Did line spacing just change? EN 10.84.3 Windows

Luckily I found an installer file for an older EN version (10.83.5). Downgraded to that, and line spacing is back to "normal" again. 

Is there any way to prevent Evernote from auto-update?

• Sad 2

Another reason to get a possibility to adjust spacings on user's site...
As I read the headline, I hoped to get smaller spacings in note list lines. I'm loosing hope to get a compacter display. 😞

On 4/10/2024 at 9:30 PM, janndk said:

Luckily I found an installer file for an older EN version (10.83.5). Downgraded to that, and line spacing is back to "normal" again. 

Is there any way to prevent Evernote from auto-update?

Evernote auto-updated back to 10.84.3 --> Line spacing ruined again. Grrrrrr 😡

• Sad 1

On Android, this formatting change has made the app borderline unusable.

I'm a paying customer and I'm not happy. 

Either give us control over formatting or stop ***** with the app.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
14 hours ago, janndk said:

Evernote auto-updated back to 10.84.3 --> Line spacing ruined again. Grrrrrr 😡

Yeah, this worthless formatting change has made me angry. 🤬

• Like 3

I really don't understand this.  If I had a workshop which adjusted where all my tools were because somebody else thought they needed to be elsewhere, I'd be rather annoyed.  It's the same with Evernote.  By all means, introduce a way of changing the line spacing and then let the individuals change if they want - but to automatically introduce it as the default setting and to then have your previous lists/notes shown with this new spacing is awful.  

I guess that my annoyance will not stop unless I downgrade to the earlier version and stop the auto update.

So:

1) Where can I find 10.83.5?

2) How do I stop auto updates?

Thank you to anybody out there who can help.

Graham

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

I share similar thoughts. This recent constant change of how my notes look and sometimes function (blue internal links anybody?, press '/' to insert an element?, AI Edit, AI Edit, AI Edit) along with A/B and beta testing on users and sometimes buggy releases has been somewhat of a turn off for me personally. 

You can't turn off auto updates and so installing a slightly older version will only be a temporary reprieve.

• Like 3

Thanks Boot17.  I suppose my only reprieve will be to use a different program.  I fully agree with your words on the beta testing and buggy releases.  What I cannot understand is how an organisation can consider it acceptable to change the default view of something and expect that the change is going to be fine with everybody.  If there was a work-around - in this case having a line spacing pulldown item/default - then fine.  But to just change something without having the ability to revert is rather arrogant.

I do feel that typing the above is an entire waste of time in that it will achieve nothing.  I would like to be proven wrong, but I expect that Evernote's ears are closed and that the default line spacing will remain without the ability to change via a dropdown and without a tickbox to allow that setting to be your own default.  

If anybody from Evernote-staff reads this, I would appreciate your thoughts.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I was wondering what was wrong with my EN installation on windows until I found this thread. Get this on Windows, Android and web now. I am not fine with changing the default view for everybody without any notice to or choice by the user. I sent a note to feedback@evernote.com.

• Like 5

I have the same issue on Mac, and it makes my regular use of long lists much more difficult to use and see my lists.  I agree with @landymangk in this thread: if you're going to introduce a meaningful formatting change and make it the default, at least give the user a way to adjust it.  I'll have to find a way to downgrade and turn auto-updates off again (I had to do this several years back too when every new update brought new bugs and changes, but I thought those days were behind me.  It's sad that Evernote seems to be returning to its old ways again).

• Like 1

I did this downgrade myself to remove the line spacing issue.  I then investigated alternatives and have now exported all my notes into UpNote.  

I'm afraid that Evernote has done this 'upgrade' imposition too often.  I'm still annoyed at the 'Press "/" to insert an element' fiasco.  Introduced without the option to remove until enough people complained and then the option to remove appeared.  Imagine if enough people in the eyes of Evernote hadn't complained.  We'd now be suffering this annoying reminder everytime that we clicked 'enter'. Going back in time, the choice of fonts shrunk to a few - all in the name of keeping things uniform across platforms.  ie, a reduction in choice was imposed on us.

I've been with Evernote since 2011 but I've now had enough.  UpNote does all that I need.  It's very clean.  And it lets the user set the line spacing by using a simple slider.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

The formatting change on line spacing is infuriating and I will likely have to write elsewhere. If there was a setting where I had a choice I’d appreciate it but revamping the layout was a bad move.   

Latest o/s updates on iMac and iPhone

I was starting to be on my way out due to the v10 UI Revamp from January/February. The 'Press "/" to insert an element', AI Edit Popup, Files Feature, Green to Blue internal links, increased line spacing and probably more (that I can't remember off the top of my head) just confirmed it for me.

I loved v10 and I was actually fine paying up to $200 a year because I got so much value out of Evernote up until a couple of months ago.

However, I need a stable Evernote to be productive. Probably 90% of my usage is for productivity work and 10% usage is for archive/file storage. I'm sure if those numbers were flipped it might be a different story for me. The constant churn, bugs, and beta and A/B testing on users gives me a feeling of loss of control and unproductiveness and some of the recent changes just aren't for me. I feel like I'm on shaky ground and I keep wondering what is going to change or break next? Maybe it works for their bottom line and they should do what is best for them, but I have to do what is best for me too.

Perhaps I'll be back if and when the dust ever settles.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
59 minutes ago, Boot17 said:

I was starting to be on my way out due to the v10 UI Revamp from January/February. The 'Press "/" to insert an element', AI Edit Popup, Files Feature, Green to Blue internal links, increased line spacing and probably more (that I can't remember off the top of my head) just confirmed it for me.

I loved v10 and I was actually fine paying up to $200 a year because I got so much value out of Evernote up until a couple of months ago.

However, I need a stable Evernote to be productive. Probably 90% of my usage is for productivity work and 10% usage is for archive/file storage. I'm sure if those numbers were flipped it might be a different story for me. The constant churn, bugs, and beta and A/B testing on users gives me a feeling of loss of control and unproductiveness and some of the recent changes just aren't for me. I feel like I'm on shaky ground and I keep wondering what is next? Maybe it works for their bottom line and they should do what is best for them, but I gotta do what is best for me too.

Perhaps I'll be back if and when the dust ever settles.

I'm in pretty much the same situation. EN 10 would basically be a perfect match for my workflow and needs - it just doesn't work, and the UI is totally messed up and changes randomly.

Have already moved most of my stuff away. At the moment waiting to see how that new reformed/extended tasks function turns out.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2
27 minutes ago, Akos_M said:

Where did you move?

To several places - mostly to OneNote and TickTick - and I also did some serious clean-up, so a lot of stuff went to trash.

Also exported a copy of all content to UpNote, for testing. 

I have about 200 notes/projects left in my currently active Evernote account. Still have a lot of old stuff in another EN account (which is already canceled), but maybe I just leave it there as extra backup.

• Like 1

This is a terrible change by Evernote. All my notes look completely different and I would not have paid for my annual subscription recently if I knew this update was coming.

It is completlely unreasonable to roll out an update which changes some of the core aesthetic functions of the software with no warning to users.

• Level 5
8 hours ago, mackid1993 said:

This may be a design choice:

I can buy that at the bottom of a note. But why all the added internal space between lines? More comfy, more ergonomic, blah blah. But quite a number of people are not looking for a cat experience with a note-taking app: something that is comfy and cute to look at it, and completely unresponsive to your wishes. We'd rather have a dog experience: faithful, obedient, loving, and loyal. It may even be homely; but it will go get your sheep when you tell it to.

Does it seem to you that they pay any attention to feedback on X?

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

I can buy that at the bottom of a note. But why all the added internal space between lines? More comfy, more ergonomic, blah blah. But quite a number of people are not looking for a cat experience with a note-taking app: something that is comfy and cute to look at it, and completely unresponsive to your wishes. We'd rather have a dog experience: faithful, obedient, loving, and loyal. It may even be homely; but it will go get your sheep when you tell it to.

Does it seem to you that they pay any attention to feedback on X?

I've gotten a few likes and responses from both the Evernote account and Federico.

• Like 2

Maybe some good news here on X. Tagging @janndk to maybe give him some hope that they have a Reliability & Performance team. Time will tell if they live up to their name or if it's just one guy in a basement with a can of Red Bull and some Doritos.

image.png.8299e74b7a974889ad47a95161f114bc.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

All the fixing of issues and the creation of new features that the Evernote teams may be working on though does not address the issue of "attitude".  To write code which changes the appearance of something, and then distribute it as the default setting for everybody - without the option to remove it - that is arrogance.  We have had many examples of this over the years from Evernote.

A few weeks ago when the increased line spacing appeared on my screens, I had a monkey on each shoulder.  One monkey was shouting that the arrogance-gene within Evernote is strongest while the other monkey was whispering that Evernote will listen to its customers and give them the options.  I went with the shouting monkey, left and tansferred my notes to UpNote. 

It's too late for me but for the sake of the people who are still subscribing to Evernote I hope that Evernote changes and the whispering monkey can be correct.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Luckily I don't hear voices of screaming monkeys in my head, however I do share they are too lose with changes, impact on end-users, etc. for this professionally used tool on which I rely heavily. They should introduce a more concrete alpha, beta, pilot, final channel division as far as I am concerned. However I do like the balls they have and the flexibility. Not the quality so much.

• Like 3
19 horas atrás, Boot17 disse:

However, I need a stable Evernote to be productive. Probably 90% of my usage is for productivity work and 10% usage is for archive/file storage. I'm sure if those numbers were flipped it might be a different story for me. The constant churn, bugs, and beta and A/B testing on users gives me a feeling of loss of control and unproductiveness and some of the recent changes just aren't for me. I feel like I'm on shaky ground and I keep wondering what is next? Maybe it works for their bottom line and they should do what is best for them, but I gotta do what is best for me too.

I am living proof of your argument because I am its complete opposite. 80% of my use of Evernote is for saving files and notes and 20% for work and productivity, so these changes affect me very little. Honestly, until today I haven't been able to really notice this change in spacing. 🤭

• Like 2
6 hours ago, mackid1993 said:

Maybe some good news here on X. Tagging @janndk to maybe give him some hope that they have a Reliability & Performance team. Time will tell if they live up to their name or if it's just one guy in a basement with a can of Red Bull and some Doritos.

image.png.8299e74b7a974889ad47a95161f114bc.png

Maybe, maybe not. Don't really know what to think or believe. But it confirms that the focus is on new things, and bug fixing has the lowest priority at Evernote.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

It's a little obvious to me that the current Evernote team likes to test things and make changes quickly and in large quantities. I agree that it would be better to have a stable version and another for testing but I don't see that happening at the moment. For those whose changes unfortunately hinder productivity, a new app may be the best option.

• Like 1

Earlier this week, EN posted this on Twitter: "It's only been 3 months, we're still warming up."

Wasn't the acquisition completed 15 months ago, per EN's own blog? Didn't they go through an extended period of nerfing platform reliability last summer (ahem--reworking the backend), when people (me included) were losing data all over the place? Frederico himself announced in this forum back in September (that's 7 months ago) that they were rolling out AI-powered search.

Three months?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Maybe the 3 months refers to roughly the point in time where they finally got their feet under them having tackled a lot of the technical debt and feeling comfortable enough with the domain knowledge to start shaking things up a bit and pushing out a lot of new features. But, yeah, they were making some changes before 3 months ago. The initial AI Note Cleanup came out like almost 10 months ago or so?

• Like 1
  • Level 5
10 hours ago, Cristiano478 said:

It's a little obvious to me that the current Evernote team likes to test things and make changes quickly and in large quantities. I agree that it would be better to have a stable version and another for testing but I don't see that happening at the moment. For those whose changes unfortunately hinder productivity, a new app may be the best option.

Does anyone know (preferably from personal experience) if Bending  Spoons takes this approach with its other apps? Do users of those apps also experience sudden changes to the user interface (and therefore to usability), the sudden presence of new features that are clearly unfinished, etc.? Or is this something they are trying out with Evernote specifically?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
20 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

if Bending  Spoons takes this approach with its other apps?

I only see tools for short editing/changing e.g. photo's/video's in their portfolio. That is different from a PKM tool like Evernote. Such a PKM doesn't serve for short-time projects for which you can find alternatives fast.

• Like 3
On 4/22/2024 at 7:22 PM, Federico Simionato said:

We're fixing this soon. Likely in a week or two.

Fixing the line spacing, or fixing the desire for a stable channel of releases for professional use of a stable PKM Evernote not surprising us many, many times with showstoppers of big consequence in our workflows?

Both/either is appreciated! ♥️

I ask this because the thread is about line spacing, the posts above yours about stability/predictability/reliability. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is terrible and very annoying. Auto update (10.85.4 MAC in may case) ruined all my notes, line spacing seems to be close to 2 or something. Hardly readable.

Please revert this change asap and earlier than in two weeks.

• Like 1
On 4/20/2024 at 7:17 AM, landymangk said:

All the fixing of issues and the creation of new features that the Evernote teams may be working on though does not address the issue of "attitude".  To write code which changes the appearance of something, and then distribute it as the default setting for everybody - without the option to remove it - that is arrogance. 

Absolutely right. Upgrades and adding features is one thing -- I can choose not to use something that is newly introduced. But automatic and irreversible changes to the appearance of the content that we have created according to old parameters is unacceptable.

Evernote should respect their users right to preserve a style of working that their own software has helped them formulate. Any changes should be options, not fiat.

Users have the right to a simple unformatted note!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
On 4/19/2024 at 6:34 PM, janndk said:

Also exported a copy of all content to UpNote, for testing.

Keen to know your impressions of UpNote! Please post!

Sorry, I've not kept up with this thread.  

I switched to UpNote and have used that exclusively since.  UpNote is better than Evernote for my purposes.  I therefore left this thread behind.

I exported all my notes from Evernote, imported them to UpNote. 

For me, it was a trial and I was entirely open to whichever way it turned out.  Purchased UpNote so that I was comparing like-with-like.  A lifetime purchase at a very reasonable price.  I was going into the comparison test with open eyes and with no opinion either way.  However, I've been blown away with the simplicity of UpNote.  I don't want AI in my notes.  They are notes and lists.  I don't need URLs appearing in them which are of zero use.   

So, my impression - I've cancelled my Evernote auto renewal.  I've removed Evernote from my 3 PCs, my tablet and my phones.  UpNote is now installed on all those devices instead.  

However.  You don't need to take my word for it.  My above testing took less than an evening.  I had nothing to lose and everything to potentially gain.  The gain for me was massive.  Try it for yourself.  If the gain for you is not there, then you have not left Evernote and you can simply continue.  

• Like 2
  • Level 5

You want to explain us how clever you are ?

Or are you interested in line spacing issues ?

If (a) you didn’t impress. If (b) you didn’t contribute.

I am sorry PinkElephant.  I was asked for my impressions on UpNote.  I have been with Evernote since 2011 and originally loved it.  Evernote then imposed various changes - one of them being the line spacing which my earlier posting fully detailed.  As a result of not being able to communicate with Evernote's design team to solve my issue, I did a comparative test with other software.  This is not clever or trying to impress - it's what we do when something doesn't work and we cannot communicate with the designers for a fix: we test alternatives.  Kallagh then legitimately asked me about my testing outcomes and I provided that response.  ie, a complete link back to the line spacing issue.  

I included in my "impressions" that my gains were personal.  I also advised that others can do the same as myself and perform a parallel test.  I also noted that others may wish to stay with Evernote.  

I therefore am not being clever.  I do not try to impress.  I was asked a specific question following from my earlier posting and I gave a response detailing my actions.

For the record, I do not post on social media at all.  This forum is the only one that I have used, and that is due to this forum being the only way to possibly communicate with Evernote itself.  Furthermore, I also typed this response and left it for the afternoon before re-reading, updating and then posting - to remove the impulse-reaction to which most of us can suffer.

I am therefore disappointed in the posting from yourself PinkElephant (sent within seconds of my post) following my qualified response to a question.  Even if you did not find my response of value, I hope and expect that others may.

I left Evernote as the app developed in a different way to which suited my requirements.  I am leaving this thread as there is no value in reading postings like that provided by PinkElephant when I spent time to provide a detailed and measured response to a question.  However, thank you PinkElephant: your response reinforced to me why it is unhealthy to read postings on social media.  Your example has been invaluable.  For that I thank you.

An apology to all others: this posting does not contribute to the thread.  It was however necessary to respond to the above posting which personally attacked me.

• Like 6
  • Level 5*
5 minutes ago, landymangk said:

An apology to all others

No apology needed.  The post you responded to was overly snarky, inappropriate, and didn’t contribute.

• Like 4
6 hours ago, Kallagh said:

Keen to know your impressions of UpNote! Please post!

Still haven't used it so much other than testing - so there can be some unknown issues - but i'm quite impressed and have generally only good things to say about UpNote.

However, missing a couple of [for me] important functions. Mostly just one: tasks 😢

In some other ways it works better compared to Evernote: 
- extremely fast
- high programming quality
- print and pdf export working
- nice and pleasant UI
- adjustable line spacing etc 😍👍

upnote01.png.6122de76ac21ac6d02ed3d00a3c07168.png

• Like 1
On 5/4/2024 at 3:35 AM, PinkElephant said:

You want to explain us how clever you are ?

Or are you interested in line spacing issues ?

If (a) you didn’t impress. If (b) you didn’t contribute.

Every place I go, Pink Elephant is there to insult someone. Do you have a life? or are you just a keyboard warrior. Not all of us are professional EN experts. We're just looking for a little help. Lighten up

• Like 1
On 4/22/2024 at 8:22 PM, Federico Simionato said:

Hello. More than 2 weeks have passed and this still hasn't been fixed with the latest update, as of today. When are you going to fix this?

• Like 6

Would love to have control over both line spacing (within a paragraph) and line spacing between paragraphs. 

I’ve been an Evernote user for a very long time. 

I saw someone post that “this will be fixed soon” - I hope they were referring to the line spacing changes. 

I would also like to raise my concerns regarding the current spacing.

It would be very helpful if it can be put back as it was - like almost every other word processing tool that I use / used functions.

I find myself double spacing everywhere - where I would normally single space - but it's too much space.

Thank you!

Federico Simionato 
I’ve been a user since Sep 2011, when Evernote was easy to learn with adequate features.
It seems like EN has gone the way of other applications; under the care of people more interested in increasing overhead by decreasing costs, most notably support and maintenance.

I applaud the efforts of you and your staff. I can imagine why they are mostly anonymous.
When I was employed as a customer advocate, I was blessed by being in a company whose software was supported by staff who took pride in their work and were compensated appropriately. Life got worse when the culture changed due to new ownership and customers began having issues similar to the one discussed here (e.g., unacceptable upgrades, lack of response from Development). The best people in R&D were let go and their roles given to less talented, less experienced people with lower pay. I hope this is not the case with you.

Your estimate of “soon” and “a couple weeks” for fixing the “easy” problem of managing line spacing were optimistic.
What is your current plan and schedule?

Just download and installed (on Mac O/S).
No change to paragraph spacing, and no option for adjusting paragraph spacing in either tables or text.
If there was supposed to be an option, please provide a reference.

9 minutes ago, Tony Waisanen said:

If there was supposed to be an option, please provide a reference.

Sure just a moment, hold on while I check with the team. 🙄

Would love to have control over both line spacing (within a paragraph) and line spacing between paragraphs. 

I saw someone post that “this will be fixed soon” - I hope they were referring to the line spacing changes. 

Update: 13-May-2024: I just tested again on EN 10.86.1 (iPhone) and do not see any options to change line spacing or paragraph spacing.

I also did not see any app updates available in the Apple App Store. 

5 hours ago, Dave Cohen said:

Update: 13-May-2024: I just tested again on EN 10.86.1 (iPhone) and do not see any options to change line spacing or paragraph spacing.

I also did not see any app updates available in the Apple App Store. 

No one said anything about controlling line spacing, the product head said the line spacing bug is known and will be fixed. There have been a bunch of bugs introduced lately that have directly affected functionality rather than being a cosmetic annoyance, therefore I would assume those are being prioritized over things that are purely cosmetic like line spacing that many users for example myself haven't even noticed.

I noticed a spacing issue with tables but that was fixed in 10.87, I'm still not sure what issue this thread refers to so it's hard for me to tell if it's fixed or not. It simply doesn't stand out to me.

@mackid1993 I consider the line spacing issue to be an annoyance. 

I have a bunch of notes that I have written and over the last few months it became obvious that the line spacing (within a paragraph) had changed, as well as the line spacing for new paragraphs (used to be single space, now it’s more like double-spaced. 

is this a show-stopper? No, it isn’t. 

For me, it’s an annoyance. 

Does it detract from my Evernote experience? Yes, it does. 

Will it cause me to stop using Evernote? Probably not. 

Will Evernote doubling its price from last year to this year cause me to look elsewhere? Probably. 

• Like 1

I have used Evernote for years. My oeuvre is catalogued and cached here. The way I’ve been able to format words has been integral to my art. Good thing I kept screenshots because what I created has all been reformatted. Years of work. It probably doesn’t make sense anymore to continue here.

I have loved so much about Evernote - particularly as a safe location to store my oeuvre, the stability of the platform, the font and my ease of getting my work done. I recognize that “Things Change” but I’m probably going to have to pack up and migrate away. 

Evernote: Make any changes you wish. Just give me a Switch to Native Formatting button and I’ll be fine. 

...or a month or two?

• Like 1

I'm on Mac, but was forced to upgrade to 10.88, and now am seeing this undesirable line spacing.  Since my note-taking style is to limit typing to fit within my margins, and therefore to use <CR> frequently, EVERY LINE in EVERY NOTE I have ever taken now has double spacing.  It looks horrible, and makes my notes almost unreadable without a lot of scrolling.

How do I downgrade?  Is there a link to older versions?  I'm skeptical that a downgrade will work, since the upgrade was forced; I couldn't even see my notes until I performed the upgrade.  That too is bad practice.  Suppose I was traveling, and didn't have the bandwidth to download the upgrade?  I would have lost access to my notes.  Moreover, at the same time I was forced to reset my password.  Same concern; suppose I was traveling?  Bad practice!

Addendum: I downloaded 10.83.4 from https://evernote.en.uptodown.com/mac/post-download/1005701961
However, it does not work.  Like whatever version I was running before 10.88, it merely popped up a message telling me to upgrade.
This is the same upgrade that was forced on me previously.  Therefore, it seems impossible to avoid 10.88, which has doubled the
line spacing and gives me no control over it.  If they don't fix this very soon (like within a week), I will cancel my Premium subscription
and leave Evernote forever.  In a note-taker app, no version upgrade should *ever* change the appearance of your old notes.

• Like 4

Anything new about this?

As of the today's update (drumroll). No. Still not fixed. Wonder, why is it so hard to actually fix this? Also, who had the bright idea to reduce real estate on mobile screen?

• Like 2

I am also eagerly waiting for a fix. It is painful to work with my notes and see less information and more whitespace than before.
I tried to use [Shift]-[Enter] instead of [Enter], hoping that my lines would be closer to each other, but Shift-Enter adds the same space as Enter does, so no resolution.
I started to doubt myself: Before there was a different line-spacing between Shift-Enter and Enter, but not anymore.  Am I right on this?
If so, I hope that this will also be fixed!

well, I think it is bearable if the "Enter" key is not pressed so that no new paragraph is created or only when it makes sense. 

Having said that I really prefer to have adjustable line spacing like it is implemented in some of the competing notes apps.