh - ok.

Oh.  nah.  Full disclosure - the quote sounded like something I said - or just thought - and about halfway through writing I realized that wasn't my quote, but I thought the response still valid.

sorry dude, lol :D  

• Level 5

If speed was all, we would all exist with software coded in assembler.

Apart from being speedier, the legacy clients are a collection of outdated code that no sane business would try to maintain. Synergies in code sharing between platforms are zilch, Windows 6.25 is still 32bit code.

That sort of software is the code that breaks companies. In this case, it nearly succeeded !

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, msg5 said:

you mentioned V10 for macOS in one of your posts above, and how it's closest to Legacy.  I'd like to check that out.  I have a note where I captured a process for figuring out EN download URLs if one has the full version info, however, I've not been able to successfully determine a download path for a v10, let alone figure out which version of it is most stable and still closest to Legacy.  Would you happen to have any info here?  Right now I'm using the 7.14.1.

When I mentioned v10 I was referring to the latest version available for download from their website, not one specific version.  It is IMO closest to Legacy than other apps, but it will be the same as the Windows version you tried, which you mentioned you don't like, so downloading it may not be worth your trouble.

Using these older versions is fine except they are going away.  I think you are just delaying the inevitable.  I suggest picking what is the next best app for you and move on.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5
1 hour ago, MvdH said:

57 minutes ago, msg5 said:

Legacy's super fast and efficient.

I continue to be mystified by complaints about v. 10's speed. Maybe it's because I'm slower than I used to be, maybe it's because my last uses of v. 6 were on a comparatively much slower computer, maybe it's because I never was a ninja ... but I simply do not find any speed deficiencies in v. 10. Perhaps it's just luck with hardware and connectivity. I have no idea. But I hope it can be recognized that those of us who do think v. 10 is better than v. 6 may well have a different subjective experience with it than those who hate it. (Also, if the last time someone used v. 10 was 2 years ago, they really have no relevant data for comparison.) As for lost features, it may be worth just noting that v. 10 has features like backlinks--something that enables ninja-ness--that v. 6 never had. Features lost and features gained. Some people built their workflows around editing note creation dates, which to me just sounds daft, some around fast tag creating/editing/deleting, which is not relevant to me. There is a whole lot of subjectivity involved in this whole discussion, and it might be worth acknowledging that factor all round.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

but I simply do not find any speed deficiencies in v. 10

Sometimes hard to differentiate between device speed and UI speed.  From my brief experience rendering notes with PDFs and navigation (UI changes re nesting and toolbars) are slower with V10.  Abysmal day 1, definitely faster now but still lags in the web experience.  I got used to click/see on legacy, it was what it was.  Not sure I am a ninja but I notice the difference.  🤷‍♂️

• Like 2
  • Level 5

V10 is not going easy on resources, that’s for sure. It is nested into a chromium based engine, like a browser with the app as its front end.

And Chrome is a resources hog, that’s well known. From my observation it behaves more like a VM than a browser, in many aspects. Little wonder, in ChromeOS it IS the OS.

For me speed in v10 is no issue, except in operations on multiple notes. The reason seems to be that the notes are still handled 1 by 1. This created a work load of „change, then sync“, and until the sync has not happened, the next note is on hold.

My workaround (for example when tagging or moving a larger selection of notes) is to take the client offline first. Then the operation runs local only, which is much faster.

When done, I go back online, and the syncing happens in the background.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I am a subscribed user since 2015. I also stick with V6.25 because it doesn't only look better but also is easier to use, at least for people who like to edit the content in the note. the newer version Evernote doesn't  allow me to edit content like before. 

But then I encountered the same problem as you guys. Now I am forced to start using Joplin , which is similar to Evernote but with less aesthetic appearance.  

Now I give Joplin a try. If it fits my needs, I will cancel my subscription with Evernote and  transfer my work to Joplin. 

So hope Evernote team can solve this synchronization issue as soon as possible, because the older version Evernote was just awesome. 

• Like 4
10 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

I continue to be mystified by complaints about v. 10's speed. Maybe it's because I'm slower than I used to be, maybe it's because my last uses of v. 6 were on a comparatively much slower computer, maybe it's because I never was a ninja ...

On one hand I used to use v6 in a way that I would hit 3 shortcuts in 1 second, changing hundreds of notes each day, removing tags, adding tags, etc.. I am a COO building a company, fresh teams and middle layer, educating and helping people with a total of 50+ smaller and bigger projects each day, making decisions, organizing, streamlining. That process got brought down on its knees initially with V10. And it still hinders me, though I changed my process. Mind that I probably have ADHD and need a speedy second brain/PKM/PM tool like Evernote. 

On the other hand the work flow/usability of v10 is a lot lower.  @Federico Simionato  Less Alt+Letter shortcuts, less ninja supporting features. Take the edit tags dialogue. In v6 Alt+H would hide unused tags of multiple selected notes. Then using the down arrow I'd check a subset of shown tags on that subset of notes selected. Then I'd press Alt+H again to unhide unused tags again, typing the first few letters of the next tag to check with the spacebar. After hitting that spacebar, you'd be able to type the first letter of the next tag to add or remove, using the spacebar again. That was VERY fast in v6 but undo able in v10. Missing hot keys, missing to be able to retype (or type at the get go) the beginning of a tag name J that dialogue are both not possible. The above is one of 10+ examples hindering my work flow. What cost 3nseconds before, now costs me 30 seconds, in a process I do all day. 

Not to mention racing conditions according due to the combination of by being a blocking single thread/flow application, and v10 clearly being an async de lopped application. My ninja behavior MANY times results in actions being performed on the wrong note e.g., due to the fact that I am faster in my typing than v10 is in updating the UI correctly. 

Does that clarify a bit why I repeat in the forums once a week that v10 is not speedy enough yet, in both usage/workflow as technically, Dave?  Of course this applies not to the workflows of everybody, but it does to mine. 

Sidenote: I hate Backlinks, because they break when merging notes. Merging happens at least 3 times on every note I have in my work flow, adding emails and such to the end of existing notes. I have a script in Google, if I star an email it gets send to Evernote with the right headers/titel formatted with email info in it, like date/time, from, etc.. 

😊

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

<lacking speed of> operations on multiple notes. The reason seems to be that the notes are still handled 1 by 1. This created a work load of „change, then sync“, and until the sync has not happened, the next note is on hold.

Whow - one of the very few statements of V10 fans regarding problems with RTE. 😉
Will RENT be a solution for that? I think no - multiple notes are not metadata...
Opening and closing (RTE) rooms very often and fast is a problem in all cases of mass movements...

• Thanks 1
  • Evernote Expert

The multi note operations that @PinkElephant describes pre-date RTE and have been present since v10 was released. I'm not sure that RTE had made this particular issue any worse nor, indeed, better. 

• Like 1

Dear support and developers, return access to the old version 6.25! With this customer relations level you will lose a lot of old clients, paying clients!

1. Version 10 has problems with the interface; the sidebar is not flexibly adjustable. Users with a large number of notebooks run into problems.

I have Evernote open on a horizontal monitor, and I can’t see more than 30 notebooks; there were no problems with this in version 6.25.

2. Notes take an awfully long time to load when browsing among notes. In version 6.25 there were no problems with this, they were immediately available and there were no lags.

3. Let users go back to 6.25, either fix the bugs or let them choose the interface.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Can anyone share any thoughts on whether we will ever be able to edit the "Last edited" field?  There are a minority of us who consider the ability to edit the "Last edited" metadata as a critical feature.  I acknowledge that we are not a majority but there are quite a few that I know of who have made service requests to be able to update that metadata in v10.  

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
18 minutes ago, p1154 said:

Can anyone share any thoughts on whether we will ever be able to edit the "Last edited" field?  There are a minority of us who consider the ability to edit the "Last edited" metadata as a critical feature.  I acknowledge that we are not a majority but there are quite a few that I know of who have made service requests to be able to update that metadata in v10.  

None of us here know what Evernote is planning, though I understand the desire to have this, and I would also use it.  My only suggestion is to send this as feedback to Evernote.  It is unlikely they will see this here.

• Thanks 1
  • Evernote Expert

I think it more likely that a new meta data editable date field could be added and made searchable/sortable.

This actual last updated field is a system variable that cannot be edited.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, AlbertR said:

Will RENT be a solution for that? I think no - multiple notes are not metadata...

My development skills are stuck to integrating CRMs with marketing tools so I don't claim to understand everything that's going on but reading between the lines the content of the "note", as in what appears in the editor window is separate from all the other stuff like titles, tags, dates and other stuff. RENT (i think) is designed to improve sync of these items.

Again, I don't know but content inside notes with RTE seems to sync between all devices very well but all the other stuff doesn't, so if we're waiting for some of the "other stuff" to happen before we can see a note then there is a delay.

There's also "Conduit" which was mentioned in the blog post and I reckon this will also improve things no end as its replacing the client side database with something more modern. They recently replaced the web version database and the point they made was that multiple things could happen at the same time much faster. Maybe (I don't know) this will also happen for the clients, multiple processes happening, faster.

Again, the Evernote Devs are way above my pay grade so I could be talking rubbish... which has been known 😂

• Like 2
24 minutes ago, Jon/t said:

Evernote Devs are way above my pay grade so I could be talking rubbish...

Don't held back your great insight knowledge. IIRC you're member of an inner circle of users/experts who have been informed about some BS activities just before they took place. EN product management would correct you if you are wrong. 😉 

the content of the "note", as in what appears in the editor window is separate from all the other stuff like titles, tags, dates and other stuff. RENT (i think) is designed to improve sync of these items.

This is exactly my understanding of note vs. metadata content. (see my comment in topic/149468-will-rent-solve-rte-problems). But hey..

RTE seems to sync between all devices very well but all the other stuff doesn't, so if we're waiting for some of the "other stuff" to happen before we can see a note then there is a delay.

... I'm sure you have this in mind 👍

26 minutes ago, Jon/t said:

There's also "Conduit" which was mentioned in the blog post ... Maybe ... this will also happen for the clients, multiple processes happening, faster.

Yep - but I'm not sure whether this will be a real advantage. The WEB version does not store all note and metadata content locally. The speed increase was measured as a ratio of before/after of the WEB version. Client versions are faster than the WEB version (even now) 🤔

But maybe Conduit has to be replaced because there is an internal problem to sync note and metadata content - who knows... 😵

• Like 1
  • Level 5
9 hours ago, AlbertR said:

Will RENT be a solution for that [operations on multiple notes needing to be handled 1 by 1]? I think no - multiple notes are not metadata...

OTOH ... the content of a note is "data," but is its unique identifier perhaps metadata? And when multiple notes are selected, what is actually selected, from the Evernote system's point of view? Might it not be the notes' identifiers rather than their entire contents? So perhaps RENT will operate on note identifiers and speed up multi-note operations? All asked, but not answered, since I don't know those answers!

For reference, from the blog post about what will be coming in 2024:

We’ll release RENT, a new metadata sync process. RENT is a counterpart to the collaborative editing initiative from April 2023. While collaborative editing focuses on instantly syncing note content across multiple devices, RENT handles note metadata syncing. With RENT, users will see changes to note titles, thumbnails, dates, and note list content reflected across all their devices faster than ever before.

So RENT is a "counterpart" to RTE.

• Level 5
9 hours ago, MvdH said:

On the other hand the work flow/usability of v10 is a lot lower.  @Federico Simionato  Less Alt+Letter shortcuts, less ninja supporting features. Take the edit tags dialogue. In v6 Alt+H would hide unused tags of multiple selected notes. Then using the down arrow I'd check a subset of shown tags on that subset of notes selected. Then I'd press Alt+H again to unhide unused tags again, typing the first few letters of the next tag to check with the spacebar. After hitting that spacebar, you'd be able to type the first letter of the next tag to add or remove, using the spacebar again. That was VERY fast in v6 but undo able in v10. Missing hot keys, missing to be able to retype (or type at the get go) the beginning of a tag name J that dialogue are both not possible. The above is one of 10+ examples hindering my work flow. What cost 3nseconds before, now costs me 30 seconds, in a process I do all day. 

Not to mention racing conditions according due to the combination of by being a blocking single thread/flow application, and v10 clearly being an async de lopped application. My ninja behavior MANY times results in actions being performed on the wrong note e.g., due to the fact that I am faster in my typing than v10 is in updating the UI correctly. 

Does that clarify a bit why I repeat in the forums once a week that v10 is not speedy enough yet, in both usage/workflow as technically, Dave?  Of course this applies not to the workflows of everybody, but it does to mine. 

Very much so! And it also speaks to what I meant about subjective experience. You've developed a very specific workflow for very specific needs, and I can understand why v. 10 would slow you down. I have nothing comparable to that in my experience, which is one reason it doesn't slow me down.

What that means from the perspective of Evernote's development is impossible to say, of course, from where we sit. They could take a survey and find out how many users need lightning fast tag editing; but neither BenSpoo nor Evernote's previous management has shown much inclination to survey users about anything. Perhaps RENT, whatever it will prove to be exactly, will help with the speed of some of these operations, or perhaps not. And I agree that the keyboard shortcuts could use some work: even I think having a shortcut such as Alt+H to hide unused tags would be more helpful than having Alt+Ctrl+Shift+P available to "Pause renderer with debugger"--seriously, does any Evernote user want to do that (or know what it is)? Even the Alt+Ctrl+T shortcut to edit tags on selected notes seems not to do anything.

• Like 1
On 1/13/2024 at 7:50 PM, msg5 said:

Albert - awesome, you rock.

6.25.3 still works on Windows.  Just downloaded and tested it on a Win11 machine that 6.25.1 failed to complete a sign-in after the sign-out test.

Further, confirmed that 6.25.3 still works after a sign-out and sign-in.

I enabled multi-factor authentication on my account a while back.  Everyone using Evernote should.

I need to find a 6.x solution for macOS...  If I can't, I'll have to run a VMware Fusion VM in Unity for Evernote access in a Windows VM.  I'm really going to miss the EN 6.x macOS client.  It had some really cool functionality in it, like keyboard shortcuts for custom colors and a bunch of other Apple-y environment benefits.

On Mac OS I went to 7.14 and it is working again and at first sight still very similar to 6.x

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Hiding unused tags again would be great and I would like the option to automatically apply parent tags when a child tag is selected.  It is been a while for me, but I think that was a Legacy option as well.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, agsteele said:

I think it more likely that a new meta data editable date field could be added and made searchable/sortable.

This actual last updated field is a system variable that cannot be edited.

This suggestion seems like it is an easy fix.  This does not require major changes to the system, and the User should be allowed to select whether to sort by a system generated or a user edited field.  The underlying system variable can be left in place.  

• Level 5

Every additional field in metadata requires extensive system modifications: UI, logic/code , APIs and export format needed to be adapted.

This is nothing but an "easy fix". Telling so only shows a deep ignorance about keeping a softwares integrity intact.

With other words: Wishful thinking.

• Confused 1
  • Level 5*
18 minutes ago, p1154 said:

This suggestion seems like it is an easy fix. 

This is fixable, but don't assume it is easy.  What may seem easy at first glance can tend to have a cascading effect.  

• Level 5

Actually there is nothing to fix, because nothing is broken.

An individual user decided to write individual content into a field. Then this individual user needs to find a solution for this individual lock up. As usual we try to assist. In this case I would use the off chance that some legacy clients still seem to be syncing to extract the content, and copy it to a safer location. This fixes it.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Actually there is nothing to fix, because nothing is broken.

Semantics.  Someone is suggesting a change.  I’m suggesting it is possible, but likely not as easy as they may think.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*

If your old,  unsupported software is not working,  that's it I'm afraid.  Try v10 to extract your notes.  I deleted your other post on this - please don't double post,  and please don't SHOUT.

• Level 5
12 hours ago, JustinAiken said:

The new version doesn't see my old local notebooks.

The new version does not support local notebooks, and it never will. This help document explains how to convert local notebooks into synced notebooks for the new version :

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209005107

Since local notebooks are only saved on your own computer, you are responsible for them yourself.

If you don’t want to store them on the EN server, you need to export them from the legacy client, and these are the export options:

ENEX for a later import, HTML to read them with every browser, including attachments, PDF as a standard format for the notes, but without (!) attachments. Your notebooks, your call.

On 1/14/2024 at 10:49 AM, agsteele said:

The multi note operations that @PinkElephant describes pre-date RTE and have been present since v10 was released. I'm not sure that RTE had made this particular issue any worse nor, indeed, better. 

For me v10 has made it worse. Not RTE specifically. In v6 I could changed (and I did so) sometimes thousands, many times hundreds, daily 10's of notes at once adding/removing tags. The Edit Tag dialogue was 10x faster in usage/UX, support easier workflow, options to hide unused tags, being able to type the beginning of tags in the taglist itself. ASide from from that, when presseing "OK" in that dialogue v6 would be lightning fast and then sync in the background. v10 seems to do all these calls online or something acting VERY slow. Though I still have to try @PinkElephant suggestion to "offline" Evernote first and then change tags, it responding faster like v6. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5

This advise was posted by me already several times, so maybe I just repeat it: When I know I do multiple note operations with v10, I often take the app offline before starting. The execution time of v10 depends on doing the operation in a sequential manner, practically a one note operation running in loops. Each notes processing is directly synced with the server, before the next note is tackled.

When doing the same offline, the whole operation takes place on the local database. It is significantly faster. The syncing then takes place when the app goes back online, and works down the changes made in offline mode.

I just need to keep the app open (can be in the background) until the changes have synced. This is usually pretty fast as well, the total of offline change and online sync summed up is faster, than doing the whole while online. 

Worse case, instead of being blocked from sign-in on the EN Legacy client, I'd like to have continued access, even if sync doesn't work.  I'd maintain storage and backup of my own data.

It would drastically change the way I work with EN on multiple machines, but I'd do it, because the 6.x client is still the fastest and most efficient for my workflows.

I've understood for a long time that Legacy is going away, and appreciate that it's been around as long as it has, but don't lock us out of its use altogether by requiring the sign-in to open and access the content.  Or do to confirm a subscription, but at least make it an option to continue using the client, even without sync.

• Level 5

All clients since 2008 are build around cloud sync. To use them, you need to be logged into your account. Even when offline, it would only work when logged in before. Maybe it will work based on the last login for a while, no idea.

But in general I think it's not a good idea to keep a software build for cloud sync just to tender a local dataset. Beside the fact that it's never a good idea to keep deprecated software on an active computer.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

The new version does not support local notebooks, and it never will. This help document explains how to convert local notebooks into synced notebooks for the new version :

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209005107

Since local notebooks are only saved on your own computer, you are responsible for them yourself.

If you don’t want to store them on the EN server, you need to export them from the legacy client, and these are the export options:

ENEX for a later import, HTML to read them with every browser, including attachments, PDF as a standard format for the notes, but without (!) attachments. Your notebooks, your call.

How can I do this? I did the forced update but it never gave me a popup asking about my local notebooks and no where on the new screen does it have the Tools option referenced on the link above. Thank you for any  help!

Screenshot 2024-01-15 at 10.45.51 AM.png

22 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

OTOH ... the content of a note is "data," but is its unique identifier perhaps metadata?

Sorry, you're right. Note data is all you see within the edtiing window of note. All other stuff that we see in note lists or note property dialogs (notebook, title, dates, tags, ...) are metadata. So a list of notes is simply a list of note-ids. If there is some other method to sync metadata, there is no need to open a RTE room for each selected note (because the select-state itself is metadata).

If we're right, RTE should be a solution for the speed problem on operations of multiple selected notes. 🙏 Exciting...

• Like 1
16 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

This advise was posted by me already several times, so maybe I just repeat it: When I know I do multiple note operations with v10, I often take the app offline before starting. The execution time of v10 depends on doing the operation in a sequential manner, practically a one note operation running in loops. Each notes processing is directly synced with the server, before the next note is tackled.

When doing the same offline, the whole operation takes place on the local database. It is significantly faster. The syncing then takes place when the app goes back online, and works down the changes made in offline mode.

I just need to keep the app open (can be in the background) until the changes have synced. This is usually pretty fast as well, the total of offline change and online sync summed up is faster, than doing the whole while online. 

I have spent a few days now using both V10 and the old Legacy 6.25.3 side by side.  I have to say I have definitely observed that V10 is quite a lot slower than 6.25.3.  I don't know that switching to offline mode to get a temporary speed boost is a great solution.  Interrupting your work flow to go offline for a speed boost and then going back online to sync the changes is a pretty substantial extra step when trying to get stuff done.  Bottom line, V10 is a lot slower for people accustomed to the fast speed of 6.25.  I've also been experimenting with exporting some notebooks to Joplin and that experience is much closer to the speed of Legacy 6.25.3.  I am worried about the future of Evernote, I don't think V10 is a great product at this time given how slow V10 is.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5

This trick of taking the app briefly offline is only helpful when doing multi note operations.

I‘m on a Mac, and use a small menu bar helper called TripMode. It allows to take specific apps offline while keeping the internet connection. It‘s one click, EN is offline, I do what I want, after being done it’s a second click, and EN is online again. All other functions remain online.

You could probably do the same by using a Firewall setting to take an app temporarily off the grid by blocking it.

• Thanks 1

I really don't like new Evernote client. Shame on you for turning off the old versions. I guess I'll switch to another app. Because new windows app in inconvenient and slow.

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, yetiman said:

hey, guys. I just reinstalled V6.25 and it seems to work again, at least for now. 
If you wanna get back the quick and user friendly version of Evernote, feel free to down it from the attached file. 

[ link removed ]

I know you might mean well, but this is a terrible idea to download and install an executable file hosted on somebody's personal Google drive folder. It is so easy to tamper with an executable and embed malware. [Flagging for moderators to remove.]

• Like 4
  • Level 5
On 1/16/2024 at 8:52 AM, Griever said:

I really don't like new Evernote client. Shame on you for turning off the old versions. I guess I'll switch to another app. Because new windows app in inconvenient and slow.

Welcome to the forums. These spaces seem to work best and most friendly when people qualify their opinions and experiences with IMHO or "at least that's how it is for me." For me, v. 10 works fine, not inconvenient and not slow (maybe because I'm slower myself). For you, it seems to be a problem. There are excellent and necessary reasons for turning off the older versions; search the forum to find them. Or keep kvetching, someone is bound to explain it. As for shaming Evernote, try it here: feedback@evernote.com; we're just your fellow users, and the shame bounces off of us.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
10 minutes ago, Boot17 said:

this is a terrible idea to download and install an executable file hosted on somebody's personal Google drive folder

I totally agree - plus it's borrowing trouble to install an unreliable and unsupported app.  If anyone needs to export notes it's still possible to do so from v10.  Link post deleted.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
32 分鐘前, Boot17說:

I know you might mean well, but this is a terrible idea to download and install an executable file hosted on somebody's personal Google drive folder. It is so easy to tamper with an executable and embed malware. [Flagging for moderators to remove.]

sorry, I didn't know about that. 

I just wanna let everyone know that the old version is working again. 

The official source for V6.25 is no longer available. The file I shared was the original one from Evernote website which I saved as a copy.  

but anyway I will delete the file and those who need the file can search by themselves online ...somewhere with more reliable sources. 

cheers

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
6 minutes ago, yetiman said:

I just wanna let everyone know that the old version is working again.

But likely not for much longer.

If someone really, really wants the older version, though not recommended, it can be downloaded from file hippo.

15 hours ago, s2sailor said:

If someone really, really wants the older version, though not recommended, it can be downloaded from file hippo.

You don't even have to do that.  It's still available, directly from Evernote's CDN. 

EDIT: made the link HTTPS for easier access

https://cdn1.evernote.com/win6/public/Evernote_6.25.2.9198.exe

There's even a link to it right on this forum: 

If there's a later version than 6.25.2.9198 just edit the above URL to contain the version number you need.