Chantal Leonard

Evernote for Mac 6.12 Beta 2 Released

Idea

Today we're releasing version 6.12 Beta 2 - you cadownload it here. This release fixes key bugs in the editor experience and re-enables move note functionality across accounts. It also introduces our image gallery mode to Mac.

New image gallery

Double-click on an image to enter the gallery mode, which allows you to quickly browse all the images in your note!

Fixed in Beta 2 build

• Inserting Google Drive docs in notes is now possible
  • Moving note across accounts now works 
  • Resolved issue that caused some notes to render blank in Beta 2
  • Resolved several issues that were causing some previously pasted-in content to render poorly
  • Improvements to loading performance for very long notes
  • Resolved issue that caused column widths to change upon multi-column drag-and-drop 
  • Various other bug fixes

As always, we're looking to the Beta community to help us uncover bugs - please let us know if you spot any issues in your existing workflows and let us know if you're able to take advantage of the new feature improvements. 

Thanks,

Chantal and the rest of the Mac and the Editor team! 

--------------------

Full release notes for version 6.12: 

Evernote for Mac 6.12 Release Notes

Major improvements to tables!

Some highlights of what you can do with tables now:

• Add more rows and columns with a single click: Point to where you want a new column and click the plus button that appears.
  • Choose the entire column or row just by clicking the header.
  • Drag and drop entire rows & columns.
  • Copy and paste multiple cells: Select the cells you want to move, copy them, move cursor to a new spot and paste all the cells with one click.
  • Adjust the width of one column without affecting the width of the column next to it.
  • Scroll horizontally to view a table with many columns without expanding your window.
  • Hover within a cell to activate advanced table options. 
    • You can distribute columns evenly
    • Match the table width to the width of your window
    • Change the alignment of items within cells
    • Add and change background colorsQuickly add rows and columns – via the plus button

New image gallery!

Double-click on an image to enter the gallery mode, which allows you to quickly browse all the images in your note!

Better multi-tasking 

Keep your Evernote content organized using tabs. Create a new tab by selecting the 'New Tab' option under the File menu. 
Pick up from where you left off - if you exit the app and re-open it, you'll return to your previously opened windows / state.

Separation of Business and Personal

No longer intermingle your business and personal content in your Evernote experience but still multi-task when you need to. Improving on 6.11 Beta 1 & 2, we've added support for having business and personal notes open side-by-side. 

Known issue: you cannot move notes between personal & business. 

Bug fixes

A number of user reported bugs are now fixed in this release:

• Evernote does not update business tags list after the sync
  • Pasting a large amount of text into a note fails with no error message
  • An intermittent crash on account switching
  • Images in some notes created by clipper were not displayed in the note  
  • Pasting content before a horizontal rule was sometimes resulting in the deletion of content below the horizontal rule

2 people like this

53 replies to this idea

On 2017-07-25 at 오후 4시 4분, Chantal Leonard said:

Today we're releasing version 6.12 Beta 2

Fixed: No longer aborts with AppleScript 

correction:  Just aborted on 
     Error Number: -609
     Evernote got an error: Connection is invalid.

The error seems to be on the export statement

Downgrading to v6.11 again

1 person likes this

When changing the view crash in the high-sierra beta 4. 
1 person likes this

11 hours ago, Chantal Leonard said:

Separation of Business and Personal

No longer intermingle your business and personal content in your Evernote experience but still multi-task when you need to. Improving on 6.11 Beta 1 & 2, we've added support for having business and personal notes open side-by-side. 

I'm curious to see this is action. How exactly can I test it?

Image gallery works nicely. Not sure that I'll ever use it though.

Tables - my expectation is that when I click in a cell, the cursor will be placed at the far left hand side. Currently (and in the last beta), it's one space in.

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, Metrodon said:

Image gallery works nicely. Not sure that I'll ever use it though.

Tables - my expectation is that when I click in a cell, the cursor will be placed at the far left hand side. Currently (and in the last beta), it's one space in.

Technically it is on the far left side, the new tables just have extra padding, which might make it a bit confusing. 

16 minutes ago, Jason Miller said:

Technically it is on the far left side, the new tables just have extra padding, which might make it a bit confusing. 

So how come I can cursor left one space?

5 hours ago, gatekeeper said:

I'm curious to see this is action. How exactly can I test it?

You should see it if you have a business account.

13 minutes ago, Metrodon said:

So how come I can cursor left one space?

I hate the padding. hate. it.

2 people like this

Still lots of problems with the separation of personal and business.

1. Switching looses all the open tabs, i.e. when I go to business and then return to personal all my tabs other than the first one are closed.

2. The window position isn't retained - especially when I use this in fullscreen mode, switching always ends the fullscreen mode.

I still think that this design decision is a great mistake, which will force me to revert my business account back to pro and work with shared notebooks. The benefits of the business edition are not worth the hassle for a small team like mine. 

What I need:

1. Seamless switching between personal and business account - no window repositioning, no leaving fullscreen mode.

2. Having the ability to have 2 Evernote windows side by side - one being personal and one being business. Not only one note but full Evernote windows with sidebar etc.

3. Drag and drop ability between those windows.

4. A search that searches all of my personal and my business notes.

Not sure how many customers who use Evernote Business and are not Beta tester are thinking like me. I still hope you rethink that design decision but am not keeping my hopes up.  

switching closes all tabs. closing and reopening evernote closes all tabs. no restoring anything.

the "image browser" I find useless.

I agree 100% with Palladion about the conceptual problems of separating business and personal the way it is now implemented. The things he asks for are what would make Evernote useable.

7 hours ago, Jason Miller said:

You should never use an actual SPACE character for padding.  This should be set in the CSS. 

Please make sure the behavior when clicking in a cell is to put the cursor in the text of the cell where the click was made.  Of course, if there is no text, it would be at the left-most, top-most position.

Also, if you TAB into a cell, I think it should select the contents of the cell, much like tabbing into a Text Box or Text Area on a form.  This is how Word 2011 works.

1 person likes this

22 hours ago, DTLow said:

Fixed: No longer aborts with AppleScript 

correction:  Just aborted on 
     Error Number: -609
     Evernote got an error: Connection is invalid.

@Evernote:  Please Fix AppleScript Support

@Chantal Leonard, @Jason Miller, @Johnathan Hebert

Please make sure AppleScript support is 100% working before you release the next production (GA) version of EN Mac.
I have many workflows I use many times a day that depend on EN Mac AppleScript.

Thanks.

1 person likes this

I upgraded to 6.12 a few days ago, and as of tonight am now on 6.12 Beta 2. (I'm running Sierra 10.12.4 on a MacBook Pro.)

I'm having problems with full text search after this update--I can locate notes manually in individual notebooks, but I'm unable to pull them up by searching for text in the note title or note body.  Searching for the same phrase pulls up the notes fine in the iOS app and in the Web version.  I've selected "Recreate Full Text Search Index" from the updated Help tools but it doesn't seem to solve the problem. (As an aside: I don't know how long that process is supposed to take, and searches in this forum on that tool don't provide illumination on that process. Is it a ten-minute process? An hour? 24 hours? Do I need to leave the computer on overnight? Do I need to adjust the power management settings so it doesn't go to sleep? Will Activity Monitor give me a sense as to when it is done? How long should I wait before trying it anew? Does trying it anew start the process over from scratch?) I don't know if it's just a botched installation or if its a bug in 6.12--I posted a version of this in the Mac forum but people encouraged me to cross-post to here.

At this point I'm considering the old "back up the database build then delete the app, reinstall, and restore," but I really only like to do that as a measure of last resort. Any other suggestions would be welcome.

15 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

You should never use an actual SPACE character for padding.  This should be set in the CSS. 

Please make sure the behavior when clicking in a cell is to put the cursor in the text of the cell where the click was made.  Of course, if there is no text, it would be at the left-most, top-most position.

Also, if you TAB into a cell, I think it should select the contents of the cell, much like tabbing into a Text Box or Text Area on a form.  This is how Word 2011 works.

It looks like a space, but is cell padding 

As for Tab it is selecting text for me - are you seeing some different. 

How about getting rid of the padding because it's horrible and pointless and annoying and I can't believe a single user asked for it?

55 minutes ago, Metrodon said:

How about getting rid of the padding because it's horrible and pointless and annoying and I can't believe a single user asked for it?

No one did. it is a side effect of the new table formats, and it is infecting every platform. Hate it. I'd rather have teh boring old tables than the new flashy ones with padding, but I know some people love the new table feature. I like it, but not at this cost.

Generally I think tables are improved. Some strange design choices though, the padding is awful and horizontal scrolling looks and behaves very strangely.

On 7/27/2017 at 5:17 PM, Metrodon said:

How about getting rid of the padding because it's horrible and pointless and annoying

I haven't tested this BETA, so it may be "horrible".  But are you sure you really want NO padding?  With no padding the text will run right against the cell borders, which I do not think is very readable or pleasing.  We need some padding, but not too much.  Perhaps it should be a setting in EN Mac Preferences.

There is some small padding in EN Mac 6.9.2.  I just tested it.  Here's a screenshot:

2017-07-29_17-12-25.png.dc2c02ed721550a9b6cb5b9955341af2.png

Word 2011 Screenshot

2017-07-29_17-41-17.png.3cf35f7694c73f79298267daa26912f4.png

I for one do not like zero cell padding.

@Jason Miller (Evernote), please provide for a small amount of padding (like 0.05"), or a setting in EN Mac Preferences.

I'm quite happy to go right to the borders. If I want to leave space, I'll add one.

There's about as much chance of this being a user option as there is of a linux client being released....

10 minutes ago, Metrodon said:

I'm quite happy to go right to the borders.

I honestly think you are in the minority here.  I can't recall seeing any web site that shows table borders and the cell padding is zero.

Evidently the Evernote designers think the same thing, since EN Mac table cell padding has been non-zero since the beginning.

Is it just me, or in the new beta I can't create classic evernote links with the Option click - every note link now goes to safari.

Missing link to database folder: About Evernote with option key = no link ...

Hello 

I justed have installed the beta new version. And I work with -tag:* when I search.  I have everytime an error. Can you fix that today or help me to go back to

the older version? I's very important otherwise I cant' work anymore. I have evrything on evernote. Thanks.

Best, Ralf

On 7/27/2017 at 9:24 AM, Jason Miller said:

As for Tab it is selecting text for me - are you seeing some different. 

That is good if it does.  In both Ver 6.9.2 and 6.11.1 a TAB does NOT select the content of the next cell.  It simply positions the cursor at the start of the cell.
Running. macOS 10.11.6.

I have noticed a couple of irritating formating issues - 

- Typing some auto text like emojis and any TextExpander expansions (with a space afterwards it seems), takes the cursor to the end of the paragraph. Very annoying as it interrupts the flow of note taking. 

- Copying text out of Evernote into Word/TextEdit, all the apostrophes are replaced with garbled text. Also very annoying when I have to do a manual S&R. I am sure this worked correctly before. 

1 person likes this