👉 Input needed – What issues did you experience in the last couple of days?

2 hours ago, Eden Wheeler said:

In the last couple of days, I faced a few issues with Evernote. The sync feature was slow, causing delays in accessing updated information across devices. Formatting glitches made it frustrating to apply text changes, as they often reverted back to previous settings. The search functionality provided inaccurate results, making it difficult to find specific notes or keywords. Recently I completed AWS training and during this training I used Evernote Additionally, there was occasional lag and slow response times within the app, disrupting my workflow. Despite these problems, Evernote remains a useful tool, but I hope these issues can be resolved promptly to improve productivity and user experience.

Hey Eden - hope all is well with you. If you haven't already, could you possibly support the team by submitting/voting for you issues through this link, password is Evernote

https://pollunit.com/en/polls/forum-issues

Thanks,

Neil 

I have been happily clipping here and there but when I went to EN via Chrome / Windows 10 - cannot access content of my notebooks. I see the various notes that I have clipped - some screenshots, some links, but as soon as I try and click on any of those notes, I get the "Page unresponsive" message. I click "wait" and eventually I can select (click) a note but again, get the unresponsive message. Bottom line - I CAN NO LONGER OPEN MY NOTES.

My notes are generated by the "Clip to Evernote" interface as I move through the net via Chrome.

Are others having this issue (I see it mentioned on Reddit) and is there a work around or setting that will allow me to access my notes again. Or, sadly, is there a way of downloading my content? I would hate to lose my notes. But why continue paying for this extremely frustrating way of losing information? 

Evernote had worked for YEARS and now it doesn't. Please someone honestly tell me what is happening.

Lynn

Some change that was made last night has resulted in me being unable to open any notes in Evernote from a desktop. After several minutes showing tips and a progress bar, it refused to sync (but actually was syncing on my phone). It took 100% of the resources on my desktop. I shut it down, restarted my computer, and got the same result.

Please let us export all our notes out in one go, so we can be sure to have a backup even if it's just locked in a single .enex file. Please don't hold them hostage anymore. If it's a matter of money, I would pay to have my files released.

• Evernote Expert

I don't think that your experience is particularly common. Heavy resource use often indicates a corrupted note on the local copy of your data. 

File, Sign Out, Remove your data. When you sign back in the notes will be rebuilt.

As far as the note export is concerned, there are a number of ways you can achieve that. This has been documented in many threads.

3 hours ago, agsteele said:

As far as the note export is concerned, there are a number of ways you can achieve that. This has been documented in many threads.

I've been using Evernote daily since 2013. I have 5,600 notes in about 200 notebooks. I know how to export; I would like an option to export all notebooks and all their notes in a single export action instead of one notebook at a time. This is not possible even if you roll back to v6.25.x.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
11 minutes ago, Jane Doe said:

I would like an option to export all notebooks and all their notes in a single export action instead of one notebook at a time. This is not possible even if you roll back to v6.25.x.

Actually, it is possible in V6.  A user just posted this yesterday.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, Jane Doe said:

a single export action

ENEX files don't retain notebook meta data so exporting all your notes and notebooks into one ENEX file gets you a big random heap of notes in one notebook.  That's why,  even in 6.25,  the advice is to export one notebook at a time into it's own file.  And the method described above does exactly that.  I used it a couple of days ago and created a stack of backup files,  one per notebook.  I do wish we had something like it in v10!

5 hours ago, Jane Doe said:

I've been using Evernote daily since 2013. I have 5,600 notes in about 200 notebooks. I know how to export; I would like an option to export all notebooks and all their notes in a single export action instead of one notebook at a time. This is not possible even if you roll back to v6.25.x.

I use backupery and am fairly satisfied with it (speed is low, but that's due to API limitations at Evernotes end), you can automatically back-up to one ENEX per notebook, and/or to a single ENEX per note.

• Evernote Expert

Which version of Evernote are you using? Web, direct download (ddl), or from the Apple store?

I'm not aware of a general login issue. With two separate accounts this might point to a network issue.

Evernote is heading down the path to screwdom!!

A lot of my content/notes are gathered using Web Clipper on the desktop (Mac) or using the Share box to Evernote on the iPad or iPhone. 

Those notes are no longer editable - they just have a frame around the whole thing labelled "Web Clip" and I can't edit them, eg to get rid of bits I don't want.

Web Clipper on the Mac (in Firefox, fully updated) is very hit and miss - sometimes it comes up, other times I can click on the icon on the task bar till the cows come home and nothing happens.

Notes not editable is a HUGE "no-no", but now the menu item to "Simplify Formatting" has also gone.  I used that a lot.

So now we're paying more, for much less functionality.

Please bring back editable notes from web article clippings, fix up the dodgy Web Clipper extension, bring back Simplify Formatting, and all the other bugs that have crept into this disaster.  I've been using Evernote since it started, and have come to rely on it for almost everything I need to remember as random notes, files, research papers, etc.  It seems to be going downhill fast!!

EDIT: I just discovered, purely by accident, that if I click on the top of the frame labelled "Web Clip", there is an icon that says "Make editable".  That potentially fixes one problem mentioned above.  But why do that?  All notes should be editable by default.  Why should I have to find - accidentally - that an extra click is needed to make my notes editable?

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
33 minutes ago, NightStalker said:

But why do that? 

Why not?  Personally, I prefer the block style.  It makes it easy to select the block and move it around other items that may be in the note.  I frequently will add things to notes with web clips.  I almost never edit web clips, and as you discovered, editing is a click away if that is what you need.  Different approaches I guess.

Fair point - but perhaps the ability to choose the default behaviour may be the answer?  In other words, web clips default to either an uneditable block, or fully editable?

Most of the web clips I get also carry a lot of the useless ads that seem to be scattered everywhere over most web sites these days, so I've routinely gone through them on the computer, especially if clipped off the iPad, and edit all the ads out.  That's also one thing the "Simplify Formatting" command was also good for - after editing, leaving perhaps something of a disorganised page, click on Simplify Formatting and everything gets tidied up nicely.  Mostly.

• Level 5*

Sure, options are always good.  Suggest it and maybe it will get added but we are talking about a single click in this case.  I have a fairly long list of irritations with v10.  It is too click intensive in many ways but I've decided to just adapt.  Life is too short.

• Level 5

No issue with web clips created by sharing on iOS. This is no web clipper created by EN. Safari grabs the content and places it into a sharing „box“, the EN app picks it up there and builds the note. It can only use what sharing dropped in first place.

The web clipper on MacOS is a browser extension created by EN. It has more control at the source over the content it is clipping.

The web clip itself can only be a representation of the original page. A page build by a modern CMS is not a monolithic piece of HTML code. It is a structured collection of many small elements, that are picked from many sources (content as ads, buttons and tracking elements) and dynamically pieced together in the moment the page is opened.

The next user will see a different page.

The web clip is a static „view“ of the website. Since it is one piece of HTML code, editing means breaking the code up. I think simplifying the code first is a logical step to allow straightforward, lean editing.

Anybody who wants to edit „the original“ needs a full HTML editor. I don’t expect this from my note app.

• Like 1

Appreciate your points, as always, but the change to the monolithic "Web Clip" seems to be very recent.  Maybe that's an iOS change, perhaps?

The Web Clipper extension - at least in Firefox - seems suddenly very flaky.  Sometimes works, sometimes does nothing.  The "Complete Article" selection no longer seems to show the boundaries of the selection, at least on my iMac/Firefox system.  Simplified Article sometimes works, sometimes doesn't.  Often leaves images out with gaps where they should have been. 

Everything USED to work just fine.  Sharing from iOS resulted in neat, fully editable notes.  Notes gathered by the Web Clipper browser extension were clearly marked by outlines which were adjustable, simplified article was superb with all images intact, and again, produced fully editable notes.

Maybe the ever-growing complexity of so many web pages, with slip-sliding overlays and chopped up scrolling text (which I find almost unreadable) make things very difficult for the Web Clipper?

But having posted the problems here from the user point of view, maybe things might improve?  One can only live in hope...

• Level 5

There are 3 web clipper extensions, since there are 3 browser engines. Chrome(ium) is maintained by Google, WebKit (Safari) by Apple and Firefox / Mozilla uses it‘s own as well (I think it’s called Gecko). Each engine treats the websites differently, and the extensions need to take this into account.

You can check the release numbers of the WebClipper extension - usually a new clipper is released for Chrome first, then Safari and finally Firefox. This follows more or less the market shares.

Goggle pushes browser development, because similar to Android the browser is the piece of code it wants to install on the devices of the users. It is their bridgehead into everybodies privacy. They have maybe 70% of the browser market, so every dev follows their twists. And they twist a lot, dominating HTML development, and this makes it difficult (expensive) for all others to follow them.

Which may explain why FF is sometimes a little behind, and all extensions lag a little more still.

• Evernote Expert
1 hour ago, NightStalker said:

Appreciate your points, as always, but the change to the monolithic "Web Clip" seems to be very recent.  Maybe that's an iOS change, perhaps?

Actually this is the way it has been with v10 since it was released. We each experienced this at the point we moved from Legacy. So I've been working with this for over two years. Someone who upgraded this week will only have it just now :)

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, NightStalker said:

Maybe the ever-growing complexity of so many web pages, with slip-sliding overlays and chopped up scrolling text (which I find almost unreadable) make things very difficult for the Web Clipper?

I suspect this is a big part of the problem.  Also there are some truly terrible websites out there. Evernote doesn’t always get it right, but when comparing to other apps, I haven’t found another that does it consistently better.

• Like 1

Right now 12:30 PDT on 7/14/2023 

I'm having a problem (windows desktop app)  with drag/drop a .pdf file into an existing note. 

I Get a dialog message "unable to upload" and the file winds up in the windows "Failed Uploads" folder.

Last had ths problem for an extended period of time (hours) on 6/23/2023. I gave up at that time and the next day everything was working.

External file is 79KB and the Evernote Note is 7MB.

20230714ensc Evernote fails to upload file message.jpg

On 7/14/2023 at 10:05 PM, amInMarina said:

Right now 12:30 PDT on 7/14/2023 

I'm having a problem (windows desktop app)  with drag/drop a .pdf file into an existing note. 

I Get a dialog message "unable to upload" and the file winds up in the windows "Failed Uploads" folder.

Last had ths problem for an extended period of time (hours) on 6/23/2023. I gave up at that time and the next day everything was working.

External file is 79KB and the Evernote Note is 7MB.

20230714ensc Evernote fails to upload file message.jpg

I just got the same problem on my android client with a captured photo

Sometimes android v10.52.1 RTE sync still blocks in one direction:  edits on android client are still synced to windows and web client, but not in the other direction. After waiting for 5 minutes, closing the note and reopening it in the android  client solves the problem. No data loss.

On 7/20/2023 at 11:03 AM, eric99 said:

Sometimes android v10.52.1 RTE sync still blocks in one direction:  edits on android client are still synced to windows and web client, but not in the other direction. After waiting for 5 minutes, closing the note and reopening it in the android  client solves the problem. No data loss.

This hangup can be reproduced by quickly typing a few minutes into the Windows client. You will see that the Android client's RTE sync slows down and suddenly stops altogether. As mentioned earlier, changes made in the Android client will remain synced in the Windows client.

It never recovers until you reopen the note in the Android client.

Hello, the last few days I've experienced some issues with Evernote App! I have passcode , so after I entered passcode or biometrics it goes all white/ blank, nothing comes up! I tried: shut off phone, restarted phone, uninstalled app and reinstalled app and nothing! I have an Android Galaxy S22 Ultra! I've been paying for this app and I need app to be working as not always can go to website ! Please assist 

Is this a known regression?

When I select a notebook, searching within it is denied with the pop-up message: "Permissions lost, you can no longer access notebook XYZ" (my  translation...)

It's only a search problem because I can still visit all the notes in the selected notebook without any problem. Also, a global search will still return all expected notes

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, eric99 said:

When I select a notebook, searching within it is denied with the pop-up message: "Permissions lost, you can no longer access notebook XYZ" (my  translation...)

It's only a search problem because I can still visit all the notes in the selected notebook without any problem. Also, a global search will still return all expected notes

This has just started happening o me as well.

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert

Not universal. ie not affecting me so far.  Can you describe how you discovered this?  For me, I opened a notebook. Click the search icon which shows that the search is in the selected notebook.  I searched for a single word term and all the relevant notes are selected.  No error.

I have Evernote 10.59.5 direct download.

53 minutes ago, agsteele said:

Not universal. ie not affecting me so far.  Can you describe how you discovered this?  For me, I opened a notebook. Click the search icon which shows that the search is in the selected notebook.  I searched for a single word term and all the relevant notes are selected.  No error.

yep, exactly like that, on windows client, same version as well...

edit: no problem if I select a notebook via filters

1 hour ago, agsteele said:

It manifests itself if I try to filter a search, say by date or tags etc.  This does not appear to happen on a simple word search.

43 minutes ago, bmcl26 said:

It manifests itself if I try to filter a search, say by date or tags etc.  This does not appear to happen on a simple word search.

weird, in my windows client it also occurs with a simple word search (but only when I select the notebook in the left sidebar)

Have you already created a ticket or are they reading it in this thread?

23 minutes ago, eric99 said:

Have you already created a ticket or are they reading it in this thread?

I have not submitted a ticket yet, i just picked up that i was not the only one affected,  I submitted a ticker earlier today due to Calendar entries which customer service managed to resolve.   

4 hours ago, eric99 said:

This is happening to me, too, I'm on 10.59.5-mac-mas-public

For me, seems isolated to the search function, as I can still apply a notebook search filter and get the desired results

I changed my email address and suddenly had an empty new account and couldn't even get out of the intro.

And your support email address isn't actually listed anywhere.    

Luckily when I finally DID manage to log out and logged in with my old email address my account was still there.

On 7/21/2023 at 6:42 PM, eric99 said:

@Federico Simionato The most recent windows client 10.59.5 (5236) seems to have serious regression now:

• searching in a notebook is denied with the pop-up message: "Permissions lost, you can no longer access notebook XYZ"
  • sometimes global search in all notes returns the full note list instead of the filtered one.
  • deleting a note by pressing the delete button doesn't always respond
  • the note menu is sometimes completely grayed-out for some notes
  • when scrolling to the bottom of a result list with length > 128 ( 2^7 ), it always jumps back automatically to the top of the list. So the notes at the end of the list are unreachable
  • sometimes a global search does return a result list, but then after just waiting 10 seconds, it spontaneously starts repeating the search at regular intervals of 4 seconds forever.

Edit: I found out that the global search oscillation is caused by the sort order of the result list which was default set to 'relevant' .  Apparently it's trying endlessly to find the most relevant order. When I set the sort order to 'update time', the global search seems to work normally. The other problems I mentioned before are still there.

Edit: here a complete crash by just clicking the notes button in the left side bar after the search oscillation (probably related)!

Error: Minified React error #185; visit https://reactjs.org/docs/error-decoder.html?invariant=185 for the full message or use the non-minified dev environment for full errors and additional helpful warnings. at hi (app://evernote/4448.js:2:92504) at Lo (app://evernote/4448.js:2:64442) at app://evernote/6034.js:1314:10409 at Ui (app://evernote/4448.js:2:104192) at n.unstable_runWithPriority (app://evernote/4448.js:2:121861) at $l (app://evernote/4448.js:2:44842) at Fi (app://evernote/4448.js:2:103655) at bi (app://evernote/4448.js:2:95183) at app://evernote/4448.js:2:45065 at n.unstable_runWithPriority (app://evernote/4448.js:2:121861) at $l (app://evernote/4448.js:2:44842) at Yl (app://evernote/4448.js:2:45010) at Kl (app://evernote/4448.js:2:44945) at Ui (app://evernote/4448.js:2:104378) at n.unstable_runWithPriority (app://evernote/4448.js:2:121861) at $l (app://evernote/4448.js:2:44842) at Fi (app://evernote/4448.js:2:103655) at app://evernote/4448.js:2:103566 at I (app://evernote/4448.js:2:120921) at w.port1.onmessage (app://evernote/4448.js:2:119644)

image.thumb.png.ed106d6eaca591f27c65b6155cb19c6c.png

• Like 3
3 hours ago, eric99 said:

@Federico Simionato The most recent windows client 10.59.5 (5236) seems to have serious regression now:

• searching in a notebook is denied with the pop-up message: "Permissions lost, you can no longer access notebook XYZ"
  • sometimes global search in all notes returns the full note list instead of the filtered one.
  • deleting a note by pressing the delete button doesn't always respond
  • the note menu is sometimes completely grayed-out for some notes

Edit: and now a complete crash by just clicking the notes button in the left side bar!

Error: Minified React error #185; visit https://reactjs.org/docs/error-decoder.html?invariant=185 for the full message or use the non-minified dev environment for full errors and additional helpful warnings. at hi (app://evernote/4448.js:2:92504) at Lo (app://evernote/4448.js:2:64442) at app://evernote/6034.js:1314:10409 at Ui (app://evernote/4448.js:2:104192) at n.unstable_runWithPriority (app://evernote/4448.js:2:121861) at $l (app://evernote/4448.js:2:44842) at Fi (app://evernote/4448.js:2:103655) at bi (app://evernote/4448.js:2:95183) at app://evernote/4448.js:2:45065 at n.unstable_runWithPriority (app://evernote/4448.js:2:121861) at $l (app://evernote/4448.js:2:44842) at Yl (app://evernote/4448.js:2:45010) at Kl (app://evernote/4448.js:2:44945) at Ui (app://evernote/4448.js:2:104378) at n.unstable_runWithPriority (app://evernote/4448.js:2:121861) at $l (app://evernote/4448.js:2:44842) at Fi (app://evernote/4448.js:2:103655) at app://evernote/4448.js:2:103566 at I (app://evernote/4448.js:2:120921) at w.port1.onmessage (app://evernote/4448.js:2:119644)

image.thumb.png.ed106d6eaca591f27c65b6155cb19c6c.png

I logged out (cleared all data), reinstalled and still the same problem. It looks like the GUI gets in some endless (recursive?) loop after a search, refreshing every 2 seconds for a while.

This confirms the React error 185 "Maximum update depth exceeded. This can happen when a component repeatedly calls setState inside componentWillUpdate or componentDidUpdate. React limits the number of nested updates to prevent infinite loops."

edit: sometimes a global search does return a result list, but then after just waiting 10 seconds, it spontaneously starts repeating the search at regular intervals of 4 seconds forever.

Edited by eric99
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, eric99 said:

The most recent windows client 10.59.5 (5236) seems to have serious regression now:

I too have had serious issues with this release. I have downgraded my desktop version to 10.58.8, which works fine. The web version (10.59.5) has the same issues.

I can't replicate all your points but the second bullet point is definitely my experience too. The problem is the "sometimes" and I haven't been able to identify a pattern. 

My most reproducible issue is selecting a tag in the sidebar. First click normally works. After that only alternate clicks work. The note list (but not the grey extra filters list) flashes as if it is going to update, but the new tag is not selected. Here's a recording:

image.gif.dcbf0eeff08debeedf2fd28b4a4de752.gif

I get a similar issue with the filter menu.

I wonder why "summary of Evernote alternatives" has suddenly come to the top of my note list!.

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Mike P said:

I too have had serious issues with this release. I have downgraded my desktop version to 10.58.8, which works fine. The web version (10.59.5) has the same issues.

I can't replicate all your points but the second bullet point is definitely my experience too. The problem is the "sometimes" and I haven't been able to identify a pattern. 

My most reproducible issue is selecting a tag in the sidebar. First click normally works. After that only alternate clicks work. The note list (but not the grey extra filters list) flashes as if it is going to update, but the new tag is not selected. Here's a recording:

image.gif.dcbf0eeff08debeedf2fd28b4a4de752.gif

I get a similar issue with the filter menu.

I wonder why "summary of Evernote alternatives" has suddenly come to the top of my note list!.

Yes, I'm also going back to 10.58.8. I don't trust 10.59.5 anymore, very unpredictable! SQA should test more thoroughly, especially now that they completely took over the software...

44 minutes ago, RobertJLee said:

Adding a tag to shortcuts then clicking on it does NOT result in relevant notes being displayed. it used to and was the basis of my menu system.

Interesting. I get symtoms similar to those I described above when I click on tags in the shortcuts. ie doesn't work first time, but does eventually.

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, Mike P said:

Interesting. I get symtoms similar to those I described above when I click on tags in the shortcuts. ie doesn't work first time, but does eventually.

= something YET AGAIN undocumented has changed and is broken

1 hour ago, RobertJLee said:

= something YET AGAIN undocumented has changed and is broken

Yeah, but this might be the result of taking over a monolitic code base: you turn one ***** to fix a specific problem, and suddenly an unexpected side effect occurs in a completely different piece of the code base. Therefore, before changing anything, much more (unit) tests should be written to verify that the behavior hasn't been changed after refactoring.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, eric99 said:

V10.59.5 should be roll backed or fixed urgently as this version is useless without proper search and unpredictable behavior / crashes

I've rolled back as well.  V10.59.5 didn't fix the task syncing issues and introduced new bugs in both searching and import folders.  I think they may have let the original team go a bit too soon.  I'm going to upgrade more cautiously moving forward.

• Level 5*

The release notes mentioned real-time editing fixes.  I was hopeful that included tasks.  I agree they weren't fixed, but the behavior in 10.59.5 is different so some change(s) were made.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

I just want to thank folks for the reports on the problems with v. 10.59.5. My laptop does not yet offer to update to it from 10.58.8, and I will refuse it if it ever does.

Wise move my friend.  During the V10 journey, I eagerly awaited the new versions and upgraded as soon as they became available.  I looked forward to the bug fixes, occasional new stuff, and the hope that some legacy functions were being added back.  This is the first time I felt the need to regress on V10...

3 hours ago, s2sailor said:

Wise move my friend.  During the V10 journey, I eagerly awaited the new versions and upgraded as soon as they became available.  I looked forward to the bug fixes, occasional new stuff, and the hope that some legacy functions were being added back.  This is the first time I felt the need to regress on V10...

How do you rollback to the previous version?  Thank you.

• Level 5*
22 minutes ago, aber00 said:

How do you rollback to the previous version?  Thank you.

I still had the installer for the prior version in my download folder.  Just install it over what you currently have.  If you are using 10.59 and did move the location of the data that was allowed in that version, you should move it back to the default location before installing the older version.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, s2sailor said:

I still had the installer for the prior version in my download folder.  Just install it over what you currently have.  If you are using 10.59 and did move the location of the data that was allowed in that version, you should move it back to the default location before installing the older version.

As a precaution I uninstalled 10.59 using Revo Uninstaller (Windows) before reinstalling 10.58. I'm glad it works without that step.

• Like 2
On 7/23/2023 at 12:28 PM, eric99 said:

I logged out (cleared all data), reinstalled and still the same problem. It looks like the GUI gets in some endless (recursive?) loop after a search, refreshing every 2 seconds for a while.

This confirms the React error 185 "Maximum update depth exceeded. This can happen when a component repeatedly calls setState inside componentWillUpdate or componentDidUpdate. React limits the number of nested updates to prevent infinite loops."

edit: sometimes a global search does return a result list, but then after just waiting 10 seconds, it spontaneously starts repeating the search at regular intervals of 4 seconds forever.

I found out that the global search oscillation is caused by the sort order of the result list which was default set to 'relevant' .  Apparently it's trying endlessly to find the most relevant order and gets never satisfied, probably because I write only highly relevant notes 😉.

When I set the sort order to 'update time', the global search seems to work normally. The other problems I mentioned before are still there.

edit: even with the 'update time' sort order set, there is another problem: when scrolling to the bottom of a result list with length > 128 ( 2^7 ), it always jumps back automatically to the top of the list. So the notes at the end of the list are unreachable.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, Mike P said:

As a precaution I uninstalled 10.59 using Revo Uninstaller (Windows) before reinstalling 10.58. I'm glad it works without that step.

Uninstalling is probably the safest way.

2 hours ago, Mike P said:

Thank you so much.  I will work on this.

Ticket submitted #3720935 re loss off access to notebook. Activity log also sent.

Let's see if anyone ever gets back to me. ( never had a response from EN other than off the shelf nonsense about update software and check forums)

4 horas atrás, RobertJLee disse:

Ticket submitted #3720935 re loss off access to notebook. Activity log also sent.

Let's see if anyone ever gets back to me. ( never had a response from EN other than off the shelf nonsense about update software and check forums)

I have the same issues with Evernote support. Just now they closed two tickets without answering or solving the issue.
They updated Evernote for WEB even knowing the terrible problems that this version has.
The worst thing is that we have no official position on what happens.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*

I've noticed that some tickets got closed even though there were still things to be done,  but that's the beauty of the https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/requests page.  Pick one of your tickets from the list,  scroll to the bottom of the page and you should see 'open a follow-up' or some such. 

Simply ask for more help or an explanation if a fix is not available to you.

• Like 1
6 minutos atrás, gazumped disse:

I've noticed that some tickets got closed even though there were still things to be done,  but that's the beauty of the https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/requests page.  Pick one of your tickets from the list,  scroll to the bottom of the page and you should see 'open a follow-up' or some such. 

Simply ask for more help or an explanation if a fix is not available to you.

Thanks for the tip.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Silvio'ss said:

The worst thing is that we have no official position on what happens.

Yeah, since we are on @Federico Simionato 's thread, I hope to get some response too on the v10.59.5 regression list:

https://discussion.evernote.com/forums/topic/146555-👉-input-needed-– what-issues-did-you-experience-in-the-last-couple-of-days/?do=findComment&comment=692061

• Like 1

When the AI icon is flashing (mobile app) I assume it’s doing its thing. The issue is while it’s flashing nothing can be done to the open note, this would be acceptable if it only took seconds, but unfortunately it takes minutes, several minutes. Is there any way to disable the AI feature? If not there needs to be.

• Evernote Expert

The AI Cleanup feature requires you to actively choose to start the process in a note. So unless you tap the AI Cleanup button it does not start. However, once underway you have to allow the process to be completed.

If you have previously chosen not to show the second confirmation screen then I'm not sure what happens. Perhaps what you describe. If, like me, I have not chosen to hide the confirmation screen, then there's is a cancel button to the top right.

I've been receiving constant spam dialogues every time I open Evernote, although I don't need any of the "Pro" features and I'm happy with the free version's features (since the paid version doesn't make bugs go away). It seems to me you're missing some configuration that allows me to stop the pestering.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, elondaits said:

It seems to me you're missing some configuration that allows me to stop the pestering.

There is no missing configuration setting.  The free version comes with upgrade requests.  I’m only aware of one way to make them go away.  Actually, that’s not true.  Even if you sign on to a personal plan, you will occasionally be reminded that there is a professional plan.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, RobertJLee said:

Response basically send activity log....I have x 3

We cant replicate the issue.....screen shots sent......we can't replicate

Remove evernote and re install-then send the activity logs er many here have done that your software is broken

Use web version.......

For gods sake does nobody from EN read this forum?

It would appear this is not just MY problem.

I am wasting far too much time beta testing/error testing something I pay for.

EN acolytes try and resist urge to state the usual " if you buy milk and it is off.......which other software works without bugs"

if ANYONE here has ENs ear drag them screaming and kicking to this forum and/or send them screen shots of the threads here about these issues. .59 is a disaster and needs rolling back

• Like 5
On 7/23/2023 at 11:26 AM, eric99 said:

Same here. Continously getting error prompts when performing searches (both in notebooks and global) stating: "Permission lost, you can no longer access notebook". I'm using the latest desktop versions for windows version 10.59.5. Searching is my main function of Evernote, so this is a critical bug. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
3 hours ago, RobertJLee said:

Response basically send activity log....I have x 3

We cant replicate the issue.....screen shots sent......we can't replicate

Remove evernote and re install-then send the activity logs er many here have done that your software is broken

Use web version.......

For gods sake does nobody from EN read this forum?

It would appear this is not just MY problem.

I am wasting far too much time beta testing/error testing something I pay for.

EN acolytes try and resist urge to state the usual " if you buy milk and it is off.......which other software works without bugs"

if ANYONE here has ENs ear drag them screaming and kicking to this forum and/or send them screen shots of the threads here about these issues. .59 is a disaster and needs rolling back

To prevent this kind of chatGPT reactions from support, I  always added a forum link to my tickets to provide more context. 

Apart from that, this "notebook access denied" problem has been introduced in the latest release, they just have to check the changes they made in the latest release to find the problem...

• Like 3

Apart from that, this "notebook access denied" problem has been introduced in the latest release, they just have to check the changes they made in the latest release to find the problem...

Basic Coding....

The lunacy continues- EN 10.59 on mac right mouse, duplicate note = THREE copies of note created.

and NO Evernote it doesn't happen in web version.

Somebody go get EN " management" drag them here and hold their heads until they have read of all the issues being reported here.

• Like 3

Exactly.  I've only once before had to roll back a release to the previous V10 release because it broke too many things. It was quite a while ago. I hope this is being taken seriously and lessons being learned by the new team. I think we had some inside info in another thread that this release was delayed, presumably due to problems. It obviously was not delayed by long enough!

• Like 4

Evernote keeps crashing when i go to my home screen on both Samsung devices. S21 & S23. I cleared cache and i uninstalled and added back. nothing works. My desktop works fine on my MAC. This started after last update just a week ago. 

this is tuff to deal with, i've been a user since 2009 - 2010.

I'm on One UI 5.1 - Android 13.

Help!

I'm also experiencing these, as well as clicking on internal note link sometimes does not take me to the note. About to downgrade.

• Level 5
22 hours ago, Stark said:

Evernote keeps crashing when i go to my home screen on both Samsung devices. S21 & S23. I cleared cache and i uninstalled and added back. nothing works. My desktop works fine on my MAC. This started after last update just a week ago. 

this is tuff to deal with, i've been a user since 2009 - 2010.

I'm on One UI 5.1 - Android 13.

Help!

It might be best to contact Evernote's technical support about this. It sounds like you've already tried what your fellow users here would be likely to suggest. https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

5 hours ago, Mike P said:

Beware the auto updates!!

Well, I couldn't even find the older version on an official evernote site - just some third-party sites I struggle to trust. So I didn't even get to auto updates.

I've raised a ticket with Evernote. A lot of my workflows are broken right now. I was consulting today and needed to check my notes using tags and search - and it failed miserably. 😞

• Like 1
On 7/23/2023 at 4:52 PM, eric99 said:

Therefore, before changing anything, much more (unit) tests should be written to verify that the behavior hasn't been changed after refactoring.

Not only unit tests are the solution for such a mass of failures when using clients. I know it's a hard job to drive tests in client-server applications. But there are some solutions available that allow to automate user actions in clients, record and check system answers as textual responses or even screen image effects. With the execption of the last, these systems allow to develop test suits that can be executed in many OS environments...

It's a big advantage of EN10 to be based on a single source on all systems. This makes it possible to implement test suites that cover all systems.

@Federico Simionato: Do we can rely on the fact that EN uses such system(s) to assure your quality?
Are you allowed to tell us, which system you use? (i.e. Test Automation for GUI Testing - to mention only one of such systems 😉)

• Like 1
On 7/21/2023 at 11:36 PM, agsteele said:

We should never assume that issues are picked up via these discussions. Always submit a ticket when appropriate.

Hmm, @Federico Simionato itself (as an EN rep) opened this thread that leads to a (new) discussion forum...

Now we have (beside Reddit, FB and others really outside EN's view)

1. normal EN-driven forums to small-talk amoung users
  2. EN-driven forums with voting possibilities (holding masses sometime old ideas)
  3. EN-suggested forum(s) with voting possibilities (nice - but really necessary?)
  4. EN support channels
    1. with direct chatting possibility (that is disabled most of the time because of "heavily loaded")
    2. with ticket numbers and eMail answers

I've made very good and some bad experiences with the direct support channel. But I'm not sure whether this is really EN's most liked technique to interact with thousands of users... As long as there a enough L4, L5, Experts and Staff users available, I like (1) und take the discussions to point out the weight of incidents when using (4.2)

• Evernote Expert
1 hour ago, AlbertR said:

As long as there a enough L4, L5, Experts and Staff users available, I like (1) und take the discussions to point out the weight of incidents when using (4.2)

Nothing wrong with that. We just never know how much issues are picked up via the forums. Evernote Experts are encouraged to submit tickets in addition to any discussion. That's my preferred approach. Here, we often find solutions and ways of working that resolve things. The tickets flag the bigger issues for the developers. 

I know that the numbers of tickets on an issue are used to monitor how things are going.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*

I'm not sure whether this is really EN's most liked technique to interact with thousands of users...

No knowing what the numbers are now,  but at one stage Evernote was in the multiple hundreds of millions of users - granted that includes dormant, seldom-used and multiple user accounts (I think I have three),  but calls would also come in from new and inexperienced users.  I asked my new friend ChatGPT about budgeting for calls and it has some interesting (but long) opinions...  I pushed it for some numbers though,  and got

As a starting point, budgeting for around 1% of users might be reasonable, but it's essential to closely monitor the situation and adjust the budget as you gather real-world data. If you're confident in the application's design, user onboarding, and support infrastructure, you could aim for a lower percentage, like 0.5% or even less. The key is to be flexible and adapt based on actual user behavior and feedback once the application is live.

I believe Bending Spoons currently has 400 staff.  One person can deal with about 11,000 calls per year at absolute maximum - 8 hour days / 5 day weeks / no time off.  (I used to run one of these operations,  so this is my 'expert' back-of-an-envelope guess.)  - In practice the average human would leave after the first 4 weeks of that!

But continuing this exercise 400 staff theoretically equals (say) 4.5M calls/yr.  No coding / no development,  just calls.  At 1% of users,  this means all of Bending Spoons staff could probably just about cope with handling calls from Evernote's (and their own) guesstimated user base of around 400M.

BUT there would be no time for anything else.  And staff churn would be a record headache.

ChatGPT (going to call it Hal from now on) mentioned a lot of sensible ways to try to keep call volumes down - FAQ's and chat being two of them.  Obviously that's an ongoing and developing process in any company - particularly one that just went through a buyout and price rise causing extensive user panic.  That's why I (and others) try to push users with issues to contact Support.  That gets you a number,  a position in the queue,  and contributes to the stats on that issue.

I like (1) und take the discussions to point out the weight of incidents when using (4.2)

Not sure of your meaning there,  but IMHO the forums are a place to get informal advice & work-arounds,  blow off steam and start arguments.  Evernote staff going through these pages can't assess any kind of statistics or get any valid data other than a general feeling of happiness or -as currently- mutinous dissent!  ;)

• Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, agsteele said:

Nothing wrong with that. We just never know how much issues are picked up via the forums. Evernote Experts are encouraged to submit tickets in addition to any discussion. That's my preferred approach. Here, we often find solutions and ways of working that resolve issues. The tickets flag the bigger issues for the developers. 

I know that the numbers of tickets on an issue address used to monitor house things are going.

The major problem with tickets is that related issues/info from different users get scattered over several 'independent' tickets. And the worst problem is that it is extremely difficult to get the ticket to the developers, it is always shielded by various impenetrable levels of support and the status of the issue is kept secret for the end-user once it has been fed into the pipeline.

I believe much more in the agile interactive way of bug reporting/solving on the forum, like Federico already did successfully for some urgent problems.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
11 minutes ago, eric99 said:

I believe much more in the agile interactive way of bug reporting/solving on the forum

You're only getting that in a few isolated cases when there are major issues with an update that affects everyone.  The 'average' bug will only affect a section of the user base and the fact it exists may not be repeatable by Evernote unless / until they get some activity logs.  A public forum is not a good place to post those.

17 minutes ago, eric99 said:

related issues/info from different users get scattered over several 'independent' tickets.

Support departments collect ticket trends like OS, device, process so they can work out which bit of what is falling apart...

14 minutes ago, eric99 said:

the status of the issue is kept secret

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/requests

39 minutes ago, gazumped said:

You're only getting that in a few isolated cases when there are major issues with an update that affects everyone.  The 'average' bug will only affect a section of the user base and the fact it exists may not be repeatable by Evernote unless / until they get some activity logs.  A public forum is not a good place to post those.

Support departments collect ticket trends like OS, device, process so they can work out which bit of what is falling apart...

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/requests

This is not my experience: sometimes support seems to be completely ignorant of an issue that has already been submitted multiple times by other affected users.

I can't find the issue status at https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/requests . The only status I get is that it's solved which isn't the case. For some tickets I'm still waiting for 2 years to be solved.

• Level 5*
16 minutes ago, eric99 said:

sometimes support seems to be completely ignorant of an issue that has already been submitted multiple times by other affected users.

You'll be dealing with a 1st line agent whose only job is to take you through a script to make sure you actually have a real issue that Support can help with.  It's not in their job description to know or discuss how many similar reports they've had - 2nd line staff will be dealing with that,  and once they have enough reports to indicate there actually is an issue, and where in the process it's occurring, they'll develop a fix - which will be in the next release.  Dates and contents of releases also aren't something that 1st line troops get told about.

20 minutes ago, eric99 said:

The only status I get is that it's solved which isn't the case.

You should have a link to re-open an issue if necessary.

21 minutes ago, eric99 said:

For some tickets I'm still waiting for 2 years to be solved.

Likewise if you can find the history,  ask for an update. If you still have the number use the usual channels.

-Not going to defend Evernote particularly but I did have a Support Team around the time the world was panicking about the Millenium Bug so I can imagine what the new Evernote agents are going through at the moment...  It's not pretty,  but they're only human:  the team will gradually dig their way through a mountain of complaints and abuse and fix whatever they can despite the efforts of an apparently substantial peanut gallery who favour other providers.

Also not going to argue about what's the best method - by all means you do you.  I'm going to continue raising issues as and when I find them via Support and -occasionally- raising them here if it seems useful to do so.

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert

I can say for certain that Evernote tickets are monitored for trends but probably not at first level.  But even in these forums we get multiple threads that get opened about the same issue.  Each one then drifts off to various other sidetracks.  So, for me, both approaches have merit but I would say that both are needed.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, gazumped said:

You'll be dealing with a 1st line agent whose only job is to take you through a script to make sure you actually have a real issue that Support can help with.  It's not in their job description to know or discuss how many similar reports they've had - 2nd line staff will be dealing with that,  and once they have enough reports to indicate there actually is an issue, and where in the process it's occurring, they'll develop a fix - which will be in the next release.  Dates and contents of releases also aren't something that 1st line troops get told about.

You should have a link to re-open an issue if necessary.

Likewise if you can find the history,  ask for an update. If you still have the number use the usual channels.

-Not going to defend Evernote particularly but I did have a Support Team around the time the world was panicking about the Millenium Bug so I can imagine what the new Evernote agents are going through at the moment... 

I'm not so sure that the first line is completely new, unless they are all called Diezel...

1 hour ago, gazumped said:
3 hours ago, AlbertR said:

I like (1) und take the discussions to point out the weight of incidents when using (4.2)

Not sure of your meaning there

I like (1 - forum discussions) and take [... it] to point out the weight of incidents when using (4.2 - support channels with URLs to typical forum discussions).

Last time I used this technique was really helpful: Support really looked into some discussion threads (and my list of missing functionality of EN10 vs. Legacy) and answered in depth 👍. I'm sure this took effort that's not possible to offer in all cases.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

I’ll add that I find Evernote’s habit of closing tickets without informing the user infuriating and plain inconsiderate.  Even a canned response is better than nothing. Also closing a ticket before it is actually fixed is still head scratching and contrary to my work experience.

An employee presence on the forum would be welcome.  I would not expect them to pull problems out of the discussions and open tickets, but some (any) level of engagement would be nice.  We haven’t had that for a while now.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
12 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

An employee presence on the forum would be welcome.

An experienced and informed (and coherent) member of staff would be wasted here - I'd rather have them fixing issues than explaining how things are (or aren't) working.

While I also miss any coherent feedback - apart from @Federico Simionato's posts - we haven't seem any substantive blog posts,  social media presences or press releases (that I'm aware of) but again I'm assuming it's "all hands to the pumps" time at Evernote.  IMHO Everyone is busy fixing things,  and doesn't have time to do any big picture stuff.  Hope that changes soon...

Meantime - like the famous IT guru Obi-Wan said - it's a question of Trusting in The Force - Bending Spoons / Evernote are successful,  responsible businesses dealing with an unusual number of issues relating to the purchase / price increase / moving / updating of the main product.

They'll get there.  Lets just give them a little time...

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, gazumped said:

An experienced and informed (and coherent) member of staff would be wasted here - I'd rather have them fixing issues than explaining how things are (or aren't) working.

No, I’m not asking for developer presence.  Yes, their time is better spent elsewhere.  As you noted, they need to improve their communication.  Not everyone at the company is coding, and most coders I know would be ill suited for this anyway 😉.

17 minutes ago, gazumped said:

it's a question of Trusting in The Force

My trust is based on experience with those I’m trusting.  For a supposedly successful, experienced and responsible company, they have really stumbled out of the gate.  They haven’t earned my trust yet.  I’m watching and waiting and hope they do.

• Like 1

I upgraded to 10.59.5 a couple of days ago. This solved the issue with tasks not being shown in the native Windows App.
However, ever since I'm experiencing problems with:

1. search:
    1. first couple of search attempt fail and return all notes
    2. scrolling down search results list resets search and returns to first search result
  2. reloads / resets: 
    blank screen with evernote logo en revolving  circle and green progress bar
  3. "strange messages"
    rough translation from messages being in Dutch:
    1. lost rights / rights lost
      header: Lost rights
      body: You no longer have access to the notebook [notebook name]
      button: Proceed / Next
    2. problems loading evernote
      body: sorry, there are problems loading Evernote
      button: reload evernote
  4. duplicate note creates three (3) copies
Edited by Berno van Soest
additional bug
  • Like 2

Once again EN crashes my work, this time I lost content and notebook access when searching.
I was updated, without my consent and now I am stuck on version 10.59.5.
The day is very near when the few and final Evernote users of this tread will be:-
"THE LAST OF US"

• Like 1