I'll pay for MultiLevel NB

Why Evernote refuses to implement Multi-Level Notebook ?

Can someone from Evernote company explain why do you refuse to implement  multi-level notebook (more than 2 level)?

• This feature is requested since the early days of Evernote
  • If tags were a valid an option  nobody asked for this feature
  • Implementing multi-level notebook it's not difficult.
  • The multi-level notebook is a necessity for "hard" users who have tens or hundreds noteboks, so you can sell it as premium feature.
  • Even you don't agree with my opinion why don't create a pool asking users if they want this feature ?
  • Tag based organization it's not so easy for some users:

So i finish as i started: Why don't you  implement multi-level notebooks ?

Yes, we really need another discussion on multi-level notebooks.

Evernote generally doesn't comment on these questions.

>>Implementing multi-level notebook it's not difficult.

Please provide details on how this would be done?

1. A model is the parent-child relationship implemented for tags; adding a parent field to the tag record.
  2.  A single level (Stacks) was implemented by adding a text field to the notebook record.
  3. Also a change is required to the UI to provide use of this feature.

Any such work would require funding.  
It's a fact that that the majority of users are unwilling to pay for this product.

• Like 1

"Oh great, another discussion on multi-level notebooks." Your comment it's the proof that a lot users are asking for this feature.

Just for the record i'm not asking the feature... i just want to know why Evernote refuse to listen the users....

"Evernote generally doesn't comment on these questions. " - Yes i know... they even block comments on the blog posts...

"Please provide details on how this would be done?"

Right click Over notebook name->Create Sub-note. It's too hard for you to imagine this ?

I can also provide you a data model to implement a mult-level hierarchy.

55 minutes ago, I'll pay for MultiLevel NB said:

Just for the record i'm not asking the feature... i just want to know why Evernote refuse to listen the users....

Well, it's clear that they listen, but that's not the same thing as 'obey'. In the past, they just suggested people to use tags: you can go to the original request (https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/96180-nesting-multiple-notebooks-creating-sub-notebooks/) and read all about it, and add your vote there if you want it. Or not. 

Who knows, though, maybe they will eventually. It just doesn't seem that high on their priority list, however.

57 minutes ago, I'll pay for MultiLevel NB said:

"Evernote generally doesn't comment on these questions. " - Yes i know... they even block comments on the blog posts...

I doubt that very much. They haven't  blocked forum commentary on it in the 10 years I've been around (see above link). And yes, in that link, there is Evernote commentary.

1 hour ago, I'll pay for MultiLevel NB said:

Gosh, do you think Evernote doesn't understand multi-level hierarchies? Oh wait, they do... tags, cough, cough...

2 hours ago, I'll pay for MultiLevel NB said:

I'm interested in your ideas on the data model

>>Right click Over notebook name->Create Sub-note. It's too hard for you to imagine this ?

That doesn't seem difficult.

More work will be required to store the data.  Also additional UI changes to view and use the sub-notebooks

I want multi level options...cough cough

I don't like tags...waste of time for my purposes...cough cough

On 6/2/2019 at 2:19 PM, vbiondi said:

So go and add your vote to the actual ongoing feature request here: 

On 6/2/2019 at 11:19 AM, vbiondi said:

Evernote implemented Stacks for notebooks; this provides two levels...cough cough1705345850_ScreenShot2019-06-03at14_01_37.png.37099f2a45f4d60d5421172277d48fba.png

Notebooks and Tags are useful tools for the control and organization of my data
I like the unlimited levels in Tags ...cough
 cough

I've always been a folder guy, but don't really care with Evernote as their search functionality is so good, it's not relevant to me. I can find anything I want in seconds, nested, tagged or otherwise. It's one of the standout features of EN.

The main reason I don't want them nesting deeper is unless they change the entire structure of their database, which isn't likely, stacks are virtual. So in looking at other apps, when you port over your data, you have individual folders with no structure at all. 

19 minutes ago, dbvirago said:

So in looking at other apps, when you port over your data, you have individual folders with no structure at all. 

It's your choice to use a single level, or multiple levels.

Please allow the rest of us to have a choice.  
Some of us our concerned with how to best organize our data.

Some our concerned with the name.  It must be called ******.  Any other name is unacceptable.

>>unless they change the entire structure of their database, which isn't likely

It's a simple database change.  Updating the UI is a killer.

>>stacks are virtual

All the hierarchy structure is virtual.  The computer has no real folders.

Implementing multi-level notebook it's not difficult.

It's a simple database change

Unfortunately, based on our current architecture and database design, it's NOT an easy change. It comes down to entity relationships (parent-child). Adding multiple levels of notebook nesting in the current architecture is just not doable. We've made certain consolations like Stacks or Spaces (for business customers), but these are basically giving you one additional level via a new entity type (vs. entities being able to relate to entities of the same type). 

We're currently actively rearchitecting a lot of the system. Changes in the system should allow for more flexibility in the future around entity relationships. I can't speak to any specific initiatives to allow for multiple levels of notebooks, but it should theoretically become easier in the future once we've completed our current work.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2