Evernote has become virtually unusable.

Loooong time user, I have 50,000 + notes.  In last few weeks, I cannot move notes at times, cannot open notes at times, and have to continually shut and reopen.  Latest problem is moving notes, watching them leave one notebook and go to another then coming back later to find they are back in the original spot.   I have 60+ GB of hard drive remaining and cannot understand what is going on.   I cannot trust EN at this point

• Sad 1
  • Level 5*

Hi.  Evernote is currently warning users when they have minimal amounts of disk space left.  since every system needs some temporary storage to be able to boot up and work.  60GB free doesn't sound much at all,  but I understand that Macs have other ways to generate free space with iCloud so maybe that's not a contributing factor.  You might want to check around any Mac support you have to find out whether you have an issue there.

As to databases,  no you can't 'compact' it,  but you can opt not to store the database on your local hard drive when you sign out of the system,  or use a symbolic link to trick Evernote into thinking your storage is on your main drive when it's saved elsewhere on the network.  Evernote is actually releasing an alternative storage option 'soon' which might help.

Meantime I have twice as many notes running on a grungy Windows desktop with no problems.  Colleagues here might come up with more suggestions,  but I'd recommend you contact Support on this too - they should be able to help speed things up.

One thing you can do - when you have time and your system is stable again after moving everything around,  sign out and remove your database from the device,  then power your system off and on,  and sign back in again to allow Evernote to rebuild the database and all its indexes.  I did this recently and was back up and running within 30 minutes,  but YMMV!

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
32 minutes ago, avevers said:

Does v10 have that "dev menu" like legacy?

There's a Ctrl (Cmd) + help "troubleshooting" menu,  but I wouldn't go messing in there without guidance from Support!

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Hello - has there been any updates on the stability of EN 10.60 (Win)?  Besides the speed of notes coming up - which is the least of my problems, I am starting to lose notes.  I was recently taking notes and I moved to another note as just part of my workflow. When I returned the notes I had written in this session were no longer there.

This has been happening a lot this week - at least for me.  I do not have an extensive library although I've been a member since 2012.  

This is becoming a show-stopper. How can I trust EN if I lose notes - especially when in a learning environment when I need to take notes and recall.  

I don't have anyone to email or call.  Is there a customer contact email I can reach out to?

Thank you

• Level 5*

Hi.  Try downloading 10.61.4 from https://evernote.com/download.  If you continue to have problems,  contact Support (we're mainly other users here...).

Subscribers can raise support queries here - https://help.evernote.com/hc/requests/new and Free users here - https://twitter.com/evernotehelps (but it's usually easier to use the Support option in the mobile client). 

• Administrator

@EdfromMiami, if you're experiencing missing content, please send me a DM with the note URL of the note(s) where you lost content. We are focusing a lot of our attention to this issue, but it's pretty rare and for now impossible to reproduce, so every information we have is golden. Ideally, you could send me:

• note URL of the affected note(s)
  • client logs (Help > Activity Logs > Save As...)
  • timeframe (when did this happen?)
  • Like 3

I am trying to move off legacy and am running V10 on my laptop now for full use. It boggles my mind in what state V10 is. Just a few small examples:

1) Why is it still impossible to have the imported files from the import folder removed automatically? The option is there, it has been "coming soon" for more than a year. Why? Is deleting a file such a big deal?

2) Why is the option "copy" greyed out (and not available) for unknown file types? I have some small configuration files with strange file extensions. If they land in a note I cannot copy them to another.

3) Why is there no "open with" option anymore, just "open"?

4) Most infuriating: why can we not select a couple of notes and save all attachments in those to somewhere? There is a workaround: export them as HMTL, go to the subfolder with the attachments, select them and move them to desired destination. Really?

I *want* to like V10 (there is no other way, if I want to stay with Evernote). But so much basic stuff has been either removed or made incredibly complicated (5-6 steps, instead of one), that I am having a hard time. As if the company wanted to annoy me on purpose. Why? What business sense does that make?

@Federico Simionato: Frederico, please help us. I am glad you are reading the forum.

• Like 4
4 hours ago, Razmataz said:

want* to like V10 (there is no other way, if I want to stay with Evernote). But so much basic stuff has been either removed or made incredibly complicated (5-6 steps, instead of one), that I am having a hard time. As if the company wanted to annoy me on purpose. Why? What business sense does that make?

I agree. UX and efficiency and effectiveness took a big hit. Like the Devs of v10 did not use their own product for anything else than a little note taking.

If you do serious work with it, there are 101 things very inefficient and many steps and clicks to be taken, compared to two short cuts in legacy. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5*

I agree the new Evernote is different from the old Evernote - but then the "old" Evernote Android was different from the old Evernote Mac, the old Evernote Windows,  and the old Evernote iOS so every single version of the app had differences in shortcuts,  keystrokes and features. 

The only thing they had in common was that the logistics of maintaining and updating multiple different apps made the operation unsustainable in the long run.

Evernote rewrote the most frequently used features of their apps using the new "Elektron" coding system,  which allows the same app to run on various different operating systems.  It acts like a translator,  making sure that commands like "sync" and "print" are treated in the same way no matter what operating system you are using.

Some of those features were not possible to translate - or at least not commercially worth translating - because the software,  which was not originally designed with Evernote in mind,  had no practical way to allow (forinstance) multiple users to collaborate easily with access the same note at the same time.  Other features weren't worth including because they weren't much in use in the original applications.

As with all software,  Evernote users have the chance to help improve the app by contacting Support or using the feedback channels to report issues,  suggest new features,  or better ways to access the existing ones.  By being an active part of this process users can help improve the app in the future.

But any changes aren't going to happen overnight,  and sweeping statments like "unusable" and "inefficient" aren't helpful.  Many Evernote subscribers using version 10 (including me) say (mostly) that its usable and they can work with it.  Sticking with the Legacy apps is simply putting off the day when a decision will have to be made. 

The old apps and features aren't coming back - by this time there's probably no-one left in the company who understands them anyway.

Better to embrace the new Evernote and - if you must - become a regular Support user to point out inefficiences and resolve issues,  so you can influence its future development in the directions you need.  Or accept Evernote is a lost cause and go find another app that you feel suits you better.

I actually hope that Evernote pulls the plug on the Legacy apps soon - they're currently hamstrung by the need that anything they do with v10 has to be backwards-compatible with Legacy. 

The recent improvements in speed and the introduction of Real Time Editing show that the way forward is with new formats.  The continuing need for Legacy users to retain access to their notes must surely be holding the company back...

• Like 7
18 hours ago, gazumped said:

I'd suggest you downlpoad the latest version 10.61.4 from https://evernote.com/download - the Windows Store version may not yet have been updated,  and seems to have some issues of its own.

Interesting, I did not know that. They should be in sync, shouldn't they?

Anyway, I installed 10.61.4 and as far as I can see, it didn't resolve any of those issues. 😒

Thanks anyway.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

The stores are always later, because they need to pass the stores process of bringing the software „into the shelf“.

Furthermore even when it is the same code, Store apps are executed differently. 

For best results uninstall the store version and install the direct download.

6 hours ago, gazumped said:

The only thing they had in common was that the logistics of maintaining and updating multiple different apps made the operation unsustainable in the long run.

Evernote rewrote the most frequently used features of their apps using the new "Elektron" coding system,  which allows the same app to run on various different operating systems.  It acts like a translator,  making sure that commands like "sync" and "print" are treated in the same way no matter what operating system you are using.

Some of those features were not possible to translate - or at least not commercially worth translating - because the software,  which was not originally designed with Evernote in mind,  had no practical way to allow (forinstance) multiple users to collaborate easily with access the same note at the same time.  Other features weren't worth including because they weren't much in use in the original applications.

I totally get that and I appreciate your very matter-of-fact stance.

What I would like to say though is: it is very small features that are sure easily implemented in Elektron (all my examples above) that are gone. There is no explanation for that. Ad it is hard to believe that they will change anything now, V10 is feature complete, seems to me.

It is just that they didn't have (and still don't seem to have) designers on it who would try to work with V10 to assess it usability. They seem to work on the internals/infrastructure, which is needed as you describe. My point is that usability is key aspect. And, let me re-iterate, it is small *and* platform independent features that have been removed without paying attention to their usefulness to users.

And yes, I know, the best course of action is to give feedback and contribute ideas. I actually did that many times. Not once with success. Again, I think this is all because V10 is now feature complete, take it or leave it.

The problem is that Evernote seems to leave the impression with some, that "leave it" would be their preferred option.

But that make no business sense whatsoever. So I dearly hope that the new management and the new team will change that perception by changing product management / planning / and development.

^

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

The stores are always later, because they need to pass the stores process of bringing the software „into the shelf“.

Furthermore even when it is the same code, Store apps are executed differently. 

For best results uninstall the store version and install the direct download.

Good heavens, I made another mistake, then. I simply installed the direct download. Now it says in Help: 10.61.4-win-dll-public.
What do you recommend? Uninstall it and install it again?

Thanks a million.

• Evernote Expert

Go to the store and check if that version is uninstalled from within the store.  If not uninstall in the store.  I'd probably then rerun the DDL installation to be certain everything will run smoothly from thereon.

• Level 5
On 8/30/2023 at 8:26 AM, Razmataz said:

3) Why is there no "open with" option anymore, just "open"?

4) Most infuriating: why can we not select a couple of notes and save all attachments in those to somewhere? There is a workaround: export them as HMTL, go to the subfolder with the attachments, select them and move them to desired destination. Really?

WRT #3, I just tested and found that clicking on an attachment with no associated program to open it in Windows brings up the standard dialog to pick one. This does not help if you want to open the file with a program other than the default/associated one (as I sometimes do). In that case, you have to download it, then do the Open With in Windows. Honestly, even to me it feels like an edge case with an easy, if slightly time-consuming, solution.

I also miss the ability to download multiple attachments. I'm quite confident that the developers do use Evernote themselves, and surely they must bump up against this sometimes, so I still have some hope that it will be restored.

12 hours ago, Razmataz said:

It is just that they didn't have (and still don't seem to have) designers on it who would try to work with V10 to assess it usability. They seem to work on the internals/infrastructure, which is needed as you describe. My point is that usability is key aspect. And, let me re-iterate, it is small *and* platform independent features that have been removed without paying attention to their usefulness to users.

But, as @gazumped pointed out, v. 10 is quite usable for many of us. "Usability" can't be defined simply as "the way Legacy worked." We all had to get used to Evernote's ways as we started using it in v. 6 (or 5, 4, 3...). It only became fluently usable once we got used to it. V. 10 is the same. Once you get used to using features in v. 10 that are missing in v. 6, Legacy becomes much less usable.

• Like 3
19 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

WRT #3, I just tested and found that clicking on an attachment with no associated program to open it in Windows brings up the standard dialog to pick one. This does not help if you want to open the file with a program other than the default/associated one (as I sometimes do). In that case, you have to download it, then do the Open With in Windows. Honestly, even to me it feels like an edge case with an easy, if slightly time-consuming, solution.

I also miss the ability to download multiple attachments. I'm quite confident that the developers do use Evernote themselves, and surely they must bump up against this sometimes, so I still have some hope that it will be restored.

But, as @gazumped pointed out, v. 10 is quite usable for many of us. "Usability" can't be defined simply as "the way Legacy worked." We all had to get used to Evernote's ways as we started using it in v. 6 (or 5, 4, 3...). It only became fluently usable once we got used to it. V. 10 is the same. Once you get used to using features in v. 10 that are missing in v. 6, Legacy becomes much less usable.

#3,  Nope, not for me. I am on Windows-11 (most recent, every update installed) and Evernote 10.61.4. Strange. "Copy" is greyed out and  "Open" is not, but it does not do anything.

For known file types, e.g. PDF: I have a couple of tools. I used to be able to select the best tool for a given file. Now I have to save the file open it in Windows save it and attach it again to the note. (See my last remark about usability below.)

Usability: You are right, of course. If you find that it is very usable for you, I cannot claim its usability has degraded. But I can say, it has degraded for me. Considerably.

"Once you get used to using features in v. 10 that are missing in v. 6, Legacy becomes much less usable."

If I may, I seriously doubt that. How can you find it more usable if you need 6 clicks for what used to be one?
E.g. try to get from somewhere to the view what used to be called "All Notes" (a view of all notes, very useful if you work and filter with keywords). It is some 4 clicks now, jumping around the screen. And as far as I can see there is no keyboard shortcut for it either. Those (keyboard shortcuts) are a sad story on their own. Many of them are gone and other simply do not work. Of course my language setting is German. But it's not exactly rocket science to support the major languages. 

But as I wrote, I cannot argue and certainly cannot win. You are free to find that usability is the same as in legacy. You are even free to find that it is better than legacy. That I find flabbergasting, but I respect your opinion.

Thank you for responding.

• Thanks 1

Just for comparison, on my Windows 11 laptop, on the Evernote home screen, on the left hand column, the link to "notes" is right there, visible without scrolling.  Clicking that item shows all notes.  Even if I"m working somewhere else in Evernote, if I have that left column in view, all I have to do is scroll up.  So, at least with my configuration, it's pretty easy to see a list of all my notes.  Maybe your setup is different somehow.

Vinnie

• Like 1
  • Level 5
27 minutes ago, Razmataz said:

"Once you get used to using features in v. 10 that are missing in v. 6, Legacy becomes much less usable."

If I may, I seriously doubt that. How can you find it more usable if you need 6 clicks for what used to be one?
E.g. try to get from somewhere to the view what used to be called "All Notes" (a view of all notes, very useful if you work and filter with keywords). It is some 4 clicks now, jumping around the screen. And as far as I can see there is no keyboard shortcut for it either. Those (keyboard shortcuts) are a sad story on their own. Many of them are gone and other simply do not work. Of course my language setting is German. But it's not exactly rocket science to support the major languages. 

Ctrl+Alt+2 opens All Notes in v. 10, both Windows app and Web. Ctrl+/ displays the list of shortcuts.

Failing to resist sarcasm: how many clicks does it take in Legacy to get backlinks? Yes, IMHO in some ways v. 10 is clearly more usable than Legacy, because it does some things that earlier versions never did. It does lack some features, and for some people those are the very features their workflows are built around, which is indeed unfortunate. In my view, we were not born with usable workflows. We developed them for older versions of Evernote, we can develop others for v. 10. Just my opinion.

• Like 1

Well, on mine it is different. Since its in German, I have to use STRG+# (found out from the help menu). STRG = CNTRL in German.

There ALT+CTRL+2 is listed indeed to call up all notes. That would be it, then.

BUT:

1. Note the all of a sudden it is CTRL now, not STRG (as would be proper in German). OK, nuisance (but sloppy).
  2. Alas, ALT+CTRL+2 does absolutely nothing.

Perhaps we can agree that this is not "more usable" 🙂

1 hour ago, VincentC said:

Just for comparison, on my Windows 11 laptop, on the Evernote home screen, on the left hand column, the link to "notes" is right there, visible without scrolling.  Clicking that item shows all notes.  Even if I"m working somewhere else in Evernote, if I have that left column in view, all I have to do is scroll up.  So, at least with my configuration, it's pretty easy to see a list of all my notes.  Maybe your setup is different somehow.

Vinnie

Thank you, that's what I am using now. But it is not always visible. If you have used that panel to navigate to a notebook nested down a level, then "Notes" is out of sight.

Recourse: you scroll up until it is visible again and click on it. That works. It just takes 6x as long. 

• Level 5
2 hours ago, Razmataz said:

Well, on mine it is different. Since its in German, I have to use STRG+# (found out from the help menu). STRG = CNTRL in German.

There ALT+CTRL+2 is listed indeed to call up all notes. That would be it, then.

BUT:

1. Note the all of a sudden it is CTRL now, not STRG (as would be proper in German). OK, nuisance (but sloppy).
  2. Alas, ALT+CTRL+2 does absolutely nothing.

Perhaps we can agree that this is not "more usable" 🙂

Are you using Alt+Strg+2 on the top row of numbers, or the numerical keypad. I find that only the top row of numbers works for these combinations.

50 minutes ago, Razmataz said:

So the Alt+Strg+2 simply doesn't work at all for me.

This is one of the keyboard shortcuts that you can change to whatever you like. It might be worth checking that it has not been changed accidentally. If it hasn't been changed. you could change it to something else in case there is some conflict with another app.

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert
3 hours ago, Mike P said:

This is one of the keyboard shortcuts that you can change to whatever you like. It might be worth checking that it has not been changed accidentally.

Or, indeed, isn't a keystroke used by another program on your computer.

3 hours ago, Razmataz said:

So the Alt+Strg+2 simply doesn't work at all for me.

Agree (also working with German setup).

Also nice: A story about "Search in Evernote" (which is bound now to WIN-Shift-F in EN-10.61 and STRG-Q)

• Note: "Search in Evernote" works globally over all applications
    • not only inside EN - if you type it outside EN, EN's main window pops up and offers a search dialog. This is OK.

• Former versions of EN10 used ALT-Shift-F for this functionality
    • ... as a tribute to Legacy which also used ALT-Shift-F as its default for "Search in Evernote"
      • But the search input box in EN10 shows ALT-STRG-F as a tooltip?
    • German users had a problem with this because ALT-Shift-F is used in other German set up applications (like MS-Word, -Excel a.s.o.) as a toggle for bold case writing (as the other people might know as STRG-B).
      • Maybe this was the reason for EN to change the default to  WIN-Shift-F?

• For any reason I was used to click STRG-Q in Legacy...
    • Maybe this was the default shortcut in version before Legacy?
    • Or because of the ALT-Shift-F-Problem of MS-Programms 😉

• As EN10 came up, it defined STRG-Q to be "Switch to note"
    • This is new functionality seems to be redundant for me because "Search in Evernote" is available
      • So this is not a problem for me  STRG-Q opens my Legacy windows to search for notes 👍
  • EN10 has an additional definition for STRG-Q: Within note editor it changes a paragraph alignment to block mode
    • What a pity: I cannot reach the functionality because of my Legacy setting 😞 (OK - my problem)
    • But why is STRG-Q defined twice (within EN10)?
      • -> If you are inside a note editing windows (and this is the case most of the time), you cannot use "Switch to note" directly.

Sorry for my verbal diarrhea - but such problems around keystroke settings and other UI inconveniences drive me crazy 😤

• Haha 2
  • Level 5
15 minutes ago, AlbertR said:

EN10 has an additional definition for STRG-Q: Within note editor it changes a paragraph alignment to block mode

• What a pity: I cannot reach the functionality because of my Legacy setting 😞 (OK - my problem)
  • But why is STRG-Q defined twice (within EN10)?
    • -> If you are inside a note editing windows (and this is the case most of the time), you cannot use "Switch to note" directly.

Agreed. And according to the Help article on keyboard shortcuts, Ctrl/Strg + Q also quits Evernote!! Fortunately, that is apparently wrong. Very early on in using v. 10, I redefined Switch to Note to Ctrl + S, so I can use it while editing. This leaves Ctrl + Q as Justify text. The only apparent reason for that odd choice is that the obvious Ctrl + J is used for Align Right, presumably because the obvious Ctrl + R is used for Refresh (i.e., manual sync, though not listed in the Help article). A cascading series of questionable choices.

For reference, unused Ctrl/Strg combinations appear to include: D, O, S. If one could redefine Ctrl/Strg + S to be Sync/Refresh, then Ctrl/Strg + R to Align Right, then Ctrl/Strg + J to Justify ... then at last Ctrl/Strg + Q could simply be used for Switch to Note even while editing.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Mike P said:

This is one of the keyboard shortcuts that you can change to whatever you like. It might be worth checking that it has not been changed accidentally. If it hasn't been changed. you could change it to something else in case there is some conflict with another app.

Since this could be a key keyboard shortcut for me, I'd appreciate if you could tell me how I would go about changing it. 

Thanks a million. 

1 minute ago, Razmataz said:

Since this could be a key keyboard shortcut for me, I'd appreciate if you could tell me how I would go about changing it. 

Thanks a million. 

Open the list of keyboard shortcuts. Various ways but Help 🢂 Keyboard shortcuts is probably the easiest.

image.png.a76b8848eb6d20a5d05f30714aa625c5.png

Hover over the icon to the left of "open noptes" and click on the three dots menu revealed

You can then edit it by clicking the edit item in the menu

Mike P,

thank you! I did not know about this but tried and it works.

Now I have a really good solution:

1. I remapped that shortcut to a key (combination) that works
  2. Then I mapped that combination to the mousewheel (click) with Autohotkey that I use anyway

So wherever I am now in Evernote, I can just click the mousewheel and I am back in the old "All Notes" view (because fortunately the keyword filter is also cleared). That's even better than pressing a shortcut key-combo: I don't have to switch btw. mouse and keyboard.

I am a happy camper now (regarding this issue).

Thank you!

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Razmataz said:

Mike P,

thank you! I did not know about this but tried and it works.

Now I have a really good solution:

1. I remapped that shortcut to a key (combination) that works
  2. Then I mapped that combination to the mousewheel (click) with Autohotkey that I use anyway

So wherever I am now in Evernote, I can just click the mousewheel and I am back in the old "All Notes" view (because fortunately the keyword filter is also cleared). That's even better than pressing a shortcut key-combo: I don't have to switch btw. mouse and keyboard.

I am a happy camper now (regarding this issue).

Thank you!

That AutoHotkey one looks interesting.

But to me somehow complicated.

Can you share the script that needs to be set up there so that the middle mouse wheel in Evernote opens all notes?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ferol,

the minimal script (just for this purpose) is:

#InstallMouseHook						; Just to make sure we can use the Mouse
MouseControl = 1						; Activate Mouse control

#ifWinActive ahk_exe evernote.exe		; This remapping of the Wheel is valid for Evernote only
	MButton::Send #!n					; MouseWheel: WIN-ALT-N for EN V10
	XButton1::Send #!n					; Side button 1 on Mouse: WIN-ALT-N for EN V10
	XButton2::Send #!n					; Side button 2 on Mouse: WIN-ALT-N for EN V10

The first two lines might not be needed, I use them nevertheless, just to make sure the script works whatever the Autohotkey configuration is.

Anything after the ";" is just comments, not code.

The line: "#ifWinActive ahk_exe evernote.exe" restricts the definition in the next line to *only* for Evernote. I like it that way, but you could omit this line (but then the key-code is sent always, when you click the wheel.

You need only one of the following 3 definition lines. The wheel is defined by "MButton". The other two are the side buttons of the mouse (on left side, if you have them). I included them to just show how they could be used.

The "Send #!n" code is specific to my instance. As ALT-CTRL-2 did not work for me at all, I redefined that key (thanks Mike P!). In my case the new key combination is "WIN-ALT-N". Yours could be different and then you would have to change #!n (stands for WIN+ALT+n).  See: https://www.autohotkey.com/docs/v1/Hotkeys.htm#Symbols

Hope this helps.

PS: You need to put this script into you autostart folder to have it always active. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
On 9/11/2023 at 10:01 AM, Razmataz said:

ferol,

the minimal script (just for this purpose) is:

#InstallMouseHook						; Just to make sure we can use the Mouse
MouseControl = 1						; Activate Mouse control

#ifWinActive ahk_exe evernote.exe		; This remapping of the Wheel is valid for Evernote only
	MButton::Send #!n					; MouseWheel: WIN-ALT-N for EN V10
	XButton1::Send #!n					; Side button 1 on Mouse: WIN-ALT-N for EN V10
	XButton2::Send #!n					; Side button 2 on Mouse: WIN-ALT-N for EN V10

The first two lines might not be needed, I use them nevertheless, just to make sure the script works whatever the Autohotkey configuration is.

Anything after the ";" is just comments, not code.

The line: "#ifWinActive ahk_exe evernote.exe" restricts the definition in the next line to *only* for Evernote. I like it that way, but you could omit this line (but then the key-code is sent always, when you click the wheel.

You need only one of the following 3 definition lines. The wheel is defined by "MButton". The other two are the side buttons of the mouse (on left side, if you have them). I included them to just show how they could be used.

The "Send #!n" code is specific to my instance. As ALT-CTRL-2 did not work for me at all, I redefined that key (thanks Mike P!). In my case the new key combination is "WIN-ALT-N". Yours could be different and then you would have to change #!n (stands for WIN+ALT+n).  See: https://www.autohotkey.com/docs/v1/Hotkeys.htm#Symbols

Hope this helps.

PS: You need to put this script into you autostart folder to have it always active. 

Thank you. I will test it..

On 8/30/2023 at 8:26 AM, Razmataz said:

What business sense does that make?

@Federico Simionato: Frederico, please help us. I am glad you are reading the forum.

I believe under the previous regimes (Ian Small and before) the business model is to bet that the existing user base is locked in to the product sufficiently that they will tolerate price increases in spite of no net increase in the core value proposition. The strategy for new users seems to be an uninspired "me too" approach, i.e. more of the same.

Notion does tasks better than Evernote? So we're going to "borrow" their excellent design and graft it onto our product. But there's a problem: Evernote was originally not going to have reminders. The market made them give up that vision, but the reminder feature they implemented years ago was total kluge. The recent promise was that tasks would be reminders done right. Instead we've got two redundant task/reminder systems, both with overlapping, confusing terminology, and both of them fundamentally broken IMO in that you can't rely on them. It is too easy for a task/reminder to fall through the cracks. Search results for tasks are glitchy. Sharing is glitchy. Are these really the results? Or if I stop typing for what feels like ages, and get my team members to stop typing, will the search results finally catch up with reality? Evernote editor tries to be "smart" and helpful, but instead marks completed tasks as incomplete and vice versa. Tasks can be embedded in notes, and editing an embedded object counts as an update to that note, but completing or editing an embedded task somehow *isn't* considered an update to the note that is hosting the task!

At least on the features chart we can put a check mark next to the "tasks" feature and make it look like we're keeping up with the competition. We're going to future proof the product and hope no-one notices that these new features, just like the old ones, are implemented just to check a checkbox on a sales presentation; they are not really meant to be relied upon. Evernote needs to eat their own dog food!

Sadly, that is the the business model here.

• Level 5*
10 minutes ago, John in Michigan USA said:

The strategy for new users seems to be an uninspired "me too" approach, i.e. more of the same.

Since the previous regime didn't actually increase prices for 6 years or so,  I think you're completely incorrect.  I suspect that the new v10 was nitially such a badly-judged and badly-received product that the Powers That Be didn't dare to try to increase their charges for fear of prompting a mass exodus.  The new guys came along and have already dived into fixing reliability and speed as well as dealing with quite a few bugs.  They've now taken a business decision to charge what they think the product is worth so they can fund current operations and further development.  They run a pretty successful existing operation in Italy and they're not some kind of venture-capital asset-strippers.  We all have the same choice.  If Evernote costs too much,  then just leave your existing stuff in a free account and use something else until you find a service worth using.

17 minutes ago, John in Michigan USA said:

Evernote needs to eat their own dog food!

Since the CEO of Evernote is a user and a fan (he liked it so much - he bought the company),  I'd think we're in pretty safe hands...

^_^

• Like 2
On 9/14/2023 at 5:20 PM, John in Michigan USA said:

Instead we've got two redundant task/reminder systems,

I use both Tasks and Reminders,  Some Notes require a Task, and some just a simple Reminder, both work satisfactorily and are definitely not redundant.

13 hours ago, bmcl26 said:

Tasks and Reminders ... are definitely not redundant

If you're able to manage Reminder Dates & Done Dates as simple as in previous version and display these dates in an own column in your note list, Tasks are completely redundant.

And even more more: Tasks look like an add-on to normal EN functionality - developed by people who are not really familiar with EN's core ideas. Why did they forget to tag tasks?

• Like 1
1 minute ago, AlbertR said:

If you're able to manage Reminder Dates & Done Dates as simple as in previous version and display these dates in an own column in your note list, Tasks are completely redundant.

And even more more: Tasks look like an add-on to normal EN functionality - developed by people who are not really familiar with EN's core ideas. Why did they forget to tag tasks?

Your opinion certainly not mine.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, AlbertR said:

We know 😉. But what's your opinion around tags for tasks?

I have no need for Tags in Tasks if the occasion ever arrived that I need a Tag in a Task, I would merely create that Task in a separate Note and Tag the Note.  I extensively use Tasks, the majority I am comfortable with in the default Task Note.  Any that need further Info, etc., are created in a separate Note.

• Level 5

It is a common misunderstanding that Tasks were developed as a stand-alone feature, build to replace regular task managers.

Tasks were introduced to make notes actionable. Tasks never live an independent life. They must be located in a note, no exceptions. And they are there to control what happens next with that note.

Opposite to Reminders, there can be multiple tasks for the same note, they can be recurring and they can be individually assigned (by Professional / Teams subscribers). But still it’s all about the note.

Many restrictions discussed again and again about tasks are based in not understanding this concept.

In short: Tag the note, not the task.

• Like 5
16 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

It is a common misunderstanding that Tasks were developed as a stand-alone feature

For sure not. But it feels like implemented independantely from EN-core. (Remember: Our tool is called EverNOTE - not EveryTHING)

Tasks were introduced to make notes actionable.

There was no need on this. Reminders had been available (OK, only one per note - but easily movable) and are smoothly integrated (listing, searching, tagging, ...)

... can be individually assigned (by Professional / Teams subscribers)

Whow - at least Teams users normally do have task managers available and will not use other managers beside. This story reminds me to EN-Chat - introduced to support teams and discontinued because noone used it...

Teams users are more interrested in hierachical tags. (see Nested tags in Evernote Teams and others). I got in contact with support before many years - no success. Now they invested much time and effort to things, Teams users will not use 😞.

• Level 5

Personally I think we should not to easily judge about use cases. I am freelancing, and assigning tasks on notes through my Professional sub comes handy, from time to time.

Interestingly MS Teams has no integrated task manager - one need to apply Outlook or MS ToDo on this. And it sucks, because it is lacking the integration with flexible content, like EN does it.

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, AlbertR said:

For sure not. But it feels like implemented independantely from EN-core. (Remember: Our tool is called EverNOTE - not EveryTHING)

There was no need on this. Reminders had been available (OK, only one per note - but easily movable) and are smoothly integrated (listing, searching, tagging, ...)

Whow - at least Teams users normally do have task managers available and will not use other managers beside. This story reminds me to EN-Chat - introduced to support teams and discontinued because noone used it...

Teams users are more interrested in hierachical tags. (see Nested tags in Evernote Teams and others). I got in contact with support before many years - no success. Now they invested much time and effort to things, Teams users will not use 😞.

As previously stated this is your opinion,  which is your right,  but please don't be deluded enough to think you can tell others what their opinion should be. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, bmcl26 said:

please don't be deluded enough to think you can tell others what their opinion should be. 

??? Which of my words make you feel this?
It's my honest opinion that Tasks are a weak me-too feature of EN that's implementation effort has been invested at the wrong point. Too bad about all that money...

• Level 5

I just want to add an example that shows why Tasks are a valuable add on:

Anybody who has to sell something needs sort of a follow up on leads, needs to stay in contact with customers / clients, needs to keep track of offers etc.

Large companies employ a CMR system for this. With tasks, every user can build his own CMR now:

Notes hold the content of a customer relation. If there are offers/projects involved, a master note for the customer plus one linked note for each project. Maybe a scanned BC for each personal contact, again linked together.

Tasks are used to control the activities regarding this customer relation, or the individuals offers and projects.

You can’t get it cheaper than with an EN subscription, it is highly flexible and works for individuals (like Freelancers with Professional) as for organizations (Teams account).

• Like 3
On 9/16/2023 at 7:20 PM, bmcl26 said:

I use both Tasks and Reminders,  Some Notes require a Task, and some just a simple Reminder, both work satisfactorily and are definitely not redundant.

I admit I don't understand how to use Reminders, when reminders don't always generate notifications when they're supposed to, and searches like:

remindertime:* -remindertime:day+1 -reminderdonetime:* -tag:"1-Now"

...that have worked right for ages no longer work correctly.

Currently you have to wait for the search results to update, and even then, they match on notes with reminders due tomorrow! The "-remindertime:day+1" syntax is supposed to exclude any reminders with due dates > 24 hours from now, and consistently functioned that way in the past. I can't be bothered to do meticulous, detailed testing each time a new version of EN for Win comes out, to try and figure out what's changed and what new syntax might work to accomplish what I want. That is called regression testing, and it is the job of the company, not the user! Even so, I would gladly volunteer my time as regression tester, if only I had access to the real bug tracking system and some sort of commitment from EN to not distribute software that breaks long-established features that people depend on.

For that reason I refuse to even consider tasks, as my preliminary testing revealed a host of problems.

Reminders and tasks are just decorations (pretty formatting) if the underlying functionality isn't reliable.

Not sure what CMR is. If it is CRM (Customer Relationship Manager) well then...if EN support really is dog-fooding their own product, trying to use it as a CRM or ticketing system when it is broken for that, it's no wonder they are forever overwhelmed!

Sorry to hear you are having problems with Reminder alerts,  I use Reminders quite extensively with no problems. 

I also make extensive use of Tasks and again largely without any problems.   Yes the past version of Mobile has a minor issue for Recurring Task which is apparently addressed in the new update, the rollout of which is underway.   This is no more than a minor irritation as Tasks are working flawlessly in Windows Desktop and Web. 

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...

To the evernote staff. For christ sake what are you doing.

Nothing works at it should.

Tags are now harder to assign and do not show at the top of the note. You cannot but tags also anymore. 

App is now slower, less minimalistic, less reliable. After almost 10+ years I'm serious considering to leave.

I don't know why you remove features, like sort by tag. 

Never needed in my life reminders in evernote, but hey now we've got them but we do not have sort by tag anymore.

I'm using evernote legacy, but is not working well.

No wonder why all my friends are going to notion. Please to something or you will loose a faithful customer.

On 6/28/2023 at 11:13 AM, jbrady0986 said:

Loooong time user, I have 50,000 + notes.  In last few weeks, I cannot move notes at times, cannot open notes at times, and have to continually shut and reopen.  Latest problem is moving notes, watching them leave one notebook and go to another then coming back later to find they are back in the original spot.   I have 60+ GB of hard drive remaining and cannot understand what is going on.   I cannot trust EN at this point

Evernote lost their ship long time ago when they moved away from the now called legacy version. That was what evernote was all about.

I cannot trust this app anyway neither.

• Level 5

a) no staff around here, most of the time

b) descriptions like this (slow, unresponsive, mistakes in showing content, elevated CPU usage) speak for a corrupted local database. This can be fixed, by replacing the local data with a fresh download from the server.

c) legacy and sticking with it nearly killed the company. They build what is called technical debt, and it nearly broke them. It still was enough burden that in the end the former owners sold the entity.

That's the short story here. If you don't trust this app, pick another you believe you can trust better. Good luck - many of them will get under pressure, now that EN is getting their act together again. So better look for the financials than for the nice bling bling on their websites.

• Like 3
8 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

descriptions like this (slow, unresponsive, mistakes in showing content, elevated CPU usage) speak for a corrupted local database.

Will not get true if replicated 100 times. Even after working with EN10 for weeks (I run more than one account 😉), it is slow on average HW, shows mistakes in well formatted content, occupies to much space on average screens and makes it hard to keep overview over large note lists.

20 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Well folks,  you have 25 days from now to convert or migrate.  Your choice.

It will be interesting to watch the headlines in this forum when Legacy is out of the way.

I doubt everything with V10 is as rosy as some on the forum want us to believe, otherwise support would not be under water for so long. 

If they manage to cut their backlog it would be an indication that things get better. If not, days are counted for Evernote. Of course, that's only my personal view.

• Level 5*

Hmmn.  I think Bending Spoons - who are themselves IT heavy-hitters - decided to bring all operations close to their Italian base,  so parted on good terms with all their experienced US staff.  After all - how hard can it be for IT experts to support such a popular app?

• But losing US staff lit a fire under a lot of users who wanted explanations.
  • Once 'Spoons got full access I don't think they were quite expecting the lashed-together series of old coded fixes that was Evernote a year ago - still they're actively fixing and modernising things.  But deleting 7,000 lines (or was it 70,000? I forget..) of old code sometimes has repercussions you don't expect.
  • Frequent buggy hiccups caused more tickets and departures. 
  • And then the price went up.
  • Free apps got harder to use.
  • Legacy got a definite end date.
  • New v10 users (Legacy converts) find it hard to find some of the standard features that moved or now work differently

Any one of those events (and I've probably missed a few) would cause a run on a Support team (trust me - I've managed one) - but 6 or more triggers in 12 months is more than enough to sink one.  And we're not through yet - there are still users who haven't seen their new subscriptions,  others who aren't (yet) aware that Legacy closes toward the end of March.

Not looking forward to the Ides of March this year... :huh:

• Like 3
58 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Well folks,  you have 25 days from now to convert or migrate.  Your choice.

Actually, I don't have any time left. My legacy client stopped synching. Just a couple of days after the announcement and 4 weeks ahead of the announced date. That is plain incredible.

I am in a kind of offline mode. ENEX export still works but HTML export doesn't for all notebooks, et least not for the ones with about a 1000 notes in them (well, one of them has only 400 but with larger attachments).

I was fighting to stay, as I have been a paying customer for more than a decade. But how can anyone trust a company like that? So much about @Federico Simionato's "we do listen".

Come on Federico, 4 weeks ahead of the announced date?

19 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Not looking forward to the Ides of March this year... :huh:

+1 

They could alleviate some of that burden if they were more transparent with what they are working on, like acknowledging bugs and telling people what is about to be fixed.

Nobody likes to go through the hassle of opening a ticket and then having to wait for week for a response. If I see that my issues are worked on or at least registered with BS I would not open another ticket on the same topic. I bet 90% of tickets are duplicates on topics that have already been raised.  

• Like 1
  • Level 5

It is normal that a large part of tickets will be about the same topics - it is the definition of a bug that it affects a number of users. A support team working on a regular flow of tickets and issues can handle this.

The current situation with support is not regular, which leads to longer than acceptable time to answer, and for sure a backlog of open issues.

Once they are through with coaching all late coming legacy users, they may get a chance to find back on solid ground.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
30 minutes ago, Razmataz said:

4 weeks ahead of the announced date?

Oh please.  You've had 3 or 4 years to get used to the idea,  and multiple comments over that time.

31 minutes ago, Razmataz said:

I am in a kind of offline mode. ENEX export still works but HTML export doesn't for all notebooks, et least not for the ones with about a 1000 notes in them (well, one of them has only 400 but with larger attachments).

- and you can export your notebooks equally well from v10 - on any desktop.  ALL notes in any notebook are available.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Once they are through with coaching all late coming legacy users, they may get a chance to find back on solid ground.

ok, good to know who's responsible. 

29 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Oh please.  You've had 3 or 4 years to get used to the idea,  and multiple comments over that time.

Yes. But you cannot send an e-mail announcing end of service in a month and then switch it off next day. You find that really a serious way of doing business? Amazing. How can anyone be that blind? I have the e-mail. Service will end on March 23rd it said. Today is February 26th.

- and you can export your notebooks equally well from v10 - on any desktop.  ALL notes in any notebook are available.

That is NOT true. The HTML export in V10 is broken. has always been. The links to the attachments are incorrect, they do not work.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Razmataz said:

My legacy client stopped synching. Just a couple of days after the announcement and 4 weeks ahead of the announced date. That is plain incredible.

Me too 😞 Even that I run 6.25.3.9348 (309348) Public (CE Build ce-62.6.10954) - the last Legacy client I've seen so far on Windows.

It shows "0% HTTP request failed, code: 403, error: Forbidden" in activity log since yesterday. And not only while trying to sync. If I try to simply connect to an other account the login box tells me "Connection impossible - try again later" (my words - I'm on a German system 😉)

Interesting: This is true only on my (important) working PC. An other one works well so far...

@EN-Admins: Is it a temporary problem and will be fixed or did you really cut down these clients immediately after announcing 4 weeks to die?

Just now, AlbertR said:

Bingo - it resurrected from death. 👍

Thank God! But it is still crashing on HTML export of larger notebooks. V10 exports those, but the links to the attachments are broken. Go figure.

At least the ENEX export did work, as far as I can tell. I must be satisfied I guess 😥

Thanks anyway, Albert.